Private Tales No matter how the wind howls, the mountain cannot bow to it

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Raphael's wings splayed out behind him as he rested his back against the wall. He watched the door as he ran a hand through his hair and tried to shake the rest of the sleep from his mind. Outside the horn blared again which acted as a great distraction. With a grunt of effort he got to his feet and padded on bare feet to the window. The shadows cleared immediately letting in the sun once more. He raised a hand to shield his eyes and peered out at the marching troops as they walked past.

Fraeya was going to be thrilled to know Izak was in town.

• Cthulhoo rage
Reactions: Fraeya
After she did her business, she looked at the closed door to their room and headed in the opposite direction. Wooly-sock feet took her down the stairs back to the tavern below. It wasn't as jam-packed as the night before but it was still fairly busy. By the sounds of bugles and who was hanging around, she could mostly tell the troops were busy running drills or out watching the borders.

Emerie was busy at work but offered Fraeya a smile as she saw the girl come down the stairs.

"Sleep okay?"

Fraeya had to wonder if the poor female ever slept herself.

"Best sleep I've had in months," Fraeya admitted quietly. "Can I get some breakfast to bring up for Raph-Raphael and I?" There was a look that briefly crossed Emerie's face that Fraeya couldn't place.

"Sure, sit tight and Cinders will be back with it in a bit." Fraeya found a chair close to the stairs and took a seat. The bugle sounded again and Fraeya's pointed ears winced at the sound. Louder this time followed by loud voices on the other side of the Tavern/Inn's door.

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Raphael
Raphael found himself lingering by the window to watch the troops. Two centuries ago and he would have been one of those men, stood shoulder to shoulder with Sid and others from their tribe, listening to an asshole order them about and getting a hard on because of the power they had. He wondered how many in that group harboured thoughts of rebellion as he had, as Sid had, as Lorcan had.

The captain issued some order and the squad dispersed in groups, no doubt sent off to find goods and equipment for the forward march. They were most likely heading to the front line, this would be their last stop in friendly territory. When a few of the puca made for the door of the inn, Raphael finally moved to get dressed. The last thing he wanted was Fraeya alone with some jumped up soldiers on a power high.

• Ctuhlu senpai
“….AND then I taught that bastard a lesson. You don’t look on someone higher ranking like that.”

There were claps on shoulders and harsh laughter as three entered the Inn. Fraeya smelled him before she saw him. Izak.

His dark eyes crossed over her at first. Unseeing then refocused. A lazy, wicked smile curved in his cruel mouth. He hit the attention of the other two with him. Fae with swaths of light hair like her own but eyes as dark as Izak’s.

Fraeya’s hand went for a knife that wasn’t there. Her weapons. Her gear and jacket were upstairs.

“Look what the bandersnatch dragged in. Hello little dog.”

“Izak,” Fraeya said calmly. Even as she tried to keep fear from her face and tone as the three males stalked toward her. His eyes roamed freely over her body.

“You know, we never did see what you could do. My friends and I have a bet going.”

• Cthulhoo rage
Izak took another step then stopped, a blade suddenly appearing at his throat.

"I hope that bet is how quickly it would take her to tear you to shreds. It's the only one worth placing money on," Raphael's voice was the deathly calm of the eye of a hurricane. Emerie who had just reappeared in the kitchen doorway wisely shooed the few maids working at this time in the morning. Other patrons conversations died down to a hush then stopped completely.

Everyone wanted to see what Izak would do.

Briefly, Raphael's eyes flickered to Fraeya. A silent question; was she hurt? And an apology for the next words he spoke to act the part.

"You should leave before I let her off her leash."

• Ctuhlu senpai
Izak's smug grin faltered for just a moment as Raphael appeared as swiftly and deadly as he was known for. The other two with Izak stalled in their approach, sizing up Truth-Seeker and Fraeya. Hands rested a little too casually near the hilts of their swords and daggers. Fae couldn't lie and Fraeya was surprised in the former words Raphael said.

Izak looked at the knife like it was a minor inconvenience and went to shove Raphael's hand away.

"Oh no, I think you should let her off her leash," Izak rolled his shoulders, letting his eyes travel lazily back to Fraeya. "My men and I have come a long way and we're eager to get some...entertainment." The last word was purred in such a way that Fraeya stood, fists clenching at her sides. Eyes darted to Raphael.

"Maybe we have a little friendly match between me and one of mine," Izak looked between the two blond males at his side. "And you and her unless you don't think you can manage it?"

Fraeya's face paled. Not so much for her sake. For what Raphael would do to them if all this went down.

• Cthulu Knife
Raphael sheathed his blade and came to stand beside Freaya, an almost bored expression on his handsome face. His wings itched to protectively curl her into him but he resisted, teeth grinding with the strain.

"I believe minor soldiers like yourself have to get sign off from a superior to enter into duels," he drawled, eyes pointedly going to his shoulder where the stripes would be if he was of such a rank. The smile he gave Izak's reddening face was darkly twisted. "When you have your little note of approval, we'll be waiting."

• Ctuhlu senpai
There was something calming about being in the shadow of Raphael's wings. Izak stepped forward but it was his blond companion who put an arm across the other male's broad chest. "This isn't fuking over." Izak snarled at them both. Fraeya's nostrils flared, the nails of her palm lightly biting into her own skin as she clenched them harder wanting nothing more than to take the bone dagger, that was blessedly in their room, and twist it through Izak's bowels.

"Let's go," the third male put a hand on Izak's shoulder who he quickly shook off but listened to his advice. Not before letting his eyes roam slowly over Fraeya before turning around and retreating back out the Inn door.

It wasn't until the door closed again that Fraeya's shoulders relaxed, a breath leaving her lungs.

"Now I actually feel some sympathy for Sid having to deal with a lot of males like that in our Army." And for a moment, she found herself lingering by Raphael's side.

• Cthulhoo rage
Raphael could barely hear Fraeya over the roaring in his ears. It had not been the threat of potential violence with Izak. A part of the Shadowsinger had been wishing for it just to take the other male down a peg or two in front of his entire squadron. No, it had been the look he had given Fraeya before leaving. It was a look he had seen on countless male puca's faces when they saw a female they deemed as theirs. Claimed.

Raphael's grip tightened on the blades at his hips and he considered, momentarily, going out and cutting the males head off for sheer - what did Lorcan say? - yes, shits and giggles.

"At least Sid gets to punch them in the face when he feels like it," Raphael muttered, forcing himself to breathe and release his hold on his blades. "He can claim it's discipline."

• Ctuhlu senpai
She recognized that look in Raphael's eyes. That intent. She swallowed. Then a glance up the winding wooden stairs.

"I'm going to go change. Get my gear. I got breakfast for you - for us. It should be out soon."

She didn't like that it wasn't safe enough to come down to order breakfast on her own. But a larger part of her took that as business as usual. Not so different than her life growing up in Autumn. Even if being with Delun had blunted the sharp edge of the constant danger.

Light spring green eyes went back to the Shadowslinger's face.

Not so long ago she would've argued that she could've taken care of herself. That she hadn't needed any help from any fae. But now?

Her voice lowered. "Thanks for being here. All of it. When I needed someone the most." Taking another steadying breath, she'd turn to head back to their room.