Private Tales Of Sand & Dragonfire

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Seteta scrunched her nose up. "I figured they would have to be invited to the Draconian wedding, at least," she murmured before shoveling some food in her mouth. "As for the Inizae one... we'll see."

The only way she saw Persian being an acceptable invite to the Inizae wedding was if it was combined with the Draconian one. And right now... she wasn't sure that was possible.

When Chaceledon asked about the gold... Rehema frowned, thinking back to everything that had happened in the cave with the springs.

"The... zombie, it was? Oscar?" she mused. "He gave your Rheinhard something, but I couldn't see what it was."

“Think of it as the first step in a healing process…and the chance for some of the Inizae Persian owns to interact with their culture. I know such an event would be viewed as historic, and Persian might bring Amphetrion.” Chaceledon reassured her gently, patting her knee. He knew that she wasn’t exactly friendly with Pedeo but he wanted to maintain at least a lukewarm friendship with the iron city. He still wanted to eventually design collars for Auction.

He frowned at Rehema. “Rosebury has always been clever. Fae and their tricks, just like Inizae and the earth. Though…they’re very determined, and if they wanted to attack us they’d have done it when people began splintering off. We might gain a little more knowledge inviting him in and just asking what he’s doing. We just…have to make it more entertaining to tell us than keep the secret.”

Last edited:
"Amphetrion?" Rehema murmured, her eyes widening at the name.

Seteta set her fork down and swallowed her last bite of eggs, then nodded. "Persian said he was... the first Inizae he captured. He is... ancient beyond reckoning."

"You met him?"

"Briefly. It's... part of why I'm here."

Rehema sighed, and Ausar reached for her hand to give it a comforting squeeze. "I am glad I heeded Abtatu's guidance, then," Rehema said. "I think this will be the only place where I can give you satisfactory answers to... everything."

Seteta settled her hand over Chaceledon's, where it rested on her knee. "It's up to my mother," she said, meeting Rehema's gaze, "about how to deal with Rosebury."

Rehema sighed again. "For now, we will treat them as any desert wanderers. They are our guests until they act otherwise, but they are not privy to the temple, nor do we owe them any information about our numbers or our travelings."

Chaceledon caught her gaze. “You know the name Amphetrion..? He’s a sweet old pet who seemed to have some connection with Seteta. He runs the Library of Pedeo, and currently keeps the Pet Registry. Persian is very fond of him.” he said. He picked up Seteta’s hand and kissed it, looking at Rehema and Ausar. “Come on then. Why don’t I actually introduce you to Rosebury?”

He hoped they wouldn’t startle as badly.

Finding Oscar wasn’t hard. The man had set himself up a small table for elevensies, boiling water for tea and arranging little bits of meat, cheese and toasted bread on a platter for himself. He was a strange one even for a zombie, and Chaceledon still marveled at his ability to eat. Oscar was humming merrily to himself, parasol spinning softly in the wind.

"According to our histories, Amphetrion was the captain of the royal guard for the last Pharaoh," Rehema said. "He vanished during the final uprising as Nailah fled."

As Chaceledon offered to formally introduce them, Rehema nodded. "It's been many years since we dealt directly with the fae. Our existence depended on being... non-existent, as much as possible. But it is time we came out of the shadows."

Seteta had nothing to add. It was her mother's decision, as high priestess, and she would abide by it. Though she felt a little like there was quite a bit going on that had been hidden from her.

As they prepared to trek out into the desert sands in the heat of the day once more, Seteta very cautiously opened the door to the bond between her and Rheinhard.

Tentatively, she reached for that cord. Rheinhard? We're about to go meet with Oscar. Can you bring Aetes?

When they finally approached Oscar, Seteta murmured quietly to Chaceledon, "After you've done the introduction, let my mother speak first. She represents Abtatu and the Inizae as high priestess."

A Tentative Truce
Chaceledon blinked. How in the gods’ names has Persian kept him alive? He’s looked old for as long as I’ve known him.” He fell silent in thought. If Amphetrion was the captain of the guard for the last pharaoh, then what had been that incident in Pedeo? Was the old man just getting confused in his old age, and mistaking Seteta for his ancient ruler? Did she look like Nailah? He exchanged a look with Seteta. She should tell her mother what happened.

There was a sense of startle coming from Rheinhard. He hadn’t expected to be interrupted, and was clearly in the middle of something. Yes, was the only reply she got before he pulled away from the chord between them, with tendrils of embarrassment and arousal filtering down to Seteta.

Oscar rose when they approached, and smiled. “Seteta! Why, don’t you put the sunshine to shame? You look lovely. Chaceledon, always a pleasure. Aluicious misses you at the Summer Court, you were always up for a good wager.” He greeted them cheerily. “And who is this fetching creature? You have her regal bearing.” He said in a side comment to Seteta, bowing to Rehema.

