Private Tales Those Fallen

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
She nodded again, taking a deep breath to steal herself. "Okay. Lunch. Just-... come get me so theres no-" She made a vague gesture of confusion, then rubbed at the back of her neck reflexively.

• Yay
Reactions: Saul Talith
"Okay." He said with a nod, lightly scratching his arm unconsciously.

He wasn't exactly sure why he did that, it seemed silly.

"I'll just take care of some things first." He told her. "I'm sure Edwin is wondering where I am."

Saul would make time though. Already in his head he was planning things out. Cutting five minutes there, adding fifteen minutes there. He would make time.

Slowly he stepped towards the door, grabbing the handle and heading out.

• Yay
Reactions: Anastasia
If Ana had thought she'd get the morning to herself, she had promptly been proven wrong. Valerie had made a pesky habit of visiting her, twice a day, almost like clock work. In some ways it was amusing, watching Valerie flit around the castle trying to play chess master to all the problems running about. In other ways, it was ... sad. Because watching Valerie enter with a breakfast made Ana really glance down at herself for the first time and see the state she was in.

And for the first time that week, Valerie wasn't in and out with little response from her. She was asked to stay.

And by the time Saul broke free to fetch her at her door, she was bathed and changed into her normal casual wear, her damp hair braided back in a typical Valerie signature hairdo.

She opened the door to the knock, biting her lip at the sight of him.

"You came."

• Yay
"I did." It was later than he'd thought.

Saul had tried his best to make sure the mornings work was as quick as possible, but apparently being Lord Captain was not as easy as he'd thought it would be. Most of the time he was signing letters, writing them, or making sure one missive or another was correct.

The worst of it was hiring engineers. They were sticklers for contracts, and it seemed that every time he turned around there was something new he had to address in order to make sure everything went will in one way or another.

It was enough to give him a heart attack.

"We're not eating here though." He said with a smile. "As much as I'd like to...I have a better idea."

• Yay
She raised a brow at him, mildly apprehensive but largely more curious. "Oh...?" She offered, stepping out and moving to lock her room behind her. "Should I be grabbing my leather for this?" It was a joke.

Mostly.

• Yay
"What?" Oh. It was a joke. "No, no no no."

He smiled.

"Just going to take you to where we used to have to sneak." He was of course talking about the Balcony that sat just outside of the Lord Captain's office. It was a small space, hardly big enough for a single table and two chairs, but it had am overlook of Alliria itself.

They used to sneak up there as children. Sometimes he and Ana, sometimes all of them. He was certain the Lord Captain had caught them more than once, though the man had never mentioned it.

Bless him.

• Yay
Her face lit up at the blossoming memories.

"Don't really have to sneak there anymore, huh Lord Commander," she teased, putting her key in her pocket and slipping out with him.

• Yay
"Captain." He corrected.

She always seemed to mix those up. Commanders was the rank that Saul had shared with Arrawaith and the third, Lord Captain was in charge of the Broken Sword.

Which reminded him...he would need new Commanders, three of them. The thought suddenly made him pale, mostly because he had entirely forgotten about it until now. His lips thinned, and quickly he pushed the thoughts away, deciding that it was better thought about later.

"But no." He told her with a smile as they started down the hallway. "No need to sneak anymore."

From his pocket he pulled a small piece of iron. "I have the key now."

• Yay
Her smile faltered as she looked down at the familiar iron, abruptly recalling who it had come from. Her chest ached in mourning. She swallowed hard and pushed it off, her palms sweaty against her legs.

"I'm surprised you found the time to do this," she forced, trying to keep herself moving forward. "I can only imagine how much you have to do now." She glanced up at him, the statement more of a question, the first time she had pried into his affairs here yet.

• Yay
Saul walked quietly, tucking the key into his pocket as he took a moment in thought.

"It's..." For a second Saul found his words lost, idle thought taking over until he managed to continue on. "Difficult."

A sigh escaped him. "He always made it look so easy...but there's negotiation, piles of documents, requisitions..."

His head shook.

"Do you know how much we spend on food? It's insane!" His voice didn't really raise, but it was clear that he was somewhat bewildered.

"Still." Saul continued quietly. "I found the time, and it wasn't hard."

This was something he wanted after all.

• Yay
She watched him for a moment longer, wondering if he was actually going to be happy doing this job. It was all office and no field. All frustrations from others and very little gratification. It sucked being at the top, she had always known it.

Where would he be in a year? She couldn't picture it.

"Maybe we could start a garden," she offered softly. "Tell the kids it'll teach them patience or something bogies like that."

• Yay
"That's an idea." He mused.

It wasn't a bad one either. They could do with being more self sufficient, especially given the climate of Alliria and the world. The Compound itself wasn't massive...but they did own land to the west. To the East all belonged to Allirian Merchants and Lords but...He mused for a second.

"Perhaps some of the lands to the east." He told her as they turned a corner. "A field or two."

They had the land, why not use it? "I bet we could do something there."

• Yay
She nodded, pleased her idea had merit. "If nothing, could churn a profitable crop and make a small profit, open the budget up somewhere else." In fact she could think of countless ways that increased budget could benefit them, all of which brought a little spark of excitement inside of her.

She blinked, stopping before the large oak doors of the Lord Captains office. "...Home now," she mused.

