Private Tales Potion seller

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Lilette Blackbriar

ᴛʜᴇ ʙʟᴀᴄᴋ ᴋɴɪɢʜᴛ
Character Biography
Link
proxy.php
Only the feintest dregs of sunlight filtered through the dark curtains of the room, illuminating a small booklet as Lilette scrawled more notes at her desk. Most of these had simply been stuck to the final pages where the most empty space could be found, forming a chaotic cloak of paper scraps like molting feathers, each summarizing another failed experiment or hypophysis with results yet to be seen.

The cruel irony was that she had all the time in the world, yet looking at the disorganized papers made her feel so impatient. Anxious, even.

Thankfully the other sisters of her local convent had stopped asking questions about her writing since her arrival quite some time ago. Though she was certainly an oddity here, new and uncanny in her own way, they had come to accept her word that she was indeed a doctor and alchemist here to study a peculiar disease and help those she could. This was in part due to her efforts to keep up appearances, such as treating the sick and injured with the concoctions she had learned to brew while studying in The Bimaristan.

Gods knew there were plenty to treat now, Given The Empire's recent unrest.

It certainly kept her busy these days, but it lent credit to her guise by day so that she may continue her work without suspicion by night. Now she was somewhat known in this district of the city, and even among some circles of adventurers or mercenaries who frequented the land, as her services cost little them little, provided one was willing to humor her peculiar requests. Blood samples were a common one, though typically asked of patients who were bleeding to begin with. Another was information, usually of one's travels and experiences, or sometimes news. Though some days, her questions were of a specific condition which none had encountered so far.

Liadrin

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Liadrin
Pain was a sensation that Liadrin had grown used to, but, at times even that had become too much for her. To those that passed her by, she seemed...out of sorts. Her veins across her neck and arm pulsed blue, the Kavosh had pushed herself too far this day. Her magic was not the sort to be tested. Several hours prior, she had pushed the limit on what she could do. Attempting to create wards, wanting desperately to find a way to control her power more directly.

Now, she staggered forward, leaving droplets of blood, from the puncture wound along her arm and chest, her face streaked with a thin veil of crimson. Teeth gritted as she continued on.

She limped forward, passersby eyeing her with a degree of confusion and disgust. Yet she paid them no heed. Until, of course, she had fallen face down upon the ground. Her body finally gave out from the damage she had done.

Some poor soul must have taken pity on her. An unknown hand helped her to her feet, and gently informed her where a healer could be found for her plight.

It was then that the bloodied and injured woman stumbled through the potion shop, her good hand clutching tightly to the coin pouch on her belt. The several swords across her back clanked together, as she was hunched over, visible discomfort on her face as she began to limp towards the counter. "Potions...please...."

Lilette Blackbriar

• Gasp
Reactions: Lilette Blackbriar
The shop itself was more like a repurposed storage room that had been leant to her by the other sisters of the convent, though thankfully it opened from outside the priory as well, allowing Liadrin to enter with a degree of privacy.

"Please make thyself known before-"
"Potions...please...."

"By the moons...!" Lilette gasped as the woman nearly fell through the doorway.

The notebook was quickly slammed shut and safely stowed in the desk drawer behind lock and key, allowing her to leave the desk and guide her newest patient to a nearby cot set up for similar occasions. If allowed, she would act as a crutch for the woman to lean on, being surprisingly strong for one her size.

The young healer was quite silent at first, giving herself but a moment to observe the new arrival's condition before saying anything definite, an act that would be difficult besides, given the rarity of one such as Liadrin. Her silver-green eyes would squint, and lip curve inward as she bit in thought. Blood permeated the air, that much she knew, but there was something different about the smell and indeed the color. She had never known any poison to alter the hue in such a way, nor the scent, nor even to strain the very veins with such intensity.

It was unlike anything she had ever seen before, save only the most isolated similarities to a similarly rare condition.

Therefore, it must be arcane.

"Bloody hells," she cursed, fetching a small assortment of bottles and vials from a nearby shelf, all set aside on a stool within arm's reach for her patient.

