Private Tales Of Sand & Dragonfire

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"Are you afraid of him?" she asked quietly. She hoped not. She doubted her father would have done something to make Nestor fear him on purpose... but she also didn't know what had happened, that mit had felt it necessary to go that far with Nestor. "Or are you afraid of what you feel when you're around him? Is he actually what makes you feel unsafe, or is it the strange, new things he makes you feel?"

Wanting... she didn't want to think too hard about that in particular. She understood mit was... not unattractive, but he was her father.

Hate... made sense. Ausar was a disruption in Nestor's routine, and not just the routine of the Well, but apparently the routine of his existence. Hate was likely just a mask for fear, at the moment. Fear of the unknown.

Seteta could relate to that right now.

"Don't be afraid of wanting, Nestor," she murmured quietly, resting her head on his shoulder. "Passion, whether for something as simple as your favorite food or more complex like desiring another person's body, is part of what makes you a person. You can't be a complete person if you don't explore those things."

She reached for his hand and squeezed it gently as he spoke.

"You do not have to stay awake just for me," she told him. "Sometimes sleep can help sort through our thoughts and feelings, too. I still need to rest for a few more days yet, if you want to do so as well. I can have mit wake you when I'm ready.

"You might have nightmares, though,"
she cautioned. "Emotional upheavals can do that, and you won't be able to wake yourself out of them."

"It seems to have meant something to you," Rehema commented. "So that makes it important. But you do not have to tell me about it if you do not wish to do so."

It wasn't a long walk back to her and Ausar's room, and when they reached the door, she quietly asked Chaceledon to wait while she checked to see if Ausar was awake yet, then vanished into the room.

To her relief, Ausar was sitting up wearily.

"Oh thank Aptuv," she breathed. "Are you all right?"

Ausar nodded wearily. "I'm sorry to have worried you, meruv," he muttered, running his hand through his hair. "I didn't realize how... differently time moved."

"It's all right, sehejib,"
she answered, leaning down to kiss his forehead. "I'll be back in a moment."

Rehema went back to the door, and stepped outside. "He's awake," she told Chaceledon, clearly relieved. "Although I think only just now. Can you ask someone in the kitchen to bring food and drink for him?"

She waited a moment for his answer, then went back in the room, leaving the door ajar.

"Meruv," Ausar groaned, rolling his shoulders. He felt stiff all over, and... the sheets reeked. They would need to be changed again. "Can you come and look at my back?"

Had Qimmiq's mark transferred, he wondered?

"What is it?" she asked, coming around the bed, and then gasped, reaching out to trace the bear's outline with her fingers. "How did this happen?"

"Tianau and I... gave an offering to Qimmiq,"
he mumbled. "She... accepted it personally."

Rehema arched a brow and nodded toward the sheets. "A sex offering?"

"Heh,"
Ausar shrugged, grinning mischievously as he slid out from under the sheets. He tried to stand, but his legs refused. "She liked it, at least?"

"You slept for hours,"
Rehema said, still tracing. "I was getting worried. Rheinhard said Tianau summoned Qimmiq. He seemed... disconcerted."

"Tianau was surprised, too. He didn't know a goddess would be able, or willing, to enter the Well."
Ausar sighed, wrapping an arm around Rehema's hips and tugging her close to nuzzle and kiss her belly. "But... Qimmiq said something. I'm not... entirely sure what to make of it yet, but it was definitely a blessing."

Nestor chewed his lip. “Both..? I don’t know. Perhaps the latter. He has a way of making me feel things I don’t want to feel.” He sighed heavily. “I’m dead, Seteta. What’s the point? I can’t come back. It’s either here, or Carruth, and no one passes through that second eye and comes out the same. You were reborn, you know what that means.” He lifted his head so she could rest her head on his shoulder, and squeezed her hand in his. “He’s set…rules that I don’t know I can follow without losing face in front of the others. He wants me to refer to him as…Master. I’ve never called any man that, even Oor. It should feel like something malicious, but somehow it doesn’t. It’s twisted into those weird feelings in the pit of my stomach.”

Nestor shook his head, shuddering. “No thank you. Nightmares I can’t escape doesn’t sound pleasant, even if I’m not particularly given to dreaming.” He muttered. He rested his head on top of hers. “I’m glad you’re alright. I heard you speaking fluent draconian. That wasn’t my doing was it? Your accent is too good.” He gave her a rare, if slight, smile.

Chaceledon cleared his throat, and stepped into the room with a tray. He set it down at the foot of the bed, wrinkling his nose at the sheets. Dear gods. He snuck into the bathroom and tossed a towel at Ausar. “Well…Im glad you survived your first trip in.” Chaceledon sighed. “Gods sake, you need to be bathed. They’re alright, aren’t they?”

The dragon leaned over to look at the marking on Ausar’s back. He blinked. “Can’t have been too bad if a goddess marked you. What did she say?”

"Your physical body may be dead," Seteta said quietly, "but you are still very much alive in here. The Well is a curse in many ways... but perhaps in this way it doesn't have to be. I can't tell the difference between my own body and this one." She raised up her other hand, wiggling her fingers in the air. "It feels the same. So why should you act any differently?"

She made an involuntary noise--almost distressed--when Nestor mentioned her father's command to call him... master. But she listened to his concerns about it.

"The term master, in and of itself, doesn't have to be malicious," she told him. "It can also mean someone who is a provider. Protector. But... Rheinhard said you were rather challenging. Mit is probably asking it of you because he wants to know you're willing to accept his authority. Just like the other rules."

Gods, she did not want to know what those rules were, and silently pleaded with every good spirit and deity in the world that Nestor would not elaborate on that.

She smiled as his head rested against hers, then laughed softly.

"No, though I will always remember our lessons... fondly," she said. Perhaps fond wasn't the right word, but while Nestor had been a firm taskmaster, it was those early days that laid the foundation for this strange friendship they now had. "That was Nailah. She... dealt with the dragons, frequently, during her reign."

Oh gods... some of those dragons were still alive, besides Seikilos, weren't they? Harrier... damn it all, she remembered encountering him at least once. She didn't remember Peridot or Hokkaido right now, but it was entirely possible they'd brushed shoulders at some sort of event.

And Saltarello... her heart ached just slightly.

"She loved one, too," Seteta murmured quietly. "She loved a dragon, but gave him up--in that lifetime and all others--to save her people."

Then she straightened in her seat, remembering how much Chaceledon had resembled Seikilos' grandsons, and... Saltarello.

"Nestor," she gasped. "I need to tell you something. You're the only one who I think wouldn't be able to... spill it accidentally.

"I don't think Hokkaido is Chaceledon's actual father."

Ausar chuckled, but didn't release his hold on Rehema, as Chaceledon entered. "I was told that it wasn't possible for me to die in there, so yes, I survived my first trip."

He caught the towel with one hand. "I'll bathe once I can stand," he said with a touch of chagrin. "They're all right. Tianau is... well, sated, I suppose. Ferenzi... I barely got to talk to him. Nestor is... sorting through some things."

Ausar's brow wrinkled for a moment, and he twisted to look at Chaceledon. "Is Seteta in there right now? Is she strong enough for that?"

"She'll be fine, sehejib," Rehema lightly scolded, tapping the tip of his nose with her finger. "She's a grown woman and can take care of herself."

Ausar caught her hand and kissed her finger. "Tell me you are not worried yourself, meruv," he chided, "and I will stop worrying myself."

