Private Tales Of Sand & Dragonfire

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Hyssop wrinkled her brow as Nica tossed the tea onto the floor. It... had a strange cast to it, but perhaps that was just the tea itself.

"We don't expect a formal tea service," Hyssop told him gently as they all ate. "It's better right now to use your magic sparingly. Your fire's depleted."

It was good that Nica ate slowly. It wouldn't upset his stomach. The pet took the teapot and teacups away to brew another batch fresh, and this time she poured the tea for them.

"We'll be able to help you mend better there," Hickory agreed. "It would be a shame for another dahn to die out completely."

Hyssop sighed and shook her head. It was one thing to think it, and another thing to actually say it aloud. Even she knew that.

"Would you rather ride on my back or on Hickory's?" she asked, guiding the subject back to safer ground. "I think it will be better for you if you don't try to shift anytime soon. Not until you've regained some weight and muscle."

Ausar listened carefully to Rheinhard's explanation, though his metaphor was... not the best for explaining. He thought he understood, though. He was clearly going to have to find a way to shield his magic, make it so none of the Volkers could tap into it without his knowledge beforehand.

"I think I understand," he muttered, gently nudging Seteta side and sitting up. He crossed his legs under the blankets, crossing one arm over his chest and resting his chin on his other hand. Ausar closed his eyes, focusing as he felt Rheinhard reach out to him.

The bond itself, that vibrant cord in the back of his mind, wasn't intrusive and dark. But the energy that came across it made him want to shudder, though he held it back.

"So I would... grasp it like so?" Ausar murmured, reaching his own magic and energy across the bond until it collided with Rheinhard's. In contrast to Rheinhard's, Ausar's magic was like the blazing sun on the midday sand.

Seteta sat between the two, biting the inside of her lip anxiously as she watched. It was... so strange to see her father learning about the Well. Commanding it. Her heart ached strangely. If she hadn't stepped into her power so quickly, so abruptly... Nestor wouldn't be as confused as he was now. Rheinhard wouldn't have died. But then... Tianau would have still slept, tucked away in that bleak hall, for perhaps even years more.

Gods, it was... nothing was what she'd expected now. She'd thought she'd bring Chaceledon back to the desert and marry him and start their own family. Part of her wished for that simplicity still, even though she'd willingly accepted the fate Aptuv offered her.

Nica looked down at his bowl, embarrassed. The pet served them tea, and Nica took a sip of his. “I thought…I could at least try. You’re guests here.” He muttered. He winced when the last of the water dragon dahns was mentioned. There were some of his people scattered throughout the earth, he was sure of it. Some water dragons had become hedahn after all. Maybe some of them had fled to the southern isles, or Xiuhatl.

For the most part, all of the formal water dragon dahns were dead. He was the last.

“I’ll ride with Hickory.” He said quietly. He was nervous that the older dragon could feel Oor’s presence.

Let them feed and clothe you. Endear yourself to one of the siblings. When it is time, we swallow this Dahn, and the next and the next. At the moment the only resources you’ve got are between your legs. We’ll make use of it. Oor sounded amused, almost giddy.

Rheinhard felt him recoil, then gently reach for the bond. Ausar felt warm, like the sun across his back. It was close to fire, heat soaked stone searing down the bond. He inhaled sharply, and backed away from the power he felt there. He didn’t need Ausar pouring himself into him. “Usually…only when I am injured.” He said softly. “But yes. That is how we commune. Other than this, it is only inside the Well.”

He looked at Ausar, studying him a moment. Was he ready to hold this for a while? It was a test of Rheinhard’s trust as much as it was a test of Ausar’s ability to lead and guide. “How do you feel?” Rheinhard asked. He wanted to make sure Ausar was well enough, especially after Nestor’s mistake. He wasn’t sure he should broach the subject of making up with the surly poisoner. It wasn’t his place to suggest it. A master of the Well didn’t need to be friends with the dogs he commanded.

Hyssop set down her food and reached over to gently squeeze Nica's wrist. "We don't expect to be treated like guests when we come as physicians," she reassured him.

Hickory nodded in agreement when Nica said he'd ride with him. "We can go when you're finished eating, then," Hickory stated. "Hyssop and the pet can secure the manor and follow behind us."

The pet heaved a sigh of relief that she wasn't going to be expected to clean the whole estate on her own.

"Is there anything in particular you would like brought to Dahn Prunella, asaya?" The pet quietly asked Nica. "Personal mementos or clothing?"

Ausar let his magic fade away as Rheinhard backed off the bond. But now, at least, he understood how it worked. He would just need to find a way block access of the illusion magic from it.

"You can use the bond to speak with those awake within the Well, too," Seteta told Ausar. "I would often speak with Nestor through it, especially when we first reunited with Chaceledon's family. He could translate for me or guide me through their complicated etiquette when Chaceledon wasn't around."

Although... she doubted Nestor would cooperate for Ausar quite as easily. Not unless her father found a way to endear himself to the broken man in the next week or so.

"I'll be fine," Ausar reassured Rheinhard. "The toll is paid now, I'm just tired. I'm sorry, bit," he turned back to Seteta, "but I don't think I'll be of much use today."

Seteta shook her head. "I hadn't planned for us to use illusions today yet anyway," she said. "We need to plan the performance still. But if at all possible, we need to complete that phase today. Keket is gathering the people I need, and they should be ready soon."

Then she glanced over at Rheinhard.

"I... wanted to discuss something else with the two of you," Seteta said, dropping her voice low and quiet. "I will be shocked if Oor--the wraith who created the Well, and Chaceledon's captor--" she clarified for her father, uncertain if they'd ever mentioned his name, "doesn't interfere with the Name day. It would probably be best if he continues to think that I hold the Well. But I don't know if he'll be able to sense.the magic, or how well, since he created it, even if he doesn't hold it anymore."

The only weakness in the plan would.be Persian. He knew she didn't carry the Well right now, but she wasn't certain Persian would be in contact with Oor at all.

Nica nodded. “One thing…” he rose slowly, shakily, and made for the stairs. He had to go slowly, and use the banister to keep himself upright. He returned to his room, and opened a drawer on his vanity. He pulled out a string of pearls, singing with water magic. It was the last remnant of his family. He tucked them to his chest a moment, relishing in the warm, clean waters those pearls promised. He missed his parents, and his Dahn. The other thing he grabbed was a ring made by Chaceledon, from a single pearl the color of salmon flesh. It was intricately wrapped in gold wire. He tucked it into his pockets next to the pearl string.

He came back down haltingly, gripping the railing. “I’m ready.” He said softly.

