Private Tales Of Sand & Dragonfire

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"You ate well, too," Seteta murmured, shivering against Chaceledon as he drew her close. Her skin was clammy and sticky from fever sweat, and her hair was stiff with salt. She desperately wished for a bath but even if Chaceledon carried her into a tub she didn't think she'd have the strength for it right now.

"Will you sing me to sleep, sehejib?" she asked, nuzzling into his chest and draping an arm over his waist as his warmth suffused her. "It helps to hear your voice in my dreams. Then they don't seem quite so frighteningly real..."

When she did finally drift off to sleep, she slept till morning, though she shuddered in her sleep, crying out a jumbled word or phrase in ancient Abtat from time to time. Her dreams were filled with unknown yet strangely familiar faces and happenings, and if it was possible her face was even more pale in the morning when she woke.

"Aptuv's healing has little to do with luck,"
Rehema answered, her voice somber, "but I accept your good intentions. If all goes as hoped, though, then at most you'll still only have one bed-bound woman. Ideally none. My own healer will be here in a few days, anyway, so you would not have to put yourself out for very long."

She wasn't sure she could comfortably submit herself to Persian's care, regardless.

"Toward the north?" she murmured thoughtfully at his next words, but didn't make any protestations yet. He would not be swayed by her opinion alone, so there was no point in voicing it. Rehema couldn't help a snort of amusement, though, at the way he crossed his arms and declared his... intentions.

"Aptuv has taught us not to hold meaningless grudges," she answered. "But I would hardly call thousands of years of kidnapping and enslavement of our kin to be meaningless. Do not be surprised, Persian of Pedeo, if the... bad blood that you have instigated cannot be so easily cleared as you intend.

"Now, if you will excuse me, I must finish the preparations for Seteta's healing."

Rehema turned back to the shrine. She bowed her head to the statue of Aptuv, holding herself there for a moment of stillness as she brought her mind and emotions back under control. Then she retrieved the crystals and placed them around the basin. A handful of salt was tossed into the water with a prayer.

Rehema took the sapphire pendant from around her neck again. She stepped close to the edge of the basin, and lifted the sapphire over the water.

"Aptuv, god of water and life," she prayed, "may this vessel become a conduit for your healing. As this water is consecrated to your use, may the soul that seeks healing in it be restored."

The sapphire glowed with light again, and Rehema gently lowered it into the water, releasing her grasp on the chain before the water touched her skin. The sapphire gently fell to the bottom of the brass basin, its light reflecting off the metal and around the shrine.

Rehema relaxed and stretched. It was finished, for now. All they had to do was wait till morning.

Ausar leaned down and pressed a kiss to Tianau's forehead. He wasn't sure what to say. Technically... he knew Tianau had died. It was only some strange fluke--or blessing from Aptuv--that Tianau was here, physically. The Inizae had never feared death. There were tales that said, back when they'd lived long, they'd even wished for it by the time it met them.

And he'd surmised that none of the souls held within the Well had truly known death, not the way all souls were meant to. But that Seteta meant to give them the peace of death was not necessarily something Tianau would want to hear, especially right now.

“You were angry, out there in the hall. What happened?”

He sighed, barely even reacting to Tianau's wandering fingers. "Persian is frightened of Seteta's power. But rather than... confessing to any wrongs he's committed against the Inizae, he wants to negotiate peace treaties and barter safe passage to transport new slaves from somewhere else.

"He acts as if he were the victim, losing revenue and having to make sacrifices to placate an angry god, when he's the one who started it all in the first place!"

Chaceledon happily gave her a drink of water and sang her to sleep. He knew she needed a bath, but she needed food and restful sleep more. His own hair was frizzy and in desperate need of a masque, and his face had been clean of makeup for so long he was forgetting his scars. She was the only thing that was important to him at the moment, and he would sing to her softly and held her while she slept.

Persian sighed when Rehema pointed out the same thing he had to Ausar. At the very least she didn’t she fit to get offended. “It’s a step toward peace, Rehema, I have to try. For your peoples’ sake and mine.” He bowed, and watched from a respectful distance as she consecrated the water. He’d have to do a full evaluation on her after tomorrow. After all, an Inizae so early on in pregnancy was a rarity in his world.

Tianau scowled. “Coward. He’s so frightened of the Inizae getting their power back that he’s trying to wheedle into your good graces now. Never forget what he did to your people; the minute they were weak he swept down like an eagle. Now that you’re strong he’s just trying to save his own skin.” he snorted. “Typical fae, doesn’t have anything but lies on his lips.”

Being angry stilled the shaking, but he didn’t move a muscle from his comfortable spot leaning against Ausar. He kissed his lover’s chest. “Come on. We should both take a bath…and my skin could use a soak in water.” He looked up at Ausar. Even in moonlight he wasn’t just white; he looked vulnerable. His ceramic skin was slightly red from riding the dragon, his wild hair catching the light and looking like filaments of white silk.

Last edited:
Rehema stepped out of the ballroom, tracing her steps back to the lower chambers alone. She'd sensed Persian watching, and would be surprised if he didn't attempt to examine what she'd done in the shrine. Aptuv would prevent the fae from meddling with things, though. If Persian tried to enter the shrine or to touch the water, an invisible resisting force would attempt to dissuade him. If he pushed through it, he would be able to enter the shrine, but putting any part of his flesh in the water would bring him face to face with Aptuv.

