Completed Vintage Dwarven Wine

Hot damn, look at that. Seredic popped that big bastard right out of the sign. Nyght's body caught the ruby tossed to her and pocketed it.

"Got the magic touch there, bossman," said Scythe.
"Do a little moonlighting as something that's not a wine critic?" said Nyght.

Maybe he did. Or maybe he used that dagger for some other hush-hush stuff. Seredic had a knack for comin' up behind some unsuspecting, previously-engaged saps and giving them the business--just look at what happened yesterday with those Black Falcons in the library. More push comes to shove happens down here, maybe Scythe and Nyght could hold those soldier pricks (or whatever else lurked in abandoned ruins) down and Seredic could stab the hell outta 'em.

Scythe and Nyght followed Seredic across the bridge. Briefly pondered, at the beginning of his tale, how often halflings actually did need to worry about people pissing on them. Height seemed to have less to do with it than location and timing, but uh, it probably didn't help.

Pah. Allirian Rangers. Fuckin' Allirian assholes, more like.

Across the bridge they went.

"You aspirin' to be a 'Sir' Seredic one day?" asked Scythe.
"Or would that get in the way of your 'Seredic the Wine Wizard' gig?" asked Nyght.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Seredic
Seredic laughed as the trio entered through the door. "I'm not a thief if that's what you're talking about," he said. "As for Knighthood, I can barely handle my kitchen knife much less a blade." Seredic stared at his dagger wiping the dust off the small weapon. "Me fighting in a battle is like dancing on two left feet," he snorted. "I'll stick to being the sardonic wine critic."

The trio went deeper into the mines, Seredic looked at the large ventilation shafts on the ceiling. "You see those up there?" Seredic said. "They are shafts used proved natural sunlight and air, for all their love of living underground, even the Dwarves need their oxygen."

There were also stories that during the Age of Wonders, the Dwarves created a machine which naturally generated sunlight and oxygen. Of all the tools that the Dwarves created, that machine had to be the most innovative of them all. Just imagine how beneficial that tool would be for villages who struggle grow crops in dark and damp areas. such a shame that it was lost to history like many others.

"This place....." Seredic marveled at the abandoned Dwarven mine. The walls glittered with rubies, diamonds and sapphires. Statues of Dwarven miners loomed large as old machinery stood still in their places collecting cobwebs. Even though it no longer possesses the glory it once had, the mine was a sight to behold.

"It's mine, a simple mine to a Dwarf," Seredic said smiling. "But to others it is majestic, built deep into the mountains. The Dwarves created machinery that the world has never seen to access to a wealth of minerals that proved to innovate our world."

Seredic never thought that he would see a place like this. The Halfling only saw snippets from a Dwarven preservation site in Daybreak Village a town located along the Gold Road. "Precious gems have been carefully contracted from the mountain. And even today we see the glittering gems before us running like rivers through rock."

The Halfling gave an airy sigh before turning to Samuel and Samantha. "Which means there's more stuff for to take," he said breaking the wonderous feeling he had. "Consider this my pay for sticking with me. Just try not to take a lot the last thing we need is one of you trying to fit a gem through your overstuffed pants while you waddle like a Hill Giant after eating a village."

Seredic continued to walk through the mine until he saw those two soldiers far ahead of them approaching what appeared to be a mage holding something..... "Damn," Seredic gripped his walking stick. "Well we're so far away from them that they can't see us. But that's the only path we can take."

The Halfling glanced at the Twins. "Maybe if we wait they'll walk away," he said.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Scythe and Nyght
Heh. "Oxygen." One of them fancy, learned, scholarly words for air. Scythe and Nyght brushed up on that sort of language from time to time thanks to working with the Philanthropist (even if he, in a perfect contrast, went down from "noble speak" to common vernacular while alone in their presence).

But to the point: dwarves needed air to breathe? Shit, the way they drank, Scythe and Nyght coulda been fooled. Well, jokes aside, Scythe and Nyght did notice now that the air in the cavernous ruins wasn't as stuffy as it ought to be. Thanks dwarves, specifically those long-dead dwarves who carved out those shafts, they'd raise a pint in those dwarves' honor sometime.

And then...the mine. With its walls sparkling with gemstones.

"Ho-lee-shit," said Scythe.
"We're gonna need a minute," said Nyght.

But Seredic already had the right idea: fuckin' wait up a minute and let them loot the place. Shame they only had their pants pockets to stuff goodies into. Maybe their coat pockets, but, with said coats wrapped around their waists, that was a proposition which promised more gems on the floor than anywhere else. Wasted effort.

So they stuck with their pants pockets, Scythe's body whipping out the knife again and popping out what rubies, diamonds, and sapphires he could. It turned out to be a moot point, the whole storage capacity problem, since the knife proved lacking in freeing most of the gems from their place in the cavern wall--heavy tools would've been required.

Detour done with, they followed after Seredic again, their steps now accompanied by the light clicking and clacking clatter of gems gently bouncing against one another in their pockets.

Then, those Cintria boys. Them and some robed guy. Way up there. Now seemed like a good time to hide their own light-source, but fuck it, it is what it is.

"Wait. We can do waiting," said Scythe.
"That's one of the top five things we're good at," said Nyght.

• Popcorn
If anything Samuel and Samantha were predictable they played the typical mercenary role to a hilt. It wouldn't surprise Seredic one bit if they ended blowing whatever coin they receive from the gems they've collected on prostitutes and alcohol. Seredic continued to watch the guards approach the robed man who was wielding a pristine wooden staff that was as long as he was tall. A red orb was perched on top of it, was he a mage?

