Fable - Ask The Away Team

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
He gave Peyton's hand one last comforting squeeze and then slipped his palm away from hers.

"Wouldn't dream of keeping you waiting." Lucius said as he stood and grabbed his sword. The curved blade was quickly slipped onto his belt, and he quickly glanced around as though expecting someone was watching them.

When he obviously found no one the young Pirate motioned that he was ready.

In the back of his mind he still half expected Andromeda to lead them into a dark alleyway to get robbed, but he suspected that may have just been paranoia.

Peyton looked down at her hand and up at Lucius with a soft frown in thanks. It reminded her that she wasn’t alone, nor should she have to worry about such things any longer. They were childhood fears that had lingered too long, and dry land made her edgy.

She gave a short nod and finished her drink “Aye. Thank you Ana.” She smiled warmly and lifted a hand briefly to Lucius’ shoulder as she stood.

The market was bustling, each trader yelling louder than the next one trying to win the battle of the barter over stalls of foods and spices, pottery and fine silks and linens. A riot of life and colour. She wandered past a few stacked crates of sweet breads and swiped one behind her, tore it in two and nudged at Lucius’ ribs to offer him the bigger half with a small smirk.

Ana led the pair through the market in a haphazard way familiar with most people who liked to avoid certain traders and businesses; past people she had had dealings with she didn't quite fancy getting reaquainted with as of yet. Even so she set a good pace and clearly knew where she was going. More than a few people gave a call and she waved in greeting to this person or that person. Ports might have been where she made her money but she still ensured she kept close ties with the community that had raised her.

"There she is," they came round the bend to where the market began to lead up a slope into the town proper. Kestra was a short lady with dark cropped hair and small harsh brown eyes that seemed to bore into every person who passed by. "She acts a bit like she has a stick up her arse but she's alright really - KESTRA!" Ana shouted over the din and raised her hands. The other woman looked over and even though the stern expression stayed she did at least raise a hand in semi greeting before Ana beelined her way over.

"Kestra, my friends here are looking to do a bit o' trade and I saids to them, Kestra's your girl!"

Lucius took the small piece of sweet bread and began to chew it much like an absent minded child might.

His steps followed closely along with Peyton's, the three moving quickly until Ana called out to this Kestrel in the distant crowd. The woman seemed to raise a brow as they headed towards her, and Lucius could see her slightly tense.

That wasn't too out of the ordinary, see two strangers and an acquaintance come towards you in a place like this and you were viable to get knifed soon.

Still, something felt...off.

He would have had a hard time saying what, but there was something in the air. A tension seemed to sit in the crowd, one that he hadn't noticed before. A frown touched his face, and as the three women began to speak Lucius peered around the market.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Andromeda
Peyton devoured the small piece sweet bread and licked the sugary residue from her fingertips. She’d always loved sweet things, though at sea and in Teth they weren’t particularly common. She enjoyed it whilst she could and decided she’d be taking more aboard the ship. She smiled as Lucius ate his, but it faltered a little as he seemed as tense as she had, and she curled her arm around the crook of his elbow.

As the woman was introduced, Peyton cast a disarmingly warm smile over her and reached her free hand toward her in greeting. “Peyton Sullivan, a pleasure to meet you, Captain.” she dipped her chin. “I won’t interrupt your day with talks of trade, it’s helpful enough to put a face to the name! I overheard a few men at the docks saying you’re headed for Vel Anir. I’m a navigator myself, I’ve been mapping out some new routes, perhaps I could share them with you.” she offered with the most genuine interest.

Kestra eyed up the two strangers with the air of distrust most Captains had mingled with the consideration this might be a good bit of business. She clasped the offered hand of Peyton firmly before replacing it in her pocket and searching for a smoke. In the end she found it behind her ear and lit it, her posture shifting slightly into a stance that said she could feel a bit of bartering coming on.

"Yeah I am," her eyes flicked to Ana who was busy perusing the wares on the stall - in particular a silk dress - and then returned her attention back to Peyton and the strange man. "I've got a navigator but thanks, unless you're interested in buying something or are looking for passage I can't help you."

• Wonder
Reactions: Lucius
Lucius stood quietly besides Peyton.

His role here wasn't really to speak, just to appear as though he were protecting Peyton. That wasn't hard to do of course, since he was genuinely doing it.