The high priestess peeked into Seteta's chambers and saw her daughter lying down, Chaceledon quietly singing to her. She didn't disturb them, relieved to see Seteta resting as best she could, and whispered a quiet prayer for her to at least find physical rest. Seteta would need it the following day.

Then Rehema ducked into her own chambers. Ausar and Tianau were nowhere to be seen, and she had no idea where she might go to find them. She was hungry, though, and she dug out some of the jerky and dried fruit from their bags. There was a pitcher of water and some glasses on a side table, and she poured some for herself, then curled up at the head of the bed, nibbling at her snack. She would need to find a pet in a bit, and ask about some hot water for the tea her healer had insisted on.

But first, a little bit of rest... and perhaps a bath, though she eyed it dubiously. She would need a pet for that too, for it to be filled.

"I think another twenty thousand years will have to pass before the Inizae could even begin to forget what Persian has done to us," Ausar scowled. He suspected the only reason Persian wasn't trying to take Seteta out of the picture altogether was because she was actively channeling a large amount of magic, seemingly without effort. If he harmed her... there was no telling what the magical blowback could be like, especially combined with the Well. Not to mention Chaceledon... if the dragon could truly control fire, then not even Persian would be immune to his wrath.

Tianau's kiss to his chest made him sigh quietly, though, and Ausar reached for him, trailing a finger along his jaw and tipping his face up.

"You don't want to work on your ballista?" Ausar smirked, leaning down to press a teasing kiss to his mouth. "Your skin does look a little... angry, though. Rehema probably has some herbs that can help soothe it."

Ausar would kiss Tianau a little more, using the time to calm the both of them before leading him back inside to their room. When they finally made their way back there, Rehema was lazily dozing on the bed on top of the covers. She had a pillow under her head and one tucked against her front, curled around it. She stirred and yawned as the two came in, and Ausar couldn't help but chuckle affectionately. He kissed Tianau's cheek and left him at the door.

"How are you feeling, meruv?" he asked, running his fingers through her hair and leaning down to kiss her.

She stretched into his touch, still in awe of the fire he could stoke with his touch after nearly a century. "A little tired, but otherwise fine," she answered when they parted. "Seteta seems to be sleeping. I'll need some hot water to make my tea"--she shuddered, practically tasting it at just the thought--"in a little while. And maybe a meal."

"Do you have any herbs that can help Tianau's skin?" Ausar asked, nodding toward their... companion. Rehema glanced and bit her lip. He was... rather pink. Moreso than he should have been.

"The healer packed some dried nettle," Rehema answered. "That should help."

Persian let Rehema go, and walked into the ballroom. The energy here was different. He could feel the hand of their god here, making his skin prickle. It was the shrine, drawing focus from the energy Rehema had put forth here. A barrier was pressing against him, dissuading him from examining the preparations.

Persian hesitated. The Inizae wouldn’t listen to him. He had offered an olive branch that Ausar just wanted to stab him in the throat with and Rehema had dismissed. Perhaps…just going to the elders wouldn’t be enough. Perhaps he needed to appeal to a higher power of theirs. Something all Inizae knew and held dear.

He pressed further, gritting his teeth. The feeling relented, as though he’d crossed over a barrier. He’d punctured it. There was little point in going back now. Persian took a deep breath and settled his hand in the water. He would be lucky if the god didn’t kill him outright…but this was the difficult part of attempting peace, wasn’t it? The disadvantaged regent always risked getting his head removed from his shoulders.

Tianau relaxed into Ausar’s kisses. He leaned against him, wrapping his arms around the older man’s neck. He needed Ausar’s touch to banish the ghosts in his head, and Ausar needed to tend to him. It calmed them both down, and Tianau shook his head in response to Ausar’s question.

“It can wait a few hours.” he replied, and followed Ausar downstairs. He frowned. “No pets have checked in on you?” Useless. If they were going to check themselves in to be collared the least they could do was fulfill the job. He stepped out into the hallway and down it a bit, glaring at a pet taking fresh linens in to Chaceledon and Seteta. Chaceledon had taken over changing her bedsheets as of late.

The pet hurried in and settled the linens at the foot of the bed for Chaceledon, then attempted to scurry upstairs. Tianau caught by the pet by his brass collar. “Get the bath in our room filled. Hot water for tea, and a real meal. Not dragon food. Something filling.” he growled dangerously.

“Yes sir…” the pet choked. “You’re close enough to the spring here…you need only to touch the taps for the bath.” Tianau shoved him toward the stairs.

“Move! And don’t let me hear you’ve not been attending to them again.” He snapped. The pet managed a halfway decent bow before he hurried upstairs.

Tianau strode back into the room confidently, stripping off the clothing the Inizae had given him. It was soaked in sweat, and he wanted to air his poor skin out. He ruffled his hair into long, unruly spikes and walked into the bathroom. Taps. He scowled and looked at the spigot, touching it with his fingers. The earth magic here was short range; just long enough to pull water up into holes drilled into the bottom of the house. It wasn’t true plumbing, and Tianau wagered it took Seikilos a bit of effort to maintain.

As promised, hot water emerged from the spout, and Tianau moved to block the drain. There. He came back out and leaned against the wall, smirking at Ausar.

“Fancy a bath? It’s big enough for all of us.”

Warm light enveloped Persian, but it was bright. So bright he would be forced to pinch his eyes closed and he would still be able to see it. There was a presence in the light, something far greater than anything Persian had ever encountered before.

Why have you come? Aptuv asked, but not with a voice that could be heard. Aptuv simply... inquired, or commanded, or conversed, and those who sought to listen would hear.