A small wave of his hand followed by a glowing beam of light confirmed Seredic's suspicions. The sounds of trinkets bouncing and colliding with one another in Samuel and Samantha's pockets reached the Halfling's ears. His eyebrows crinkled into a frown as he craned his head towards them. "Does one of those things in your top five include staying silent?" he whispered agitated. "I prefer not to get turned into ashes because of your carelessness."

He never sank this amount of coin into a bunch of black hearted imbeceiles. It's probably a better investment to buy terrible wine made by soulless bigots like Vel Anir. Alas he's stuck with these twins so Seredic better stop bitching and pray that they not fuck up.

"You're late," the mage said to the approaching soldiers summoning what appeared to be a green luminescent magical seal. The seal was covered with bizarre symbols so small that Seredic struggled to see them. He read many books about magical language and incantations. Seredic has seen that kind of seal before.

proxy.php

When the magical circle went gently onto the ground, Seredic turned to the twins. "You see that circle?" he whispered. "I believe that's an unsealing circle. I've read in a book that when a spell is too strong to break, then a mage can use this as a way to bypass the incantations. However it's not a guarantee."

"We apologize Lord Adrian," one of the soldiers said. "We had to deal with disobedient slaves this morning. They were..... disobedient but they will obey us now." Adrian snorted. "They are prisoners of war private Cassir," he retorted. "In case we run into trouble with Maaraan or the cities around the Savannah that Ambassador Shilard negotiated. We must insist they are POWs. Slavery is frowned upon and we do not our negotiations to fail because of it."

"My lord," Cassir said. "The slaves are prisoners of war, tribes along the mountains who were conquered by us. Besides our operations have been carefully concealed by the Sandstorm produced by-"

"I know!" Adrian frowned. "The ancient Dwarf! That scientist who produced that machine that summon a sandstorm. It has been very helpful, but last time Ambassador Shilard and I left it was broken."

"The Scientist has repaired it lord Adrian!" the solider said. "He and his Dwarves made a breakthrough this morning! It should be up by now!"

The mage gave a curt nod, "what news from the Dwarven Kingdom?" he asked. "Did he make any progress?"

Cassir fiddled with his silver Longsword. "The men are having difficulties fighting off the ancient machines my lord," he said. "The mole Dwarves under the scientists have been useful and the scientist has been making progress in controlling the machines but the majority of them are still hostile. Loyal to their former master: King Axel. General Renauld has ordered the production of the powder to cease until we can deal with the machines."

"My lord," the other soldier stepped up a little sighing. "May I ask where is Ambassador Shilard?"

"Business," Adrian replied simply looking over at the seal waving his hand that was glowing a white glown. "He is meeting with lady Medja speaker of the new Emperor. The Fire Giant: Gerra has made a profound impact in the Savannah creating a sprawling Empire in a short amount of time. He is of interest to the King and one who can be a great asset to have in our plans."

"In what way?"

The mage reached into his sack and took out two dolls. Seredic's eyes grew wide "those dolls," he whispered to Samuel and Samantha. "I've seen them back at Maraan they were with the old man!"

"This woman," Adrian said holding the big breasted doll to the soldiers. "I've done a limited probe on her, she is part of an anti-non human organization called the Luminari. They think themselves as saviors of humanity but to the public at large, they can be seen as terrorists. Shilard has a special interest in keeping her alive. She has a deep knowledge of who they are and can be used as valuable brick on the board. It'll be easier to divulge information from her without the decompression spell."

He then looked at the other doll. "This one is a Monster Hunter and a Mercenary possibly the woman's lover. I've paid him no mind until I did a recent probe and found that he has a special connection with the Black Falcons."

"He does?!" Cassir said mouth agaped.

Adrian smirked. "Ava won't be so smug when I have someone important to her boss in Cintrian custody. Now to the matter at hand. I need to reverse this spell, the damn Dwarf has made the spell too strong and too busy to do anything. Reserving the decompression spell will be tricky and this mine has been filled with machines. I ask you two best soldiers handpicked by General Renuald to cover me for this spell will be summon."

Adrian placed the dolls on the magical seal and raised his hands muttering an incantation. The magical seal began to glow brightly as the soldiers held on to the hilt of their swords.

Seredic couldn't believe what he was hearing. Whatever conspiracy that Shilard was up to he wanted no part of. However he knew he couldn't trust that old man, Halfling instincts never lie. "All right," Seredic said to the twins. "Looks like this is our chance to get past them." The Halfling got up holding on to his walking stick. "Ready?" he whispered. "Go!"

Last edited:
  • Devil
This motherfucker. Just got done talkin' and got the nerve to turn around and chastise them for talking. But the whores in Maraan were on him, so everything was gonna be alright in the end. All they had to do was find the damn wine of his and be done with this whole ruin-delving shit. If they'd known the place was gonna be littered with gems all over the signs and the walls, they would've come prepared for that, so, you know, best to let missed opportunities just tumble on behind ya and move on to better things.

Well. Meantime. Time to engage ridiculous levels of being silent. For all the shit they had only just thought about Seredic, Scythe and Nyght were in no particular mood to get turned into ashes either.

And, like before, those people Scythe and Nyght weren't supposed to be listening to were discussing a bunch of stuff they couldn't care less about. Damn it, none of them were making any convenient, offhand references to seeing a peculiar bottle of wine just lying around over here or over there or wherever the hell the Wine of Destiny happened to be in these ruins.

