Private Tales Of Similar Cloth

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Shayleigh stood there for a long while, or what seemed to be that is. Going over all the details that she could remember from what had just transpired, doing so while looking at all the damage the fire had caused. What they had just done.. she couldn't even wrap her mind around it. It was, amazing.. No, far more then just amazing. Of course, maybe she felt this way because of all her years spent alone made it seem bigger than it actually was.. somehow, she doubted that.

She was still convinced that this had been all Tharu's doing, not hers. There was just no possible way. Now, she could see how she might have added to it given how close she felt to the forest but even then, she couldn't have done this. "I... what?" She questioned him, not sure if what she had just heard was correct. "Me? I called out.. I don't think that's right.." She shifted her confused gaze from the smoke over to where he sat.

"I don't understand." It was far more confusing the more she thought about it and there was no doubt she was causing most of that confusion by doing so. "Tharu, I’m sorry but you're going to have to explain this because if I remember correctly, we'd discussed that there was a slim chance I'd even be able to learn how to hear it.. Now this? I just don't understand." It wasn't that she didn't believe him, it was just something that was hard to believe. Thankfully, she didn't have to wait long for him to explain further.

The moment he mentioned her having the voice, a flurry of emotions washed over her. She wasn't sure if she should laugh or cry, but then he followed that up with telling her that she had saved the forest with her will and that’s all it took. Shay laughed, that laughter was joined with a tears, quickly wiping them away. “I’m sorry.” Shay apologized. She wasn't even sure why this had made her emotional, why any of this was making her feel like this.. But it was and she shook her head in utter disbelief.

"So you have a thought on what happened here?" Shay mentioned, taking one last look over the disaster before catching up to him. A few steps in and her ankle was quickly reminding her that she needed to slow down with a sharp pain that ran up her leg. The bite hadn't even been an active thought until then. She hissed softly, trying not to put too much pressure on it but managed to walking, nonetheless. "There's not many who travel out this way, that I know of anyway. This couldn’t have been an accident.”

Tharu San'Seya

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Tharu San'Seya
Shayleigh could choose to believe it or not, but Tharu knew what he'd felt and heard. No matter what she chose to think, it wasn't his place to bring it into question-- If Shayleigh were ever to master the gift that had been given to her, she would need to believe in herself with far more faith than she yet displayed. When the tears and the laughter came out together in some emotional tango, Tharu would have liked to comfort her, to enforce again that she was far mightier than she seemed.

"Nothing to explain. Some Fae are born with the ability to Speak in their blood. It would seem you're one of those Fae. In a period of great emotional stress, you were able to tap into that power if only for a moment. You may learn to harness it fully with time, or it may never come to you again. I can't say."

The rule of Spring was clear. Tharu wasn't allowed to offer much insight on the workings of the Voice without his Father's approval. Even if he did, the wave of emotions that crashed against her soul right now would prevent her from much further Speaking. At least, until she calmed down a bit.

Before turning to wander back the way they came, Tharu did something rather out of the ordinary: Bringing his hands to his sides, the young Prince bowed.

"But you can be sure that I was only half of what saved these trees. As a member of the Spring Royal Family, I thank you for your assistance. Truly, Shayleigh."

The limping footsteps followed him as he slowly made his way back to where Shayleigh had been camped out, and he turned with a concerned eye trained on her ankle. "I have more than one thought, but they can wait until we're safe. All I will say is that if my suspicions are true, then I am at fault for putting you in danger." That damned Shadow... Could it have somehow followed him this far out? Certainly, there were other explanations, and he wouldn't be sure until he came back under daylight to inspect the area.

The Prince wouldn't have her suffering the whole way home, however.

"Come here, let me help you, Shay." Tharu offered his arm and the support that came with it. A rather awkward smile crossed his features for a moment. "I think we're beyond refusing to lean on each other now, aren't we?"

Shayleigh

• Popcorn
Reactions: Shayleigh
It wasn’t that she didn’t want to believe but simply, it was hard too. After all this time and it was just now coming out? It didn’t make sense to her, but then, there were a lot of things that have happened in her life that didn’t so why not add another. Could it have also been because of his own ability, maybe it awoken her own when she tried to speak through him? There were far too many questions and she felt not all would be answered, more so, by Tharu.

It may never come to you again. Shay tried to hide the disappointment she felt, that was likely present in her eyes, when he mentioned it. “Oh..” She said solemnly. Just when she thought they had happened upon something incredible, which it still was, she learns it may never happen again. Such was her life. “I guess only time will tell, hmm?”

No matter how she felt about her newly acquired ability, the only thing that truly mattered was the fact that they had put out the fire. A fire that would have threatened much more than just the area that was now nothing but a charred mess. Shay had been taking a last look at the area when she caught Tharu’s movements. causing her to whip her head around. “What are you doing?! Stop that!” Shay laughed in disbelief. Her cheeks now had a rosy tent to them.

“For one, you don’t need to thank me. You know how I feel about this forest and if anyone needs to thank someone, it’s me that needs to thank you.. So thank you.” She had started to make her way towards him as she spoke. That limp made her steps slower than she would have liked. “Second, I don’t deserve to be bowed to Tharu.” Her tone had a hint of laughter behind it. She wasn’t trying to make it seem as though she didn’t appreciate it, she did, it was just something no one needed to do. Especially him.

“Oh? Well, then I’m more curious to hear your thoughts on what it could have been.” Tharu didn’t strike her as one to get into trouble, nor have trouble following him. “Also, no matter what we find out, I’ll not hear of you blaming yourself for any of it. I’m a grown woman that knows what she’s getting herself into..most of the time. So I'll hear none of that.”

Shay didn’t refuse his arm, like she normally would have. Instead, she took hold of it, helping take some weight off her ankle which in turn, relieved some of the pain. “Thank you” She smiled back at him, noting the awkward smile he gave her. “I think we are, yes. Though, if it makes you uncomfortable at all, tell me. I can manage to get back on my own.”

Tharu San'Seya

Maybe he would have shown a little bit of that shyness that had been so prevalent in him just a few hours ago, but it seemed rather silly for him to be so uncomfortable about being close to her after the ordeal they'd just withstood. Her assurance that she could make it back on her own was met with a laugh. "I think I might be past feeling uncomfortable around you now. Having somebody speak through you is an... well, intimate isn't the word, but it's a cozy sensation. The ice has been sufficiently melted." He smirked, looking forward to avoid showing any of the color on his face. There must have been a million thoughts running through her mind at once after something so overwhelming, but Tharu seemed much calmer than he had before.

