Fable - Ask The Away Team

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Lucius

Out of the Shade
Character Biography
Link
Somewhere

Pirates had to be careful.

Not every town was as friendly as Teth, and in fact most of the time they were lucky not to be immediately strung up whenever they made port. It was a lesson that Lucius had learned rather early on, and one that he was somewhat thankful for too.

Why? Because it often gave him a chance to get away from the rest of the crew.

When a Pirate ship needed supplies or information, it generally anchored itself several miles up coast from a town, then it would send a handful of it's crew either on foot or in a long boat to said town. More often than not Lucius was part of that Handful.

This time it was him and Peyton. An Enforcer and a pretty face.

They had been sent from their ship in a longboat with a simple two pronged directive; get some nicer food and a bit of information on the local shipping lanes. Easy enough, and as the town came into view Lucius pulled on the rudder of the longboat to send them towards the docks.

"First time on the mainland in half a decade." Lucius commented, more to himself than Peyton.

His time on the ship had been surprisingly calm. No nightmares had come yet, no dreams of any sort in fact. Everything had been shockingly quiet. On the one hand it had been bliss, on the other he could feel the tension in himself build and build.

He was dreading the inevitable explosion of whatever lurked in his skull.

Safi was a beautiful port town as far as port towns often frequented by pirates was. Spring brought out the best of it though with what little trees were left along the docks in full bloom and taverns being able to throw open their doors so that the foul air was dispersed a little better. Everyone just also seemed in a far better mood when it was this time of year. Trades had started flowing and there was money to be made by the fat merchant boats that attempted to sail the sea lanes.

Everyone was ready for hunting season.

Andromeda Barbarossa was performing at one of the Taverns along the waterfront. Her name was quite famous amongst her pirate brethren; either because of her fathers reputation or because they had heard her sing. Nobody forgot Ana once they had heard her. She had just finished off her lunch time set and took a cider outside to enjoy in the sunshine on her break until she was back on that evening. She gave a deep sigh as she settled and watched the people as they passed by.

• Devil
Reactions: Lucius
Peyton watched anxiously as the town crept closer to them, subconsciously wringing out her hands until they were clammy and bouncing the heel of her foot, ignoring the irritating tapping sound that it made against the wood. She always got herself like this before a trip ashore, but she always managed to get herself back to the sea and she was currently trying to remind herself of that fact and keep herself calm. It wasn't working. She wanted this done quickly, and to be back aboard the ship with what they needed and without trouble, if possible.

When she got there, she'd be fine, at least externally. Peyton was dressed in high boots to make herself a little taller, and a jacket of cream, red and gold that made her look a little less 'pirate' and a little more 'respectable', and she'd carry herself with an air of confidence to mask her true revulsion and paranoia for being back on dry land.

She sighed deeply at his words, rubbing at her brow with a quiet mutter.. "Not long enough.." and she turned to look back at the ship that grew ever smaller on the sea, making sure it was still there.

As they reached the dock, Peyton's eyes searched over the people that went about their morning business, just as she always did, as though looking for someone she might know. She looked up at Lucius, clearly a little reluctant to get out of the boat.

As Lucius pulled himself into the dock he noticed an odd sensation in his legs.

He wasn't quite sure what it was, not why he even noticed it, but he froze in place as his brain began to process it. After a second he realized; the ground wasn't moving. There was no sway, no slight jostling of the wood. Nothing at all.

Teth might have been tied to a small island at it's center, but people like him almost never made it there. The last five years of his life had been spent at sea, the subtle movements of the water always sitting beneath him. Being somewhere solid felt...disturbing at this point.

His lips thinned, and then he shook his head as he offered a hand to Peyton. "Come on."

Lucius said as he attempted to be the more confident of the two.

"Let's see what this town has for us." He smirked and pulled her out of the boat and onto the dock.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Andromeda
Role reversal was a funny thing, but she was glad Lucius was there to calm her nerves a little as she'd tried to do for him at sea. She sighed and reached to grip his hand tightly and let him pull her onto the dock. "Aye just.. lets keep our heads down, yes?.." she muttered, inhaling a breath and letting it out slowly before pivoting to walk along the dock.