And so am I.

Rheinhard nodded. “You can speak down it. All you need to do is grasp it as you’ve done before, and speak to the Well. I can hear it, and they can hear it as well.” He clarified, and fell silent. Nestor may not want to speak to Ausar. The man was still upset. He weighed Seteta’s words. “Oor will try. I no longer think his goal is Chaceledon or I. For some reason…he desires a link to the dragons. There is some other goal we are missing.”

Rheinhard, gently butted his head against Seteta. “Be slow in your preparations, slow and thoughtful.” He reminded her. “Chaceledon will never forgive me if he comes back and you are ill.”

"Let's go then," Hickory said as he finished his food, nodding to Hyssop. "We'll see you back home, sister."

Hyssop handed Hickory his medical kit, and smiled. "Fly safe."

Then she turned back to the pet, and the two of them started clearing away the dishes on the table. No sense in leaving a mess to attract flies.

Hickory offered Nica his elbow and led him outside, then stepped to the side to slip out of his clothes, carefully folding them up and putting them into his kit before shifting forms. He waited for Nica to climb onto his back, ready to twist around and nudge him up with his snout if Nica struggled.

"Will you be warm enough in the air?" Hickory asked. He should have thought to ask if Nica had a blanket or coat to bring. "If you need to, tuck yourself into my mane to stay warm."

He waited another moment for Nica to settle, and then leapt into the air.

A link to the dragons... something niggled at the back of Seteta's mind, something... from Nailah's time. But when she reached for it, the thought vanished like mist. She huffed and frowned.

"I feel like there's something I should know," she said. "But... it will have to wait."

She smiled as Rheinhard gently headbutted her. "He has no reason be upset with you over that," Seteta groused. "I am my own woman. But I will not overexert myself."

She sighed and rolled her shoulders. "We should head down to the others and get started on catching them all up on what's going on and what's required. We can have breakfast brought for you too, mit."

Ausar nodded. "I'll be down soon. Let me bathe first."

Nica took Hickory’s arm and leaned on him as they walked outside. He eyed the other dragon; honestly, a few thousand years ago he would have played up his condition to get Hickory to roll in the hay with him. After all, there were some dragons who would have relished the position of power they had in coming to the aid of a failing Dahn.

The doctor was clearly not so savage-minded. Nica watched him as he shifted, and slowly attempted to clamber on. He blushed when the other dragon had to gently nuzzled him aboard; he wasn’t strong enough to pull even his feather weight aboard. He hunkered down into Hickory’s mane, stroking his fingers through it.

“You’re beautiful.” He complimented the other dragon. He clung to him like a squirrel as the dragons ascended into the air, and Nica sighed. It was nice for others to fly. Water dragons preferred to swim whenever possible. Honestly, he’d never seen the fuss about flight when the entire ocean was another world awaiting travelers.

He laid his cheek against Hickory’s neck. The other dragon was so muscular; clearly he didn’t worry about appearances.

Rheinhard huffed. “You know Chaceledon. I am supposed to look after you when your mate isn’t here.” He told her. He stood up to follow her; while his instincts told him to stay near the bond, it felt awkward being near Ausar.

The next two days were quiet, full of study. Nestor, Ferenzi and Tianau had frequent spats, but they were slowly settling into a hierarchy again. Ferenzi on top, Nestor beneath him, and Tianau beneath both of them as the pup of the group. While the Volkers tried to distance themselves from the symbol of being dogs, sometimes Rheinhard thought the metaphor was apt. How did one calm dogs? Put them together and let them fight until a pecking order settled the group.

"Thank you," Hickory rumbled, if a bit gruffly, at Nica's compliment, but made no further comment of his own. Nica was his patient, which would make any sort of overture on his part inappropriate.

Besides, even if Nica would be quite lovely when he was healthy again, Hickory had seen the longing in his eyes every time he looked at Chaceledon. Much like Hyssop, Hickory had no desire to be second or third wheel in a relationship. He wouldn't be used to make someone else jealous, either.

"Sleep if you need to," Hickory called back to Nica. "We have a few hours of flight ahead of us."

Hickory fell quiet, only speaking again once Dahn Prunella came into view. "We're nearly there," he told Nica. "My father will come out to greet us and then we'll get you situated in a patient room. If you're feeling up to it, I'm sure my mother would love to serve you tea."

A short while later, he gently landed. Hawthorn was, as expected, waiting at the landing pad. A pet hurried forward to help Nica down. Another pet stood to the side with a fresh change of robes for Hickory.

"Where is your sister?" Hawthorn asked, eyes narrowing.

"She stayed behind at Dahn Abalone to help the pet ready the estate to be closed up long-term," Hickory answered as he shifted back and dressed. "They should be an hour two behind us at most. Chaceledon left before breakfast to return to Dahn Hedoni."

Hawthorn frowned, but nodded, and then he turned to Nica, inclining his head gently in greeting.

"Welcome to Dahn Prunella, Nica," Hawthorn smiled. "We've met before, but you were quite a bit younger. I am Hawthorn, the head physician. As Hickory and Hyssop are both still under my supervision, I will also be seeing to your care. Please rest assured, though, that everything between the four of us will remain confidential. My wife, Hana, will be glad to socialize with you, but do not feel pressured into accepting her invitations unless you wish to do so."

Ausar was feeling mostly himself again by the second day and helped Seteta to make a long-term plan for preparing for the Nameday. They'd confirmed the actual date of it with Seikilos, and made a practice schedule around Seteta's healer-mandated schedule.

The performers and choreography had been confirmed, and Seteta had brought in a couple of the pets to help start with preparations for Chaceledon, whenever he returned. All the necessary measurements had been taken, though Seteta said she didn't dare order fabric or anything. She had simply written down a list of requirements for Chaceledon to reference. The performers had to be able to use their arms and legs to guide the magic, and they'd included some color suggestions as well, based on the theme of the performance they were going to do.

He'd given Nestor space for those couple of days too, staying out of the Well completely and letting the three inhabitants settle their own squabbles.

While it didn't feel peaceful when he stepped back into the Well, it certainly felt more settled.

Ausar nodded to Ferenzi, greeted Tianau quietly with a kiss and apologized that he wasn't there to spend time with him, and went to Nestor.

"I think the two of us need a fresh start," Ausar said softly. "Would you spend some time with me? I'd like to talk with you, and show you someplace."