In stark contrast to their trip here, The Prince took his time guiding them back. Now that the danger had passed, for the moment anyways, there seemed no reason to risk worsening her injury by rushing faster than was necessary. Besides, it gave Tharu a small chance to let his thoughts be heard.

"Well... a certain danger has been combating my court over the course of the last year. We aren't sure exactly what it is, but we refer to it as the Shadow." Tharu's grasp on Shayleigh tightened just a bit as he thought about what that cursed thing being here would mean. "Nasty being. Kills other creatures and uses their bodies like shells, mutating and deforming them into monstrosities. I can't say I've seen it set fires before, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me."

It didn't take too terribly long before they were back to the place they had initially met, and Tharu carefully and gently helped Shayleigh back to where she'd sat the previous evening. "I'll need to go back there tomorrow and inspect things, see what I can glean from the daylight." The Prince pauses after she's safe, looking back towards the woods, biting his lip. "I would... really be more comfortable staying here with you until daybreak. If that wouldn't bother you. The idea of any more harm coming to you out of my own absentmindedness doesn't sit well with me."

Shayleigh

Even with his help with her limping self, they were slow moving, and she had half a mind to tell him to go on forward without her and she'd meet him back at the spot they'd met. Yet, as she looked at him, she realized he'd never agree to such a thing. So, she left it be and instead found herself a bit taken back by what he said regarding her speaking through him. His statement was followed by a snicker that she tried not to let slip out. "Tharu, you do realize that you can't half explain something and not expect me to want more information on it. So, please, if you may, explain to me what it's like to have someone speak through you." With everything so heavy in her thoughts, she knew it was best she try to focus on one thing at a time or she'd never be able to process it all.

Brows furrowed and nose wrinkled as he began to speak of this danger he believed may have been the cause of tonight's fire. But it wouldn't explain why it was here now and why this shadow thought to start a fire in the middle of a forest. "This shadow, has it been known to travel and cause havoc like this? If it's only been your court, why would it come here and tonight of all nights. It sounds dreadful and something that needs to be stopped before it can't be stopped at all." Easier said than done, she knew this. "If I can be of any help, just ask and I will aid in taking care of this, shadow. Is it following you? Or your family? Maybe it's trying to rid you of things you care about? Though I know you don't know this land that well, you can hear it and I'm sure you care for it as I do." It was a farfetched idea but once her mind starts rolling on something, it hardly ever stops.

Though with some lingering pain, she had enjoyed their slow walk back. In fact, even with all the horrid things that had happened tonight, it had still been one of the better evenings she'd had in a long while. With help, she found herself sitting back on the overly large blanket in the small clearing. "I'd like to go back with you, if that is alright? Don't want to intrude on anything." Some work better alone and she wasn't going to assume he wasn't that type. Shay smiled at his words and scooted over on the blanket, giving him plenty of room on the other side. "What harm came to me tonight was not because of you, I don't think it and I wish for you not too as well. I have no qualms in you staying here tonight, there is enough room on this blanket for you, there's also another blanket there" She pointed towards the basket that had held the food, under it was another thick wool blanket. "If you start to feel chilled or if you'd rather sleep on a separate blanket, of course." Lowering herself on her side, letting her head rest on one of her arms while she watched him and waited to hear what he planned on doing.

Tharu San'Seya

Tharu cleared his throat. What exactly did she want him to say? That he'd never had the hands of another on his skin before? That connecting to one-another like they had was usually reserved for much deeper relationships? The situation had called for it, and Tharu wasn't about to let the woods burn.

"I suppose you could equate it to a rather personal act usually reserved for people bound to one another. Normally I wouldn't have done it so brazenly but... the situation was rather dire."

Shayleigh was asking a lot of questions, and unfortunately, Tharu didn't exactly have many answers. What little he did know he wasn't supposed to say, and even then a majority of the information about the Shadow was known only to his Father and the Erlking. Sure, some of the theories and connections she made did have a level of reason to them, but none of them were questions Tharu hadn't already asked himself, and speculation would only get them so far.

"I've no idea why it's here, and I've only seen it outside of Spring once before. Havoc though... yes." Tharu gave a small shake of his head. "Entire patches of forest trampled to the ground. Our previous King slaughtered and left to fester. Even I had a narrow brush with death against it not too long ago. It just... consumes. It's mindless, like some sort of parasite." Tharu shuddered to remember the horrifying visages he'd seen, black shadow oozing from ripped pores, teeth growing in rows where there should be none. That they hadn't encountered the shadow itself was a blessing, and Tharu hoped it wasn't responsible for this mess.

The stress he was under lessened considerably once the two of them were back to safety, however. Shayleigh's injury wasn't life-endangering in the least, but she wasn't going to make it any better if she kept walking on it. To see her resting on the blanket he'd found her on in the first place was a weight off his shoulders. As she offered to accompany him in the morning, Tharu retrieved one of the apples that was left over from earlier and bit into it.

"Well, let's see how your ankle is doing in the morning. Sidhe are fast healers, so hopefully, some rest will do you good. As long as the wound isn't open tomorrow, you can come along."

It was noncommittal, but Tharu didn't want the Sidhe to push it too hard. Not that he held any real authority over her, of course. They weren't even in his court at the moment. Polishing off the apple that he'd taken, he places the core on the ground and lowers to sit on the blanket beside her, before laying back with a strained yawn.

Normally this would all make him rather nervous, being so close to her. Right now his mind was so troubled he didn't even think about it; he was worried, sore, tired, and the blanket felt incredible against the bare skin of his back. "Perhaps I worry too much, but I can't help it. I'm a Prince, and I'm expected to keep things reined in..."

Shayleigh

• Smug
Eye's widened as Tharu did as she'd asked, but not because of that but because of the words he spoke. Blood rushed to her cheeks causing a gradual redness to spread, though she wasn't entirely sure why considering it wasn't like it had been the act itself. "Ohh" Was all she managed out before she shook off the embarrassment knowing if she felt this way, he must feel worse about having to have done that. "I'm sorry that you had to do that but it saved a lot of lives tonight.. Besides, I wouldn't even know what this personal act is like" Her words were meant to make him feel better, even if only a little. Though, now that redness in her cheeks darkened after having admitted what she had.