Rehema scowled and huffed.

Ausar sighed then, and looked back at Chaceledon. "Qimmiq... Tianau took me to her shrine, in Krynid," he explained. "Her image was a great bear carved from black granite, with moonstones for claws and sapphires for eyes. She... came alive, even within the Well.

"The blessing she gave..." he paused for a moment, making sure he remembered her words correctly. "She kissed my back and marked me, and said,

"You and Rehema continue to please me, Ausar.
From now on, death will not haunt your children.
Nor will your choice of mate be a limitation.

I will care for your children, as you so clearly care for my lost cub."

Nestor chuckled. “I solved this.” He took her hand. “It’s how your soul sees you. It’s why I’m at forty, instead of the sixty year old man I died as. It’s why Ferenzi is twenty, not nearly eighty. Rheinhard isn’t a master of self deception; he sees himself as he is. It’s not something you can manipulate or predict. It simply is. It’s beautiful, in a way. We get to see ourselves in a way we never could have in life.”

He frowned at her explanation of the terms. “Call him master, even when he is not there? He wanted me to…acknowledge he always knows better for you. If any man knows that siring someone doesn’t mean you know better, it’s Volkers.” He snorted. “I can’t…finish, without permission. I have to tell him if I don’t…self-pleasure. If I don’t, he mentioned punishment.” Nestor sighed. He had to admit some very small part of him wanted to lean into it. Volkers were bred to obey and serve, and even he couldn’t deny centuries of carefully cultured breeding.

“Sorry, this must be disgusting to hear.” Nestor muttered. “Nailah has helped you be fluent. Hopefully she’ll help you with the ceremony as well. She might have attended a few in her lifetime if she was dating dragons.”

He listened to her theory on Chaceledon, and nodded. “I thought the same. That copper hair is very distinctive.” He said quietly. “Peridot would have had to have been so careful…timing it just right. It’s a miracle Hokkaido didn’t catch on, or he’d have killed her and her eggs.”

He kissed her cheek. “Thank you for letting me talk. I know you’re tired. Come back to me in a few days and we can work on those memories.”

Chaceledon listened sagely, though disgust flickered across his features. “Please try and keep in mind those are my children. Ferenzi is clever and quiet; he’ll listen as long as you’re not cruel to him. Nestor prizes logic and dignity above everything. Come to him as a team mate. That’s what Seteta did. Ask him to teach you something. He’s abrasive, but he has a good heart.” He mentioned. “Don’t worry about Seteta. Nestor will care for her; he’s got a soft spot for her. He’ll make sure she’s not in too long.”

Chaceledon chewed his lip. “It sounds like she’s given your children protection against…miscarriage, or poor birth. It’s a powerful gift. I’m not sure what the second part means, about your choice of mate.”

Seteta grimaced slightly when Nestor did indeed go into more detail, but frowned again when he said disgusting. Again.

"It's... uncomfortable," Seteta clarified. "I told you already--sex is not disgusting, in and of itself. It can be used in disgusting ways, but anything can. I just... have no desire to think of my father in these scenarios. He's my father."

She squeezed his hand again when Nestor mentioned the... tumultuous idea most Volkers had of a father.

"Ausar is not merely my sire," Seteta explained gently. "He helped raise me. He gave me my first lessons in controlling my own magic and using it. He's held me and comforted me when I wept, and he's sacrificed his own desires for my best interests. I am who I am today because of his influence in my life.

"Even this."
She gestured vaguely at the Well. "He took the Well without a second thought to give me a better chance of surviving the healing, of making sure that all of your souls didn't get tangled up in my own.

"Did you even give him a chance to explain how I was doing, or did you just simply demand that I be brought in here as soon as he showed up?"

She laughed softly when Nestor mused about Nailah. "She... didn't really court dragons," Seteta pointed out. "There was only one she was involved with, and it was... secret. I don't know yet if she would have been invited to any Name Days. I get the sense that even back then, the dragons kind of... snubbed the Inizae.

"I worry that my fluency is... archaic, though. It's been... thousands and thousands of years."

When he confirmed her suspicions about Peridot's heritage, she bit the inside of her lip, nodding thoughtfully.

"Nailah... the dragon she was involved with was Saltarello. I think he is Chaceledon's father. I... remember Chaceledon saying that Peridot had loved a different dragon than the one who won her hand. And now... now I remember how Saltarello would often talk of a lover he missed deeply. I think it was Peridot.

"The timing... fits."

She sighed again and pushed those thoughts away. It was unlikely that it would affect anything currently, and she wasn't going to just go and tell Chaceledon that she thought his mother had an affair.

"I will come back soon," she told Nestor, kissing his cheek as well. "I don't want to get lost in the memories on my own."

Ausar gave Chaceledon a deprecating look. "And you are in a relationship with my daughter."

He kissed Rehema's belly one more time, then carefully stood. Once certain his legs would do what he wanted, he wrapped the towel around his hips, and took the food tray.

"I will happily defer to Nestor in matters of certain types of knowledge," Ausar agreed, "but the issue was his insistence that I couldn't possibly know what was right for Seteta, and that I bring her in right away so he could make sure she was all right. While she was sleeping.

"I tried to get him to listen in several different ways,"
Ausar reassured Chaceledon. "What I did, I did as a last resort because he didn't respond to anything else."

When Chaceledon made his comments, Rehema audibly gasped. Ausar looked up as she covered her belly with a hand. He... had wondered, but it was almost too much to hope. But if a goddess had said it, then he would be wise to heed it, even if it seemed impossible.

"There are many things that last part could mean," Ausar grunted, but he couldn't look away from Rehema, and the desperate hope in her eyes. "We will have to wait and see. But for now... the first part is more than sufficient."

Nestor sighed. Alright. So she had him pinned. “I may have been a bit more brusque than usual insisting to see you.” He muttered. She certainly had a point there, but he didn’t see how sexual domination had anything to do with obedience. Why hadn’t Ausar just beaten him to a pulp the way Oor would have? Then again, the same quality that made Volkers power through injuries that would kill lesser men meant violence was sometimes a moot point. This way was…certainly more effective. He already had thoughts about what would happen when Ausar returned to the Well, and warmth in his belly at the thought of obeying those rules.

“So perhaps he’s less of a fool than I first thought.” He admitted grudgingly. He hated admitting he was wrong. He was certainly grateful to move on to Chaceledon’s dubious parentage.

“The timing certainly fits, and the coincidence is just a bit too convenient. You’re probably right, just be careful about approaching Chaceledon with it. He has about as much family pride as we do at times, and admitting something like that makes him hedahn without any wrongdoing. Bastards aren’t tolerated.” Nestor patted her shoulder and rose, offering her a hand. “Here. I’ll walk you out.”

Chaceledon sighed. “He’s stubborn. Incredibly so. A far cry from his Voltese father. I suppose you did what you had to. That ego is more fragile than it looks, and just remember she earned their loyalty. That comes with a lot of protective instincts. Aron’s fond of her as well, and Aluid.” He smirked.

The dragon smiled at the parents. He saw the hope in Rehema’s eyes. “I think…Qimmiq sees something in the two of you she likes. When this is all over, you ought to consider a pilgrimage to Krynid. It might be worth it.” He suggested.

Seteta laughed then, and even though the Well didn't obey her command anymore, the place seemed to brighten a little at the sound of it.

