Private Tales Taking Two

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"Suit yourself!"
Orchid was tired of her now and she had one point well made though he wondered as to her intent.
This would be the only time they might be apart for weeks. Better make the most of it.
He took to the air as a great gull and made for Vel Ortair.

Fennec

The Arrowfame Inn
Vel Ortair

proxy.php

It was deep night when Fennec arrived, she and her horse walking in along the lane through a misty, overcast evening that blotted out both moons. The dew clung to everything, even the echo of the destrier's ambling clip-clop-clip-clop, and gave the evening a mouthfeel similar to undercooked flan. Like geists, the black and white of the pair melded in from the darkness and into the lamplight just beyond the threshold of a fence that outlined the Arrowfame Inn's yard. There she dismounted, reached into her pocket and withdrew a small, silver bell.

Patiently the ghoulish figure and its mount waited in a light, misting rain.

Eventually, a figure nearly twice her size and mass appeared from the back of the inn, yellow-green eyes faintly glowing in the dark and reflecting the light of the lanterns. It approached, stopped a meter away just beyond the circle of light, then lifted its hands and began to sign a message.

[He is waiting inside.]

Without further ado, Fennec stepped forth, handed the reins of her horse over to the stranger, and strode past him. She followed his route along to the back of the inn where she slipped inside an unlit entrance. Her quiet steps carried her down a short hall, then turned to unlock a door on her right. When she stepped inside she found herself arriving to the company of an older, armored Dreadlord seated at a small table in what appeared to be an office. He said not a single word, but nodded to a large, ornate chest off to the side. Fennec pulled her dripping cloak from her shoulders, set it over a nearby chair, and moved to the chest.

She opened it and laid her eyes down upon the traveling wardrobe of a noble woman. Adra Eden, to be more specific.

• Smug
Reactions: Orchid
Orchid was waiting.
Blonde and handsome, he had taken the first stranger he'd liked the look of that entered the City.
A bit young perhaps, only a youth of 15 years but old enough to serve. He had lain the groundwork. Putting out the word that Sessile (his alias) was looking for work as a manservant and getting to know the locals. The first rule of being a spy is don't act like one. So he was currently in bed, drunk and enjoying the warmth of another body... Glarinda or Gary or some such.
Then he heard it, five knocks, evenly spaced.
Fennec had arrived.
"At last."
He rolled out of bed and stood up.
"Get out."
They protested and while tempted to just sate his hunger then and there, Orchid did not like to shit where he ate.
"Do you want me to beat you again?"
They left without further complaint and the thing that looked like Sessile dressed itself in Sessile's clothes, boots and don'd his jacket.

He made his way downstairs and into the back there a door that was not a door led him to the hallway and down that to a door on his left.
As usual he smelled Fennec before he saw her.
It looked as if she had just finished changing herself.
"It's not your colour, you need to try something else"
His smile was there, Orchid's mouth on someone else' handsome face. Short blonde hair and crisp blue eyes. Leaning against the door as if he really was some causal young tom about town.

Fennec

And as before, Fennec sensed him before he appeared. This was becoming a an odious sort of recurrent theme, like the smell of a skunk before it struck, and sure enough...

"It's not your colour, you need to try something else"

The whites of her eyes narrowed as she glanced at him over her shoulder, then shifted to look down at the new wardrobe. Well, it wasn't black so he wasn't wrong technically, but-

This outfit wasn't for Fennec Vel Olera. It was precisely the wrong shade of not-black, far too big and meant for a woman of curves and form. There existed no place on Arethil where Fennec would wear these things as they were of her own accord.

Nose wrinkled, the Initiate straightened herself and fastened the last button at her collar. Just as her fingers finished the job, mystes sprouted from her back and quickly began to encircle her figure. Around and around they went, forming an encasing like a cocoon before they melded inward and like dark, magical clay created the figure of Lady Adra Eden in her traveling garb.

Last edited:
A hand larked to her bright hair, brushing it clear from her face before moving to tidy her suit. Dark blues and grays outlined by silver embroidery: the colors of House Eden.

"You're not here for fashion advice," Adra said to Orchid, voice low and faintly rasp, "you're here to be my new Assistant. Is everything ready, Gantri?" her gaze shifted to the older Dreadlord who nodded in silent response.

The thing that looked like Sessile nodded and strode forward with an elaborate bow.
"Of course, Ma'am. Forgive my candor."
He took way too much pleasure in seeing Fennec change herself. It was so unlike him, so matter of fact.
He snapped back up and stuck his finger in his mouth. He had decided this habit was Sessile's "thinking face".
"You do look better with actual hips though. The stick insect thing was nice but I like this too."
He did not care what means Gantri had prepared. He could get into the manor on his own and watch for weeks without anyone knowing he was there.
Then mimic Jodeth, eat him and replace him.
This idea of a ruse to establish a ruse felt a bit derivative but he saw how much fun Fennec was having, so he supposed it was novel enough to play along with.
"Yes Gantri, tell us. We're DYING with anticipation!"

