Private Tales The Spy & The Smuggler

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
The hurt in his eyes spoke clearly as he explained the situation with this, Sadie. He had loved her, there was no doubt about that, she had felt that love. It was better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. Yet, for Shay, love was something she’d kept herself away from, love was something she feared.. Even if deep down she wished for it. The only thing love was good for was heartache and death. Neither of which she wanted.

Dirty, dried bloodied fingers came to the fold of the dress, pulling it tighter around her when she felt his eyes on her. She wouldn’t dare meet his gaze. There was definitely a war going on and at this point, she wasn’t sure if she was winning or losing.

She did find herself looking at him when he spoke her name.. There was something about the way he said it that made it sound different, beautiful.. Causing slight chills to run up her spine.

“The Vitae court needs to know that your intentions are in the right place when it comes to running the smuggling ring before they’ll even consider helping you.” Straight to the point, no beating around the bush. “My abilities not only allow me to see your memories but feel the same emotions you did. Actions, or in this case, feelings speak louder than words. Anyone can say what someone wants to hear all day but be lying through their teeth with a smile on their face.”

Rhaener Nadir

Rhaener was still a big weirded out by the whole going into his mind thing.

"You know fae can't lie right?" He asked with that single raised brow again. They couldn't like but they had ways around it, of course. He would be lying if he said he didn't enjoy messing with her a little to see if she got flustered.

"Anyways, I have over five hundred years of trips so where would you like to start?"

His voice was matter of fact as he leaned forward with his forearms resting on his thighs.

Shayleigh

Shay just looked at him blankly for a few seconds.. Did she know this?! Certainly she had too, right!? Was she so far out of it that she couldn’t remember something so simple? “That might be true but there is always a way around it. So, what I do just solidifies it.” She’d go with that, it sounded good to her.

He’d been doing this longer then she’d been alive, made her feel like a Fae babe again. “I’m not sure I should go into your mind again if…” she paused and took a deep breath before shaking off that thought “Nevermind.. I uh, don’t need all the five hundred years of memories. Just a few should do, nothing more.” She resituated in the chair, straightening her back “Then I’ll be on my way and out of your hair..”

Shay didn’t have to close her eye’s to use any of her abilities but this time, she chose to. Chest rose as she took another deep breath before letting a tendril out and right into his mind again. Only, this time instead of searching, she would wait and see if he would bring up certain memories on his own. If he didn’t she’d start the search again.

Rhaener Nadir

Rhaener felt that tingling again and a small ahh came from his lips. Someone hadn't been watching him in the traditional sense but she had been watching him. It was nice to know that he could feel when someone entered his mind.

He would start with something nice before he traumatized Shayleigh some.

He started with the memory of his meeting with Shyreen Lusce and how he thought she was insane. That changed into his first meeting with Ceilidh Trahan where he told her she was insane too. She asked him to give her a week to show him the results of some women she was able to save already. He gave her that week and he never looked back.

The next memory he pulled up was of a female who had clearly been beat and she looked so tired. He let the entirety of trip go through his mind until he passed her off to Ceilidh's man to finidh the trip.

The third memory was of a fae woman and a baby wrapped in her arms. The same thing happened as before. He delivered the two fae and returned home.

He gave her a few more for good measure before pulling up the worst one.

It was night and Lilla had just made it to their meeting spot. She was a petite blonde with brilliant green eyes. She assured him that she had followed his instructions and she had not been followed. He had never had issues before so they started the trip. They were almost to the ley when three males attacked them. The order was not to bring Lilla home. It was to kill her and her lover. Leave the both in the woods for someone to find while her husband mourned.

They killed her and they thought they had killed Rhaener but they had just left him for dead. It took him almost a complete day to heal and another day to make his way to the Winter Court where he brought Lilla to Ceilidh for a proper burial.

Shayleigh would feel the pain from the attack, the pain from the healing, and the pain from losing Lilla. He still had not forgiven himself. The what if's started to flow into his mind and he shut down the memory quickly.

There were tears in his grey eyes as he opened them to look at Shayleigh once more.

Shayleigh

• Cry
Reactions: Shayleigh
She was glad that Rhaener chose what to show her, took a lot less time then it would have if she’d gone digging. The first memory seemed to be when he first got pulled into the ring, their first meetings. This one brought a few audible chuckles from her as she watched everything play out. That week he’d given her flashed before her eyes and by the end of it, she felt that he finally felt as if he had a true purpose, to help right some wrong in the world and that caused the corners of her mouth to curl.