"I shall ask thee a few questions to determine thine condition, 'tis in thy best interest to answer most honestly"

She would hold up two fingers then, thin and pale like fresh candles.

"How many doth thou see?"

Liadrin

• Devil
She would allow the woman to assist her, though her pained expression did not vanish. Her eyes opened faintly, full purple trying to take in the world around her, though the arcane sight that had been such a blessing for much of her life, now blinded her with auras that she was too devoid of energy to read.

Her lips moved, mouthing silent words, but nothing came forth at first, her ears caught the faint echo of a voice, and she became aware that not only was she being propped up, but that the healer she was seeking now held her up. Now allowed to lean against the counter, her eyes narrowed, trying to count the digits that seemed to fade in and out, her eyes straining as she spoke. "I...see...four...illusions? Is..that...it?" She asks quietly, her voice fading, her eyes flickering back to shut. Her strength was fading now, though she would mange to at least remain upright for now.

Lilette Blackbriar

• Stressed
"Ah...! well done..." At this rate she was almost impressed that the woman could see anything, double as it may be.

It was at this point that she decided to cease her questioning, have already confirmed her suspicions that the patient was not in a state of mind to make decisions or even advise their own care.

"Please take a seat, and be still if thou can"

First she grabbed a vial of blue liquid not unlike the patient's own peculiar blood, peering carefully at the label in thought. On the one hand, if the patient's power was being sapped, this would fortify her connection- or rather her focus- towards the natural arcane energies around them, but on the other hand, if she she was being strained by that very power then her condition might worsen.

Why is magic always so complicated?!

She set the vial aside for now, grabbing an empty one instead, deciding to collect some of the patient's shed blood while also attempting to staunch the bleeding.

Thankfully, her familial ties to the arcane might actually prove useful for once.

"Thou'rt a mage, correct? certainly thine condition be arcane. Dost thou feel something in the air? Be it a feint feeling, or overwhelming?"

Liadrin

• Devil
She heard some sort of words that sounded almost of praise, though she cared not. She took the seat as she was told, her legs unable to do little else than obey. Vials moved about her, catching the woman's swift motions, though she wasn't sure how she could do so, as her eyes remained closed.

As her blood was collected, Lilette would find it bubbling and seemingly changing color as it was collected. Though Liadrin seemed to not react as this occurred.

She caught Lilette's words once more, and nodded slowly, her head moving as if she was in a daze. "It's always here...always feel it...like the breeze, in the summer....it's always with me..." She murmured, her hand moving on it's own accord, as she traced what seemed to be an arcane sigil with the air. Where her finger passed, a green glow remained, a glow that would linger after her hand stopped, and a glow that would seem to pulse brightly for several moments, before vanishing into a teal colored fog.

Liadrin's magic was seemingly acting out of control now.

Lilette Blackbriar

• Thoughtful
Lilette blinked. in truth she understood less now than when the woman had entered, save of course that they were a mage and that either they had little control over their powers or that the power could not be controlled regardless.

Though it was comforting to know that the patient had their wits at least.

"I'll be plain with thee; I am no mage... I ken not what ails thee nor it's cure"

She bit her lip in frustration, very nearly exposing a fang before stopping herself.

"Hath thou come seeking a particular mixture? If 'tis not among my collection, I may know where to find it all the same"

Whatever the girl's condition, it had the nun scratching her sleeves anxiously while watching the blood samples bubble and change without rhyme or reason. It seemed as if her entire education was meaningless in the face of that old power; Magic. Time and time again, it was only ever magic that she could not conquer. Her own blood came to a proverbial boil just thinking about it.

Liadrin

• Devil
The woman spoke in that old manner that Liadrin had read of in books. She weakly looked up, dull purple eyes looking to Lilette as she struggled to respond. She wasn't quite sure what was going on with her either, but, it hurt. Badly.

