Private Tales Taking Two

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Fennec

Lil Wisp
Character Biography
Link
While nearly every other Proctor maintained an office in the upper tiers of the Academy since the Revolution, Proctor Harkenov had not bothered to move her own. It remained deeply seeded into the otherwise "unused" catacombs in the belly of the estate where once Initiates were taken for torture, abuse, solitary confinement, and other such treatment.

Harkenov's office was a spacious stone chamber housing shelves inset into the walls lined with books, paraphernalia of the time-honored traditions of the Academy yore, and various other artifacts and pieces of intrigue. She remained one of the few original Proctors, and while many had suspected her involvement in the horrible events that marked the debacle of the prior year's graduation, no one had been able to provide any evidence.

The Level 1 Dreadlord who had once aspired and nearly been named Archon in her prime may have preferred the old ways, but she'd begrudgingly followed the rules of the new. So far as everyone believed. Despite this, no one - but no one in the Academy liked being called to her office. Not even other Proctors, though there was a rumor she and Mars Pallatrix had been lovers at one point and still maintained a weird sort of relation between them to this day.

Orchid was the lucky recipient of one such missive that he was to report to her office, prepared to leave on an extended mission. No further details were afforded him.

When he arrived, he would find Harkenov sitting at her desk with none other than Fennec Vel Olera seated in a chair across from her.

Harkenov affixed the boy with a heavy gaze that confided no opinion of him other than her usual malcontent. Stark shadows flickered across her dour countenance from the light of several candelabras and lit braziers. Fennec did not turn to face him, merely sat with her eyes scrolling across a pamphlet of information she currently held.

"Sit," Harkenov ordered. Her voice did not echo.

• Smug
Reactions: Orchid
Orchid Galleus took in the scene and sat.
"Thank you Proctor Harkenov."
This was not how he'd ever planned on meeting Fennec again, because he planned on dying before that happened.
A monster he may be but he liked to be a monster of his word at least.
He waited, Proctors of Harkenov's ilk were big on atmosphere but not time wasting. He knew he wouldn't have to wonder too long why he was summoned.
Why THEY were summoned.
*And thank goodness I wore shoes today* he thought to himself.

• Cthulu Knife
Reactions: Fennec
He was not wrong in his assumptions about Harkenov. The moment his bottom made contact with the chair, a bound notebook slid across the surface of the desk toward him.

"Since you seem to be experiencing difficulties in maintaining the decorum expected of your abilities, Mr. Galleus, you will now be far too busy to let boredom strike again," Harkenov's words were clear despite the accent she held more common to the northern Anirian provinces.

"You will be joining Miss Vel Olera on a long-term undercover assignment in Vel Ortair where your specific skillset will be put to the test. Read over your files now on your target: Jodeth Eden."

Fennec was folding her own notes and deftly filed them away inside her pack and stood from her chair to approach a nearby wardrobe where she began to extract articles of clothing.

*That narking bitch!*
He thought to himself as he smiled and took the notebook, flipped it open and began to read.
He turned the pages quickly and then stopped. He ignored Fennec best he could but her silence seemed personal now. He planned to have words with her as soon as he could.
"Proctor Harkenov, this Eden fellow. In order to do this I have to make contact with him, alive and I cannot assume his faculties. I'd need time to learn his mannerisms, his speech."
He was not really protesting, more explaining his abilities limitations. In order for this mission to succeed he needed to be convincing and he could not be that unless he could study who he was replacing.

Last edited:
  • Cthulu Knife
"Yes," Harkenov responded as though Orchid had just tried to tell her the sky was blue when she clearly was well aware of the fact.

"You will begin your mission in the form of a new Assistant to Lady Adra Eden, which will gain you close access to her husband, Lord Jodeth, to do just that. Fennec will take care of the relevant information he holds once you are ready to take on the Lord's face yourself. Find a suitable form on your journey to Vel Ortair."