The stance he took was one of relaxed alertness. Hand rested on the hilt of his sabre as he half leaned back. A fool would have seen him as lazy, but anyone experienced would see his eyes were quickly darting through the lengths of the crowd.

It was there that he saw what he thought he'd felt.

A man just a few feet behind Captain Kestrel. Anyone else would have taken him as a simple sailor, likely gathering supplies, but Lucius saw something on his shoulder; A tattoo.

It was the shield of Vel Anir straddling over a wave with a single long saber above it. The Mark of the Anirian Corsairs. His fingers tightened, and he slowly leaned into Peyton and whispered to her. "I think she has Corsairs with her."

Which meant the goods she was carrying were likely more important than they'd first expected.

• Wonder
Reactions: Peyton
Peyton's smile never left her, though her jaw clenched slightly at the woman's answer, the woman had a stick so far up her arse Peyton was surprised her feet touched the ground. But she'd keep that thought to herself. "Ah, I see.. well I hope they're as good as I am." she mused with a quiet chuckle "But yes, perhaps I can send word to have my associate meet you in Vel Anir to discuss the trade deal, he's a rather wealthy merchant and has been looking to trade with Alliria for quiet some time. When do you plan on setting sail?" she smiled softly, her tone like warm honey.

She turned her head slightly to one side and offered no more than a subtle nod to Lucius as he passed on the warning. Her eyes quickly found the man he'd spotted but her gaze didn't linger long, nor did she change her expression in any way..

• Thoughtful
That seemed to catch her interest as she slowly lit her smoke and took a long drag. She tried to play it casually though by lifting one shoulder and dropping it in half a shrug.

"The next few days, we made good time here so we're in no rush," she blew the smoked out through her nostrils as she spoke, tapped the cigarette against her finger to get rid of the building up ash then took another drag. "What's your guys name, it'll be easier for me to simply look 'im up once we gets there."

Ana made her way back to the little group having ran her eye over everything on the stand and beyond. She looped her arm through Lucian's suddenly.

"Oh- there's just this dashing waistcoat that would look lovely on you," she didn't give him much choice in the matter. The Siren was a good actress - Kestra barely battered an eyelid - and as she pointed out the waistcoat and they were leaning close to one another she said in a soft voice that wouldn't carry. "There are two men who are watching us from the stall behind us."

• Wonder
"Waistcoat?" Lucius offered in false protest. "I'm really more of a plain shirt kind of guy, coats are for Captains."

He was rettiscent to remove himself from Peyton's side, but there was no way to protect her by just standing there. Part of him still didn't trust Ana, but he had to remind himself that they had asked her to bring them to this Kestrel person. "I'm far too humble for that nonsense, Darling."

When they stepped away and Lucius offered his false protest his gaze quickly caught onto one of the mirrors in the stall to watch the two men who were keeping a keen eye on them. "I know."

He whispered back to Ana.

"Anirian Corsairs." He had to keep himself from spotting the name. "Your friend might be more than you think."

Anirian Corsairs were part of the Navy. They were Marines in essence, incredibly skilled fighters and dangerous men. The Black Concordant had faced them only once, and that scrap had nearly seen a third of the crew now make it back. It was a dark memory.

Through the mirror he watched as one of the Corsairs began to move, circling through the market and passing behind Peyton to get a better eye on himself and Ana.

'The next few days' wasn't good enough. A time, that was all she was missing, all she needed to know, she knew the course they'd be taking, but they needed to time it right. They were going to need to hang offshore and wait unless Peyton could get a straight answer... "I see, wonderful." she smiled softly. "There's a storm building in the east, should be with us in two days.. Though I'm assuming your navigator already made you aware of that." she lifted her shoulders in a shrug of her own, maintaining a friendly nonchalance and she chuckled.

"His name is Mattheus Black, I'm sure you'll have no trouble in finding him there." she smiled, but she would of course, if she made it there, but she wouldn't if Peyton had anything to do with it.

Peyton turned to look at Ana as she heard her talking about waistcoats...She liked waistcoats. But her eyes fell to that hooked arm and her brow lifted ever-so-slightly. Lucius' response did trigger a small smirk however and she turned back to Kestra, catching a glimpse of the Corsairs.

"I apologise for disturbing your day, Captain. It was a pleasure to meet you, I do look forward to doing business with you!" she dipped her chin and took a step backwards from the woman.