Nica closed his eyes and curled up. Sleep was a difficult concept. He had nightmares that surrounded him in bad memories and images of his parents, and shivered on Hickory’s back. He wasn’t entirely sure upon awaking that Oor hadn’t been dredging them up. He sat up and did his best to fix his hair as they landed. He refused aid, preferring to shakily land on his feet like a weak lamb than be touched by a pet. He still had scraps of his pride, after all. He stumbled a bit, and fell forward in front of Hickory. He managed to shift it so it looked like he had fallen into a rather ungainly bow, on his knees with his hands before him on the landing pad. He owed the dahnesh and Dahna Prunella a lot.

Even if this wasn’t entirely an honest hospital visit. “I think, Dahnesh, I would like to rest.” He said softly. “Hickory? Would you be so kind as to show me to my room?” He rose when he was bid.

Work on Hickory. Men are weaker than women, but my magic has burned you. You need to be pretty enough for him.

Cassius sat in his garden, staring at the letter. “What in the hell is this supposed to mean?” He muttered. He had one foot in the pool his son was slowly growing in, maintaining the temperature as well as he could while Baylock fussed over the water. Was Hyssop implying not taking nehmaji was dooming his son? He looked down at the baby dragon.

He was still so underweight, and sickly. Baylock purified the water day and night but for every sore that healed two more popped up. The trolless was worried, and it had taken a toll on both of them. Cassius felt like he’d not slept well in weeks. He’d had to turn away most social engagements, which resulted in furious letters from his father and beseeching messages from Peridot.

Cassius rubbed a hand across the back of his neck. If it was because his fire still laid dormant…what did that mean for their babe?

Tianau greeted Ausar with a kiss, and frowned. He wasn’t here to see him? He glared at Nestor jealously. Of course. He had to go coddle the academic. Gods, he hated that bespectacled old man!

Nestor eyed Ausar warily. He was seated next to the office, making notes on the changes in the Well. He put away his pen and shut the book, tucking it carefully into his coat. “I appreciate the olive branch.” He said stiffly, rising to his feet. “Where are we going, then?” He assumed the Arena.

“Call me if you need help with him.” Ferenzi smirked. Nestor lifted his chin and didn’t dignify that with a response.

Last edited:
"I'm sorry, love," Ausar apologized when Tianau frowned, cradling his cheek in his hand for a moment. "I'll make time for you soon, I promise."

He smiled when Nestor agreed, and once the man stood, he fell in step beside him as they entered the arena, ignoring Ferenzi's comment.

"Someplace important to me," Ausar murmured.

He kept a small amount of distance between himself and Nestor, not reaching for the man's hand. Ausar had decided something over the last couple of days--he would wait for Nestor to initiate physical contact again. It had become clear that Nestor couldn't separate sex and affection, and Ausar didn't want to keep confusing him.

As Ausar's foot fell on the Arena's sand floor, everything around them shifted.

They stood deep in the desert, tall sandstone cliffs surrounding them, and the wind whistling through it. The sun's heat was barely noticeable, and Ausar led Nestor through the winding chasm until a cave appeared ahead of them.

His steps slowed, and he paused outside the cave's entrance for a moment.

"I have only ever come here with Rehema and Seteta," Ausar told Nestor. Not even Tianau knew of this place. His voice was quiet, and his eyes sad. "I know some of my actions have... made you think that I consider you a toy. Something easily cast aside.

"I promise that you are not. Everything I told you that first day in the sunroom... I meant it. If you want a relationship, I will give you one.

"But I hope that by bringing you here... you'll understand that I'm not just toying with you."

Ausar stepped inside the cave, then, and when Nestor followed him, he would see a shrine of sorts.

Three braziers lined the back wall of the cave... but on the sand floor before them stood five small headstones, names etched into them.

"These are my children," Ausar said softly. "The ones born before Seteta lived. Normally we Inizae burn our dead but... neither Rehema nor I could bear to do so with them."

Some of them... they'd been so small when Rehema's pregnancies failed. A funeral pyre had seemed excessive.

Hyssop and the pet dragged the last of the luggage together outside Dahn Abalone's estate. Foodstuffs that would go bad just sitting there, and the things they'd brought with them, plus her own medical kit. Hyssop looked at the pile and sighed, then eyed the pet, gnawing her lip.

"We're going to make a detour," Hyssop declared as she began to strip off her clothes. "And I need you to keep it secret, because everyone's going to assume it's romantic and it is not."

The pet giggled, and Hyssop scowled. Obviously the girl had put two and two together. Hana hadn't been able to stop talking of the possibility since she'd heard what had happened with Hyssop at the dinner party.

It was frustrating, because Hyssop wouldn't actually mind if she was sneaking off to Cassius' estate for a romantic rendezvous, but somehow he'd fallen in love with a swamp troll. A literal swamp troll.

She shifted, and helped the pet situate the harness on her that Hickory had worn the day before, then waited patiently for the pet to climb on her back and get comfortable.

"I'm ready," the pet called, and Hyssop launched into the air, adjusting her direction toward Cassius estate as she eyed the sky.

There's storms brewing, she laughed with relief, we can tell them we had to take shelter.

It might even be true.

By the time they reached Cassius' mountain estate, the wind was whipping around them and the first raindrops were beginning to splatter on Hyssop's scales. She landed quickly, not bothering to try and be graceful, and shifted, letting the halter fall off of her as her form shrank. The pet quickly handed over her robes, and the two hurriedly gathered up the luggage and dragged it out of the open area as the downpour began.

Nestor could appreciate the beauty of the canyon. The wind had blown the rocks smooth around them, and if he looked closely he could see natural striations and variations in color. He walked next to Ausar, arms across his chest, wondering what the end game was. As they reached the cave he recognized the shift in mood. Ausar wasn’t angry at him. He was sad, and contemplative.

As they stepped inside, Nestor eyed the little headstones. He didn’t see the connection at first. What did dead babies have to do with him? Women miscarried, things died. It was the way of the world and of nature. Suffering was the language of life. Clearly, it was hurting Ausar. Nestor bit his tongue, and looked. He read the names, and walked slowly around the chamber.

Normally the Inizae burned their dead. That meant that the Autumn Court wouldn’t have received them. Nestor touched one of the gravestones, and looked up at Ausar.

“They might be dead, but they aren’t alone.” He said quietly. “More than likely the Autumn Court has them. Their spirits aren’t in this lonely place, but in a place underground full of pretty mosaics and music. They’ll have been cared for, and cherished, until it felt right to submit them to the great cycle to which we are all chained.”

All of them except men like himself. He approached Ausar again, standing in front of him. He looked down at his feet for a moment. “I think it would be good for you to see..”