Chaceledon nodded to Rehema.
“Rehema, this is Oscar Viotto, warlock to the Lord of Luck, Poet of the Unearthed. Oscar, this is Rehema, High Priestess of the Inizae.” he gestured between them as he said their names.

“A pleasure to meet you, Rehema.” Oscar said warmly. “Aluicious should be joining us shortly.”

Last edited:
Seteta snorted softly at Oscar's greeting but gave the zombie a friendly smile as she nodded in greeting.

She stayed at Chaceledon's side as he introduced her mother, but grimaced slightly at the title he gave her.

“A pleasure to meet you, Rehema.” Oscar said warmly. “Aluicious should be joining us shortly.”

"High Priestess of Abtatu," Rehema corrected with a gentle smile. "While I may primarily serve the Inizae, I am bound to wherever Abtatu sends me first. But I am also Seteta's mother, and this is my husband, Ausar."

Rehema nodded toward Ausar, then gestured Seteta forward. "Raise a shade for us please, bit," she requested, then turned back to Oscar.

"It has been many years since fae have stepped foot onto the temple grounds. Before any of your party comes any closer than you have, there are things we must ask you to respect."

Seteta quietly knelt and pressed her hand to the ground. A moment later, a tall roof of sand, slanted to give them the greatest amount of shade against the sun, lifted over their heads.

Oscar smiled and bowed again to Ausar. The shade was raised and Chaceledon settled on the sand. Oscar offered him a cup of tea, which was practically syrup. The dragon glanced in the cup and declined politely; fae loved their sugar far too much. Oscar chuckled, taking no offense to the rejection of his sugary gift.

“Of course, madam. I have to admit with the way Persian spoke of you, my master and I are merely curious. Aluicious is fond of humans and elves in particular.” Oscar told her politely. He didn’t think much of this attempt to get the elves’ secrets out of them. Persian hadn’t succeeded in centuries of trying. Seteta wouldn’t likely be the key now. It would take decades of effort to get the Inizae to lower their defenses, and by then the elves that Persian did have would be too old to breed.

Oscar loved the romanticism of it all. Driven from their homes by an angry god, paying penance out on the sands. Living by the skin of ones teeth. It was all so rugged.

Rheinhard approached them, knives in full view to warn Oscar and priest in tow. Oscar looked between them. Rheinhard was trying to be a bit too professional…and their scents were mingled. Oscar smiled lightly at Rheinhard, who bared his teeth at the zombie.

“Well well, I think Rheinhard is fitting in just fine.” Oscar joked.

"How does Persian speak of us?" Rehema asked curiously as she took a seat near Chaceledon. Ausar and Seteta settled nearby as well.

Seteta quietly worked her own magic in the background. There were ways to manipulate the sand she controlled, to allow for cooling airflow around them. While it wouldn't chill like the strange magic box in the Lion House had, the heat of the day wouldn't be oppressive in their spot of shade.

Ausar extended his own magic into it, lending his strength to Seteta. While it was something she was more than capable of maintaining on her own, there was no reason for her to exhaust herself.

As Aetes and Rheinhard approached, Seteta looked up at them and bit back a grin. The priest was... definitely flustered.

Aetes settled next to Rehema with a quiet murmur of apology for being late.

"This is Aetes," Rehema introduced the other Inizae. "He will likely be high priest after me."

Oscar smiled, but didn’t answer Rehema. Their little sand dome was a charming invention, and Oscar took a moment to put his hand on it. “How interesting.” He commented. He looked between Aetes and Rheinhard with a knowing smile, which earned him a loud snort from Rheinhard. “Oh he still, dear. Please, have some tea and biscuits.”

A rapping noise began on the outside of the shell. It was curious tapping, made by knuckles, and trailed around them in a half circle before Rosebury popped out near Rheinhard. The other bolted up and put a good fifteen feet between them. Rosebury laughed. “Oh good lord. I sneak up on him once and he starts blowing like a stallion.” the fae plopped himself down in Oscar’s chair and took up a cup of tea for himself. Seteta, lovely to see you. Oscar and Persian told me all about you.”

Oscar gestured to Rehema and Ausar, and Rosebury gasped. “Your parents! How sweet. Mm! Right to business. We wanted to come see how you were. Well, to be more honest Persian’s trailing you for a study but I really think he’d do better from the air. I offered him scouts but he’s afraid of the sky. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, most people are.”

“And we’ve no interest in slavery. The binding and breaking of mortals…I think we’d sooner throw stones through stained glass windows.” Oscar reassured them.

