Private Tales Of Sand & Dragonfire

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Seteta whimpered slightly, but Seikilos warm hands rubbing her back and holding her away were soothing. The first time she attempted to sit up, her stomach contracted as if it was going to expel whatever it could find again.

When she could sit up a few moments later, she let Seikilos wipe her mouth without complaint, then carefully settled back in the bed, leaning against the wall. She needed the earth against her skin.

"Thank you,"
she whispered as Seikilos gave her water, not realizing that she was speaking in nearly flawless Draconian. "Did Chaceledon tell the twins how to find the temple?"

If the twins were just going to... land near whatever groups of Inizae they saw, asking for her parents, it would take them a while. There were well over a hundred different nomadic families on different routes throughout the desert at any given point of the year, not even counting other Abtati tribes.

She couldn't help but laugh a little as the servant brought news of Chaceledon's return... and that he'd brought Persian. Though if he'd had time to fly to Pedeo and back... she must have been out for hours. Dawn wouldn't be far off, most likely.

"It's all right," she reassured Seikilos. "This is not the first encounter I've had with Persian de Soto. And Chaceledon knows him better than any of the draconian doctors, anyway. The wraith that held him captive was well acquainted with Persian."

“Yes. They’re well-acquainted with the desert and they know your family’s standard very well. If those history lessons I’ve drilled into their skulls stuck at all, they’ll be able to find the temple with no problem.” Seikilos reassured her. She smiled. The girl was speaking draconian, and not the halting speech of someone just learning the language. She spoke it fluidly, with the correct accent now. She stood, reassured Seteta wasn’t about to vomit again, and gathered up a bundle of cloth.

She set it on the end of the bed. “Some clothing. Chaceledon had your measurements memorized, I just had something tailored. Something a bit more up to date and Inizae than what you’ve been wearing. You’ve been around Chaceledon too long.” Seikilos smiled politely, and ascended the stairs.

Chaceledon was down a few minutes later, and rushed to embrace Seteta. “You’re awake! I didn’t know what to do. I went to get Persian.” He kissed her hair, pulling her to his chest.

“Don’t smother the girl, she’s been through a lot.” Persian came down the stairs after the dragon. He was carrying a doctor’s bag, and he slung his canvas coat over a nearby chair. He washed his hands in the washbasin, cleaning them thoroughly. “It’s good to see you again, Seteta of the Inizae. I wasn’t sure I’d be allowed to enter a Dahn, but there’s a first time for everything.”

The fae looked at her. She looked shaky, and the smell in the room told him she’d been sick. The bedsheets were drenched in cold sweat. “I’ll need you to disrobe. That bond of yours is connected through your heart, and I’ve treated the Volkers before. Taking a look at your sternum should give me a fair idea of what I’m dealing with.”

Chaceledon glared at him.

“Chaceledon please. I’ve seen dozens of naked bodies in my time and I’m not about to do anything untoward.” Persian said patiently, rolling up his sleeves.

“If I see a finger out of place-“

“Threats are also unnecessary. Please, leave the room. I can’t examine her with you standing in a corner worrying.” Persian cocked an eyebrow. “Besides, there’s a fair chance I’ll need to go into the Well, so this will be a while. I’d like to know what Nestor’s opinions are from his end.”

“And her magic? What about that?” Chaceledon’s eyes were filled with worry.

“It was a large enough burst to cause shorts in Pedeo’s engine. Thank you for the rolling blackouts, by the way.” Persian chuckled. “I’d been meaning to get under there for some maintenance. But I also had the chance to sample the soil. I’ll compare those to samples I pick up from the grounds here. Now please. If you would.” He gestured to the stairs.

Chaceledon kissed Seteta’s cheek. “I’ll be listening. He does anything terrible I’ll rip his head off.” he whispered, and ascended the stairs with no small amount of worry.

“Shall we get started?” Persian gestured. “Shirt off, please.”

"Thank you," Seteta sighed, frustrated that she still felt so incredibly weak. "We had to stay with Cassius unexpectedly the other night, and make do with whatever was still on hand from the last time Chaceledon stayed there."

She would appreciate Inizae clothing, though. It was far more comfortable than draconian styles. Then she was alone for a few minutes, and while she would have liked to get up and get dressed... that just required so much energy. She did start nibbling at a cracker as she waited.

When Chaceledon burst in a few moments later, she attempted a reassuring smile. "I heard," she mumbled, leaning into him, not caring if he smothered her. He was warm, and his heartbeat was comforting. "Seikilos isn't terribly happy about it."

She grimaced a little at Persian's greeting. She doubted she would ever be able to say she was glad to see the fae, but it had only been a few days since the last time.

Then she huffed at Chaceledon. "If there's anyone here who should be jealous, it's me," she stated. "You slept with him."

As he leaned down to kiss her cheek, she squeezed his hand. "I'll be fine. And Rheinhard is fine. I saw him in the Well."