Pets hurried out of the estate to take the luggage and harness, and erect a madly blowing parasol over Hyssop. “We’re terribly sorry asayi, we weren’t expecting company!” The pet called carrying the umbrella called over the din, hurrying her inside and gesturing for towels and tea to be brought.

Hyssop was given towels to relieve her from the rain and the pet folded his umbrella, giving her a welcoming smile. “Welcome to the home of Cassius, first son of Dahn Peridot. Shall we make up a room for you?” The pet was clearly taken by surprise; they weren’t expecting any visitors and hadn’t for weeks. With no chaperone as well! Or was this lone pet her chaperone? “It’s a bit unorthodox, you realize…we’ll house you on the opposite wing to asaya Cassius, just to satisfy modesty.” The pet clarified apologetically. A runner was sent to inform their master.

“Asaya?” The pet hurried down the steps of the garden, brushing aside greenery. The greenhouse was thundering with rain, and the patting of fat raindrops on the glass drowned out most sound. “Asaya! A female dragon is here to see you.”

Baylock looked between Cassius and the pet in confusion. Who on earth could be visiting in such a storm!

“Do you have enough hot water to keep him warm?” Cassius asked.

“For a little while, don’t tarry.” Baylock clicked her tongue and stroked her hand down their son’s back.

Last edited:
"They aren't alone, either way," Ausar said with a sad smile as he watched Nestor look around the place. "Aptuv shelters the souls of our dead, although I'm sure some end up in your Autumn Court as well."

Despite their... disagreements with the fae, it wouldn't surprise Ausar if Aptuv sent the souls of children to such a place to await their families, whether in death or in rebirth. Childhood was sacred to them, after all, and should be spent joyously. Even in death.

Ausar watched as Nestor approached him again, his eyes still sad but a subtle fondness shining in them.

"It's all right," Ausar murmured. "I didn't bring you here to comfort me. I wanted to show you something that was important to me, to show you that I trust you. You've given me quite a lot of yourself, and it... seemed appropriate.

"If you want to show me, though, I won't refuse."
An almost playful smile teased at the corner of his mouth.

If Nestor reached for the Arena to shift the scene, he would find Ausar's hold on it lax and easy to take over. He wasn't trying to control it today, just use it.

Hyssop shook her head. "No room, unless this storm doesn't abate. If you can help my pet to dry off and warm up, though, I'd appreciate it."

A wave of magic radiated out of Hyssop, warming the air around her and gently drying her clothes as she hiked up the robes of her skirt and followed, although at a distance, behind the pet heading to the greenhouse. She carried her medical kit with her.

Once within the greenhouse, though, she lingered back. She didn't want to frighten Baylock and Cassius, and when the pet returned with Cassius almost on their heels, Hyssop saw how the pet's eyes widened with fright.

"Forgive my intrusion," Hyssop said, speaking loudly over the storm. "I had an unexpected chance to come without supervision, so I took it. I don't intend to stay for long, but I wanted to make sure you'd received my letter."

She held up her medical kit as well. "I also wanted to check on your son, and get some of the blood samples we discussed before."

“Carruth is death itself. All men end up with him, whether they like it or not.” Nestor sighed, and regarded Ausar with a look. There was that smirk again. “Let me show you where your children rest, at least until Carruth shuffles them to the next life.” He touched one of the gravestones, mildly surprised that Ausar didn’t have a death grip on the place. Instead he was able to take it quite easily, and the image of a cavern slowly melted into buildings.

Castigare, the main city of the Autumn Court, was anything but gloomy. Colorful tiles in dizzying patterns covered the streets, most of the buildings, and sculptures. Bright paper lanterns in a hundred colors hung from strings crossing the street. Despite being the land of the dead, it was very lively. There were musicians plying their trades, often with many more limbs than they’d been gifted with in life. There were skeletons with copper, gold, silver or pewter beaten onto their bones and engraved with all sorts of images, stories and gemstones.

“Festival of Newborns. They try and make it as happy for them as it is sad for the mothers above miscarrying and losing their babes in childbirth.” Nestor muttered.

A robed priest held a tiny newborn wrapped in linen, and offered it to the outstretched hands of a skeleton. The skeleton cradled the dead babe to her, and the little one stirred to grasp her finger. “Though they’ll never grow, and never learn to speak or walk, they’re given to ancestors, grandmothers, or mothers who lost their children.” Nestor sighed as he watched the memory. “Your children were here once. Even shapeless masses, they still had souls, and those are loved most of all.”

He said it…jealously. Nestor’s eyes were hard as he watched couples and mothers celebrate the unknown babes joining the dead. They were kissed and fussed over, and dabbed with bright powders on their noses, cheeks and foreheads. Nestor avoided looking at them. No Volker birth would ever be celebrated like that. He’d been a loathsome curse to his mother. She’s have thrown him to the pigs if Oor hadn’t been watching her.

Cassius pulled up short when he saw Hyssop in the greenhouse. “Hyssop?” He questioned.

“You two really shouldn’t be without a chaperone…” the pet admonished. “You’re both unmarried.” Cassius waved him off with a muttered note of dismissal.

“I got your letter…I’m not sure he’s going to make it much longer. He may not be strong enough to give you blood.” Cassius said quietly. He took her hand, and took her down to the pool. He looked down, and shook his head. The dragonling was skinny, with ulcers plaguing his delicate skin. Even with Baylock soothing them with clear waters, something was terribly wrong.

Baylock looked between Cassius and Hyssop, and took a deep breath. “If you’re right…the solution is obvious. You must guide Cassius through nehmaji.” She said stiffly. It was painful for her. She didn’t want to imagine Cassius with another woman…but nor could she bear to watch her child suffer.

“Baylock-“

“Don’t. If this has a chance of working…then I consent to it.” The trolless said, and looked back at her dying dragonling.

Ausar watched the place shift, and found himself smiling at the gaiety around them. Aptuv had never told them much of an afterlife, other than that it existed and that rebirth was a possibility. The god had always told them to be more concerned about their current lives than anything else.

He listened to Nestor, quietly watching what was clearly one of Nestor's own memories. His breath caught for a moment. Perhaps then... perhaps...

"Maybe Rehema's own father cradled them, then," he murmured softly, "or mine."

Nestor's tone was odd, though, and Ausar looked back to him, saw the hardness in the man's eyes as he watched the festival around them. "What's wrong?"

Hyssop frowned at Cassius' words, stepping to the side of the path as the pet passed.

"He's worsened that much? So quickly?" she asked gently, setting her hand in his and letting him lead her down to the pool. She frowned again when she saw... how utterly pristine the waters were. Had they not added the silt and soil like she'd suggested?