Rosebury nodded in agreement.
“But really, we’re all family here. You’ll need me to continue the Volker line now that Oor’s out of the picture-“ He leaned to the side as a blade whistled next to Ausar and buried itself in the sand shell. Rheinhard circled them, clearly uncomfortable. “-Oscar is helplessly fond with you, and I admit I’m stalking your fiancé in hopes to contract him. The House of Coins has its fingers in many affairs not just fae ones.”

Chaceledon chuckled. “You know my sewing needle is yours, Aluicious.”

Rehema noted Oscar's avoidance of her question, and gave Aluicious a somewhat strained smile when he finally joined them.

Seteta eyed the fae lord skeptically when he said Oscar and Persian had told him all about her.

Rosebury at least confirmed that Persian was following them, and Rehema would be able to take the proper precautions now.

"You may not be interested in slavery yourself," Rehema said, "but your acquaintance has long enslaved our people. I am uncertain whether things can ever be amiable between us if you plan to condone Person's ways."

Stop.
Seteta's warning rang through the bond, though not as a command, when Rheinhard threw the knife. This is the High Priestess' domain and she has accepted Oscar and Aluicious as guests. To threaten them will bring a punishment on us both, since I have guaranteed your actions with my life.

Aetes plucked the knife out of the sand dome and handed it back to to Rheinhard, though his eyes held a silent warning.

Seteta slipped her hand into Chaceledon's, smiling wanly as Rosebury plied him for his skills.

"On the matter of the Volkers..." she murmured quietly, "I don't think we have any interest in continuing the line simply for the sake of doing so. I, for one, would rather find a way to end the curse."

“Condone is such a strong word. Pets are part of fae culture. It’s difficult for some to see how they could possibly be deleterious. Especially since they seem to thrive under his care. That said, I don’t think he’s here hunting, and he knows I’d take offense to it in my presence. I firmly believe that if you can’t lure a man to your side of his own volition you don’t deserve him at all.” Rosebury said dismissively. He chuckled when Aetes grasped the blade, and waved a hand. “Volkers tend to respond to discomfort with violence. I’m very well used to it.” The faerie pulled back his sleeves and pointed to several faded bite marks, an old knife slash, and what looked like a small chunk missing out of his upper right arm.

Rosebury laughed at the idea of ending the curse. “My dear that is a Herculean task on its own! Putting that many souls to rest and dismantling such a spell? I couldn’t even begin. I don’t know where an elf would, no offense to yourself.” He gestured to Rheinhard. “When you need the spell all you’ve to do is ask. And you will, eventually.”

Chaceledon cleared his throat and looked at Rehema. “Would it be an imposition to allow himself and Oscar to join us tonight? Not in the temple of course, but perhaps for supper?”

“Perish the thought, I’m already missing my kitchen. But I did have an ulterior motive in coming here. The Autumn Court is quite disappointed in you three for not coming to address your little citizenship hiccup.” Rosebury made a tutting sound. “You ought do that before the Cardinals officially subpoena you. I heard that’s not a pleasant experience.”

Chaceledon winced. “We will. Soon.”

An empty building by the sea stood alone, the outward facing stones coated in salt. It had once been a grand building, with wide windows that opened out onto the ocean, pristine grounds of beachgrass, pampas grass and lavender, and an expansive dock. Seaworth was never going to be the size of Dahn Peridot or even Dahn Agrys, but it had always held its own by being clean and beautiful. It’s carvings of the sea, massive shells decorating the walls, pearl inlay, and whalebone accents had been the envy of the more landlocked dahns.

Dust covered those pearl garlands and whalebone tables now. Seaworth was dark without servants to light the candles, the kitchen was a nightmarish mess, and the foyer had been neglected to the point where birds were threatening to nest in the rafters. The war against terns and gulls seemed to be shifting in the favor of the birds in the absence of any servants to scare them off.

Nica had kept his own areas more habitable, but even those showed signs of strain. He’d damaged his expensive linens learning how to wash them himself. His closet was full of half-folded laundry. The only things he kept scrupulously clean were the bathroom and the warmed sand pit he used for dust bathing.

He was barely holding down those portions. Nica sat in his bath, a huge clamshell that had been cleaned and repurposed for draconian use, and counted out coins. He’d sold all of his jewelry long ago, even the stones Chaceledon had left him.

Sixty gold coins. That was all that lay between him and starvation.

Nica hurled them across the bathroom in rage.

Hours later he crawled into bed, chewing on the last of the crackers he’d bought in Ragash. At the very least his nest of pillows and plush blankets was intact, and he hugged one of the pillows to his chest.

Poor dear thing.. the other occupant of the bed sighed, and pulled Nica close to his side. Skeletal fingers arranged Nica’s red hair, and brushed a stray strand behind his ear. I’m here. And unlike him…I won’t leave you. Oor leaned down to kiss the dragon’s cheek, and let him sob into his lap.

