Private Tales Quiet Days Interrupted By Unclear Skies

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Signe Lusce

The Sublime
Character Biography
Link
It was quiet in the manor owned by the kind duanann Ce-something-hard-to-pronounce-unless-she-twisted-her-tongue-a-certain-way. With winter a blink away, the manor in Winter Court was already sporting soft gray clouds that covered the pale blue sky. It was raining more often than when they had first arrived, and in the morning they would awake to the sight of their breath before their face.

Every day it was getting harder to leave the coaxing warmth underneath blankets. No matter how fast Signe hurried to dress herself the chill would immediately stretch itself over her skin and suck out any heat it could find. It made her appreciate the warmer days, to even think fondly of Autumn as freckled skin gave way to gooseflesh. The cold was also reminiscent of home and the harsh winters in Night Court.

She wondered if her siblings thought often of Alfheimr. It was in the crisp early mornings that the frigid air could make Signe imagine all the ice and crystals and frothy waters that would have broken sheets of ice crash into each other. Signe had been rather sad when they had moved to Unnuaq over two-hundred-and-fifty years ago. Unnuaq may have had better weather than Alfheimr but the storm giants were prone to making a fuss and causing screaming winds with window-shaking storms.

It had been much easier to sneak around during one of those fearsome storms.

Tiptoeing into Seryn’s room, Signe peeked over her shoulder to make sure she hadn’t been noticed. The quiet was ever present, the sort of quiet that pervaded throughout the whole estate so that every squeak of an old board sounded like a scream. Signe had made sure that Seryn was in the living room instead of the drawing room as it was further from the staircase that lead up to the bedrooms upstairs. Even though Seryn’s room was closer to the staircase, Signe had her fingers crossed that the new embroidery project was enough to keep her sister from hearing her erratic heart beat.

She was glad that all her efforts with dance, and the secret soon-to-be ballet, had granted her the ability to focus all her weight on one toe if she desired. Did it hurt? Of course it did without the block in her pointe shoes, but she really, really, really needed that pink lip oil that Seryn was always hiding from her. While Signe didn’t care for the color pink, this lip oil was special.

It was Seryn’s and it was Signe’s right as the younger sister to take what the older sister had. Whether it was a pair of cashmere socks or the vanilla-scented lip oil, all of it technically could be used by Signe. It was the way of the world that the Lusce sisters lived in. Even if Signe would get mad when Siobhan and Sybil enacted those rights on her— with only Sybil being immune to sisters borrowing her belongings— there was some sort of helplessness that would befall on her and let the younger ones get away with it.

It was why she felt little guilt when she began to search through Seryn’s room. There wasn’t much to go through as Seryn was rather neat and tidy despite the plethora of jewelry and clothing she owned. Signe only tended to be neat because she hated holding onto things that no longer suited her. Funny how that concept didn’t apply to her pining for home.

She opened up one of the jewelry boxes, looking through the collection of floral bracelets and earrings before going onto the next. More floral-themed jewelry. Some simple jewelry in another. Another with an assortment of gems in the shape of flowers on various hairpins that Signe was intimately familiar with when she put Seryn’s hair up. The last box had to have the lip oil. Signe knew it to be Seryn’s special box.

She wasn’t allowed to open it but she had plenty of times before. Seryn always ended up forgiving her in the end. And Signe knew with every fiber of her being that that particular lip oil was in there! So with little caution, she opened the box and pried off the velvet shelf that hid underneath all the good stuff. Signe had excepted to see the cherry blossom pink vial and the usual keepsakes, but instead she found a stack of letters. She saw Saang’s name.

Had Seryn been writing letters to Saang? Signe’s copper brows furrowed together, lips dipping into a frown. Seryn hadn’t told her of any correspondence with Saang. A hollow feeling came about her midsection as her stomach seemed to plummet into an abyss. Was something the matter? Had something happened that had to be kept from the other sisters? Was Saang injured? Their father dead? Mother harmed? Why wouldn’t Seryn tell her of these letters that Saang had sent? She opened the letter, recognizing Saang’s neat handwriting. She skimmed over the words quickly.

Her heart beat faster. She felt her face get red. She looked at the next letter, expecting Saang’s name once more but read a sloppy scrawl of the name Paetr. Without caring of the consequences, she opened this letter, skimming the words and confirming what Saang’s letter had said. There were more letters. She could stop here but… she couldn’t. Her hands moved almost on their own, her morbid curiosity getting the best of her. Signe went through every single letter, realizing that she was going backwards in time with the romance between her sister and the Night Court Lordling Paetr. Saang’s letters being brief intermissions in the building hurt growing in her chest.