She wasn't thrilled when he left the room, though, but it was more that she just wanted him there than that she was nervous about being alone with Persian.

“Shall we get started?” Persian gestured. “Shirt off, please.”

"I may need some help," she admitted, slowly scooting away from the wall. "I don't have much strength right now."

Someone, likely Seikilos, had at least put her in something more substantial than the towel Chaceledon had wrapped around her earlier. It seemed to be a nightgown, and likely could just be pushed down her shoulders to bare her chest. She worked her way to the edge of the bed and carefully slung her legs over it, then paused to catch her breath, clutching the edge of the mattress with trembling hands, her face going pale again.

Persian frowned, and put a hand on her shoulder to steady her. “Here. Arm around my neck.” He leaned her weight into him. He’d been telling the truth about the engine; he smelled thickly of dark oil dredged up from the sands, metal, and fire. The smoke had caught in his salt and pepper hair, clinging to him. He gently pulled her nightgown down past her shoulders, using his hands and body to steady her.

“Easy.” He gave her a reassuring smile and offered her water. Ah, what a fine body. A pity she hadn’t submitted to becoming a pet; she was exactly the type of proportionate he was looking for. Long in the bone, but not too long, muscular but evenly so. A fine neck and shoulders. “You’re shaking, pale, some nausea and fever. Any other symptoms? Seems to be a case of magic burnout, but unless you’ve been pulling up anything deep from the earth, I can’t see why.”

Persian palpated her sternum, his calloused fingers probing first up, then the space between her breasts. “Cracked sternum. That’s going to take a few weeks to heal. I’m guessing the magic whiplash hit you as hard as it did Rheinhard.” He mused, and dug around in his bag. He put a few drops of a dark brown substance in her drink. “Mint, yarrow and a little althea. Should bring down the fever and get your appetite back. Two drops in your water every day, twice a day.” He held up the bottle so she could see, and set it down on her nightstand.

“I’ve not seen magic awakening in someone so strong, but it makes sense. I’ve done some research on you, Seteta. When I captured Inizae I made sure to speak with them, and secure archives from temples and the like. When the Empire fell I ran first to the libraries. Granted, I didn’t know what I was saving, so there are a lot of silly edicts buried in the morass.” He reached into his bag and took gentle hold of her jaw. A bright magelight shone at the end of a small steel rod, and he swept it across her vision. He noted how her eyes reacted as he spoke.

“Amphetrion passed when the wave hit us. Not anything violent, thankfully. When the magelights returned and I’d calmed everyone, I checked on his rooms. He told me ‘she has become herself again’. I can see now he meant you.” He shut the light off. “With your permission I’ll return his body to your people for burial. I debated burying him in our graveyard…but this suits him.”

He settled his fingers against her neck and timed her pulse, scribbling down the results on a notebook. “What can you tell me about what was happening when the magic struck you? Please, spare no details. This is important. Go slowly, I’m not about to go anywhere.” Persian settled next to her on the bed.

If Pedeo had felt the shock, and the Well, would Oor? The wraith had been mooching about angrily for weeks now. Word was he’d seduced a dragon and was contenting himself with a new toy. The Autumn Court was worried; a wraith collecting and wandering the earth as Gaal did was one thing. Oor’s long bouts of destruction were something else entirely. Would Oor be able to pinpoint the magic to Seteta? Gods, he hoped not. Persian was still holding out hope he could get something out of this unsteady friendship.

Seteta stayed quiet through most of Persian's ramblings, hissing when his fingers probed at her sternum.

"Twice a day for how many days?" she asked when he brought out the drops, watching as he put two in her water.

She flinched back when he shone the light in her eyes. It was so bright and sudden it made her head throb.

The tears that sprang to her eyes, though, had nothing to do with the light.

"Amphetrion died?" she repeated with a wavering voice. Her breath stuttered for a moment as an aching pang shot through her heart, the same kind of pain she'd felt earlier hearing of Saltarello's death.

She nodded her head, and reached up to wipe away a tear. "Yes," she nodded. "We will bury him."

Persian's fingers settled on her pulse, and she sat quietly for a few moments, trying not to be overwhelmed by the strange grief threatening to engulf her.

As Persian sat next to her, she pulled the nightgown back up to cover herself.

"I don't quite remember it all," she said, sadness still evident in her voice. "But... it didn't come from outside of me. I was the magic."

She told him the same, then, that she'd relayed to Seikilos and Chaceledon earlier, and within the Well. But she didn't tell him about the memories. For now, until she made more sense of them, those were for her alone.

“Until you can keep down some richer food. I’d say if you can eat a full meal and walk a room without vomiting, you can stop taking them.” Persian replied, gently bracing her when she made to flinch away from the light. He couldn’t have her shying away. Interesting reaction to the news of Amphetrion’s death.

“I can’t say I wasn’t expecting it. He was very old.” Persian sighed. “I’ll have to contact Rehema for arrangements then. His body is in our ice house for the moment; we should have as much time as we need.”

