Private Tales Royal Affairs

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Gerra

The Emperor
Character Biography
Link
The so-called god-emperor of Amol-Kalit sat in private dining chambers at the manse in Tyria used for distinguished guests.

He sipped wine from his goblet and watched the door, wondering how long Xaviera would make him wait. Even now, his fleet was out at sea under the command of Maho Sparhawk, dealing with the pirate problem that had plagued Tyria for far too long.

Would she be grateful? Outraged? Or coldly apathetic. Gerra had only met her once before. First impressions were not always accurate.

It was ironic, perhaps, that the god-emperor's greatest ally in the Tyrian court was the reason for the tardiness of the Queen of Tyria. She had spent the hour leading up to her departure from the palace in a heated debate with the Dowager Queen Jaliah, who seemed unwilling or unable to accept that her granddaughter had every intention of meeting Gerra without her.

"It is unseemly," the old woman had wheezed at first, standing behind Xaviera as the Queen sat before her looking glass, adjusting her makeup and jewelry for the meeting. If Xaviera didn't know any better, she could mistake her conniving grandmother's concern for genuine. "A young, unmarried woman in the company of a powerful man without a chaperone. What will people say?"

"They will say that their Queen sought an end to the crisis that was draining the city's finances and threatening the livelihood of almost everyone who lives here," Xaviera said, taking off the tiara she had placed on her hair and replacing it with something less ornate. Perhaps better to stroke the ego of an emperor to appear as a supplicant. It was still gold, and obviously of fine quality, so she hoped it would not be insulting -- or appear that she was not treating it seriously.

"But your advisers -- someone should be with you to assure you are not taken advantage of -- that Tyria is not taken advantage of," Jaliah insisted.

Xaviera paused then, in the process of putting in an earring. She fiddled with the backing as she examined her grandmother's appearance in the looking glass. "You worry about this, when you yourself have been pressing me to seek Amol-Kalit's protection since before the shipments started being hit?"

"Well, I - "

"Enough, Nani, enough now. I am Queen, as much as I know it pains you, and this bickering has delayed me enough." She stood and made one or two final adjustments to her dress -- white, with a Tyrian purple chlamys pinned in place with a golden brooch over her left shoulder -- and armlets. She took her grandmother's face in her hands and leaned over to kiss her forehead. "Thank you for your counsel. I'll see you when I return."

Jaliah followed her to the door, blocked it with one brittle arm. "Xavi," she murmured, the other hand going to take her granddaughter's wrist. "If he has the power to save Tyria, believe he has the power to destroy it. Whatever he asks, you have to find a way to say yes to him."

Thus it was a few minutes after the appointed time that the Queen's litter arrived and she emerged, to be quickly ushered inside out of the heat. The residence was kept ready for visitors of import, and the fact that the so-called god-emperor of Amol-Kalit had come to stay, when he could have easily summoned the Queen of Tyria to Amol-Kalit had the staff at the residence and the palace -- not to mention the rest of the city -- abuzz with gossip. This, coupled with reports that naval battles of striking ferocity were taking place across the great bay, gave Xaviera some idea of what this was all about.

Amol-Kalit was saving Tyria's metaphorical and economic bacon. Gerra was here to settle the debt.

Whatever he asks, you have to find a way to say yes to him.

The herald cleared his throat briefly before announcing: "Her Majesty Xaviera, Queen of Tyria." Xaviera took a breath, adopted what she hoped was a humble -- but not humiliated -- persona, and stepped through the doorway to the god-emperor's dining chamber. She approached him and offered a perfunctory curtsy (as advised by her protocol officers, though it galled her to be instructed grovel to a potentate in the realm that she supposedly ruled autonomously and by right of blood and the gods.

"Your Imperial Highness," she said upon rising. "I must apologize for keeping you waiting. There were... urgent and late-breaking communiqués to review. I hope I have not inconvenienced you. Are you finding the hospitality here to your liking?"

• Popcorn
  • Cthuloo
Reactions: Gerra and Fieravene
"Yes, I do admire Tyrian furnishings. Ragash may have you beat in architecture, but your linens are unparalleled. Please," Gerra waved a hand dismissively, "we are both monarchs and it is just you and I. Let us dispense with the formalities. Sit. Talk. Drink."

He grabbed a second goblet and poured from a bottle on the table. A stream of deep maroon filled the cup.

"A very old vintage, from a vineyard I used to own in Annuakat. I brought it with me."

He offered the goblet to her.

Eyes the color of the setting sun watched her, with her thick, wavy hair as black as midnight bound up in intricate curls and the chlamys falling gracefully around her smooth, olive skin.

"Purple suits you."

As surreal as it was to be offered pleasantries and wine in her own country, the diplomatic fiction of the property being Amol-Kalit within the walls of the compound were as binding as anything. She was as a guest in the court of the god-emperor. Still, while they were quite alone, it wouldn't do to let her guard down. She went to the table and took a seat opposite him, watching as he filled a goblet for her. She accepted it with a gentle inclination of her chin. "Thank you," she said quietly, lifting it so that she could peer into the inky darkness of the wine before lowering it again.

