Completed The Consequence of Treason

Talus slowly nodded.

He recognized that fire in his friends eyes. The look of wanting to overcome those who had kept them down. It was perhaps what kept every Dreadlord going. The idea that one day they could do as they pleased and bring forth whatever they wanted.

Hal wanted to be an Archon. He wanted to take his place among the greatest Dreadlords in the Vel Anir, but...Talus had no idea if that was what he wanted.

Ambition was the pride of Talus' mentor, everyone knew that. Selene Avar would burn entire cities if it meant taking the next step. Fen? Fen didn't particularly care about anything. As long as he was comfortable, as long as no one fucked with his games nothing mattered.

Talus felt oddly stuck. He didn't know what he wanted. What he needed to do. He wanted to be a Dreadlord, to take that freedom, but what came next? "One day."

He agreed quietly, then glanced over at his friend.

"Just..." His lips thinned. "Just be careful."

The road to the top of the mountain was paved with the corpses of those who had climbed before.

• Wonder
Reactions: Harry
"I wouldn't put her in danger," He quietly responded. The crane had all but completely melted in his palm. He let the remaining ice fall to the floor, then wiped his wet palm on the furniture.

"Everything I do is to protect her," And with that, he had nothing else to say on the matter.

He rose and strode across the room. Parting the curtains that hung over one of the windows, he observed the manor down the street. Perhaps just to get his mind off the topic. Everything seemed normal at the Oudin estate.

"We've very rarely spoken like this to each other."

• Popcorn
Reactions: Sierra and Talus
"Never had the freedom to." There was a slight hint of anger in his voice at that.

Before they had always had to at least appear as though they were competing. Something that the Proctors had wanted. Now that they both had their mentors that wasn't really much of a factor. Selene and Fen cared about one another as much as a Tree and a Dragon.

He frowned slightly.

"I think..." Talus watched as his fingers curled into a fist. "I think I could kill some of the Proctors now."

The thought was one that he'd had for weeks. "Fen made me see...most of them are rejects. Men who couldn't hack it, Dreadlords who didn't have the stomach for war...so they preyed on kids."

Anger now filtered his tone.

"I don't think they could stop me." Since his journey with Finn Talus had felt stronger. His lessons with Fen only amplifying that. Explaining it would have been hard, but his magic didn't weight on him as much anymore, and...and there were things he could not do before.

Things he was almost eager to test.

• Sip
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Harry and Sierra
He chuckled and looked back at Talus, letting the curtain fall back over the window.

"You could pay Proctor Felwin a visit, huh? Wouldn't lose to him now." Talus' thoughts were dangerous. Rejects or not, Proctors were still Dreadlords. Even the apprentices were lower than the rejects. It made killing Proctor Oudin a particularly difficult task for Hal; to make it appear as a suicide over an actual killing. Maybe he would tell Talus about it one day.

"We only feared them because we didn't know anything else," He shook his head, "I don't fear them now. All I do is complete missions. There is no rest in between. I don't ever see my mentor. Just one mission after another."

His body showed it. Scars even newer than the ones Luther had left on him riddled every bit of exposed skin on him. Many were small specks of pink here and there. The largest of the scars were under his clothes.

"You're my brother, Talus." Should the younger apprentice ever need it, Hal would be there.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Talus
Talus nodded. "And you, mine."

He was not so foolish as to risk everything by going after the Proctors. He knew that even if he killed half a dozen of them he would still end up in the same grave. Rebellion was not tolerated, not by anyone in Vel Anir.

Silence fell onto the room again, one that was only broken some time later as Talus broached a subject he knew Hal wouldn't like.

"Those missions of yours..." The younger Apprentice said quietly. "Do you know what they're for?"

He doubted it. From what Talus understood of Selene she was not exactly trusting.

Fen had a habit of explaining the point of every mission he was sent on. They were few and far in between, but his Mentor always wanted to make sure that Talus understood why it was important to do what he was doing.

More often than not that reason turned out to be. 'I owe someone a favor', or 'Now they'll owe me a favor', but it was still better than nothing. "I've heard...rumors about your mentor."

• Thoughtful
The apprentice's brows tightly knit together, "No. I always figured she was... I don't know, testing me?"

Hal's lips pressed into a tight line. He was rarely told a thing. Almost every mission has been delivered via courier or pigeon. He never knew exactly who it was he had to kill, but he did so dutifully. It was clear that the topic unsettled him; Hal was pacing by the window.

He shook his head, dismissing the thoughts. "Rumors often have a foundation of truth, however weak it may be."