She could tell all her questions had him mulling over how to answer them, if he could answer them. It was a bad habit to have, asking too many questions when she didn't know what else to do or when nervous or excited. Yet, it was funny that she was rather quite any other time. Nose wrinkled as a grimace chased away her once calm visage as he spoke of this shadow. It felt as if it had a purpose but one she didn't know, other then the possibility of it having been made from someone who hates the spring court and those who run it. Something so dangerous could easily do far more damage than it sounds like it had, so could the attacks be purposeful and aimed?

"Could it have been made? Is there someone who's an enemy of your court that would have the ability or could pay someone to create such?" Sure, it may be far fetched but at least it was an idea, though possibly one he'd already thought about and marked off. She brought a hand to cover her mouth while a yawn found its way out as she lowered herself to laying on her side. His movements kept her attention as he brought the apple to his mouth and Shay could have sworn, she heard her stomach growl. It wouldn't surprise her, she could eat hearty then most could on any given day. Just, not now. After the far to exciting and draining excursion, she her body wanted nothing more than to rest now, food could wait.

Shay couldn't help but let out an amused laugh. "Are you truly saying that if my ankle isn't better by tomorrow, I can't accompany you? Is that an order from a Prince?" She smiled before letting her arms drop as she rolled on her back. She knew why he wouldn't want her to go if it wasn't, it would be far to easily to injury it further if she did. But it still amused her that he could care for her wellbeing so much when most would either act like they did or truly did but wouldn't go above and beyond to make sure she was okay. "What if you run into trouble, could you take care of it on your own?"

She moved onto her either side as Tharu joined her on the blanket and unknowingly giving him a once over. Brows furrowed at his words, they felt heavy as if they were the first of his true feelings he'd shared. A wave of empathy ran through her as she watched him.. "I think worrying is normal and I'm not sure if one can truly worry too much. You're a prince, yes, but you too have feelings, needs, desires just as the rest of us do. Not everything has to be placed on your shoulders and yours alone, Tharu. You can be a Prince and still be your own person, there's nothing wrong with that.. In fact, I think most would prefer that. Don't try taking everything on yourself, let others help you. Let me help you." Shay gave him a tired smile but a smile, nonetheless. Her words may not mean much at all coming from, well, a commoner but they were from the heart.

Her eyelids felt too heavy to keep open, but she tried, fluttering them open and closed as she awaited a response from him. Even if he did respond, she'd not hear a word as eyes closed one last time before sleep finally took her. Her head met her hands that folded beneath the weight of her cheek causing curls to curtain part of her face. Legs lifted, curling into herself for warmth but just as soon as that ankle moved, it stopped followed by a sleepy winch that was quickly replaced by a steady rise and fall of her chest. Sleep was wonderful, when she could get it

Tharu San'Seya

• Ctuhlu senpai
Sleep seemed to come swiftly for his newfound companion, but Tharu's night was spent deep in the throes of his own mind, eyes open to stare at the stars that hung over their heads like pinprick-sized fireflies. The words of comfort that Shayleigh offered repeated again and again in his mind like a scream off of the sides of a cave, but there was no sense of realization, no panic or urgency in his mind. You can be a Prince and still be your own person.

Tharu knew that should be true. It made sense, and often he'd told himself the very same thing. No matter how he looked at it though, the young duanann couldn't envision himself ever escaping the large shadow cast by his father. The infamous last name that he bore and the legacy that came with it hung around his neck like an albatross, and Tharu was beholden to it. By the time he found his voice to ask her how she could possibly help him, he turned his head to find her fast asleep.

And, as frustrated as he was, he smiled at the picture of peace lying beside him.

Eventually, his exhaustion and the warmth of the blanket underneath him did overcome his worry and troubled mind, allowing sleep to take him. Dawn came far too quickly, however. The sun that beat down on his bare skin in greeting was met with a grumble and the shifting of his body to lie on his side. Exhausted though he was, he knew he didn't have much choice in the matter but to rise and ensure the safety of Shayleigh and the Vitae grounds.

Mumbling something to Shayleigh as he opened his eyes at last, he squinted against the sun and sat up, gathering his silvery hair in his hands to replace the ties that had come undone during the night. Without them, his hair ran down to his stomach, but it was abhorrent for a San'Seya to cut his hair. There it was again, adhering to his name...

Yawning, The Prince looked to his friend. Had she woken yet? If not, maybe he could steal a couple more minutes... It certainly wasn't an unappealing thing, to be lying beside her. Just the companionship of having somebody near was rather foreign to him.

Shayleigh

• Aww
Although sleep had found her quickly, it didn’t stay peaceful. Visions of the fire plagued her dreams, or rather, nightmares. She could feel the heat from the flames, smell the charred earth but what she saw is what caused her to start stirring. A shadow within the flames, standing there, just watching as the flames danced around it as if it couldn’t be touched by them. The very embodiment of death itself stared at her as if in a warning.. Was she next?

She watched the fire slowly disappear as the shadow began to take the form of two and the scene itself faded into another. The scent of wildflowers in the midday sun invaded her senses and she knew exactly where she was.. Laying in her family's garden moments before the screaming would start..

Shay tossed and turned in her sleep, her body's way of trying to wake itself up from the nightly visit of this particular nightmare. Before she could wake, the screams echoed and she was standing in the doorway watching the horror unfold. Her mother fought and caught sight of Shay .."RUN" she had yelled to her..

Blood.. It was everywhere and before she knew what to do, he was after her too..

Silent tears fell from her eyes while the visions dissipated and the sound of a voice brought her back to reality. One eye opened, squinting from the brightness of the morning sun and then the other joined in. Tharu slowly came into view just laying there, looking at her. Shay smiled, it was one of those lazy half asleep smiles, but a smile nonetheless.

“Good morning” Softly spoken. Only then did she feel the cool wetness left from those stray, unwanted tears that had fallen while she was asleep. Embarrassed, she quickly brought her hand up and wiped away their presence. “Sleep okay?” Not that she expected either one of them would have been able to get a restful night's sleep after what happened, but she hoped he had been able to get a few hours at least.