"Trust me, I have given mit more than enough practice with obstinate stubbornness."

She took Nestor's hand and let him help her up, and they began the somewhat lengthy walk back up the spiraling stairs.

"I think Seikilos knows," Seteta murmured. "Or at the very least, she suspects. I think I would like to talk to her first about any of it. And then Peridot.

"Peridot should really be the one to Chaceledon, if our suspicions are correct. But I don't want to hold onto the information for too long, and then have Hokkaido use it against him."

Gods, there were so many ways Chaceledon could get hurt by this. She didn't want him to think she was deliberately hiding it from him, if he learned that she'd known for quite a while before he did.

"I doubt he is more stubborn than Seteta was during the days leading up to her nazr'im," Ausar said with a chuckle. "But I enjoy a good challenge, and I promise I will not utterly break him."

Rehema smiled softly at Chaceledon's suggestion. Hopefully.

"A pilgrimage to Krynid will be out of the question for at least a few years," she answered. "But we will take the baby, when its older, to properly greet Qimmiq. I suspect Ausar already plans to build a shrine for her in our tent."

Ausar grinned. "It's like you've been married to me for 50 years, meruv."

Rehema rolled her eyes.

Ausar's eyes grew sad then, and he looked back to Chaceledon. "I swore to Qimmiq that I would return Tianau's bones to Krynid. I know there may not be much left after all these millennia... but I imagine whatever is left is near where we unearthed his weapon."

“Step carefully,” Nestor warned her as they ascended. “This is a big secret that could tear both dahns apart. Chaceledon always implied that even before his capture…Hokkaido wasn’t a kind or patient man. This threat to his Dahn, especially since he only has one other child, would be grievous. Think carefully.” He led her out of the library, and let go of her hand.

Tianau was looking satisfied, leaning against the Arena’s entrance. Rheinhard came to greet her with a gentle butt of his forehead against hers, like a big cat.
“Are you settled, then?” He asked Nestor.

“As much as I can be.” Nestor answered icily.

Chaceledon chewed his lips and shook his head. “I wish you hadn’t made that promise to her. The bones of a Volker are always buried at Witherhold. Oor was as protective of them as he was the bones of the mothers. Even if we do somehow get back to that horrible place, you’d have to find his grave.” He said quietly.

The dragon raked his fingers through his hair. “You have to make a conscious effort now. You two are tied together, in more ways than one. You should feel a cord, like a string behind your eyes. Grasp it and Rheinhard will be alerted. You can even speak with him privately, within reason. Just so you’re not surprised tonight when you lay down to sleep.” He bowed his head, and excused himself politely.

Seteta frowned thoughtfully, but nodded. "I don't want to destroy anyone," she said. "But something like this... Chaceledon deserves to know before Hokkaido attempts to use it against him."

She smiled when they exited the library, glad to see Rheinhard waiting. She leaned into his head butt, gently squeezing his wrist. Then she turned to Tianau.

"I know I was not your mistress for long, but I hope we can still get to know each other," she said, offering a branch of friendship. "Especially since it seems you've become quite important to mit."

Then she frowned at Nestor. "Don't be snappy," she admonished. "It's not Rheinhard's fault."

"Ah," Ausar mumbled, surprised. "Finding his grave--any graves--won't likely be an issue with the way I can use my magic. But... I suppose we'll have to see how the rest of the situation plays out."

He'd made an oath to a goddess, though. Ausar would do whatever he could to keep it.

He nodded when Chaceledon explained a little more about the Well. "Thank you," he said as Chaceledon made to leave. "I appreciate the warning."

As Chaceledon closed the door behind him, Ausar held out a hand to Rehema. "Come sit with me, meruv. Did you already eat?"

Tianau raised an eyebrow. He thought she had allied with Nestor. Clearly, she didn’t immediately consider him an enemy like the stodgy academic did. He grinned triumphantly at Nestor, and nodded. “Your father holds the Well and I’m fucking him…and your mother. Makes sense we’d be friends.” He agreed.

All three of the other Volkers gave him a look. “You don’t have to be disgusting.” Ferenzi muttered. “Those are her parents. Anyway, we should try to get along considering we’re…in a bit of an unusual situation at the moment.”

Rheinhard grasped Seteta’s hand. “Your father must be awake. Let’s go.”

Over the next few days, they recovered. Chaceledon spent time with Seikilos reintegrating the staff as they slowly trickled back in. It was strange to see how alone she was…she was the only dragon in the household. Her grandsons still lived with their parents, and her son and daughter lived elsewhere with their mates. That left Seikilos as the dahna, but entirely alone in the house that ruled Dahn Hedoni.

Chaceledon felt for her. There were more and more households like that these days. Even Nica…his heart tugged at the thought of the lone water dragon. He should send a letter to Seaworth, if only to see how Nica was doing. Seikilos grimly informed him that a lot of the old dahns were dying. Too few children, and many of them bucking against the old attitudes and becoming hedahn.

“Some days it feels like there are more dragons out in the world than in the desert.” Seikilos sighed. They were sitting out on the sandstone veranda in the height of the day’s heat, taking in the sun’s rays. Seikilos wore a light purple robe, diaphanous enough to let the sun through to her skin while satisfying modesty at a glance. Chaceledon was much more simple; a tasseled wrap around his waist, and the rest of him nude.

“Surely it can’t be that bad. Dahn Agrys is still alive. Hedoni is still alive, and so is Peridot. Nica is still at Seaworth and still eligible for marriage-“

“Dahn Abalone’s fishing and pearl prospects died out years ago. I’m surprised he hasn’t left that household; he has no servants, no mate, his parents are dead.” Seikilos sighed. “Even if he wanted to marry no one would have him. He’s not invited to anything anymore. Agrys is like a bunch of vultures circling Harrier’s aging body. Once he dies his children will tear the Dahn apart. They hate one another. Dahn Prunella holds a strong position but who knows for how long? Peridot is a strong Dahn but even they are struggling; I hear Peridot is trying to birth more children in light of Cassius’ refusal to get married and…well…you and Seteta.”

Chaceledon looked down, messing with his claws. “At her age?”

Seikilos shook her head. “She will probably bind, and fall ill. More and more females are dying these days and not many doctors know why. Perhaps it’s well enough we are dying. Seteta may very well restore her people to power, and take the desert for herself.” She laid back on the stone. “You shouldn’t worry yourself with a woman’s troubles.”

Chaceledon fell silent, and squinted at the desert below them. He smiled. There was a line of people approaching, slowly but surely. Seteta’s family. It gladdened his heart to see them.

Below, Ataire and Fosse ran eagerly up to the line of elves. They leapt and bound over the sands like mink, tails wiggling in excitement.

“Seteta’s family? Welcome!” Ataire declared in very broken Abtati. Fosse came close to sniff at a camel, his ears up. The pair of young dragons danced excitedly around the family, sniffing at their things and racing toward the Dahn and back as though the tribe moved far too slowly for them.

Seteta turned just slightly green, even in the Well. "Gods above and below," she muttered, reaching up to rub her temple. "Yes, two of you have slept with at least one or both of my parents. You don't have to rub it in my face. Especially since I was in the room directly next to you three."

She shot a grateful look to Ferenzi for his defense of her, and took Rheinhard's hand.

"I'll be back in a few days," Seteta promised Nestor. "But don't worry, and don't give my father a hard time, please."