The dragonling was... not well. Those ulcers and... it was so weak. Baylock was clearly already grieving, and Cassius looked... very weary.

Hyssop silently took off her shoes, shooed Cassius away from the edge of the pool, and sat at the side, dangling her feet in the water. Cassius at least would feel her magic as she took over warming the pool.

She almost fell into the pool at Baylock's words, though. Hyssop took a steadying breath, and looked cautiously back and forth between the two.

"I don't think nehmaji will help this one," she said slowly, catching Baylock's gaze. "But other children you might have, certainly. And I think it would be best for someone besides myself to be the one to do nehmaji with Cassius. There are far stronger mages than I who are better suited to it."

“They usually try and find grandmothers or grandfathers. So…perhaps.” Nestor said, his voice a bit tight. He hated his circumstances. He should have been allowed to meet with his own mother or grandmother. Maybe things could have been different between him and his mother. Or between Lansom’s mother and Lansom.

He rubbed his arm, a wistful and sad expression on his face as he watched women cradle their departed grandchildren. “We lived here, but we never got to…be here. My mother hated me. Most of our mothers did. They wouldn’t want anything to do with us even if they were here.” Nestor sighed. He swallowed thickly, and rubbed his eyes harshly with the heel of a hand. “No sense moaning about it. It’s the same for all of us.”

Cassius’ face darkened. Other children? You’re giving up on him?” He looked down at the pool. “Please. We can’t give up now…I can’t give up now.”

Baylock stepped in front of Hyssop, glaring at her. “Cassius needs what you can provide him. He neglected his fire and our son is suffering for it…you can heal this. You can heal my husband and my son. Please. You’re a doctor.”

“Please. You’re the only one who figured this out. There is no one else.”

Ausar's hand twitched at his side. He wanted to reach for Nestor, to wrap his fingers around his wrist and tug the man close. Soothe away his heartache. But, he reminded himself, it was things like that which had led to the tense circumstances between him and Nestor now. Touch and affection when the man was emotionally distraught.

It had to be Nestor's choice from this point on. It simply had to.

"With the acknowledgment that bad mothers exist," Ausar said gently, clasping his own hands behind his back to keep from reaching for Nestor, "I would be shocked if every single mother of a Volker hated their child. It's simply not possible. But I imagine that many of them were overwhelmed by the circumstances, and lashed out because of that, in ways that seemed hateful to a child."

"I am not giving up on him," Hyssop huffed at Cassius, her nostrils flaring. "But I took an oath as a physician to not use my powers or my knowledge to cause harm or prolong senseless suffering. Look at him." She gestured at the hatchling within the pool. "You yourself told me on the way down here that you did not think he would survive long enough for me to take blood samples."

Hyssop turned back to the troll. "Baylock... doing nehmaji now for Cassius won't help this hatchling. Cassius has already given what he can of his fire to this one. I don't know if it can be stirred or awoken within the hatchling in time to save him, if it's even possible at all.

"And besides that, I deserve the right of refusal for nehmaji. It's my body as well as his that would be involved, and my emotions. No matter the circumstances, I deserve that respect. And this is where I draw the line. There is a certain level of trust and intimacy that must be there for nehmaji, and even if it might be possible between Cassius and myself, I do not wish to put myself in the position for that kind of heartache.

"If you wish to go through nehmaji,"
Hyssop told Cassius, her face drawn, "then you will do so in the same manner as every other dragon and respect our traditions. I will not do it secretly and shamefully."

She sighed, reaching up to scratch her fingers over her scalp, then locked her gaze with Baylock's again.

"I don't know if this is something I can heal. And sometimes... there are things that should not be healed, even if it's possible. Look at him. Look at your son, and tell me that you truly think he is strong enough to continue fighting. Because as much as you two might want him and love him, he is the one fighting this battle, and the choice is his more than anything else.

"He deserves to know your love, whether he chooses to rest or he chooses to fight. But you must allow him that choice."

Nestor pursed his lips. “They were right to hate us. They weren’t bad mothers. They were chosen by a monster, attacked by monsters. It drove my mother to the bottle and into the arms of a pig farmer. Ferenzi’s mother, the Viscountess Poier, spoke of a bird who would lay its eggs in the nests of others. The stranger child would then kill the siblings, and force the parents to raise a monstrous creature. That’s what we are.” He said quietly. “It’s not wrong to acknowledge the way of things. I don’t ever want to put a pretty face on it.”

Nestor gestured at the cheerful festival. It was an odd sight; zombies and skeletons tossing children into the air to squeals of delight, mothers sequested on benches singing to grandchildren long lost. The vision vanished, leaving them in the open arena again. “Damn our mothers, and grandmothers, and great grandmothers to whatever hell they deserve. We don’t need them.”

Nestor took his glasses off to clean them, glancing at Ausar. “I understand what it meant to show me those graves. I hope seeing where they went settled you a bit. I suppose some people find that more comforting than others.” He set them back on his nose. He could appreciate what Ausar had shown him. Most of his children were dead, and in the grand scheme of things it was likely he’d gotten lucky with Seteta.

Nestor wasn’t sure how he felt about it. He did want to surrender and explore that part of himself, but it was somehow darker and more terrifying than poisoning villages or entertaining Oor. That, and Ausar seemed to be making a concerted effort not to touch him.

“I’ve done some thinking. I understand I’ve been needlessly dramatic and embarrassed myself. It won’t happen again.” Nestor said stiffly. “I want to surrender. Whatever you have to teach me, I submit.”

Baylock turned a ferocious gaze on Cassius. “You think he’s going to die too, don’t you?” She snarled.

“He hasn’t improved in months. He barely eats…” Cassius only got about as far before Baylock marched over to him and cracked him across the face.

“Both of you out. Out! You dragons forgot the way of water centuries ago and it shows. I’ll care for him!” Baylock growled.

Cassius looked between his angry wife and Hyssop. He knew he owed the other dragon an apology. It wasn’t her fault he’d stood against tradition and refused nehmaji. He hadn’t thought of such a thing as being low enough to sell off. His wife, however, looked to take it out of his hide if he didn’t get out of the greenhouse. She was one of the few creatures who could. Cassius nodded upstairs, and beat a hasty retreat out of the garden.

Last edited:
The festival vanished, leaving just the sandy arena and its seats.

"You can acknowledge the trauma the Volkers and your mothers have been through," Ausar clarified, "while still also acknowledging that there was something you needed from your mother that you did not get. Some of them were likely bad mothers. Most of them were probably frightened mothers. A few of them probably loved their sons, but thought it would be easier at the end of things if their sons hated them.