Tharu San'Seya

A rather amused huff left his throat at her question, his eyebrows raising as if to turn her question back to her. Though she looked peaceful as she'd laid beside him, the tears that escaped her eyes and the darkened lines just underneath them told a different story. Not that he blamed her for having a troublesome sleep; he'd barely slept at all. "I think neither of us did too well in that regard. It was nice, though... not to be alone." It probably sounded different than how he meant it, but nights of sleeplessness felt a bit less miserable with company, silent or otherwise.

Still, the Prince didn't push too hard on what troubled her. Often times one's dreams are the only place you can truly have privacy, and to intrude upon that was beyond rude. Tharu pushed himself up with a groan, the loose hanging cloth around his waist. dragging against the ground as he stretched himself out before reaching for his robe and sliding it over his body. The day was bright, warm, and the singsong voice of the flowers would make one think that the near disaster of last night hadn't even occurred.

The flowers forgot easily enough. Tharu did not.

"How is your ankle feeling, Shay?" The duanann turns to face her as he works on tying his long hair back into place. "I can always work on it a bit more if needed, but you should be much better than last night. We're going to keep you away from any wolves for a while though, I think." A smirk pulls at his lips as he finishes with his hair and offers her a hand to help pull her to her feet. He'd made a show of being unsure about having her alongside him when he went back to the scene of the fire today, but if he was being honest, he was hoping she was in good enough shape to go. The long night had left him dulled, and an extra set of eyes to keep him sharp would be helpful.

And, as he'd already admitted, her company was nice...

Shayleigh

• Cthuulove
There was a hint of amusement that laced her sleepy laughter due to the look he gave her, was it really that noticeable!? That laughter trailed off until it stopped altogether as she put her hands under her head, those ethereal eyes continued to watch him. He wasn’t wrong, it had been nice to not be alone, to have someone close by. It was a nice..change. One though, that wouldn’t be gotten used to as this was likely a one time deal. “It was, wasn’t it? To know you're not alone, even for just a little while.” Shay let a gentle smile spread across her, still tired, face.

Knowing she shouldn’t, shay still allowed her gaze to follow him as he stood. It didn’t help that Tharu was immensely easy on the eyes, but he also moved with such grace that it was hard not to watch him. Truth be told, she’d never really allowed herself to look at a man in such a way, to appreciate the makings of a man. Everything from the way his silvery hair seemed to glisten in the sunlight and she wondered if it truly felt as silky as it looked. He was tall and lean, not broad and bulky as some men were, yet muscle still defined his body in the most appropriate ways. His eyes.. So golden that they almost seemed to glow in the morning light of the sun. Eyes that she could easily watch for hours and never tired of.

The sound of his voice drew her back in as she felt heat creeping up into her cheeks as she met his gaze, hoping like hell he hadn’t noticed her gawking at him. “Oh! Right” Said as she pushed herself up and turned to sit upon the blanket and lifted her ankle to look at it. It still looked worse for wear but much better than the night before, much of it had already begun to heal and close up but there were spots here and there that still needed mending. Slightly swollen but the pain level was more than manageable. “It’s much better, still needs some time but I can manage it just fine. No need to tend to it again, Tharu, you did more than enough last night and I appreciate all the help you gave me.”

One corner of her lips lifted as she looked up at him with one of those looks that said loudly, funny. “Awe, really?! The chase is such a thrill though!” She chuckled and slipped her hand into his and up she went. Stumbling a bit as she got her footing, instinctively placing a hand on his chest to help steady her before quickly pulling it away. “Sorry, it seems my legs forgot how to work momentarily.. So” She cleared her throat and took a step back “What first? Find some breakfast or get right to investigating? Your choice!”

Tharu San'Seya

• Ctuhlu senpai
Tharu was used to the eyes of the lesser Spring Fae, and he knew when he was being watched; The Dryads and Sprites that roamed the lands around their castle were far from shy about their attractions from any Duanann of his stature. Never had he felt the gaze of a Sidge against his back though. Normally it would have made him nervous, feeling her eyes linger on him as he stretched and dressed for the day, but... For some reason he found that he enjoyed it, knowing it was Shayleigh looking at him...

Strange, what had gotten into him?

Thankfully, seeing her ankle was enough to break his thoughts, and his eyes honed in on the bruised and battered joint. It was relieving to see his efforts hadn't been in vain, and in another day or two Tharu doubted she would even be able to tell anything had happened to her. Kneeling down and bringing his hands gently to her skin, he hummed thoughtfully. "Healing well enough. I was hoping those last spots would be closed up by now, but..." Tharu's eyes traveled up to meet hers, and he trailed off. The part of him that was concerned for her safety wanted to tell her to stay here, and they both knew it... But the part of him that was getting a strange rush from her staring eyes all of a sudden wanted her to come along anyways.

That part was larger. "...But I suppose you know your limits better than I do. Come on then, we have work to do." Tharu smiled and rose to his feet, taking her hand and helping her up. It wasn't smooth; Shayleigh tripped over something and reached out to balance herself on his chest, and on instinct The Prince brought his arms up to catch her, his hands finding her arms and holding her until she was steady.

"Easy... Are you sure you're alright?" He stared down at her, hands slowly sliding from her arms as he watched her face framed by the brown locks of her hair. Gods, he hoped nothing else tried to harm her. Of all the wonders of nature he'd witnessed, she was by far the most... fascinating. "We can stop halfway and eat... give you a chance to rest your leg."

Shayleigh

• Smug
A sense of relief rushed through her as he lowered himself to look at her ankle, that relief wasn’t due to how her ankle looked but more to the fact that she was sure he hadn’t noticed her wandering eyes. There wouldn’t have been a way to explain why she had let it happen nor was she sure why she had even done it in the first place. One thing she did know for certain, she thoroughly enjoyed the view and had no doubt that, if given the chance, she’d enjoy it again.

She felt her skin heat beneath his touch followed by a tingling sensation that then caused goosebumps to form upon silken skin, noticeably so. Internally she was cursing herself out, more so her body for reacting in a way it most definitely shouldn’t. On the outside, she played it cool and calm as he looked over her ankle. “Don’t worry about those spots, they’ll be gone by tomorrow and if they’re not I’ll make sure to go see a healer.. If I need to” She added that last bit with a sly smirk. That smirk slowly faded as she looked up, his eyes already locked on hers and for the briefest of moments, she swore all time stopped and all she could see was him..