The second was of him transporting a woman who had been beaten, not just a couple times but seemed to be a regular recurrence. This poor woman looked as if she was ready to just give up, allow the man who did this to just end it and take her life. Shay felt Rhaener, he was pissed but sad, always on guard until he was able to pass her off safely.

The next was a woman with a small babe, this one caused Shay to tear up. Feeling his feelings, seeing how scared this woman was, not only for herself but for the baby as well. Thankfully, he was able to get them to safety as well and it felt like a heavy burden had been lifted off his shoulders at the passing.

He was giving her more than she really needed but she allowed it, the more the better and it gave her hope as she watched all these women & children be able to find their freedom again, to start over. To live a life they should, instead of one they were forced too. It all started to remind her of when she ran..

The next one seemed heavy, almost as if he had been reluctant to share it but share it he did. She watched as they met up, passed a few words before heading off like he always did. However, everything changed in a matter of seconds. Men seemed to come out of nowhere, ambushing them both. An audible gasp escaped her parted lips as she not only watched them kill the woman but felt as they tried to do so to Rhaener. Hearing the woman’s painful, heart wrenching screams had her bringing her slightly bloodied hands up to her ears, as if she could keep herself from hearing it.

Flashes of her own memory of seeing her father swinging an ax down at her mother, hearing her own mothers screams as the ax hit its target and blood began to splatter. With the cross of memories and the fact that she was in his mind when this happened, meant there was a good chance he would have seen it, even if for just a few split seconds before she pushed it away.. His memory of this brutal day triggered one of her own and that was..new.. to her.

Of course, that meant as soon as she pushed her own away she was back in his. Many think her abilities were amazing and that there must not be too many cons to having them. Oh were they wrong.. Using them for a lengthy amount of time left her mentally and physically exhausted, which also meant extremely vulnerable. She could also feel everything the person was feeling at the time, so if they were getting hurt or in this case, trying to be killed, she felt every bit of it. That also meant her body would start to think that it was truly going through this, causing internal issues at times.

Her breathing was shaky, she grunted and groaned softly as his own turmoil played out, doing her best to keep from screaming out as he was left for dead..Tears were already falling out of those closed eyes and it took all she had to break the connection just as he’d passed the woman's body off, she couldn’t take anymore, her body couldn’t take anymore.

Amber eyes opened to him looking at her, tears threatening his eyes as well. A warm trickle began to fall from her nose, lifting a hand to wipe the blood away, only to cause it to smear on her face. Her body was protesting what it had just felt causing some problems of its own as it began to shake. She didn’t blame him, he had no idea how much she could actually feel or the fact that it would end up feeling as if it was happening to her at that moment.

“It wasn’t your fault..” She said through tears..”Rhaener..” she said softly “I’m so sorry this happened..” and likely wasn’t the last time it had..She wrapped her arms around her body as she shook. “Thank you.. For sharing those.. I can’t speak for Vitae but I’m positive that they will be willing to help anyway they can..” Or… she could. There was more to her abilities than just reading minds. If found, she could make them see things, believe something else entirely. Stop it before it gets violent. IF their minds were open, that is.

Rhaener Nadir

In Rhaener's heart he knew it was not his fault but his mind had different ideas. His mind liked to make him believe that he could have done something to change the outcome. Lilla was the first but she was not the last. Rhaener had lost two other women in his time as a smuggler.

He brought his mind back to the present as the woman in front of him was shaking. Shayleigh had experienced it all and he felt terrible now for purposely picking that memory. It was an excellent memory to show his dedication to the cause but he had chosen it as a bit of payback for being in his mind earlier and stalking him.

He rose from his chair and crossed the short distance to hers. Rhaener hesitated for only a moment before he kneeled on the floor in front of his mate. Both knees were on the floor as he literally and figuratively lowered himself to be below her. He reached out and gently took her hands in his. He, of course, left the ability for her to take them back.

"I am so sorry, I did not realize how much you felt from the memories of others," he looked at her with pleading in his eyes.

Shayleigh

• Aww
Shay watched him carefully as he rose from his chair and closed the small distance between them. She said not a word as he took to kneeling in front of her taking those shaky hands into his. His were warm, welcoming and dare she say had a calming effect on her own, which was odd to her. She should have withdrawn them the moment they were in his, yet, she didn’t. Another mistake on her part.