The next few days flew by rapidly. Seteta was asleep as often as she was awake, but she made sure to eat and walk around the garden each time she woke. She was glad to see Chaceledon spending time with Seikilos. The elder dragoness was pleasantly... non-toxic, for a dragon, and she hoped that some of it would rub off on her betrothed.

She was on one such walk, though preparing to go back inside as the cries went up announcing the arrival of the caravan. Instead of going in, she quietly joined Chaceledon and Seikilos on the veranda. She wore a lightweight, green linen robe, made for ease and comfort more than anything else, with slits down the sides for airflow. A white linen scarf was draped over her hair to protect her head from the sun.

Her feet were bare. Since the healing, she'd found she greatly preferred being in contact with the earth as much as possible. It helped her stay in the present.

"Supti made good time," she murmured softly, then laughed as she watched Fosse and Ataire running back and forth between manor and the caravan. "They likely traveled all through the night to make it here this early in the day."

She glanced over at Seikilos. "Mit was the one who taught me how to control my magic when I was young, but Supti was the one who taught me how to actually use it."

Supti laughed. "Yes, many of us are Seteta's family," he called out to the youngling dragons. He'd not met them, but many at the temple had spoken of the two.

The camel Fosse sniffed at bared its teeth and snapped at the dragon, but didn't bolt. Supti's camels were well trained, and never mindlessly bolted when faced with a predator.

"Have you ever been here before?" Keket asked Hassani curiously as they walked together. She was... a little cautious of the former pet, especially after witnessing his clear adoration of Persian that night at the temple, but she still enjoyed his company.

"Dragons, Kahi!" Anai gasped, peeking out of their howdah. "Can you believe it?"

"We saw Chaceledon at the oasis," Kahi answered with a bemused smile. "But more than one dragon... this will surely be an interesting experience."

Supti guided the caravan--over a dozen camels with howdah and bags on their backs, and nearly a hundred Inizae--through the sands, following the dragonlings tracks through the sand.

Seikilos rose, folding her arms across her chest and walking to the edge of the platform to get a good look at Supti and his family. Good gods. She hadn’t had this many visitors since Saltarello was alive! She’d need to open every room in the mansion, the stables would be full to bursting, and she’d have to warn off every other dragon from visiting her. Doubtless they’d spread rumors she was gathering elves, and it would attract attention from Dahns she didn’t particularly want concern from.

She frowned at her sons bouncing around. She valued the Inizae. She honored them as Saltarello had and there was something to be said for keeping ancient allegiances. Her grandsons were too undisciplined, however. She didn’t need them thinking all young dragons were as…ridiculous.

Chaceledon put his arm around Seteta, smiling. Supti was going to need food and water, bathing and rest. It was a long and tough journey, but dragons were good hosts. He hoped they weren’t trampling on Seikilos’ good nature too much. She was looking down at the group with concern.

“I’m sorry we’re disturbing your peace. I can always redirect them to my own estate…” Chaceledon offered. This was another game that was good for Seteta to see. He had no intention of redirecting them, but offering to do so was polite and showed empathy.

“No, no, don’t be ridiculous.” Seikilos waved a set of claws at him. It was customary to deny such assistance.

“Of course, a large Dahn like Hedoni wouldn’t blink at so many. I’ve seen your parties.” And a little twist of her pride as a host.

“Of course.” Seikilos glanced at Seteta. “It’s good to see Inizae families are still so close knit. Especially with skills in earth. Given the visitors we had a few days ago, I would keep them indoors for a few days. Just in case. Come, let’s go downstairs to greet them.”

“We’ve got to change.” Chaceledon reminded her. “I really wouldn’t dream of greeting Supti like this.”

Fosse snorted and backpedaled, returning to bounding alongside the caravan. The young dragons alternated between ferret-like running and leaping into the air, sailing fifty or so feet ahead before landing and doubling back. They looked like eager mink leading friends to a den.

“No…never. I never served on dragon estates.” Hassani said quietly, watching the young dragons in wonder. As they approached, another caravan seemed to be coming to greet them. Seikilos was truly massive in size, dwarfing her grandsons and looking high above them even with such short legs. She had her head rested slightly back like a swan, and was walking slowly and with dignity toward them. Chaceledon was behind her, slightly smaller due to his younger age, with Seteta just behind his head on his neck. He held his head lower in deference to Seikilos.

A small army of pets surrounded them, carrying drink and small plates of food that could be easily eaten on the road. The grandsons sheepishly retreated behind their grandmother, who eyed them. That lack of discipline meant trouble.

Hassani tensed at the sight of the pets and nervously touched his neck, where his collar had once lain. Seeing them so well put together, with neat makeup, combed hair, and lightly tanned skin made him realize how far he’d come. Several of the pets near Seikilos had splashes of dragon scales under their throats like hummingbirds, flashing in the sun. “See them? They’re the most loyal to the Dahn and have served the longest. I know that much.” Hassani pointed them out to Keket.

Seikilos stopped, and waited for the caravan to do the same. They were close to the estate, less than a quarter mile, but tradition had to be respected. The pets hurried forward, offering food and cool tea. Some even had jars of cream to ease sun kissed skin.

Good morning. My name is Seikilos, Dahna of Dahn Hedoni. I welcome you into my home; you are welcome to stay as long as you like. Seikilos boomed.

Seteta leaned into Chaceledon's side, kissing his shoulder. His skin was warm from the sun, but she was in awe of how he could sit out in the intense midday light and not burn with his pale skin. It was just one way that dragons were different from mammals, it seemed.

She chuckled slightly faux hospitality... battle. Dragons weren't the only ones who did things like that.

"I'll... try to keep them indoors," Seteta agreed. "But most Inizae are unaccustomed to four walls around them all the time. But since the earth is so integrated into your home, it will certainly be easier."

And then she cocked an eyebrow at Chaceledon. "You can change if you'd like," she chuckled. "Inizae don't exactly change clothes every time we greet someone. We don't have that many clothes, or the water to spare for that much laundry."

She did take a moment to send a pet to let Rehema and Ausar know that Supti had arrived. Rehema had practically put herself on bedrest the last few days, hoping to avoid a stern lecture from her healer. Ausar, of course, had been her willing companion, keeping her company and bringing fresh food and drink whenever she desired.

Supti signaled the camel handlers to keep a firm hold. Even the most well-trained of beasts would begin to feel uneasy with four large predators approaching them. The two younglings scurried back to trail behind the largest dragon. He recognized Chaceledon, especially with Seteta riding him.

The elder dragon, though, was all white and sunshine against the desert sand. He watched her for cues, and signaled for the caravan to halt--though it took a few minutes--when the dragoness stilled. He gladly took a cup of cool tea from one of the servants, and gestured for the women, children, and elderly within the howdahs to come down.

"Greetings, Dahna Seikilos," Supti said with a grin that was so very similar to both Ausar's and Seteta's when they were feeling playful. "We accept your invitation, but promise not to overstay our welcome.

"These are my wives, Kahi and Anai,
" he said, gesturing for them to step forward. Kahi was close to his own age, salt and pepper hair peeking out from under her headscarf, with soft curves that spoke of motherhood long past. Anai was more like Seteta, if just slightly older, with long brown hair, bright eyes, and a lean, muscular build. "We are caravan guides by trade, and if anyone causes any trouble while we are with you, please let any of the three of us know, and it will be dealt with."

Anai smiled and waved excitedly to Seteta. Seteta waved back, though a little tiredly. Her energy still came in short bursts, and it was beginning to wane.