Persian listened as she recounted the tale. So it was true. She was a far greater power than any of them could have imagined. Silently, he thanked the stars he’d thrown in his lot with her and not Oor. “You’ll need to get used to this power. But you’re young, intelligent, and determined. If you want my suggestion…I’d visit the Autumn Court. They could tell you more about your ancestry.” He patted her knee.

“I know you’re frightened. But I think these things happen for a reason. Somehow, some way, the Inizae are rising again. Maybe you’re the catalyst of a new empire. If you are, try not to put the noose around my throat too quickly; I’ll help as much as I can. Within reason.” He smirked. He couldn’t fall on his own sword too hard promising aid. He wasn’t about to let go of the Inizae he did have.

“Do you feel strong enough to take me into the Well? Perhaps we can solve the rest together.”

"Seikilos has sent for my parents," Seteta told him. "I imagine they'll be here within a day."

Then she sighed. "I was hoping to out off the court visit until after completing Hokkaido's challenge. I know Rheinhard is wanted there as well."

She ignored what he said about reviving the empire. She wasn't sure what all this meant yet, and she doubted Abtatu had put them through this exile just to put them into power once again.

Her brow raised when he asked to go into the Well, though.

"Is that even possible?" she asked. "I thought Rheinhard was the only one who could pull someone in."

“Then I’ll stay and speak with her personally. I can monitor your progress more easily as well. Makes me wish I’d brought more equipment. I’d like a blood sample from you eventually.” A smile edged the corners of his mouth. “At least the Autumn Court prides itself on patience. I know they must be wondering what to do about Rheinhard. A walking reliquary goes against most of their laws.”

He watched her for a moment. Could the empire be returning? Could Seteta lead them out of the darkness? The Inizae had long been humbled by poverty, slavery and death. Had Abtatu meant to end their exile, and see if they’d truly learned their lessons? After all, Persian had seen it a hundred times. You could punish a man all you liked, for as long as you liked, but it was what that man did once he climbed to his feet that told you whether the punishment stuck.

He laughed. It was pleasant, light. “You need to flex your power a bit more.” He told her. “Rheinhard can bring people in, yes, but he needs to cover their eyes to do so. All you have to do is touch someone, and pull them in with you. Ive seen Oor do it a few times when someone’s paid to see Gere after death. Poor creature couldn’t escape his body being sold even when he no longer had one.”

He offered her his hand. “Only if you feel strong enough.”

There was no way in life or death that Seteta would permit Persian to take a sample of her blood, but she just shrugged her shoulders--very carefully, to not aggravate her sternum--when he made the request. She couldn't help but blush when he explained how she could pull others in. She really had been remiss about understanding the magic she now controlled, but she also felt frustration. When would she have had the time?

Fury flooded her like ice, however, when Persian glibly spoke of Oor selling Gere even after death.

"Dear Abtatu," she breathed, "no wonder he went pale when I woke him before the Inizae celebration."

She eyed Persian's hand with a little distaste, but she was feeling a stronger than she had when she woke. "Help me lie down again first," she said, reaching for his hand. "And I'd suggest that you sit on the floor next to the bed so that Chaceledon doesn't come in and incinerate you."

Persian cocked an eyebrow. “Yes, I suspect he had a bit of a panic attack. After his death his beauty was still called upon by clients, and Kaska wasn’t nearly as beautiful as his father.” He shook his head. He didn’t agree with everything Oor had done to the Volkers. At the very least, death should have been the end of their torment. For boys like Aluid, Huron and Gere, it had continued long after they ceased breathing.

Perhaps he should have done something.

He took her hand and braced the small of her back with the other, settling her down into the sheets. “Understood, though I think he’ll recognize where we are.” He said in amusement, and sat down on the floor. He grasped her hand, making himself comfortable against the wall, and closed his eyes.

They came in not to the Well, but snowdrifts. Blue glacier surrounded them, eighty foot cliffs that lorded over the valley below. The air was cold enough to drive knives into one’s lungs. Persian instinctively covered his mouth, blinking through the softly falling snow. He could see an assembled army beneath them, huddled in the cold. By the thin blankets they had pulled around themselves, they were hideously underprepared for the cold. Persian drew closer to the glacier edge, trying to spot any standard or nationality.

“Looks like they need a little help warming up.” He heard a cold, whispered sneer. A gigantic bolt the size of a man tore through the air, through Persian as though he didn’t stand there, and down to the camp. It struck them in a billowing explosion of flame and sparks. The ballista it had come from was just as impressive; it had a massive shield on the front stylized in the shape of a snarling dog head. The bolt had leapt from its mouth, and it’s operator was swiftly loading another. Persian watched the man, covered in furs from head to toe, drop the bolt into the track and pull back the string. Doing so meant he had to stand on the arms of the ballista and haul it back himself.

