Private Tales The Spy & The Smuggler

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Rhaener debated if he wanted to tell his mate about his past. It was honestly probably to do so now when they had just met. He did not get to answer she took her glass and her hand touched his. There was an odd feeling of happiness that ran through him but they were both quick to disengage from the accidental grazing.

The Night Court male sat on the couch once more and decided that he should tell Shayleigh everything. Of course, he did not know that she already knew.

"Love has been something that has alluded me outside of family and those who became my family." He thought he had loved Sadie but she was more like a sister to him especially now. Shayleigh was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen - save his mother of course.

"I was a typical Night Court High Lord for many years. Before my parents died and then it got worse afterwards. Drinking, fucking, fighting...it was bad. I am not proud of it and I am sure that I was close to drinking myself to death when Shyreen approached me about helping women. She said I had to stop my partying but I couldn't let on that I had stopped because that would raise suspicion."

There was a pause as Rhaener took a slow drink of the wine. He was sure that Shayleigh thought him disgusting now. He would not blame her either.

"I have worked so hard to change and no one even knows because that would open up doors that need to stay closed. Why is the playboy not going out? What is he doing instead? Did he find a wife? No, no wife." He shook his head. "Everything I do is to protect the women now."

Another sip. "I am also a dick sometimes. Obviously not like the typical Night Court males but I was born and raised there so some seeps in, I think."

Shayleigh

• Aww
Reactions: Shayleigh
Shay watched him take his place on the couch over the rim of her glass as she let the cool, sweet liquid run down her throat. She wouldn’t say a thing about the feeling that passed through them as they touched briefly, at least she thought it passed through them both with how quickly he withdrew his hand.

Surely what he had felt for that woman was love, at least that what she thought she had felt through him was love.. Then again, she didn’t know the first thing about what true love felt like. Nor did she believe in True Love. Those honey brown locks finally dried thanks to the heat from the fire, causing those curls to tighten some, fingers running through them to break them apart.

Brow quirked, was he actually going to tell her about his past? About who he really was? Of course, she knew some details but it was best to hear it from the one and only instead of word of mouth passed on from person to person. Information always seemed to get lost in each passing.

All she did was listen and sip at the wine. Drinking, fucking and fighting, got it. So her assumption of him having been with a few women was likely way more than just a few which twisted her stomach for some reason. Had her wondering if throwing out the mate thing was a way to complete his conquest of her before moving onto the next. Surely, she was not to believe that he’s stopped taking women to bed just because of the job he took.

And how incredibly embarrassing it would be to admit that she had yet to lay with any man. She’d done well to lie about it throughout the years but her stories were far from the truth. “I understand why the Vitae Court sent me then, with your ruse going I’m sure that is why they question if they should get involved or not. So why tell me this if it's to be kept a secret?”

She’d gone to take another drink before continuing only to realize that she was already out.. again.. Slow the fuck down! She told herself “Well, someone needs to put you in your place when the dick side comes out to play.” She chuckled. Oh gods, why are you lauging Shay.. “Is there anything else you wish to tell me about yourself, Rhaener?”

Rhaener Nadir

"Because the last thing I want is for you to find out who I was down the line..."

Rhaener took another drink after letting the words hang in the air. Would there be a down the line? He hoped so. She was his mate. Fate had brought them together. They were meant to be.

But it was all up to her. She had to accept the mating bond and he did not want her to have any regrets if she did. He did not want to push her away because she found out he used to be a massive whore.

He chuckled at how she believed she was the one that was going to put him in his place but it was her laugh that stopped his breath. Rhaener just looked at her like she was the only woman who existed. He watched her curls bounce and the corner of her eyes crinkle. He realized he was staring at her with a goofy half smile on his face when she asked her next question.

"I never thought I would have a mate," he said tentatively. "I certainly never thought she would be the most beautiful female I have set my eyes on if it did happen."

He paused again as if thinking what else to add, "I want to leave Night Court. I do not want to raise any future children there."

One more pause before he said something that could very well send Shayleigh running.

