Private Tales Raindrops on Roses

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Tabitha had reached the kitchen with ease, no one stopping her upon seeing the look on her face. She reached around the doorframe, pulling a wineskin from the hook. She shook it, a soft sloshing greeting her ears. She undid the top and took a swig, wiping her mouth very unladylike on her sleeve. She slung the loop of the skin around her neck and headed back down the hall. She still had a responsibility to make sure Michael attended to the horses correctly.

She silently hoped Llewen had moved on so she didn't have to face him. She slid outside again, stepping down into the yard. She saw Michael grabbing Spirit, leading both animals to the stables. Her gaze slid to another figure, his foot connecting with a bucket, sending it flying. Llewen?

Worry creased her brow, taking over her emotions. She could see him visibly crumble, and she moved instantly to meet him. What started as a walk, swiftly turned into a run as she cleared the space between them. He was pacing, hot tears in his eyes. She grabbed his arm gently, pulling him to her. She wrapped her arms around him gently and held him, as her own tears at his frustration poured forth. "Llewen. I'm here."

Llewen didn't notice that Tabitha had gotten so close until she was already pulling him into her arms, a sensation he initially wanted to resist but ultimately accepted upon feeling her soft, warm hands and the familiar feeling of her embrace. He said nothing at first, simply returning her embrace and resting his head on her shoulder, weeping softly. His tears burned their way down his face and into Tabitha's shoulder, hot with the fury that was building inside him. A type of fury he'd never felt before, a true and righteous anger towards the Galentor house and the current situation. The type of fury that made a man unable to rest for boiling blood in his own veins. Finally, he broke the embrace with Tabitha, looking in her eyes with a wild anger the likes of which he'd never worn before.

"Everything, Tabitha. They're going to take everything from us. A messenger from House Galentor arrived, saying we were the ones who killed their men that you and I just saw on our race." His voice and his breath were both hot as cinders. "They want 50 gold per month from us. That's most of what we make. We'd never be able to pay back Princess Helia. I... I need Landis here. He'd have a better idea what to do." Llewen gave Tabitha another wild look. "I won't let them get away with it. I have not done all of this for House Merrick only to have it stolen away by a man I haven't even bloody met!"

As it happened, Landis would be returning momentarily, but for now it was just the two of them, and he hoped she understood how dire the circumstances were...

Tabitha Pamona

Last edited:
  • Cry
Reactions: Tabitha Pamona
Llewen accepted Tabitha's embrace and she held him tightly as they stood in the yard. He buried his face against her and she ran her fingers through his hair to soothe him. She had never seen him quite like this, and it worried her. She didn't know what was wrong, but right now he needed her and she couldn't stand to see the tears he shed.

After several moments, he pulled away from her. Her eyes met his, and she flinched from the feral look and the bite in his words. She knew it wasn't directed at her, but she had never seen such an anger. She took a moment to collect herself, her gaze meeting his once again as she registered what he was saying. "There is no way it was our men! They can't do that!" She could feel the heat of anger on her own face now. Llewen's men were good people, there is no way they would have ever done such a thing. "This reeks of foul play, I agree you need Landis. I have nothing to offer but being here for you."

Llewen Merrick

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Llewen Merrick
Llewen found his heart being softened by Tabitha once again as she claimed that there wasn't aught she could do for him but simply be here for him. While for him this was an issue of staking his claim in the world, and that even without his land he would still be a Paladin in service of the throne, and likely get to live a life in the royal court, maybe even be given land once again later, if he could pay off his dues... But Tabitha, and Derugonia, and Landis didn't have anywhere else to go. For them it was as if these lands were even more of a home than they were for Llewen, despite him growing up here. While her voice and touch did little to douse the roaring blaze in his heart, it did at least refocus his anger into a more useful sense of purpose. He took Tabitha's hand in his own, pulling it closer to himself.

"Your being here does more than you know, Tabitha," he said, smiling confidently. "They won't get away with this--I'll make sure of it. House Merrick will stand strong and rise above such a heinous threat. Yet I fear I cannot do this alone. I need you by my side while I do what I can--what I must--to ensure House Merrick's survival. I hope that you'll accept, despite the danger."