“Gods, it’s a wonder he doesn’t rip his own arms off…” Persian wondered aloud. With a loud snap the bolt was loaded, and the man dropped back down into a seat. Another fiery bolt, ignited as it passed the shield, rained down fury on the camp.

“Try burning villages now you Vel Anir fucks!”

Seteta?” Nestor waved a hand impatiently, and the snow faded. The glacier was gone. “You’re back so soon!”

They appeared in the Well, but not in the office like she was used to. They were in the main part, possibly even the arena. She couldn't quite tell for sure through all the ice and snow--more than she'd ever seen in her entire life.

She was gawking as the scene vanished.

Seteta?” Nestor waved a hand impatiently, and the snow faded. The glacier was gone. “You’re back so soon!”

Seteta smiled, obviously still tired but not feeling quite as awful as she had when she vanished.

"Chaceledon brought Persian, since we can't exactly talk to the Well's creator," she explained, gesturing to the fae. "Is Rheinhard still sleeping?"

Nestor cast the shard back upward with a light toss to join the others. “Glad no one else is awake or they’d be taking him apart like a crab on a wharf.” He said warily. “Rheinhard’s still recovering in the sun room.”

Persian rubbed at his arms. Why did it feel like the cold still lingered? There was still burning smoke in his nostrils and the smell of oiled wood. “I wanted to know what’s happening. If I can help in any way-“

“I think we’ve had enough of your help. Seteta’s the mistress here.” Nestor’s tone was cold. “As far as I can tell once the magic fades a bit, the bond will stabilize.”

“If the connection’s frayed from too much…perhaps she can pull back a bit of her energy? Accelerate recovery.” Persian suggested.

“Could also hurt Tianau. A lot of that excess energy went into cementing him in charge for the time being. He’s not just a shade. That’s his body, molded by Seteta’s magic.” Nestor pointed out.

Persian stared at Seteta. Was she truly that powerful? He could never have dreamed such mastery could have come out of anyone who wasn’t Fae! Much less, someone who hadn’t designed the spell that she now stood in.

“You’re wearing the exact expression I had figuring that out.” Nestor looked at Seteta, pride in his eyes. “What do you think? Let him rest or pull back?”

"Don't worry," Seteta reassured Nestor. "It's not like he can affect the spell. But he did watch Oor create it over the years. I know you've been studying it from within, but Persian might be able to tell us more about the actual process."

She threw a hopeful look toward Persian, quirked her head as she noticed he was shivering. She didn't feel any cold. Had it been the memory shard?

Odd.

When Nestor said that it was Tianau's body, though, she was just as shocked as Persian.

"Gods, it's because Rheinhard died, isn't it?" she whispered, color leeching from her face again.

Aetes must be so worried, she thought. I thought it was just Tianau's soul in Rheinhard's body, but if it's Tianau's body...

She sighed, and gestured for Nestor and Persian to follow her into the sunroom. She needed to sit down.

At least this time she didn't feel quite on the verge of falling over.

"I don't know if I have enough control right now to gradually ease back on the magic," she admitted. "So I think it would be best to let it fade on its own.

"Seikilos sent her grandsons to retrieve my parents," Seteta relayed to Nestor. "I'm sure my
mother will have the sense to bring Tianau with them."

She settles into a pile of cushions, and cast a worried glance at Rheinhard where he slept. He did, thankfully, seem to be resting peacefully.

"I'll try to reach Tianau through the bond again," she told them, then closed her eyes and began to tug at it gently. It responded a little more easily than last time, but it still wasn't as effortless as it had been before. It was like grabbing at a rope dripping with honey.

Tianau? she sent through the bind tentatively. Can you feel the Well? Can you hear me?

Nestor nodded gravely. “He died. The Well used that extra energy to seize the strongest remnant it could…and apparently Tianau fell defending the very same temple your parents are at. His weapons buried there. Proves my theory that the weapons are what bind us here.” He rubbed at the bridge of his nose.

“So the Well, instead of exploding like we all thought, grabbed the strongest soul it could and…retrofitted.” Persian said slowly.

“As near as I can tell, yes. Rheinhard’s still too weak to take control so…Tianau is stuck.” Nestor and Persian followed her to the sunroom, both looking deep in thought. The pair of academics both had a hand rubbing their chins, their eyes far away as they thought.

“Tianau’s been causing problems with your family.” Nestor muttered. “I hope they don’t leave him to crisp.”

“Crisp?” Persian questioned, offering Seteta a pillow for her back.

“Hes albino.”

“In Amol Khalit?” Persian winced. “I’ll leave you some balm, you’ll need it.”

They settled down, waiting. Nestor sat next to her protectively, while Persian settled on the floor and desperately wished he had paper to take notes on.

Tianau’s eyes shot open. It had worked! Oor had responded to him!

