Private Tales Light At the End of the Tunnel

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Ciana squinted at him through the rain and nodded, her heart shuddering in her chest as the new energy coursed through her. There was already too much, and this sort of energy would burn her out in minutes if she didn't focus and figure out how to expel it. She mightn't even survive another bolt of it.

She held her hands out, her chest rising and falling quickly with each breath and her crystalline eyes darted between her palms, willing something, anything to happen. Her fingers flexed, and her palms glowed with a faint flicker. Her body was growing weaker by the second and she clenched her teeth, glancing up at the sky in fear.

"Maric...." she called out, her voice quaking as she watched the sky. Her pulse quickened, and she could feel the strike before it happened. Her hands shot up to protect herself and she dropped to her knees into the mud just as the bolt came straight down at her, like she had drawn it on purpose. She screamed, expecting to feel pain, or death, whatever that felt like..

When her eyes opened again, there was only blinding light. Perhaps she had died.. But she could feel the wet ground under her and the droplets of rain running in rivulets down her face. No rain fell on her now, though, and her brow furrowed in confusion as she blinked herself back to reality. The lightening had struck, and the light she held had formed a shield of pure white light, absorbing the shock and energy. She could see through it, only barely, the rain now splashing against it like a window.

Inside it, she could only hear her own breaths and pounding heartbeat. It was so quiet and calm. Safe. Nothing could touch her in here.. Not even the rain.

Her gaze settled on Maric, and her smile finally broke through the fear. Letting her hands fall to the ground, the globe of light fell and she pushed herself up, back into the storm to run to him, laughing.

"Did you see?!!"

• Popcorn
Reactions: Maric
Maric blinked rapidly even as the rain continued to cascade down upon him.

The lightning that had lanced against Ciana's shield had sparked over the ground, blinding the Professor and the driver who had taken refuge under a ledge. Maric smiled as he heard his student shout through the sound of the storm. "I did!"

He called back. "Sort of."

A few more blinks, and he finally managed to clear his vision enough that peering through the storm actually became an option. A wide smile touched his face as he peered at Ciana.

Though the lightning had struck in the blink of an eye, Maric had managed to see the shield Ciana had formed just before it struck. The light had been bent and shifted, protecting her from the storm. It was an impressive leap, especially considering she had only managed to destroy and not protect.

"A tremendous leap forward!" He said with a wide smirk, and not the least bit lucky too. "Well done."

She was so overcome with excitement that she'd been about to reach out to him, whether she'd been about to take his hands or throw hers around him she wasn't sure, but she was suddenly and thankfully reminded of how scalding her skin had been and she stopped abruptly. She stared down at her palms as they caught lashings of raindrops, the smile on her face fading as she saw the steam rising from her skin and she took a step back from the professor, curling her fingers into fists.

She really was dangerous, and it bothered her greatly. She had already hurt him without meaning to. She forced a smile and nodded, pulling her arms around her ribs. "Perhaps, we should get back inside!" she said loudly, still having to raise her voice to him over the roaring rain.

• Popcorn
For a few seconds he let the joy wash over him, let it almost overcome him. There was something divinely and innocently mirthful about it. The same sort of accomplishment he had once felt when making strides within his own magics.

He glanced up towards the sky. "Perhaps we should!"

Maric called in agreement.

Without a second more delay he motioned for Ciana to follow him. Quickly the two of them headed towards the stone outcropping the driver had manage to find within his haste. It was not long before only the most violent winds swept into the grasp of the small cavern.

The Driver, helpful as ever, had prepared a fire. The horses were tied though seemed more than a little ill-at ease due to the storm.

"Well done." Maric complement Ciana as he ushered her towards the fire.

Her skirts were heavy and so she trudged and sloshed her way into the cave, water rushing from her and leaving a river of rain in her wake. Her golden hair was stuck fast to her pale face, now glistening in the firelight. She could feel the energy of the small fire, but now it felt warm and welcoming, rather than something to keep away from. Her gaze settled on it for a moment before Maric spoke and she smiled brightly at him.

"It wouldn't have happened without you." she counter-praised and looked down at herself with a blush at the absurdity of what she must look like right now. She shuffled to the fire and sat on the ground - another action quite unbecoming of a lady, as was the wringing out of her skirts. They'd take days to dry as it was.

"My heart is still racing.." she chuckled, and gasped to herself, her hand resting over her forehead.

"Lightening.. Oh my. I thought for certain I.." she stopped herself, realising how close she truly had come to death, and yet there was still too much adrenaline for her to feel perturbed by it, at least for now.

"After the first I.. It was like my body took all of that power in and.. It was just so much and I.." her head shook. It was killing her, far faster than the sunlight had been. "But then I, I suppose I used it to shield myself with and. Well Professor I.. I feel better than I have felt in a very long time.." she beamed.

• Popcorn
Maric listened carefully to every word Ciana said. It was almost as important as what he had seen. The more he knew, the more the both of them knew the better. With greater knowledge came greater understanding, and guiding her town the correct path would become easier.

"Excellent." He declared with a wide smile. "I had a notion...but to have it confirmed is another thing all together."

The Professor said, quite pleased with himself as well as Ciana.

He had thought he was right, but to be proven correct launched him practically over the moons. A long breath dragged into himself, and instantly he began to flicker through a thousand different things in his head. New tests, circumstances Ciana could use her magic, a dozen other things.

They had taken a long stride tonight.

"This is only the beginning. Learning to shape your magic, repeating what was done tonight. That is the next step." He told her softly, though quickly shook his head as though he were correcting himself. "But, enough for tonight."

He said with a wave of his hand, stepping over towards the carriage and towards his back. He fiddled with one of the satchels, pulling out what appeared to be a small package wrapped in wax paper.