"And I want to kiss you..."

Shayleigh

Last edited:
  • Wonder
Down the line? Eyes squinted trying to figure out what exactly that meant but her mind was having a hard time putting anything together at the moment. It was the wine, for sure the wine. It had nothing to do with the fact that she wouldn’t even begin to allow herself to believe in this mate bond thing. There was no possible way. She didn’t have one, didn’t want one, not after what had happened.. If that’s what mates do to each other, she’d never allow it.

As her laughter came to its end she looked up to him, catching that look and the tug at the corners of his lips. His smile and the way he saw her, actually saw her and it did something to her heart - an extra beat and before she caught her breath.

Then came his words and she had many of her own to follow his. “After being with so many women, who's to say you could be happy with just one when you have your pick of any?” Anyone would be stupid to believe that he still didn’t have women willing to literally throw themselves at him, even if it were just for a night.

That brightness in her eyes seemed to dim when he mentioned the mate thing again leaving her to shake her head lightly. “I think the whole mating bond is a lie. Nothing good comes from it.” She said with such a sour tone to it that it was more than evident that she’d experienced something that had to do with that very subject. “Most beautiful you’ve ever set your eyes on? I’m certain you’re not referring to me Rhaener” She followed that with another chuckle but a pained one.

Her heart felt like it was going to drop into her stomach as he mentioned children. A family. How she longed for that very thing again.. But.. it would never be, not for her. “Can one simply stop being High lord of the night court and just move on to something else, somewhere else?” She wasn’t too knowledgeable when it came to how these things worked with each court. Could one move to another court and be stationed as a high lord there?

Shay froze when his last words hit her ears..

And I want to kiss you..

Had she heard that right, surely not. “You want to do what?” She questioned before she began to laugh again. “Me? You want to kiss me? Why?!” She continued to laugh. She wasn't making fun of him, just couldn't understand why he'd want to. “There’s nothing special about me Rhaener, just a waste of space sometimes.. I assure you, it would be rather disappointing” Her laughed continued but softened.. It was the wine again. She was most definitely feeling the wine now.

Rhaener Nadir

“After being with so many women, who's to say you could be happy with just one when you have your pick of any?”

Rhaener felt like he had been slapped but he tried not to let it show. It had been many years since he was that man and it hurt him to have it thrown in his face. He knew he deserved it. He was not going to dignify it with an answer though. He didn't want to.

“I think the whole mating bond is a lie. Nothing good comes from it.”

Another slap. It still stung through his body as she laughed sadly at her self-deprecation. He just looked at her with concern as he sipped his wine.

He finally spoke again with her next question. "Yes, of course. I may not be a High Lord ever again but I also will no longer be in Night Court and that is the important thing," he sighed and took another drink. He was still thinking on her words about the bond being a lie.

“There’s nothing special about me Rhaener, just a waste of space sometimes.. I assure you, it would be rather disappointing”

A third slap. Man, it hurt. He set his glass down on the table and stood up to get closer to her. Rhaener crossed the short distance between them and sat down on the floor in front of her. She was still on her side and he made sure to leave some space between them.

"Shayleigh, what happened to you?"

There was no accusation in his voice. It was kind and soft. He was genuinely curious and worried. She was a beautiful woman and she had been down on herself at every single turn.

Shayleigh

Last edited:
  • Cry
It was never her intent on hurting anyone, physically, mentally or emotionally. Unfortunately for her, she didn’t know that her words were doing just that. Her words, or more so questions, were meant to help ease her mind. They were truly from a good place in her heart and information she felt she needed.

Once a whore, always a whore. Something she’d been told growing up and it happened to stay with her throughout time. Perhaps it was just a way her mother would keep her from being promiscuous like so many other Fae were. Maybe it wasn’t true, maybe there was a way to keep those urges of finding a new lover so often at bay. Either way, it has since been in the back of her mind that once a man has had his way with so many, there is no way to keep him satisfied or happy even with just one. That was her reasoning for that question. To ease her own troubled thoughts.