Quietly, slowly, the heat from the sand pit blinked out. The wind from the sea leeched the heat out of the room. Nica was tired…and Oor’s fingers were so comforting. He fell asleep in the wraith’s embrace.

He woke to a loud cracking sound, and more pain than he’d ever been in. It made spots hover at the edge of his vision, and his back snapped taut.

Deep breaths now.

He felt something through the pain. Something pressing against his ankle, then another loud snap. There. You’re going to hurt, little dragon, but I promise you…persist through it and I might grant you Chaceledon. Perhaps even the chance to kill that elven bitch. Are you listening?

Skeletal fingers seized his scalp and lifted his tear streaked face to Oor. He nodded, and the wraith dropped him.

Good. Now let’s get those ankles bound. I want you hobbled, not crippled permanently. Just until I know I can trust you…

Last edited:
"Pets may be part of fae culture," Rehema countered, "but the Inizae are not fae, and never have been. With the exception of a few individuals, we as a race have never consented to becoming pets."

Aetes' eyes flickered over the scars Rosebury displayed. "Regardless," the priest answered, "it is not permitted under these circumstances. Our apologies."

Rosebury laughed at the idea of ending the curse. “My dear that is a Herculean task on its own! Putting that many souls to rest and dismantling such a spell? I couldn’t even begin. I don’t know where an elf would, no offense to yourself.” He gestured to Rheinhard. “When you need the spell all you’ve to do is ask. And you will, eventually.”

Annoyance glimmered in Seteta's eyes at the way Rosebury made light of the task she intended to take on, but she didn't miss what he said. Putting that many souls to rest. She wasn't sure how, but that would certainly be a start.

"If I do not start," she answered, "then no one ever will."

Rehema nodded when Chaceledon asked if Oscar and Rosebury could stay for the evening festivities, even as Rosebury declined.

"If you change your mind, you are welcome to stay for dinner this evening," Rehema said. "But do not approach the temple or the oasis. It is protected by Abtatu and our god... does not tend to view fae in a favorable light."

“Perish the thought, I’m already missing my kitchen. But I did have an ulterior motive in coming here. The Autumn Court is quite disappointed in you three for not coming to address your little citizenship hiccup.” Rosebury made a tutting sound. “You ought do that before the Cardinals officially subpoena you. I heard that’s not a pleasant experience.”

Chaceledon winced. “We will. Soon.”

"The... three of us?" Seteta murmured curiously.

• Yay
Reactions: Chaceledon
“Yes dear, the three of you. Rheinhard’s citizenship, Chaceledon’s, and yourself. Rheinhard is…well, a reliquary unto himself. You’re the owner of that reliquary and you forced a divorce of a Mesial Lord there. They view the Well as quite the headache and they might be a bit concerned. At least with Oor they knew what they were getting.” Rosebury tutted playfully. “I suppose they’ll be asking if you’d like to become a citizen what with you owning the Well. A bit of impromptu dentistry and you’ll be right as rain.”

Chaceledon pulled back his cheek to show an emerald set into his right molar. “It’s a pass to the fae court of the dead. You have that in your tooth, as me and Rheinhard do, and the gate will let you in without being dead.” he explained.

Rosebury rose, and bowed deeply to Rehema and Ausar. Deeper than Chaceledon expected for a fae. Oscar did the same. “If we feel peckish before then we will happily stop by. Until then, I suppose we will see you at the wedding.” Rosebury said cheerfully.

Setata shuddered at the sight of the emerald embedded in Chaceledon's molar. She couldn't imagine any reason why she would need to visit the court of the dead beyond... this incident.

Rehema gracefully inclined her head as Rosebury bowed low to her and Ausar. Ausar did the same.

"The wards will permit three of you through," Rehema said. "Yourself, Oscar, and one guard or... companion. Please do not try to bring more than that. Abtatu is the one who controls the wards, not me. I cannot guarantee the safety of any others."

Oscar nodded to Rehema and packed up his things. The rugs shivered beneath the sand, and the chairs folded up and were sharply sucked down. He picked up his parasol and held it over Rosebury’s head to protect from the sun. The fae took his arm and smiled at the assembled mortals, Rheinhard in particular. “I’ll be betting on you dear. Let’s give it…four months. I’ll be back with your birthday present.” Rosebury blew him a kiss, and turned to leave.

Rheinhard escorted them out. Escorted was perhaps a strong word; he followed them at a respectful distance and charged whenever Oscar looked like he wasn’t paying attention. Oscar didnt have to do much more than wave him off with the parasol, and he darted off blowing and growling. It was the same way a cougar or bear would warn someone off a territory. Rosebury laughed at it, relentlessly amused, and Oscar clicked at him like he would a horse.

