Private Tales Searching for a Vigilante

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Aelita

Initiate
Character Biography
Link
By order of Archon Ronan Osmani, the “Black Knight” and his criminal activities shall end.

You are to investigate this vigilante and arrest him. You are charged with the authority to compel witnesses to give testimony and provide evidence under threat of contempt. The sigil delivered with this letter shall act as proof of this authority.

Should this “Black Knight” prove to be too dangerous or an enemy of the state, you may kill him.

You are to give a report of your findings every week until the mission is complete, or you are dismissed.

- Captain Holstag

With the order given, Aelita and her assigned Initiate partner set off to stop a masked vigilante working the nights of Vel Anir.

Aelita first spoke to several different civilians near the Black Knight’s sightings.

“That’s a killer right there,” an old man answered, “Cuts ev’rywhere and slit throats. Who’s next?”

“Myrne’s no good, it’s better he’s dead even if it’s wrong,” a middle aged laborer claimed.

A young boy cheerfully said, “I heard he’s like WHOOSH, BAM! And slaid like seven gangsters at once!”

Before his own mother pulled him away from the Dreadlord.

As dusk rolled around that day, Aelita and her partner would have reached a Celestial temple near where some “victims” and sightings of the Black Knight had occurred. The convent of nuns may have heard rumors here and there or may know of a reliable information dealer in the neighborhood.

With a sigh while walking toward the temple, Aelita commented, “Hooooof, we only found only one person that saw him. Just bodies left everywhere else. Can we even find this guy?

Stepping up to the temple’s door, Aelita gave a few good wraps of the knocker.

Lilette Black-Briar Zinnia

It was a small chapel, at least compared to the great cathedrals elsewhere. Nestled into the very end of a long street and connected to a short wall that kept privacy of the dead buried behind it, it really wasn't out of place in any way, shape or form. Curious then, that such strange happenings would bring two of the Dreadlords to this place.

The knocker, shaped like a star with a ring around it of course, would thud against the wooden door a time or two as a figure watched from the steeple for a moment before leaving as someone else approached the door, which opened wide enough for the young Dreadlords to see inside. The Sister-superior of this convent, an older woman with brown hair and round faced, held the door open to converse with the girls.

At first she would regard them with a raised brow, curious who was at the door. Someone in need of healing? pilgrims perhaps? Maybe someone wished to pray, even if mass had yet to begin. No fault there. But in time, her eyes grew wider.

"Are you...? who I think you are"

More eyes found themselves wandering over the doorway from down the hall as other sisters were drawn in by the sister superior's curious tone. Whispering began, with suspecting new sisters to have arrived, others wondering the sister superior recognized someone perhaps. They couldn't see the situation very well, although one in particular seemed very focused on the scene before her. Silent. waiting.

Aelita Zinnia

• Cheer
Reactions: Aelita
Two Dreadlords stood before the Sister-Superior. Aelita, at least, wore armor typical of Dreadlords and Anirian Guards. A spear-tipped staff remained strapped on her back. Some emblems related to the Dreadlord order adorned her attire.

Umm,” Aelita began with a blink, “Evening. Hope we met you well. We’re Dreadlords.

Gesturing to herself, Aelita told the Sister-Superior, “I’m Initiate Aelita. Would you have time to answer a few questions?

No sign of the sigil from Aelita, yet. And as far as the chapel was concerned, while Vel Anir was a secular state it did not persecute religions that posed no explicit threat to public order. Unless the convent deviated significantly from most Celestialism groups, they would not be under threat simply due to their beliefs.

But preemptively, Aelita added while some of the other sisters would have been in earshot, “Uh- we’re looking into vigilantism in the area.

• Cheer
Reactions: Lilette Blackbriar
Somehow this was the third consecutive time in recent history that Zinnia had been made by the proctors to contribute in investigating strings of mysterious deaths. Maybe by now they figured she had some sort of knack for it. Maybe they thought it was contributing to building her character and bringing her out of her shell. Whatever the case, she wished they'd stop. Zinnia didn't much care for the sight of dead human bodies, and no amount of exposure to the brutally slain would ever let her be comfortable with it.

Duty was duty, however. At least this time the victims weren't children. Zinnia was more than happy to let Aelita take the lead at this point, especially when it came to interacting with Celestialists. That brand of theism seemed to be catching on since the revolution from what she'd read, and she had to admit that invoking the name of Anirius in times of strife was oddly intuitive. Celestialists themselves, however, gave Zinnia the creeps. The one standing at the door to the temple was no exception.