There was a slight smile that broke her somber features when he finally answered at least one of her questions, the one regarding moving from the Night Court. The smile came due to the fact that he’d willingly give up so much just for a family, for love. Shay could barely remember what it was like to live in a house with family, with love surrounding it. The feeling of being safe when around someone, making all her worries no longer a bother. Now she sees that as being vulnerable.. “I think it is wonderful that you would give up your title and your standings with the night court just for the hopes of happiness.”

Ambers followed him as he got up from the couch and sat in front of her, a questioning look given prior to his words. Was this his way of trying to kiss her as he said he wished too? Not a smooth way of doing so, she thought. But then his question came and something washed over her by those four simple words. A wave of emotions which had her wondering which to allow forward.. How would she answer this!

“What do you mean?” She laughed but there was something hidden behind that laughter “Nothing hap..” She cut herself off as her eyes locked with his, the pain was present in her eyes. How had he seen it? How did he know to ask such? Her vision blurred as tears threatened to drop but she’d not allow it.

“I uh..” She paused again.. “Meant it when I mentioned my home being in the wilds, not because of the fact that I had no money or any place to do but because I was hiding, I didn’t want to be found. I’ve been there for well over three hundred years.” She choked back “My uh, father.. Well.” She shook her head. She had never talked about this with anyone and found it to be rather difficult..

“I’ll show you.” She said as she reached her arm out to him, grabbing hold of his hand to form her connection. She would only show him bits and pieces, not all of it, just enough to get the point across. He would see it through her eyes. The house was beautiful, not too big, not too small but just right. She had been out in the gardens with a book, laying in the grass when she heard something break inside the house, then a cry from her mother.
He would feel the panic that she felt as she raced to the house, opening the back door just in time to see her father with an axe, brutally slamming it down on her mother. She watched in horror as her mother lost her fight, her cries softening with every second until she was nothing but a blood mess on the floor. Pain, shock, her heart breaking as her father noticed her standing there and there was nothing but pure evil in his eyes, no drop of love..

Shay trembled as she continued to show him.. Her father yelled, a yell to wake the dead as he began to chase after her. The axe came close to her several times, cutting into her flesh a few times before she was able to get away by shifting and continued to run until she thought she was going to die of exhaustion. Then she cut the connection and let go of his hand as she sat up, bringing her knees to her chest again, letting her arms wrap around her legs.

“They were mated, their mating bond was said to be the strongest many had seen in so long.. They’d been happy, we were all happy, everything was great.. Then that.. And if that is what’s expected with a mate, I don’t want it. I can’t..I don't even know why I told you, showed you even.. I've never told anyone what happened. I'm sure he's still out there somewhere.”

Rhaener Nadir

Rhaener froze as Shayleigh took his hand but he quickly relaxed. The feel of her skin on his was nice and it just felt right. He did not speak though. Now was not the time to speak.

Inside his mind, he watched in horror at what she shared with him. Everything made more sense now. Of course she was weary of love. The pain he felt through the bond brought tears to his eyes but he watched her memories still. He did not pull away until she broke the connection and sat up.

As she spoke of her parents being mates, his heart broke a little more. It was not love that scared her...it was mates. It was him. He scared her. His heart broke as he moved to her side and wrapped both of his arms around her.

"That is not how mates are supposed to work, Shay. Here...connect to my mind..." He gently raised a hand from his hug to take her hand once more.

If she did as he requested, he would show her the strongest mating bond he had ever experienced.

The first memory would be of Rhaener when he was a child with his parents. He would show her multiple ones of his childhood and as he grew up. How close he was to his parents and how in love his parents were. He skipped many years to his mothers bedside. She was sick and dying. His father was beside himself but kept trying to be strong for his wife and son. The next scene would show the funeral of his mother. His father was barely holding on. She would be able to feel the grief and love that Rhaener had for his father. The love that had him speaking the next words to his broken father. You can go, father. I will be fine, I promise... His father died of a broken heart within the week.