Her hand cupped the goblet carefully, and just as carefully gave it a gentle shake. To a layman, it would have looked ridiculous, but anyone who enjoyed wine would see that she was freeing the bouquets within the wine, a critical stage to appreciating a truly good vintage, rather than simply drinking purple swill that tasted like vinegar for the sake of getting drunk. Surely enough, when she lifted the goblet again, it smelled like more than just wine. Really well-honed palates would be able to tell the region, the grape varietal, and even the year from the smell alone, but Xaviera was content just to make the wine taste better.

As she performed this little ritual, she pretended not to notice the appraising look the half-giant was giving her. But when presented with his compliment, she could duck it no longer. "I am blessed with a complexion that suits it," she said demurely, the corners of her mouths twitching upward into a smile as she took another sniff of the wine. "And doubly blessed to be the steward of a people who make it possible to wear it. Your good health, sir," she said, lifting the glass in a toast to him before taking a sip of it.

"This is... very good, actually," said Xaviera. "I had been prepared to grin and bear it for the sake of diplomatic relations but it's not at all necessary. I hope you won't take offense, but the way you phrased that raised many questions. Do you no longer own this vineyard? A pity, for it produced an excellent vintage."

Gerra

• Love
Reactions: Gerra
“No, sadly, I did enjoy that vineyard, but I parted with it for the greater good of the Empire as part of a bargain.”

He let that hang in the air for a moment as he took a long sip of the wine, relishing the crisp taste of grapes grown on slopes facing the ocean.

“Just as I parted with my fleet to protect Tyria.“

The Tyrian Queen set the goblet down -- not wishing to appear to be gluttonous where the wine was concerned -- and rested her elbows on the armrests so that her fingers could lace together before her. Her golden bangles slid down from her wrists to her forearms. Her left cheek dimpled as her lips hesitated somewhere between smirk and smile.

The god-emperor does not do subtlety, she noted to herself. "Perhaps, like your fleet, the winery will return to you, all the stronger for the experience." She paused and ran her finger around the rim of the goblet, creating a gentle melodious warble for a moment before allowing her dark eyes to look across the table at him again. "Admittedly," she said confidentially, "It seems unlikely that this vintage could be improved upon, but you never know."

The young Queen inclined her head towards the god-emperor. "In all seriousness, please allow me to offer you the thanks of my people for your aid during this challenging time. We have never experienced anything quite like this. Perhaps your navy may be able to shed some light on this sudden surge in piracy. I am embarrassed to say the pirates quite overwhelmed our naval forces with their numbers and abilities."

Xaviera lifted her glass and took another sip, examining her host surreptitiously through her eyelashes for any hint of a reaction.

Last edited:
  • Devil
“Yes,” Gerra frowned, “a great Corsair has risen to power named Alarak. He has united many of the captains under one banner and this unified force has been reaving our coastline. After the blow Maho dealt them in the Gulf, their power is diminished. But I have not heard word of Sparhawk in some time.”

The Emperor pursed his lips and was silent for a time.

“Well, let us not dwell on such dark affairs. I wish to know more of my fellow royal who dwells so closely across the waters. Come, tell me of yourself Queen Xaviera. Banish ill news with the wonders of your sparkling city.”

Xaviera frowned thoughtfully -- not enough for her forehead to wrinkle, just enough that her lips twitched down at the edges -- and nodded gravely. He seemed to be laying it on rather thick: Tyria, and by implication, Xaviera herself was responsible for the security risk of having Annuakat's fleet deployed, for the potential loss of Sparhawk, for all the ills that could befall the region because of the pirate threat.

On the other hand, her father had once explained why Tyria was so lightly-defended. First, the small city-state had worked to maintain cordial relations with the surrounding powers. Second, nations that had posed a threat to stronger nations and their powerful monarchs had a habit of ending up conquered and their leaders dead. So the key, according to her father, had been to be strong enough to handle nine of ten situations, and pray to address the tenth situation.

And pray the bigger and more powerful states didn't roll over one night and crush Tyria.

She cleared her throat and inclined her head, shaking it slightly to clear her mind. "Of course," she said. "Have you spent much time in my fair city? You'll not find clearer water or cleaner streets on these coasts. As for me, I'm afraid I would bore you. My father had the misfortune of siring only me, so I acceded to his throne when he passed." She sipped her wine. "It has been a challenge to get one's bearings," Xaviera confessed. "Especially since this business with the pirates."

The Queen paused and decided to press her luck. "And you, Majesty? Is it true what the people are saying about you?"

Gerra

• Devil
Gerra quirked a brow.

"And what do they say about me?"

He could imagine they said a great deal. He was, after all, an emperor. And one who had declared himself a god, no less - or at least the son of a god. And the prophesied champion of the unknown deity of the desert elves. As the titles accumulated, so too would the criticism and the rumors. He knew how court politics flowed. They would never say things to his face, but in private? Well, another story entirely.

Gerra did not miss that she had skipped over her own small hobbies with an alarming lack of detail. No matter. They would circle back in time.

He took another sip of his wine and looked at her expectantly.