Private Tales Those Fallen

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
S

Saul Talith

Saul had been smiling for what seemed like weeks on end now.

Things at Herath had gone well, better than he had expected in fact. More Chapters had shown that he had thought they would, and more importantly they had...tentatively agreed to work together. There had bit some small hiccups, but it seemed that they at least all knew that they could not go on in the way they had been.

It was an excellent sign, and Saul was hopeful that in time they would be able to seal themselves in an actual alliance.

For now they had each given their word of mutual aid and assistance, some beyond that, some a little less, but it was still about as successful as he could have asked. He was more than pleased, and he knew that the Old Man would be just as happy about it.

The others seemed to sense his mood, and their spirits were equally lifted.

Their trip back had been an easy one, no bandits, no troubles, nothing at all coming at them. Things somehow even went faster than they should have, and the journey back home to Alliria had all but sailed by. A smile beamed on his face as they crested a tall ridge, the city coming into view.

"Well, nothings burning." He joked, some of the others chuckling.

"I'llhead to the meeting point with Valerie first, the rest of you stay here. Take it easy for a bit." The Commander told the others. "Ana?"

He asked, knowing she would want to come along.

• Yay
Reactions: Anastasia
Ana perked, shooting him a grateful smile. While the others were at ease, she was being eaten by a blanket of worry that only grew heavier each day they journeyed closer to home.

While the summit had gone incredible, far better than she could ever had even dreamed to fathom, she walked away from it with an impending sense of doom. With all the chapters words of agreement came the next step to Sauls plan. And it was sure to be a heavy one. Unless they could gain a majority of their own chapter's support before the commander's passing, they would have to spill blood to assure Saul's raise to power.

Templar's blood.

All to assure they didn't die out.

It was a bit ironic, if you think on it.

She was trying not to think on it.

She had been quiet the journey home, uncharacteristically so. Ana, the worrier. It was no shock to any of them. She kicked her horse into action, spurring him on to Saul's side. She nodded in departure to the others, trying to ignore the sudden gleam that entered Edwin's eyes.

"Let's go," she urged breathlessly, breaking off into a fast trot. Please be okay Valerie...

• Yay
Reactions: Saul Talith
Saul smiled at her, waving her on as they fell into a slow trot on the road.

The meet up point they had decided upon was a simple hill overlooking the city. It was a place that they had come to in their childhood, where they looked down on Alliria and watched it's splendors. It was also the first place Saul had ever gotten into an actual fight.

It had been with one of the others of course, though for the life of him he couldn't even remember what it had been about or who with.

Odd how that happened.

As they passed out of view from the others Saul pulled his horse just a little bit closer to Ana. His hand gently reached out to her, metal gauntlet softly brushing her face. "It will be okay."

He told her softly as they neared the hill.

• Yay
Ana tried not to grimace, giving him a weak smile and resisting the urge to nuzzle into his hand. It did not feel like it would be fine, but she acknowledged that her mindset was not always the best here.

"I trust you," she murmured softly. "...More than I did going into this," she admitted, regretful. "I am sorry for that ... I'm starting to... starting to see..." She acknowledged their differences in opinion for the first time, if only to reassure him that she was trying to be more than a solider here for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Yay
"I don't expect you to always agree with me." Saul said quietly.

He didn't want that. He didn't need that in fact. A leader was not a leader if he could not handle opposition. He would welcome it from where he could get it. Even the other Templar...the Commanders, he would take their opinions, though he knew that they would not take his.

That was where the pain would come from.

As they reached the crest of the hill Saul straightened himself in the saddle, glancing at her with a smile. In the distance across the plains outside the city he spotted a single rider crossing the plains.

"We'll reach the end." Saul told her. "I promise."

• Yay
His words were lost to her, Valerie's form fogged in the distance. Her face lit up in relief. She kicked her horse into a gallop and left him in the dust, eager to come across her sister-by-sword. If they had been on their feet, Ana would have burst forward to hug her. But they were saddled and Ana was trying to regain some composure.

Her relief and apprehension was clear across her face, a shaky nod given in greeting. "You made it." Thank gods.

• Yay
Valerie looked, in truth, better than Saul had expected. There was a smile on her face, there always was, but both he and Ana knew enough about the woman to see she was hiding something.

"I did."