Shayleigh

It wasn’t just the mate thing that scared her, nor just him. It’s, also the fear of letting people get close to her and her them. If she allowed it, it would only end with her getting hurt again. She wasn’t sure she could survive the pain again, it had changed something inside of her..

Shay lifted her head off her knees as Rhaener moved from the couch, eyes followed as he came to sit next to her and to her surprise he wrapped his arms around her. Shay was trembling in his arms but did not refuse the touch. It was a warmth she hadn’t expected, one she hadn’t felt in so long and then it was gone as he moved away enough to offer his hand.

That is not how mates are supposed to work, Shay.

She looked from his hand, to him before she took it into hers. The connection was instant, he was showing her bits and pieces of his childhood but more importantly, of his parents. They were a mated pair, so much so it seemed their heart was one. Felt the wave of emotions coming from every single memory he allowed her to see. Tears fell freely as she looked upon his mothers funeral and her heart broke again at the words he spoke to his father..

Shay let go and looked at him. “My parents were like that until that day.. So very much in love, the kind of love that makes others wish they had it too. But then.. It happened and I don’t know why.. “ She sighed, still a bit shaky “I’m sorry about your parents, losing both in such a short amount of time does something to you, creates this constant feeling that you’re alone even when you’re not.”

She shook her head “How can a mate kill the other with no hesitation?” She asked, she knew he wouldn’t have an answer, no one did. A mate shouldn’t be able to do such. "How can anyone be certain that won't happen to them too?"

Rhaener Nadir

Rhaener opened his eyes and brought a hand up to gently wipe away her tears. She was beautiful even when she was crying. He was happy he was able to show her his memories but he was also upset that he had made her cry. He never wanted to hurt her. Ever.

He had a hunch that her father was not in his right mind when he had murdered his mate but he could not prove such a thing.

"Shay," he started softly and pulled her closer to him again. He just needed to hold her while she was upset. He did not try to kiss her or let his hands wander anywhere inappropriate. "I suspect that there was a foul magic controlling your father. His eyes...they weren't right," he finished and looked down at her.

"I have heard of magics that can control other people. Why? I have no idea but perhaps he made someone mad or a female simply could have wanted him for herself."

Rhaener placed a gentle kiss on her temple before standing up and holding a hand down for her.

"Come sit with me on the couch, Shay," he offered with a sad smile. "My back is burning a little," he chuckled softly.

Shayleigh

She leaned into his hand unknowingly as he wiped away her tears, it was a comfort that she’d not been accustomed too for some time. One she knew she shouldn’t allow herself to get used too, especially from someone she barely knew. Yet, she sat there with those eye’s closed as he wiped at the other side, the warmth from his hand welcoming.

Shay

“Hmm” Said in a sheepish tone as eyes slowly opening just as he pulled her into him again, his arms finding their way around her. Not necessarily because she was tired but because just the comfort of his touch had soothed her so much that she found herself relaxing, for once. Her head found his shoulder, laying softly upon it before he continued to speak.

Magic.. Why hadn’t she thought about that throughout these years? She thought to herself as she felt his eyes on her. It had never crossed her mind that he could have been being controlled and it should have, he wasn’t like that normally.. “If that’s true, I left him to suffer instead of finding a way to help him.. I don’t even know if he’s alive or dead, I didn’t want to bring everything back up after hiding from it for so long. Maybe that was a mistake.” She had only herself to blame for not finding out what truly happened.

Lips, his lips had pressed against her temple and damn if her body didn’t react to that by sending a shiver throughout her body. Though, she could just play that off due to what they’ve been talking about and not due to him.. Right?

She lifted her head as he began to stand and looked at his outstretched had as he requested for her to join him. She hesitated briefly before her hand met with his as she stood. “Is your back okay? I didn’t realize how close we were to the fire, I’m sorry.” Bare feet padded across the short distance to the couch, taking a seat as close as she could to one end of it to give him more room.