Despite the impression of confidence returning, she'd subconsciously failed to let go of his hand.. It felt strange, being on land that didn't move, and it was easy to feel off balance, her body still feeling like it was rocking and swaying in waves. Even in Teth, the city rocked gently on a calm day, she was used to the movement and the lack of made her dreadfully uncomfortable.

"Drink?.." she breathed out, she could certainly use one. She had been to Safi once or twice before, and nodded toward the tavern, they'd surely find the information they needed from there, there was little that couldn't be found out in a tavern full of drunk men and loose tongues.

"There's a market on the Main Street, we can get some supplies from there." she told him, managing to walk with a bit of a strut despite feeling that she might fall over at any moment.

Approaching the tavern, Peyton's eyes fell on the pretty woman and her brow lifted. Despite how little time she'd spent on land, the woman was familiar, perhaps from her last time here. She offered the woman a half smile, golden eyes studying her for a moment before she stopped boldly in front of her, gesturing the empty chairs next to her. "Mind if we join?" her head tilted, a small smile visible in her pursed lips.

Andromeda had been busy watching a small argument break out on the docks between two sailors who had recently returned to shore to come to the unfortunately realisation their bonnie lasses were one and the same. She sipped on her drink in amusement as one went sprawling backwards over a crate to avoid the swing of his friend. Then the shadow of two people fell across her table demanding her attention. With a little disappointment she moved her gaze from her lunchtime entertainment to the figures who were requesting seats at her table. A small glance around revealed that most tables were already full and inside was just as busy; a lot of ships had come to port in the last few hours.

"Sure sugar," Ana kicked the chairs out a little for them both and gifted them with a lazy smile. Perhaps her form of entertainment was just going to get a little closer to her table was all. The woman in particular was tickling a memory at the back of her mind from her times on the sea which was very unusual. Not many from her past were still alive; pirates had a short life span. She had been a lot younger when she had last seen her but...

"Hey... aren't you... aren't you Sully's kid?" a quirk of the brow. Her father had had a few run ins with Jon Sullivan over the years; nothing particularly bad, all was fair in love and pirating.

• Love
Reactions: Peyton
Confusion filtered over Lucius' face, but he didn't question Peyton's move.

He unclipped his sword from his belt and leaned it against the table, sliding his seat out and throwing himself into the chair as he glanced between the two women.

When the other one mentioned Sully Lucius couldn't help but tense slightly. The Captain had been Peyton's father, but he'd been a staunch figure in the life of many of the Concordant a crew. Lucius could remember him well, the advice than he'd given, the chances he'd taken.

The man had been a pillar for him, just as he had been for Peyton.

"Never a good sign when two beautiful women know of each other." Lucius commented with a smirk as he waved over one of the tavern Wenches.

Peyton offered a warm smile as the woman agreed, but more because she called her ‘sugar’.. Women were generally scowl faced bitches and Peyton never generally got on with what few she met, but the woman seemed pleasant enough and she sat with a look to Lucius.

She tensed too as the woman seemed to recognise her ..Peyton held onto a fear that whilst on land, those who’d once owned her would recognise her and take her back, it was a fear that was entirely rational in her mind, but unlikely in reality.

The woman mentioned her father’s name though and Peyton’s eyes narrowed thoughtfully for a brief moment before she nodded slowly. “I am.. Peyton.” she introduced quietly and glanced to Lucius. “My friend here is Lucius.. sorry you seem familiar but I can’t place you..” she crossed her arms over the table and leaned, studying her face curiously.

“You knew my father?..” she asked casually, her head tilted, and she shot Lucius a wry smirk at his comment. “Oh?.. Feeling outnumbered? You’re pretty too don’t worry..” she smirked and looked back to the woman “He bathed this week too.” She smiled.