His words were gentle and which only matched the look he had in his eyes.. She felt horrible that he was the one apologizing at the moment when he was that one that actually had to go through that nightmare. She only re-lived it through him, he shouldn’t be there on his knees apologizing. She knew he had no idea what it was she could feel and what she couldn’t.

His eyes..She was lost in them for a brief moment, those feelings she started to feel prior boiling up again and Shay had to pry her own away from his again.. The fact that he had not mentioned seeing a part of her own memory that was triggered by his own meant, to her, that he likely hadn’t seen it.. Thankfully, or maybe not.. After pulling her eye’s away from his, shay pulled her hands out on his own gently and did her best to stand trembling legs.

“You have nothing to apologize for Rhaener, you gave me what I requested and that is it.. Unfortunately, that also means that I feel exactly what the other feels during that memory, as if it’s happening to me at that very moment but you didn’t know this, I’ll be fine.. Always am.” Said as she tried to move away from her chair and where he knelt, getting just a few steps away before she had to take hold of the chair itself. She just needed a moment or two and she’d be okay.. Right?

She must look a mess, Shay thought to herself. Bloody neck, back and now that smear from her nose to her cheek, what a lovely sight indeed. She decided she’d try and distract him from her current state by talking about the ring and Vitae’s involvement.. Maybe it would work? “What exactly are you looking for in Vitaes help with the ring?” Said and a nice deep breath taken as she kept hold of that chair “You do incredible work Rhaener, you have saved so many lives.. You should be proud of that.. If I can help, in any way, let me know.” Shay spewed that last part out without even thinking it over and just about bit her own tongue after the fact.

Rhaener Nadir

Rhaener was by her side in an instant as he prepared to catch her if she fell. She looked terrible and he made the decision then that she would not be leaving his home until she was well enough.

“I need a new place to bring the women. Lady Trahan is pregnant and moving to Dusk. She can no longer run the operation out of Winter,” Rhaener answered honestly.

“Right now you can help by letting me run you a bath and allowing me to put you in one of the guest rooms for at least the night,” he told Shayleigh with every amount of seriousness he had in him.

He tentatively put a hand on her elbow to help steady her and start to guide her out of the room.

“Please allow me to do this for you,” he followed up.

Shayleigh

• Aww
“Smart of her to do so, the risk is too much while carrying a babe. Especially considering how rare it is to be carrying one in the first place.” From what she could remember her mother telling her anyway. There were only certain times a Fae could conceive, even then it is rare. “I’m sure they’ll want to hear this request from you, make sure I’m there when you do” Granted by then she’d have given the brothers the information they sought for but having another person back you up on such a subject was always helpful to get the point across.

As much as she wanted to say no, that she could manage just fine, she didn’t. Her body ached, her head hurt and she was just a mess. All of which were her fault, at least to her. His tone was so sincere when he pleaded with her to allow him to do this, amber eyes met his again as she nodded softly. “Just the night” By morning she’d likely be on her way back to Vitae court.

Shay allowed Rhaener to guide her to wherever he planned to let her stay, the thought of a warm bath sounded absolutely lovely at the moment. Ease her muscles and her mind from all the frantic thoughts it’s been dumped into.

Rhaener Nadir

"I will, Shayleigh," Rhaener responded to her telling him to make sure she was there. He had every intention of accompanying her back to the Vitae Court. He would bring that up tomorrow though. He was not going to push his luck tonight.

Shayleigh agreeing to his offer caused him to let a soft sigh of relief. He would not have her death on his conscious if she did not make it home tonight. She would be safe here with him.

He guided her across the hall and opened the door to allow entry. The guest room was sparsely furnished since this was not his main home and he was not really one to have guests here. He had housed a few of the women for a few days before so he made sure it was always prepared just in case. There was a four poster bed with fluffy pillows and a dark blue blanket against one wall and a wardrobe against the other. There was also a beautiful lace divider that hid the tub behind it.

After depositing the female on the edge of the bed, he set to work getting the bath ready for her. He did keep a pixie here in his employ to keep the place up when he was gone and she was quick to help him. Once it was done and there was steam rising from the bath, he stepped out from behind the divider and smiled at Shayleigh.

"Alright, there is a hot bath run and Seraphina brought some towels up. In the wardrobe there should be some clothing that will fit you," he paused for a moment, "if nothing fits then I can get something for you. I try to keep a wide range of sizes because I do not know when I will have to house one of the women here for a bit."