Rhaener Nadir

Rhaener just nodded at her question about his back. It would be fine in a few seconds really. He did not speak on anything else until they were both settled on the couch. He sat with his back on the arm of the couch with his right arm resting on the back. One leg was crossed over his left thigh sitting on the couch as well. It was a weird position but it was comfortable.

"Shay, you did the right thing. If he was possessed or controlled then he would have likely killed you as well."

He took notice of the fact that she was as far away from him as she could get an still be on the couch. He was good and refrained from making a joke during this serious conversation.

"If you want..." He stopped and ran a hand through his hair as if he was trying to get the courage. "We can go find him..."

Shayleigh

She watched as he got comfortable on the couch, his couch, she had to keep remaindering herself. All she could do was listen to him regarding her having done the right thing. She’d thought so at first or more so for the past couple hundred years. But now, now she wasn’t so sure it had been. There were so many what ifs that her mind was clustered with that had her thinking otherwise.

She was so far away merely to give him space, wouldn’t have been too polite if she’d taken up most of the couch now, would it? Or maybe it was because those few short moments of being in his arms had caused so many emotions, such a comfort, so… Well, it was something she’d not ever allowed herself to feel and even with him showing her his memories of his parents, it didn’t lessen her fear that what happened to hers would happen to her.

She’d hoped and sang to the gods that someday she be as lucky as her parents, so in love that nothing else in the world could break that bond. That there was nothing that couldn’t be dealt with, with her mate beside her. That all changed that day, unfortunately but that didn’t mean there wasn’t still some small part of her who desired just that. That wanted to feel wanted, needed, loved, desired. Who wouldn’t?! But could she afford to let it in?

Shay lifted her eyes to Rhaener as he began to speak again, taking her mind off her own thoughts for a moment. Watched as his fingers slid through his hair and caught herself wondering how it felt. Confusion, shock and then disbelief filled those eyes. “Go find him? Why? What if he’s still like he was, what if I find out he is dead.. What if I have to..” she stopped herself and shook her head, the panic in her voice spoke volumes.
She was scared, scared of finding out the things she’d run from for so long. If he went after her again, what if they’d have to.. Kill him?! There would be no way she could live with herself if something like that happened.

“You shouldn’t bother yourself in my affairs Rhaener, as you said before, you work so much that you barely have time for yourself. If you can find the time to help me find my father, then you should take that time for yourself, not me.” In truth, she couldn’t believe he had even offered to help her. It warmed a place in her heart she thought dead by now.

Rhaener Nadir

Rhaener rubbed his forehead while he was shaking it. This female was out to make him lose his mind.

"Shay, you are the most infuriating and stubborn female I have ever met," there was humor in his tone. "I would not have mentioned it if I was not interested in you and your affairs," he finished.

His dark gaze was soft as he studied every line of her face. Every beautiful line.

The next words came out without thought. "I want to spend time with you, Shay. I want to get to know you..." It was all truth as his eyes met hers. "My time alone will be spent thinking of you now..."

Shayleigh

For the first time in what seemed like forever shay laughed, actually laughed when he called her out the way he did. She brought her hand up to cover her mouth, doing her best to stifle it. She didn’t honestly know what part of his statement she found more hilarious or why even. Maybe it was the wine's fault again? Always blame the wine.

“Why? Because I speak the truth and I stand firm in that?”
Said through her laughter, taking a few short breaths as the giggles began to stop. “And what if these affairs get you in trouble or hurt? Then what? Why risk it?

His eyes on her felt like a warm hand traveling everywhere his eyes did, maybe her imagination or her will simply manifesting what her brain won’t let her give into. His next words had her eyes upon him again trying to determine if they were true or not.

“I just..” she said softly. “We’ve known each other for not even twenty four hours and you feel this way?” Of course, she might too if she’d just give in. “I’d like to get to know you too, Rhaener. I just..” She said again. “I’m not sure about this mate thing still. It may not be something that scares others but it does me.” Then a smile found it’s way upon her solemn face. “Come now, don’t waste your alone time thinking about me.”