Andromeda clicked her fingers together as the name clicked into place.

"Yes! Peyton... Ana," she put a hands against her chest to indicate she was talking about herself as her smile grew. "Andromeda Barbarossa, our dads used to gamble at the... oh Gods," she looked up trying to remember the name of the tavern. "I want to say something... hippo?" she winced. It had been many years ago. "Captain Randal was my Da, we used to sail The Siren. I don't think I've seen you since I was about... 14?" It was hazy at best recalling these memories. Whenever there had been another girl around Ana's age her father had all but thrown her at them in the hopes she would occupy herself for a few hours doing whatever it was young girls did.

It certainly felt like a blast from the past seeing her here. Her peach coloured eyes moved from her then to the man who had seated himself between the two of them and raised her brow very slightly.

"Well if this is how good you smell bathed I am quite glad I didn't happen upon you on a week you hadn't," her words were like silk but her smile was at least friendly. Catching the waitresses eye as she saunted over she offered her a wink. "Add them to my tab Darla. So what brings you two this ways?"

• Cheer
"Outnumbered? Never. In this situation a handsome man like me only sees opportunity." He bantered with a smile, though as he glanced towards the other woman it was entirely obvious he was still weary of her.

Happening upon an old acquiantance hardly ever worked out in such a way that blood wasn't spilled. Peyton at least seemed open to speaking with her, but Lucius couldn't help but keep his hackles up. It didn't help that they were back on land and he was still feeling somewhat unsettled.

Fingers rapped against the arm of his chair. "You're more right in that thought than you might know."

He countered her words with a self depricating smile. A few weeks ago Peyton had found him in a literal gutter, strung out and barely able to stand. It had not been a good state of life.

"Supplies." He said with a sigh, as though the tasked bored him. "Word of what's been going on around here lately. The usual fair."

It wasn't like they'd been on any sort of secret mission.

Peyton's face lit up with recognition of the woman and she nodded, reaching to her arm "Ana! Of course.." she chuckled at her with a shake of her head "The Black Rhino.. Yes I remember your father.. It is a small world." she shook her head, looking over the woman now as her mind cast her back into her vague childhood memories of her. "It's good to know that you're well."

Peyton turned to give Lucius a look of half amusement, half disbelief at his comment, it wasn't like him, not with her anyway, but she laughed under her breath and shook her head. He seemed more tense than she currently felt, her stomach was flipping over and over nauseously and she tried to ignore the land sickness but it was proving difficult.

She smiled at Ana as Lucius spoke and cleared her throat, lifting her mug of ale from the table as soon as the bar wench brought them over. "We were looking to do some trading for Teth, actually.." she added with a sip from her mug.. "Hoping to find out what you having coming through here on the main lines over the next week." she shrugged.

• Cheer
When her arm was clasped she returned the favour warmly but was careful to ensure the woman's hand was not against her skin before she spoke again. Her light unusually peach coloured eyes turned once more to the restless and stiff man beside her at his comment. A look of amusement crossed her face briefly and her eyes ran down his body like a slow caress before she shrugged.

"Bold, I like," she took a sip of her ale and then listened to what they both had to say. Another glance between the two at the slight differences in their admissions of what they were doing here. The man looked uncomfortable about discussing it which usually only meant one of two things. She set the flagon back down and leaned back in her chair causing the old wood to creak a little as she let out a low whistle.

"Now there's a place I ain't visited in a while," Ana clicked her tongue to the roof of her mouth. "The spring trade has just started up so there are quite a lot of things passing through as of late. So you have anything specifically in mind?"

• Bless
  • Cheer
Reactions: Peyton and Lucius
Lucius glanced at Peyton for a moment. Did she have something else in mind for Teth?

There had been discussions about a plan before hand, but this hadn't exactly been a part of it. His lips thinned for a brief moment, but he kept his face mostly blank. He figured at this point playing the enforcer might just be the best bet. "I'm bold where it counts."

He boasted with a smile.