"I don't know the woman, I can't speak on her. What I do know is that she's dangerous."

He stopped pacing, seemingly regaining some composure. "It's too late for second thoughts."

It was impossible for him to escape her grasp the moment Yves had been killed.

• Sip
Fen had told him that secrets were often far more dangerous than any knife.

Talus had thought that saying go be stupid at the time. A secret could hardly stab you in the back or slit your throat, but watching his friend pace back and forth with his hairs standing up on his neck he could see why the expression made sense. His own mentor was apparently slowly driving him insane.

A frown tugged at his lips. He felt an odd pang of…sympathy for his friends. Their experiences since leaving the Academy had been profoundly different, and it was clear that though Hal was garnering far more respect from the people around them, he was also far more vulnerable. Talus briefly wondered how he would confront such a thing. Would he just keep going? Or would he refuse?

Lips thinned. "Maybe you should just ask her."

The suggestion probably seemed stupid, but it was also logical. What would Selene do if Hal asked a question or two? By now he must have proven himself useful, so she wouldn't just kill him. Hell, she might even explain herself a bit.

"I mean, if we get something good here…" He shrugged. "Should earn you a bit of insight."

Talus had no idea if what he said was true, but it seemed logical to him. Fen hadnt exactly been what he'd expected out of a Mentor, but the man had offered him a great deal of insight into how Dreadlords worked. Trust was short at every corner for people like them, and the higher your rank the less trust there was.

The fact of the matter was that Hal was likely one of the few people Selene could actually rely on.

He frowned at that thought, realizing that perhaps Fen was teaching Talus more than he realized.

• Thoughtful
The sheer simplicity of Talus’ suggestion stunned Hal into silence. Merely asking for the truth wasn’t something he’d seriously considered. But, thinking of it now, Hal realized the worst that would happen is either outright denial or he would be lied to. Either would be inconsequential. Or so he thought.

“Hrm,” He grumbled in thought, “I guess it is unlike me to overthink things.”

He’d waited for Selene to approach him, and never considered doing so himself towards her. He sat again and shifted his thoughts from his mentor to the task at hand. What he was most curious of was exactly how House Oudin was supporting the Underground. How much did they know? And was their son, Yves, a former Dreadlord, directly involved with the Underground?

• Thoughtful
Talus shrugged.

Things had not exactly been normal for him as of late. Fen wasn't what most people expected of a Dreadlord and he certainly wasn't what Talus expected of a Mentor. Perhaps that was turning out to be a good thing after all.

His lips thinned, and quietly he took out the dagger that Hal had given him. Fingers wrapped around it, unsheathing the blade.

"This is Elven." Talus commented with a frown.

He'd never much been one for studying the histories or...well pretty much anything, but he'd always made sure to know his enemies. The Elves were just that, and the runes of the weapon were unmistakable to him.

• Popcorn
Hal raised a brow. He shifted slightly to get a better look at it. Vel Anir did some trade with Fal'Addas, so it was far from uncommon to see Elven wares pass from one hand to the next in Anir Square. But, a weapon etched with Elven runes? The Anirian Guard would confiscate such a thing the moment they caught wind of it.

For it to be in the hands of a noble House provoked even more suspicion from Hal. Despite all of that, it was still a valuable thing to be in possession of.

"Well, don't say I've never given you anything," He said rather bluntly, "though, it is a curious thing. Affiliation with the Underground, and having possession of that?"

Who knows what other secrets House Oudin carried?

• Cthulhoo rage
"There is something rotten here." Talus said quietly, a breath filling his lungs as he tried to suss through his mind just what was going on.

Fingers gently pressed against the hilt of the weapon.

Just what was House Oudin involved in? What were they planning? Why in the hell had they sent their sun to the Dreadlords if they were...tratiors? Was it a distraction? Something to keep the eyes off of them? It was all more games.

Just like the rest of this city.

A sudden spike of rage struck Talus, and without thinking he kicked his leg out and sent the stool standing in front of him flying into the wall.

It shattered into a splinter of food and fabric. "I hate this city."

The words came at the volume of a whisper.

• Scared
"Right," Hal's voice trailed, "sorry for inviting you."

His friend's sudden outburst caused him to jolt forward. Hal slowly leaned back into the chair, eyeing Talus. He never took Talus to be the type to lash out, though the atmosphere within the Academy prevented him from really learning about his friend. Or, perhaps he was always like that, but just good at keeping it hidden from others. Hal was almost glad to see raw emotion come from him, even if it was anger.