Signe inhaled deeply, gritting her teeth as she held her breath. Tears didn’t threaten to spill just yet, even at the torrent of emotions that battled for the chance to control the dancer’s mind. Outrage won and Signe exhaled. All the other feelings, the betrayal, the confusion, the anger, the joy, the nervousness, the sadness, the bitterness, the practical patience— all of it took a step back, letting this fiery indignation come to center stage.

SERYN! Signe shouted, clutching the bundle of letters and wrinkling the paper. She softened her grip when she heard herself crumpling the papers, not wanting to ruin her evidence. Instead, her desire to move, to do something, went to her feet as she began to stomp down the stairs, letting everyone in the house know she was upset and she meant business. “HOW COULD YOU HIDE YOUR BoYfRiEnD FROM ME?!”

Seryn Lusce Siobhan Lusce Sybil Lusce

Last edited:
SERYN!

She stiffened. From where she sat in the smaller sitting room, she could jear tue shrill voice of Signe.
“HOW COULD YOU HIDE YOUR BoYfRiEnD FROM ME?!”

Her stomach dropped. Panic began to set in, and then the words began reaching her mind. She had been sitting in this room working on embroidering a veil for some noble bride, almost done the section of florals before Signe screamed for the whole house to hear.

It took considerable skill gor her to set aside everything without making a mess and dash for the doors, her own scream ready at her throat but once her eyes fell on her sister, letters in hand, Seryn froze.

"SIGNE."

Signe Lusce
Siobhan Lusce
Sybil Lusce

On any ordinary day, the scream-shouting of her overly sensitive sister would have brought a smile to her face. Too sensitive. Too naïve. Far too easy to trick with a helping hand from Sybil, the little one who could do no wrong. Perhaps that was the problem right there, for Sybil was sitting next to Siobhan…and the name she shouted was neither of theirs.

SERYN!

A brow raised in the direction of Seryn. A mischievous grin followed.

“A boyfriend?” The second youngest joined in the mad dash towards Signe and,of course, she made it there first. She snatched two letters from the handful and scanned the first. “Who the fuck's Paetr?” She tossed the other in Sybil’s direction, not entirely sure if the runt knew how to read yet.

Last edited:
Ianthe let out a string of curses that would have made a Nordenwiir blush as the raised voices roused her from her heady dream. It was hard to discern many words amongst the high pitched caterwauling other than 'boyfriend' and 'Paetr' but it did not take a genius, nor even someone without a hangover, to guess what the latest Lusce fight was about to be over.

Rolling her eyes Ianthe rolled back over, grabbing a pillow and yanking it down over her head and sensitive ears.

"Saang should have just let me geld the fucker," she muttered and tried to go back to sleep.

Sybil had been minding her own business, plotting new ways to sneak out and train some more with the Red Guard. They were everything she desired to be and sword training was vital for her to learn and master if she wanted to join their ranks one day. She had had to keep most of herself covered to hide the bruises, but she didn't wear frilly things like her sisters did anyways, they pretty much expected it from her at this point.

Sybil was quick to jump from her spot beside Siobahn, though it hadn't been her name being called, the urge to keep her sisters safe (even though she was the youngest) made her worry over the shrillness of Signe. She followed Siobahn closely as they both rushed to their shrieking sister.

Siobahn tossed her a letter, and Sybil raised an eyebrow as she skimmed. It wasn't long before they were joined by the sister in question, and she could feel her sisters collectively stare Seryn down as she entered. "I could set him on fire and solve the problem." She muttered under her breath as worry tugged at her.

Seryn Lusce
Siobhan Lusce
Signe Lusce

Signe was quick to snatch the stolen letters back from Siobhan and Sybil, as if these letters belonged to her. Her face had twisted into something unlike her, seething and striking— a primordial predilection only found in fire, and, right now, Signe embodied it. It couldn’t be seen but it was felt; a sizzle in the air, static in one’s hair, even the first bead of sweat upon skin laid bare.

The problem,” Signe said, pointing at Seryn with a free hand, “has nothing to do with this man.” She spat the word out as if it had been a poison that sullied her gut for too long. “It’s everything to do with you abandoning us! When did you think of telling us, Seryn? Would it be face to face or would you have just sent a letter to tell us of your marriage? Maybe you wouldn’t have told us at all and let Saang inform us the next time we see him in a bazillion years!” With the final shout, she threw the letters towards Seryn, letting the paper glide along the air until falling to the ground beneath them.

Seryn Lusce Siobhan Lusce Sybil Lusce Ianthe

Heartache tore through Seryn. To see her dearest sister in such a state, to speak with such venom towards her... it was no wonder the tears werd quick to spring in her eyes.