As he said this, he noticed not too far from them that Landis had seemingly returned from whatever he was doing. His steward was skeptical of the scene he watched, although Llewen was less ashamed of his affection for Tabitha than before and let go of her hand slowly and politely. He had no idea how Landis would react to the news, and given his past, he worried Landis might abandon them.

"Milord, 'tis good to see you again," Landis said, then looking to Tabitha, putting his fist to his chest and giving a slight bow. "You as well, milady."

"Landis,"
Llewen interjected. "Landis, something terrible has just happened. A man came, from House Galentor, claiming we had murdered their men, demanding reparations... at a rate of 50 gold per month."

Landis' eyes grew wide, then filled with the same fury Llewen's had moments prior. "Milord... this is unacceptable. And the charges were false?"

"Indeed,"
Llewen said. "Tabitha and I were riding when we found the bodies, no more than a day since they perished."

Landis scowled at this revelation. "So 'tis extortion. Honorless goats, the lot of them. I assume you told them nay?"

"Nay, rather I told them we would agree, but only in a week's time,"
Llewen said, as Landis' eyes narrowed. "I've a plan--we will travel, including to House Galentor itself, to gather enough evidence of the betrayal that we may present our case before Princess Helia, who will surely see the injustice and take action. And if at the end of the week naught happens, then we will pay the fine until such time that we can free ourselves. 'Twould not be the first time I was penniless."

"Milord..."
Landis said. "While I approve of your lordship's fast thinking, I must warn you, for House Galentor wert the House which ruined mine own."

"What?"

"'Tis true: now over Castle Talion flies the accursed tatzelwurm."

"Cretins!"

"Yes, milord--and it would seem House Galentor has only grown in strength and audacity since that time. Lord Galentor wert a hated enemy of your father and my House, and my surprise is small that he has returned now that your estate rises again to collect his 'dues'. But your lordship's plan is sound, and it seems a fine plan to go to Castle Galentor and do some skulking."

Llewen looked down, fidgeting as if trying to answer a difficult question. Finally, he looked back to Tabitha. "Tabitha, tell me--do you remember who took over your house? Do you know whose flag now flies over your home? If you do not remember... we should ride there, and find out for ourselves."

Landis seemed stunned by the revelation. "Pardon, milord?"

"Tabitha has hidden from us that she was a noble before I found her scrounging for scraps in the Mardalian streets,"
he said. "It would seem there is more to her than meets the eye, and her story would only help our cause further. Not one, but three noble houses are now victims of the tatzelwurm. And who knows--perhaps there are others who yet share our plight."

Llewen looked to the horses.

"We cannot waste any more time. We must ride for Tabitha's home, and then to House Galentor. We have only a week to make this right. We make ready at once."

His word was not that of the young, frightened boy, but those of a Lord: firm and commanding. And Landis began following it without question. He now looked to Tabitha, awaiting her response.

Tabitha Pamona

Tabitha smiled softly as he took her hand and brought it closer to him. Her eyes were soft and his still burned with righteous anger. She would be the calm in his storm, he needed it. She was terrified of losing yet another home, and her heart was breaking. Still, she stayed strong. She needed to for his sake, now was not the time for her to crumble.

Tabitha lifted her gaze to his as he spoke. She could feel her heart quicken with his words. She reached out and touched his cheek gently with her fingertips, just for a moment. With a small smile, she nodded. "I will go with you to the ends of the earth if I have to. Nothing could stop me from being by your side."

She followed his gaze as he gently released his hand from hers. Landis was back, and she felt a small heat on the back of her neck as he stared at the two of them in such an intimate moment. He approached the pair, greeting them respectfully. She returned his gesture with her own, though she was sure the man was burning with questions. "Well met, Landis." Here is where she fell silent. Many things needed to be spoken, and she would stay out of it until Llewen finished.