"Most of them have likely condemned themselves often enough without you damning them as well."

He listened to Nestor's next words, chuckling a little, but giving the man a reassuring smile so he knew Ausar wasn't mocking him.

"You should not make promises you may not be able to keep. Responses to past trauma are not needless dramatics," Ausar spoke softly. He reached for the arena's magic again, and a moment later they were in a small tent, high afternoon sunlight gleaming through the walls. The quiet bustle of a camp, punctuated by the playful screeches of children, could be heard outside. The sandy floor was covered with a large rug, and upon it sat a low table with a steaming pot of tea and two cups. He gestured for Nestor to seat himself, then sat across from him. "And embarrassment... that only means there is some part of you that is ashamed or afraid of asking for what you need. You do not have to be embarrassed around me, of anything. The others... we'll work on that, over time."

Ausar quietly poured the tea, letting Nestor have a few moments to think over his words. He took a sip, then set his cup down, resting his hands on the table.

"You say you want to submit. To surrender, and learn what I can teach you," Ausar spoke slowly, meeting Nestor's gaze. "What does surrender and submission mean to you? What is it that you hope to learn?"

Hyssop averted her gaze for a moment as Baylock lashed out at her and Cassius. She shouldn't have been surprised. No mother enjoyed being confronted with their child's mortality.

Hyssop had dealt with it far too often among dragons. She looked up in time to catch Cassius' signal to leave but shrugged her shoulders, glancing back at Baylock. There was something else that needed to be tended to.

Without take her gaze from Baylock--she didn't think the troll would actually attack her, but she wanted to be ready just in case the mother's rage was that strong an unpredictable--Hyssop sent warmth into the water and the stones lining the pool, forcing as much heat into the rocks as she dared. It would radiate out for a while... perhaps an hour. No matter what Baylock, Cassius, and the hatchling decided, the babe needed warmth.

"The water will stay warm for a while now," Hyssop stated, pulling her feet out of the pool. She reached for her kit, and brought out a small tin of salve, pulling the top off it. It was... a little small for Baylock's fingers to manage. "This is made from white willow bark," she said, holding it out to Baylock, and then setting it near the troll. "It should help make the ulcers less painful."

She stood then, and left Baylock, taking her medical kit. When she reached Cassius outside the garden, she spoke. "I will leave when the child passes, or the storm. Whichever comes first."

It would not be appropriate for her to be there as Cassius and Baylock mourned.

"I... had hope the child had strengthened after the dinner," she said quietly, almost a whisper. "I would not have sent the false hope of nehmaji if I'd known he was this close to death. I did not mean to taunt Baylock or yourself."

Nestor studied Ausar as they entered the tent and sat. Like father like daughter; Ausar was very empathetic to their plight, yet he seemed to understand so little of it. Traumatic? Nestor hadn’t given a fig for his mother since the age of five or six. What he could blame her for was her weakness, and their circumstances. He would never end up like her. That was through his own hard work and dedication. If she’d crawled out of the bottle for ten minutes, perhaps she’d have been able to accomplish something.

Nestor banished thoughts of his mother as he sat down and picked up a cup of tea. “Master…with all due respect…the pecking order doesn’t change. I’ve lost my place and it’ll take months or years of beating Ferenzi to get it back. It doesn’t shift with love, or even with time and affection. We’ll never see each other as equals. I don’t want to be vulnerable in front of them, nor them in front of me.” He said, trying to keep the hard edge out of his voice.

He did glare at the last questions. “Fine. Since you seem to get off on me saying it verbally.” He set the cup down. “Sex, and whatever twisted dynamic you put on it between us, has been in my mind ever since you touched me. Ignoring it doesn’t work. If I can’t ignore it I have to repeat it until I either am satisfied enough to ignore you or I gain something from studying it. I’m starting to think that I dismissed men like Gere who used their bodies before becoming killers, and I want to rectify that. Clearly, he had the same power you do. That weird shift in emotions and…ability to think and reason…that doesn’t end until climax. I can’t ask Gere to teach me for the same reason I don’t ask Klaus for sewing lessons. So I ask you.”

Nestor met Ausar’s eyes. “I want to stop fighting this thing and learn from it. Your rules, your agreements, can be reinstated as long as they are private. I don’t need emotions. I’m dead. I don’t have stupid dreams of coming out of this place and being your second wife like Tianau does. I don’t want to fall in love with you, or get attached, and if I’m careful that won’t happen. But I do want to have sex with you.” He said carefully.

Baylock stood still, keeping herself between Hyssop and the babe. She took the salve, and sniffed it; she wasn’t a fool and she recognized the familiar scent of willow bark. “Get out.” Was all she reiterated before dropping into the pool and beginning to treat her son’s wounds.

Cassius hesitated, torn between helping her and doing as she asked. He sighed, and left the garden, closing the door behind Hyssop. He stood in front of it as though he could see his child and girlfriend from the door, arms folded across his barrel chest. “You really think he’s doing to die?” He asked Hyssop in a distant voice. “If it is nehmaji…then this is my fault. I’ve killed him.” His voice grew tight. “I killed my own child.”

Tears spilled down his cheeks, and he sank down to the floor. He settled his back to the door. “I’m not strong enough to go through it, Hyssop…I don’t want this to be a bidding war…I don’t want something so beautiful tainted by…by money and greed…that’s why I never did it…”

Ausar's eyes twinkled with amusement for a moment but he listened carefully to Nestor's words, as contradictory as some of them were.

"It's not that I find amusement or pleasure in making you speak of these things," Ausar said when Nestor finished, "it's that there can be too many misunderstandings when things are left unsaid. You might say or imply something in the heat if the moment, and I may or may not understand your true desire or intent.

"These things need to be clarified beforehand, with clear minds. The only reason I used sex the very first time was because you wouldn't respond to anything else."

Ausar sighed and took a sip of tea again.

"As for the punishment for taking my magic for your own use... it was punishment, Nestor. And I will remind you that I gave you a choice. You chose the sunroom.

"From the rules I gave you, the only ones I ever intended to be public was that you would call me master, and your deference to my judgement on matters concerning Seteta. Not for any sexual reason, but because you challenged my authority as Steward of the Well thoughtlessly and carelessly, and you did it in front of the others. Therefore, your submission to my authority should be acknowledged in front of them as well."

"I cannot say whether he will live or die," Hyssop sighed, glancing away as Cassius' emotions overcame him. This was... not appropriate at all. He should be showing these things to Baylock, not her. "But if he lives, it will be a miracle, and I don't make guarantee of those."

She heaved another sigh, leaning against the wall by the door and resting her head against it.