"Magic...my...magic...too much...need...to...release..." She sputtered, her hand trying again to make some sort of sigil, as this time a purple dusty gaze seemed to follow after her fingers. Her digits flinched, pain fluxing as several beams of light burst out from under her nails, harmless, but pretty to gaze upon. Then, it stopped just as suddenly as it had begun. "Can...you...extract it..." She muttered, bending over to curl herself up tightly, feeling her body on the point of bursting from the magic that swelled.

Lilette Blackbriar

• Gasp
Lilette ran her fingers through Liadrin's hair like a mother tending to a daughter on hard times, nodding to herself as the poor thing nearly collapsed.

"Very well... Thou'rt lucky that I am more than a doctor..."

She muttered, fetching another key to unlock an old cabinet tucked into the corner. Inside were more potions as one might expect, though there were other things inside that shone when exposed to the light as she cracked the cabinet door just enough to reach for a vial. The cabinet was immediately locked again, and the vial's contents poured into a small wooden bowl that she would carefully hold to her patient's lips.

The liquid itself was a sickly dark blue, almost black, tasting disgustingly sweet.

"'tis technically a poison, of sorts... it will sap thine connection to that summer breeze, if briefly. Long enough regain control, perhaps?"

Then she would drag a bucket nearby, unsure whether the woman would hurl from either the potion or the rampant magic running in her veins. Or if she even would, as it was hard to tell considering how erratic and wild the arcane had become. It made her plans all the more uncertain, and risky for sure.

"If... if 'tis related to thine blood, I could extract some with a... Leech, of sorts, whilst this mixture dilutes it enough to be safe. Though to use the creature I have in mind would require a great deal of trust from thyself, and careful adherence to instruction"

She certainly hoped it wouldn't come to that, but unless Liadrin began to recover very quickly, it just might.

• Devil
Liadrin made a groan of displeasure at having her hair combed, but it was a minor concern given the discomfort that rocked her body now. She didn't know what Lilette meant with her words, but she wasn't about to reject help, not after coming this far.

Bent over the counter, she found the strange bowl of blue fluid being offered to her. Her strained expression slowly reached and took the bowl as offered, her hands weak as she would need help in finishing the concoction. Having been told this would work to her benefit, Liadrin had no reason to doubt trying to use it. So, she would try and force herself to swallow it, the sweet taste nearly making her cough as she accepted it, before her body recoiled at its' effects, the young woman slamming head first down onto the counter, her body beginning to convulse.

Lilette Blackbriar

• Stressed
"Shit!" Lilette cursed as her patient began to convulse, slamming right into her desk with an audible thud.

She was quick to snatch a piece of rolled leather from a nearby shelf, doing her best to fit it between Liadrin's teeth as to keep her from biting through her own tongue whilst spasming uncontrollably.

Once it was in, all she could do was take a step back and stare in panic. This was the first time anyone had reacted this way to one of her mixtures, and certainly the first time she had ever encountered this condition. Still, it all but confirmed a steadily built fear: That she was better at breaking mortals than fixing them.

Better at taking, than giving back.

"Can...you...extract it..."

The words clung to memory then like her patient clung to life, and Lilette knew what she had to do.

"The leech...!"

She quickly returned to the woman's side, carefully taking her wrist and searching for the strained veins, still blue with arcane power that coursed through the poor woman, threatening to boil over. There were risks involved, just as much for Lilette as her patient, but she had to try.

"This will hurt... I am... so very sorry!"

Lilette bit into the woman's wrist, allowing her fangs- and only her fangs- to sink right into the vein, steadily pulling blood like an organic syringe. Despite the initial pinch, whatever pain Liadrin was feeling would soon be soothed, Lilette secreting an analgesic that even she was unaware of.

Liadrin

• Devil
Liadrin's body didn't take well to the potion, initially. Her veins indeed glowed blue, pulsating and illuminating her skin along where the arcane tainted blood pumped, though it would soon begin to dim, albeit slowly, but Lilette's quick action, brought about with it even swifter change. The Kavosh woman had long since had to struggle in understanding the biology of her own race, most of what was told to her, laid in only how her race was superior to others.