Tabitha's eyes widened as Landis revealed that it was the same house that had ruined his own estate. She could feel her own fury growing in her belly. Not only were they framing Llewen, but they had ruined Landis's home too. She looked to Llewen as he questioned her and she shook her head as she spoke. "I am unsure who took it over, but I agree we should go and find out." She spoke with a steady resolve as she met the eyes of both men.

With little hesitation, she walked to her stable boy, grabbed the reins and brought the steeds before both Landis and Llewen. "Let us not delay. There is work to be done, and we shall see it through to the end." She handed Spirit's reins to Landis, and looked to Llewen for confirmation. "I am with you. Until the end."
Llewen Merrick

• Cthuulove
As Tabitha spoke and then fetched the horses, he looked to her again. Her words found purchase and he found himself nodding, a faint red tinging his cheeks. No longer was she the starving street scavenger; in a few months time she was now a woman again, in both body and spirit. She was showing a tenacity and courage he'd never seen before, even despite the horrors they'd witnessed earlier. Yet what struck him more was the sudden announcement of her devotion to him, something that had him feeling all sorts of ways that were simultaneously unfamiliar, exciting, and terrifying. He wanted to pull her into an embrace and simply hold her until he could make sense of it all. Alas, now was not the time for a such a thing, and he steeled himself again.

"I would have you until that very end," Llewen said. "Tabitha--now would be a good time to tell us of your family--your name, your crest, and your castle. And, of course, where that castle is."

He mounted Rosemary, then offered Tabitha his hand. He waited until she was up to continue; the familiar feeling of her arms around him would feel especially comforting at a time like this.

"I do not wish to press you, but I would also hear more of your family, if 'tis not too painful to recall. I wish to know because..." he blushed suddenly, struggling to find the words for what he wanted to express. "Well, I suppose I simply wish to know more of you and your life before I found you there."

As Landis mounted Spirit, he and Llewen nodded to each other, and both urged their steeds onwards on the fateful road to Tabitha's former home.

Tabitha Pamona

• Cthuulove
Tabitha looked up at Llewen as he mounted Rosemary, her cheeks flushed with slight embarrassment from her own words. Still, he accepted them, and he agreed. It made her heart happy as she took his hand and swung easily up behind him. She could feel the slight shift in how they felt for each other, and it conflicted with her concern for what was happening. She was worried for her new home, her heart aching for the one she lost.

She pressed her cheek to Llewen's back as she sighed deeply. She had no qualms sharing her history, but it deepened the sadness in her heart. "It pains me to discuss it, but it is necessary." She swallowed and took another breath before continuing. "House Pamona, the mighty White Gryphon was our crest, and we were proud of it. We thought we were strong, we were wrong. My castle rests on the opposite side of Mardenia, in the vale. Though we make our way there, I find myself afraid to go Llewen. To see it again, it makes my heart break."

Tabitha held Llewen tighter, a few tears slipping past her lashes. "My father, Lord Bjorn.." She trailed off for a moment. "He was strong, and proud, and foolish. After my mother and brother died from sickness he took his own life. He was a coward for it." Her words were bitter, and her voice full of soft anguish. "I'm not sure what exactly you would like to know, but I will answer what questions you do have."

Llewen Merrick

• Cry
Llewen listened to Tabitha as they made their way up the road and began to leave Castle Merrick behind. The dangers of the old road lay ahead of them, but courage filled Llewen's heart as they all traveled together on what he could only really describe as a quest--perhaps the first one he'd ever undertaken for himself, as a knight of the realm, and his father's successor. Yet Tabitha's tale simultaneously filled him with a sense of sadness and remorse. His memories of his parents were mostly positive--it seemed things were more troubled for Tabitha, and he found himself reaching for her hand as she finished speaking of it, turning as much as he could to face her. Landis briefly interrupted the moment.

"The vale will take some time for us to reach. I think we will arrive in the dead of night, unless we stop somewhere else first--perhaps in the city. What is your command, Lord Llewen?"

"We ride straight for the castle of House Pamona; we do not have time to stop, much as I despise traveling in the night."

