Fable - Ask The Away Team

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
It was good that they were man and woman. Most people on the streets would simply take them as a couple and leave them alone. People generally didn't look twice at something that seemed 'normal' to them, a fact he'd learned from his father.

"Doubt they'll be able to get onboard." Lucius commented quietly.

He did not know as much about Vel Anir as he would have liked, but the bastards liked their protocols. They were a people who followed rules. It came as naturally to them as breaking them did to Lucius. The fool was probably only taking Ana this close because he was getting ha-

The thought cut off in his own mind, and he frowned at himself for the crudeness. "Lets get closer."

Lucius said, snaking his arm a bit tighter around Peyton as he increased his step and gently nudged her against a nearby stack of crates as Ana and the Corsair came to a stop.

--

"Oh I'll show you everythin' alright." Rick said with a confidence as the two of them came to a stop.

The Righteous Justice stood just ahead. It was, as had been promised, and absolutely gorgeous Anirian Galleon. The ship was beautifully constructed, tall sails and clearly meant for more than simple merchant trading.

Lights hung off it even now, though as they looked at the ship it was clear that Rick Strongarm the Third absolutely did not intend to get closer. Instead he slid a hand onto Ana's side, letting it fall around her to pull her close. "But I got somethin better than a ship."

The Drunken sailor began.

"I Got a big o-" Rick leaned in to whisper his crassness into Ana's ear.

Last edited:
"Hm..Doubt it.." she answered, keeping her eyes on the pair up ahead. She was much shorter than Lucius, and she tried to keep quiet as her boots pattered quickly beside him as they picked up pace, holding on to him tightly to keep up.

She peeked around the crates and watched, her nose wrinkling as she watched the man, she could hear the drunken lout from here. Her eyes flared as he leaned in to Ana and she nudged at Lucius. "Think that's enough. Go..." she looked at him with a frown. They could get whatever else they needed by offering ol' Rick some less pleasurable means.

Ana's eyes scanned the vessel in appreciation; she was a beautiful thing. She went to step towards the gang plank she could see a little ways down when he pulled her close. Her lip curled a little in disgust and it only went downhill as he leaned in and began whispering a series of crude things in her ear. There was definitely not going to be anymore information worth getting out of him now. Her hand came to his cheek and this time when she looked into his eyes it was with disgust, not that that would register to him at all.

"Let go," it was a command with little room for negotiation. "You will not lay a hand on me again," her voice was other in that moment - like the crash of waves against the shore. "Tell me more about the ship. What route are you planning to take?"

• Scared
Reactions: Peyton and Lucius
Lucius fell ducked away from Peyton and the crates far faster than one would have thought possible. He moved without hesitation or even a moments wait.

A knife flicked into his hand, and within half a dozen steps he found himself directly behind Rick. The blade moved to catch him at his throat, but before he fully reached them he watched as Ana grabbed the man's face and seemingly bit into his soul.

An odd almost glazed look fell over Rick's features, and Lucius watched as his voice came out in a trembled hollow echo of what it had once been.

"I-I-I don't know."

Rick sputtered out, Lucius taking one more step forward to come up behind him, now in full view of Andromeda.

"I'm j-j-just a deckhand. B-barely m-made the corsairs."

"What the fuck." Lucius said as he watched the man struggle to form a coherent sentence, his knife still in hand.

She stepped out behind Lucius, her footfalls barely audible. She couldn’t ignore the sight of the galleon and she paused to swoon, staring up at the vessel in awe.. she was stunning..

Lucius’ words called her back to reality and she had a quick glance around to make sure they were alone before shuffling over to the three. She frowned at the situation in confusion. The corsair so recently filled with confidence was now a quivering wreck and Lucius hadn’t even touched him.

Golden eyes shifted to Ana...

Ana made a noise of irritation in the back of her throat. Perhaps there was another Cortosi they could go and find tonight who would actually have the answers. She was about to ask where the rest of his crew, the higher ups, were taking their drinks tonight when she heard Lucius behind him. Her peach coloured eyes shifted slightly to over Rick's shoulder and raised a challenging eyebrow at the other man before returning her focus to the matter at hand.