Her voice was a chirp, almost like a song bird singing in the bright of the sun. It was how she always sounded, but again Saul could hear a line of tension beneath it. His lips thinned for just a few seconds, hands tightening on the reins as he prepared himself for the worst. "Pull the gauze, Valerie."

An eyebrow was perked.

"I'd rather know the bad news." He said with a sigh.

For a moment Valerie looked between the two other Templar, then sighed. Her smile slipped.

"It's not all bad but...the Old Man passed."

• Yay
Anastasia gasped, her horse bucking and reeling back a few steps at her distress. Her expression crumbled into outward grief, silent tears starting to stream down her face.

"When?" She croaked.

Valerie pressed her lips together, admitting with some hesitation, "Just two weeks passed."

Another wave of pain flickered across her expression at how close they were to saying a goodbye, the woman having to look away or risk further decomposer.

"And the good news?" She asked, her voice tight.

• Yay
Reactions: Lia
His fingers tightened, and he had to keep himself from moving in the saddle.

The Old Man had been good to him, better than most. He'd loved him in his own way. He'd been a complicated man, but a good one nonetheless. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Ana sway in her saddle slightly, heard the tightness of her voice. He wanted to hold, but he kept himself in check.

Valerie's gaze seemed to flicker between the two for just a moment, a searching look as if she knew something she should not have.

"Good news."

She began quietly.

"I've been speaking with a lot of the Templar, the Knights who'd never showed any particular...allegiance to any of the Commanders."

Saul tensed again, for some reason he felt as though Valerie's words wouldn't be delivering good news at all. With the Old Man gone he was already expecting the worst.

"I think they'll join you Saul. I think...I think they see you as the heir apparent and support your cause...most of them at least. But..."
His chest relaxed for half a second, and then she continued.

"Ser Arrawaith has made a bid for the leadership, he's taken command of the Compound and has issued an order for your...not detainment, but...something close to it. Ser Vannerath left the city...as did the men that followed him. I think he smells whats about to happen and doesn't mean to help either of you."

"Coward." Saul growled under his breath, lips thinning.

• Yay
Ana's grief was forgotten as the news washed over her. "A schism already," she gasped, her world dropping out from under her.
For a moment it felt as if all had been lost, that this was it for her. The man that served as her father figure was dead and her home was crumbling into pieces, her leader about to be detained. But as she looked to Saul she found a small bit of strength. He had never failed before.

On the way home she had resolved to not let herself waiver or forget that. So she sat a little straighter, staying strong throughout the moment. "And what of our men? Are they sitting ducks inside his control? What is his attitude towards them?"

• Yay
Saul was clutching the hilt of his sword in preparation for Valerie's answer, almost as if the weapon gave him an odd sort of comfort. The blade had been given to him by the Old Man, something that both Ana and Valerie knew.

"Most of them are dispersed throughout Alliria."
The Commander felt his chest relax a little, though he could tell that Valerie wasn't done speaking yet. There was tension on her face, a story being told that only those closest to her would be able to read. It was something that came from growing up, being able to see the truth of things.

Right now he wasn't sure if it was such a good thing.

"A few were inside the Compound when the news broke. I...I'm not sure what happened to them. I haven't been back."
Saul took in a deep breath. "It's alright Valerie. You did what you could."

He hadn't wanted her to place herself in danger, not for the source of information. The news was...well not entirely welcome. It sounded like the majority of those loyal to him had made it out, but some had likely been...captured, or at least confined.

"Go back into the city, tell everyone to meet by the lower docks, a ship called the Marygold." He hadn't had the time to rename it before they'd left. "Should be room for everyone aboard."

• Yay
Ana swallowed hard, bringing herself down from the news enough to regain an edgy composure.

"We have to get them out," she stated, talking to neither but uncaring for it. "If he's schismed there's no saying what he'll do to them. If their allegiance is not to him, they'll be tried as traitors to the chapter!" A trail they had not seen in some time, there was no true protical for it. Everyone that remained chose to of their free will. But now with a schism involved... Everything was a wild card.

• Yay
Saul glanced at Ana, reaching out and gently grasping her leg. "It'll be alright."

Valerie perked an eyebrow, though didn't say anything as she watched quietly.

"We'll get them out, all of them." The Commander said, squeezing gently before he quickly looked up and towards the city. Lips thinned for just a few seconds. "Gather as many on the ship as you can, Valerie. We'll meet you there."