The question was accompanied by a sense of curious amusement, though. Aptuv knew why Persian had come. It would be interesting to see if the tormentor of the Inizae could be honest, even in the presence of a god.

He frowned. “No pets have checked in on you?”

"They've been busy, filling the basin for the consecrated water I needed,"
Rehema said as Ausar helped her to sit up. "I haven't even been here half an hour." But Tianau had already darted out the door.

Ausar chuckled at his protectiveness. "He's certainly a soldier born and bred," he murmured, helping Rehema sit at the edge of the bed. He gently edged his way between her knees, cupping her face and bending down to kiss her again, slow and deep.

Rehema's hands rested at his hips, her fingers digging into the bare skin just above the waistband of his trousers. She smirked against his mouth, opening up to him and teasing his tongue with her own. Then her hands slipped lower, tracing over the lines of his muscular thighs.

Ausar broke away with a laugh. "Feeling playful?" he asked, tipping her chin up so he could kiss down her throat, though his kisses paused as Tianau sauntered back into the room, stripping off his clothes without a care in the world.

Rehema shook with laughter. "He is quite pretty with that coloring, isn't he?" Rehema teased. "Practically the exact opposite of the Inizae."

Ausar scowled, a light blush coloring his cheekbones. "You're very playful tonight, I think," Ausar teased back, one hand sliding down her throat and over her chest, palming at her breast through her robe.

"We might not get the chance again for a while," she said with a shiver, arching into his touch. "Depending on... how things go tomorrow."

Ausar's eyes grew serious for a moment. Gods... two children and his wife possibly at risk. But he grinned and pushed the fears away. "Then we shouldn't waste it," he said, grinning as he felt her hand sneaking around to squeeze at his ass.

“Fancy a bath? It’s big enough for all of us.”

"All of us?" Rehema peered around Ausar at Tianau, not moving her hand away from her husband's body and taking advantage of the way she twisted to press her breast further into Ausar's touch. She shivered as he gently tweaked her nipple. "Last I checked, you weren't rather keen on my company."

The gamble, apparently, had worked. Persian was greeted with a blinding light, and he instinctively covered his eyes with an arm and squinted. He could feel the presence of the god, curious and amused but not hostile. Thankfully, Aptuv seemed to want to listen to him. He breathed in deeply.

“I wanted to ask you for a peace accord between myself and yourself with the Inizae. Pedeo has found an alternative to your people, and I believe we can make arrangements to go about our business around one another. I know you’ve released Seteta’s power, and it was great and terrible enough to be felt even in Pedeo from here.” He gestured vaguely. “I know she intends to destroy Pedeo. War may not be on her mind yet, nor even in five or ten years, but with the Inizae growing in confidence war will come. She has the allegiance of Dahn Hedoni, her own Dahn to found, and the Volker war dogs under her thumb…I would prefer not to be wiped off the map.”

Persian fussed for a moment in his coat and pulled out a pair of glasses with smoke quartz lenses. He set them on his nose. He still had to keep his eyes closed, but the quartz took the edge off the oppressive light and he could let his arms down.

“She and I could use one another, for quality of life if nothing else. I am experienced with everything from basic machines and economics to obstetrics. If Seteta truly intends to rebuild the empire, it would benefit her to have me as an ally.” Persian said carefully.

Hopefully the god wouldn’t become angry at the thought of him moving Krynian pets through the desert. Having a longer operation north would be expensive, but it opened up the possibility of xio’panian, Floimish, and Sphinx pets. Perhaps even Trolls if he could build water tanks to hold the spawnlings and hatch them in Pedeo.

There was a greater untapped market there, and he had spent far too long chasing Inizae through the desert. There was more and better money to be made off caging northern savages, country farm girls, and exotic monsters. Perhaps Hassani could facilitate the trade routes through Inizae lands…Persian was sure he could get the man to at least listen to him. First he had to get their god on board.

“Either way, the eye of Pedeo will be off your people. I only ask for peace if not my continued involvement with Seteta, maintaining my breeding contracts with the Well, and the ability to maintain trade routes through the desert. The Inizae need something. Surely I can make amends in some way? Prove myself?”

Last edited:
Aptuv's amusement quickly became underlaid with a current of anger, but not overpoweringly so. If anything, it was more like the head of a pack of predators giving a soft, rumbling growl of warning.

Aptuv dealt only with the fae when absolutely necessary, and Persian was quickly reminding the god why.

Fae, with their long lives, magical abilities, and keen minds, far too easily tried to become godlike if they didn't actively work on humbling themselves.

“I know she intends to destroy Pedeo. War may not be on her mind yet, nor even in five or ten years, but with the Inizae growing in confidence war will come. She has the allegiance of Dahn Hedoni, her own Dahn to found, and the Volker war dogs under her thumb…I would prefer not to be wiped off the map.”

You know she intends to destroy Pedeo? Aptuv repeated. That she will lead the Inizae into war?

Be careful that your own expectations do not force her hand, Persian de Soto.

“She and I could use one another, for quality of life if nothing else. I am experienced with everything from basic machines and economics to obstetrics. If Seteta truly intends to rebuild the empire, it would benefit her to have me as an ally.” Persian said carefully.

At this, Aptuv did laugh, amusement filling the space around Persian.

Is that all you can think of? That you can make use of each other? Yes, perhaps you can, but what mutual respect can exist in a relationship like that?

Do not forget, de Soto, Aptuv's voice turned to a warning, that you have been making use of the Inizae already for many millennia.