You see that circle?

Seredic talked to them briefly. Scythe and Nyght just looked him. Scythe's body shrugged and Nyght's body made some gestures near her mouth like a mute woman might do. Oh yeah, they could do silent alright. Now who was putting the two (three if we're counting bodies) of them in danger by not being quiet, huh.

Scythe and Nyght wallowed in their petty form of perceived victory with dual grins.

I've seen them back at Maraan they were with the old man!

Scythe's body made a lewd motion with his hand down by his waist and Nyght's body curled her bottom lip down and blossomed her hands out in an "I dunno" gesture. And they both kept their silence, alright.

The mage sap down there started doing his mage things and the Cintria boys stood around...looking important or something, Scythe and Nyght didn't know. Regardless, Seredic said it was time to go, and, with the mage and the soldiers preoccupied further the mine it seemed like a plenty good time to Scythe and Nyght as well.

And, well, since Scythe and Nyght had no damn idea where the hell they were going, they both gestured politely for Seredic to lead to way. Somebody had to watch his back, right?

They gleefully ignored the fact that they, clearly, had two bodies to work with and could have watched his back and took the lead.

• Popcorn
Samuel and Samantha were at least trying to remain quiet only shrugging response to Seredic's questions. The Halfling knew that the old man was up to no good but thing is that he did not care. Cintria could be trying to take over the world for all Seredic knows but it wasn't in a Halflings nature to be heroes. Even though there were a few legendary figures amongst the stunted folk.

"So this place an actual deathtrap underneath the splendid beauty," Seredic muttered mostly to himself as he witnessed the Adrian raise his hands still muttering incantations. The entire trio had their backs turned with the soldiers looking out in the distance in search for any intruders. "Fools," Seredic whispered. "The only intruders in this mine are the ones right behind you!"

It was best not to tempt fate though, Seredic and the twins were making progress and that's what matters. As soon as they got around and found a way to escape, The Halfling turned around covered his eyes as one of the dolls transformed into a human woman complete with her large breasts. Heart racing, Seredic stood there feet rooted onto the stone floor. His eyes narrowed at the site watching in curiosity as he watched the mage approach the woman who was lying on the ground.

"Tell me your name!" Adrian bellowed as the soldiers turned and watched the woman.

• Yay
Not here to pick fights. Those Cintria boys might not see it that way, but that was the story anyway. Those lads didn't look like wine-drinkers--straight beer boys if Scythe and Nyght had to guess--so they shouldn't mind Seredic snatching up that dwarven vintage.

Scythe and Nyght, their crossbows held at a low ready juuuust in case, followed after Seredic as he found some other shrouded tunnel off of the main shaft they and the Cintria boys were in. Hopefully, most of these boys were outside the ruins tending to those slaves or laborers or whatever, and not inside jerkin' off like these saps.

Fools, the only intruders in this mine are the ones right behind you!

Scythe and Nyght had to stifle their giggles at this. Quiet little throaty rumblings.

Then, right as they were on the precipice of gettin' the hell away from the Cintria boys and their mage with his magic tricks, Seredic's curiosity got the better of him it seemed and he stopped to look from their escape tunnel's corner. Watched the bright flash and the magic trick going on over there.

Nyght's body nudged Seredic with an elbow.

Scythe's body made a drinking motion with a free hand, miming taking a swig right out of a wine bottle.

Then both Scythe and Nyght jerked their heads in tandem in the direction of the escape tunnel, a gesture that said: Let's get going.

* * * * *​

Clarissa Mejeure became human again. Human, as opposed to the doll she had been transmogrified into.

She lay on her side on the hard ground of the mine shaft, hands splayed out and holding her upper body up.

This had been the worst time in all her life. Worse even than Omega. For this nightmare was seemingly without end. It was only a minute comfort that her assailants were human now, as opposed to the brutish and horrifying monsters in Elbion.

Claire looked up Adrian. Frightened for real and frightened for effect.

"I-I don't know what's going on. I'm nobody!"

• Cry
"We know who you work for," Adrian said his voice as cold as stone wrapping his hand around the mage staff. "The Luminari an anti-nonhuman terrorist organization bent on human dominance." The soldiers observed Adrian interrogating the woman. Their faces removed of emotion, the black armored men narrowed their eyes at Adrian and the woman.

"And you," Adrian began to approach the woman getting uncomfortably close to her and striking his staff on to the stone ground. The impact created a loud noise which echoed through out the mine. "Have valuable knowledge and secrets about this underground movement." The mage glared at her his eyes never blinking, never moving off of her.

"We can do this peacefully," Adrian said. "You tell me everything about who you are and more about your dealings with the Luminari but if you refuse or you lie to me, I might have no choice but to probe your mind. And let me inform you my lady, it will be a slow and painful process, you may feel a sharp and debilitating pain while I walk through your memories and pick the ones I need. By the time I'm done, you will either be dead or a reduced to a shell of a woman worthy of an asylum."

Adrian began to frown. "Now let's start with my first question and remember no lies, I can always tell when somebody is lying: What is your name?"

A worried look etched on Seredic's face as he saw the twins motioning him to get going. He was aware of a tunnel ahead, but the way the woman was afraid and cowering in front of Adrian filled Seredic's heart with pity. This was his chance to go and find a way out of the mine without interference. But here he is, that Halfling conscience gnawing at his heart. Thoughts of Sally pierced his brain, he could hear her voice: "You must help them," she said. "You can't leave them like this."