He gave Tabitha his attention again.

"It would seem we share a crest, for mine is that of the white Griffin as well. But those were the questions I wished answered, I believe. I can only offer condolence and a reminder that my home is now yours to share," he said. "Were you there when they happened? Did you witness such terrible things? And when did you flee to Mardal? I only ask because... well, some things seem as one, yet are another, and with this House Galentor... I only find myself questioning everything. It seems their very house itself is steeped in deception, with nary a thing about them you can trust. So brazen are they about it that they carry the emblem of a worm on their very banners. Villains, all of them!"

It was hard not to be angry about House Galentor, but it was that very anger which drove Llewen forward to protect his home and his people.

Tabitha Pamona

• Cry
Tabitha smiled sadly against Llewen's back as he took her hand. He was a comfort she never thought she'd have, and she was grateful for him. In truth, Castle Merrick wasn't her home. She had sat and reflected, and had come to the conclusion that Llewen was her home. She would do anything he asked of her and then some, still it was never anything she'd admit. There was a security and a happiness that he held for her, and she would cling to him as long as she could.

Landis interrupted their conversation briefly, Llewn making evident of the need for haste. "Yes, and it is our home that we need to protect so that it can stay that way." She paused as he questioned her and she took the time to answer each one carefully.

"I was there when it happened. When the gates fell, one of my father's men urged us to flee. My mother had kept us from seeing anything, concerned for our innocence I suppose. So we fled, leaving everything behind. We holed up in an old farmhouse, afraid to do anything lest we were tracked down and killed. It didn't matter, first the sickness took my mother. My brother followed shortly after. My father hung himself in the barn. After that, I made the trek to Mardal on foot by myself. I spent a long time there before you found me."

She sighed softly, trying to blink the bulging eyes of her father's haunted corpse from her mind. It had chased her in her dreams plenty, but bringing it up sent a new surge of horror and sadness. "We have to put an end to this Llewen, I'm counting on you. I have put all my faith in you. This can not stand." She wept silently, tears falling from her eyes as she clung to Llewen as if her life depended on it.

Llewen Merrick

• Cry
Her supportiveness, as always, was touching, even as she began to describe what must have been one of the worst moments of her life. He clutched her hand tighter as she began to go over the more distressing bits, wishing they could stop so that he might wrap her in a warm embrace and shield her from all the ills of the world. Yet it was Landis who would speak first after she shared her tale.

"Lord Llewen, if milady's story is correct, that means House Galentor may have invaded her castle mere months before now. If that is the case, then Galentor's reach is far, and its pockets are deep to fund such a long expedition just to take a castle. Yet it makes little sense; House Pamona's castle is in the vale, far from here, and Galentor surely wouldn't have the resources to garrison the keep from here. Perhaps it wasn't them. Yet I cannot shake the shadow of the wurm cast on it."

Llewen nodded. "I have little doubt it was Galentor as well, but you are right--what madness drove them to claim a castle so far from their own borders? To what end did they strike?"

It was a question that would gnaw at them for the rest of the trip, and if they didn't find out why at the castle itself, likely longer.

"Tabitha... I am sorry. But we will get to the root of this. I swear it. Your family's death will not have been in vain. House Merrick does not rest idly in the face of such. You have my word, that we will see this through to its very end."

The journey would be long, and they would make many stops along the way, but by nightfall they had reached the castle of House Pamona, where Landis lit a reluctant torch whose light was far insufficient to actually illuminate the forlorn fortress. Whatever the castle looked like, it would have to wait until the morning for them to actually see it; likewise, they would probably need to rest here, or somewhere close by, as the hour had grown late indeed, with the later moments of their journey being punctuated with yawns from the three of them. Landis remarked on the situation.

"There are no guards on station. It would seem the fortress is abandoned, or at the very least, that they have a very lax watch. Yet no lights flicker on the ramparts, nor in the keep... and if I were forced to guess, I would say the gate is open, too."

Llewen nodded. "'Tis an unwelcoming sight. I've never seen such a castle so empty and dark."