And whether or not the empire will rise again is not yet certain.

“Either way, the eye of Pedeo will be off your people. I only ask for peace if not my continued involvement with Seteta, maintaining my breeding contracts with the Well, and the ability to maintain trade routes through the desert. The Inizae need something. Surely I can make amends in some way? Prove myself?”

The Well is not my purview, Aptuv stated. And if you wish to... maintain relations and make amends, you will have to convince Seteta and the Inizae yourself.

You are the one who created the need to make amends in the first place. I suggest, if you are sincere, that you be honest with them and patient. You have more than enough time for that, after all.

Persian sighed. At least the god was calm and logical, even if he was expressing that undercurrent of hatred that his people did. At least he wasn’t like Ausar; that man clearly wanted to twist his head off. Aptuv did have a point; if he wanted to avoid war he needed to prevent himself from doing anything rash. Ceasing his capture of any Inizae and freeing a few would help that, surely. Well. Freeing those non critical to the breeding programs or who failed criteria. He wasn’t an idiot.

He had to admit, the god laughing pulled him out of his thoughts with a slight jump. He composed himself quickly, and cleared his throat. “You can see the signs, I’m sure. The Inizae will rally around a power like hers. She already has the force of a draconian Dahn. Soon, she’ll be in the family of another. There is writing on the wall here, and if fae are good at anything it’s noticing when those marks appear.” Persian said carefully. “What else is there but to make use of one another? Friendship is out of the question. She will never trust me, and I don’t blame her.”

Patience he could do.

Honesty?

Persian winced at the idea. “The Inizae don’t like honesty. I don’t feel as though I can speak frankly with them.” He admitted. “But I’ll try and be patient with them. I have sent a runner to the temple, with an offering of peace. An Inizae runner; they can cut his collar and keep him if they choose. Kennedi thinks I’ve taken leave of my senses.” He shook his head. “And what of you? You’ll help heal the cracks in her soul?”

Even if she were not powerful, the Inizae would rally around her, Aptuv said. She's already brought the dragons to her side, as well as the Volkers, and even in some ways... you. All without magic.

Aptuv continued laughing softly, amused at Persian's startle, but sighed as the fae continued speaking. Aptuv would very much like to sit down and have a long talk with whatever god it was who created these incessantly long-lived and powerful creatures.

We may see the same signs, but that does not mean we interpret them the same way, Aptuv pointed out. And do you truly think she entirely distrusts you? The last few days, she's taken your medicine without question and let you see her at her most vulnerable. And when all of you fled from Oor together... when she flung sand at you out of jealousy. That was a form of trust as well. She knew you wouldn't hurt her.

As for honesty... just because you will not like their reactions to your honesty doesn't mean they don't like it. You have made many grievances against the Inizae in your long life, Persian De Soto. If you truly wish to find peace with them, you will have to show true contrition. Not just fear that you will be losing your way of life.

It is not the one who commits the crime you gets to choose the reparations, or the punishment, after all.

Persian would feel Aptuv's presence lessening as the god began to withdraw.

I will do what I can for Seteta, Aptuv's words were quiet. Almost concerned. But much of it will depend on Seteta herself. She has some decisions to make.

A moment later, Persian would find himself back in the ballroom. The water in the basin still shimmered, and the god's presence was still apparent in the shrine and in the ballroom, but not the all-encompassing presence one felt when face to face with a god.

Seteta's dreams, at least, while jumbled were not enough to frighten her awake. They were not all peaceful, but she could tell that they seemed more like... reflections of memories, rather than fears or portents of things to come.

She woke not terribly long after the sun rose, and nestled further into Chaceledon's side, wincing as her sternum protested if she moved too vigorously.

"Good morning, sehejib," she murmured, kissing his ribs.

Persian listened quietly. It wasn’t what he wanted to hear. For the fae, humbling themselves enough just to ask for peace would have been enough. Contrition wasn’t something that came natural to them, and their lives were too long to hold on to petty tribal squabbles. Well. For the most part. Aptuv did have a point. Seteta hadn’t tried to kill him yet. She had trusted him enough to take his medicine. Sadly, he may have blown his chance to get rid of her if he wanted to make the first move. He was stuck on his current course to attempt allying with her, for better or for worse.

Persian sighed and rubbed a hand over his face when the god truly left. Some decisions to make…hopefully, nothing about Pedeo. Not yet.

Persian turned and left the ballroom, returning downstairs to his office. He winced as he passed Ausar and Rehema’s room; he recognized the stench of sex, much less the loud noises within. A pity they weren’t in Pedeo; he could think of far more constructive ways to use a Volker who wanted to fuck.

He settled into his room with a sigh. Hopefully, turning his attentions north would be enough of an olive branch.

Chaceledon snorted awake at her nuzzling. He smiled and combed his claws through her hair, pulling her closer into his side. He was a beacon of warmth, though he looked just as disheveled as she was. He hadn’t worn makeup in days and his hair was dull from failure to keep his routine up. The only thing he hadn’t let up on was brushing his teeth, as he found the very idea of skipping revolting.

“How are you feeling?” He asked with a kiss to her forehead. “I couldn’t sleep…they’re uh…not quiet.” Chaceledon cast a glance to the wall they shared with her parents. He could still hear moaning. “They haven’t quit since last night.”

"Sorry," Seteta said, wrinkling her nose. "At least we're not all in the tent anymore. The noise is worse there. Mut will be tired after the healing ritual and I'm sure she's just... taking advantage of the opportunity."