Oh Sally...… her compassion for others went above and beyond even Halflings. She was too good for this blasted world and now her memory is compelling Seredic to help. "I-We," Seredic stammered. "Can't leave her there."

Last edited:
  • Cthulhoo rage
I-We can't leave her there.

Scythe and Nyght, in a dusty old habit from back before their mind-merging that occasionally came out afterward, glanced at one another. It was the physical manifestation of their feeling of: Uhh, we don't know about this shit.

Did Seredic not hear them before? The whole "buncha pricks who tried to blow us up" bit? Hell, did he not just hear those Cintria boys run down the catalogue of reasons why they should let that Luminari bitch get what she had comin'? And, you know, not to point fingers around or be particular or nothin', but uh...as a halfling, Seredic really ought to think twice about this.

And that's what Scythe and Nyght were for. To make him see the fuckin' light. See, he didn't seem to get it. Seredic was the deal, the wine was the deal, not the Luminari bitch. And they'd at least put in the effort to keep Seredic from doing something a sap would do. Failing that...ditch his ass. They weren't about to risk their necks for the woman's sake, not for the chance at getting a bonus from the Philanthropist, and not for a night of whoring in Maraan either.

Scythe's body laid a hand down on Seredic's left shoulder, Nyght's body on Seredic's right. And these weren't particularly friendly hands pressing down on him either.

They broke their silence.

"Fuck that cunt," whispered Scythe.
"C'mon. They're preoccupied," whispered Nyght.

And they, once again, gestured their heads in the direction of the escape tunnel.

* * * * *​

They already knew everything. Most everything. Of course they did. This was all part of Willis's plan, that dreadful son of a bitch. If only she had been a bit faster! Just a little! She could have stabbed him in the back in those filthy sewers before that...thing found her and turned her into some doll and brought her here.

Claire knew it was over. Nothing in her repertoire had any decent chance of working. All of her expertise was in the service of preventing her from being in this situation: manipulation and misdirection and flattery and flirtation, among the rest in her toolkit. And, like when she was intentionally being drawn into that horrendous world of monsters beneath Elbion by Willis, her expertise and skillset counted for nothing here.

She was going to have her mind probed. AGAIN. More proof that Willis was behind this--Omega had done the same. There was nothing she could tell this man interrogating her that would not immediately be met with doubt and suspicion. It boggled her mind as to why he even bothered to ask questions at all, if he could simply probe her mind and get--she assumed--the complete truth and set of answers he wanted. And she knew how this went, regardless: once he got the information he sought, she would be disposed of.

There was nothing she could do.

She was surrounded by enemies.

And she was certainly going to die.

Claire's arms slid down as she couldn't hold herself up anymore. She lay on her side on the hard ground of the mine shaft and openly wept at her own lamentable fate.

• Scared
Willis slowly woke up besides Claire his eyes still closed. "What the fuck?" he muttered opening his eyes and looking around. The first person he saw was Claire who was on the floor weeping. "CLAIRE!" Willis shouted. "ARE YOU-" It was then that Willis body was frozen in place his concerned face stuck while his eyes looked around in terror.

"Silence," Adrian said to Willis calmly his hand covered in a red glow.

"That has to be the world record for the shortest time someone has broken down during an interrogation," Cassir said brandishing his Silver Longsword while giving a hollow laugh. "And you didn't even get to the good stuff yet Adrian."

"Keep watch Coporal," Adrian hissed while Cassir gave a short bow before turning his back to observe the Mine. Adrian knelt down near the girl, his expression softening to a more calm and understanding one. "I know you're afraid," he whispered to the crying woman's ear. "But understand I do not want to infiltrate your mind. Doing such an is..... immoral and wrong. I want to spare you of that indignity, please you don't have to tell me your name, just tell me about your organization."

Beads of sweat formed on Seredic's brow as he heard a voice of a man shouting and then falling silent by Adrian's spell. Samuel and Samantha's hands placed their hands on his shoulders gripping them as though they were ready to drag him out. Seredic had the good mind to go with them, but his heart compelled him to help these people.

"I know it is the pragmatic way to do things, "Seredic said to the twins. "But I can't leave them behind," Pushing Samuel and Samantha's hands off his shoulders, Seredic quickly took out a coin purse and tossed it to Samuel. The Halfling hoped that the man was safe and that the woman won't come to harm.

"I know I'm going to regret this," Seredic said. "But we need to rescue them, we need to fight the Cintrians. Please you two? If your conscience won't motivate you perhaps gold will. I can provide a distraction while you two get position to take out the soldiers."

The Halfling then looked at Adrian and the looked back. "Please help me and I guarantee that you'll be rich beyond your wildest imaginations! In fact, I'll make you so rich that you can afford your own Island!"

• Cthulhoo rage
Scythe's body caught the coin purse.

And dropped it to the ground.

See, they loved coin. They really did. But everything had its limits, didn't it? Somebody could offer them riches and their own island all they wanted, but Scythe and Nyght still wouldn't go jumpin' off a cliff if that was the price. Sure, that Luminari bitch and the Cintria boys keeping watch around her weren't a cliff to go hoppin' off of, but the principle was the same: there were some things Scythe and Nyght could see as a raw deal, and wisely turn their noses up. Shit, that's how they lived for so long doin' mercenary work. Pickin' the right contracts, and ditchin' when they had a little slip in judgment. Here in this dwarven ruin, maybe they could ambush those Cintria boys just right and come out on the breathin' side--mage or no mage. They might also win that helluva dice roll and actually live if they did jump off a cliff. But they weren't about to risk it in either case.

