Fae Courts The Twins' Tournament

Threads open to all members of the Fae Courts group
Perhaps it was getting away from Grovehaven for the first time in some months, perhaps it was the festive environment that contrasted so harshly with the bleakness that had surrounded him ever since the conclusion of his inauguration. Either way, Nairth's mood was quite jovial. It was times like these that made him wish that he hadn't taken that throne. But if not him, who else was there? In truth, he'd been one of the only candidates, and he'd long accepted that fact.

"Well, this is a grand tournament, is it not?" He smiled down at the woman as she held him, stepping off of the impromptu lift carefully and leading her to a row of seats. As she pulled away he allowed his hand to trail gently across the small of her back. "You'll remember there was a time when I often took the chance to show off at such events. Maybe your presence here is merely making me nostalgic." Nairth didn't much think Nostalgia was a feeling exhibited by Fae very often, but it seemed the appropriate word for the moment. "I shouldn't give you a big head though, lest' you think you always fill my head with dreams.

A soft amused laugh punctuated his sentence as he seated himself, gesturing to the spot beside him. "I know you still harbor some frustration with me about my handling of the court before your arrival. My list of mistakes in the past even beyond that is long and exhausting, but do not think that I have changed who I am, Elowen." The commotion coming from the tournament itself was somewhat overwhelming, and Nairth watched the performance of the current competitor with a content smile.

Elowen Praeda

The Fury walked closely behind one of the assistant directors. She doubted she would be called for an encore, but she was happy to amuse herself by indulging in her fellow Fae. Hells, perhaps she would get to enjoy another round of laughter from that original bard who had left them all rioting with giggles after Sir Dirgus' performance.

It wasn't until Nyxx was almost back standing by the Fae near the stage, when a now familiar presence pulled at the wisps of her shadowy awareness. She whipped around and scanned the crowd until her eyes locked on the fucking smuggest smile she had ever seen. And it wasn't until he had settled back at his table and drank deep from his mug that she realized.

Oh no. Oh no no nonono. Rohan indeed intended on biting back.

Rohan Quacey

• Smug
Reactions: Adrian Black
Brecc wiped his mouth with the back of his hand as he stood to his full height, his arm spread wide as he spoke "Anymore or all of ya too scared that I'll rinse of ya money like all the others?" he waited for a bit for a response for another challenger.

"No?" he asked again before sitting back down and scoping the pile of gold that lay in the middle of the table towards him and beginning to count it, not caring for anything else happening

Inwardly, Varos sighed at the lack of recognition in the face of his business partner. 'Seems like we've some work to do,' he thought. Though, such plans would come later as he focused on the task at hand. Thankfully his luck did take something of a turn for the better as another rider strode past, his swagger inciting an obvious rage in Varos' mark.

"Deal. Extra prize if you knock him off his ass."
The jockey's hand collided with his own and Varos was quick to return the grip, a wide grin forming upon his lips. There was a hum in the air and his spine shivered as a familiar magic ran over him. The bind of a fae's accord.

"Hence my need for tricks. Keep a clear eye, this will be fun." A firm shake to seal the deal and Varos turned to look over his steed. "Now my dear, we need to get acquainted. Not much time and we've a race to win." Joy filled the lord of secrets as he took the reins and went off to prepare for the race. The summer court had gathered itself more than a few enemies and the Vitae court still remembered the animosity they had fostered millennia before. Scheming to knock the pompous brownie into the dirt wasn't just business. It would be absolute pleasure.

Quacey

• Smug
Reactions: Gwynevere
It was a grand tournament, Elowen agreed with a nod. As they walked together, Elowen was keenly away of his hand taking its sweet time to cease contact with her body. Perhaps it was nothing or perhaps she just had not been touched thusly in so long. She shooed those thoughts from her mind as he continued to talk while they walked towards some open seats.

"Ha," she laughed at his comments. "I am the one that fills your head with dreams? You are the one that decided to be King while I was not around to talk you out of the very dumb choice. I should have been there to fill your head with realities." There was a joking tone to her words but she knew this was never his first choice in career paths.

Elowen gave him a sidelong look. She was frustrated but she was not angry. She could never be angry with him. He did frustrate her quite often though. It was like he had a six sense on how to drive her insane.

"Nairth, I know you have not changed. You were always a whore who thought with certain parts above others,"
she smiled sweetly at him. She knew full well that she was the only one who could get away with talking to him like that.