She could understand his reluctance about nehmaji, but their loathsome traditions around it didn't make it any less essential.

"Then take control of it yourself," she suggested quietly, her voice barely more than a whisper. "Throw the party yourself. Take the bid offers and select your own companion for it. Or perhaps even turn it in its head completely and make bids yourself for the companion you think your most compatible with.

"Our society will never change until some of us are willing to uproot these traditions."

She stepped away from the wall, and faced Cassius. "You should not be out here, though. I know Baylock is angry, but she is your wife and that is your son in there. Even if she rips you to shreds, you should not leave your son's side right now. Or hers.

"Baylock needs you right now, even if she is angry with you."

They shouldn't make the same mistakes her parents had.

Nestor looked Ausar up and down as he finished speaking. “I understand your punishment. The alternative was spending months or years in that horrific dream, and I wasn’t doing that for anything. I am not going back to sleep again.” He muttered. “I chose the lesser of two evils.”

He wasn’t so sure about declaring it so publicly, but he was going to have to take a bigger leap sometime. Wasn’t this what he wanted? To study? Perhaps this was part of it. He took a deep breath. “I’m trusting you.” He said quietly. “I’ll do what you say, if it means to learn. You abuse it and I will put you on your rear, understand me? I’m slow to trust. I know nothing about this…sexual healing. Just what you’ve shown me. Studying things is important to me.”

He stretched a hand across the table. The same as he had done to Oor. “Is this agreeable to you?”

Cassius looked up at her. Take charge of it himself? It had never been done before. Women and men weren’t allowed to take control of their own nehmaji. Then again, he was a grown man. He had his own businesses and his own estate. He was more independent than most men still under the thumb of a Dahna. He could do it. He could take charge of his own fate like no dragon had done before.

He was surprised to find he agreed with her. No husband of dragon descent would stay with a wife during such a trial. They were seen as private woman’s woes. His upbringing commanded he stay away until the babe had died and Baylock was presentable. But his heart was with her. He stood to the sound of mournful singing coming from the greenhouse.

“She’s singing to her ancestors for him…to the god of the waters.” He said quietly. “Aptuv…thank you, Hyssop.” He opened the door, and shut it behind him. He descended the staircase, and joined her with a deep voice. They sang together for their child.

A pet approached Hyssop and bowed. “Food has been prepared, as has your room. The storm has not abated.” The pet said neatly. “Asaya…what is happening in that greenhouse isn’t holy. You should end the abomination’s suffering, and do it quickly.”

Last edited:
"I will not abuse your trust," Ausar promised, reaching over to shake Nestor's hand without hesitation. "I may make some mistakes, simply because I am human, but I will not hurt you or betray you intentionally..." his voice trailed off for a moment and he smirked. "Except for the pain you might ask for. But in exchange, you must keep an open mind. Things like this don't always go the way one might expect, especially with your emotions."

Ausar sighed, and leaned back again. "Now that we're agreed on that... I've been thinking of your proposal for teaching the Inizae. I think having a way for you to appear as yourself when you're... controlling Rheinhard would be helpful so the Inizae know when it's you. I just... haven't quite figured out the logistics of it yet.

"But if we can figure it out... I'm wanting to know if we can make it so that it's not just you that shows your own form, but any Volker."

Then Klaus, or anyone else, wouldn't be able to try and sneak around with Rheinhard's appearance.

Hyssop sighed as Cassius returned to Baylock and his child. It was such a messy situation. She didn't want the babe to suffer, but she couldn't help but feel a little resentment at Cassius for dragging her into this clusterfuck.

She looked up at the sound of footsteps, and frowned slightly as the pet spoke. Well, at least her excuse for sheltering from the storm would be true. The pet's further words made her scowl.

"I will only ease the child's passing if Cassius or Baylock ask for me to do so," Hyssop said with a firm shake of her head. "I adhere to no god or form of worship, so whether something is holy or not concerns me little. It it still a living being, and there are certain things I must respect in that regard as a physician.

"Do not ask such a thing of me again, and do not ask such a thing of the physicians of Dahn Prunella ever in the future."

Hyssop stepped away from the wall and made to follow the pet. "Please show me to my rooms, and bring my meal there."

Nestor raised an eyebrow. He mulled it over for a moment, and took out his notebook. “I have an idea. There are ways to heal us, especially if we’re gone for especially long periods of time or times where Oor may not have been able to reach us shortly. There were ways to lend power out, or make sure that the door between us shut only part way. Enough for us to heal, not enough for us to hurt Oor. Believe me, we tried. You could do the same with us, but not for physical wounds. For appearance.” He said, and flipped the book around so Ausar could see.

“Right. This is a mathematical table. Numbers that show a trend. I began assigning values to these modicuma of power and noting how much or how little they could heal. This could give you a baseline for the Well.” Nestor tapped the table. “The formula has a trending line that isn’t consistent, but I’ve also never had a willing mathematical partner before. I wonder if an overwhelming surge was responsible for Tianau’s body shift. If we uncover that, perhaps it does not always have to be an illusion.”

Nestor settled back with a self-satisfied look. “Well, Master, what do you think?” He asked smugly.

The pet gave her a pinched look, and bowed. “Very well.” He clearly disagreed, especially with the baleful look he shot the greenhouse. Woe that his master hadn’t fallen in love with the pretty young dragon!

Hyssop’s accommodations were cozy, and simple. Cassius didn’t subscribe to the voluptuous luxury of the typical dragon; there was a bed, a desk with a comfortable chair next to a window, and a private bath. Soft rugs, woven from reeds, covered the floor and softened the stone. There were only a few soaps, and some of them had clearly never been touched. The most fancy thing was the small bowl of fruit and bottle of wine waiting for her at the desk, along with a glass.

“I’ll bring your dinner shortly.” The pet informed her. Thankfully, it was also not draconian fare. A healthy meal of curried snap peas and chicken over rice. Spicy, but rich with coconut milk.

Ausar gave an almost-annoyed snort when Nestor said that they couldn't hurt the steward. If only the illusion magic hadn't exacted its own toll. That was the factor Nestor hadn't known to consider that time.

He looked over Nestor's notes. While the writing itself wasn't necessarily words and language he could understand, the illustrations were straightforward enough.

"The surge of magic from Seteta may have forced the transformation, but from what Aetes said... it was not pleasant," Ausar spoke thoughtfully, his face pensive. "The question really is whether the transformation was caused by the surge of power, or because Rheinhard died."