He looked around and could not think of anything else to add so he just nodded and headed to the door. He opened it and started to step out but stopped to add, "I will be in the study down the hall for a bit if you need me."

With that said, he left her to her bath and privacy.

Shayleigh

If only she knew what was going on in his head at this moment.. or more so.. these moments. How easy it would be to plunge in there and find out and yet, she wouldn't. Besides, he now knew what it felt like to have her enter his mind and there would be no hiding it or trying to do so all sneaky like. It was his sigh that made her wonder what all he'd been thinking about. It wasn't the type of sigh someone does when annoyed, rather the type that told her that he'd been holding his breath about something and could finally take one.

He was slow with each step, his hand gentle on her elbow as If he was scared he'd place too much pressure on it, which he wouldn't. She wouldn't break, it would take a lot for her to do so, even if she was on the verge of such. However, she hated the fact that he had to help her,l. Hated that she'd allowed his memories to cause such havoc on her body instead of just cutting it off early. Nonetheless, it happened and this was the price she'd pay for it.

They both paused at the door only briefly as he opened it. Stepping inside she let her amber eyes look around the room, sue would have been fine with a blanket and the floor. Having slept many many nights outside in the grass, a bed was almost foreign to her but oh so comfortable. She sat upon the bed and it was all she could do to not allow her body to just fall back and take in all the comforts the bed had to offer. Instead, fingers wrapped around one of the four posts as she took to leaning against it. Amber's followed him as he disappeared behind the lace divider, the sound of water following soon after. Shay blinked a few times, had that been a pixie she'd seen?!

It was his voice that brought her back from that thought as her head quickly lifted to him and the smile he gave. Seraphina, so she DID see a pixie and wasn't losing her mind..yet. "I'm sure something will fit, no need it making you get something for me if nothing does. I'll make whatever I need to work, it will be fine." It did her heart some good to hear that he would bring some of the women here, give them time to rest if they needed. Shay watched as he left but paused at the door,l a nod to what he had to say before "Rhaener.. Thank you." She said before she pulled herself up from the bed and started to make her way to the bathing room.

Once she was sure he'd left, she untied the dress and let it slip free. One leg, then the next found the water before letting her entire body submerge as she let out a concent sigh. The water was hot, just how she liked it. Hot enough to get to work on those muscles right away.

Shay had soaked in the bath for a good while, then washed up, leaving no indication that anything had happened. Fingers reached for the towel as she stepped out of the tub and wrapped it around her body, hair still dripping as she walked out of the bathing room and to the wardrobe. She looked through the selection, trying to not pick anything that looked too expensive, something simple would do. Eyes fell on a black dress, the fabric silky soft in her hands, yet the fabric at the sleeves was different, sheer almost. This still seemed.. too much.. but was the only one that looked least expensive. It took her a minute to get the dress on, shoulders bare but the sheer sleeves cascading down to her wrist. The top was cut modestly, thankfully, leaving just the top of her bosom visable and the bottom hem just barely touched the floor. It seemed to fit her like a glove, maybe a bit too long but she could handle that.

Bare feet were soon padding down the hallway to the study he said he'd be in. Fingers combing through her long wet curls as she entered the room and cleared her throat before speaking. "Thank you again. For the bath, the room for the night.. for letting me see what I needed too."

Rhaener Nadir

Rhaener was sitting on the couch near the warm hearth reading when he heard the footsteps of his houseguest. He closed the book and set it on the table that sat between the two couches. He stood as she entered and cleared her throat.

The male felt like the whole world stopped as he looked at the beautiful woman in front of him. The dress did fit her perfectly and, honestly, it looked like it had been made for her. It did not even show much but it was extremely flattering. He wanted to tell her that she looked beautiful but he was afraid to.

"Thank you again. For the bath, the room for the night.. for letting me see what I needed too."

He just stared at her for another moment like a dumbass before he finally stammered out something.

"Uh...oh...of course. You are welcome. You are no shape to travel tonight and I have to go to Vitae anyway so I was hoping you would let me accompany you on your return journey."

He asked slowly so she did not think he was just trying to force himself on her. He really did need to go there and it was already on his agenda.

Shayleigh

She’d looked from Rhaener, to the couch he’d been sitting on, to the book he’d placed on the table. It had been years since she’d read a book or even had access to books, until recently. It left her wondering what it was that he’d been reading. Eye’s then moved to hearth, she could feel the ever so inviting warmth coming from it even at the doorway. Moving then back to Rhaener who stood there, looking at her. It made her pause and look down at herself, wondering if she was somehow wearing the dress wrong? Surely she wasn’t. Cheeks flushed when she looked back up to see his eyes still on her.