• Wonder
Kestra kept chewing on her smoke and glaring at the girl in front of her, though at this point it could have just as likely have been the woman's resting face more than anything more. When the other woman seemed to back off she kept up her tense posture and blew out another stream of smoke from her nostrils before giving a wary smile that was far from friendly.

"Aye, I'm sure."

Ana held up a waistcoat and pressed it against him as if this were taking up all of her attention in the world. She tilted her head this way and that.

"Nonsense! I think you would look dashing in a little colour. A nice deep green like this just brings out that little hint of it in your eyes," she flashed him a wink and a flirtatious smile but with her hands against his shoulders he would probably feel the tenseness like a coiled spring. Her lips barely seemed to move as she set it down and picked up another one, this time in blue with light silver thread work. "Friend is a strong term Sugar, I just make it my business to know who's around," and what ships would be worth her sinking.

"Oh Peyton! Are we done discussing business?" she set down the waistcoat and then tilted her head, her eyes briefly taking in the man who had been watching herself and Lucius. "I just have this wonderful little cafe to show you both - bye Kestra!" she waved her hand casually before half turning to lead them away.

• Popcorn
  • Sip
Reactions: Peyton and Lucius
Lucius looked at the coat as though he were actually considering it, though he knew such a thing was far too ostentatious for him. Peyton might have looked good in it, hat too, but such wasn't for him.

Things like that we're harder to wash.

"Maybe next time." Lucius offered the merchant as Ana peeled away from the stall and they met back up with Peyton. It was clear that the discussion hadn't gone exactly the way they would have liked, but once he'd seen the Corsairs Lucius had figured that would be the case anyway.

Ana shouted about a cafe of some sort, and Lucius wrapped his arms around the two women to pull them close.

The movement seemed natural, though Lucius couldn't help but think he'd be slapped for it later. It was mostly done to make people think they were out carousing instead of talking. Mostly.

"Corsairs means Anirian Navy." He whispered. "Means a House is involved."

Though major or minor they didn't know. "This is gonna be risky."

He said quietly.

• Sip
Reactions: Peyton
She turned away from the woman and rolled her eyes, muttering a few choice words under her breath. She caught Lucius eyeing up a jacket and her lips twisted as she wandered back to the pair "That sounds lovely Ana!" she smiled warmly, and cast the Anirian man a look as she passed him.

She snaked her arm around Lucius' waist as she felt his arm around her, and her head tilted to see his other arm around Ana too, her lips twisting slightly. "Mh.. We'll need to know how many men she has aboard.. May not be worth the risk." she sighed. She really wanted that galleon. "Least the Captain will be happy about the cargo, has to be worth more than we thought.." her brow lifted, muttering quietly by Lucius' ear as though she was whispering something seductive and she chuckled.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Ana gave a light huff of a laugh when she felt his arm about her waist and she too, linked her arm around his just above Peytons. She was careful again to ensure her skin didn't touch the others. It was also pretty hard to ignore the whispers when they were all pressed this close but she tried to be polite; weren't her business. The look Peyton had given her had also made her feel distinctly uncomfortable. It wasn't an unusual look from a woman but for once Ana was undeserving of it.

She glanced in the mirror of another stall to see if the men were still following her but the crowds were thick behind them to make anyone out in the brief glimpse she got. After a bit longer down the main street she veered them off into a quieter side one where she broke out of Lucius' hold.

"Any other of my friends you want to poke around in the business of?" she raised a slim eyebrow.

• Sip
Lucius slipped his arm away from both Peyton and Ana as they stepped into the alleyway. Giving a glance over his shoulder to ensure that no one was following them.

When he saw neither the tattooed man not his companion the young pirate let some of the tension go out of his muscles. He'd half been ready for a fight. Anirians weren't exactly easy pickings on the best of days, and he knew he still wasn't as good as he'd once been.

The Shade had taken its toll on his system.

When Ana asked about other friends Lucius only gave Peyton a look. The Captain would undoubtedly be interested in hearing about the Anirians, but if the man got spooked it would mean their entire plan would be scrapped. This journey would be for naught.

They needed an edge. "I think…"

He spoke slowly, half waiting for someone to interrupt him.

"We need to make a new friend." Lucius glanced at Peyton. "An Anirian one."

If they could get one of the Corsairs talking they might be able to get more than they had. Enough to ensure the Captain would still go after the Galleon.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Andromeda
Peyton peered back down the alley with a quiet huff at Ana's words, but she seemed to have had the same thought as Lucius and she nodded, looking between them. "Aye, I think we might." she pursed her lips.