"Signe, I wanted to tell you once Father gave his blessing for this match. I did not want to get your hopes up, or mine, if word does not come through." She felt pathetic crouching down to pick up the letters that scattered. "I do not want to leave any of you, but what is there for me here? I am not happy here, but I must bear it all the same."

Seryn stood, glancing to each of her sisters. She was the kindhearted sister, the one with patience and love for her family. The sister that looked out for the rest after they came here to the Winter Court... Seryn was too busy making her sisters happy that she forgot what made her happy anymore...

Until the dance for Autumn's Hunt. With Paetr. Her heart never faltered under the gaze of such a man, and Seryn had danced with plenty in her life.

Paetr made her happy, and the correspondence between them in her hands were proof of it.

"I cannot afford breaking statues and being a child in front of a King's Court, Signe. We are Lusces! We have a duty to this family. It would make Saang happy to see us happy, and I am most certainly not here. I miss home!" Seryn wiped angrily at the silver tracks down her cheeks, but the tears kept falling from her green eyes. How cruel of Signe! To go through her things and make such an ugly scene.

She could not bear to see her sisters at that moment, too distraught at what Signe ruined. Seryn pushed off her feet and towards the back doors that opened to the gardens at the rear of the property. Knowing Signe would not let her get away, Seryn hurried her steps into a light run and hid from view. The letters were crumpled but that did not matter. Her hand rose and clutched at the coin she had fashioned into a necklace, the same coin Paetr had sent her with his first letter.

All she could think about was screaming, to pierce her voice into her sister's head and make her hear the hurt Seryn now felt.

Siobhan Lusce
Sybil Lusce
Ianthe
Signe Lusce

Siobhan tugged at the youngest Lusce's sleeve, leaning closer but making little attempt to quiet her voice. "We can't just kill him, you idiot." Her wicked grin opposed her words. The little one was, perhaps, full of good ideas. She pocketed her letter as she did with her emotions unlike Signe who was all but hyperventilating at the thought of her sister corresponding with someone of the opposite sex.

"Seryn. Do you think we are happy here?" She shouted after Seryn, gesturing to Sybil and herself. "This was not a choice afforded to us and aside from Signe, who could find enjoyment with an empty box, we too miss our home. Not everything is about you!"

Sybil was trying very, very hard to not roll her eyes at her older sisters. They were so absolutely dramatic, and she couldn't believe she was even related to them sometimes. She allowed Signe to tear the letters from her hand, her interest in them not nearly as evident as her sister.

Sybil had never seen Signe's face turn so vehemently angry, and unpretty. It was unnatural, and even Sybil was taken aback by the sudden mood shift. She could see the tears welling up in Seryn's eyes and she sighed as she looked at Siobhan. Siobhan was more like her, and she appreciated the fact hat she didn't fall apart with the brush of a stiff breeze like her older siblings.

"We better go after the two of them, Signe looks like she's about to rip Seryn's throat out. Not that they seem to realize we exist." She rolled her eyes and grabbed her sister's hand as she pulled her with to catch up to the other two redheaded girls. Imagine if they found out she had been training with real soldiers, that would really get everyone going.

Nostrils flared at the backhanded comments about her behavior in Autumn Court. While Signe couldn’t deny that she had behaved poorly, that it was really all her fault, she did think she had made up for it by being a statue for a month: constantly hungry and thirsty, sore and strained from her beautiful but painful pose, and with nothing but her own thoughts to keep her company.

If it were for the blonde Luella, Signe might have gone crazy.

You can’t leave us behind!” Signe shouted, running after Seryn. It was true, she didn’t think much about Siobhan and Sybil in that moment. How could she? They were still stuck in Winter Court with her, without boyfriends and suitors to whisk them away and back to Night Court. “You can’t leave me!” Signe insisted, glad that Seryn had such little legs and she, out of all her sisters, happened to be the tallest— even if it was only average height for a female duannan, Signe surely had the upper hand when it came to running.

That is, she would have if it weren’t for her heavy skirts, and the thick blanket of snow that had her feet sinking so low she had to march about as she held up her stupid skirts.

No wonder why Ianthe had made such an egregious slit in her dress.

What a fiendish girl! Came the thought Seryn had to say about Signe as she gave chase.

Seryn knew she would catch up to the smaller Duannan easily, and so as to keep in control of herself, and her hurt, she wheeled around and fixed her sister with a deathly glare. It contorted her facade, one that had been crafted and groomed to be soft and pretty. Seryn had no recollection of where the poison that saturated her tongue had come from, but she spoke with it's toxicity.