"Good luck," said Scythe.
"Take out the mage first," said Nyght.

And they let go of Seredic's shoulders and turned and started walking down the escape tunnel. Maybe if Seredic wised up he'd come trundling after them and get his damn wine. If not, eh. They'd find one of those light-crystal things or spark a torch and find their way out of this ruin on their own. Might have to sweet-talk (and/or sweet-bribe) a Cintria boy or two along the way, but they were gettin' outta here one way or another.

* * * * *​

Claire ignored the shouting of her name.

She wiped at her eyes and at the stream of clear mucus running from her nose and her face was a scrunched expression of wanton self-pity and sorrow.

She couldn't bring herself to look at the mage. The man who was going to torture and kill her.

"You already know..."

Everything. The word fell short of coming out of her mouth. And it didn't matter if he already knew or if he didn't; he'd probe her mind anyway, just to be sure. If had the ability to do it, there wasn't any reason not to. It was inevitable.

"Just..."

Just do it. She didn't have the fortitude to even stand up for herself and have a small moment of defiance and self-worth and say it. Trajan would have had the strength to say it. Kha would have. But not her. She was weak. She was going to die. And she clung desperately to what she knew would be her last moments before death or becoming a "shell of a woman."

And she wept.

• Cthulhoo rage
"Sunk Cost Fallacy," once again those words flashed in Seredic's mind the moment Samuel and Samantha dropped the coin pouch and began to walk away. The Halfling glared daggers at the twins as they told them good luck and suggested to take out the mage first. Seredic inwardly chuckled, it's a little wonder why sellswords have a reputation of untrustworthiness. In fact it made the twins even more endearing in Seredic's eyes.

"Wait!" Seredic began fumbling in his bag looking taking out a wooden sling that Seamus Proudfoot's son gave him on his birthday. After a few seconds of searching, the Halfling took out the sling a smile formed across his face. He was operating on instinct at this point, Seredic was dead set on rescuing the woman and her boyfriend despite part of him wanting to go with Samuel and Samantha. That Halflings are known for their empathy for others sometimes to their detriment.

Picking up a rock, Seredic placed it on his sling and aimed for Adrian's. "I never used a sling as a weapon," he said in a fast pace. "Oh wait I lied, I've used it a few times when I was a child. I've launched some nuts at Larry Fairbottom well..... big bottom while he worked the fields. But we Halflings have great aim."

Seredic released the rock from the sling and it sped through the air at a breakneck pace. Adrian was about to enter woman's mind but the rock collided with the side of his skull as flecks of blood sprayed everywhere. The mage gave out a pained cry as his head bobbing side to side like a ball tied on a pole while he fell on floor.

"Adrian!" The two soldiers drew out their swords and quickly spotted Seredic and the twins. "No witnesses!" Cassir shouted at the trio. "Kill the intruders! For Cintria!"

"Well that takes care of you mage problem!" Seredic shouted his eyes focused on the charging soldiers. "So now that I've done the deed can you pretty PLEASE take these ruffians out before they decapitate us?!"

Last edited:
  • Sip
Wait!

Scythe and Nyght kept going down the escape tunnel. Their mind was made up. Would it be nice to maybe get a bonus from the Philantropist (and guaranteed another fat sack of coins from the halfling)? Sure. Would it be nice to have a crack at the Luminari bitch? Absolutely. But she'd get her comeuppance anyway, without their interference--and they didn't need to put themselves at risk for that. Those Cintria boys would take care of the problem. So they were only really out a spot of coin, but they did have their pockets full-up with newly acquired gems, so it evened out.

They walked along. The tunnel was about as bright as you could expect from a dwarven mineshaft. They still had the light from Seredic's crystal thing faintly at their back, but once they got out of range they'd have to feel their way out--at least until they got to some better part of the ruins with more of those light crystal fixtures. Them Cintria boys had to navigate around down here somewhere, so there'd be something. Worst comes to worst, fashion a torch. Sack a coat or a vest for tinder to get it lighted.

Shouting. Behind them.

Heh, who said anything about their mage problem? For that matter, the problem apparently now bearing down on Seredic. They tried to warn him. And they weren't too keen on finishing a fight that they didn't start and never wanted in the first place.

So Scythe and Nyght just picked up the pace. Hastened their retreat down the escape tunnel. Further widened the growing gap between them and the halfling and, more importantly, the alerted men.

Seredic better hope those Cintria boys pissed on him. Or else he'd stay a lover and not a fighter.

* * * * *​

Claire gasped when the mage collapsed to the floor in front of her.

In a breathless, unbelieving tone: "What the f...?"

The other two men spotted something. Intruders.

Claire just shook her head rapidly, as if vigorously disagreeing with the world around her. As if she expected this to be some manner of trick, illusion, dream. Like the shimmering fantasy of an oasis in the desert, ever out of reach of the dying traveler.

She closed her eyes and pressed her palms to her forehead and ran her hands through her hair. She wanted to take this opportunity. Desperately wanted to get up and run. Run like she had never ran before. Run all the way out of this hell and back into the civilized world. Back to where she had power. Control.

But she couldn't. Not yet. The iciness of fear held her in place for a moment longer.

• Cthulhoo rage
Willis groaned wiping the cold sweat and dirt off of his forehead, the young man fell on his flat on his face when he was released from Adrian's spell. Willis looked around and saw the many statues of Dwarves each carrying pickaxes staring proudly to the distance. Willis had seen some statues like those before, whenever there was a weapon such as an Ax built on the statue, then that meant it was a place where great warriors trained or attained glory. If it was a pickaxe, then it usually meant that the Dwarven miners found rare gems under a Mountain.