Chaceledon watched his son, a slight frown on his face. Rheinhard was worried and defending Aetes. It was a decent instinct to have, but if he was mate guarding this early he worried about separating them. He stood, and walked out a bit to watch them, but didn’t call Rheinhard back.

“Keep an eye on the Well the next few days. Brade knows the signs but Rosebury always goes for the laugh instead of what’s…polite.” he told Seteta with a sigh.

"Rheinhard just... doesn't do subtle, does he?" Seteta laughed softly to Chaceledon as she lowered the sand around them. She grinned when she glanced over at Aetes, but the priest was already busy conversing quietly with her mother, though she did see that he was glancing toward Rheinhard off and on as well.

“Keep an eye on the Well the next few days. Brade knows the signs but Rosebury always goes for the laugh instead of what’s…polite.” he told Seteta with a sigh.

"The signs?"
Seteta stilled, her focus shifting back to Chaceledon. "What exactly do I need to watch for with the Well? And what did Rosebury mean when he said he was betting on Rheinhard?"

When Rheinhard returned to the group, Rehema and Aetes came over to join them, the priestess taking a spot at Ausar's side, and Aetes just behind her. She looked between Seteta, Chaceledon, and Rheinhard with gentle eyes, though her expression was somber.

"You will tell them what is to be done to enter the temple?" Rehema said to Seteta. "What is expected?"

Seteta nodded.

"Aetes and I will go and prepare," Rehema said. "I do not know how the presence of this... Well will change things. Chaceledon will enter first, then Seteta, and Rheinhard last. The temple knows Seteta, so hopefully she can make the way for the Well to be accepted."

Seteta bit nervously at the inside of her lip and took a deep breath. She... hadn't even thought of that aspect.

"Two hours," Rehema said. "You may eat meat and drink water, but do not indulge in sweets. After that, meet us at the temple entrance."

Aetes reached over and brushed the back of his hand softly against Rheinhard's cheek with a gentle smile. "I will see you in a while."

Then Rehema and Aetes parted from them, and returned ahead of them to the camp.

Ausar walked with Seteta, Chaceledon, and Rheinhard.

"It is a privilege for those who are not Inizae to be invited into the temple," Seteta spoke quietly as they walked. She adjusted her headscarf to better shade her eyes from the bright midday sun, then looped her arm through Chaceledon's. "Most Inizae only enter it once in their lifetime, after completing the vision quest. That is the only time I have entered the temple myself.

"You are to enter the temple unencumbered by the worries of life. Hair down, no jewelry or cosmetics. Especially no weapons. Wear something that is easy to change in and out of. We'll be given linen robes to change into once we arrive.

"Inside the entrance is what we call Abtatu's Cleansing. It is a spring that flows across the path that leads into the heart of the temple. When entering, one must go through it. Many say that they meet Abtatu in the water."

The tents were coming back into sight then, but Seteta hesitated, turning to look at Rheinhard. "I think... perhaps we should have the others wait on their pedestals. I don't know how Abtatu's Cleansing will affect the Well. The quieter the spell can be would likely be better."

Chaceledon chuckled a bit at Seteta’s comment. No, Rheinhard wasn’t subtle. “Rosebury helped a few of the Volkers conceive. He means he’s betting that Rheinhard will ask him for the spell in four months. Our son took offense.” He gestured toward Rheinhard, who feinted toward Rosebury’s shoulder and earned a sharp rap across the nose from Oscar’s parasol. “…Clearly. I’m not sure if it was a crack at his age or his fawning over Aetes. Or both, really. Rosebury is starting a game with Rheinhard he can’t see. He’s betting on Aetes fathering the next generation of Volkers. Rheinhard is…well, offended.”

Chaceledon sighed. Still treated like he was a prize bull dog even after all these years. And his only way of expressing it was attacking like said bull dog. Rheinhard’s relationship with Aetes was new and Rheinhard so sweet and naive. No wonder he took the insult that he’d allow Aetes to father a child on him so deeply.

Rheinhard returned with a deep glower on his face. He shook his head a bit, wagging his chin from side to side like an irritated horse. The Well and the temple…he took a deep breath and steeled himself. He would deal with this as well as he could, but nervousness tainted the bond.

That was banished with warmth as Aetes touched his cheek. Rheinhard didn’t tear his eyes off the priest until they were out of sight. Chaceledon hid a smirk, and let Ausar lead them. He tuned back in to hear the words no cosmetics and no jewelry. He touched his fingertips, and the glass nails hiding his clawless fingers.
Any jewelry?” he squeaked a bit. He didn’t know how well he’d do with…no makeup. “Not even something to even out my skin?” Chaceledon asked worriedly, touching a cheek.