Adra raised a grimacing brow at the boy and his comment on her hips, shutting the wardrobe case sharply. There was something aversive to the remark that she could not quite place - be it his current perceived age or just the general tone of his words. It rankled the younger Initiate within to be the subject of talk on the appeal of her appearance, as if her attractiveness or lack thereof had anything to do with her own capabilities.

Not that it really mattered.

Gantri had nothing to say on the matter, though the Dreadlord did not often have much of anything to say in general being that he had no tongue to speak with. The man raised his hands and signed to her [The carriage is waiting outside. At your leave.]

"Good," said Lady Eden before turning her gaze to Orchid, "you will ride with me and provide details on your identity. I will fill you in on the mission plan."

With another glance to Gantri and a gesture of popped brows for him to be on his feet, she turned and swept out of the room to make way for the same door she'd entered the Inn through.

Last edited:
"How *utterly* fascinating."
The sarcasm was palatable in the thing that looked like Sessile's voice.
It followed the thing that looked like Adra Eden outside and into the coach.

It told her it was to be called Sessile Goodfellow and that it was a bright young man who had served Lord Galtin of Eldtree. A small city just beyond the Republics borders.
The papers he had forged were convincing enough.
A statement of identity and a letter of referral from Lord Galtin.
It told the thing that looked like Adra that it would take him the better part of a month to learn Jodeth's manners and moods.

It then waited for the rest of the plan.

Goodfellow. The irony of the surname was not lost on her and she wondered silently to herself if he'd chosen the name for that very reason. Her eyes looked over the papers, quiet-like, and for all the scrutiny that Fennec gave it, Adra Eden's face remained softened and contemplative. After some time, she carefully folded them and passed them back to Sessile with a nod on his requirement of one month.

That was certainly a minimum amount of time and it likely would have been better if he'd had longer, but there were constraints on this mission that would not allow it. A month would, ney must, suffice. She leaned an elbow along a rest built into the side panel of the carriage, chin coming to sit in the palm of her hand. She bit at her thumb nail - a habit of Adra in practice while her mind churned through how to best fit Orchid into the current plans.

"I will arrange for a trip to the Eden's lake country home toward the end of the month for myself, Jodeth, and you," Adra explained after some time to think on it, "it is where he likes to go to get away from the Lord and Lady Eden. The help does not live on-site, so there will be no one around after hours."

She watched Sessile momentarily, and though the carriage was not very bright save for the two small lanterns hung at either side, it went without saying there was curiosity in her gaze, "What is the nature of your... taking?"

The thing wearing Sessile's form shifted and did not reply right away. It's mind reached back and touched something the returned, recoiling like a hand from a fire.
"I remake the form of who or what I touch. Provided it is or was alive. Once I have it I can take shape at will. A perfect copy but I have limits."
It hesitated, wondering how much to give and wether it was all worth mentioning. Still it was nice for it not to be leading the conversation for a change.
"I do not gain the innate magical abilities of a person nor do I gain access to their memories. With time I can learn through mimicry to behave as they do. The rest is research."
Again it paused, staring at Adra's form draped on Fennec's will like a shroud.
"What of this?"
It waved its hand in a vague gesture towards the Adra shape.
"How does this happen?"

There had, at one point between when she first discovered Orchid's monstrous abilities and him being assigned to her mission, been a very long discussion about this very topic of conversation with Proctor Harkenov. Fennec had maintained an unbroken secrecy of her abilities from not just her fellow Initiates, but a majority of the other Proctors as well for all her life spent at the Academy. There were but two that knew her capability of stealing identities, as such was necessary for her to act within a broader collective of spies, info brokers, and espionage within Vel Anir.

She was known within the collective only as Shade and only by her codename, represented as she was by Harkenov.

It was nothing short of deeply discomforting to tell him what she did next.

"I take their souls," Adra said at length of her own silence, "and I become everything they were and are. I am them. Every memory, emotion, opinion..."

Adra's eyes flickered under a shiver of her eyelids and tilt of her head that lasted for but a moment, "every flaw."

Her hand lifted to rub at her temple where one of Adra Eden's headaches had already begun to form. Eidetic memories were a curse and Fennec would never be convinced otherwise. Adra had thought the same, when she was alive.

"I will need to retrieve that of Jodeth Eden's before you assume his face, but it will mean his death. Will that interfere with your ability to take his form?"