“I’m sure I could have handled it, I’ve managed worse.” She offered him a smile, fingers still working through wet hair as she took a few more steps in, unsure if she could or even if she should.. Then he mentioned traveling with her back to Vitae. “Oh..” Said softly “Um.. Sure.” Shay didn’t really have an idea of how she was going to get back. She had no coin to help her on her journey back and had thought about just walking and or shifting and running back.

Shay moved further into the room, finding herself standing in front of the hearth before sitting on the floor lifting her hands towards the fire. “If I’m interrupting your reading, tell me and I’ll take me leave. Just wanted to warm myself by the fire for a few moments, if that's ok?

Rhaener Nadir

Rhaener was pleased that Shayleigh agreed to him accompanying her. He did not want to leave her side. She may not have accepted the mating bond but it was still there. She was still his mate. Her followed her movements over to the fire and just smiled as her watched her in silence.

“If I’m interrupting your reading, tell me and I’ll take me leave. Just wanted to warm myself by the fire for a few moments, if that's ok?"

Rhaener let out a small chuckle before speaking. "Of course it is okay," he said and took his seat on the couch again.

"As for reading, I have read this book at least fifty times. It is a botany guide that my mother wrote before she died. She did all the drawings in here and it just makes me feel close to her whenever I miss her."

He was an only child. His parents were his best friends. He had lost them both at almost the same time and it still hurt. The Lusce's had been amazing but it would never be exactly the same.

"Do you like to read?"

Shayleigh

Of course it’s okay

Shay heard him say as ambers watched the flames dance within the hearth. He hadn’t said it, but she assumed that this was his home, which meant she needed to ask permission to do certain things in his home. A hand lifted to pull her hair over her left shoulder, fingers continuing their work on detangling the wet curls.

She listened to him explain what the book was, who had written it and how many times he’d read it. Which could explain why he’d read it so many times, she would have done the same if she had something like that of her mothers. Shay lifted her legs, bringing them so that her arms could rest on her knees just as she had when she’d shifted back awhile ago. She would have loved to have anything of her mothers, anything that could even slightly remind her of her.. But she had nothing, nothing at all.

His question pulled her from her thoughts as she turned her head to look at him sitting on the couch. “I did, I mean, I do.. Just haven’t in a long time.” Said as her eyes trailed back to the fire “When I was younger and lived at home with my parents, we had a decent library. My mother used to tell me that if we didn’t get a chance to travel the world, we could at least read about it.” That memory played back, blood everywhere, before she closed it instantly.

“I always wanted to see the world, more so after reading about it but..” she paused. “Who has time for that..” The years she spent hidden in the wilds could have been used doing just that but she feared her father finding her and thought it best she stay where she’d been safe for so long.

Rhaener Nadir

Rhaener watched Shayleigh run her fingers through her wet curls and he wondered if they were actually as soft as they looked. Hopefully he would find out someday.

"We do," he answered her. "We have all the time in the world, Shayleigh. We have such long lives that we can do everything we have every dreamed of," his voice was soft as he stood and walked over to a cabinet again the back wall.

"Would you like some wine?" Rhaener asked his guest.

"My library here is nothing compared to the one that my adopted family has. My home in Night Court has a small library but it is not big enough for all of my books..." His voice trailed off as she pulled a bottle of red wine from the cabinet along with two glasses.

"What do you like to do in your spare time?"

Shayleigh

We do

Shay tilted her head as it rested on her knees, cheek now pressed into it as he spoke. Such hope and promise behind his words and well, he’d probably already traveled the world a couple times over with how old he was compared to her. “But do we really?” She questioned him “When you’re employed by a court, it’s not like you can up and disappear for a few weeks, days even. Then there’s the cost of it all, which will take me a few years to even save up for.” His comment about having such long lives had her shaking her head softly. “A long life is never promised, it could end tomorrow for all I know.” Or by the hands of your mate..

Wine on a partially empty stomach, why the hell not. “I’d love some, thank you.” Might help her get some sleep tonight or end up spewing all her deepest darkest secrets, the fun part is not knowing which it would be.

“I haven’t had a library since I left home a few hundred years ago, any library is a good library.. Even if it holds just a couple books.“ Ambers watched him until he was out of her view. Her gaze turned back to the fire, watching the flames dance with one another as the sound of the glasses he took out clanged together. “How many homes do you have Rhaener?” He had this one or maybe he didn’t own this one? Then one in the night court, where else?