So a mining facility the question was where? Willis blinked a few times to try to get rid of the disorientation he was experiencing this Adrian guy who placed a paralysis spell on him appeared to be dead. Turning his head, Willis saw the pool of dark blood seeping from his open wound. His head was turned to the right side away from Willis his body motionless. Beside the mage, was a stone caked in Adrian's blood. "Whoever launched that rock was a good shot," Willis muttered slowly getting up to see who threw it.

He didn't have to look far as Willis saw a small man possibly Halfling running away from two black plated soldiers. The Halfling screamed: "Wait you fools! Wait for me!" Towards two other people, they look familar. "Scythe?!" Willis shouted bewildered at the twins what the fuck were they doing here. "Nyght?!"

His voice echoed through the mine along with the Halfling. The soldiers briefly turned around staring at Willis but otherwise continued on with the chase. "We'll deal with them later!" one of the soldiers said. "We need to kill the intruders! They're trapped anyway!"

Trapped? We'll see about that, turning to Clarie Willis knelt down beside her. He knew she was shaken by the events of the fire and obviously blames Willis for it. However Willis did promise to escort to safety and admittedly he's doing a shit job right now. "Claire," Willis whispered. "We got to get out of here."

How was he going to get her to go with him? They've been together for a decent amount of time fucking each other mostly but Willis knew a bit about Claire. She was the type who liked to be catered to. "Claire," Willis said. "You're right about what happened back in Elbion. I made the wrong move and it got us into this mess. I need your help Claire, we've been through a lot together and I did promise that I will send you to where want to go. No matter what happens, you're still in control Claire."

• Orc
Scythe and Nyght heard Seredic screaming. Heard, more distantly, a vague shout that they could only just make out--their raider names being called.

But it was Seredic who concerned Scythe and Nyght more. See, they tried to keep this shit from happening. This whole "gettin' chased by the Cintria boys" situation. Everything was going smooth as fresh butter, the Cintria boys were going to be preoccupied for a good long while (longer, maybe, if they were necrophiliacs) and Scythe and Nyght and Seredic were all in the clear to snatch that wine and get the hell out and back to Maraan. Then the halfling had to go and fuck it up. Well, Scythe and Nyght weren't his keepers, so if he wanted to do somethin' dumb, that was his prerogative (big expensive Philanthropist word there). And while the halfling could die any damn way that well suited him, Scythe and Nyght weren't gonna have none of it. So. They let him know the score and left. Deal's off; mighta been back on if Seredic wised up, but he didn't.

Oh no he didn't.

What he did do was start a fight he couldn't finish and try and bring it to Scythe and Nyght's doorstep.

And they weren't about to have any of that shit. Seredic was the kind of naively altruistic asshole who was gonna get them killed, and all for a cunt who'd just as soon stab him (or, more fittingly, blow him up) in his sleep soon after being rescued. The deal was off. And it was gonna stay off now.

Scythe and Nyght ran. Ran until they noticed a light to their collective rights, down an offshoot tunnel to this one. Maybe a way into the lost dwarven city proper, maybe a cheeky way out of this whole ruin, maybe a lead right into a Cintria camp. But fuck it, they'll take it.

Scythe's body rounded the corner. Nyght's body, however, whipped around and aimed her crossbow. Not at the pursuing Cintria boys, but down at Seredic. Down, specifically, at his stubby legs.

She fired the bolt. Said after (with Scythe's body saying it in tandem), "We tried to warn you."

Law of the jungle, ladies and gentlemen. So said a wildman raider buddy of theirs, an untamed lad from the Ixchel Wilds of all godsdamned places. Don't need to outrun that bad shit giving chasing--just need to outrun the sap behind you.

And Seredic was that sap. Put out his knee, catch a meaty thigh maybe, but the strategy was the same either way: leave his ass as bait to delay the Cintria boys.

And Nyght's body vanished around the corner. Sprinted after Scythe's body down the offshoot tunnel.

* * * * *​

Claire looked up. And saw the worst sight imaginable.

Him. The perpetrator behind it all. The mastermind who wanted her dead and the Luminari destroyed.

Claire screamed a bloodcurdling scream and scurried back and away from him. He was going to lead her right to more monsters. Right to more "accidents." Right to more invasive mind readings. Right to more excuses and deadly deceptions and LIES. LIES! Like the one he told her just now! Surely he knew the game was up--surely he knew that she was on to him. Yet still he pretended as if there were a game to be played. The spider, teasing the fly.

But no! Against Willis she had a chance! She had almost stabbed him and ended him for good back in the Sewers, and perhaps she could finish the task here. He was no mage, not like the dead man--

The rock.

Claire had back up into the corpse of the mage and saw then the bloody rock that had done him in (no thought on from where it came, only the whinging mental plea of Why couldn't this be bigger??). She grabbed it and stood in a haphazard way that sent her stumbling backwards until she regained her balance. Held the rock up as if she couldn't decide whether to use it as a melee weapon or to perhaps throw it.

"Stay back! Stay back, gods damn you!"

She didn't want to fight--not if she didn't have to. She wasn't a hero--faaaaar from it--and even though she had unwittingly uncovered this labyrinthine plot in the works by the supposed Monster Hunter Willis Reede, she wished dearly that it had been someone else who had been made to suffer this. Claire would much rather simply run. Run and find a way out of this...cave, or wherever...get her bearings back on the surface and make all haste back to Elbion and back to her world. Her world.