Regardless, the episode of unconsciousness she lulled into, made her feel....tilted. She felt her body, though distant. Her mind unknowingly being trickled through the very magic that pulsated within her, and was slowly amassing back into her being as it became more contained. There was a brief pinch, a small sting, then a sense of relief. In the back of her mind, Liadrin briefly believed herself to be at risk of death, but soon realized the reality, that she was coming back into her own mind.

The blood to Lilette, would taste....almost like a wine. Rich, sweet, a dark flavor that lingered on the tongue. Perhaps it was the potion, or perhaps that was just how all Kavosh blood tasted. That would be up to Lilette to try and work out, as Liadrin made out a small groan, her pale eyes flickering back open, as the taste of leather crept at the edge of her tongue.

She wasn't fully aware, not yet, just taking in the fact that she was without pain for the time being. She felt almost half asleep actually.

Lilette Blackbriar

• Bless
Finally, things began to calm. Though hesitant at first, she pulled away from her patient's wrist, blue tinged blood dripping from her fangs as she suddenly turned away.

It was... so easy. Too easy really, to go on feeding like this. Just this alone had fully rejuvenated Lilette's body in a way she had never felt before, no matter how much she fed off mortal blood in the past. If she hadn't fed recently, than surely she risked draining the woman of such potent blood?

After taking a moment to collect her thoughts and wipe the blood from her lips, she would fetch a bandage to wrap around her guest's wrist, hopeful that she might leave them on until the marks had faded, and that- much as she wanted to- they would never have to do this again.

This also gave her a chance to check their pulse, which thankfully remained.

"Well, thou'rt alive yet, but... Hearest thou my voice still?"

Liadrin

• Devil
Sense crept back into her senses, her body slowly rose as she became more aware. She reached for her wrist, feeling fabric against her skin, when the past few moments clashed within her mind. She clasped her wrist, her gaze falling upon Lilette, as the gears in her mind began to turn and snap into place. “You…yes..I hear your words.” She said meekly, holding her wrist in hand, as her dull purple eyes lingered on the woman.

What exactly was to come next? Liadrin didn’t know. “What…do…I pay you, for your services?”

Lilette Blackbriar

• Yay
"Ah, good..." Lilette sighed in relief as she sat down, back against the desk.

"For a moment, I thought... Well, no matter. It worked, 'tis what counts"

In truth, she wasn't entirely sure what payment to demand either. She would typically handle this part on a case by case basis that tended to yield one of two results; Coin or Blood. However, she had already taken blood from the woman, and there was no promise that her line of work would pocket enough coins to afford the particular mixture Lilette had used.

"For the moment, I believe introductions will suffice. After, we can discuss the... expensive brew used. If coin should be an issue however, I am open to services and knowledge in recompense"

With her breather now over, she stood to introduce herself with a curtsy of sorts.

"My name is Lilette. What shall I call thee?"

Liadrin

• Devil
Liadrin never had much in the way of coin. She stopped taking mercenary work after she nearly died in that dragon den years ago, and much of her time since then had been, paying for food and basic supplies. Money always went fast in those periods, namely when she kept having buy new swords every other month. She took in a breath, feeling out the oddities in her body, and found them to have been mostly…normal. Though the woman wanting knowledge in exchange was…well something that she found a tad bit unusual. “I suppose I can offer service and knowledge, though I would like to not be bound by contract, but my word, if possible.” She muttered, eyeing the woman over as she did a small bow. How strange, was she among a noble woman?

“I am called…Liadrin.” She said softly, her hands coming together, gaze falling away as she contemplates where she was going to end up on this route.
Lilette Blackbriar

• Yay
"Pleased to meet thee, Miss Liadrin" She wore a thin smile, hoping to hide her fangs for awhile longer.

Then she returned to her desk, leaning against it with steepled hands as she mused over the contract, or lack thereof. Admittedly it was something of an odd request, but perhaps liadrin had her reasons.