Keket saw Hassani touch his throat reflexively, and reached over to take his hand.

Seikilos nodded her head to Supti. As a Dahna it would have been improper for her to bow, especially to a lesser creature, but she was happy to acknowledge him. Chaceledon bent a foreleg and gave a short, curtesy-esque bow in deference to his in-law. Or who would hopefully be an in law. He liked the wives, and smiled at them welcomingly.

“Come, let’s get you and your children out of the sun.” Seikilos said graciously, stepping aside to allow the caravan to use her bulk as shade. The pets assisted the elderly and children back into the howdahs, and gave them little soft sweets of pulled honey. Hassani squeezed Keket’s hand as the pets looked him over. They saw the scars on his neck and a few of them gave dismissive snorts. He knew what they were thinking. He wasn’t worth enough to be taken in by a master. He was a waste of time, resources and breeding.

“He should have gelded you.” One of the pets hissed as she passed, shouldering Hassani slightly. The others had the decency to just flash their scaled throats at him as they passed. Hassani colored; Persian might still be kind to him, but other pets were making it very clear he was no longer one of them. He still had his collar, of course, and he always would…but he wasn’t a pet anymore. He was sun baked and his nails had dirt under them.

Hassani stayed close to Keket for comfort as they walked. Fosse and Ataire played with the children, amusing them by blowing little spouts of orange flame into the air and bounding around. Chaceledon helpfully stepped close to Supti so he and Seteta could speak.

“I hope your journey was uninterrupted. We have had wraiths here the past few days, and you have just missed Persian De Soto.” Seikilos told them.

Hassani’s face fell. So much for seeing Persian.

"Thank you," Supti returned her nod of acknowledgement. As Kahi and Anai returned to their howdah, Supti approached Chaceledon, and reached a hand up to Seteta.

"You look weary, cousin," he said. "Come ride in the howdah with Kahi and Anai."

She nodded, and took his hand, sliding off Chaceledon's neck a bit ungracefully, grateful for Supti's strong arms to catch her before she stumbled to the sand.

"I'll see you back at the estate, sehejib," she murmured, kissing his muzzle.

After only three steps, though, Supti frowned, and swept her up into his arms.

"Aptuv's waters, girl, what did you do?" he muttered, shaking his head. Seteta relaxed in his arms with an embarrassed whine.

"I'm still not really sure," she admitted. "But after I've rested, we can gather the family and I'll tell the whole story. Or mut will."

"Okay, up you go," he said, lifting her up into Kahi and Anai's waiting arms.

"That was you, the other night, wasn't it?" Anai asked as they helped Seteta get comfortable between them. "I don't think there was an Inizae who didn't feel that surge of magic."

"Sort of," Seteta admitted, leaning against Kahi's shoulder. "But it was the earth itself, too."

"Just rest,"
Kahi said, sliding Seteta's scarf back and stroking her hair. "We can wait till you have the strength to tell the story."

“I hope your journey was uninterrupted. We have had wraiths here the past few days, and you have just missed Persian De Soto.” Seikilos told them.

"We encountered no troubles," Supti told her as he rejoined them at the front of the group. "Though I suspect that was in part because of Persian's agreement with Rehema."

The priestess had sent out messages to all the caravan leaders after she'd reached the agreement with the fae, informing them of their rights of passage through Persian's domain, but also cautioned to take as few of their people through those lands as little as possible.

It was clear the powers-that-be in the desert were due for a shift, and the Inizae and Seteta were likely going to be at the heart of it.

Keket felt the insecurity rolling off of Hassani, and kept hold of his hand. "Don't mind them," she said quietly. "Your presence frightens them, because it makes them consider what they might face as well, and they know they're not strong enough to deal with it."

She turned away to hide a frown when his disappointment at missing Persian was evident. She couldn't help but feel relief that they'd not run into the fae anytime soon.

Chaceledon lowered his head close to the ground to let Seteta squirm off, and hovered close, ready to catch her with his nose if she fell. Gods, she was still so weak. He watched in worry as Supti swept her up in his arms; her mentor was a strong man despite his age. He wasn’t able to relax until she was settled in the howdah with the other women.

The procession made its way across the desert to the estate. The pets immediately volunteered to take charge of the luggage; it would be a complex feat to get everyone inside, bathed and settled. Hospitality was their watchword and they weren’t about to embarrass their mistress by failing the Inizae.

A hundred people wasn’t an easy thing to house even in the largest estate, but dragons were well-known for parties that lasted weeks if not months. The ballroom has been converted from a training space into a small sleeping area, with appropriate drapery to make it less obvious that they were essentially camping indoors. The shrine to Aptuv was left intact and open for visitors, but the crystals had been quietly removed. Baskets for their belongings were arranged around the room, along with stuffed cotton pads lifted slightly from the floor with folding wooden platforms. The platforms could be folded into sitting areas when not being slept on, fulfilling the dual purpose of seating and sleeping.

Rugs covered the floor, there was a small area with hot coals to heat up water for tea, trays of samosas, covered pots of rice, and fresh vegetables were laid out for their hungry travelers. Unlike the dragons, this food would actually be consumed and very little of it wasted.

Chaceledon was impressed. The household was well up to the challenge of hosting so many guests. Supti and his wives were given Persian’s old room, cleaned and turned over. Hassani and Keket were housed in the ballroom with the others, though Hassani noted he had a few less blankets than the others. He sighed; privileges of being a cast off.

Rheinhard was quietly relocated to the garden. He honestly didn’t mind, and felt more at home outside. He didn’t like crowds at the best of times, either. He watched the procession, combing it for signs of Aetes. He missed him. Ferenzi, Nestor and Tianau were all fighting like cats in his head and it gave him an ache, echos of which Ausar was bound to feel. Not a true headache, but a pressure down the bond from the annoyance.

Chaceledon stopped by the garden, sitting next to Rheinhard in the sand. “I figured I would give her some time with her family.” He smiled wryly. “She missed them.”

Seikilos took over sorting the visitors, making sure their animals were taken to the stables, the tack taken down and the howdahs cleaned. There was laundry to be done, baths to fire up, the household was in a tizzy that hadn’t been seen since her dearly departed husband’s parties.

Seikilos' efficiency was... impressive. Seteta didn't catch all of it, quickly shuffled away by Kahi and Anai to rest while everyone else got settled in, but the fact that the camels were practically on their way to the stables by the time Seteta was back over the threshold was quite a feat.

The healer went straight to Rehema, leaving it to her assistants to make sure her things were properly taken care of. After examining Rehema and declaring that she and the baby were both in reasonably good health but still needed to be cautious with her physical activity and magic use, Ausar gave her the ingredient list for the tincture Nestor recommended for Seteta.

"Will it help?" he asked, talking quietly with the healer off to the side.

"It should, provided I know exactly what is going on," the healer said. It seemed to mostly be herbs and roots she had on hand, though many of the names used were... archaic. Where on earth had Ausar gotten a list like this? A couple of items, she wasn't sure what they were, but perhaps one of the longer-lived dragons would. "The ingredients I recognize seem to mostly be ones for stabilizing magic, supporting physical recovery after severe illness, and easing sleep."

"Her body and soul were overrun with magic,"
Rehema said from the bed as she sat up. "And she merged with a past life. She was barely able to eat for several days, and has even still been sleeping more than being awake."