Landis grew silent as they drew nearer, across a bridge over the castle's moat and to the gate which, as prophesied, was open. Even now, Landis' torch was scant lighting and they could see no more than perhaps a few arm's lengths around them. Only the contrast of the moonlit sky gave away the position of the keep itself. As they passed through the courtyard, there was a general sense of emptiness which pervaded the scene--only abandoned buildings seemed to be visible so far in the courtyard. Finally, however, they would reach the keep itself. There they could dismount and place their horses in the stables, who after such a long ride doubtless needed the rest. Landis lit a few more torches, and handed them to Llewen and Tabitha.

"I know we are exhausted, but we should check the keep first for anyone or anything that might reside here. I would find it most curious indeed if no one had taken up residence inside an abandoned fortress, and furthermore, House Galentor might be hiding something here."

The search would take roughly an hour, through rooms and hallways and up and down flights of stairs through the inky dark. At the end of it, Landis seemed satisfied that none of the rooms appeared to have been inhabited, at least not that they could tell in the dim torchlight.

"On the second floor it seemed that there were some abandoned living quarters we might make use of. A grim thought, but it's either we rest in locked rooms or in the dark by firelight outside. I will light a few more torches to give us a solid hallway light at least. I will keep watch when I awaken, as well--I never can sleep well in these places. It reminds me too much of home."

With his sorrowful sentiment, the three made their way down to the living quarters of the second floor. As they prepared to go to their respective rooms, Llewen place his hand on Tabitha's shoulder, giving her a knowing and concerned look.

"Are you alright?" He asked. "I've grown too tired to speak, but know that Landis and I will keep you safe from any nightly terror. Sleep will help us overcome whatever we discover tomorrow about your home. Goodnight, Tabitha."

Llewen went to his room and dressed down out of his armor into the comfortable undergarments beneath. He moved the blankets off his bed and replaced them with his own bedroll, fresh and dry despite the long journey. Yet as what felt like hours passed, he couldn't sleep despite his exhaustion. He wondered if, perhaps, Tabitha was experiencing something similar, so he slowly stood up, stretching as he rose to his feet, and went to the hallway, leaving his door slightly cracked open. Then he went to Tabitha's door, opening it slightly and peeking in to make sure he had the right room, then entered, uttering softly:

"Tabitha? Are you awake?"

• Cthuulove
Llewen's hand on her own was a steady reassurance. She wanted nothing more than to forget what happened to her family, it was painful and sad. Still, Llewen had the right to know what had transpired that led her to the path he had found her on. Silence followed her words for a moment, Landis being the first one to speak. Tabitha remained quiet, wrapped in her sadness, her fury. There was a spark of hatred in her belly that had begun to grow. First her family was harmed, Landis too felt the destruction of losing his home. She'd be damned if Llewen would suffer as they had.

"Maybe House Galentor has much bigger plans than we initially thought. Maybe there is more to this than just power and extortion. I have no doubt we will find out exactly what they are after, and I won't rest until we put an end to it."

Tabitha squeezed his hand back tightly, her eyes holding a steely fierceness she'd never possessed before. She was dedicated to Llewen and his cause, and no matter what she would be by his side. "I don't care about retribution, I only want it to end. I do not want another house to suffer because of some power hungry coward of a noble."

She fell silent again, her piece spoken for now. There was an anger boiling under the surface, and it made her restless as they rode. Little more was spoken until they drew nearer to her home. Darkness fell like a blanket over them, even the stars refusing to shine. It was fitting, considering the tragedy. Landis spoke, startling Tabitha out of a silent reverie. She kept her gaze forward, to home. Knots formed in her stomach, and her chest was tight.

The gate was still torn asunder, as it had been when they fled. She took a shaky breath to steady herself, her hands shaking at the memory. They approached the stables, and she and Landis prepared the horses to be bedded down. She sighed softly, touching a carved beam as she passed. Initials were carved into it, her first friend Peytr the stableboy.