The wallflower's unnaturally gold eyes constricted at the sight of the pale maiden in the doorway.
"I-initiate Zinnia..." Was the only introduction she offered. Zinnia had been developing a talent for identifying situations that felt wrong. It was like her instincts had been growing sharper in the last year or so; this was one of those moments. She wanted to get out of here as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, she knew that would only be possible through the encroaching line of questioning.

"Ohh! thought I recognized that armor. I'm a little near-sighted so it's 'ard to tell some days" The sister superior chuckled nervously, pulling the door open further until it could open no more and the young Dreadlords could step inside. The other sisters were quick to disperse and make themselves look busy, including the dour pale figure that Zinnia had spotted before.

"Please, come in, come in! If I can't help you girls, maybe some of the sisters can"

She would turn and lead the two initiates down the hall and into their little chapel. The end of the hall led to a humble row of pews leading up to an alter with some star-shaped statuette on it. It really wasn't much, but at least they had a pretty stained glass window and a church organ off in one corner. Even had their own confession booth!

The sister superior took a turn however, through a side door that led to the first segment of living quarters. A few tables, a nearby kitchen, that sort of thing. Actually, there was food being prepared still, and the leftover dishes being cleaned while others were set out.

"We're just about to have lunch,"
She said in a much friendlier tone, happy to do her good deed for the day "You're welcome to a bite if you're hungry. I know they keep you military types on the move so much"

"Now, sisters?"

The others were quick to turn away from the chores, at least once they doused the fire like they were supposed to before everyone ran off to gawk at the newcomers. oops...!

"These two are with the Dreadlords. An' they're looking into vigilantism"

"Like the Black Knight?" One quickly chimed in, receiving a stern look for interrupting.

"Like the Black Knight, yes... So, they're going to ask some questions. An' we're going to answer to the best of our ability. Understood?"

After the exchange, the others took a moment to finish setting the table and all sat down, save for one of the eldest. The pale one, actually, who was merely a little shadow before. She stood out in that she carried herself with a certain dignity unbecoming of a humble servant to the gods. Well, and that her skin looked alike to a porcelain doll's. Even her eyes were pale, like green-tinged silver, resting below gray brows. Still, she wore a youthful, friendly face as she approached the last empty seats where the dreadlords were to be sat, offering bowls of warm soup, bread and cups of water from the small platter she carried.

"If it please you, young Dreadlords" She offered in soft voice, accented and more befitting of nobility than one her in station. And yet there she was, dressed in the humble vestments of the Celestialists and serving these two soldiers with a gentle smile.

Aelita Zinnia

• Nervous
  • Aww
Reactions: Aelita and Zinnia
After receiving the invitation to enter the chapel, Aelita replied with a smile and, “Thank you for being understanding.”

Then, Aelita glanced over to Zinnia for a moment before taking the steps to enter the chapel.

While following the Sister-Superior, Aelita looked around the interior of the church. She glanced at the other nuns, the decorations, the statues, all that she could.

In response to the offer of food, Aelita refused with, “Thank you, but I’ve already ate.

A lie, and one Zinnia would have the chance to know.

Listening to the conversation among the sisters and the Sister-Superior, they quickly revealed that they knew of the Black Knight without the Dreadlord’s asking. A freebie, essentially.

Once seated, a pale sister offered the Dreadlords soup, bread, and water.

With a wave of her hand and a shake of the head, Aelita again said, “No, thank you for the offer.

Aelita did not give much further attention to the pale nun and began questioning.

Thank you all for your time and hospitality,” she first said, “We’re indeed investigating the vigilante you know as Black Knight.

A series of rapid fire, easy questions followed. Such as:

When did you first hear of him?

Have you heard of any descriptions of him?

...​

Did any of your worshipers see him before?”​

...​

Have any of you seen him?

With, of course, plenty of opening for Zinnia to interject.

• Nervous
Zinnia shared the glance nervously with Aelita before following her lead and stepping inside. The food within was enticing, the scent of fresh made soup wafting through the air almost nostalgic in some strange way. She imagined some cold night at the orphanage that she barely remembered, the soup back then being the only thing that offered her relief beyond some ratty blankets. It wasn't even good soup.

Regardless, she took the cue not to take any from Aelita's verbal hint. She was also careful to track the pale sister that offered once more; unsettling, that one, if quite pretty. Something about her made Zinnia's skin crawl.