His voice broke that moment and just as like that, everything else came back into view leaving her utterly confused. There had to be a logical explanation as to what was going on, either due to her wound or perhaps whatever had been in that flower he’d used on it last night.. Something. “Something you should know about me Tharu, there’s no way I’d let a wound like this stop me from doing what I want to do and right now, I wish to help you find out what happened last night.. If we can.”

There was no saying what had tripped her up, knowing her it was probably her own feet that did it. She held her breath as she found herself in his arms before lifting her head up, eyes meeting eyes yet again while she slowly moved away. “I’m fine, I swear it. Might have gotten up to quickly or tripped over my own feet” She laughed it off and went about fixing the skirt of her dress, anything to keep her from saying or doing something stupid again.

“As you wish” Said while she straightened back up and instantly headed in the direction of the charred earth that waited for them. “I’m in your debt for all your help last night, not only did you save me but you saved this forest, the only place I’ve known as home. And I know I’ve already said Thank you but I feel saying such will never be enough to truly express how thankful I am for your help and for the chance meeting we seemed to have had… Anyway.” Shay took a deep breath and exhaled softly. “is there anything about this shadow thing that you didn’t tell me about last night that might help us today?”

Tharu San'Seya

Shayleigh was trying to reassure him, tell him that she wouldn't stay even if he told her to. Tharu was almost positive that was what was being spoken, but once again he had trouble concentrating as she looked up at him, that strange fluttering sensation in the pit of his stomach returning. What was...? It was such an unfamiliar feeling...

Shayleigh straightened herself and Tharu cleared his throat as she turned on her heel towards the scene of last night's near-miss disaster. Right, there wasn't any time to dwell on whatever kept nagging at him whenever she gave him that look. If it meant anything, he was certain he would figure it out in time. The important thing was that she and the forest were safe, and they would remain that way if he could help it. Rushing to catch up with her, The Duanann rolled his eyes at her continuous gratitude.

"Please. It would go against my nature not to help, and you've made me feel more welcome than any stranger I've ever met, though I certainly would consider you more than a stranger now." In truth, though he'd known Shayleigh for only a little over a day, she already meant a great deal to him. There was a connection between them, one that he couldn't explain, but had grown stronger since they awoke this morning, without question.

"Not much, except..." Well, Tharu had a theory, but it hadn't been confirmed. "It infests other creatures and possesses them, mutates them. What's left anyways. However, it doesn't seem to have that goal with my father or I. From what I can tell, it seeks only to kill us." The implications of that were disturbing, to say the least, but it could be a coincidence...

It didn't take long for them to reach the place they'd saved together last night; long swaths of land scarred black by flames, the trees that stood singing a low hum to Tharu, only still there because of his and Shayleigh's combined efforts. The river she'd used was somewhat shallow, but time would heal that necessary wound.

"Looking at it in the day, you can see how close we truly came to disaster." The scorched earth stopped just shy of a large expanse of foliage that stretched far into the distance. There would have been no stopping that... The Prince shook his head, looking at her again. "You did incredibly. I could hardly tell it was your first time."

Shayleigh

Did he just?! Shay’s unrestrained laughter joined that of the morning's melodies. “Did you just roll your eyes at me?!” Said through bits of laughter. She wasn’t sure exactly why she found that to be so comical but it was and it even had her eyes smiling. “You’ll never not hear me give my thanks when I find that’s it's needed” By that point she’d turned her head to give him a raised brow as if telling him to get used to it.

“Do you now? What makes me more than a stranger, Tharu.” Always a curious mind “Not that I don’t feel the same, I do, I’d just like to know your reasoning.” She was sure she knew why, simply because of what had happened last night. Add in the whole working through him on top of it all and she was positive that would be his reason why. “In truth, you’ve been the first person in a very long time that I’ve felt comfortable with, safe almost. Enough that I can be myself and carry on a conversation without feeling like I need to hide something.” Her shoulders lifted and then fell in a slight shrug.

Shay was left wondering how he could stay so calm when discussing this thing wanting him and his father dead. “If it wants you two dead, there has to be a reason as to why. Could this thing have been made? By magic or other means? Or does it feel like something ancient, something that’s always been there?” There was a good chance that he’d not be able to answer any of these questions but she felt the need to ask them nonetheless.

She stopped short, taken back by just how bad the fire had truly been. It hadn’t seemed this large last night, nor this close to being completely out of control. A chill ran down her back at the thought of how close she’d come to losing this forest or at least a good chunk of it. Then another thought crossed her mind.. “By the looks of it, it’s a damn good thing you were here on these lands. If it hadn’t been because of you hearing the cries of it, it would have never been put out and I’d have likely perished in the fire as well.”

There wouldn’t have been any way she would have known about the fire before it was too late and even if she’d shifted, the chances of her making it out of a wildfire that was completely out of control, were slim. Shay felt heat rise in her cheeks as he complimented her on what she’d accomplished. “You’d be surprised at how many firsts I have yet to have” Just as she said it, she wished she hadn’t.

“I mean, with things like that” Not true. But why is she even thinking that!? “Besides, it was because of you that I was able to do that in the first place.. Either way, it was incredible what we were able to do together.” Clearing her throat she started to move further towards the charred earth. “What would we be looking for exactly?”

Tharu San'Seya

Tharu found himself easily distracted by the banter with Shayleigh, smirking at her sass and even sending a little bit back to her. "If you're allowed to keep thanking me, I'm allowed to roll my eyes at you." The Prince crosses his arms, smugly raising an eyebrow "Considering we've helped each other out as much as we had, speaking through me, and the whole... sleeping together thing." It may have been worded wrong, but he wasn't technically lying. "As little as it may seem, it's closer than I've ever been to anybody, Shayleigh."

The smugness smearing his face melted to a more subdued fondness, and his brow dropped as he reached out to rest a hand on her arm, a gentle touch that for some reason made his own heart jump a bit, admittedly. "You're the first person who doesn't treat me differently because I'm a Prince. Do you have any idea how refreshing that is? To feel like I can just be me for a change?"

Slowly, he slid his hand from its spot, biting the inside of his cheek as he looked at her for a minute, trapped in that gaze again. What on Arethil had gotten into him? "As far as I'm concerned, you are safe. You're my friend, and I don't intend to allow any harm to befall you. Fire or otherwise." He was glad he'd been here to stop the blaze. Elsewise he wouldn't have gotten the chance to meet her. Nor would he have the Vitae to rely on as allies...