"Very well, I shan't pry into your hesitance toward pen and paper. Though I should forewarn thee; I take a promise most seriously, and I always get what I am owed eventually"

She smiled again, this time fiendishly so.

"You understand of course, I don't ask for much, after all"

"But enough about that, I wish to discuss
thee. Thine condition to be precise, If thou wouldst indulge my own curiosity? Mayhaps others could benefit, and should there come a next time, thineself as well"

Liadrin

• Dab
This woman didn’t set anything off for Liadrin, at least not initially, is she tried to put herself at ease. For the sake of conversation, she slowly removed the blades off her back, and stowed them against the counter she sat at, turning to give Lilette her full attention now. “Promises mean much to me as well. I think we can find accord.”

She started towards the desk, her gaze falling away as she knew where this line of questioning was about to embark upon, now came the choice of what to say. Liadrin had only shared her past with two people in recent years, and those…concerns she harbored due to the nature of her birth. Her childhood. Her purpose. It was an uncomfortable truth, but this was true in all things.

“I am of the Kavosh. A pure blood at that, and…magic comes easily to us.” She started, pausing as she looked up to Lilette, pulling up her shirt briefly to reveal a small flicker of silver against her skin; arcane tattoos, crudely placed upon her at a young age. She let her shirt fall quickly, covering up the past sins of her family. “As a result, I…am prone to storing too much if I am reckless with my gifts, you see fair maiden?” Liadrin asked, looking up to Lilette in the most timid expression she could muster.

Lilette Blackbriar

• Thoughtful
"Kavosh...?" Lilette would tilt her head in thought, muttering the name a few times.

"Oh! Ozkavosh? Descendants of... wizards or some such? It is vaguely familiar"

She nodded to herself, giving Liadrin another lookover as she rubbed her chin, almost too distracted by the scholarly acquisition to pay mind toward anything else.

"I'd no idea that pureblooded Kavosh was a possibility! Do you all bear such markings, or are these unique thee? And what of the blades, is there a reason thou'rt hauling so many at once?"

Now she stared at her like a child in a candy store, or a granddaughter being told a bedtime story from long ago. It was almost enough to forget her own research, being content with learning for the sake of learning rather than her own cure.

"Now wait a moment, thou claimest thine own folly to have caused such harm, not merely thine blood? Will it be safe to release thee of my care so soon? If this be a reoccurring obstacle, we may need to discuss a method of future treatment"

Liadrin

• Derp
Liadrin shifted at the mention of her people. The last of a dying race and for good reason she felt. Her head dipped, looking away from Lilette as she inquired further. To which Liadrin weakly nodded. “There are not many of us, and the marks are….they were gifts for my mastering of my powers. They allow me to better manage magic.” Which was only partly true, but alas, she didn’t wish to divulge more than needed at current. “The blades are for my work, I…my magic, it….” She began to trail off, before sighing. “My magic can not be casted, merely stored and released. Many things are too weak to handle it, so I divert it into steel instead.”

She crossed her arms, glancing up at the strange woman as she kept on with the questions. “I stored too much in an attempt to cast, hopefully no further treatment is needed, but a remedy would perhaps be for the best.”

Lilette Blackbriar

• Popcorn
"Fascinating...!" Lilette muttered, quickly unlocking the drawer from before and fetching both her notebook and a quill, quickly jotting down some notes near the very back.

"While I wouldn't dare hope for an encounter with more of your kin, this could prove quite valuable should another require mine aid"

It might have been difficult to see from the other end of the desk, but the notebook was filled with a myriad of smaller page scraps glued or tied into the final pages like a quilt of ink and parchment. But despite the clutter, the neighboring page was nearly pristine, and bore a number of finely drawn icons, contained by more decorative illustrations along the edges, much like the illuminated manuscripts of various holy orders.

Most of these pages seemed to be anatomical description, but the illuminations themselves told a strange story. One of monsters, heroes and moonlight aplenty.

Once this new set of notes were entered, she closed the black leather-bound journal, looking up curiously at Liadrin.