“I’ve yet to step foot into night court, not sure I wish too from everything I’ve heard about it.” So bold in speaking such considering he was High Lord of the night court. Though he was different, he had to be if he was willing to help all those women and children. “But I’m sure it's bound to happen at some point with my position with the Vitae Court.”

His question had her pausing for the longest time, realizing she didn’t really have any true answers to this question. All Shay had for the longest time was time, yet that time was used staying hidden in the wilds where she’d made herself a little home. “Well, Um. Other than reading, I used to paint a lot but that too I haven't done since I left home. Until recently I didn’t do much live in the wilds, scavenge when need be, dance by myself in a field of wildflowers” She laughed at admitting that, not even sure why she had “Spending time outside in the quiet of a forest, under the moonlight..but that’s not really anything fun to do.” She laughed again, realizing how absolutely ridiculous she sounded. Sadly, there hadn't been a lot she had been able to do when she became a recluse within the wilds.

Rhaener Nadir

Rhaener could not help but look at Shayleigh like she was insane. Time and money were things that the fae did not worry about...yet...here she was worrying about them both.

"Shay," he said tentatively trying out only the first part of her name. "How old are you?" It was not something that had even crossed his mind until now. She had to be young if vacations and money were an issue. Did fate just drop a baby in his lap? That would be just wonderful. The scandal it would cause.

He poured her some wine as she spoke about the library she had once and then asked how many homes he owned. He let out a small chuckle as he walked back over to the fire and handed her the half full wine glass.

"I own three," he said with a smile. "This one, my flat in the Night Court, and one in Dawn Court. That one belonged to my father before he moved to the Night Court and I just cannot bare to sell it."

Rhaener took a sip from his glass and took a seat on the couch again. He could not help but cringe when she mentioned how she did not want to visit his home Court and, honestly, he could not blame her.

"You do not want to visit it, Shay. You are much to kind for that place," he smiled as he thought about the Lusce sisters and how they were also too kind for that place. One day he would get them out. One day.

"I think dancing in a field of wildflowers and relaxing in the quiet forest sound lovely," he told her as he could tell she was laughing out of the awkwardness of her activities in the real world.

Shayleigh

Thank the gods Shay hadn’t been looking at him when he looked at her like that or she’d have asked him if he truly wanted to see insane.

Shay

She couldn’t explain why hearing him say her name like that brought a small inkling of a smile to her face. That, of course, left the moment he asked her how old she was.. “What does that have to do with anything?” She asked “I’m 437 years old.” She admitted. Then it dawned on her. “Wait, is this about the whole traveling thing? You do realize that there are some fae that don’t have the means to travel?” Or maybe it was just her. “The only coin I had to my name was in a pouch that is now either still in the pile of clothing back where I shifted or in someone else's hands”.

Shay turned just enough that she was now angled to the fire and the couch, just in time to take the wine. The rim met her lips soon thereafter, choking on her first sip as he answered her question.. Three?!. Finally swallowing the wine, she looked up at him. “Three?! Do you plan on owning anymore? Perhaps one in every court?!” She joked, but was she really?

She noticed the look he had when she mentioned not wanting to visit the night court and felt the need to correct herself. “I’m sure the Night Court is beautiful, in its own way. But from what I’ve heard about it, it is not a safe place for women. I’d gladly visit if it were.” She chuckled then at his comment about her being too kind for the Night Court “I’m not always kind, Rhaener, I can hold my own when need be. Besides, as I mentioned before, I will likely end up there at some point due to the Vitae Court.”

“It is lovely.. But at the same time, it’s all I’ve known for many many years.”
She sighed before taking another sip, the wine was delicious, so much so that she knew she should be careful with it and not drink it too fast. “What is it you like to do Rhaener? I'm sure yours is far more exciting then mine”

Rhaener Nadir

437 years old...fuck.

Fate had sent him barely an adult in the eyes of the fae and here he was over three millennia in age. She had not even hit one yet. She must think he was a rich, pretentious prick now because he had so much longer to gather money plus the inheritance he had been left when his parents died.

"Shay...I...I did not mean to sound like an asshole. I just assumed that you were older and had many years to squirrel away money like I have..." He ran his free hand through his dark hair as he tried to make the situation better.