Tabitha took the offered torch from Landis, her hand gripping the wood tightly. Her face was pale, her breath shaky. It was if she could feel the ghosts of her people around every corner. She nodded to Landis in agreement, and they all struck off to search the building. In every room there awaited her a memory. Chasing her brother down the hall and into the kitchen, bothering Walter the cook for extra treats.

The room that made her pause the most, was her own. She paced the length of the room, touching the cold stone walls, the curtains, her old hairbrush layered with dust. She crumbled here, for a moment. Sobs left her in waves, echoing softly in the empty room. After a time, she snapped her self out of it. She wiped her eyes, her nose, and with the greatest strength she had ever possessed, she walked away.

Shortly after, she met up with Llewen and Landis. It seemed they were satisfied with the castle and it's contents. She simply nodded in agreement, the torchlight falling across her delicate features. Llewen reached for her shoulder, the concern in his eyes making her want to melt into him.

She searched his eyes for a moment in the dim light, and then smiled at him. She shoved her pain aside for him, he didn't need to see it. "I'm alright, I know you and Landis will do everything in your power to keep us safe." She touched Llewen's cheek softly for a moment, letting her hand drop back down. "Goodnight Llewen, we will talk more in the morning."

Tabitha went to the room Landis had chosen for her. It was an old maid's quarters. No memories for her here to dwell on, she was grateful for it. She deftly stripped the bed, pulling her own bedroll out and placing it neatly. She crawled into bed, but no matter how she tried, sleep would not find her.

After what seemed like hours, she sat upright as her door creaked. Her heart began to race, a panic filling her. She went to call out when the quiet voice of Llewen filled her ears. With a quiet sigh of relief, she answered him softly. "I'm awake. I'm here."

Even in the room the torchlight gave them only a shadowy light to see each other. Llewen could make out a chair in the dark, and, minding his manners, took a seat. Her voice was relieving to hear, and he could make out her form in the shadows, sitting upright. He admitted to himself that there was an inviting aura around her--something about seeing her in a bed invoked a feeling he found himself trying to cast off, similar to when she'd helped him bathe before.

"I couldn't sleep," he said. "The weight of all of this, the grand design of the conspiracy--it is too much for me to simply sleep. Yet I know in the morning I will yearn for rest as we take to the road again. That, and... there could be something here in this castle we cannot see for the shroud of night over the castle itself. Moreover... I know this is your home, and I thought that you must be feeling something too for returning to it."

He found himself scanning her form in the dark, what features he could make out. Her eyes reflected the faint torchlight and he could see one of her delicate hands propping herself up. The urge to go over to her grew stronger, but he yet resisted.

"I know it must be difficult for you... and I wondered if you might feel dreadfully lonely because of it. When I think of my parents, I feel that unbearable isolation, and the many years I spent with no real family of my own... Now, at least... I suppose I at least have you. Landis, too, but my heart and yours seem to have some inimitable bond that I cannot quite describe with words," he said, finishing the statement with a gentle chuckle.

"So, Tabitha... if you want, you needn't be alone tonight. I will stay here with you. 'Tis the least I could do for you."

Tabitha watched as Llewen's shadow entered the room. She had only relaxed once she knew it was truly him. He sat quietly in a chair a fair distance from her, and she wished for the space between them to close. She propped herself up and searched for his face in the dim light. The silence between the two stretched for what seemed like eternity, until Llewn finally spoke.

Tabitha felt similar to him, the weight of the problem weighing on them all. It was a heavy burden that he shouldered, and for someone so young. It seemed they both had to grow up rather quickly, and the thought of it made her lip tremble.

"I too have struggled to find my rest. It feels like I'm sleeping in a tomb. I have memories hidden around every corner and I'm haunted by them. Still, I know how important this mission is. When morning comes, we will find the answers we seek. Until then, there is naught for us to do but sit and wonder."

Her heart was torn in two directions. One to wallow in her own grief, one full of a desire for Llewen to be closer to her. She wanted the ghosts of her past to vanish, wanted only to focus on the living man in front of her. Her pulse quickened as he brought up the bond they had both been trying to ignore. She could feel a small panic, worried that he may think less of her.