Sir, the Temple’s fallen. Everyone thats left appears to be civilians; bastards are holding Kreneides hostage. I don’t even have a sword. Recommend we contact the Capitol and find out what the hell is going o- he stopped mid-report. That wasn’t Oor. That was a woman holding the other end of the bond! That note of unspeakable power from the other end was coming from her, not the chilly shadows of the wraith. He gritted his teeth. Why did nothing feel normal?!

Who are you? Why do you have the Well?

"Perhaps that was a change Abtatu made," Seteta murmured as she grasped at the bond. "So that the Well would not endanger anyone else, should something happen."

She snorted softly at Nestor's statement. "If he's causing trouble, that's even more of a reason for mut to bring him. She knows I control the Well, and she won't leave him there to cause trouble for the others while she's away."

Then she straightened in her seat, clasping Nestor's hand. "I have him."

Sir, the Temple’s fallen. Everyone thats left appears to be civilians; bastards are holding Kreneides hostage. I don’t even have a sword. Recommend we contact the Capitol and find out what the hell is going o- he stopped mid-report. That wasn’t Oor. That was a woman holding the other end of the bond! That note of unspeakable power from the other end was coming from her, not the chilly shadows of the wraith. He gritted his teeth. Why did nothing feel normal?!

Who are you? Why do you have the Well?

For a moment, she felt panic. The temple had fallen? Had someone discovered it? But then Tianau mentioned some capitol and she realized he... was not realizing how much time had passed since his own death.

Tianau... my name is Seteta. I have the Well because Rheinhard Volker gave it to me, she explained. The Inizae that you are with right now--Rehema and Aetes and the others--they are my tribe. My family.

There will be two dragons arriving soon, possibly this morning, maybe later today. Their names... she hesitated a moment. What were their names? Her grasp on the bond faltered for a moment as she tried to straighten out her memories of the prior morning. Ah, there. Their names are Foss and Ataire. If they are able to carry you when leave, you are to go with them. Seteta put the force of command into her thoughts. If they cannot carry you, you are to obey Aetes.

Tell Rehema that I am all right, but that I need her to come to Hedoni. And... do not try to come into the Well yet. It is not quite stable yet,
she finished, then asked more gently. Are you all right? You must be very frightened. Can you tell me what has happened?

Surprise flooded the bond. Tianau blinked for a moment, nearly losing his grip on it, then glared and secured it tightly. He had to know what was going on. Who in Abtatu’s name is Rheinhard? He took a deep breath, and decided to listen. Whoever this woman was, she had the Well, and if she was anything like Oor he’d catch a beating for losing his temper.

Leave? He clenched his hand in the bedsheets. I’m not leaving her behind! A Volker never goes anywhere without his weapon and they’re keeping her from me! And Aetes? The pervert? I woke up with his… it was all over me! His cheeks burned angrily. He’s disgusting!

He recognized the firm grip. That was command. A warning not to act up. He looked balefully at the sleeping man on the floor and resisted the urge to kick him in the ribs. Obey that hairy oaf?

Report. Right. This he could do.

I woke up to the place drenched in blood and that perv-Aetes touching me. I could sense Kreneides under the sands but no one would help me dig her out. No one speaks the same tongue anymore; I speak Abtati but this is…it’s wrong. Only Rehema knows how to speak it. Aetes stumbles over his own mother tongue like a child. They blame me for the blood! I didn’t do a thing. The last thing I remember was being ordered to hold the temple under Oor’s commands. Then I woke up, the temple is half buried, the grounds are destroyed, and there isn’t a single soldier anywhere. I’m babysitting these civilians but they’re stubborn. They won’t listen to me.

Though he spoke strongly and angrily, he was terrified. How much time had passed? Please, whoever you are. My command post back in the Krynid mountains…are they alive? Any of them? Is anyone I know still breathing?

Last edited:
Seteta took a deep breath. He clearly was frightened, and sounded very young, even if he would never admit it.

Rheinhard is the most recent one who carried the Well, Seteta explained patiently. She couldn't even make a guess as to how many years and generations had passed since Tianau walked the earth.

She listened carefully as he spoke. Drenched in blood? That was odd, certainly. Tianau's story was disjointed, but she followed along as best she could.

I'm sorry that Aetes has frightened you, but I promise if you've made your displeasure clear, he will not touch again, she told him. Do you know if there was a battle? Why was there blood everywhere? And... it's possible that our tongue has evolved since you were alive. The Inizae have not had an army since the empire fell, though, so no, there are no soldiers there.

When he complained about having to babysit them, though, Seteta held in a laugh, raising a hand to cover her smile.

They do not need babysitting, and they may not be able to understand you. Would you listen to a stranger who suddenly appeared in your camp, speaking a language you didn't understand, and barking orders?

Her heart sank as he asked about his people, though. She didn't have any answer for him in that regard, let alone ones he would like.

I am unfamiliar with the Krynid, Seteta answered him, trying to be gentle. But that does not mean they are gone. The Inizae have been cut off from the rest of the world for many millenia, and there is much I do not know. As to whether anyone you know is still breathing... unless your people are long-lived...