Once he knew what he was doing Orchid stood and took a spot behind Fennec.
"Any contacts once we're in Vel Ortair?"
He was rummaging about in his mind as he set his back against the wall. He had another form, a few to choose from in fact.
Perhaps a woman might be a good choice, there was a servant at home whom he liked to scare with her own face. She was delicious in the end. Mother had complained of course but, well, there were always more where they came from.

Last edited:
  • Cthulu Knife
"Fennec has all the relevant mission information. This is a continuation of a long-term operation she has been managing for several months now. Be sure to read your files in full, Mr. Galleon, any further questions can be directed at her. Emryc will meet you with a stagecoach and supplies at the Arrowfame Inn."

Fennec still hadn't looked at him, but was busy packing away the clothing articles into her bag. When she cinched the last buckle, she stood, slung the strap over her head, and looked to Harkenov in silence.

The Proctor fixed them both with a stony expression that nearly mirrored the one Fennec always wore, "This mission is of utmost importance. To fail puts your graduations in unsalvageable peril," her eyes settled on Orchid pointedly, "petty rivalries and insipid games have no place here. Fennec has the lead. Now go."

Upon dismissal no further word was needed. Fennec turned and exited the chamber with calm purpose.

In graciousness and the spirit of teamwork, Orchid waited until they had gotten to the end of the hallway before emotionally exploding.
He hopped in font of Fennec and fixed her with a look of utterly confused frustration.
"Are you completely fucking insane? You told her? HER?"
He cast an accusing finger back at Harkenov's dungeon office.
"Hell's breath I thought you could at least be trusted to keep something to yourself. Is that not the one benefit of being a fucking mute? Have you any idea of what will happen to you when my mother finds out and OH stop, before you fix me with you're predictable look of not giving a winged shit. I get it, you're scary and I get that Harkenov is dangerous but Mom? Heh, Mom is out of her damned mind."
He took a breath and ruffled his hair, trying to impart the danger they were all in now. Typically he wasn't scared or worried about anything but his own Mother was the exception to that rule. He knew she would destroy the Academy utterly to keep anyone from finding out what he was, what she did to make him.
"Congratulations, you just might have killed us all!"
That was it. She either understood or she didn't and if she wasn't scared she was a damned fool. He looked into her eyes, dark and still, like a starless sky and looked for anything, any flicker of true understanding.

• Cthulu Knife
Fennec stood, silent and implacable, under the roar of his tirade. As she watched and, yes, listened, she found herself in a rare moment of small jealousy at the ability to just ... express oneself so bombastically. Beyond her own self control and practiced containment of expression, opinions, and thoughts, she thought it must feel truly invigorating to be so unhinged. A luxury she could not afford.

Orchid would see the complex mechanism of thoughts churning within her gaze. Though it seemed to lack the emotional response he was after, it was not lacking her full consideration.

Her gloved hands lifted.

[It is not my fault you lack the self control to keep your secrets to yourself. There are no secrets between me and the Proctor.]

She would hold any response on the matter of his mother until the day she met the woman in person. Until then, the mother was the veritable Roedinger's Cat.

[If you have concerns about your mother, I suggest you take them up with the Proctor before we leave.]

Last edited:
Orchid laughed the mocking laugh of the damned.
"What can she do? She is still powerful I have no doubt but she is passed her prime by a country mile and it's not getting any better for her. She cannot protect anyone from my Mother. Nobody can."
He let out another sigh then upped himself again, pointing at Fennec this time.
"And I can absolutely control myself. I didn't loose control when I revealed myself I did it because I needed to know who you were and for that you needed to know who I was. Just because something doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it's he uncaring chaos of the universe at work. Your way of thinking is not the only one Fennec. Someone ought to tell you that."
He was getting more frustrated thinking about it. Fennec DID acknowledge the threat, if only in her own "tell mommy" way and Harkenov was no fool. She made a life out of secrets so there was little chance she did not understand the danger his Mother posed.
Orchid relaxed himself, released a bit more happiness into himself. One of the perks of being in such control of ones physiology was the ability to regulate chemicals within oneself.