Rhaener Nadir

Her laugh chased away every shadow in the room. It also chased away the shadows in his mind that threatened to consume him sometimes. She was pure light and beauty.

"First of all, I love that you speak the truth and stand firm. They are traits that seem to have gotten lost with some of our kin," Rhaener paused to let his own chuckle out.

"Second...I do not care. I want to help you and you were clearly brought into this world to drive me up a wall," he said once he had stopped chuckling.

His face became serious and he shifted before scooting closer to Shay. He took her hands in his and looked into her eyes. Gods, she is beautiful, he thought as he gained the courage to speak again.

"I am not asking you to accept the mating bond. I would never force that decision before you were ready. I am just asking that you let me get to know you and you me. Please," there was a plea in his voice now.

Shayleigh

"Good!" She giggled out "I'm glad you love it." Those full nude lips curled into a smile "Though, maybe it's because I've spent the last couple hundred years by myself that I am that way. Let's just hope being that way doesn't get me into trouble though im sure it will" Shay laughed out.

"You do not care" Brow rose "I don't believe that" She poked at him "I've done pretty well by myself Rhaener, do I really need help?" The wine was doing its work when it came to saying whatever she wished without a second thought. Though, she was trying to do it in a funny, joking manner. "Drive you up the wall!? I don't really see that as a bad thing, at least I'll keep you on your toes" She winked at him. Wait.. winked?! What the hell shay.

Amber's widen some as she took note of how his features changed, more of a serious I'm not playing type look, adding the fact that he was now moving closer to her meant he was about to say something significant. Her heart pounded in her chest as he took hold of her hands, was it just her or had there been some sort of spark that happened when their hands met!? Likely just her being overly tired and well, drunk.

He took her breath away as he sat there and just, looked at her. She could get lost in his eyes if she so wished, spend a day doing just that.. Maybe a day wasn't long enough. Could he feel how eratic her heart was beating?! Oh shay, just look away.. Don't do this.

Something broke in her with the way he said please.. As if he was dangling off the edge of a cliff and the only thing that could save him was.. her. Her fingers found there way to interlace with his as she took a deep breath. "No harm in getting to know each other, I think I'll enjoy that. You may come to find that you don't like me much after spending time with me" She laughed. It was then she let go of one of his hands only to lean closer, letting her fingers brush against his cheek as she moved his hair out of his face making it easier to look into his eyes and smiled.

Rhaener Nadir

Last edited:
"Drive you up the wall!? I don't really see that as a bad thing, at least I'll keep you on your toes."

Those words combined with the wink reassured Rhaener that there was a chance. She was thinking about them past tonight. She was thinking about driving him crazy, but he would take what he could get.

He could tell that he had caused something in her stir when he had taken her hands and that smug part of him was pleased. He was making some progress.

"No harm in getting to know each other, I think I'll enjoy that. You may come to find that you don't like me much after spending time with me"

"If I find that I do not like you much then we can move on with ours lives separately," he hated to even suggest it but he would not force her to love him.

"Now...what would you like to do for the rest of the evening, my dear?"

Shayleigh

If I find that I don't like you much then we can move on with our lives separately

She swallowed hard at that statement unsure why there was a twinge of pain that followed his words. His tone seemed so serious and he, well, looked serious about it. Question was, could they really? Move on separately if they’re truly mates and live their lives as if neither one existed, as if they had no mate at all. Yes, she knew she was fighting it, she knew it scared her but she wasn’t sure it was possible to move on without knowing what could have been.

Now…what would you like to do for the rest of the evening, my dear?

Shay finally removed her hand that had lingered by and slightly on his cheek after moving those strands away. She had shown some affection towards him which had come out of nowhere, yet, it had gone unnoticed. She didn’t blame him though, not with how she was taking everything and that was likely why he hadn’t. Didn’t want to scare her off, maybe..