She hesitated, not wanting to be the one to give him that terrible, terrible news. But he deserved an answer.

It is unlikely.

No battle. No bodies. Just blood. Blood everywhere. We had to burn many of the tents. People’s things are completely ruined. The camp’s been moved but flystrike is still a possibility. Tianau said. I am trying to help them. That Rehema woman refuses to give me my things back. She says I have to prove myself…as though my bones aren’t under the sand next to my weapon!

He got up and paced, fairly certain he accidentally stepped on Aetes on the floor once or twice. He listened to her closely, but her words stunned him into silence. Milennia.

My people are…were human. He swallowed thickly. Grief wrapped itself around his heart. It became harder to breathe and tears pricked at his eyes. They were dead. Most of them for years and years. They’d be dust by now, and he long forgotten. Was his name even passed down? He’d died so long ago, among foreigners.

Tianau pushed away the connection, though it would be Seteta’s choice if she wanted to let him go. She was master, not him. The room was so small. He pushed his way out of the room, stumbling over Aetes, and fell on his knees in the sand. Dawn was just beginning; it was still cool and dim. He covered his face with his hands, and sobbed miserably. Not just dead but dead and forgotten.

He cried miserably, tangling his fingers in his white hair.

All Rehema knows about Well is its existence, Seteta said. She doesn't understand about the weapon. If you talk to Aetes, though, he likely knows more and can help. Rheinhard confided in him.

She felt the grief that enveloped Tianau as the sheer amount of time that had passed hit him.

My people are…were human.

She felt him try to distance himself from the bond, and she didn't force him to stay. As she let her hold fade away, Seteta flooded it with as much comfort as she could summon.

I'm sorry. It must be so hard to learn.

She sighed and opened her eyes.

"He understands what had happened now, I think. And I've commanded him to come with my parents if Seikilos' grandsons are able to carry him as well. If not, he's to follow Aetes' commands," Seteta told Nestor with a weary voice. "But now he is grieving the loss of everyone he ever knew.

"He mentioned the Inizae camp being bathed in blood. Do you know what happened before Rheinhard died?"

She turned to Persian next. "Tianau mentioned the Krynid mountains. Do you know if his people exist still? If they are there?"

Seteta gnawed her lip worriedly, glancing at Rheinard again. "I am concerned at what might happen when he tries to take Tianau's place. Will it even be possible, if Tianau's body had replaced Rheinhard's?"

Aetes had almost fallen asleep the first time Tianau stepped on him. The second time, the priest snarled at him. The third time... it was less that he was kicked or stepped on, and more that Tianau seemed desperate to get out.

Aetes sighed. He missed Rheinhard.

He stood up and retrieved another blanket. He didn't know much about the strange appearance of the boy's skin, but he was certain the albino would regret it if he was out without protection when the sun rose.

He followed, but stayed several paces away as Tianau crumpled to the ground and sobbed.

“He likely won’t leave without that damned ballista.” Nestor muttered. “I don’t know what condition it’ll be in after so long but it won’t be charitable. He’ll have to buck up and learn to deal with it fast. I don’t know what happened in the camp. The world went mad the moment the shockwave struck. I was thrown out of the Well. We all were. When I came to we were all awake and fighting one another.”

Persian frowned. “That much blood can’t have come from Rheinhard, even if Tianau ripped himself out of the body. Another quirk we have yet to explore. I don’t suppose they’re up to saving any of the blood mixed with alcohol are they?”

“Are you mad? These are goat herding pacifists. I doubt they know what a sample is. No offense.” Nestor eyed Seteta.

“The Krynid mountains are a fairly inhospitable region in Hokkai, the northernmost country of our world. Full of brigands who steal off of trading caravans, but rumor has it they were once noble. Shifting People of the Frozen Sand, loosely translated. Not much is known about them. That Oor was ever able to capture one of their women is a miracle in itself.” Persian took off his glasses, sighing.

“Oh believe me before you he was quite creative about what he wanted mixed in.” Nestor said dourly. “It’s my theory that Rheinhard will likely have to push to reclaim the body, but it’s not permanent. It shifted once it can do so again.”

“Disturbing thought.” Persian rubbed at the lenses.

Tianau screamed against the sands. Everyone was dead. He hadn’t gotten the chance to say goodbye. He’d just vanished. Worse still, they’d forgotten him. He was a painting on a cave wall somewhere. He was nothing. Being forgotten hurt the most.

He wasn’t so unaware that he didn’t hear Aetes. He sat up, taking deep, shuddering breaths. He rubbed angrily at his eyes, looking every bit the frightened teenager he was. He was stuck here, thousands of years past his time.

“I’m not crying.” he snapped defensively.

Gods, he was chained here. Alive again but for what? All he wanted to do was forget. Wrap himself up in something else. If there had been wine nearby he would have been downing bottles. Instead he got up and marched straight over to Aetes. He threw his arms around the other man and kissed him deeply. “Just…help me get away from myself..” he whispered against the priest’s lips.