• Cthulu Knife
He could have lifted the head from her shoulders for that one but he resisted.
"No, but I am not in the habit of beating dead horses."
With that he continued down the hallway, unhappy but unable to reverse time, so he focused on the problems he could manage.
"So, you've been working this for a while. What are we up against?"
Information was key and since Fennec loved so much to blab. He decided she should blab about something useful.

• Cthulu Knife
[Dreadlord exiles.]

There was, of course, far more to it, but - [I cannot speak more on the matter here.]

Undercover operations required a level of need-to-know that did not include the vast majority of the Academy. Initiates or otherwise. She realized he'd walked ahead of her and tried not to think of the fact that he might be popping an eye to see her signing from the back of his fluffy head.

[When you have finalized an identity for your Assistant self, please inform me of the details.]

Up up up out of the catacombs and out onto the Academy grounds to make way for the stables.

"Exiles... if course. Why did I ask? The eternal embarassment of this country."
Fennec was correct, only he did not grow them for her. He kept three inside his hair just to keep an eye on things.
He was not happy getting orders. Commands were antithetical to his being and now he was stripped of his freedom for weeks maybe more.
"Perhaps I should become your HORSE, that way you could literally take me for a ride too."

• Cthulu Knife
[If you think you can get us there faster...]

There might have been the barest trace of a smirk to her expression at that. Now that she was beyond the shock of disgust for what his powers did... rather, could do, it was all weirdly novel at this point. Not as if she had a choice in the matter of working with him so it made little sense to give credence to her deeper feelings of repulsion every time he used them.

"HAH. I could get us there overnight if people weren't so bloody frail."
Orchid shook the distaste from his shoulders and in a fit of frustration kicked the nearest post of the stables as he passed it.
"Even you bawked at my presence. You're not as immovable as you seem. It's a lie, like your hideous makeup."
Suddenly he stopped and turned on his heels to face her. His face judgemental now.
"Why... why are you smiling? Don't deny it I saw it."
He did. He would have bet his right half. He saw it, Fennec Vel Olera smiled for all of half a second.

Fennec

Last edited:
  • Smug
Overnight seemed highly unlikely unless he was capable of sprouting wings, which at this point she wouldn't be surprised if he could. She looked up at him and his many accusations, briefly pondered why he was so stuck on her face paint, and stared unblinkingly on his point of her smile.

If it had been anything, it hadn't been a smile, but she wasn't going to waste time arguing semantics.

[You serving as a simple beast of burden amuses me.]

Fennec sidestepped him and made her way into the stables, the black mystes snaking out of her back to begin collecting the essential tools and tack as she walked down the main aisle toward her personal mount, a stout destrier of black and white pattern.

"Does it now?"
Orchid almost entertained the idea but the thought of Fennec's bony backside on his spine was less than appealing.
"Of course you have such a thing. Easily the most beautiful horse here. You know you seem like you wouldn't care for such things but I know better now."
It was truly magnificent, Orchid was forced to wonder why he had not seen it before but he didn't notice Fennec before the lake either so he chalked up to luck and habit.

• Cthulu Knife
Fennec paused before her horse's stall, her eyes closing briefly as it stepped over to sniff at her face. One of her mystes lowered to hold out a small snack of grain, which the horse took gently. Fennec glanced to Orchid.

[I am fully committed to my chosen aesthetic.]

She hadn't been going for pretty and, truth be told, she wasn't sure she had any opinion on the matter, but it was the best horse suited to her when she'd been given the option of an entire barn to choose from. The cost hadn't been a factor, she was well supported by an outside benefactor. Unhooking the stall guard, she set about cleaning off the mare and getting it tacked with an orchestrated and graceful flurry of myste tendrils all working in tandem to get the job done.

Orchid strongly considered killing the horse. He let a bit of murderous intent slip onto his skin and guide his arm to begin the motion that would end its live.
Just to take something away from her.
"You are committed to taking orders. Do you keep anything for yourself or does Harkenov have claim over this animal as well? If she ordered you to dress in fig leaves and smile would you do it?"
He leaned against the wall and crossed his arms. His habit when he felt put out.