She sighed and settled her cold fingers against his skin. "I feel like all I've been doing is sleeping and yet I'm still so tired," she whined. "I want a bath and a meal and... enough strength to walk around."

The weariness was... so disconcerting. She'd been physically tired before, so tired that she'd had to find a safe spot and just pass out for several hours. But this was... it felt deeper.

Maybe because of what her mother had said. That... her soul was fractured.

"You need a bath too, sehejib," she muttered. "Do you think they have a wooden tub here? Something I can't accidentally channel magic through?"

She curled a little closer to him. Gods, it was so cold.

Chaceledon welcomed her into his arms, rubbing her skin. She was shivering, even though the bed was warm enough to cause most mammals sweating fits. He leaned over to kiss her, and his fingers drifted between her breasts. Gods, her sternum was still cracked, in the way he’d only seen right before a Volker was ready to die. He took her hand in his and blew warm air on her fingers.

“Your mother is going to try and heal you, koiros. I don’t know what else I can do…there’s a wooden tub here but it’s mainly for laundry. The servants use it. I can have it cleaned and brought up so you can bathe.” Chaceledon suggested, brushing her hair back from her face. “Breakfast should be along shortly. Persian is staying around. He’s worried about you too. I know all your body wants is rest and food, and all we can do is indulge it.”

He was loath to leave her but rose to arrange her bath. The pets were used to his requests by now, and Dahn Hedoni had thrown its weight behind the young lovers, so they obeyed without question. Chaceledon was able to carry her, frightened of what would happen if her feet brushed the stone floor, and lowered her carefully into the hot water. He kept his hands under her armpits just in case she couldn’t hold herself up.

"It's a soul healing," Seteta sighed against Chaceledon's lips. "The... physical damage will still take time to heal."

Chaceledon left to see about food and her bath, and she curled up into the warm spot where he'd laid beside her. She could feel the warmth, but it was like it couldn't sink into her, and she fought to keep her shivers at bay until he returned.

When he returned, Seteta gladly curled up into has arms again as he carried her to the tub. Steam curled off the surface, and she flinched at the first touch of water against her skin, but sank into it with a sigh a moment later. She rested her head back against the rim, grateful for Chaceledon's steadying touch.

"It's plenty big enough for us both," she said quietly. "You reek as much as I do, and I'd like to talk to you. It'll be easier if I can see your face."

Soul healings weren't... common. She'd only known of her mother doing a handful of them. And... just in case anything went wrong, she wanted to make sure Chaceledon knew some things.

Chaceledon was worried about her. Normally mammals soaked up heat just as fast as reptiles like himself did. This was as though she were a stone, like something cold within her was sucking away all her inner warmth. He was afraid of burning her, but he’d made the water as hot as he dared. He heard her hiss as she was lowered into it; hopefully that was the water doing it’s job and leeching into her. Seikilos had suggested they keep hot towels nearby, and make a bed for her on the hotbed.

As they bathed, the servants were making a furrow in the great boiling pit of crushed crystal, layering straw and blankets over it to make sure it was a nest of warmth. Chaceledon was surprised at the sacrifice; a dragon’s hotbed was sacred. It would take weeks to clean it again after she slept in it. He had to admit, it was practical. She didn’t particularly have to leave it for any reason, the sand was absorbent, and the straw would make a buffer and prevent her touching it.

Chaceledon picked up a bowl and poured water carefully over her hair, giving her a shocked look. “I do not reek!” He sounded astounded and offended at the accusation, and sniffed himself. Oh gods. He reeked.

He undressed without another word and slid into the water, beginning to scrub. “I can’t believe I let us get this disgusting. What am I, Rheinhard?”

Seteta laughed quietly as Chaceledon smelled himself and finally joined her in the bath. "I'm sorry, sehejib," she murmured, watching as he scrubbed himself. "I haven't meant to worry you."

She watched the servants preparing a bed for her in the crystal hot bath, stunned and touched that Seikilos would be willing to let her in it.

The hot water was helping some with her incessant shivering. But she could feel it chilling around her, and she took the soap and slowly worked it over her own skin, cleaning herself as best she could with the strength she had.

She kept glancing at the hot bed. She... couldn't shake the feeling that she'd been here before. Not in the bed, but here in this room. From the corner of her eye, it was almost like she could see the ghost of a pink dragon frolicking in the crystals.

Her heart clenched, and she looked away before tears pricked at her eyes. Back at Chaceledon.

She set the soap aside and wiped the suds off her skin. She would need help washing her hair when he was done with his own cleaning.

"I love you," she told him suddenly. "No matter what happens in the healing... I, Seteta, love you with all my heart. You know that, right?"

She would be lying to say she wasn't afraid, and Chaceledon would probably be able to see it in her eyes. She didn't have the strength to hide her emotions right now.

Seteta wasn't afraid of dying... But she felt after this, she would be irrevocably changed. She already was, in some ways. There were... so many unknowns.

Chaceledon smiled and followed her eyes to
the hotbed. “I couldn’t believe it either. We’re worried about you getting so chilled…and one thing dragons understand is not wanting to be cold.” Either way, it was quite a gift. Normally hotbeds were jealously guarded by the dragons who owned them, and only family members were allowed in. Chaceledon wouldn’t be permitted to use it, even if Seteta was. However, he didn’t think Seikilos would begrudge him cuddling with his fiancé.