The healer's eyes widened. "I've heard of past lives merging... but have no experience with it myself. Have you ever seen such a thing before?"

Rehema shook her head. "We're trained for it, and how to recognize it, but fractured souls are far more common than reincarnated ones. Aptuv rarely permits souls to know their past lives. But... Seteta is Nailah reborn."

The healer's jaw dropped.

Between naps, Seteta visited with her family, catching up on what had happened since they'd left Supti, Kahi, and Anai in Ragash, though she was a bit vague on the happenings of the last couple of weeks yet.

"I called you all in the desert," she said, "because I need help with the challenge Chaceledon's father" --the word was sour in her mouth, but she kept her expression neutral-- "issued me for his hand. That's why we came here, so Dahn Hedoni could help me prepare for the performance I must give. Mesi and Nebit came with you, right? They know the basics of what I need."

"They did," Supti confirmed, making sure Seteta had food and drink easily within reach of where she sat on the bed, leaning back against the stone wall. Placing her in this subterranean room had been genius on Seikilos' part. He could practically feel Seteta's contentment in the stone surrounding them. "Your grandmothers made sure to gather all the talented singers and dancers who were able to come. Dahna Seikilos gave them a comfortable room on the ground level so they didn't have to go up and down the stairs."

"Good,"
Seteta murmured, then leaned back with a sigh. "You all should rest before supper. I know you traveled through the night."

"If you're tired, just say so,"
Kahi fussed, leaning down to kiss Seteta's forehead.

Seteta scrunched her nose and stuck out her tongue as Anai helped her lie down while Supti and Kahi cleared the trays of food off the bed.

"Will you send one of the pets to find Chaceledon soon?" she said with a yawn. "I would like to eat dinner with everyone, but I'll need help getting ready."

"We will,"
Anai reassured her as she tucked Seteta in. "Now rest."

The healer was waiting in the hall when Supti stepped out, asking about Seteta's condition. "We'll tell Chaceledon to send for you when Seteta is up for supper," Kahi told her. "She's just settling in to sleep for a bit."

The healer frowned, but nodded.

Chaceledon spent most of the day helping Seikilos and thinking. Rheinhard spent his time resting and training in the garden, and he was a far more patient teacher than Chaceledon had been when it came to sparring with Fosse and Ataire. He still roundly beat them, but it was combined with a series of drills, exercises, breathing and structured resting. Rheinhard operated best when he had a job to do, and currently he’d taken the pair of dragons under his wing. If only to keep them out of everyone’s hair while they unpacked, bathed, and washed their things.

Hassani made sure to put aside some of the best bath oils for Keket. As a pet, this was more his wheelhouse, and there was something to be said for the quiet art of preserving resources for people he cared about. The house was certainly crowded, and there was a hush in the air. Seteta was apparently some reborn queen. Persian would be courting her openly to prevent any repercussions to Pedeo. His heart tugged; the last thing he wanted to see was conflict between his old home and the new one. He missed Pedeo dearly, and he hoped Keket would one day learn to forgive Persian.

Chaceledon began putting out feelers to some of the draconian houses. There would be several in attendance, and he began drafting guest lists. Seteta would need to know them by sight and by scale, she would need to dress impeccably. Gods, he had to get to work on designing them outfits, jewelry, sandals and underthings. Nails would need to be fitted to Seteta in lieu of claws, he had to mix up makeup for them both, and make sure his designs didn’t copy or offend other dragons. It was a monumental task and one he threw himself into happily. Seteta would be resplendent but also able to move. Rheinhard would, of course, be barred from the celebration as would any Inizae.

Thank the gods he only had to work on two outfits.

He got to work, drafting, designing, writing down names. Harrier sent him a guest list, which was much appreciated, with a quiet little note that he looked forward to sharing the bounty of his house with Seteta. Chaceledon, of course, would be expected to diet along with everyone else. It was important he fit in so Seteta wasn’t seen as corrupting or influencing him. This was important to him. In draconian society, he was still the property of his father. He would make the final decision on who would get Chaceledon’s hand and dowry.

His dowry…gods.

Chaceledon opened a letter, and looked over the documents Peridot sent. His dowry. His estate, his old business in Ragash, thousands of pounds of gold, marble, precious gemstones, a series of pets bred specifically for handmaidens to his eventual dahna, horses, camels, and a vacation property in the isles. He rubbed a hand over his face. It was generous…but his mother had clearly never given up on it even during his capture. He sent up a silent prayer of thanks to Peridot, and tucked the inventory away.

If they married, he would own none of it. Dahna was the higher distinction. Seikilos would have inherited all of Saltarello’s property, and technically Peridot owned Hokkaido’s dowry. Females were worth more.
Chaceledon ran his fingers over the inventory. He would happily give her all of it. But if she lost, and he became hedahn, he would be penniless overnight. No estate, no closet, not a servant or horse to his name.

He ran his fingers over his cheekbones. It was worth it, for her. He would lose his entire family, his culture, for her. He just prayed it never came to that. He remembered when Carnelia had become hedahn. Stripped naked, driven out by Hokkaido and her egg smashed to powder on the doorstep as though she’d never been born. Everything she owned stripped from her, her name struck from every family record, every portrait burned.

Chaceledon rooted around in their room, and pulled his size book out from his makeup. He flipped through the book, and frowned at the numbers. Seteta would be putting in the work. So would he. He had to be perfect for her. Perfect for them. He requested a glass of ice water, and shuddered at the taste. The cold water struck his stomach like a punch, but it would stop any hunger messages for a while.

A servant came to him to inform him dinner was ready, and he tucked the book away. Right.

Dinner was ostentatious. Seikilos wasn’t about to be thought of as a woman who didn’t care for her guests. Fresh fruit, huge pots of steamed and spiced rice, mountains of samosas, fried crispy triangles of dough wrapped around lamb, broiled chickens, ducks and geese, enough salad to feed a stable, little cakes of sponge soaked in brandy and cream, bowls of roasted nuts, fig spread, flatbreads simmering in garlic butter and salt. There was cool water, wine, and tea to drink. Seikilos herself had a deceptively small dish of plain boiled rice; the dishes for dragons were wide but so shallow they couldn’t drown a mouse.

Chaceledon was mildly relieved to see more ice water and a small plate of chalk tablets on the table. “My grandsons are becoming eligible for nehmaji, you understand.” Seikilos said lightly.

Chaceledon smiled and nodded, taking his seat next to her. Seteta would be next to him, with spaces for Rehema and Ausar. Rheinhard had been placed next to Ausar, obviously in deference to who owned the Well, but the man didn’t look at all comfortable. In fact, his arched posture and lifted chin made Chaceledon frown. Nestor?

Hush, I wanted to see how she was healing. Nestor signed furiously at him, hopefully out of Ausar’s sight.

Seteta slept for a couple of hours, and roused when she heard Chaceledon moving around, but tried to ignore the noise and sleep a little longer. Eventually she sat up and asked him to help her to the bath, but once in it, she managed to bathe herself for the first time since she'd... fallen ill. It took longer than she'd hoped, having to rest between each step, but she did it.

She did ask Chaceledon to dry her hair and rub oil into her skin after she was out, but it wasn't long after that when Kahi and Anai and Keket all descended upon her and took her over to Supti's room to dress her and do her hair. Supti had been shooed out beforehand.