"Leave you?" She laughed derisively. "The very sister that would not leave me a moment of peace? The sister that snoops in my room and through my things? The sister who did not think of how I would feel, how Saang would feel after being so foolish at the Autumn Court's Hunt! That sister I will happily leave behind! Clearly you are too wild to go back home with me, Signe." Seryn would have begged Paetr or Saang to take Signe with her, but she knew none of her sisters would conform to the changing rules of the Night Court.

Seryn fashioned herself to be perfect in every way, and she knew she would be the best one to survive a life in the Night Court out of all her sisters.

Out of all the Winter Court suitors she had met, none made her heart flutter like Lord Paetr did.

Siobhan Lusce
Sybil Lusce
Signe Lusce
Saang Lusce

"No, wait." Siobhan quick to resist Sybil's pulling and made no attempt to chase after her favorite narcissist and her favorite exhibitionist. Her smile never leaving her face as she quickly tacked on, "Let them fight it out. They'll tire themselves out eventually and besides, I think a good show is in order."

She then allowed herself to be dragged along towards the gardens. It wasn't as though there were a distinct lack of Lusce sisters to go around. In the event that one disappeared, there were three more hiding in the cracks of the walls somewhere in this big manor. Though it was rather unfortunate, Siobhan thought, that had her or Sybil been at each other's throat no one would bat an eye. (Then again, the pair of them could really get into it with how mischievous they could be and so that was not out of the ordinary for their pranks to end in a screaming match...) It only happened to be that the most obnoxious of the Lusces were currently having a combined meltdown.

She looked over the scene for a moment before she leaned back down, whispering in Sybil's ear and pulling out out a handful of coins. Useless as they were here, if an opportunity for betting arose then Siobhan would seize it. "I think Seryn's got this one." Naïve girl was going to send Signe into an early grave if she continued this affair.

Sybil paused to look at her sister as she was quick to tug Sybil to a stop. Siobhan was being absolutely devilish, and Sybil could feel a grin slink across her face. "You're right, it'll be good for them to get it out of their systems, though I think they are being ridiculous." With that, the two followed Seryn and Signe to the garden, though at a bit of a distance to avoid friendly fire.

Signe didn't want to be left behind, but Seryn was apparently in love or whatever. Sybil worried about her sisters, but she was certain that if needed, Saang would come. He wouldn't let the family fall apart, would he? And why on earth would Seryn want to go back to the night court. Saang and their mother had worked so hard to get them out? Maybe Sybil just didn't know everything, and that itself was troubling to the young fae.

She brought herself back to the present as Siobhan brought forth some coins, smiling as they clinked together. "I dunno, I've never seen Signe so reactive, she might have something up her sleeve. You're on." She gave her sister a mischievous grin, pulling her own coins out as the two observed.

Steam rose high into the chilly air as the snow around Signe began to melt, from slush to slurry to nothing more than a puddle. The hem of Signe’s heavy skirts were soon sullied by dirt and mud but she cared little for it. As Seryn spun towards her, spat venomous words to sting Signe’s heart until her face was as red as their familial hair, all Signe could do was curl her hands into tight fists.

One stomp, another stomp, and soon Signe was marching right up to Seryn. A wet, brown stream of melted snow and dirt followed behind the wrathful duannan. One fist was released from its tight hold, now open and flat and ready to strike. Signe raised it but no blow would come.

Even now, at her angriest, she couldn’t slap Seryn, even if she felt like Seryn deserved, even if Seryn’s words had wounded her, even if Seryn was resolute in leaving Signe behind.

Fae couldn’t lie. In this moment, Signe knew everything that Seryn had said was true.

Then you’ve divided the family,” Signe said, lower lip quivering for a moment as her voice wobbled. She steeled herself, another inhale of the air that was no longer crisp but a mixture of dank petrichor and bitter smoke. “At least I returned home, changed but whole. You returned home, seemingly unchanged, but without a heart— pining after some pasty, smug, boorish man who doesn’t even know how to spell his name right! Just what you deserve!

• Sip
Reactions: Sybil Lusce
"I deserve to be happy, Signe!" Seryn seethed.

"You may not find him perfect, but I do! I do, Signe! The same for Saang. Our brother introduced us, and you cannot stand not being paraded around before others by Saang!" Signe, the dancer that garnered so much attention, and Seryn waited in the shadows of the wings, watching.

The manor was now stifling, the gardens too. Even watching as three of her sisters had followed her out, such a sight filled with red... Seryn felt pure and incensed rage.
"You divided this sistership, Signe! Broke my trust and made me feel as if I should be guilty to have fallen in love when you never will!"

Siobhan Lusce Sybil Lusce Signe Lusce