"You may be fortunate and not have to see much of it in the future, given your mentor. Me, on the other hand..." What followed was a heavy sigh. He shook his head at nothing in particular, "Power and status will come under Selene. At what cost, I wonder?"

He began to sink into the chair, sitting rather low in it. That chair was more comfortable than anything else he'd ever rested on. It was especially far from the ragged cot that laid in the corner of his room at the Academy.

"We should think of rest soon. There will be all day tomorrow to think of what other plots House Oudin may be involved in."

• Popcorn
"I haven't needed sleep much as of late." Talus did not blame his friend for the choices he made.

Never had.

Their circumstances were not something that they could control, not really. Despite how far they'd come they were still pawns in the end. Even him.

Even with his mentor being better than most Talus knew that every actions he took was fitting a mold that some noble somewhere had made. It was an infuriating thought, but he knew it was truthful. Fingers tightened, his eyes clothing.

"We will see." He said quietly as Hal spoke of the plots of House Oudin. "We will see."

Fingers gripped the Elven dagger, knuckles white.

• Sip
Hal grunted in response. He, on the other hand, had been sleeping unusually well lately. Perhaps it's from the fatigue. Whatever the reason, the fact is that within the last months, he's been getting the best sleep of his life.

"Right, well I will be sleeping soon." He gave his friend a small smile, "Please don't break any more of House Virak's furniture."

He was sure that they wouldn't even bat an eye at a ruined stool. With a single word, another would take its place. For a single moment, he related to the heap of splintered wood and torn fabric.

Watching Talus grow frustrated sent a flash of guilt through Hal. He wondered if this mission wasn't simply Selene tying up loose ends, as she had with Yves. It was clear that there was something afoot, but any thoughts of Hal sharing the true nature of Proctor Oudin's death had subsided. At least it had for the moment. He did want to share it with his friend, but he'd missed the timing.

Another day.

Hal rose without a word and strode across the room to the single large mattress that sat slightly elevated at one side of the room. A square frame was built over the bed. Red curtains hung from it. Hal parted one of the draping fabrics with a hand.

"Since you haven't needed much sleep as of late," He looked back to his friend, "then I will help myself."

With that, he crawled onto the mattress and let himself fall onto it with an audible flop.

• Thoughtful
He didn't reply that time. Instead he kicked up his feet on a nearby table, turning his head towards the window and observing the estate just across the street.

His fingers danced on the hilt of the Elven Knife.

Talus hadn't lined when he'd told Hal about his sleeping patterns. Rest had not come easily for him as of late, and sleep seemed less and less worth it. Despite that though he still felt fine. Something he'd noticed ever since his adventure beyond the spine.

Something had happened there, something with his magic he had not quite yet been able to identify. It bothered him, though not enough to speak of.

Not to anyone, even Fen.

His fingers tightened, and as the night passed by he let himself focus only on the mission.

• Thoughtful
It was the soundest night of sleep Hal’s ever gotten.

He didn’t wake with a single ache or any soreness. There wasn’t a slit across his or Talus’ throat either, so he was grateful for that. When he rose, he could see Talus through the thin curtains that fell around the bed.

Hal crawled out, rubbed his eyes, and stretched his limbs out. Only then did he remember why they were there.

His gaze fell onto Talus.

“I say we make our move when the sun falls. What say you?”

• Popcorn
He jerked his head in a nod. "Dusk."

True to his word Talus had not slept a single lick the night before. He had spent most of the time trying to figure out the Rune on the knife. It wasn't really all that important, but he'd had little else to occupy his time.

Eventually he had learned the meaning, though it didn't really make much sense.

"Do we go as bandits?" He asked. "Or disguise ourselves as agents of another House?"

The former would would likely be a harder sell if they were seen. After all they were in the middle of Vel Anir and banditry wasn't exactly common. The inspectors would likely wonder if someone had hired bandits to attack House Oudin, but...well in the end this wasn't his mission.

• Sip
"Either way, authorities will suspect it to be the doing of another House," His brows knit in thought. He knew not the current affairs and relationships between Houses. "Perhaps we present ourselves as agents belonging to House Pirian?"

House Oudin swore loyalty to House Pirian. If House Oudin were supporting the Underground of their own volition, it would do irreparable damage to whom they served. It would be a mess right in their own home, one they would clean themselves.

"We would only be in the guise of agents to gain entry into the manor. From there, we could easily create an opportunity for an audience with the House's Patriarch."

He folded his arms across his chest, "Within the confines of a room, I could easily freeze any inside. It would be death in a mere blink."