"If he's reasonable in his request, I see no reason why my mother won't unearth it for him," Seteta shrugged. "I imagine the only reason she hasn't done it so far is that there were more pressing matters she had to deal with."

She stuck her tongue out at Nestor when he called the Inizae goat herding pacifists. They knew how to fight, and often did so. They just didn't have an army. "The healer might think of it," Seteta told Persian. "But I can't make any guarantees."

She frowned as Nestor spoke of Rheinhard possibly needing to reclaim the body. "I can't imagine it was painless the first time," she murmured.

Seteta took a weary breath, and leaned back against the cushions. "Was there anything else you needed to know in here, Persian? I think I'd like to sleep again."

While she wasn't looking green again yet, her face was growing pale again, and a light sheen of sweat was spreading across her chest.

Aetes just shrugged, still holding the blanket. He didn't care if Tianau was crying. He just cared if he got burned by the sun. However this Volker had been... resurrected, in some way it was still Rheinhard's flesh.

Tianau stood and stepped toward him, and Aetes expectantly held out the blanket. Then he stiffened as Tianau completely ignored it and kissed him instead.

“Just…help me get away from myself..” he whispered against the priest’s lips.

"Get your hands off me," Aetes growled, though he wasn't overly rough as he broke the embrace and stepped back, the blanket falling to the ground at Tianau's feet.

"What, by all Abtatu makes holy, makes you think that you can do that after accusing me, multiple times, of raping you in the last few hours?"

Persian stepped closer to examine her, and nodded. “Yes, I think it’s best we leave. You shouldn’t make a habit of sleeping in here, being alive.” He pointed out. “But at least we’ve educated ourselves a bit about what Rheinhard faces. Pity he must do the majority of it alone.”

“If the stupid kid doesn’t get us all killed.” Nestor groused. He made a shooing motion at Persian to wait in the main chamber, and helped Seteta to her feet. “Verbena and wisteria syrup to help with her bond and magic. If there’s any Lady’s Mantle on the grounds, some of the sap from that as well. What have you got her on?” Nestor barked at Persian.

“A tincture to help her sleep, ward away nausea. Mint, yarrow and althea root.” Persian sighed. “Wisteria will be hard to find even in these gardens. I may have to send for some.”

“The verbena is the important bit.” Nestor steadied Seteta until she left the Well.

Once out, Persian let go of her hand and sucked in air. Gods, going into the Well was such a strange experience. Like dying. He rubbed his temple. He checked on Seteta, and helped her change, then let her rest. He had medicine to prepare, and grounds to familiarize himself with.

Chaceledon returned the moment Persian was finished occupying the stairs. He kissed Seteta’s forehead, and curled up next to her. She was still the most beautiful creature in the world to him.

Tianau stepped back, glaring. Rejection stung, even from someone he didn’t necessarily want to sleep with. He didn’t want to be alone in his own head. He didn’t want to be alone at all. He grabbed the blanket and covered himself, shooting Aetes a hateful look.

“Fine then, I’ll find someone else.” he snapped. He turned on his heel. He didn’t care who he slept with. He just wanted someone’s arms around him. He wanted to take comfort in another for just a few hours. Besides, he was beautiful! His face was flawless, his eyes garnet. Those snowy lashes had been envied by every woman from the mountains to the Empire! Surely one of the Inizae would prove braver than his fellows? Only one way to find out.

Tianau fixed his hair and arranged the blanket. It was still dawn, he still had time. He walked with a purpose toward the rest of the camp. He was the most beautiful thing here. He was flawless, lithe and muscular as a cat. There wasn’t any way the Inizae weren’t going to fall for him.

He desperately didn’t want to be alone. He wanted to be curled up with someone. He remembered his unit, curled up under furs in the mountains. There were always quiet, feverish trysts in that mass of bodies. He’d always encouraged it. When they bonded like that they fought better. Of course, if those snaking hands ever went to his provisions instead of his hips, they got smashed across the mouth. Krynians ruled by the law of fang and club. Krynians did not make soldiers who cried and grieved.

Still, as he searched his jaw tightened. He’d never see them again. He’d never wake up with ten other soldiers sprawled under and around him for warmth. Of course if he’d put any of them above Oor the wraith would have strangled them on the spot, but Tianau had done well with them. He hadn’t hesitated. So many of them had borne his marks; missing ears, scarred cheeks and shoulders.

Now they were dead. Not only dead, but any graves they’d had would have been buried by the snows and time.

“You. Come with me.” he ordered a boy roughly his own age, who was sitting near the fire having breakfast.

Last edited:
It was frustrating, to feel reasonably fine and then have the weariness hit her so suddenly it made her dizzy. She let Nestor help her up and steady her, barely hearing the words that he and Persian exchanged.