Her mouth was already watering at the scents wafting through the estate from the kitchen, and she didn't realize how utterly quiet and lifeless the estate had been before... now that her people were here, and the sounds of laughter and song and children playing filled the air.

"Is it true you're a queen reborn?" Keket asked quietly as she lined Seteta's eyes. Anai was picking out clothing--comfortable, but elegant--for her, and Kahi was braiding her hair, fastening delicate gold chains into it that draped over her forehead and all around her head.

"Yes," Seteta murmured, holding her face still so that Keket wouldn't stab her in the eye. "At least, if the memories I have now are to be trusted, but since Aptuv was there I'd assume they're not... an illusion of some sort."

Keket finished with her eyes, and Seteta reached up to squeeze her hand. "I'm sorry I couldn't tell you before you heard it from someone else."

"I understand,"
Keket said, though her disappointment was obvious. She traded the kohl for a little pot of gold dust and gently dabbed it over Seteta's eyelids. "I just wanted to be sure it wasn't an exaggerated rumor."

"I'm still your Seteta,"
Seteta murmured, grabbing Keket's hand and kissing her palm. "Even if I'm Nailah too, now."

"Don't tempt me while your betrothed is in the next room,"
Keket scolded, mostly playfully, and brought out a pot of lip stain next, a deep, rich red, and dabbed it the color on Seteta's lips with her thumb.

"Sorry," Seteta murmured, letting go of Keket's hand to allow her to work. "How's Hassani?"

"Hassani adores her,"
Kahi chimed in with a chuckle. "But I think Keket is a little uncertain of him."

"I can talk for myself,"
Keket scowled, huffing as she put away the cosmetics. "But... you're not wrong." She sighed and sat next to Seteta. "Hassani idolizes the two things I despise most in this world: Persian De Soto, and Pedeo. I can tell he desperately wants to make me love those things too, but it will never happen."

"Have you told him yet, what you told me that day?"

Keket shook her head. "Right now, he would still defend Persian, and his former way of life. Even knowing his master" --the word left Keket's mouth dripping with disgust-- "would have thrown him out of the city with no way of taking care of himself."

"If you don't think it's going to work out, you should break it off now,"
Anai said, bringing over the dress she'd finally chosen. "He's not like us. He doesn't realize a relationship isn't meant to last forever just because you're willingly bedding someone.

"Now, up you get, Seteta,"
Anai said. "Time to change. We can talk more about Hassani later."

Keket kissed Seteta's cheek, then helped her stand and strip. It took the three of them to get the dress over Seteta's head without mussing her hair or makeup.

"Beautiful!" Anai exclaimed at last, clapping her hands with a giggle. "Chaceledon won't know what hit him."

Seteta laughed quietly, but smiled. It was a very comfortable dress made of soft, gauzy linen, almost sheer. It was dusty pink and somehow made her skin seem to glow with health despite her easily-exhausted state at the moment. The sleeves were loose and long, but the sides of the gown were split from ribs to ankle, fastened every little bit with embroidered clasps. The sleeve cuffs, neckline, and hem were embroidered in gold as well, in a pattern reminiscent of sand dunes.

"Now, let's go eat," Kahi said, looping her arm through Seteta's elbow. "Keket, take her other arm. Anai, you walk ahead of us and make sure there's nothing in the way."

It seemed the meal was ready to start when they entered the dining room, and Seteta was suitably impressed at how many of the Inizae were actually able to fit at the table, though the seats near the head where Seikilos sat were clearly appointed for close family. There was an empty seat between her mother and Chaceledon--presumably for her--and Ausar sat between Rheinhard and Rehema. Her grandmothers sat at the opposite side of the table, and she slipped away from Keket, Anai, and Kahi to go and greet them, though she didn't linger long before slipping into her seat next to Chaceledon.

She leaned her head on his shoulder briefly, but frowned when she was the chalk tablets. "Please don't touch those," she whispered quietly.

Chaceledon’s eyes were glued to her the moment she stepped in the dining hall. It was a bit chaotic to be sure; there were over a hundred people at a long table piled with food but she stood out among it all like a sunset. He smiled at her, welcoming her onto the cushion next to him with a fond kiss. She looked so much like herself, and there was a spark of regality in her. She was growing stronger, by the hour even. Nestor was looking at her pridefully, his eyes soft. Hopefully, his worries were settled.

Chaceledon kissed her forehead. “They’re mainly for them. They’re preparing for nehmaji, so they need to be slim or they won’t get any offers.” He told her, nodding toward the twins. The boys fidgeted as the servants gave them small bowls of rice and side dishes of the tablets with water.

“Rice first, with a little broth, then the tablets if you’re still hungry.” Seikilos instructed.

“I don’t see why we have to…” Ataire grumbled, sipping his water. “Nehmaji isn’t required to live.”

“To reach your full potential it is. I’m fielding offers from Dahn Peridot for you, at least, Fosse. Don’t argue.” Seikilos said sharply. “Your mother will make the final decision but I’ve promised her you won’t run wild.”

Fosse looked gray. “Hokkaido?”

“Why can’t we pick our own? It’s my magic, after all.”
Ataire pressed.

“No one does, Ataire. It’s just the way things are. Your mother will lose face if she can’t sell your nehmaji. Look at my brother; he never did it and he’s a social pariah who doesn’t get invited to anything.” Chaceledon said gently.

“I don’t want to hang around here. Me and Fosse want to go study in Volta.” Ataire sniffed, scooping up a bit of rice.

“Didn’t Hokkaido do nehmaji with Oussek in Dahn Agrys…? His eye still won’t focus right…” Fosse mumbled. “I don’t understand why we can’t just go to Volta. We’re almost grown.”

Chaceledon looked about ready to match Fosse skin tone for skin tone. Hokkaido had half-blinded a boy? Seikilos frowned and waved her claws dismissively. “Whatever your personal feelings, Hokkaido is a skilled mage and stone worker. Ataire, I’m trying to catch the interest of Dahna Prunella for you. No one is going to university, much less a human university. Now, both of you eat and be quiet. Practice restraint.” She was clearly done with that part of the conversation.

Chaceledon kissed Seteta’s palm and took a small plate of rice, steamed vegetables, and a duck leg. He took a bite of it delicately, using instruments on his claws to slice bits of the meat off the duck and tuck them into his mouth. It was delicate as beadwork, and he hoped it would ease Seteta. If he was honest, he was quite hungry. He hadn’t eaten well while she was ill.

Nestor ate with equal restraint, almost feminine. He didn’t restrict his eating but he was clear he wasn’t about to look like a barbarian doing it. He used chopsticks, which was what the Inizae had been offered in lieu of the finger skewers used by the dragons.

“Are you feeling well?” Nestor asked her, doing his best to hide his accent. When they took over the host, their accents were preserved; different men had different ways of forming their words. Nestor’s voice always had a tinge of arrogance to it, with a decidedly lowborn tilt to his words he struggled to hide. As high on his horse as he liked to act, Nestor was farm born and bred, and it showed in his vowels.

Ausar eyed Rheinhard skeptically, quietly investigating the bond without triggering it. Nestor. Of course. He would check later to make sure Rheinhard had given him permission to take over his body, and make sure that the man understood that from now on, things like this would require permission beforehand. It was clear Nestor adored Seteta, though, and Ausar didn't want to cause a scene, so he would ignore it for now.

Seteta tried to ignore the conversation about nehmaji, though Mesi looked across the table at her curiously when the subject was mentioned. Seteta just shook her head and mouthed later. She didn't want to embarrass the poor dragonlings explaining it to a room full of strangers.