Hyssop scowled as the pet led her to her rooms. His visible displeasure was obnoxious, and not something her own mother would tolerate at Dahn Prunella. Even her father, more lenient, would have scolded the pet. However, it was not her manor or estate, and while she could appreciate Cassius' desire for independence and breaking out of the strict social norms of draconian society, there was certainly some discretion lacking here.

The suite was sufficient, though not nearly as pleasant as her own accommodations at Dahn Prunella, though she hadn't expected such. Her mother's touch was impeccable and many a dragon had spoken at length at the comfort and luxuriousness of Dahn Prunella's guest quarters. They weren't nearly as lavish as the living areas.

She merely nodded when the pet said he'd bring her dinner, and sat at the table to wait, watching the rain hit the windows.

Gods, she was going to be stranded here overnight, it seemed. Her own pet came in soon enough, followed quickly by her food, and as she ate the pet began tending to the drenched luggage. It had been dried off as much as possible before being brought up, but some of the clothing within had still gotten damp.

"Stay with me, from now on," Hyssop told her pet as she began eating. "I think we'll be here overnight, and I'll not have any rumors spreading about me and Cassius."

"Yes, asaya."

Hyssop finished her dinner in silence. If the child passed, she would likely be informed right away. Otherwise, she may not hear anything until morning.

“I meant using the Well itself to hurt you. Pulling on that cord with the intention of hurting or killing you. Now that we know the Inizae pay for their magic in pain, we can adjust accordingly.” He sniffed. He considered the idea, and got up. He knelt down and pulled up a board; a large panel of slate mounted into a rectangular wooden frame. He picked up a chunk of chalk from a bin at the bottom of the frame, and wrote at the top.

Illusion and the Inizae

“Right.” Nestor wrote the word Host and Master on the board, and drew a line between them. “This is the basic umbilical cord. We always…well, I always assumed that when this was broken…” he struck a line through the cord. “…we would all die. But that was assuming the master was the one cutting the connection or dying. It’s possible the surge of power that killed Rheinhard forced the spell to adapt. The Well cushioned the blow and redirected it based on whomever was close to their weapon.”

Nestor wrote Kreneides and Tianau on the board.So I postulate what happened is the weapon and Tianau’s proximity to it essentially shoved the albino brat into the driver’s seat, and the Well formed around that temporarily. When we fixed the problem, Rheinhard was shoved back. It’s complex. To give me my actual body we’d need my weapon, and you’d need to kill Rheinhard with a very large pulse of energy. It’s a pity, and I need to study the incident, but I wager for now we should keep the bond as simple as possible. Let me use an illusion to teach the others. We can work out lending power later.”

Nestor eyed Ausar. “Sound fair to you?” He set the chalk down and looked at the board. “It’s been a long time since I was in any sort of academic sphere. I miss it.” He looked at Ausar, hesitant. He came to sit next to him, and settled his arm across Ausar’s thigh. “You’re smarter than you look, anyway.”

The babe passed in the night.

Cassius knocked at Hyssop’s door in the early hours of the morning, before the servants were awake or morning chores had started. He was sporting a heavy bruise across one cheek, and his right eye had burst capillaries. He was damp, and haggard, and hadn’t slept a wink. He had a bottle of whiskey, which he was drinking from.

He felt numb. Their son was dead and Baylock had blamed him. If he’d taken nehmaji he’d have been able to give enough fire to their child. Instead the poor, malformed dragon had taken his last breaths cradled by his mother in the water. Part of it was cultural; troll women put tremendous value on the strength of their men. Was she regretting leaving her clan to be with him?

“Hyssop?” Cassius rapped again. “Can I come in?” He was slurring his words slightly, in part due to the fat lip he was nursing.

Ausar rested his elbows on the table, leaning forward with a slight smile teasing around his lips as he watched Nestor throw himself into his theories. It was good to see the man expressing something he was confident about, and while Ausar wasn't sure about everything Nestor said--mostly because some of the concepts were completely unfamiliar to him--there was clearly a lot of thought and study that had gone into it.

"Your idea that all of you would have died if the cord was severed is likely correct," Ausar interjected. "But you're forgetting something: Rheinhard went into Aptuv's temple, and Aptuv altered the spell. It could very well be that Aptuv adapted that aspect. I know enough about magic to know that a spell of this magnitude" --Ausar gestured around them-- "wouldn't just... blink into non-existence if it ended. It would create a magical vacuum, and the ensuing destruction would be vast."

He sighed. "The issue with the illusion magic is that I can pay the toll one of two ways: with pain accrued ahead of time--but it has to be intentional where I siphon the pain into a... reservoir of sorts--or with whatever pain the magic decides is an appropriate toll after I've used it. Either way, though, I have to not burn out before the Nameday if I'm going to help Seteta.

"Holding the illusion of a physical body is incredibly complex and difficult. There are so many moving parts and details. Just for your few minutes of illusion the other day, I paid with pain for an entire night. We have a limited amount of time to find the balance, and you won't be able to be in that illusion for hours on end. Maybe an hour at most."

Ausar couldn't help but smile as Nestor settled next to him though, and the elf ran his fingers over Nestor's forearm. "I think you'll find that most of the Inizae are more than what they appear to be, if you are patient enough."

The storm continued, pounding against the windows and thunder making even the mountain-carved estate rumble under her feet. Hyssop dozed fitfully, and the pet slept at the foot of her bed. They both roused, slightly startled, by Cassius' knock at the door. She sighed and held back a scowl as the pet retrieved a dressing gown. Judging by Cassius' slurring, the hatchling had passed.

She tied the dressing gown closed at her waist, and nodded for the pet to open the door.

"You may not come in," Hyssop said firmly as she stepped nearer, but frowned when she saw his battered face. Her shoulders slumped, and she grabbed her medical kit.

"Bring a couple chairs out," she told the pet as she slipped past her out into the hall, pushing Cassius back and plucking the whiskey bottle from his hand before he could react. She set it inside the door, out of his reach.

"Sit," she ordered as the pet brought out the first chair, though Hyssop practically shoved Cassius into it and grabbed his chin with her hand, tilting his face so she could see the bruising.

Hyssop's eyes flickered to the pet as she brought out the second chair. "Stay close enough to see us, but keep your ears shut," Hyssop ordered as she let go of Cassius' chin.

"Yes, asaya," the pet murmured, closing the door the room and shuffling further down the hall.

"Tell me what happened with the hatchling. Did Baylock do this to you?" Hyssop asked, voice barely more than a whisper. She set her med kit on the second chair and pulled out a cleaning solution and a cloth, carefully pouring it onto the cloth and reaching to dab it to his busted lip and wipe away the blood.