"Ana I fear we might be about to drag you into some trouble, if you wish to turn your back I'll understand, you've helped us greatly." she smiled warmly toward the woman, giving her the option to stay or leave before she became more associated with their task than she needed to be.

Ana looked from one to the other slowly and then leaned her shoulder up against the brick work, arms folding over her chest.

"Why don't you explain to me what you're actually planning on doing and then I can make the decision?" her eyebrow rose. At the moment all she knew was that it involved crossing Kestra, which sounded like a terrible idea if she had protection like that.

• Thoughtful
  • Devil
Reactions: Peyton and Lucius
In the back of his mind somewhere Lucius prepared to grab Ana and slit her throat if she attempted to run away and go warn her 'friend' of their plan.

She had been nice, kind even, but they were still pirates and letting the word out of their plan was not something that would benefit them. Peyton knew that of course, but she likely didnt have the same wherewithal to prepare for an... unfortunate outcome that he had. The last five years had made him more cynical.

"We plan to…" Lucius began, glancing at Peyton for a moment before he slowly continued.

"Relieve…" Yes that was a nice diplomatic word. "Our Anirian friends of their cargo...and ship."

That was really the more important part. At least for them. A ship to call their own, not being saddles with crew and Captains that didn't know ass from elbow.

Peyton sighed and bobbed her head to the side in agreement with Lucius' words.. "Not that our captain is aware of the ship part as of yet. That I still have to deal with.. But I want that Galleon. Help us get it and you'll have a place on it if you wish to return to the seas." Peyton arched a brow and folded her own arms.

She was hesitant too, but she knew Lucius would be ready for anything. She'd known the woman as a child but she couldn't allow that to afford her too much trust, still she'd been a pirate too, it was pointless pretending that their business was legal.

• Sip
Ana drummed her fingers against her bicep and her eyes lingered on Lucius with a slight air of distrust. Still, she listened to the two of them with the playfulness that was in her features earlier now very far removed. It was probably more obvious in that moment she too had been a Captain's Daughter. The silence seemed to stretch on for quite a while before she finally pushed herself back to a proper standing position.

"I'm not the commitment-y type, Sugar, but it would be nice to be a part of a crew again now and then,"
she nodded slightly. "Alright, I'll help. Anirian, yeah? Any particular position or profession that would be more helpful? I know an Old Guard Captain...?"

• Wonder
Lucius shook his head. "Needs to be one of those Corsairs."

The Pirate explained.

"Someone who will know just how many Marines are on board and maybe why they're there." That kind of information disseminated on a ship quickly. It was one of the true facts of all seafaring folk; they loved gossip. "I'd bet you a Gold Galleon we'll see one of those lads in a bar somewhere tonight."

Unconsciously Lucius ran a hand through his hair in thought. "Know any taverns Anirians might like?"

There was always one. The type of place that was a bit higher caliber, more put together, with women that tended to have sharp tongues and swaying hips.

Lucius hated those places.

Peyton dipped her chin with a light smile "Then you'd be welcome to join us whenever you please." she answered quietly and looked to Lucius as he spoke, a quick nod given at his words.

"Perhaps Ana could use that pretty face and beautiful voice to get us a man on his own?.." she rose a brow and looked back to the woman.

• Cheer
"Well..." Ana pressed her lips into a thin line trying to think about which Taverns might suit his description. "There is ... one. But most people will be at the bar I'm singing at tonight," it wasn't an arrogant boast, just a genuine known thing. Peyton's comment earned her a look of pure sin and a smile to match before she laughed. Even if they didn't want to talk it was true Ana was probably their best hope at getting information out of them.

"It's called the Roaring Lion, the one that fits your description," her eyes returned back to Lucius. "But I think it might be a bit suspicious if we all turn up at such a place," a light shrug.

• Popcorn
Lucius thought for a few moments. There was always a good chance that one of the Corsairs would show up at the Bar Ana was performing at, especially if she was enough of a draw.

"Alright." He conceded. "We'll head to your tavern first, maybe one or two will show up there."

If not they could always head to the Lion afterward.

He did not know Ana, but if she really was the draw she claimed to be then there was no doubt in his mind that at least one of the Corsairs would show up. It would be easier to take one on their own than in a pack anywhere. "We'll hang back, see what we see."