• Yay
"Likely best to keep the food." He mused. "We're not farmers, but if we can become self sufficient it would go a long way helping things."

Saul said quietly as they rounded a corner.

He didn't want to start selling crops, but if they could at least reduce some of the food budget...well it would free up all the more funds for recruitment and expanding the compound. Not to mention the Fortress he wanted to reoccupy. There was so much still to do.

When they reached the door and she spoke again he nodded slightly.

"I suppose it is." He said quietly. "Though I haven't touched parts of it."

The Bedroom, the balcony.

Without another word he slipped the key into the lock, opening the door for her.

• Yay
She stepped in, growing still and predictably stiff. It had no doubt taken them all a few visits into this room for it to stop making their stomach drop and their chest clench. The Lord Captain had been like a father to them all. More gentle with them than any trainer could afford to be, they had each found unconditional love inside the heart of the man that use to live here. They were not a tool, or a means to an end. But people whose best interests he was genuinely invested in.

A good man, through and through.

She had to look away from the desk before any grief could take hold.

"You need a decorator," she mused, crinkling her nose.

• Yay
A chuckle escaped him, glancing around the room and slowly nodding his head. She was probably right, none of this was really his style...but he didn't really know what his style was anyway.

Saul had lived most of his life fairly spartan.

"You're probably right." He said with a smile. "Though I don't think even they would know where to begin."

For now the room was just as the old man had left it, though in truth...that felt wrong. "There's a bunch of stuff in some of the vaults here...nothing rare but furniture and the like...I don't really know what to choose."

He shook his head.

"I suppose eventually I'll have to." Couldn't survive in a dead mans abode.

• Yay
"Let me do it," she said before she could stop herself. She let out a shaky breath, then repeated what he had already thought. "...You can't-... you can't actually live like this. With it... just as he left it. Let me make it something you can come back to." She couldn't fathom how it felt to be in his shoes and always come back here.

No wonder he hadn't gone back to his quarters yet. Everywhere had to feel ... off to him.

• Yay
Saul frowned for a brief moment, his lips thinning for a sec. "Well...I uhh."

He wasn't against it, but the offer was...surprising.

"I'm not against the idea." He knew that he couldn't live like this, not forever. Pretending to be a dead man...it wasn't the way that any of this should go. Saul knew that he was supposed to be his own person, supposed to make his own decisions.

Perhaps that was part of the weight he felt. He was trying to be the Old Man...but he couldn't be. Not if he was being realistic. "You'll have to poke around the basement a bit."

He joked quietly.

• Yay
"I'll make sure to watch out for any vampire rats," she responded dryly.

Though. There had been a slight infestation problem for a few weeks. No seriously. It had come dangerously close to an actual life threatening problem.

"Alls well. Valerie stole back my whisky anyway," she grumbled, moving to the balcony. How she was going to sleep now, she had no clue. "Moving furniture seemed as good a way to tire oneself out?"

• Yay
"Well." He chuckled. "I doubt you'll have to do that on your own."

It seemed odd in a way. He had been in charge of at least a portion of the Broken Sword for so long, but now...not he was in charge of all of it.

By extension, Ana, Valerie, Leane...all of them had more control than they had before. They werne't commanders, not officially, but everyone within the Chapter knew who they were and what sway they possessed. That gave them a certain level of authority above everyone else.

Whether they realized it yet or not.

"I trust you." He said as he looked around the large office. "Just...no gold."

Saul said with a smile.

She blinked, glancing over at him. A tight smile was given back, then a nod of understanding. "Consider it done." She glanced back once more at the office before shaking her head, driving away unwelcome thoughts.

"Are you.... hungry then?" She had doubted he had eaten breakfast and by this rate it was soon to be dinner. She gestured towards the balcony, moving towards it.

• Yay
"Oh." Saul said, almost as if he had only suddenly remembered that it was the reason why they were here in the first place.

Food was important. She was.

"Right." He motioned towards two heavy glass doors, each one containing a colored mosaic of two Ornate Templar Warriors. "Right through there."

The doors had been crafted nearly six centuries before, when the Broken Sword had first come to Alliria after the third great Schism. They depicted the Chapters founders, two men who had been as brothers. "Here."

Saul said, offering her the key.

She gave him a slightly skeptical look, taking the key and trying to peer through the stain glass at whatever laid beneath.

"...What have you done?" She asked, unlocking it and almost hesitantly cracking open a door to take in the warming very Alliria spanning out before them.

• Yay
"Nothing you don't deserve." Saul said quietly.

When Ana opened the door she would find a small table set up on the balcony. Upon it were two plates, each one decorated with a small portion of food with a larger platter in the center of the table. Off to the side was a vase with a bouquet of flowers, nothing fancy, but nice.

Saul had tasked Greggor and Valerie with this, asking them for a favor that both were more than willing to indulge him in.

The two of them had always enjoyed playing matchmaker, and this was something that they had both approved of from the very beginning.

Ana sputtered, straightening and looking at him almost incredulously. "What happened to lunch?" She accused. Though it didn't pan out into any further negative reaction, the woman stepping forward and gingerly touching the flowers.

"Valerie," she cursed, amusement to her tone as she shook her head. The finger dragged down the vase, then touched at the plate before looking up to him with a slight puzzled look to her. "You're not going to let this go, are you? What you said to me."

• Yay