There was a pause, as Tharu allowed his thoughts to wander for a moment... but her talk of The Shadow was enough to put him back on track. Turning his eyes back to the scorched earth behind him, a small sigh passes his lips. "I wish I knew. It appeared so suddenly..." Tharu turned to walk towards the large black pit where the inferno had presumably started, his arms wrapping around his midsection. "We have contingencies though. It's not something we can't protect ourselves against. When it starts attacking our allies though, the people we care about..."

This wasn't the first time it had come after Tharu, if this was indeed its work.

“You’d be surprised at how many firsts I have yet to have”

Tharu's head snapped back, and he cleared his throat a bit, hoping the red rushing to his face wasn't too obvious against his pale skin. He knew what she meant, but that's... admittedly not where his mind went.

"I... Yeah. Well, we're working on firsts aren't we?"

Gods, that might have been even worse. Quickly he moves on.

"Look for unusual track marks. Prints that appear misshapen or disfigured. If you see any animal corpses, don't get close until I examine them." Usually, the beast was much more direct in its attacks, but he couldn't rule out that it was trying a different approach.

• Smug
“Hey now! I have good reason to be thanking you, it would be wrong if I didn’t” It was his smirk that threw her off a little and ceased her laughing to a light chuckle. It was cute, in a mischievous way that had the corner of her own lips curling. “Besides Thanking someone is nice, rolling your eyes at them is not” Shay lifted her arm letting the palm of her hand find purchase on his shoulder, giving it a nice playful shove.

That mimicked smirk moved into a warm smile. “None of it is little to me, Tharu. This is the closest I’ve been to anyone since..” Trailing off for a moment, the once bright eyes dulling as she thought of them. “..my parents.” And her reasoning for shutting herself off to the world. “It’s a nice change, one that I’d can only hope will continue and not leave this a one time chance meeting”.

Her gaze followed his hand as it came to rest on her arm, skin to skin, once more causing that odd tingling sensation. Lifting her eye’s off where his hand laid to lock onto his own and for a moment, she found herself lost in them, his words almost distant but she heard them nonetheless. “Oh! Shoot. I’d forgotten you were a prince! I mean, your majesty A gentle curtsey, bowing her head as waves of brown fell in the process. This gave her a good excuse to try and rid her mind of its wandering thoughts. ”Or is it your highness?” Said as she stood back up with that all too amused look on her face.

“You are a Prince and maybe I should treat you more as such but honestly, I see you as something more than a title. I see you, a man who isn’t given that chance often enough to just be you.. I can only hope you get more chances to be you, granted I also believe you are a great Prince. Just, don’t lose yourself in that title.” She offered him another slight smile as his touch left her, leaving behind a chill where his warmth had been.

“As much as I appreciate that, I’ve been able to care for myself for some time now and you can’t always keep someone safe, no matter how hard you try.” Something she knew all too well. Shay felt it was time for a subject change before those memories came rushing back and ruining the moment. “I hate to ask such a question but is there anyone that would want your father or even your dead? Mainly your father as I feel it might be going after you to get to him.” She questioned.

Shay had begun walking slowly around, looking for anything that seemed oddly out of place. Out of the corner of her eyes she noticed Tharu turn his head rather quickly at her comment, the one comment she couldn’t believe even came out of her damned mouth! Heat, she felt it, though this time not because of a fire but because of the embarrassment at realizing he may have known what she meant by that.. Which, honestly, there were a lot of things she’d yet to experience, not just one.

I… Yeah. Well, we’re working on firsts aren’t we?

Cheeks flushed as she looked up at him abruptly as too many thoughts filled her head at once. What had he meant by that?! Was she thinking too far into it? Likely.. They were words, nothing more. “Of course! There’s a first for everything, some more heavily anticipated than others and I’m sure I’ll experience it all in due time, as shall you.. Well, with anything you’ve yet to do in life.” She added and quickly continued on her observation of the ground. What the hell had gotten into her?

The sound of a faint squawking to her left caught her attention, it didn’t sound right, it sounded like whatever it was coming from had given up and was in the midst of welcoming death. “There's something over here” Said while she took off in the direction of where the sound had come from. Hidden beneath the overgrown grass that hadn’t been touched by the fire the night before, laid a large raven. By the looks of it, it looked unharmed. No blood present, no bodily injuries that could be seen. “What if it got caught in the fire last night? More so the smoke.. It’s dying” The sadness in her tone was evident. "Or is it something else? Maybe I can help it?. Examine it quickly, please."

Tharu San'Seya

Tharu was wondering if she had any idea how much some of the sentiments she shared meant to him. It was hidden by teasing that normally would have gotten him a little riled, all that talk of princeliness that he loathed so much, but by the time she was done declaring her belief in him, as both a man and as Prince to the spring... Well, he was feeling a little hot in the face. It was good that he could distract himself by looking for clues.

"I daresay you're the only one who's ever said such things to me Shayleigh, but then you're also the only friend I've ever had outside of Spring who isn't involved in politics." Tharu's existence had been a bit of a lonely one, marred with misfortune until recently. Clearing his throat, he suddenly finds one of the unscorched trees to be very interesting. "This time we've spent thus far... It's making me feel more like that. A man, I mean. If anything I should be thanking you.

Unfortunately, he wasn't coming up with much in terms of hints. The scorch marks showed no sign of any lingering remnants of shadow, and he didn't see any malformed remains that would indicate the Shadow used corpses to enact his will either. Even the trees were quiet to his call, exhausted after a night of fear. "My Father is a King, of course he has enemies. Even so, I don't know who would be willing or able to create a monstrosity like this. It is a threat to all the courts, not just ours."

What was left unspoken was that if anybody had a motive to kill his father, it was probably Tharu himself.

"As for firsts... Well, you've helped me with so many already. Perhaps there is more to experience yet. I certainly can think of worse company." It was almost a thoughtless response that left his lips as he rose from his spot to join her, gaze narrowing at the partially hidden form of a struggling raven in the tall grass. "Tch... smoke should have killed it by now..." It wasn't that the raven's pain wasn't saddening to him, but of all animals... The jet-black feathers of the Raven prevented Tharu from seeing any danger from a distance.