• Cthulu Knife
Was he not aware that the Academy held claim over all of their lives? Nothing was their own, not even their minds. How strongly his ignorance and inexperience here showed. She did not give his badgering a response, but continued to tack up the horse. None of it was relevant to the mission at hand. His banter was sophomoric and pointless on a base level, and she loathed being mired down by invaluable muck.

Presently the horse was ready and Fennec lead it from its stall, down the aisle, and out into the courtyard where she swiftly mounted up. He'd not prepared his own horse and her own lacked any space or the size to carry a second rider. Perhaps he truly meant to go beastly.

Whatever. She wasn't going to wait to see.

Her blackened lips peeled back to issue a kiss through her white teeth to her mount and off they went at a clipped trot.

Orchid made a quick scan and went back to his room.
He packed and took his time.
His things were lights probably the heaviest thing was his sword.
By far the most difficult was what clothes to bring.
He'd spend weeks as a different person, months, perhaps years as this Lord Eden.
When he was done he removed his clothes and tied his bag to his right leg.
He let out a breath, transformed into a red finned vulture and flew out the window.
It was a lovely night for a flight. The world slipped away and he was free at last.
Until he remembered he was going somewhere.
Fennec could travel her way.
Orchid would be in Vel Ortair by noon at the latest.

A long hour passed and he spotted her, small and alone. Singular again.
Travelling on her beautiful horse.
Momentary consideration for her passed in his mind.
Exiles were nothing to be underestimated.
There was safety in numbers when it came to such things.
He dipped low and swooped, brought himself to perch on a stone distance marker.
With effort he worked the form of the vulture to resemble enough of a human voice box to work.
The result was a strained and hoarse voice with an unusual trill.
"Youuuuu are beeeeeing-ah slowwww!"

Fennec

Last edited:
  • Cthulu Knife
Her mystes had picked up on the odd presence of magic as they rounded the bend, instinctively coiling out from her back with a investigatory defensive posture. Fennec knew something was up ahead, and readied herself with a hand at the pommel of her sword, but her own preparations did not keep her horse form startling when the vulture belted out a crooning medley of words.

It took her a moment to work it out that this was Orchid - which should not have been as appalling to her as it was. She'd already known he could form beastly appendages; that he could take their full form was really more logical than anything, if not still disgusting. Like Davi from the year above her, if anyone found out Orchid could do this there would be no end to the ridicule.

Or maybe their soft and squishy hearts would think it was cute. The thought set off a spike of indigestion.

Fennec narrowed her eyes at him and released her hold of the sword pommel, [I am perfectly ahead of schedule.] As she was want to be. Ahead of schedule and under-budget. These things were according to plans set in motion nearly a week prior, which included her return to the academy grounds where she'd rather unfortunately had her relief time interrupted by the creature presently squawking at her. Fen nudged her horse on and it skirted around the bird with some suspicion.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Orchid
The vulture sighed and became Orchid again.
He took his bag and slung it about his shoulder. Being naked did not bother him any more than being barefoot.
He walked behind Fennec, keeping pace with her horse.
"You're being stubborn. I can get us there in hours. Noon at the latest. I thought you'd be one to appreciate getting unpleasantness over with quickly."
She had always done so before, unless she enjoyed this tedium.

Fennec

Fennec would not deny being stubborn, but her stubbornness had a purpose and there was a method to all things. Structure. Discipline.

She wasn't about to twist around in order to sign her response to him with her hands, so two of her mystes formed hand shapes and took care of the task for her at her back.

[My contacts will not be there in three hours.]

[They will be there at the specified time.]

A pause, then,

[I appreciate my rides in solitude in preparation for the mission ahead.]

It gave her time to study, prepare, hone her plans down to the slightest of details. To create back-up plans should things go awry. To wind down her own self, closing out the mindset of an Academy Initiate in order to better slip back into her assigned facade.