Nairth San'Seya

• Cthulhoo rage
Reactions: Nairth San'Seya
Nairth found it difficult to focus on the tournament proceedings when his own Chamberlain saw fit to give him such cheek. Elowen was doubly lucky: Not only was she a childhood friend, but he prided himself on wielding a level of leniency that the other rulers may not be so rapt with. Still the smirk on his face turned sour for a moment, before returning as Nairth fired back.

"They call me a green King, but the only green I see is the jealousy in your words. If you wanted to be the one I focused on, you needed only ask. Perhaps that was why you were always so chaste?" The King shrugs his shoulders, turning back to the tournament. San'Seya knew it wasn't that simple, but she'd wanted to aim below the belt and so he had followed suit. Nairth had been quite promiscuous, and he would admit to that effect, but many of the Fae were. No, the Spring King suspected her gripe had less to do with his general behavior, and more to do with one particular choice he'd made.

"Besides." He continued. "Oberon had no heir, and I was Chamberlain. It was my duty to serve, not a choice. You know that." Nairth allowed his body to lean somewhat lazily back, drinking in the competition. It was a bit of a mess, with no real organization to it, but it did give any who wanted a chance to showcase themselves ample opportunity to do so. "Any of them stand out? It's better now you're here, but we're still short on people, especially with this Summer nonsense brewing..."

Elowen Praeda

Elowen stiffened at his words. She had not thought she went too low but apparently she had because he had stabbed her right in the gut. She just narrowed her eyes at Nairth and fought the urge to stab him back. Something about his now dead children would certainly do it but she kept the thoughts to herself.

She took a slow breath and released it. Counting to ten always helped when she wanted to say things that were inappropriate. It did not always work, of course.

"I prefer to know the people I fuck longer than a few hours..." Elowen finally replied in her defense. She was not some innocent angel but she was more particular than many of the fae.

The King relaxed in his seat while the Chamberlain remained sitting straight and proper. At his question, she just shrugged shallowly.

"Not yet," she answered to his question about anyone standing out. There may have been a slight snip in her voice now.

Nairth San'Seya

Rohan had grown tired of waiting for Nyxx's return. Her delicious drink would no longer be delicious if she waited much longer. He saw her looking at him and couldn't help the evil little smirk that fell over this lips. He was so enjoying fucking with her and it was just going to get better.

Yes, he would deliver her new drink. Like the gentleman he was.

The shuck rose from his seat and grabbed a mug in each hand. It was not a long walk before he was standing next to the crazy Fury.

"Your drink, my lady," he said with all the sarcasm he could muster in four little words.

Nyxx

Nairth didn't immediately respond to Elowen's rebuttal, bitter and filled with mirth as it was. They had both gone a step too far in their comments, and the King had realized it almost immediately. The both of them were dear, lifelong friends. But there were emotions hidden beneath the surface, that neither had spoken.

Nor did he focus on the proceedings in the arena. Rather he closed his eyes for a moment. Collecting his thoughts. Turmoil would not serve he and his Chamberlain well, no matter how serious or otherwise, the jabs were.

"I apologize, Elowen. I did not mean to insult you."

The San'Seya brushed his hair aside as he turned to watch her. Praeda was so tense, took her new position so seriously. She wasn't unlike him when he'd first taken the title of Chamberlain. He'd had to learn that with creatures so fickle as the Fae, no amount of focus and professionalism would change fate. What would be would be.

"You are my dearest friend. I humbly ask of you, as not the King, but as Nairth San'Seya, that you understand there may be reasons for my actions beyond what you know. I am not a fool. I am not led by lust. I promise you this."

Elowen Praeda

Nyxx

The feathery mistress seemed to be in the clear as the crowd asked for encores from other competitors. Things seemed to be going smoothly, but not for the co-assistant directors. Leinos was sweating. So many droplets were sliding down his face that one might mistake him for a glacier's edge mid summer. As the sweating grew so did the size and obvious falsehood of his smile.

Leilah was the opposite. She seemed to become more and more of a blank slate in the face. Somehow she was seeming to be more and more unkempt and the bag under her eyes darkened like storm clouds.

While one down poured anxiety the other thundered silently.

After a bit Leinos slid in next to his sister and whispered, "Where is Lord Quacey? The crowd won't stall itself forever."

Leilah was quiet for the briefest second before sighing. Then she turned her attention towards part of the crowd and focused. Her lips moved but no sound came out. A moment later a voice from that part of the crowd in a likely familiar sounding voice said, "I want to hear from Lady Nyxx!"