"I'll be back tomorrow," she told Nestor, "to check on Rheinhard.*

At least this time she managed to pull herself and Persian out of the Well more smoothly than she'd left it before.

Seteta was pale and trembling with weariness and let Persian help her change into a new nightgown and settle into the bed without even a word of protest. She had a few sips of water and ate a couple more crackers before lying down and pulling the blankets up to her shoulders, holding back shivers.

She was nearly asleep even before Persian left the room, but roused when she felt warm lips on her forehead.

"I'm cold," she whispered, trying to scoot closer to Chaceledon. "And I don't want to dream. I just want to sleep."

A tear leaked from her eye as she recalled the dreams and the news from earlier. Saltarello. Amphetrion. So many other faces that she couldn't quite name but felt like she should be able to. All of them made her want to weep.

Aetes sighed wearily as the albino stormed away. He'd snapped without intending to, though his feelings on the issue were true. He didn't want to be touched or kissed by Tianau Volker.

He was exhausted and worried. If Rheinhard were any other man, Aetes felt that he would be dead. But there was... a chance he wasn't, surely. Wasn't there? Abtatu had promised him a life as long as whatever mate he took, but Aetes wasn't foolish enough to think that made Rheinhard invincible and immortal.

Aetes followed behind Tianau at a distance and groaned when he approached the boy by the fire. He quickened his steps, then breathed a sigh of relief as he saw Seteta's father step out from between the few remaining tents.

Ausar waved Aetes off, and the priest shot him a grateful look, then stepped back several paces and sat down at another fire, ready to intervene if needed.

The young Inizae looked up at Tianau with confusion. What was he saying? He looked nothing like any Abtati he'd ever seen before!

"Are you lost?" the boy asked, then held out his half-eaten bowl of rice porridge. "Hungry?" A bracelet of braided goat's hair with a flat, square sandstone bead strung on it was wrapped around his wrist.

Ausar stepped up beside Tianau and clapped on a hand on his shoulder.

"You can do better than him,* Ausar purred, gently tugging Tianau away. He spoke the ancient form of Abtat that Tianau did, and though not quite as fluently as his wife, it was a far cry better than Aetes.

Chaceledon wound his arms around her. He was warm to the touch, and he welcomed her against his chest. “You need to sleep. Persian’s working on something to help with the burn out; he should have it when you wake.” he said quietly. He didn’t know how to keep the dreams from her…gods, had he the power he would grant her nothing but the quiet refuge of sleep.

Gods knew he wouldn’t be able to get a bit of sleep. He was worried about her. She had such a good appetite and she’d only nibbled at food and water. He stroked his fingers through her hair, letting his claws just brush her scalp. He sang softly to her, sweet lullabies in draconian he hadn’t used since Rheinhard was a child. Whatever happened, he would be right beside her.

Before, his family had been the most important thing in his life. He’d been terrified of being hedahn, and separated from their culture. That fear was lessening by the day. He still wanted to see her triumph if only to see her flex her magic like he knew she could…but he would marry her regardless.

Barely concealed grief and rage focused on the other teen for a moment. Foolish, stupid boy! He was weighing just using the bowl to break his teeth in when a strong hand settled on his shoulder. The familiar language purring in his ear made shivers go down his spine. He released the other boy, gave a cold look at Aetes, and looked at Ausar.

He followed the other man, head high on his neck. He wanted more of those strong hands, and that gentle voice. He wanted to think about something, anything else than cold mountains and colors painted by the gods in the sky.

"Persian said Amphetrion died," Seteta whispered against Chaceledon's shoulder as he pulled her close. "Apparently whatever I did disrupted... a lot of magic."

His fingers combing through her hair were soothing, though, and his claws barely scratching at her scalp quieted her thoughts.

"Love you," she murmured, and snuggled into his chest, letting the familiar words and melodies he sang carry her off to sleep.

Ausar winked at Aetes as Tianau's focus shifted from the Inizae teen to himself. His and Rehema's tent, while not ruined by the blood spray, needed extensive cleaning, so he led the albino to his own mother's tent instead. Nebit had already gone back to sleep after the excitement of the night.

Rehema was resting under the healer's supervision inside the temple. The thought of her--and their growing child--made Ausar frown for a moment. Rehema had planned to go on sabbatical in a few weeks, but he suspected after the stress of the prior night, Aetes would be stepping up to lead for her a little more quickly than planned.

But he wiped away the frown quickly, and gave Tianau a warm and mischievous grin as he ushered the boy into the welcoming darkness of the tent and led him to an empty sleeping room. It would have been nearly pitch black within, even as the sun rose, if not for a brass lantern strung from a pole by the door.

Ausar nudged Tianau toward the heap of blankets and cushions in the middle of the room, softly running a hand down his neck to his shoulder and tugging at the blanket wrapped around the boy.

"Tell me what you want," Ausar ordered, purring once more. He hadn't missed the way Tianau shivered when he spoke like that by the campfire.