“I don’t want to keep you up too much longer, not sure what time it is but I’m sure it’s late and you were reading, so I could go back to my room for the night and allow you some peace and quiet." Maybe she could grab a book before going back to the room he had offered her for the night.. Or he could read to her while they enjoyed the fire.. Of course, it wasn’t like she was going to suggest that. “No more wine though..” She offered a faint smile. "Not sure I can handle much more on an empty stomach without becoming rather tipsy."

Rhaener Nadir

The affection had not gone unnoticed but he was afraid to scare her off. He was already fighting every urge to see if her lips were as soft as they appeared to be.

“I don’t want to keep you up too much longer, not sure what time it is but I’m sure it’s late and you were reading, so I could go back to my room for the night and allow you some peace and quiet."

Rhaener heard her words but they went in one ear and out the other.

“No more wine though. Not sure I can handle much more on an empty stomach without becoming rather tipsy."

And then he did it.

Against his better judgement and everything screaming at him not to do it...he did it.

Rhaener brough his hand to her cheek and leaned in to place a soft, chaste kiss on her lips. They were as soft as they appeared to be.

Shayleigh

• Wonder
He had just sat there as she spoke, as she joked about the wine. His eyes felt heavy on her, as if all he was doing was taking her in. What would he have done if she admitted to never having had a man's attention like that? She may have caught someone’s eye a few times since coming out of seclusion but never quite like this.

Her eyes closed the moment his hand grazed her cheek and leaned into his touch. She shouldn’t have and deep down, she knew that. She knew she shouldn’t be giving into these odd, all too sudden feelings. Then the warmth of his lips pressed against her own and something stirred in her. Something that seemed almost feral was the only way she could describe it as she started to lean into the kiss, only to have him break it off just as quickly as it had started.

Ambers opened and stared at him for just a few seconds before she leaned into him, placing both hands on either side of his face, fingers pressing in gently as she kissed him again. Her heart was racing, what was she doing!? Then reality of what she was doing smacked her in the face and she pulled back quickly, hands slowly moving off his face as she brought them down to her lap.

“I uh..” Said slightly breathless “Sorry.. I don’t know why.. I did that.” Shay got off the couch slowly, arms folding gentle around herself while she turned to look at him again. “Rhaener..” She paused and thought about what she was going to say but shook her head instead. “Um.. Goodnight.” Was all she could muster before her bare feet moved out of the steady and into the hall that led to the room he was letting her stay in for the night.

Shay crawled onto the bed, sitting in the middle of it trying to shift through everything that had just happened, actually, everything that had happened that evening trying to calm her racing heart. One day at a time, she told herself. That’s all she could do.

Rhaener Nadir

Shay had not pushed him away.

Shay had not slapped him.

Shay had kissed him.

Shay had kissed him after he had pulled away from her.

Score one for Rhaener, he thought with some pride (and smugness).

It was short lived though as she practically jumped off the couch. He stood but was unable to pull her into a hug before she said goodnight and dashed away. Rhaener did not try to go after her. He wanted to, of course, but he did not want to push her. She needed some time alone to collect herself after everything that had happened this evening.

Rhaener resumed his reading for a bit before he, too, retired to his bed. He had never realized that his large bed was so lonely until now.

Shayleigh

• Aww
Shay had sat in bed for a while letting her gaze shift between the door that she had left open and her hands idly messing with the blanket. It wasn’t like she expected him to come after her or even check on her.. Right?. She groaned at the thought, not wanting to believe what she had done and what she was feeling. She had kissed him! Had intentionally leaned in and pulled him back into a kiss. A heavy sigh echoed in the room and it was then she realized she’d been dragging a finger lightly upon her lips.. Fuck!

The door was soon closed, seeing no reason to keep it open and crawled into bed. The luxury of an actual bed had her curling herself into it, pulling the blanket tight. This had to have been the most comfortable bed she had ever been in. She needed to try and get some sleep and yet, she wasn’t sure sleep would visit tonight.