Her eyes did break away from following the doll-like woman as Aelita asked her questions, however. There was at least one thing she felt that her compatriot was failing to cover, something fairly important.
"I th-think perhaps calling the Black Knight 'he' m-might be a little...p-presumptuous. A-as of yet we don't know if he or she is m-male or female." Zinnia chimed in, scanning around for reactions to that concession.

"Oh? as you wish"

The living doll would bow her head ever so slightly, strolling from one side of the table to the other as to take her seat once the extras had been discarded. The soup being added back to it's pot and the bread to the cutting board. Both could simply be reheated and she knew well enough the importance of saving. If not for herself, then perhaps the poor.

Then, straight to the point it seemed.

Many questions were asked, and as of yet, no answers. Only brief pauses were made and even briefer glances exchanged between the sisters as Aelita , the one in charge as most presumed, concluded what some felt to be an interrogation.
Have any of you seen him?
I th-think perhaps calling the Black Knight he m-might be a little...p-presumptuous. A-as of yet we dont know if he or she is m-male or female.

The pale one couldn't help but smile, however subtle. Only the feintest rise at the very corner of a soft pink lip. Easily missed if one weren't paying close attention, though she knew already that Initiate Zinnia had been unable to look away for most of her visit thus far. A realization that the Initiate was likely to know herself, as she had briefly caught that silver-green gaze now.

At least, until one of the others spoke up at last;
"Sister Lilette?"

Her gaze wandered curiously to one of the younger sisters who had questioningly called to her.
"It seems one too many bedtime stories has taken hold of both our thoughts"

She smiled reassuringly to the young sister, though internally she had much different words in mind.

"I have seen them before, yes"

Her gaze would once again shift, studying the two initiates for their own responses. Any subtle movement of the body, posture, a look behind the eyes or change in expression. Anything to clue herself in to true nature of this situation as she would rest her chin on those steepled and soft leather-clad hands.

"Though a few claim the Black Knight to be an 'It' rather than he nor she. A vengeful spirit brought to us by divine judgement or unholy machination"

"If you believe in such"

Oh yes, now she could hardly contain that little smile. Even now, she still enjoyed telling ghost stories.

"It is as they say; Clad in blackened plate and long cloak. Only ever showing that form in the dead of night, so far. Wielding a sword as long as most men are tall, looking down on wicked things"

"D-didn't Isabel hear them too?"

Another quick glance exchanged between sisters would reveal to Lilette that one another little sister was entranced by the tale. A silver brow had been raised at her, and now she knew that the Dreadlords would have to be given a little more to satisfy their dutiful curiosity.

"Ah, Isabel? The baker's daughter. Yes... claims the knight spoke to her, once"

She sighed, unsure exactly how this would play out.
"The child was kidnapped a fortnight ago. Rescued by the Knight recently"

"I am told the scene was ghastly... I assume that is why you're here?"

Though the killings had begun a year prior to this day, and investigations had occurred in that time, none of them had been this serious before. A few isolated 'murders' here and there, but 'The Black Knight' wasn't known for butchery on that scale. Not until now, at least.

"Surely you don't mean to capture our mysterious wraith? Some rather enjoy the newfound safety among these streets" She frowned, gaze still fixed on the young dreadlords.

Some frowned in kind, but the sister superior merely cleared her throat as to address them;
"Though you speak the truth, Sister Lilette, it's best we remember that this thing of the night 'as broken the law too."

"I suppose that is true" Sister Lilette relented, taking a delicate but deliberately loud bite of bread

"Though... I rather enjoy our little baker's return"

• Nervous
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Aelita and Zinnia
Zinnia mentioned the fact that Black Knight’s gender remained unconfirmed. Aelita looked over to the fellow Initiate.

A pause.

Oh, yeah. True,” Aelita said, “Could be like Fazula.

Fazula is the main character in several recent bard’s tales. In the ballads, she disguised herself as a man to serve in her nation’s army.

Of course, Aelita missed any tells from the pale sister as her attention had turned to Zinnia.

In fact, the first few words Lilette spoke garnered no reaction until

"I have seen them before, yes"

A snap of Aelita’s head and a “Huh? Seen them?” followed.

Listening to Lilette, Aelita furrowed her brows a few times.

Uh huh,” she muttered as Lilette was mid-sentence.

Aelita rested her chin upon one of her hands. Her eyes drifted to the side – to just empty space – as Lilette spoke.

When asked if the Dreadlords were here for the kidnapper murders, Aelita returned her gaze to Lilette to confirm with, “Ah, yes. Black Knight’s a suspect behind a recent massacre.

After Lilette questioned whether the Dreadlords intended to capture the Black Knight, Aelita’s eyes looked down for a moment with a frown. She relaxed her arm as the Sister-Superior first replied to the pale sister.