"Walk away, we had a lovely evening. Do not return to the ship until dawn," she waited for that subtle shift to know her magic had worked before releasing the man entirely and folding her arms back across her chest. Once he was gone, probably to walk the town until the early morning, she settled her gaze on the others as if nothing were amiss.

"They're not just carrying goods, they're delivering House Relek's gold. It sounds like quite a lot, there's even a Dreadlord aboard to protect it. You've picked a pretty hard target."

Last edited:
  • Wonder
Reactions: Peyton
Lucius glanced at Peyton for a moment.

The woman they had just invited to be part of their crew was a witch, or something of the sort. For a few seconds Lucius grasped the knife in his hand just a bit tighter, frowning before slowly shaking his head.

He'd met witches before, but that didn't mean it was any less unsettling to see one now. Especially when she hadn't told them about her powers before hand. Not that they had asked. "Well, Peyton knows how to pick em'."

Lucius said with a shrug, flipping the knife in his hand and sliding it back into it's sheath.

With a quick look towards the Galleon he motioned for the two women as he started stepping backwards.

"We shouldn't linger." He said as he motioned towards the Anirian Ship. If there was a Dreadlord on board, that thing was damned dangerous.

Peyton stood frowning at Ana with a look of question on her face. She hadn’t known the woman possessed the ability to turn a man’s mind to mulch. She seemed to control him, somehow, and that unnerved her... Her gaze fell to Lucius’ blade and she stepped closer to him, ignoring pretty much everything that had been said.

As Lucius stepped back, Peyton frowned and stepped forward toward Ana. She wasn’t ready to leave yet, she wasn’t ready to drop it. “Mind telling me what the fuck that was about?...” she narrowed her eyes, her hand resting on the ornate dagger on her hip.

If she could control the Corsair like that, she could control them, brainwash them, make them slaves if she wanted to.

Seemed about the right reaction, Ana thought to herself as she watched the growing suspicion between the two of them. Lucius at least seemed less inclined to have this discussion in the shadow of a ship harbouring a mage. She was quite keen to also get away from here as quickly as possible.

"It's none of your business is what it is Sugar," Ana snorted a little as Peyton stepped forward. Her eyes flicked to the dagger then back to her face with a look of boredom. "You willing to take the gambit about whether that will work or not?" They had just seen magic, they had no idea what it was she could do after all. After a moment she nodded back towards the walk way. "Lucius is right if there's a Dreadlord here we should leave. Unless either of you also happen to be powerful mages capable of defending yourselves?"

• Wonder
  • Scared
Reactions: Lucius and Peyton
Lucius had killed mages before, but it had always been under more...turbulent circumstances then a dock in the middle of the night. Here there was no battle to distract, no splintering wood, nothing that would take Ana's attention besides Peyton.

He was fast, faster than most, but he wasn't quite that fast. "Peyton."

The young pirate said, in a calm tone. If they wanted to kill Ana then they could do it later, like when she had her back turned to them.

"We'll talk about it later." Not in the eye of an Anirian Galleon.

Peyton didn’t like the answer. She tore the blade from its sheath, about to take another step forward when Lucius spoke. Her jaw clenched, and her knuckles paled as she gripped her weapon tightly.

She exhaled sharply and dragged her eyes from the woman as she stepped back, looking her up and down in a new light, one that she didn’t like very much. She’d need an explanation, assurances, but her trust was a shaky thing at the best of times.

She turned to storm away furiously, grabbing Lucius’ arm. She wasn’t letting the siren near him either.

It was always the women, Ana mused to herself as she watched Peyton draw her dagger. Ana didn't so much as move an inch, this close to the sea her magic was stronger. If she wanted to, her voice alone could stop her path. Instead the other woman seemed to collect herself- ish - and stormed off with the dignity of a jealous 13 year old. Of course, Ana was the one with all the information they wanted and for a moment she debated going in the opposite direction. Such knowledge would no doubt earn a pretty penny amongst some other crews who might try their hand at robbing it.