Shay turned on her side, back facing the door as she looked out of a window on the other side and just watched the night. She replayed everything that had happened tonight and wondered if it was just pure coincidence that this was her first task and all of this happened. Had she failed? Was this a sign that she shouldn’t be doing this, that maybe she needed to tell the court that she appreciated their offer but now has to decline it.. Her thoughts were heavy on Vitae, on Rhaener, on the mating bond..If she had done something wrong.. Obviously she had, in many ways.

It was hours later that sleep finally took hold, unfortunately not for long before the nightmares started. Now she tossed and turned, becoming more and more restless, mumbling, crying, all while asleep. Not something she ever realized she did while she slept.

Rhaener Nadir

Rhaener was asleep within minutes of his head hitting the pillow. He was always tired after a delivery and his beautiful visitor had added to the exhaustion. He, of course, would never let her know that. She would feel terrible for keeping him up and he would have to reassure her that he did not mind. It was better to just keep it to himself and not cause her anxiety.

Dragging up his memories earlier had caused them to swirl around in his dream state. Those memories were not always happy ones though and those were the ones that he was currently reliving.

Rhaener was not lucid enough to wake himself up so he just endured the nightmares of his failures. The blood, the pain, the death...every horrible detail. He screamed in his nightmares in hopes that he could stop the tragedies but it was never successful.

He tossed and turned between the screams and cries. He knocked the blankets off the bed at some point and his hand laid on left side where he had once been stabbed. Clearly that is what had happened during that time in his sleep.

Shayleigh

Her nightmares were always the same, hardly ever any difference in them throughout the years. Always a playback to hearing her mothers screams and walking in on the gruesome scene. Yet, as her mind played through it, it was beginning to be intertwined with something else.. Women screaming, not just her mothers scream. She could see the faces of these women, feel the fear and the pain. No, this was not hers and yet she began to run through them, trying to get away from all the horrible scenes going on right in front of her.

Screams more lucid than what they were in the nightmares, she thought at first that they were hers until she jumped awake clutching her chest, breathing heavily as his scream echoed through the halls. His screams had jilted her awake, panic instantly taking over any thoughts she was trying to gather. The blanket was tossed aside as she moved from the bed and was out the door as soon as she’d swung it open. Bare feet ran down the hall unsure where his room was until she heard him again.

Shay pushed his door open taking but a few moments to take in what was happening, she had yet to fully grasp everything having been awoken so abruptly. His blankets were currently on the floor, he was still tossing and turning with a pained look and holding his side. It was the side she remembered seeing him being stabbed in one of the memories he’d shared with her. His face had a sheen on it, not only from sweat but the tears that fell freely. It made her heart drop seeing him in such a state, continuous pain that he could not escape from, something she was all too familiar with.

The blankets were gathered and placed back on the bed, lifting them so that they covered him well enough. Then she did something that surprised even herself. She lifted one leg, then the other and crawled into his bed. He was already in a position that she could easily curl into him, pressing against his back as she let her arms wrap around him, one over his abdomen and the other under his neck. She pulled him tightly to her hoping it would help ease the nightmares and whispered. “You’re ok.. It’s just a nightmare Rhaener, push it away.. I’m here..” The arm that was around his abdomen lifted only long enough to move his hair out of his face and neck before finding its way back around him. “I’m here.. It can't hurt you anymore. “ Said she lay there trying to chase off his nightmares and lull him into a better sleep.

Rhaener Nadir

It was weird that Rhaener did not consciously notice the new addition in his bed but he knew she was there somehow. Maybe it was her touch or her words but he relaxed into her hold and the nightmares finally dissipated.

All the horrors were chased away by the beautiful woman who was his future.

He did not wake up until the sun was streaming through his curtains. Rhaener felt something touching him before he opened his eyes to see an arm draped around him. For the first time in forever, he closed his eyes again and fell back to sleep. He was far too comfortable and at peace to Shay up yet.

It was probably only an hour or so later that he woke again. He very slowly turned over so he was facing Shay before gently placing her hand against his chest. Her curls were askew but it, honestly, just made her look even more beautiful. She was real and that was a stark contrast to many of the fae.

"Shay...are you awake?" He asked softly.

Shayleigh