"Yes, three, but now I feel like a dick even mentioning it," Rhaener was not really helping himself at this point. Gods, he sucked at this.

A huff escaped him at her assurance that she was not always kind. "Being kind and holding your own do not go hand in hand," he commented. She could be kind and slit a mans throat for threatening her and he would not think her any less kind than before.

Actually...he would find it pretty sexy. Fuck. He was trying to be good here.

His mind came back to the present at her next question. What did he like to do?

"I am making the trip from Night to Winter at least four times a week so it does not leave time for many hobbies. When I am home, I enjoy reading," he offered with a shrug. "I just realized that I am incredibly boring and old," a small chuckle followed the words.

Shayleigh

Shay could see the flurry of emotions as they presented themselves as she peeked over the rim of her glass at him, all because of her age? Why? Taking another sip of the wine before she brought it down to set next to her on the floor. “An asshole? No but I do think that you should stop assuming that other fae are as well off as you are. You’re a high lord for fucks sake, I’m simply a pennyless woman who, until recently, lived by herself in the Ixchel Wilds” Nothing like blurting out your history for no damn reason. She blamed the wine, though the likelihood of it already affecting her was slim. So, why then?

“Why feel like a dick when I’m the one that asked?” She questioned, hand searching for the glass of wine she’d sat down until her fingers wrapped around it and brought it to meet her lips again. “At least you know you have a pick of places to stay, should you need them or more when you need them” She sighed as she let her legs stretch out in front of her, bare feet almost reaching the couch. Then twisted so that he hip pressed against the floor as she laid on her side facing him. Arm lifted to allow her elbow to sit upon the floor as her chin rested on the palm of her hand.

“I own no property, barely have anything I can call my own. My house, if you could even call it that, was made by me out in the wilds from thick vines, old bark, anything I could find that made it sturdy enough for some sort of safety. It works well enough.” She had no family left, that she knew of anyway. Then it hit her as she stared blankly for a moment.. IF they were mates then they were somehow equals BUT they weren’t. They seemed to be complete opposites, she was in no way his equal, for from it. So then, how could they be? Shay shook her head, trying to push that thought aside.

“How do they not go hand in hand? I think they do, actually, a very dangerous combination but suited well together.” With her abilities there were plenty of other ways she could take care of a bad situation prior to physical violence but she was not opposed to violence in the least when it was needed.

She hadn’t realized that what he did took up so much of this time, nor that it was so often. His chuckle brought a small smile fourth and fuck if she knew why, of course once she noticed it she cursed herself and let it fade. “Boring? No, I’d say that’s me, not you. How old is old Rhaener?” The glass was lifted, sipped and poof gone. Oops. “What would you do if you had the time to do it?”

Rhaener Nadir

"I am a High Lord who is incredibly old and has had many years to save money," Rhaener said with a little clip in his voice.

As Shayleigh continued to speak, he felt even more like an asshole. He was rich and had three houses while she was basically homeless. The male studied her as she readjusted on the floor and he wanted nothing more than to go hold her.

Stop it, Rhaener. You barely know her and she barely likes you.

He quickly finished his glass of wine and closed his eyes. He was really failing at this...mate thing? Getting to know someone? Had he really been out of the game for so long? What game...he had never had to worry about getting a woman or even having to know them because they came to him. He wondered briefly how much research the little spy had done on him. Did she know about his womanizing ways of the past? The things he was ashamed of?

Rhaener looked down at her again when she asked her next question. He gave her a half smirk before speaking, "I meant that you can be kind and a killer. You do not have to be one or the other."

And then she asked the question he knew would come. She set his empty glass on the low table and sighed softly.

"I am over three millennia old, Shay," he said softly. Was he ashamed of his age? No. It was just such a huge difference between them.

Rhaener was pleased to see that she was not that far behind him in her wine. He would give it a few minutes before he offered more. In the meantime he would answer her last question.

"I would travel more with a woman I loved..."

Shayleigh

• Aww
“And yet, I bested an incredibly old high lord” Amber eyes glistened next to the firelight as she chuckled. Her cheeks were beginning to flush a rosy color, not so much because she was blushing but because of the wine. One sure way to know if she was feeling the effects of the alcohol. “At least, for a while that is. You would think you’d have some sort of protection on you or know of ways to keep your mind shut from those that can enter it so easily.” Or maybe he’d yet to come across someone like her?