So she took her time as she walked along the deck, hands behind her back. Let them talk a while, Ana thought to herself.

• Sip
While Peyton was preoccupied her thoughts with the Witch, Lucius instead thought about the fact that a Dreadlord was Guarding the ship they planned on taking.

Mages were one thing. Witches were one thing, but Dreadlords?

Those bastards were quite literally trained for killing and killing alone. He doubted that even Ana's magic would work on someone like that, or rather, that she would even get a chance to use it. Dreadlords could incinerate you from a hundred yards with a snap of the finger.

"We need a plan." He told Peyton with a scowl. "And I don't mean the Witch."

The tactical part of his mind had kicked in now. "Focus on the bigger picture Peyton. The ship, and whats on it."

Ana had already divulged that much, and even if they killed her later, they would need her for now.

Peyton made a cautious glance over her shoulder to scowl at the woman. “Aye we’ll get to that.” she huffed “My mind’s a bit preoccupied by the woman who’s been capable of some sort of fuckin’ mind control this entire time.” she growled quietly.

She wanted that ship, and she’d grown a little too accustomed to getting what she wanted.. “Perhaps I was a little too ambitious..” she sighed “We should just go back to the ship, let the captain know, there’s plenty of other ships..” she muttered and pulled him into a quiet alley to press her back against the wall and rub at her face, her hands trembling slightly.

“I don’t want to stay here.” She looked up at him and shook her head, looking back in the direction they’d come from as she wondered whether Ana would follow them or not.

Ana wasn't a sheep nor a lost puppy to follow at the heels of others. If they wanted her she was sure they could come and find her. If not then perhaps it was for the best - she clearly unnerved them both. Before the alleyway the pair disappeared down into was a series of cobbled steps down to the beach proper and she turned and went that way. She pulled her boots off and then continued to walk along the sands for a little ways before sitting down with a soft sigh. The anger was disappearing now replaced instead with the uncomfortable unease that came when people cottoned on to what exactly she could do.

Usually her next step was to kill them.

Picking up a smooth pebble she turned it this way and that in her hand before skimming it across the surface of the sea.

• Sip
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Lucius and Peyton
"We can still take the ship." Lucius was sure of that, but they would have to be careful.

He was no soldier, but that didn't mean he couldn't play at tactics. Fingers ran through his hair, and he leaned against the opposite wall that Peyton had chosen.

"It won't be easy, or simple, but we can still do it even with a Dreadlord on board." That was the real stickler. Yet if Ana was right, and there was actual gold on board the catch would be more than worth it. "I have a plan."

There was a long pause. "We'll need her though."

At least for what he had in mind. "Not the least because the Captain will still need to be convinced..."

Lucius trailed off.

Peyton’s brows furrowed and she dropped her gaze to her feet, running her fingers through her hair with a growl in frustration.

“Aye and what when she takes control of your mind and mine? Takes over the ship for herself?” her brows rose and she looked back up at him, unable to help but looking a little betrayed.

“How can you trust her to help us now?..” her head shook.

"We're pirates." Lucius said with a shrug.

Perhaps that was the difference between the two of them. Peyton still clung to the memory of the Concordant, still tried to see a crew as a family. Over the last five years though, Lucius had learned that couldn't always be the case.

He was sure she knew that too, was sure that she could see it, but right now those thoughts weren't coming forth.

"One thing Old Jell on the Concordant taught me is that no magic is limitless." Old Jell had been a Mage of sorts, an incredibly weak one and only capable of healing minor injuries, but still a healer. "If she mind controls you, i stab her, if she takes me, you stab her. If she takes us both."

He shrugged. "Finch will stab her."

Lucius knew that Peyton wanted that Galleon, and he intended to get it for her.

"We're pirates. We trust who we have to until we can't anymore." Then they all stabbed each other in the back.