"Llewen, I would love nothing more than to have your company this night. You bring me a comfort that cannot be explained. I would like.." She paused, her breath catching in her throat. What she was about to ask was forward, but she sought his company desperately. "Will you come lay with me, Llewen?"

Llewen Merrick

His heart skipped a beat as she asked him so plainly that she wanted his company; in his mind, he'd only meant to keep her company, talk to her, and pass the time. It seemed she wanted his company, though, and he reluctantly got up from the chair as his cheeks flushed. There in the dark, her allure was certain, and he scanned her features again as he grew close to her--her hips, her lips, and her eyes that almost shimmered in the shadows. There was so much evil around them, in their lives, that he wondered if at this moment it might perhaps be a dream, or if this Tabitha were an apparition that would disappear at his faintest touch.

He wasn't sure what to do at first when he neared her, but his eyes met hers and almost at once he felt magnetized. He leaned closer to her, taking her cheek in his palm and using it to pull her in gently for a deep, longing kiss. Truthfully, he hadn't known exactly what she meant, but they would have the rest of the deep hours of the night to come to some sort of understanding...

Last edited:
  • Ctuhlu senpai
Llewen awoke the following morning to a slight chill that left him confused, and a bit disoriented. What had happened the night before with Tabitha was more than he'd expected, their feelings having bubbled over to something far more passionate than he'd anticipated, but now, it was the morning, and they'd have to deal with the consequences.

And it was then he realized she was gone. Not in the room, not in the bed next to him, but missing entirely. He tried not to panic, at first thinking perhaps she'd gone to investigate the castle, but it wasn't like her to go completely missing like this without saying something. Llewen suspected foul play, and immediately got up, put his clothes back on, and headed to his room to finish gearing up. He then went and fetched Landis, who he explained the situation to, and, who was also similarly concerned with her situation. They started searching the castle high and low together, every room they could find, trying to find her--even peeking in former bathrooms to see if she'd simply looked for a morning dip. Alas, no luck.

Finally, after what felt like hours of searching, Llewen turned to Landis, exasperated.

"Do you suppose she's been kidnapped?" he asked, catching his breath.

"I don't know, my lord."

There was a long quiet in the castle, the two knights out of breath and still looking here and there in a nervous panic. Where the hell was she?

Tabitha slowly opened her eyes, the cooing of the pigeons in the rafters greeting her ears. As she slowly awakened, the huff of Spirit's breath on her cheek as he nibbled her hair making a sleepy smile form on her lips. "Good morning Spirit, I suppose you're hungry huh?" She sat up slowly, stretching patting Spirit's cheek before getting to her feet.

Spirit followed suit, shaking the dust from his body as he neighed, almost sounding like laughter as she pulled straw from her hair. Tabitha opened the stall, closing the door quickly before Spirit could follow. He let out a disgruntled neigh, not keen on losing her company. Tabitha had grown close to the horses, they loved her and she them.

She quietly got Spirit's grain ready, humming softly as she did. She hung the bag up for him, and he began to munch quietly. Rosemary was next, and she could already hear her best girl knocking around impatiently. Tabitha laughed softly, hanging Rosemary's bag up for her, giving her a pat. "Alright you two, behave. I have work to do."

Tabitha had no clue the two knights were nearly in a panic in their search for her. She thought of her night with Llewen and smiled softly to herself as she crossed the courtyard and reached the door to the castle unhindered. She opened the door, and slid inside. She had no doubt the two men were hungry, and she'd take care of that too.

Llewen Merrick

• Haha
Tired from having explored every inch of the broken stone fortifications, Llewen and Landis made their way to the main hall near the courtyard, resting their now-weary feet at last. The chairs were dusty, and only a few weren't broken among the few that remained, which painted an unfortunate portrait of the fallen glory of Castle Pamona. Llewen put his hands in his head, as Landis spoke.

"My lord, these types of places are often haunted. It's possible she was taken by a spirit. We should gather our things and leave at once."