Lucius knew better than to interject himself otherwise. Peyton would know better than he in this matter at the very least.

Peyton had absolutely nothing in mind for Teth and thought it a better way of asking what trade ships were sailing through without sounding like a fucking pirate. She smiled at Ana's question and shrugged casually "Oh we have a good market going in the square, few dealers looking for some good wine and some nice luxury goods that we could perhaps make deals with on their way through port."

"You certainly are." she smirked to Lucius..

"What do you do with yourself here, Ana? Land walker now?.." she asked curiously, wondering if she'd left the family business behind her.

Ana snorted a little at their light flirtations and watched the pair with open interest. Some sort of shared history appeared to be between them though his face was not familiar to her. When Peyton began to talk of dealings in the market though the siren outright began to laugh.

"Peyton you make it sound like you've gone straight,"
Ana pretended to look a little horrified at such a notion before picking up her ale and taking another sip. "If you ain't gone straight and are looking for info then...," a light shrug and then she smiled at the question. "I sing. Da died a few years back and you know what it's like being a Captain's Daughter on a ship when a new one tries to assert their authority. I thought it was time to move on. You guys should stick around I'm doing a set this evening."

• Bless
  • Sip
Reactions: Lucius and Peyton
"Well as long as we get free tickets." Lucius said with a smile, though in truth he was less interested in sticking around and more about the fact that she was singing here.

The truth of information was that many people had looser tongues when they were drunk. If Andromeda had been singing in Taverns...it likely meant she had heard more than her fair share of tales and facts. Lucius glanced at Peyton, and then decided to make a step forward.

He leaned back in his chair. "We could meet up after."

Lucius proposed. "Maybe you can show us a little more of this town."

Peyton threw the woman a bemused smile and sighed, sitting back in her chair, finger circling the rim of her cup as she considered her.. She nodded gently as she spoke of her father, a soft frown of apology and understanding on her brow. “Yes.. Though I’ve never exactly been authoritative, it is more difficult to have people take you seriously..” she told her, her gaze falling to her drink.

She craved to have that respect back, it was a difficult thing to find amongst men, particularly pirates, and she was glad she had Lucius and Finch back by her side. Men who’d known her father and still treated her with dignity despite the fact that he was no longer around to ensure it.

Ana surely understood. And she felt a little more comfortable talking with the woman as they found common ground. Albeit that ground was dry and unmoving and Peyton simply couldn’t imagine giving up her life at sea.

“We don’t plan on staying long but perhaps we might catch a song or two..” her head tilted .. “As for being straight ..” she grinned at her and laughed under her breath. “We are here on peaceful business, I assure you...” she shrugged. “But whatever information you might wish to share about trade routes and cargos would of course be very much appreciated...” her brow lifted.

Andromeda listened as she finished the rest of her drink and sat back with a thoughtful expression on her pretty little face. She seemed to be considering her options as if she had more importantly things to do potentially with her day. Finally she smiled.

"Sure sugar, I'll show you around," her smile dimpled her cheeks this time. "You might find it easier to decide for yourselves who you want to... offer trade partnerships to if you meet them for yourselves anyways," she twirled her fingers about a lock of white hair. "This time of year in these waters its mostly things between the Empire and Alliria; spices, iron, timber, silk."

• Popcorn
  • Cheer
Reactions: Peyton and Lucius
The Empire?

He'd heard rumors of that monstrosity of a nation. Teth was far removed from the west, but pirates from all over tended to call port there at one point or another. The God Kings rise had not gone unnoticed, specifically his campaign against pirates.

Vel Anir and Alliria were no better of course, not to the likes of them, but it was never a good sign when a new nation started to focus on them as well. "Looking forward to what I'll see."

Lucius said with a smile, though he added a moment later.

"Heard of anyone that had a run in with the Empires navy?" Even on his best day Lucius didn't think of himself as a Captain, but even at his worst he had a mind for the military. That was his job after all. First over the railing and last one back over. "I haven't been out here in some time, and from what I hear they're a nasty bunch."