She listened to his words and pinched at the bridge of her nose with a huff. “Fine... If you still think it’s doable.” she looked at him, her lips twitching with a weak smirk.

“I trust you.” she pushed back from the wall and offered her hand.. “Just... don’t let her do that to us.” she frowned, the thought clearly making her uneasy.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Lucius
"Do I look like I'm worried about that?" Lucius said with a smile as he pushed himself off the wall and took a few steps out of the alleyway.

The truth was of course that he didn't have any less concern than Peyton. The idea of being mind controlled was...unpleasant to say the least, especially given the memories of when the Concordant had sunk. Despite that though he also knew that they needed this.

Neither of them were built to be just a part of any crew, and having their own ship was the next step that they needed to take.

With one last look over his shoulder Lucius began to walk towards the beach, looking around for a few moments before he spotted Ana among the sands. He frowned for a brief moment, looking back at Peyton one more time before he slowly approached the witch. "Once saw a guy stab himself in the hand when a woman suggested it."

He said as he came up behind her.

"But it was mostly because he sucked at Bishop." A smile was on his face, though he had to force it there.

• Popcorn
Ana had been about to throw another stone when she heard the soft shift of sands that indicated footsteps and instead she twirled it about her fingers. Her temper was beginning to rise again in preparation for an argument or the need to fight. Her eyes slid from Lucius to Payton then she turned her back on them and looked back out at the sea with a soft snort.

"What, no pitchforks and torches?" she threw the stone. It skipped across the waves seven times before finally sinking beneath the waves. The siren dug another one up and brushed the sand from it in preparation to throw it again.

• Popcorn
Peyton sighed and followed behind him to find Ana on the beach, her jaw clenching slightly as Lucius made light of the situation and she rolled her eyes, arms folding like a petulant child. She'd need to pull it together, but she'd have to battle against her stubbornness..

Peyton huffed at the woman's words and looked up at the dark sky.. "Sorry I freaked." she frowned. "Was our fault you were in that situation in the first place, you were defending yourself." she reasoned, a little bitterness still evident in her tone. "Can we trust you not to stab us in the back though?.." she asked and looked back at the woman, a slender brow arching as she twisted the heel of her boot in the sand.

Lucius gave Peyton a side eye, wondering if a question like that had ever actually been answered honestly by any pirate.

Lying was part of their business, just as killing was.

His fingers scrunched for a brief moment, an odd sensation running up his spine as something moved in the distance waters. Lips thinned, and he shook his head as he banished the sensation to the back of his mind.

"Magic ain't exactly common." Lucius said by way of explanation.

He wasn't exactly his best in moments like this.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Andromeda
"S'why I don't tend to use it unless I 'ave to," Ana scowled at the pebble in her hand before throwing it. She didn't even attempt to skim it this time and it landed with a satisfying plonk in the waves before she curled her arms around her knees. "'cause people react like you two, or sometimes they don't even bother to ask a question first," a soft snort. Singing and moving on from town to town made it easier. The less time she spent with a person the less likely they were to figure out exactly what she was. At least these guys seemed to think she was human still. For now, at least.

She rubbed her sandy hands on her skirts then stood up with an irritated sigh before turning to them both.

"You think, if I wanted the ship and shit to myself I would have sat 'ere and waited for you two to talk about contingency plans on how you can off me if you feel like I'm messin' with your minds?" she folded her arms over her chest and narrowed her eyes.

• Popcorn
Peyton's lips twisted as she stared back at Ana, heel digging a little deeper into the sand.. "We don't intend on trying to off you if you don't plan on trying any of that shit on us." she sighed. How would they know, though? Perhaps she had already done that..the thought disturbed her, but she chewed on her lip and looked down, trying to smooth things out rather than dive deeper into argument.

"Look I apologised.." she frowned, sorry didn't come easily to her, and she wouldn't say it again. She forced a smile..

"So.. Are we going to talk about a plan?" she huffed and sat herself down in the sand, hugging her knees to her chest, and the sound of rolling waves filling the gaps between voices sought to soothe her mind a little.

• Popcorn