“Nestor wishes to remain awake.” Rheinhard told her quietly. “It is unlikely he will be content with my memories.”

“How cold is the water?” Chaceledon asked Ausar in worry. He was terrified of falling asleep and drowning.

"Within four months?" Seteta snorted and shook her head. "Perhaps Rosebury should have also consulted Aetes about this."

Just because something could be done with magic... that didn't mean it should be done. The potential of having a child together, regardless of how it was done though, was something to be discussed between Aetes and Rheinhard before anything else.

She reached for Chaceledon's hand when he nervously touched his face.

"No one here will think differently of you for those things," Seteta told him. "We all have our own scars. Life in the desert is not easy."

Seteta frowned slightly when Rheinhard spoke of Nestor. "He may have to be content with the memories," she murmured. "I am honestly not even sure how much of it he'll be able to see, even if he was awake. What everyone experiences is... different."

“How cold is the water?” Chaceledon asked Ausar in worry. He was terrified of falling asleep and drowning.

Ausar's eyes widened slightly. That had not been the type of question he was expecting, but... he could see how it would be a concern, if Chaceledon's physical body was anything like an actual lizard in how it functioned.

"It is cold," Ausar answered. "The stream is fed by an underground spring, and it doesn't see the sunlight until it exits the temple. But you won't go into the water unattended, and no one has ever come to harm within the temple."

“I think he knows that if he bothered to ask we’d be watching a fight between a zombie and a Volker right now.” Chaceledon mentioned quietly. He didn’t tug his hand away from her, but he looked disquieted. I think differently of me without them. Please don’t let me fall asleep and drown.”

He squeezed her hand a bit, but soon separated from her to prepare in their room. He took off his nails, and washed his fingers. Chaceledon looked hatefully at the scarred nail beds. He hated his fingers. He missed his long, elegant claws. They had been shining copper, glittering with health. Oor still had them, just like he still had Seteta’s blade. Chaceledon sighed angrily and washed his face clean. No cosmetics at all. No eyeliner, no cream, no nothing. Just himself. He pulled the pins out of his hair and the jewelry off his neck, fingers, ears and wrists. They’d instructed something easy to get out of, so he chose a long linen robe with minimal embroidery.

“I look like a monk.” he fussed, toying with the skin on his cheeks and chin. His scars were out for the world to see. Every scratch on his neck and cheeks. Every furrow. Chaceledon glared and threw his hand mirror on the bed. When he walked out to the sands, his chin was pointed up and his eyes closed, like he was presenting himself for mockery.

“You’re still beautiful.” Rheinhard reassured him. He was dressed as he always was. Simple shirt, simple trousers, not a scrap of jewelry in sight. The only exception being the knife roll around his leg.

“And you are a darling liar, Hardy.” Chaceledon pulled his hair over his shoulder and played with it nervously. “…Dear…you do know we’re leaving in a few days. Did you want to invite your… Aetes…to the wedding?”

Rheinhard looked at his feet. “I’ll consider it.”

The Temple
"I know," Seteta whispered softly, slotting her fingers through Chaceledon's. "But your scars do not make you less. You should learn to love who you are now, rather than missing who you were before without the scars. No one can change their past."

She smiled gently then, and bumped his arm with her shoulder. "I promise you won't be harmed. You will not be in danger of drowning for a single moment."

They reached the tent then, and while Rheinhard went to prepare himself and Chaceledon ducked into their room, Seteta lingered for a moment in the main room with Ausar.

"Are you coming with us to the temple?" Seteta asked, stepping over to wrap her arm around Ausar's waist and leaning her head on his shoulder.

"If you want me to," he answered, pressing a kiss to her brow.

"Would you?" she said softly. "I... assume you know what mut is going to tell us?"

Ausar hummed quietly in affirmation. He and Rehema had both done this, shortly before they were married.

"Then yes, I'd like you to come," Seteta said. "I'm not sure I'll ask all the right questions. You think more like I do, and you'll be able to point out things I miss."

"Then I will be there, bit,"
he answered, pulling her into a quick hug. "Now go tend to your lover."

"Yes, mit,"
Seteta said with a grin, then skipped away on light feet.

Chaceledon was just tossing the hand mirror on the bed when Seteta entered their room in the tent, muttering something about a monk. Amusement glimmered in her eyes, but she didn't say anything as she quickly stripped down and put on one of her long abayas, and combed out her hair. She was only a few paces behind Chaceledon as he rejoined Rheinhard.

"You should invite him," Seteta told Rheinhard with a smile, though her brow furrowed as she noted the knife roll at his thigh. "Although at this point I suspect there will be two weddings, if Hokkaido accepts me. Or..." her voice grew quiet, uncertain, "just an Inizae one."