Might present a problem in the future, especially if they followed through with Peyton's master plan.

• Popcorn
Peyton couldn't help but tense slightly as Ana mentioned the Empire and she subconsciously adjusted her collar and took another long drink.. She listened to her list of cargo and nodded, silently adding 'slaves' to the end of that list and her lips pursed thoughtfully whilst letting the two talk, her expression suggesting that her mind was somewhere else entirely.

Her brow furrowed at Lucius' latter comment and she rejoined the conversation after another sip of ale.. "Aye, I hear that too.." she sighed quietly.. "I'd rather avoid them if we can." she glanced to Lucius before turning her gaze back to Ana.. "I hear there's a Galleon with export heading for Vel Anir, I'd like to discuss trade deals with the ship's captain, any idea when they might reach the port?" she asked with a small smile.

• Popcorn
"You... ain't heard about Cerak?" Ana raised an eyebrow in disbelief, looking from one to the other and back again. Even if your morals meant you hated slavers it was a hard thing to not know about the pirate capital central and the Black Bay. She rubbed the back of her neck and the playful and carefree attitude was gone from her in an instant.

"The Empire attacked it, loads of ships and crews died. That crazy Sparhawk mage was heading it - the only blessing from that whole thing is he didn't come back," she muttered darkly for her own crew and people she had cared deeply for had been amongst those who had perished in the fires. "They're taking a low tolerance on pirates, anyone in the black is opened fire on without so much as a hail mary," Ana tapped her fingers on the table as she thought over what else they said and the ship they might be thinking of.

"As for ships heading for Vel Anir you might have to narrow that down, there's two who came in today but I know there's another one expected this evening or on the morrow."

"People in Teth generally don't give a shit about Cerak." Lucius said with a shrug of his shoulders.

The two towns had been rivals ever since...well anyone could remember. The only difference between the two really was that Cerak dealt heavily in slaves while Teth simply didn't. Lucius had no idea, but that was how it had always been.

Both were pirate towns, both were lawless and Chaotic, but one just didn't like slavers. Not that it made it any more pleasant. "Bastards will be back inside a month anyway."

It was hard to kill a place like Cerak, even if you ripped out the roots.

Still, trying to destroy the place was bold. He wasn't too surprised the mage hadn't made it back. The Black Bay was one of the few places he'd trust only Peyton to navigate through. His unusual bias though, was clear. Unconsciously he glanced at Peyton for a second.

Peyton couldn't help but feel uncomfortable talking about Cerak and the Empire, and although her expression remained stoic, her stomach squirmed uneasily and her fingertips tapped and danced against her thigh. She caught Lucius' glance and tried to offer a warm smile before trying to change the subject.

"Merchant Galleon called The Silver Trident ?" her brows lifted to Ana in question..

• Cry
Lucius saw the lie in the smile, the distaste and the tinge of fear that spiked through Peyton was more than obvious to him.

He knew of her past of course, the history there and what life the Captain had dragged her out of. He'd seen the fate of girls who hadn't been as lucky, and he knew why the subject was so distasteful for her. A frown touched his face.

For some reason now it felt even more poignant.

Peyton had dragged him out of the gutter, quite likely saved his life. Now they were headed to a place where she might be forced to face her greatest fear.

With a marked awkwardness Lucius reached out and gave Peyton's hand a comforting pat, attempting to at least return some of the kindness she had shown him over the last few weeks.

• Bless
"Hm," Ana tapped her fingers on the table twice more. It seemed to her if the Empire had attacked Cerak there was nothing to say they wouldn't attack Teth. Either way she sensed it was an uncomfortable topic so she let it drop and her fingers stopped drumming.

"Captained by Kestra Salome," Ana nodded. "She chooses the more fancier establishments I think she's lodging at the Black Swan whilst she's in town, but we might be able to find her in the market at this time of day," she scraped her chair back and canted her head to the side.

"Shall we, Sugar?" Her crooked smile dimpled her cheek.

• Wonder