They needed to get the others too before they went.

"We'll need to be careful." Very careful. Ana was right, this was dangerous. One wrong move and their friends would die.

• Yay
Ana didn't feel so reassured, caught up in a passionate wave of emotions. She turned from them both with a flick of her reigns, her face set in this passionate fiery. She was was angry, truly angry, and it was a rare sight to see on her face. She left them both in the dust, riding hard to retrieve the others.

Valerie watched her go, silent as she turned her attention to Saul with a knowing look.

"Careful," she warned softly, saying nothing more.

• Yay
Her lips thinned for just a few seconds, and then slowly he nodded his head.

Saul had watched Ana go for just a brief second, and for some odd reason he dreaded catching up with her. He'd never liked seeing her angry, or upset in any way, even before all of their...things had happened. The Templar frowned for just a brief second more, and then pulled his horse to the side.

The steed pulled to the left and then quickly followed after Ana.

He knew that over the next few days things would get complicated, more complicated than he'd ever thought. Saul had known that a split was likely, but this...this was more odd than he could have expected. A third of the Templars had fled the city, another had turned against him, and the last wanted to stand at his side.

It was not the worst scenario, but it was still bad.

Why did Arrawaith still hold the compound? Why didn't he find another place if he knew Saul was coming back?

He didn't understand, and it felt as though he was missing some piece of information. Riding hard, he managed to join camp just a few seconds after Ana arrived, the others watching carefully.

• Yay
Anastasia swallowed hard, saving Saul the burden of barring the heavy news. She looked across their faces, then said tightly, "He's passed."

A small reaction rang out through them, some stronger than others. Edwin stepped forward. "What of the other commanders?"

She grimaced, looking tightly to Saul. "They-... There's already been schism. Three ways. With some of ours detained."

• Yay
Saul nodded, slipping out of the saddle and walking up to the others. "Vannerath left the city with his hundred, we're not sure where he went."

The Templar said honestly. Valerie hadn't mentioned it, meaning that she didn't know. It wasn't the worst knew of course, but still not great. He had hoped that the other Commander would come around to his side and simply force Arrawaith to come to him, but it would not be so.

"Arrawaith is the one that's taken the Compound, and If I had to guess I would say he means to keep it." His fingers tightened on the hilt of his blade. "I'll try to treat with him first, get the others out safely but..."

The Commander paused a second. "Orinn, once we're in the city I want you to get a group together. Small, stealthy."

The other Templar nodded.

"For now no armor." He motioned to them. "Stow it in your saddlebags and hide it as we enter the city."

• Yay
Anastasia slipped down, wordlessly stripping herself of her uncomfortable, flashy armor. Over her simple tan shirt she pulled a lighter leather vest-- her usual line of defense when she chose to actually engage in battle and not strut around trying to intimidate common folk into bending to their investigations.

She figured it was harmless enough. There was no hiding their various swords and gear kept on them, but likewise, that wasn't an eye catching sight in Alliria.

"You shouldn't treat with him at the compound," she said almost briskly. The others looked at her, taking in her mood and smartly saying nothing to it.

• Yay
Saul was half-way through stripping off his plate when Ana spoke to him, stopping himself as he ducked slightly and placed his pauldron on the ground. "I know."

The man would take him, stuff him in a bag, and then make sure he wouldn't see the light of day for another three or four years. He was insidious, a villain in truth. The Commander knew that, knew that Arrawaith wanted little more than to gain his own little slice of power.

He did not believe in their mission. He did not believe in vanquishing evil.

He believed only in himself.

"I was thinking the Plaza." Saul said with a stern face, mentioning Alliria's grand market place. "With you in the crowd and Orinn on a roof top nearby."

That was about as safe as it could be.

• Yay
She considered this tersely for a moment. "And Edwin by your side. It would be almost expected of you anyway and he could defend you from him far faster than I could tucked away," she tried to reason a compromise, her words catching as she glanced up to sport Leone trying to discreetly wipe away a tear of her own grief.

She resisted the urge to go support her, knowing it would not be appreciated in this moment by someone who tried harder than the others to be the perfect templar. And templars don't cry.

Until they did...