• Aww
Reactions: Orchid
The thing that now called itself Sessile smiled. A soft amused line across it's face that might be seen as smugness or satisfaction.
"No. As long as the body is intact I can use it. Dead or alive makes no difference."
There was another pause, the sounds of the coach wheels as they tumbled over the paved streets was all that denied it.
"So, you eat his soul and I'll eat his body... poor Jodeth."
It considered the stakes of the not Adra again.
"Is there any chance Adra's soul will hinder us? We are plotting to kill her husband after all. Might her spirit attempt to warn him in some way?"
It did not know much of souls or their workings, save for it was relatively certain it did not have one being a wholly unnatural creature itself.

Adra Eden

Then that wouldn't be a problem. Her ability to rend the soul from a living being required no physical damages, though she couldn't promise that Jodeth wouldn't fight back. Not that he had much chance against either of them, or his wife for that matter. Jodeth was a physically strong and capable man in his prime, but he was just a man.

"She will not be an issue," Fennec replied in Adra's voice, "so long as I am able to rest once a week from her mask. The weekly routine has been well established since I took her over. When it comes time at the Lake House, her mask will be secured away for the event."

It stared out the window. Watching lamps pass in the mist of night.
"And if you cannot rest..."
It did not want any difficult surprises although it often enjoyed them when they happened.
"Can Adra move against us then?"
It had anticipated the answer but it wanted confirmation.
Necessary weakness needed to be addressed.

Most Initiates might have rebuked that leading question with offense. That it would never happen. That Adra could try to move against them. That there was no chance of it happening.

"Yes," she replied.

Fennec did not fear the truth of her own limitations. She was well aware of the repercussions and had already dealt with them from prior masks. A learning experience, and one she went through a great deal of detail and effort to keep from happening again.

"So it is imperative that I do. The warning word is goldfinch."

"Goldfinch. Alright."
It sat back, unfamiliar shoulders that held more bulk than it was used to rested on the back board.
It did not speak again for a while.
"I can stay in one shape as long as I please but fire..."
It met Fennec's gaze through Adra's own, found a way to peer beyond and into it.
"it, makes me loose control. I return to... my original form."
Its voice held a tiny of something in this exchange of honesty. Something that sounded like shame.
"Since we're sharing."
It smiled a forced smile then.

Adra stared back at him unblinkingly for several long moments, "Noted." If she saw the fleck of shame she gave no indication that she had any judgement or opinion on it. Facts did not require emotion.

A sigh followed as her gaze shifted to the window and her free hand lifted to pull the curtain back just enough to see outside. It was too dark to make out exactly where they were, but the Eden estate was not a long ride beyond the outskirts of Vel Ortair proper.

"Jodeth is very protective of his family," she continued after dropping the curtain, "and will not hesitate to remove any perceived threat from the estate. He is not yet the Head of House Eden, Lord Eden runs the estate and business. Jodeth is more involved in the expansion and cutting deals with new partners while Adra handles the book keeping, expenses, and more involved details. Lady Eden's health has been in decline for the last several years so she does not leave the main estate. She is not to be disturbed."

Shifting her seat, Adra swapped her legs and smoothed the length of her dress over her knees, "Doctor Meyers lives on-site at the estate to tend to Lady Eden's care and to oversee the ongoing efforts of Jodeth and Adra to produce an heir. It has been several years and they have lost many children in the womb. Adra has a great deal of scarring from her rearing in the academy around her abdomen and I believe the damage sits deep enough to effect her ability to carry to term, though Doctor Meyers is convinced she is of sound enough health to."

It watched the other passenger.
Today was full of new things to learn.
"Did you take their souls too?"
It was interested now. The body had its own stories, that he knew well enough. Muscle memory and its own rhythms did their work unless he altered them. Worked on its actions, an unseen hand guiding towards that unknown familiarity.
Especially since it was not nearly as old as it seemed. Human children were a point of interest.

"No," Adra furrowed her brows but not necessarily in any form of offence or disgust at the thought, "I have no use for infant souls."

She couldn't see any purpose in taking one. A soul provided her with the life's signature of the person for her to use in replication. An infant had no life to speak of, least of all the nonsensical idea of mimicking a baby. It wasn't as if the soul provided her sustenance or that the taking of one brought her any kind of pleasure.

"If you have any further questions on the Eden Household or the immediate portion of the mission, now is the time to ask. We will arrive shortly."

It leaned back again and thought.
It was versed enough but it did feel like poking so it asked.
"Are any of the staff expendable? In case I get hungry."
He could subsist on most form of biomater but the bigger and fresher the better as long as it was not much bigger than him.

Adra Eden

"No," came her flat response, the dark of Fennec's true eyes shadowing the pale irises of Adra's.

"If you require greater sustenance, I will arrange for you to join me on my weekly departures. Otherwise," Adra eyed him as the carriage tipped into the turn that she recognized instinctively as the one taken into lane of Eden Estate, "eat the meals served to you at mealtimes. You can always request extra servings."