Hal looked at Talus. He had a basic idea of how his magic worked, though the technical details eluded him.

"Would your magic protect yourself from me?"

• Popcorn
It was a solid enough plan, and Talus had no doubt that Hal had the resources to let them pose as anyone they wanted. Hell they could probably appear to be part of House Oudins own Guard.

As long as they tried anyway.

The next question made him blink slightly. He and Hal had never fought one another on the tower. There had been small sparring matches, but none where either of them used their magic. He'd seen his friend use the ice before, to devastating effect in fact.

Lips thinned as he thought, and then he gave a slight nod. Talus remembered the ice in the jungle, when Hal had killed a dozen Elves and nearly his friends along with them. Talus had managed to move out of the way, and he'd been quite a bit weaker then. "I don't think it could touch me."

Magic was always strange when he phase walked.

With some experimentation he had learned of some effects that could rend into him even when he shifted, but he didn't think Hal's ice would. Not if he truly submersed himself as he had done on his adventure With Finn.

"Why?" He asked with a smile. "Thinking about not leaving any witnesses?"

The joke was a grim one, but they had both told it before to one another on previous missions.

• Dab
"Yes," Was all he said in response. Unlike Talus, he didn't wear a smile, though he understood the jest.

It would be simple to gather whatever was necessary to identify as agents of House Pirian. Though, Hal would have to spend most of the day preparing.

"Right, then," He clapped his hands together, "I'll go to gather what we need. It shouldn't be but a few hours. I trust you'll find something productive to occupy yourself with."

And with that, Hal exited the room.

_______
A few hours was correct. Hal returned well before dusk, giving them ample time to prepare and finalize the plan.

The door was pushed open with his foot. In his arms were two large sacks filled with the clothing necessary for their false identities.

"Hopefully they fit," He muttered, "It was all that House Virak could supply on such short notice."

• Thoughtful
Talus had been musing on the knife in his hand, playing with the balance of the blade, and most importantly figuring out how to kill Hal if it turned out his friend truly had not been joking.

It was a rather dark thing to think about, but...if it must be it must be. Talus didn't want to kill his friend, but if Hal attacked him he would not think twice about it. He hoped that his friend had not become too much like his Mentor in such short a time.

The idea concerned him. As odd as that seemed. "It should be fine."

Talus said as he grabbed the bag Hal offered him.

Within just a short few moments the Apprentice dressed himself. His new clothes were not the dark leathers of the night before, but a color slashed uniform that represented the colors of House Pirian. It was...garish to say the least.

"How can these people wear this." He said with a frown, pulling at the slightly too tight collar.

• Dab
Hal had a much harder time fitting into his disguise. He thought he heard seams rip as his forced his arms through the sleeves.

The gaudy attire looked far more unnatural on Hal, who’s hair was unkempt and face held a collection of scars. When he did manage to squeeze into the clothes, he struggled to freely move.

He did not day a word, but instead held his arms open towards Talus, presenting himself to his friend.

“I look ridiculous.”

• Popcorn
"Yeah." Talus agreed. "Yeah you do."

A frown touched his lips, and he couldn't help but wonder if this was some sort of strategy by House Pirian to stop people from infiltrating their ranks. Why the hell else would anyone dress like this voluntarily. Fingers tightened and his head shook.

Whatever the reason, it would have to do. "At least we know no one would dress like this by choice."

That was something, wasn't it?

He scooped up the Elven dagger and tucked it into the back of his belt, deciding that even House Pirian would want to defend it's messages.

• Thoughtful
Hal surveyed the room once again, specifically the colors of House Virak that were implemented in the furnishings. He was grateful that his mentor belonged to a house that could be identified by a more subtle palette.

"Never again," Hal grumbled as his attention turned from their surroundings and back onto himself. He never cared much about his appearances, but their temporary attire made him quite uncomfortable. "We look more likely to gallivant than to assassinate."

He sighed and shook his head. At least the sun would drop soon. Hal left his weapon behind. His magic would be enough, and he didn't have anything small like the Elven dagger to conceal.

That reminded him- "Did you make sense of the runes?"

• Bless
"No." Talus said as he adjusted the tunic and tried to stand a bit straighter.

Talus had never really been the scholar among them. He could read, and he'd even gotten better at it under Fen, but...well that didn't make him a Librarian.

"It does something." He offered with a shrug. "But I'm not really sure what."

A shrug rolled over his shoulder. "Not important now. We'll figure it out after we take care of business."

Magic trinkets came second.