She couldn't help but shudder at the thought of Hokkaido with Fosse. The poor boy deserved far better.

Her mother and grandmothers piled a plate high with food for her, and she smiled gratefully at Rehema as she set the plate in front of her. "Thank you, mut," she said, and couldn't help but chuckle at the severe difference between her plate--piled high with meat and rice and plenty of fruit and sweets--as she picked up her chopsticks and began to eat.

It would take her a while to get through all of it, but she would try. She knew she needed the food and its energy, but she was so frustrated with how quickly she was still tiring.

“Are you feeling well?” Nestor asked her, doing his best to hide his accent.

Seteta slowly tilted her head. Rheinhard sounded funny.

"I'm fine, currently," she answered, smiling. "But are you okay? Your voice sounds odd. Have you been spending too much time out in the garden?"

Chaceledon ate slowly so he could match Seteta; he didn’t want her to feel as though she was eating too much or out of turn. He touched Seteta’s thigh with his own and smiled at her. The conversation with the nehmaji made her uncomfortable, clearly. Seikilos raised an eyebrow at her. She was eating a lot for a woman expected to perform in a few weeks. Seteta was underweight, to be sure, but that could only help her around dragons.

“Have you given any thought to her outfit? Your outfit? I thought I’d wear something from last season.”

“Nonsense. I’ll make sure it’s at least current and fitted. Seteta and I will be sewn into ours, but I’ll see if I can’t provide her as much movement as I can.” Chaceledon said. He smiled to himself; Nestor had never been good at stealth. Nestor was good from a distance and with poisons, not people. He had already been caught out.

“I’m fine.” Nestor replied. “Just worried about you. With the Naming Ceremony coming up we’ll need you at your full strength.” He looked at the table, at the people assembled. “Good lord.” He muttered under his breath, and tucked into a meal. Chaceledon eyed him, picking apart the ruse. Nestor ate delicately; Rheinhard didn’t. Nestor had to pause, chewing his food and rolling the flavor around in his mouth…as though he hadn’t tasted in years. He also indulged in a few sweets, something that Rheinhard didn’t eat at all.

You’re terrible at this. Chaceledon signed at him with a subtle smile.

Seteta pressed her thigh to Chaceledon's, leaning into him as Seikilos spoke.

"It will have to be more than as much room as possible, sehejib," Setetea said. "It needs to be loose and flowing for what I have planned. Are you permitted to help with my costume, anyway? Wouldn't that be seen as an unfair advantage?"

Setetea set aside her chopsticks for a bit. There was still food on her plate, but she needed to converse for a bit, and give her arm a break. Chopsticks had never been a challenge before, but she was realizing now the amount of muscles they required for use.

"I know there's to be a performance," she said to Seikilos, "and Chaceledon took me to... a dragon party, put on by the younger set of dragons, shortly after Hokkaido issued the challenge, but I'm still not fully sure what is expected.

"I don't feel it's appropriate for me, or the Inizae, to be the spotlight. We're celebrating the young dragonling's first appearance to society, correct? Am I allowed to involve them in the performance as well? And how much help am I allowed to get from my family?"

She would need a significant amount of magical support, to put on any type if illusion magic, for starters, and while Seikilos had started training her voice, there were others far more skilled with actual instruments than herself.

Seikilos raised an eyebrow, and set down her chopsticks. She folded her hands, and looked across the table at Seteta. She truly didn’t know, did she? Her mate hadn’t prepared her very well. That was his fault. She pursed her lips and took a deep breath. She would have to right the wrong; having strong magic was going to be the least of their worries.

“The Naming Ceremony is when a dragonling gets his or her name. It’s an honoring of them, but as with most things in our culture it’s an excuse to socialize. The babe, once given a name, is blessed through song and gifts. The songs are performed by people such as you; women wanting mates, or those close to the Dahn, or members of the family welcoming a sibling.” She began. “You’ve been issued a challenge. You’ve got to make a piece of art. Something elegant and ephemeral, something that shows everyone you belong here among the dragons. That you are as strong, as resilient, as beautiful as we are. We know you are. You’ve got to prove it to everyone else and more specifically to the Dahnesh Peridot.”

“He’s not an easy man to impress.. I worry he gave her a challenge he has no intent of fulfilling.” Chaceledon said quietly.

“So we don’t aim for him. Hokkaido, like all of us, is bound by public pressure. If you impress everyone else he embarrasses himself and his Dahn by denying you.” Seikilos said sternly. “This is a sacred task. Your family can help you prepare, as can Chaceledon, but the day of you dress yourself. You set up yourself, you perform. You can already speak fluently, so I expect you should make full use of that at the party. Socialize. Get people to like you. I know you don’t think much of our culture…but…it means much to your mate.”

Chaceledon nodded. “I…marrying you isn’t contingent on you winning this, my darling. If you lose, I will become hedahn and do it gladly.” He hoped and prayed Seteta knew what that meant. He was willing to put a torch to everything and everyone he had crawled and clawed to get back to. He was willing to never see his brother or mother again, nor any dragon in good standing. He was willing to give up his business, his house, a name he had clung to even in captivity. He wasn’t sure she realized the gravity of the situation.

“That also means we will never see you again. There are consequences. Chaceledon will have no name. No money. No estate, no clothing. He will be turned out naked as the day he was born and his egg will be smashed on the doorstep. His existence from every family record wiped, and no dragon will acknowledge his existence.” Seikilos said gravely. “He’s chosen this path because he loves you, but it’s a hard road and I’ll not be able to help you further without risking it myself.”

“She won’t fail then.” Nestor said sharply. “She will succeed and if she doesn’t, there is nothing we owe these people and nothing we can’t take from them. Damn them.” He bit into a rice cake a bit more ferociously than he meant to.

Everyone in the dining hall fell silent, feeling the weight of Seikilos' words even if they didn't understand everything she said.

Seteta took Seikilos' words to heart without even a flinch, but frowned. From what little Chaceledon had told her before, she'd been under the impression that she could have help from her family during the performance, but from what Seikilos was saying... perhaps not? She glanced up and down the table. Had she called them all here for no reason?

"There are a few things that need to be made clear, then," Seteta said at last. "If I am expected to bend over backwards to be accepted into dragon society, they need to understand that I do not come alone. Acceptance of me necessitates acceptance of my family. My people.

"I will not be able to perform alone. The type of magic I intend to use--the only thing I have at my disposal besides simple earth magic--I cannot use by myself to a degree that it will impress you dragons. Not without debilitating myself. If other performers, when not issued a challenge, are allowed the aid of musicians and illusionists, then there is no reason why I should be forbidden those things when the leading of a nameday dance was my direct challenge."

Her fist tightened on the table, knuckles turning white.

"I know full well that Hokkaido's intent is to shame me and make me a failure and a mockery in front of all dragon society, but if submitting to that is the only way I can participate in the challenge while still following rules meant to make my attempt impossible to win, then the show I put on will simply be swallowing Hokkaido with the very earth itself."

Her face was pale, but her voice steady, as she turned to Seikilos once more.

"Do not forget your words when I first stepped foot in your house, dahnesh," she said quietly. "Dahn Hedoni recognizes you, Queen Nailah, and we are here to serve. Regardless of whether I win this challenge or not, whether Chaceledon is made hedahn or not, you have a vow to keep."