It smiled at getting her cackles up.
"Very well. Regular meals it is."
*At least until we are done with this pitiful place!*
As they ended their journey it changed its demeanor. No longer relaxed it sat at attention and insisted on getting the door for "Lady Eden" as they came to a halt.
It exited and again stood as any footman might, back straight, head high and hand held out to assist his Mistress.

"Lady Adra," she corrected him quietly, all remnant tone of Fennec gone from her voice, "Lady Eden is Lord Jodeth's mother."

Adra Eden, Dreadlord of the 4th Level, did not in any physical means need a helping hand out of a carriage. Yet years married to her husband and living in the societal lap of luxury had imprinted upon her the power of perceived nobility.

A Lady takes the offer of help with grace, Lady Eden had instructed her without mercy on the lifestyle she was expected to live and the image she was expected to uphold for the first year of her life as Jodeth's wife. Adra would not, could not forget the harshness of her instruction. It was peanuts compared to what she'd survived and lived through at the Academy, but she could not help to think that there were several Initiates she knew who would not last a week under Lady Eden's tutelage.

Somehow she'd impressed her enough not to call off the betrothal.

Several years later, and the poor Lady Eden was not well enough to greet her arrival at the main entrance.

Adra accepted the helping hand with quiet dignity as she stepped from the carriage, and moved off without another word or thought while several young and smartly uniformed men unloaded her luggage from the back.

"Lady Adra," the Butler greeted her at the door with a bow, "we were not expecting you till the morning. Shall I ring downstairs for food or refreshment?"

"No, thank you Beckett," she replied, pausing just inside the large doors, to look back at the young man in her company, "this is my new Assistant, Sessile Goodfellow."

"Yes, I have a room ready for him in the servant's hall," Beckett took a breath, steepling his hands at his front as he gave Adra a look over of concern, "are you sure there's nothing I can get for you My Lady? It is a long journey from the Capital."

Adra affected a wane, placating smile, "If you insist, Beckett, some tea would be nice. Really, I'm quite fine."

"Then tea you shall have. Laura will bring it up with her," he turned to Sessile and lifted a hand in gesture to follow, "Welcome to Eden Hall, young Master Goodfellow. If you will follow me, I will show you to your new quarters..."

With one last glance to the young Sessile, Adra smoothly departed into the grand foyer of Eden Hall, the length of her gown sweeping across priceless Kaliti ornamental rugs as she went off in search of her husband, starting in his study.

The thing that looked like Sessile Goodfellow left with Beckett and in the parting glance from the imposter Lady Adra it gave away nothing. Meeting her eyes with a pleasant and modest smile befitting his station.

Now the work began.

Jodeth was indeed in his study. Trying to be distracted by work. Specifically affairs of state involving a family who lived on his own families land. They had fallen on hard times but otherwise had been sturdy Tennant's so he was shuffling money around to see if he could give them a bit of a break.
But when he heard familiar footsteps come towards the door his mind became full of nothing save the flattering image of a face and the name belonging to it.

"Adra!"
His chair squeeked as he roused his large frame. Tall and broad and though no longer in service he was still in cut and shape every bit a decorated cavalryman of the Anirian Guard.
He approached the door as his wife, his love entered. Arms wide to greet her in soft yet earnest embrace.
"Welcome home darling."
His voice was deep and warm as the sun. As he broke off the embrace he studied her for a moment taking her in as he examined her face. Silently reading every crease and line, what he read had made his brows furrow.
"You're troubled, are the headaches getting worse?"
To be observant was his way. He admired and respected his wife. Her humble origins never concerned him except the painful upbringing of her years at the Academy and the continued difficulties of her abilities. Remarkable as they were.
He had received words of caution from almost everyone he knew to not marry her, not open his heart to a commoner, a Dreadlord, a woman of no means.
He had rebuked them all.
Adra was intelligent, cunning and best of all had seen the very worst of Anirian life and had not let it harden her heart. Even though she could remember all of it.

Adra Eden

• Aww
Reactions: Adra Eden
"Hello dear," Adra greeted in return, her words and voice warming the material of his shoulder.

Words of affection had been hard to hear, even harder to speak. Acts of affection had been even moreso.

The memories of the brutality of her childhood years at the hands of the Proctors and other Dreadlords would never vanish, but Adra had learned to trust in Jodeth. A man of strength but also a man of great gentleness.

And observation.

"Nothing any worse than the usual," she replied, "one started as we past through town. I'll be fine, don't fuss. Laura is bringing me tea." Not that tea helped, but it gave him one less thing to offer. She smiled up at him, world weary but determined not to offer a hint of weakness, "I have brought home a new Assistant. A young man by the name of Sessile Goodfellow. That should help lighten the load some..." and her gaze shifted to the work he'd left at his desk, "what are you working on so late at night? Your candles have burned quite low."