Then after Lilette’s final comment, Aelita calmly told the convent, “We’re to arrest the Black Knight, yes. I guess the best case would be, considering who’s been killed, the vigilante’s to serve time in service to the Guard. Worst case would be...

A pause followed. Aelita looked up. Concern took hold of her expression.

If the Black Knight’s true nature and intent is truly malicious.”

Aelita then looked over to Initiate Zinnia to see if she had anything to add or ask.

• Nervous
She knew she'd been staring. Zinnia knew the nun knew this, too. That little, nearly imperceptible smile. The amount of knowledge she carried over something she likely had little business knowing. The nun had the air of someone with something to hide. It took one to know one.

All suspicion and conjecture for now, though. Zinnia only had her gut to rely on for the moment, and that wasn't enough to act on. Not in the republic, anyways. The old ways, well...this convent wouldn't have even been here.

"I h-have nothing to add, except that i-it's the j-job of the Guard and the D-Dreadlords to keep the p-peace, not s-some 'wraith.'" She admonished, then looked to Aelita. "M-maybe we should follow the l-lead, talk to the b-baker and h-his daughter."

Benevolent in purpose or no, if a creature like that was undermining Vel Anir's authority, it could spell disaster. She did have to wonder, though, why no Dreadlord would have resolved the issue before the vigilante had...

We’re to arrest the Black Knight, yes. I guess the best case would be, considering who’s been killed, the vigilante’s to serve time in service to the Guard. Worst case would be...

"Oh... pity" She frowned, genuinely upset by the news.

Actually, more than a upset. Even if her face showed mere sorrow now, internally she was in a panic! She couldn't very well eat if she were forced into the guard now could she?! not with so many eyes on her, not when confined by law and code. She was already practically starving whenever the scum went quiet, hampering her ability to even deal with them in the first place.

I h-have nothing to add, except that i-its the j-job of the Guard and the D-Dreadlords to keep the p-peace, not s-some wraith. She admonished, then looked to Aelita. M-maybe we should follow the l-lead, talk to the b-baker and h-his daughter.

"Mm. you are stuttering something fierce," Lilette knew it was likely her own doing, but there were other possibilities she would muse over while idly stirring her soup. She had only taken a few sips herself, as her apatite was lacking. For human food, at least.

Finally, she glanced up
"Do you shiver, dear? of cold, or fear I wonder?"

She did not speak in an accusatory tone, despite her words. In fact she saw this as a good opportunity to maybe alleviate some of the worry she had observed. She had a feeling that Zinnia suspected something, but what exactly, she couldn't quite tell.

"The soup is still warm, if it please you. But if it is fear that gnaws at the mind- allow me to put those fears to rest?"

She would smile warmly now, putting on the old nun act.
"I have been studying with the apothecary in the medical arts. You have my word; should you return with wounds, be they minor or grave, I will happily tend thee. All I ask in return is that you don't strain yourselves after"

Aelita Zinnia

• Nervous
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Zinnia and Aelita
Following what Zinnia said, Aelita nodded in affirmation.

Mhm,” she hummed with a smile.

But then, Lilette started talking. Aelita’s head snapped back toward the pale nun when she brought up Zinnia’s stutter. A slight frown formed on her slips. An eyebrow raised. Eyes squinted as they focused on Lilette.

Aelita’s lips parted for a moment before closing. A deep breath in followed. Her face relaxed. A blank state.

When Lilette finished, Aelita stood up in an instant. Hands pressed upon the tabletop. Her eyes remained on Lilette.

With a tilt of her head, Aelita looked toward the Sister-Superior.

We’ve received enough of your hospitality, Sister-Superior,” she began with an atypical harshness behind her voice, “We'll need directions to this baker.

A great deal of concern and confusion made itself manifest on Zinnia's mien. The pale nun's words suddenly shifted to something that felt far more like taunting than anything else. Taunting or mocking, perhaps. Zinnia knew well of her stutter, but she didn't much care for having it pointed out to her, and she had little patience for it if it wasn't coming from one of her Dreadlord kin.

"My st-stutter has nothing to do with the c-cold or being af-fraid. I c-c-can't help it..." Zinnia asserted, glaring down at Lilette. "I th-thought nuns were s-supposed to be nice."

Aelita didn't seem to be too happy about the way she was speaking either. Off, off, it all felt off. Whatever. If she wasn't hungry before, Zinnia really didn't have an appetite now. The sooner they got out of here the better.