Placing a hand on her shoulder, The Prince mutters, "Stay here. Be ready for anything."

Shayleigh

"Am I, truly?" Even as that question left her lips, she knew there was no reason to ask it. Tharu had no reason to lie or make things up, he gained nothing from it in regards to her. Her features softened noticeably when he mentioned her being a friend and without realizing it, she was smiling again. "Eh, I wouldn't really say I'm not involved in politics" Said as she scrunched her nose "Just not the way most are" Shay decided to leave it at that as she'd probably already given too much information as it was. Though, she felt that Tharu could be trusted with such information and not do anything harmful with it.

"Dare I say that I've enjoyed spending this time with you, even the near-death experience" Her laughter covered up the more serious note of what she was saying. "I know you're a busy man, with being who you are and I'm positive you've a lot on your shoulders but.." This was her taking a much bigger step then maybe she should with him. "I wouldn't mind finding time to spend more time together, when your able to, of course.." She was incredibly thankful that she was nowhere near him at the moment and could hide herself away if need be. "I think it would be nice to get to know you better.. I mean, if you want to."

Her question regarding enemies was probably yet another she shouldn't have asked, it should have been obvious that he would. The key would be to figure out whom of these possibly enemies could manage a magic such as this abomination. "If it's a threat to all, it's something we should figure out before it gets to far out of hand." Was she just throwing herself in on this now? You bet.

Heat rose in her cheeks once more, just when she thought it had finally settled and calmed. "Are you saying that I'm decent company, Tharu? Company that you'd not mind experiencing more with!?" A smirk lifted her lips but was hidden from his view thanks to making her way towards the treeline. "What if it had been able to get high enough to help the smoke clear enough to survive it?" If there was a way to save the Raven, she'd do it. Even trying to make excuse's out of the fact that he'd survived something he likely shouldn't have. Startled by the sudden presence of his hand on her shoulder, Shay lifted her gaze to him and nodded. "Be careful.."

Tharu San'Seya

Tharu probably would have been far more taken aback that Shayleigh was asking him on what basically equated to a date if it wasn't for the pounding of his heart in his pointed ears as he approached the raven hidden beneath the tall blades of grass. It would have been the easiest thing in the world for the Dark One to ambush him here, even if it wasn't hiding within the carcass of a dead bird. That Shayleigh was watching his back did offer some amount of solace, admittedly...

Walking in a low squat, the Prince of Spring finally parted the lengthy blades that surrounded the wounded animal, and Tharu knit his brow in thought as he looked over the poor creature. The raven was breathing and showed no signs of mutation that would typically be caused by the Shadow's influence. Its beady eye shifted to look up at him, silently pleading for his aid.

It could have been a trap. He'd seen far more convincing attempts. The safest thing to do would be to put the creature out of its misery just to be sure. Any Shadow within it would die off quickly, and yet...

Against his better judgement, Tharu reached out and scooped the bird into his hands, focusing some of his life into the poor creature, who slowly let out a few long and droning cries before falling into a deep sleep in Tharu's hands. The bird would live, after a period of rest. Whatever ailments lied within the creature would begin to stitch back together, healing over and being born anew.

It wasn't until he flipped the creature onto it's back to examine its underside that he realized the true nature of the raven. A flower shaped mark on its belly, glowing faintly in the sunlight. It all made sense now.

"Shay! Come here a moment, would you?" Tharu stood, holding out the small creature with a small smile on his features. Whatever trepidation there had been was gone now, it seemed. "Take him and keep him safe. I believe he carries a message for me from the King." Just as Tharu had told her, the flower signified a being under protection of the Spring. It explained how the bird was clinging so tightly to life.

"I hesitate to burden you any further, but you don't seem to mind my presence." Tharu offers a light tease. "Once I'm sure the Dark One isn't lurking in the Vitae lands, I think some more time with just the two of us would be quite pleasant..."

Shay didn’t want to stay back, it wasn’t like her to just standby and let others take care of a situation. Yet, she found herself doing just as Tharu asked. Only he had seen what this shadow thing could do to people, animals even. Which meant he had the upper hand on what to look for and what to expect, not her. Of course, that didn’t keep her from inching closer as he took hold of the Raven. Even lifting herself up on her tiptoes, leaning this way and that to try and get a look at what he was doing.

Shay! Come here a moment, would you?

No hesitation had her by his side in a matter of seconds, looking up the now sleeping raven within his hands. “Oh” Shay quietly said as he started to hand it over to her. Shay took hold of it gently, laying it in her arm and up against her body as one would a little babe. Purely instinct really. Doing so would keep its body temp regulated as it slept and mended.

“A message? As in, it was carrying parchment with a message or?..”
She wasn’t going to imply that this Raven could speak or that he could speak to it but hell, a lot had happened within the last twenty four hours and she wouldn’t be surprised by anything at this point. "It'll be safe with me, that I promise."

Shay wasn’t sure how to respond to what he said next. Was he just being polite and in truth didn’t wish to get to know her? Had she overstepped and taken it too far? “Oh. Well, if you have any hesitations then maybe we shouldn’t. For now. I’m sure you have far more pressing matters to attend to than to waste time with some..random girl.. Princely duties and such.” She laughed, trying to brush off the embarrassment she felt. “I apologize for bringing it up, I shouldn’t have.”

Shay cleared her throat as she turned to head back towards the wreckage of the fire. “Was there anything odd or out of place from where you were looking? I don’t know what could have caused a fire out of nowhere.. Well, save for a fire sprite but they’re not known to be in this forest.” A change of subject maybe?

Tharu San'Seya

It was beginning to dawn on Tharu just now how silly it was that they were juggling such a serious situation with clumsy attempts at flirtation from both of them. Now that he wasn't worried about a monstrosity forming out of the poor wounded bird, he let himself take a step back and laugh a little bit. Not just at the fumbling they were both doing, but at just how much he'd yet to learn about interacting with people of his own kind.

Crossing his arms over his midsection, he shook his head, still smiling. "I can't see anything beyond the ordinary, but it's possible that the message the raven carries will have the answers we seek." Nairth was far more powerful than he; it wasn't hard to imagine perhaps the King had noticed something from afar that he could not even at this close proximity to the event. "And don't apologize, Shay. I understand. I'm... kind of in the same boat, to be frank with you." The hilarity of it all made being honest a bit easier. "I feel... something... around you, and I'd like to explore it further."