Then she came and stood in front of Chaceledon, looking up at him with adoration in her eyes.

"You might look like a monk," she said with a teasing grin as she reached up to gently run her fingers through his hair before wrapping her hand around the side of his neck and tugging him down for a kiss, "but you're the most beautiful monk this desert has ever seen."

Then she sighed and turned back to Rheinhard.

"The knives have to stay," she said, firmly but gently, "Abtatu does not allow even livestock to be slaughtered near the temple. There will not be an exception made.

"But I can make sure they are safe, and secure, where no one will steal them or use them. Will you let me?"

“it’s my hope there will just be one wedding for both of us.” Chaceledon leaned over to kiss her hair. He was happy to bend down to share a kiss with her, wrapping his arms around her waist. He didn’t agree with her in the slightest; he felt unnatural without his claws, his face felt plain and his eyelashes were lighter without stain to make them stand out. He always thought that, combined with his light eye color, it looked off. He could spend hours picking over every feature and what he’d do to correct it.

Rheinhard unbuckled the knives and wrapped them up, his fingers squeezing around them. “The safety of these cannot be overstated.” He said quietly, and handed them to her. She held the bones of his mother. While the woman herself didn’t mean much to him, there was never a Volker without his weapon. Ever.

“Shall we?” Chaceledon nodded at the temple.

Seteta smiled. She hoped they could have one wedding as well, but there were Inizae traditions that she desperately wanted to be present, and whether the Chaceledon's family would cooperate with that... or if it would fit into the traditions of a draconian wedding... that was another matter entirely.

When Rheinhard handed her the knives she took them, cautious not to touch any of the bone, and nodded. "They will not come to any harm," she swore.

Then she stepped several paces away, and carefully set the bundle down on the sand. She pressed her palm to the sand once more, and a moment later the knives were encased in a box of solid sand that sunk below the surface until it was deeply buried. She tied the magic off, making sure to leave a beacon of it for her to find it again.

"If anything happens to me," she told Rheinhard when she returned to the two men, "my father or his mother will be able to find that and unearth it for you again."

Though... if anything happened to her, then Rheinhard likely wouldn't have any concerns about the future either.

“Shall we?” Chaceledon nodded at the temple.

Seteta nodded, and looked around for Ausar. She spotted him heading toward them from the tent, then, and smiled even as she gnawed at her lip. When he'd reached them, she stepped out in front to lead them to the temple, though she managed to nervously trip over a little hill of sand.

When they reached the temple, Seteta lingered outside for a moment. "I'm going to go put the others back to sleep," she told Rheinhard and Chaceledon. She stepped to the side into the shade outside the temple entrance, closing her eyes as she delved into the well. Huron, Brade, and Aron all went back to their pedestals without fuss, but Nestor took a little more convincing. Eventually she just snapped at him, and told him to get the fuck on the pedestal, she didn't have anymore time and he went. Petulantly.

As she emerged from the Well, she gave a frustrated sigh and reached up to rub the bridge of her nose.

"Calm your heart, bit,"
Ausar told her, reaching over to ruffle her hair.

Seteta nodded, and took a deep breath again, letting her shoulders drop.

She turned back to Rheinhard and Chaceledon. "Ready?" she said, then let Ausar lead them into the temple.

While there were large doors that could open up, exposing the inner part of the temple, Ausar led them through a smaller inset door. The temperature dropped quite drastically. The sound of a rushing stream could be heard a few paces away, and the space was only illuminated by a few braziers on each side of the water.

The sunlight streaming through the small door gave a brief glimpse of tall walls covered with carvings and paintings, but it vanished into indeterminable darkness as the door latched shut behind them.

Aetes and Rehema waited just inside, wearing deep blue robes with gold embroidery along the hem, cuffs, and collar. Ausar and Seteta reverently bowed their heads, motioning for Chaceledon and Rheinhard to do so also.

"This is what they wear in their official capacity when they represent Abtatu," Seteta said in hushed tones. "When you see them wearing it out among the tribe, do not treat them casually."

Rehema stepped forward then.

"Come and be cleansed," she spoke first to Ausar, and he stepped forward to be led to the water. The darkness would engulf them as they reached the water's edge.

"You do not have to disrobe," Aetes instructed Chaceledon and Rheinhard, "but if you would like dry garments on the other side, then it is recommended. "Chaceledon will go next, then Seteta, and then Rheinhard."

Seteta reached over and squeezed Chaceledon's hand. "I'll see you on the other side." Her voice was confident, though her heart thudded nervously in her chest.