Chaceledon was more than happy to take over her grooming. He combed rose oil through her hair and rinsed it, then added a thicker cream that would soften and restore the damage. That he twisted up in a knot on top of her head and secured it with a pin. He let her settle back to rest, taking up her nails so he could clean them before they dried. He seemed content to sit himself, his own hair pulled up into a shining red mess of oils and creams. A tiny bronze pick pulled dirt and filth from under her nails and gently pushed back her cuticles.

Chaceledon looked up at her, concern in his violet eyes. “Dont you talk to me like you’re going to die.” his voice sounded small and scared. “I love you…your mother and that god of yours are going to heal you. You’re going to found a home with me, koiros. If the fates take you rest assured I am well acquainted with the dead and have no problem going down there to fetch you.” He knew it was fear making him so nervous, but he couldn’t help it. The idea of losing her now shook him.

"I have no intention of dying," Seteta reassured him as he tended to her hands, glad for the warmth of them still. The water felt barely warm to her anymore, but she wasn't quite as chilled inside. But for all the intention she might have... Seteta was all to familiar with the knowledge that death often arrived uninvited.

"Besides," she continued, "didn't Rheinhard have Aptuv give me the extra years from the Volkers? I won't die, not yet."

She hoped.

Seteta took a deep breath then, and leaned her head back against the tub. "I need to tell you some things, though. Some of my dreams. More of what happened, I think, when the magic took hold the other night."

With a quiet voice, and many pauses when she needed to rest and gather her thoughts, she told him all of it. How it felt to be connected to the whole world. How tempting it had been to just stay there, forever immersed in the magic. How his presence had pulled her back, helped her remember that she had an existence outside of simply magic and the earth.

She told him about the memories. How Dahn Hedoni's estate felt hauntingly familiar now, about how Seikilos' had greeted her as Nailah in the shrine, and about the memories that she was having a hard time sorting through. But she was certain of one thing--they were not her memories. At least not of this life. And she told him what Persian had said Amphetrion's last words had been--she is herself again--and how hearing that Saltarello and Amphetrion were dead had felt like someone was ripping her heart into shreds.

At some point, too, she'd realized she understood Draconian. That she was speaking it almost flawlessly without hardly any thought.

And when she finally fell silent, her eyes fell shut as tears fell down her face.

"That's why I don't know what will happen in the healing,"
she whispered at last. "No matter how I may come out of it, no matter what I may say or do... don't doubt that I love you."

Chaceledon tended to her as she spoke. Though Aptuv’s promise was indeed to extend her life, it didn’t mean he wasn’t nervous. What if it hadn’t worked? What if the god thought it was too soon or that she was unworthy? What if it did work but she was no longer herself? Maybe she would become this Nailah, a relic of an era long past, who didn’t remember or love him. He chewed his lip until it bled listening to her dreams.

Amphetrion…he must have spoken true. Nailah was returning. Would this healing bring them both together or tear Seteta apart? Chaceledon looked up at her with tears in his eyes. He had noticed she was speaking Draconian well, but he’d sworn it was Nestor’s lessons. He didn’t want to think of it…he drew in a deep breath and set the second of her calves down. He’d been working oil into her skin to help any leg cramps left from sitting so long.

“No matter what happens, I love you more than the moon and stars. You are mine, and I am yours.” Chaceledon said softly, kissing her forehead. He brushed tears away from her cheek with his thumb. “You gave me light and hope when I didn’t think I had any left. When Rheinhard was gone I was going to end it myself. But you brought me back. You. I could never doubt that you loved me.”

Chaceledon pulled her into his arms and kissed her. “No matter what happens I’ll be right next to you.”

What had she done to deserve him? Seteta leaned into Chaceledon, returning his kiss, and reached up to wipe away the blood from his lip. Her words had distressed him, but he'd still been so gentle with her.

"We should both eat," she whispered, cupping his face in her hands as he smoothed away her tears. "Then... will you make love to me? I want to be with you again. Just you. Without the magic."

Her voice trembled a little. She was so weary and so weak, but she didn't... want to go into that healing, not knowing how she might come out, without being with him.

She'd felt so little like herself the last few days. So disconnected. She needed his touch to remind her.

Chaceledon smiled and kissed her. “I’ve missed your body this past week.” he whispered to her. He knew she needed to eat, and he would have to be delicate with her. She was fragile and couldn’t stand too much strain. He rinsed her hair and his own, and picked her up. She could dry herself off in the warm hotbed. He laid her down on the bed the servants had made; it was hot enough to be slightly uncomfortable for mammals but given how cold she was, hopefully it would help.

He sat down next to Seteta, and fed her soup from a warm bowl. It was simple chicken soup, with noodles and chopped vegetables. The servants had kept it on the boil that day, and had kept adding more stock and spices as the day had gone on. The flavors were developed and rich, and hopefully would give her some strength for the day ahead.

Chaceledon dutifully watched her eat the entire bowl, and ate his own next to her. All they had to do was wait for Rehema. Hopefully she would be moving slow after her night of hedonism. Chaceledon stroked Seteta’s cheek, smiling down at her. “You will always be the most beautiful thing in my life.” he whispered. He drew her into his arms, and guided her thighs around his hips.

"Just my body?" Seteta teased, resting her head against his shoulder and hand over his heart as he carried her to the hotbed. She shivered slightly as the water evaporated off her skin, but warmth spread through her as Chaceledon set her onto the blanket-covered straw. She relaxed into the heat and let Chaceledon feed her, then laid down and rested while he ate his own bowl of soup.

She was warm for what felt like the first time in days, so much so that she didn't even feel the need to cover herself, and just watched her lover drowsily. He looked more like himself, now that he'd bathed and tended to his hair.