Once Shayleigh had the bird secure and Tharu had given the scene one more look-over for any lingering signs of corruption, he deemed their work to be finished. The day was half gone, and right now he wanted a bath and some food more than anything. By the time he'd done that, the raven should be ready to deliver its parcel. Raising from his knees after rolling a few singed blades of grass around in his palm, he deftly turned back to Shayleigh and sprinkled the grass back onto the ground. "Alright, then. Back to camp. I need to wash all of this soot off of my skin, and I haven't eaten all day. Surely you're parched as well?"

A smile met her as he walked past, offering his body for support should her ankle still be sore. "Come on. Let's relax until the raven awakens. No doubt my father will be awaiting my reply in short order, and I scant like keeping him waiting. You can show me somewhere I can get cleaned up."

Shay kept her movements steady, at least as steady as she could due to the wound. She was more concerned about jostling the raven then she was her ankle, damned wolf, though she still couldn’t blame it for what had happened. Ignoring the irritating burn moving through her leg while she put too much weight on that foot, the best she could do to not to wobble as she walked.

Head lifted and turned at Tharu’s admission..”I apologized because I know it’s silly and being in your position, a prince, I know you’ve got to be tremendously busy. Asking you to give up your time seems.. rude in a way. The last thing I’d want to do is waste your time” Shay offered a smile, letting her eyes linger on him a moment before turning back to scanning the ground.

She’d lost all sense of time, not that it truly mattered considering why they were out here in the first place. Shay didn’t care how long she had to be out here to figure out who or what had caused this. It wasn’t until he spoke about heading back to get cleaned up and grabbing something to eat, that she realized she too was famished. She’d also taken note of the fact that her bare feet and parts of her legs were covered in soot.

“Now that you mention it, I am rather hungry. There may still be some leftovers from last night in my basket, that is if something else hasn’t gotten to it already.” She laughed. Shay didn’t hesitate in taking his help this time, she needed to rest her ankle and make sure the raven stayed safely snuggled in her arm. Shay moved her arm between his body and arm, fingers coming to wrap around his bicep gently. “Thank you" Nodding to his arm "for the help”

“Do you remember seeing the thick treeline towards the north, a few yards from where we slept last night?” She asked as they made their way back. “Just beyond that treeline is a river canopied amongst the trees with a small waterfall, perfect for washing. It’s beautiful..” Was also her little secret go-to but that didn’t really matter.

Once they made it back to camp Shay pointed in the direction of the river “Just there, beyond the trees.. You go clean up and I’ll keep watch on the raven.” Taking a few hops over to where the blanket still lay and sat, making sure to keep her grimy feet and legs off the blanket. “Take your time and enjoy, the water is usually warm and you’ll likely not even want to leave it.” Shay laughed.

Tharu San'Seya

Shayleigh seemed to think she was doing him a disservice by asking for time with him to herself. Tharu saw it quite contrary, and he couldn't help smiling and shaking his head as he held her up with one side of his body on their trip back. "Come now. With all of the political gymnastics and travel that my job puts me through, some time to spend with somebody I care about sounds nearly divine by comparison."

Perhaps it sounded forward to so bluntly say he cared about her, but at the very least had they not forged a friendship? Even if nothing more came of the strange feelings she gave him, there would at least be that.

Even more than that, there was no reason for her to be thanking him. Were it not for him, it's likely the near-crisis that they'd so narrowly averted would never have come to be. Tharu was the one that ought to be grateful if anybody. Pulling the arm she held on to in close, he laughed softly as they cleared the trees and neared their 'camp' for lack of a better word. "I'm far more thankful. I know trouble seems to follow me, and I put you at risk. Still, you helped me manage a situation that would have been far worse otherwise."

Gingerly she detached herself from him and hopped over to the blanket, her own legs just as filthy as he was. The place she described would be easy enough to find on his own, but... he couldn't help but feel as though it wasn't right to at least offer... Crossing his arms over his midsection, Tharu felt his gaze travel to the ground beside her, rather than Shayleigh herself as heat briefly rushed to his cheeks at merely the thought.

"You're just as soiled as me. Perhaps we should both go? You could... show me where it's at, exactly. I hate to leave you dirtied while I enjoy the waters..." Quickly he cleared his throat, adding. "Of course, if you're against the idea, that's fine as well. I just... I'd rather you be there." For safety's sake, of course. Tharu wasn't planning anything untoward.

It was almost whimsical, the laughter that came from her while Tharu did his best to make it sound as if he truly did want to spend time with her. Which, maybe he did.. Maybe he wasn't just trying to be nice in make her feel better about what she'd said. "Divine?! I'm not sure I'd describe spending time with me as divine Tharu." Shay laughed again, gripping lightly at his arm as they continued their way back. "Well, you tell me what works for you and I'll see if my schedule is clear" She joked as a gentle pat to his hand was given.

"Don't mention it, really. What happened, happened. I was no more at risk then I would have been any other given day, no blame lies with you." That was all she would say regarding it as it seems they'd both be going back and forth about it given the chance.

She'd no sooner sat, laying the crow atop her legs before he was suggesting they both go, together. Pulse quickened at just the mention of it and damned if her cheeks didn't feel as if they were burning. Just that caused far to many thoughts to rush through her already tired mind.. Should she?! It was nothing but a dip to clean up, nothing more, it was harmless. "Um, yea.. Sure. Just need to find a safe place for the crow once we're there." Shay said as she lifted the crow towards him "Can you take him just for a moment please?" Once he took it she pushed herself back up with just a slight wince.

Gathering both blankets, as both would need something to use to dry off with and their clothing wasn't an option, considering they were soiled too. Slinging them over her arm before reaching out for the crow "I can take him back" Once he handed the crow back over, Shay would begin leading him towards the hidden river amongst the trees.

istockphoto-694240732-612x612.jpg

It didn't take them that long to come to the thick line of trees, weaving between the delicate foliage. "Just a little further" And it was. The sound of the waterfall could be heard as they drew closer, the river was like a hidden gem tucked away and kept safe. It took her breath away literally every time she came to it, as it did again as they walked through the last of the line of trees. Shay inhaled softly and smiled. "This is it. Have you seen anything more beautiful?" Likely a stupid question since he's traveled and she has not, so yes, he probably had..

Tharu San'Seya

• Bless