• Cthulhoo rage
Reactions: Smiling One
"We tried to warn you."

The crossbow bolt ricocheted near Seredic's big toe, he gave out a shriek as he stumbled. Samuel and Samantha acting like insolent, black hearted, self centered mercenaries? Perish the thought! Seredic already know that the twins were black hearted rouges It was part of their charm. The Halfling at this point was more concerned about saving his own skin. The big breasted woman and her boyfriend were safe for now hopefully they can find their way out. Given how Samuel and Samantha flat out left Seredic, he wasn't surprised but come on! Mercenary companies took longer to defect.

The Halfling wondered about their dislike of the Lumanari. Apparently there was some sort of tension between the twins and the organization. Their withdrawal from Seredic was more than just that they didn't want to do any extra work this seemed personal. "Warn me about what?!" Seredic cried out briefly looking behind him the soldiers were gaining on him. No matter how fast his stubby would go, a Halfling would never out run a human in a race. "Fuck me," he muttered. "I'm dead."

Just then a scream was heard as one of the soldiers dropped down. Seredic whipped his head to see one of the black plated soldiers lay face first onto the ground, a sword stuck to thorough his armor. Seredic whimpered seeing a metal person stand over his corpse and remove the sword from it. "Ossian!" One of the soldiers cried out charging at it. Seredic saw the robot cut through the Soldier's neck like butter with liquid precision. He never saw a person move that fast, one moment it was standing above the corpse of Ossian the next moment it moved to strike at the gap of the charging soldier's neck.

Blood became to slowly pour from the man's neck as he tried to cover the wound but to no avail. He sank to his knees and fell over glossy eyed. "By the Gods," Seredic stumbled back watching the robot slowly approach him its entire body was covered in metal with white glowing eyes and a Dwarven symbol on its chest. It carried a large metal sword that was dripping with blood. "Oh dear," he heard more clanking from afar as three robots jumped from the darkness of the ceiling to face Samuel and Samantha.

proxy.php

The middle robot then quickly charged at Samuel with its fists attempting to knock him out. Seredic felt a cold metal touch his neck. He shivered as blood from the blade slowly trickled down through his shirt.

"Surrendrumm!" it bellowed in a deep metallic voice.

The Halfling's ears were ringing, his heart felt like it was about to give out and he would lay down and die. For a moment, Seredic thought it would be a wonderful idea to do so but alas reality can be cruel can it. He knew some of the Dwarven language from his time visiting Dwarven colonies. It clearly meant surrender, perhaps he can negotiate?

"Tha surrendrumm!" Seredic said laying down his knife. "Helzvog sigt saghs orn," (Have my friends be alive.)

Broken Dwarf but hopefully it'll understand, the next Seredic knew was that he was lifted by the robot and was taken away. "Wait!" He shouted. "Are you taking my friends?!"

"Wait a minute!" Willis said as Claire picked up the rock ready to throw it at him. "Claire calm down! What is going on?! Why are you doing this?!"

She was clearly losing her mind, there was no doubt that Claire blamed Willis for placing her in danger. "Listen Claire," Willis said trying remain calm. "I know you're afraid and you want to kill me for all the shit that happened in the sewers. I'm sorry for that Claire! I really am! I should've went to the surface! We don't know where we are right now and the last thing we need is to panic."

The young man raised his hands showing that he wasn't willing to harm Claire. "The reality is," Willis said. "That I made a mistake a big one, whoever this man has something to do with us being frozen. But I'm not going to stick around and find out. We need to get out of here together."

• Yay
Fuck.

Goddamn it, what the hell were these things? They looked like men, but were thin and armored head-to-toe in some kind of plate armor Scythe and Nyght had never seen before. It was like the plate armor was their body. They knew ruin jobs were never worth it, they fucking knew it, but did they listen to their gut? Nooooo. The sweet promise of the Maraan whores (that they were now never going to get, unless they wanted to spend their own coin) had tempted them past their better judgment.

At least the metal men threw punches that Scythe's body, specifically, could see coming a mile away, even in the low light. And the tin-tankard saps didn't even come charging all at once. Ha!

Scythe swooped under the punch with the ease of one who had dodged a right hook or two in a few bar fights. His body and Nyght's didn't break their running stride, continuing down the offshoot tunnel and toward that light at the end.

The other two metal men in the way. Problem. Ample space in the tunnel to sweep around them. Good. And here's the bridge between these two things: their coats.

Scythe and Nyght each held their crossbows in one hand while yanking free their coats from about their waists with the other. Tossed the bundles of cloth at each of the other two metal men--give 'em a little disorienting distraction. Sure, they were sacrificing their damn coats again, but they could buy new ones. Quick rolls past the two metal men who hadn't charged; and, in so doing, some of those pilfered gemstones spilled out of their pockets. That was going to put a damper on the whole "buying a new pair of coats" thing, but they'd much rather live so they could have a chance at buying 'em in the first place.

Scythe and Nyght hauled ass. They didn't know how fast those metal men were, but if they were anything like plate-wearing soldiers (fuckin' Ser Waldenworth came to mind) then they'd be slow and tucker out quickly enough. Seredic was gonna be in for a real nasty surprise though, if he managed to turn that corner in the tunnel and find himself trapped between those Cintria boys and the metal men. Well...they did warn him.

Into the room with the light. Just a basic square room with stone walls, maybe ten meters by ten meters, with a pillar in the center and one of those glowing crystals by the pillar. Some stairs--thankfully--but the first dozen or so were destroyed. Scythe and Nyght would have to fuckin' jump and pull themselves up if they wanted out.