Llewen looked over to Landis with an incredulous expression. "Spirits? Forgive me, Landis, but I didn't think you the superstitious type."

"Not so, my lord, but if the Lady Pamona's family and house were extinguished here, that matches the type of thing that might cause enraged spirits to rise from their graves..."

"While not impossible Landis, I should think such spirits would have shown themselves by now..."

Llewen sighed. He dared not tell the knight of his intimacy with Tabitha the night before out of a boyish embarrassment more than anything, yet he knew Landis had at least picked up on their growing affections towards one another. Expressing some concern wouldn't hurt, he supposed.

"I suppose you're right. But I... I would be remiss if I did not at least spend more time looking for her. She is dear to me, and has been since I rescued her from a street in the capitol. It would pain me greatly to have done so much to give her life again, only to see it snuffed out by that which is already dead, and with no chance for me to regain my honor from her loss..."

Landis nodded silently, understanding the knight's path was not an easy one to walk for those who wished to keep their honor--and was one Landis himself could no longer walk after losing everything himself. Llewen suspected he must have had a softness for Tabitha as well, given that the two of them had both lost so much and in such similar circumstances; it seemed almost too much to be a coincidence, but Llewen also knew the rise and fall of houses was a common occurrence in these lands, unfortunately.

For now, Llewen rested his elbows on his thighs and placed his chin into his hands, peering out into the battered stone around them, wondering what fate had befallen Tabitha. He supposed he should have broken down into tears, but such loss was familiar to him, and seemed to only make sense to him given his history; if the sword or the princess's wrath did not destroy him and his line, it seemed his lack of an heir might eventually catch up with him too, a thought which left him particularly vexed...

• Cry
A soft hum escaped Tabitha’s full lips and she walked softly across the stone floor of a castle she had once called home. She paused for a moment, breathing in the stagnant air, the hum dying on her lips. Tabitha had spent much of her time trying to avoid the slumbering grief that was buried in her heart. She tried to remain detached, and the distraction of Llewen was welcome to her.

Tabitha took a deep breath, pushing her grief down even further. She would not crumble underneath the weight of it, not until it was quiet and she was alone and far from here. She tried to avoid the stains that still marked the walls, the floor. That was all they were. Stains. She made a left turn and stopped short.

In front of her was seated a very weary looking Llewen and his steadfast companion Landis. Tabitha blinked in confusion and then smiled happily at the two men, her eyes lighting up as she met Llewen's, her smile deepening.

"Well, good morning you two. I didn't think I'd stumble into you like this. Why do you look so weary? Is everything alright? Is there anything I can get you?" There was still confusion on her face, but also a happiness in seeing two of her favorite people.

Llewen Merrick

It would be Landis who first noticed the return of Llewen's paramour, his head snapping to see the young woman re-entering the room as the sound of her shoes tapping against the floor echoed throughout the derelict castle.

"Milord," he said, getting Llewen's attention.

Llewen looked up, noticing but scarcely believing what was before his eyes. He stood up slowly, reaching out his hand as if to confirm that she existed, when suddenly she spoke as if nothing were wrong, as if the two of them hadn't scoured the castle looking for her only to be met with the nothingness that pervaded the abandoned structure.

Slowly, he started walking towards her, until finally he was close enough to wrap her in a tight embrace. His voice was shaky as he finally spoke: "We thought we'd lost you," he said. He held her in his arms for a few minutes in silence, fighting tears as he realized just how close he'd grown to Tabitha, and just how devastated he would be now at her loss. Finally, he pulled his head back, keeping his arms around her.

"We searched the entire castle, every stair and room for you, and found naught. Landis was beginning to think you had been taken by a spirit, and by the gods above I thought he may have been right. But he was blessedly wrong, and now you're here again."

Landis interjected. "While his lordship's sentiment is touching..." he said, holding his stomach. "I have worked up more than a little bit of an appetite. What say we finally eat, then leave this forgotten place behind us?"

Llewen let go of Tabitha, nodding sheepishly in agreement.

Tabitha Pamona