"Many thanks, Liadrin. For indulging me, despite thine apprehensiveness. I shan't pry much more"

She understood that her thirst for knowledge and experiences could sometimes overwhelm others or perhaps even breach certain boundaries even if accidental, and could tell that this instance was no different.

"Well then, I suppose that leaves us only one obstacle left; Thine remedy.

It will take some time, but I believe I could make another brew to weaken thine powers enough to be contained. Though 'tis a pricy thing, and judging by the reaction caused, it may not be a reliable course..."

In a way it reminded Lilette of her own condition, despite having the opposite results. They had at least one commonality however; Both had likely been searching for a cure longer than they might wish to admit, and both had likely come up short each time.

"Perhaps thou'rt staying in fair Ragash for awhile longer, by chance? If so, perhaps observation might allow development of more reliable treatment. Or, failing that, a second set of hands seems to me a fair trade for additional tonics, once we've confirmed a safer dosage"

Liadrin

• Thoughtful
Liadrin did not like at all the manner in which Lilette began to scribble away, calling back far too much to her father and mother. Their obsession with data, knowledge, application of magic for the detriment of others. She pushed those fears down. Tried to push ahead.

“I hope there are no others like me.” She said flatly, no suave to her voice, as the idea of more people like her was…a thought she reserved for her nightmares. The notes this woman took, warned Liadrin that this was a bit more than a simple potion vender. This woman was far more than she appeared. But as to what she was to be, the young woman hadn’t a clue.

Before the topic could continue into more unwelcome territory, Lilette dropped it. Though the idea of a remedy….well, she wasn’t sure.

Liadrin fumbled over herself trying to think of what a proper thing to say to that might be. She had nothing.
“I have no place I call home, so here I can stay, and if need be help I can lend. Though I possess not the coin to lay claim to an inn for the time being, but I can make do. Such things are not unknown to me, maiden.“ She spoke, looking back to Lilette as she stepped a tad bit closer.

Lilette Blackbriar

• Yay
The dread in Liadrin's tone earned a curious glance, Lilette's lips pursed in thought. She was more perceptive now, her passion for studying arcane conditions no longer a distraction. Though she wouldn't say anything about it just yet, she supposed that Liadrin might feel pained on behalf of other Kavosh, assuming they suffered similarly. She could hardly fault the woman for that.

Then of course the topic changed, and the true extent of her situation became apparent.

"Hmm...? unfortunate indeed" She frowned, humming in thought.

This was one of those times that Lilette's desire to help began to outweigh her better judgement. Any attempts to keep a roof over Liadrin's head right now- considering the many variables in housing a stranger- could put herself and her work at risk. The internal debate caused Lilette to bite at her lip in a guilt stricken expression.

"Well... Perhaps my sisters of the church could be convinced to surrender a room, for a time. I could argue thine case and appeal to their charitable souls. Our convent is here to help people, after all"

Liadrin

• Devil
Liadrin shifted her posture, eyeing Lilette, with a degree of caution. Though she didn’t reply to Lilette at first, watching her cautiously, she felt that the potion maker herself felt at ends with something. Perhaps the idea that a sellsword would be working within her rather quant shop.

Thought going to the church for housing? A monster such as her? She…was…not sure how that would turn out. “Your sisters may not want me when they learn that a pure blood wishes to reside among them. But the offer warms what little of a heart I still possess, maiden Lilette.”

She finished, giving a small bow of her head.

Lilette Blackbriar

"I... ahem✱" Lilette had to hold back her own giggling

"You assume that I tell them everything, Or perhaps that I've not been where thou'rt now"

She would peel back the veil about her head, revealing ears that were just a little too long to be human, coming to a fine point that broke the surface of a proverbial sea of long white hair.

"When I left the Falwood searching for a remedy of my own, the humans of Vel Anir were not kind to me... I know what it is to be persecuted for the condition of one's birth, and I assure thee; so long as thou'rt behaved well as any other, thou'rt safe in my presence"

Liadrin

• Devil