They started running across the square room, toward the broken stairs. They didn't know how much time they'd have.

* * * * *​

Claire heard the scream from the tunnel. The scream that was nothing short of confirmation of the nightmare, coming into being once again. Willis! He was telling her all the things he thought she wanted to hear, those silken lies, those very same lies Claire herself so often told the men she had snared in her own webs of deception. Of course. She knew how the game was played. She knew those alluring lies when she heard them.

But no! No! Not this time! She'd fallen for this before, back when she didn't know the truth about Willis and his intricate, sinister plot against the Luminari and against her. Oh ho, no, she wasn't going to follow him anywhere. Anywhere! He led her only to monsters, monsters, and more monsters, seeking some tragic "accident" to befall her. She would never be safe around him. Forever in the lion's cage, awaiting the fateful lion, rather than on the opposite side of the bars, controlling when and how the lion was allowed to imperil her.

A surge of delicious adrenaline kicked in--oh so delectable and pristine--and she knew what she had to do.

We need to get out of here together.

She didn't say anything. Just threw the rock with all of her poor aim at Willis's head, fully intent on bashing in his skull with it if she could be so lucky.

But Claire didn't wait to see the results of her deed. She ran. Coincidentally, back down the length of the mine shaft that Scythe and Nyght and Seredic had come from, where the former had pilfered gemstones from the walls and further back was the bridge the three (or two) of them had crossed.

• Popcorn
"Damn it Claire!" Willis managed to duck the rock that Claire threw at him and ran after her drawing his sword in case any those creatures come and try to attack. "Claire!" Wills shouted sprinting closer to Claire the young man was faster though Willis credited this to Claire wearing heels and caught up to Claire using his free hand to grab her around the waist.

"I'm trying to help you!" Willis shouted attempting to pull her back. "It's too fucking dangerous in here full of monsters and machinery that we do not know! I'm trying to help you because I love you!"

Love? Did Willis love Claire or did he lust after her? Of all of the women Willis had slept with, he truly loved a few women. It all ended in disaster as always but Willis just can't help himself to fall in love on occasions. There was always hole inside Willis that yearned for friends and love something that he tried desperately to fill up. But he struggled to fill it, he had few friends and fucking was only instant gratification.

Maybe with Claire just maybe.... "Let's go Claire!" Willis said.

• Devil
Reactions: VigiloConfido
((Clarissa Mejeure))

Claire struggled like a cat that vehemently did not want to be picked up in Willis's grasp. Wild kicks and elbows sent back.

"Let go! Let go...you bastard!"

Not this time! She wouldn't let him drag her along into his schemes this time. This time she would win! This time she would escape! She was the heroine of her own story! She was!

Claire turned just enough to cock back her right fist and send it sailing toward Willis's face.

Smiling One

• Cry
Reactions: Smiling One
"Claire please! It's not safe to go alone!" Willis attempted to hold on to Claire but she managed to slip away from his grasp yet again. The woman then pulled her fist back targeting Willis' face. "Claire!" Willis instinctively held his sword up to defend himself only to hear a sound of flesh going against steel. The young man's blood ran cold as he slowly looked down. His hand was gripped around the hilt of the sword which soaked with blood oozing out of Claire's abdomen.

"No," Willis whispered his voice soft and gentle almost like the boy at the docks. Claire's face became pale, Willis could see the fear in her eyes her body quivering before she became glassy eyed. "Claire....." the words barely went past his throat coming out like a croak. "No Claire....." Willis' own eyes became heavy as his vision became obscured with tears something that he never felt since he could remember.

Claire fell to her knees, Willis fell with her immediately finding the hilt of the sword and wretched it free. As he pulled the blade out from Claire's stomach he saw more blood coming out pouring like a waterfall in the middle of the forest. Willis' mind was racing, panicking, he immediately set Claire down and placed both of his hands on Claire's wound to stop the bleeding but to no avail. He looked into Claire's eyes again, it was still perpetually stuck in fear but this time mixed with pain.

"I'm sorry," the tears tried to spill from Willis' eyes but they refused to drop. It was hard for Willis to cry now and days he just doesn't have that many tears to shed. The light from Claire's eyes began to flicker out of existence as he Willis' leaned over and kissed her on the forehead. His heart felt like it was a boulder ready to drop as Willis had to struggle with the realization that it was him.

Only him. He killed her when he was trying to save her.

It was only then Willis realized that in trying to save a person he was close to he ended up destroying them. Just like he was with Molly and all the other lovers he had in his life. Just like the friends he made throughout his life. He wanted to cry and rage against the situation that he put himself in, but in the end it was all for naught. Because in this cold abandoned Dwarven mine he was alone all by himself it was that Willis realized that eventually himself was all that he'll ever have.

Willis kissed Claire on the forehead again, closing her eyes while taking her limp wrists placing them on her bloodied stomach. Claire found peace it seems but Willis was stuck in his own hell, his clothes bloodied and his expression stonefaced the young man found himself surrounded by the Dwarven machinery they were armed with swords and ranged weaponry of sorts. The young man closed eyes preparing to fight to the death but somehow they moved out of his way surrounding the corpse of Claire.

Part of Willis wanted to defend her but a look from one of the machines suggested that he otherwise leave. Willis curled his bottom lip as he slowly walked up the stairway wondering what they could possibly want with Claire and feeling immensely guilty that he was the one who killed her.

• Yay
Reactions: VigiloConfido