Saul hesitated for a moment, then slowly nodded in agreement. Taking them with him would make him safer, Arrawaith could hardly bring all his own to some place like the Plaza. The city guard wouldnt like it, not to mention all the attention it would draw from civilians.

"I'll send a lad from.the streets with my seal." They all lnew that if any of them went near the compound they wouldnt be coming back.

Best to use other means.

Saul knew that this was only going to get worse before it got better. Knew thay darkness would shroud them. He saw the pain of the faces of his men, and he couldn't help but second guess every decision that he'd made so far.

Was it right?

Was he doing what he had to? Or did he just want power? Saul didn't think he did, Saul was sure he was doingthis for the right reasons, but the thought that he might not be terrified him.

• Yay
Anastasia nodded, face pinched as she turned from them all and remounted.

She rode off wordlessly, dealing with her own grief in the way she often did. Alone.

The plaza was pressed full with bodies, a fact Ana wasn't sure she was grateful for or worried about. In a throng of people so thick, it would be harder for the commander to get away with any attempts of forceful possession of Saul. But it also meant it would take longer to reach him in any trouble, and a dagger to the ribs ...

All it would take was a skillful hand and bump from the crowd.

She had made him wear leather under the metal just for that, the woman too proficient in her own killing methods to trust others wouldn't try it on him too.

She stood tense ten feet away, blending in with the side of a food cart as she caught sight of the man entering for the first time. Her eyes flickered to Saul, intense.

• Yay
Saul stood calmly in the center of the Plaze.

He wore his armor this time, helmet tucked beneath his left arm, cloak billowing slightly in the wind. His sword lay on his hip where it belonged, the small dagger he carried for extra protection strapped to the small of his back. Besides him stood Edwin, dressed just as fiercely.

"Don't provoke him."
The man commended quietly as Saul caught sight of Commander Arrawaith cutting through the crowd astride a massive war horse the likes of which he'd never seen before. A gift from a Merchant perhaps, or something the other man had stolen from someone.

A frown touched the Commander's lips, free hand falling to the hilt of his sword. He glanced around for a moment as the other Commander approach. "Hello Arrawaith."

Saul said, his voice filled with no small amount of disgust as he looked upon the man.

The other Commander sneered, his disdain outright. Arrawaith had never liked him, even when Saul had been a child simply trying to do his best. Now that they were directly in conflict? Saul could practically feel the hatred flying from his expression. It was no wonder that all throughout the crowd the other man had brought his lackeys.

Unknown to Saul of course.

• Yay
Anastasia scanned the crowd, alert for the very presence of the lackeys she had had predicted would be spread about as well. She was braced for a surprise attack. The sudden surging forward of bodies and the flickering of a knife sliding up under armor. Saul was as well armored as could be, but that didn't stop her from fearing they'd remove his helm and stick in in the eye. Or bring a dagger through the back of his knee- or-

She clutched at her push dagger, her knuckles what.

And that's when she saw the first one.

Eyes tense, she caught Owin's attention across the crowd and pointed him out with an intentional glance.

• Yay
"Why have you not returned?"​

The words were biting, confrontational, little less than Saul had expected from the other man. The Commander's lips thinned for just a few seconds, hand tightening on the hilt of his sword. "You know why, Arrawaith."

A sneer passed on the other man's features.

The emotion was only there for a second, but Saul saw it. An almost pleasant visage came to Arrawaith's face afterward, a lie as sure as one could tell it. Beyond the small circle that had formed around them other Templar moved about, men and women loyal to the man standing before Saul.

They moved quietly, though Ana would begin to see them everywhere. Just the one she'd pointed out at first, then another, then another.

"The Lord Captain has died. In his will he named me as his successor. By right of our laws I demand you return to the Compound and sweat the oaths."​

Saul tensed slightly, knowing that the words were a lie.

His face contorted into a mass of anger and emotion, lips thinning he pulled in a deep breath and glanced at the mounted man. His eyes could have bored holes in rock.

"We both know you're a liar." Arrawaith seemed taken aback for half a second, his hand twitched on his reigns, his head jerked to the side. "I won't follow you, and neither will my men."

Anger shone across the other man's face, and one hand raised from his reins and gently scratched across his breastplate.

"I do-" Saul began to speak as someone behind him broke from the crowd and drew a blade, the man breaking into a sprint and heading directly for him.

• Yay