At one point, though, she did reach out and let her hand hover a few inches above the bare, crushed crystal for a moment, watching the air shimmer in the radiating heat. She didn't dare try to touch it, though. Even though it felt, somehow, comfortably warm to her cradled on the blankets and straw, she knew it would burn her badly.

"I've missed you, too," she told him as he set the dishes aside and embraced her. She settled into his lap with a quiet sigh, tucking her head into the crook of his neck as she kissed his collarbone, and then let his gentle touch--claws and all--erase every fear from her mind.

Afterward, she slept peacefully for the first time in days. She was warm and safe, cradled in the hot bed and in Chaceledon's arms.

Rehema sat on the edge of the bed, Ausar combing her wet hair. A couple hours earlier, one of the pets let her know that Chaceledon and Seteta had moved to another part of the estate, and that they had both bathed and eaten and were resting. The three of them had needed to bathe again as well, and with that out of the way now, Ausar was able to sense her mood shifting from playful intimacy to that of the High Priestess of Aptuv who had a duty to perform.

But still, he could tell something bothering her.

"What's on your mind, meruv?" he asked softly as he sectioned her hair and braided it.

Rehema sighed. "There's too many unknowns," she answered. "And I'm worried especially about the Well. It's... technically a form of soul magic, and we know that Seteta's magic affected it when she channeled all that power. I don't know how it will affect the healing."

Rehema glanced over at Tianau. "I know you want to work on your ballista... but since the sun is up anyway, would you be willing to be there for the healing? I'll be better able to monitor how the healing and the Well are interacting if you're there."

"Do you need some of us to stand in for the elements and strengthen the spell?"
Ausar asked, tying off her braid and settling his hands on her shoulders, softly rubbing at the tenseness at the base of her neck.

She nodded and leaned back against Ausar for a moment. "I'll represent spirit, of course, as high priestess," she murmured. "You're best suited to earth. If you're willing, Tianau," she glanced at the boy again, "I would have you stand in for water. Chaceledon for fire, most likely... and possibly Seikilos, for air. Persian will want to observe, I'm sure, but I'd prefer to keep him out of the healing ritual itself if at all possible."

Rehema and stood and began to dress. She wasn't in formal robes by any means, but she had a blue robe the she could wear.

Chaceledon curled up next to Seteta, pulling the blankets over them both. He was a bit worried about the radiating heat from the hotbed, but she was already standing more heat than most humans or elves could stand. Gods, it was almost draconian. Chaceledon stroked her hair while she slept, resting her head on his chest and falling into sleep himself. Dragons normally enjoyed sleeping on hotbeds; it was natural. It helped shedding and cleaning their scales. Chaceledon only preferred mattresses because…well, they were more accommodating to his fashion sense.

The dragon sighed, closed his eyes and snuggled closer. All he wanted was to be home with her.

Tianau went for another bath, and helpfully set the sheets out for the servants to gather and wash. He sat down on the bed next to Rehema, running his fingers through his hair. “I don’t know either. I’ve never been this separated from it before. It’s there. Everyone’s there. But it’s like I’m in a glass bubble. They can’t quite reach me.” Tianau said quietly. He was afraid. Not so much for Seteta. He didn’t know her very well, and while he was touched everyone seemed so concerned…he was worried for himself.

What would happen? Would he be flung into darkness again? How much time would he lose? Would he even be allowed to go back into the Well? Rehema was right, there were just too many gods damned questions. He nodded when she asked him to stand in for water. “Whatever you need.” He muttered. He didn’t want to leave them. He felt accepted by Ausar and Rehema. He rubbed his arm, looking at his feet.

Of course Persian would want to observe. Scummy De Sotos had their noses in everything.

Ausar took the spot Rehema vacated next to Tianau. He could tell the boy was frightened, and Ausar could easily understand why. He wound his arm around Tianau and tugged him against his side, kissing the crown of his head.

Rehema slipped her sandals on her feet, then went and took Tianau's hand. "Thank you," she said quietly. "I know you have no obligation to help me. And while I do know you have an obligation to Seteta, please know that both Ausar and I do not take your willingness for granted."

Rehema reached up and cradled Tianau's face for a moment, smiling softly before she leaned down and kissed him. "I hope we are given more time with you," she said sincerely, then turned and kissed Ausar as well. "I'll send for you both when it's time. Probably an hour or two from now."

Rehema stepped out of the room and headed up to the aboveground portion of the estate to find someone to take her to Seikilos, though not before she cast a wary glance at Persian's chamber.

Tianau curled up against Ausar’s side. He tucked his head against his lover, breathing in deeply. He was trying so hard not to cry. Leaving this world again meant dying again. He knew he was technically already dead and the time had been borrowed. He had known it from the moment he had awakened, but it didn’t make it any easier. He kissed Rehema, and kept it together watching her leave. The moment she did, he buried his head against Ausar’s shoulder and cried.

Tianau hadn’t been allowed many private moments like this. Oor didn’t tolerate them, and he had been the leader of his company even at such a young age. Leaders weren’t supposed to sob, even if they were children. Tianau clung to Ausar, his shoulders shaking. He was terrified, in a way he had never been. It wasn’t just returning to the Well. How much time would he lose this time? Would he wake up again to find Ausar and Rehema dead, in another alien body? Or maybe he just would never wake up at all.