Leinos looked to his sister and said, "You are a terrible actress."

After moving her jaw a bit and rubbing her throat she said back a bit hoarsely, "Stop talking and just trust Lord Quacey will return soon."

============================
Varos

The mare would adjust to her new rider fairly quickly, although with a subtle protest at first. She handled well and responded almost instinctively. No doubt a decent match at the least for such a high born fae as Varos.

Her owner was less able to adapt. Even though the deal had been made and he too had felt that all too familiar sensation of the magic binding the two to their words, he was in a seeming stranger danger panic with every motion and word.

But the first announcement for the race to begin in the next half hour was made.

The breeder snapped their head in the direction of it and sighed heavily. Then he grabbed the reigns and began to lead the horse with her rider still mounted where they needed to be. All the little things were handled by him on the way as well. All Varos had to do was ready himself for the race to come.

============================
Ophelia

A smile crossed his lips as the perpetually cranky fae began to make her complaints. It was a good sign when she was being this prickly. Meant she was more comfortable and with her domain comfortable was very good.

"Perhaps you did. Best you assume so and live your dream to the fullest."

Quacey would offer her his arm before they walked, but she was making it clear she wanted to put some distance between them. Most likely she was worried of rumors. But the tournament was crowded and he was uncomfortable with the idea of the mother of his unborn child to get lost and swallowed up in the crowd. Rumors came and went like the wind. No reason to let them dictate his path.

The large fae would move in close then wrap his arm around her waist. A soft tug to pull her in against him with his arm acting as a buffer between her and others.

"If this is unpleasant then I can offer you my arm instead Ophelia. Those are your choices. I will not leave you alone in this crowd."

Nyxx Varos Ophelia Eärtári Rohan

• Bless
Reactions: Ophelia
"It is fine, Nairth," Elowen replied to his apology.

She had technically started it and she had gone too far. She hated when she was in the wrong. It quite irritated her so that was why she always tried to keep her emotions in check. It was better that way.

"You are my dearest friend. I humbly ask of you, as not the King, but as Nairth San'Seya, that you understand there may be reasons for my actions beyond what you know. I am not a fool. I am not led by lust. I promise you this."

Elowen was silent for a good minute or so before she spoke again. She knew he would not just accept okay or I know as an answer. She did not believe he was not led by lust but he obviously did since he could speak it. Maybe she should have kept her mouth shut when she found out about Shaileigh. Kept her mouth shut and stayed away.

No...this was what she was meant to do.

"Nairth," she took a breath before continuing. "I will take your word for it."

It was all she could say that would not sound rude and hopefully it would not lead to him asking her questions. She was not ready to discuss feelings and that type shit.

Nairth San'Seya

While he allowed his sponsor to handle the official documents and proceedings, Varos' eyes wandered over his competition, noting each banner and marking of allegiance. Of course, there were also the strings that flowed off of them, visible to his eyes only. But those came from everyone and while he was so often content to pluck at the secrets to learn their contents, for now, he left it be. He highly doubted that who had defiled whose wife would do him much good in the competition to come.

"Don't worry, friend. After this race, I promise you'll be headed home with a smile and a prize." He shifted in his seat and adjusted his hold on the reigns. Something in his head suggested that he ought to pray to some sort of god of scouts and long night riders. Though, that was likely the prayers that had been sent to him, simply coming back as a memory.

He leaned forward, his face coming next to his steed's ear. "Everyone about can already see you're the belle of the ball. I say we show them how well you can dance." His onyx eyes shifted to the summer fae who was settling behind the gate. "They're nothing but a mule. They just need us to prove it."

Quacey

"I can only hope so." She fought to hide the amusement in her voice. "You're right, though. No sense hiding away if I'm only in a dream."

She tried to preserve their distance, quietly walking beside him until he pulled her close. "Oof-" She grunted, definitely caught off guard by his sudden choice to wrap his arm around her. She shot a confused look upward at him, her body stiffening at his touch.

"No...it is alright. You can continue." She took a deep breath, taking a moment to count quietly and calm herself down- a simple technique they had been working on before her sudden leave in the middle of the night. Simple for some, that is. She could see some of the flora dying around her as they walked.

Ninety-nine. Ninety-eight. Ninety-seven. Please stop. Ninety-six. Ninety-five. Ninety-four.

"You are fine as you are, but it seems your presence is required on stage. I'll be fine to sit alone for a few minutes."

Quacey