Shay noticed the way he watched her as she resituated on the floor but said nothing about it. Would it have been so bad of her to try and sneak a peek into that mind of his, to know what he was thinking that very moment without having to ask it? Probably. So, neither would be done and she would just leave it alone and move on.

Yet, it would seem it was her turn to watch him as his eyes closed. She grazed over his tightly sculpted jawline, the way his hair fell on his face, how his lips appeared so inviting, to his arms down to his hands, strong hands, hands that could… His voice broke that thought, bringing her eyes back to his. Thankfully there was no way to determine if that blush that was still present was due to her thoughts or the alcohol, she of course would just blame the alcohol.

She didn’t know the full extent of his past or how promiscuous he had been with woman, only the bare minimum of what others had informed her of. She knew he had taken many lovers and at one point, it had meant nothing to him but a fun night, a needed release, nothing more. She was nothing compared to that, compared to all the beautiful women he’d been with. A simpleton like her? No..

“Three millenia..” Was breathed out, trying to wrap her mind around that. By the gods.. He’d lived longer than she ever thought she would. To imagine everything he’d been able to do, to see.. Multiply all the woman she imagined he’d been with by.. gods knows what.. She gulped.. Not only was she now just a simpleton to him but a very young one at that. Now she felt like.. shit.

“I can only assume that you’ve seen what this world has to offer many times over, what difference would it make to do again just with someone you loved? It wouldn’t be like seeing it for the first time, discovering new places for they likely wouldn’t be new to you.”

Rhaener Nadir

Rhaener gave her a look. That look. The look that said he did not appreciate her teasing especially about his abilities...or lack there of in this case. He was not really mad though. He was more embarrassed. Why would he have a shield on his mind? That seemed pointless until now.

He stood and grabbed his glass before stopping in front of her to get hers as well. If he was having a second glass then she was too. He took both back over to his little bar cabinet and smiled over at her as he poured.

“I can only assume that you’ve seen what this world has to offer many times over, what difference would it make to do again just with someone you loved? It wouldn’t be like seeing it for the first time, discovering new places for they likely wouldn’t be new to you.”

He had seen many things but not everything. He also thought it would be different to make those memories with the woman who held his heart.

"I have not seen everything, I do have a job." It was the truth, of course, but he had also spent many years being a drunken playboy after his parents deaths. He didn't travel much nor did he truly enjoy life then.

"You see them with new eyes, I would think. I am not sure...I have never been in love. I just remember," he stopped speaking and looked sad for a few moments as he started to walk back with the glasses of wine. "I remember how doing things with my parents and I would try to do those things again but they were not the same. The places were tainted. I want to replace those with good memories again..."

He handed her the glass and then took his seat again. "Sorry, I did not mean to bring down the mood."

Shayleigh

Thank the gods! She thought to herself as she let out the breath she’d been holding when she realized he’d looked at her while she was.. Well.. checking him out and he hadn’t even noticed. However that enjoyable feeling one gets after taking in something they liked seeing was quickly gone due to the look he was giving her. Oh, he was touchy on that subject, and didn't like a woman to best him.. A young woman at that. So much so that she couldn’t even joke with him about it, interesting.

Before she could say anything about it, not like she actually was, he had grabbed her empty glass and drifted over to refill them. Was he trying to get her drunk? It honestly wouldn’t take much considering she hadn’t had any type of alcohol while living in the wilds. It hadn’t been until she took to the Vitae court that she took to enjoying a glass of mead daily. Wine on the other hand, it was far too delicious and oh so had to say no too and well.. She was going to end up a little tipsy..

She was going to comment on him having a job, more so being as old as he was there was no way he had done nothing but work that entire time. Of course, that took her thoughts back to what others had mentioned about him.. He got around, a lot or used too. But he continued on before she commented on it.

Brows furrowed as she watched him turn around, the look on his face was one she was all to familiar with. “You’ve never been in love Rhaener? In all your years, you never found someone you loved, other then family of course” She didn’t know if asking such was going to far but the only way to find out was to just do it. Then he began to speak about his parents, leaving her own thoughts to wander back to her own. Before the incident her life was that closest she could imagine perfection being. A loving family, friends, a beautiful home with a large garden, a big library and this cute little nook to read in.

His offering of her glass had her chasing those thoughts away before lifting her hand to the glass, fingers wrapping around it and lightly grazing his hand on accident. “I understand.. I had a family once, I know the feeling behind certain things and places just not being the same no matter how much you try to make it seem as if it is.” Wine, she needed more wine.

Rhaener Nadir