Then Rehema returned, and Aetes led Chaceledon away. Rehema would lead Seteta to the water shortly after that, and then Aetes would return to bring Rheinhard. Ausar's robe was folded and neatly set at the side of the stream, and each one would have the choice to lay their robes beside his.

As each of them entered the water, they would experience the same things. At first.

The water was cold, and bit viciously at their ankles with its chill. But it didn't go more than skin deep. The deeper they waded into the water, the less it seemed like water and more like... a presence. The chill would diminish and warmth would suffuse them.

And a moment would come where the water rose higher and higher with each step, until it was lapping at their chins and they had to make the choice to either step forward and be submerged or to go back and leave the temple. If they persisted, with the water closing over their heads and the current tugging at their feet, the moment their lungs began to burn for air, everything around them would transform.

Instead of dark water, they would be surrounded by bright warmth, though it was impossible to say where they might be. There were no landmarks. No land. Simply... the warmth and the light.

Why have you come?

The question came from everywhere and nowhere. There was no audible sound, and yet the question seemed to ring through the air, through their very form and substance down to the very marrow of their bones.

As they each answered, the bright, warm presence would seem to suffuse them, examining not just their physical existence, but they very essence of who they were.

"To learn," Seteta spoke. "I have met the dragon that the shamaness spoke of the last time I was here. And I met... Persian de Soto. And an ancient Inizae named Amphetrion. He mistook me for someone he once knew. I want to know why."

There is more.
You are more than what you were the last time you were here.
You have something tied to your soul that should not exist.

"The Well," Seteta grimaced. "A spell created by a wraith used to entrap the souls of an entire family line. I took it to free the current victim at least partially from the wraith's control."

I see.
Would you have me end it?

"You... you can do that?"

Of course I can.
But it would not come without a cost.
The living one who is held captive by it... he has been held in the spell too long.
You are not entwined in it yet.

He would not be able to live without it anymore, though it would put all the souls trapped within the spell at rest.

It was tempting. Seteta could not deny that. But... she had told Rheinhard that she would treat him like a person. Not a possession.

"I cannot ask that of you," Seteta shook her head. "Not without asking him."

She thought Abtatu would be disappointed, and found herself blinking in surprise as a soft pride--as if a parent well pleased with a child--emanated from the light around her.

Then you are ready to hear what your mother will tell you today.

Nestor complained loudly, and would have argued more if she hadn’t commanded him. Either way, Rheinhard was grateful to enter the temple with his head silent. He didn’t have to be bid to bow; he followed Seteta and would have done it anyway. Chaceledon bowed at his waist; he was already shivering from the cold. He bunched his robes around his body reflexively, but he could already feel sleepy. The longer they stayed here the more dangerous it would become.

Chaceledon watched Ausar, but darkness folded around the man and he couldn’t see what was happening. He reached out to squeeze Rheinhard’s hand. He would need dry clothes on the other side; wet clothes would sap the rest of the heat out of him. Gods, if he fell asleep under the water…

“Damn tradition. I will pull you out.” Rheinhard leaned in to whisper in his ear. Chaceledon felt a little more quieted. He followed Aetes into the black, and quietly folded his robes up. He rubbed at his arms as the chill bit at his skin. He stepped forward into the water and felt the cold, like daggers, ripping through his skin. He shuddered and stubbornly walked forward, submerging his ankles, thighs, crawling up his hips and chest. He sucked in air reflexively as it hit his lungs. The cold. He felt dizzy and sleepy, and the cold beckoned him to shut his eyes and rest. The water closed over his head.

Why have you come?

To learn from you, about the woman I wish to marry.

Rheinhard didnt disrobe. He wasn’t uncomfortable in the cold. He had spent many a long winter in the forests living only by campfire. He looked at Aetes briefly, then stepped into the water. He walked slowly and with purpose, filling his lungs with deep, heavy breaths. He was stretching his lungs to hold his breath longer, and filled them deeply right before he let the water close over his head.

He tried to remain calm, and hoped that Chaceledon was dealing better with the water. The dragon would be half frozen when he got out.

Why have you come?

My mistress believes I should.
His answer was guarded. He didn’t trust gods any more than he did the Fae.

It is not cold here. Relax.
What is it you wish to learn?

Chaceledon would feel Abtatu's warm presence brushing over the scars across his body. His face. Gently brushing against his fingers.

If you could have one of these wounds healed, which would it be?
Tell me how it was inflicted.
What that moment made you believe about yourself.

Abtatu chuckled, the mirth making the bright warmth around Rheinhard bubble.

It was not Seteta who asked if you could enter the temple. It was Chaceledon.

Abtatu hesitated for a moment, then, and Rheinhard might feel a glimmer of the god's presence whispering over his opalized sternum, and peering into his mind, though not to read his thoughts.

Seteta would not ask for the Well to be removed. Would you?