He struggled to stop. He shouldn’t be crying like this. He should find something to distract him for a bit while Rehema prepared. He fought the tears, hiccuping and rubbing his pink eyes angrily with the heel of his hand. He sniffled, blinking away the last of it. “Sorry…” he mumbled to Ausar. He scrubbed away the tears and snot from the other man’s skin, and looked down at his feet. He felt so conflicted. He wasn’t supposed to rob this body of its natural lifespan. It belonged to the host Volker, who was getting stronger by the minute. It belonged to those who had been chosen to be awake. Not him. For some reason, Seteta hadn’t chosen him.

He drew in a deep breath and rubbed at his eyes again. “Want to help me with Kreneides?” He asked Ausar softly.

Whether the man went with him or not, he headed upstairs and out to the landing. Fresh air and sunlight did him good, and the soft light of the morning wasn’t too harsh on his eyes or skin. He was surprised to see the cover already off the ballista…and pieces everywhere. Rage swiftly took the place of fading self-pity. Whomever had touched the weapon was facing worse than death. He narrowed his eyes further when Persian popped his head up from behind the seat.

“Ah. Hello. Now, before you lose it, I’ll have you know I’ve worked on quite a few Volker weapons. None quite this mechanically complex or large, but I’ve fixed a lot of the stuck parts. Mostly just jammed with sand. Seikilos is providing wood.” Persian informed him. Tianau slid around the weapon with the full intention of punching Persian until his chin met his forehead, but the fae artfully danced around, keeping the construct between them.

“No one fucking touches this weapon but me.” Tianau growled.

“A lot of you have…or had…that sentiment.” Persian said levelly. “But if you want her in working order you can’t do it alone. We could also use some muscle; where is that hulking thing you’ve been fucking for the past eight hours?”

Tianau flushed and bared his teeth.

Rehema was intercepted coming up the stairs by one of the housepets. Seikilos was watching Seteta and Chaceledon rest, nervously worrying her lip with her claws. She had never seen an elf lay on a hotbed like that even with all the precautions. It was almost frightening to watch. Seteta was snoozing away in Chaceledon’s arms, in temperatures most men would be sweating buckets at, with a blanket over the top of her.

“I am frightened of what is happening here. No mammal could withstand those temperatures. Not for as long as she has.” Seikilos told Rehema wearily as she approached. “Your daughter is either a dragon or a demon.”

Last edited:
Ausar held Tianau as the boy wept, rubbing his hands over his back in soothing circles. He hummed a gentle lullaby under his breath until Tianau's sobs faded away.

In a way, this is what Ausar had been waiting for since he first saw the boy stalking through the Inizae camp back at the temple. He'd seen so many hide heartache behind anger and sex.

"You have nothing to apologize for,"
Ausar said when Tianau finally spoke, and kissed him before Tianau pulled away to rub his eyes.

“Want to help me with Kreneides?” He asked Ausar softly.

Ausar smiled and nodded, leaning in to kiss Tianau's forehead again. "Let me tidy up a few more things here," he said, "then I'll be out."

He wasn't far behind the young Volker when he finally headed out to where the ballista waited, and groaned when he heard Persian provoking the young man.

"You do just love to meddle where you know you won't be wanted, don't you, Persian?" Ausar remarked wanly as he stepped into the sunlight. He glanced at Tianau worriedly. That albino skin would blister quickly as the sun rose higher.

Rehema laughed softly at Seikilos' comment, though she was... worried. "I'm as certain as any mother can be that I did not birth a demon nearly 50 years ago," she reassured the dragoness. As for a dragon... there were many ancient myths about the Inizae and the dragons. Whether there was truth to them... well. It turned out that dragons still existed, so perhaps there was some substance to them.

Rehema sighed and watched Chaceledon and Seteta for a few moments. Her daughter wasn't sweating at all. Even at this distance, Rehema was... more than comfortably warm. She was used to the desert, though, and while she was sweating already, the heat wasn't oppressive yet by any means.

"I suspect something entirely different right now," Rehema murmured quietly, pitching the volume of her voice low so that Chaceledon and Seteta would not overhear. They seemed to be sleeping, and Seteta restfully so, and she didn't want to disturb that. Seteta would need all the strength she could gather for the healing. "Seteta's soul is fractured," she continued. "That can be healed, but there are complications. Right now she also houses a... tenuous repository of soul magic. That, and the fracturing, combined with her own magic expanding and strengthening..."

Aptuv, strengthen my child!
Rehema cried silently in her thoughts. Don't let her end be like this. Please do not let me bear witness to the death of another of my children.

"She cannot retain heat because her body does not have the energy it needs to produce enough,"
Rehema explained. "Not with trying to keep her alive while everything else is going on. All of that magic is warring within her, trying to settle and hold. But it can't. So it's sucking all of her life force away."

Rehema paused and took a shuddering breath. It was terrifying to think of. The... Well, she was certain that somehow it would have to be taken out of the equation, even temporarily. Seteta's own magic needed a chance to settle into her. It could be transferred; she'd inferred as much from Seteta's story of how she'd come to house it. Right now... she was honestly considering asking Ausar. If it was even possible. But surely Aptuv could manage it...

She was also worried about all the souls within the Well. If the magic faltered even a little... would they get mixed up into Seteta's soul? Better that they be housed by someone else for a while so as not to risk it.

Rehema sighed again and brought her attention back to Seikilos.

"When Seteta channeled all that magic... we felt it, even at the temple. She told me what happened for her. Will you tell me what the rest of you experienced? How it affected the house, and the grounds? I may need to put wards up before the healing to prevent any irrevocable damage, and I need to know how strong I might need to make them."