"We must celebrate!" Maric declared.

• Wonder
Reactions: Ciana
It was certainly nice to feel well, and to feel excitement and hope rather than fear. She really wasn't ill, all she had to do was use the power that her body was harnessing, and he could teach her how to do that. She had protected herself with it, it didn't need to harm people. Perhaps, she could even help people. She didn't have to be a monster, and she didn't have to die.

She was quite literally beaming at him, her skin soaking in the fire's light, but she barely felt it at all. It was warm and pleasant, and what she failed to notice was how quickly she was drying off.

"Celebrate?" she asked with a curious chuckle, tilting her chin to try and see what he had. "My magic?.." she asked with a quiet sigh. "I really am far from home.." she smiled.

• Popcorn
As he walked the Professor slowly began to unwrap the small package in his hands. Piece by piece the waxy paper fell to the side, leaving only a small portion by which he held what appeared to be a small simply baked cake. "It's important to acknowledge the good progress."

Maric said with a smile.

"During training like this it's common to wallow in the misery of failure and stagnation. It's good to mark something like this." It was, he had found, an important part of learning for many students. Never allowing themselves to revel in success pushed many to breaking.

He didn't want Ciana to break.

He wanted her to feel as though she had accomplished something. "Unfortuantely all I have is this."

Maric said as he seated himself before his young student. "But it will have to do."

He said as he gently broke off a piece of the cake and handed it to her.

"You'll quickly find that things are...very different away from your home." Maric said softly, still not entirely sure how to explain just how backwards her home was compared to many places. Vinra and Rhagos were hardly the only cities where the repression and reviling of magic was common practice, but they were certainly in the minority.

"Magic like yours is to be cherished." He told her. "Even if not fully understood."

Honestly, she didn't need cake to feel accomplished. He had no idea just how much she appreciated the praise and reassurance that he gave her. To simply feel like there was nothing wrong with her, and that she was not sick or cursed, that she was gifted? That her magic should be cherished? That was a lifetime's worth of cake.

That said, it would be impolite to turn down such an offer, and so she chuckled a quiet 'thank you' as he held out a piece, and took it gratefully. Her smile was warm as a deep sigh tumbled from her, one that felt as though it'd been lodged in her chest for years.

"I am so very glad you found me, Professor." she told him and nibbled elegantly on the cake, her lips curling in approval of sweetness. She did wish he had found her sooner, or that he'd found her mother instead and that they hadn't had to suffer in their society, but it was a foolish thing to dwell on the past, and instead she'd be grateful for the present and optimistic about the future.

"Some day I will find some way to repay your kindness."

• Bless
"As am I." Maric said.

It was an odd sort of feeling. Early on in his life he had been almost entirely driven by acclaim. He had sought nothing more than fame and praise from anyone and everyone. Maric had wanted his achievements lauded the world over.

Yet as he had grown and come to understand more, that fascination of the self had faded and was replaced with an obsession for the work itself. Always he had wanted to know more, to understand, to delve deeper and deeper. That had lead him down a road of numbness, a quiet dark corner that had ended with his magic lost and his research set behind by decades.

It was only from that darkness that he had begun to understand what he had really needed. That neither fame, nor knowledge would bring him any sort of lasting legacy.

The truth, now sat entirely before him.

Ciana, the knowledge that he could impart on her, the life that he could help build a foundation for. That was what marked a true spark of genuine joy within his heart. "You already have."

He said, a smile splitting his lips.

• Cthuulove
Ciana mirrored his smile and gave a quiet laugh at his answer, her head shaking slowly in marvel as she looked back at him.

"You are so wonderfully kind." she told him, her eyes narrowing warmly. She noticed the light dim then, and realised that the little fire was dwindling but not that it'd been she who'd been soaking in the energy from it. She looked down at it and glanced back at him, her brow arching with curiosity as she straightened up a little and held her hand toward it.

For a moment, nothing happened, and she wasn't entirely sure how to will anything to happen at all. And so she thought of warmth, and asked aloud that the fire grow and warm them...

"Please." she added, remembering her manners. When nothing more happened she blushed and chuckled sheepishly.. "Well. It seems that I can't in fact, talk to the fire." she mused with a shrug.

"It took me many years to get here." Maric admitted.

He had not always been the man that she knew now. There had been a time in his life when he had been ruthless, ambitious, perhaps even a touch cruel. With time and experience he had become better. He knew himself now.

Knew what he had to do. "I-"

Maric was about to add something else when suddenly Ciana righted herself. He observed quietly as she shifted, leaning towards the flame with an extended palm. He smiled for a moment, and then broke out into a quiet chuckle.

"No." He said. "No, but I didn't think you could."

His head shook. "I doubt your magic is a verbal one."

The Professor offered helpfully, a small chuckle still clinging to his tone.

• Haha
Her cheeks burned a furious pink but she let out a bright laugh and covered her mouth to stifle it, her shoulders shaking with the chuckle. The last time she had something to laugh this much about was a distant memory, and she found it a little difficult to stop..

"Oh well.. It was worth a try.." she grinned and dabbed at the corners of her eyes with one last chuckle.

"The cake is quite lovely.." she cleared her throat with a smile. "It would have gone so well with a pot of tea." she added, her smile curling into a smirk and looked around the little cave they'd found themselves in. Another flash of lightening lit the cavern and drew her attention back outside to the still raging storm.

"It looks like this is home for the night.. I can't say I've ever slept on a cave floor before. It is quite the adventure." she chuckled.

• Bless
The Professor smiled slightly, trying to remember the first time that he had left the comfort of his own home. Unlike Ciana he had not been born a noble, nor even into wealth, but his parents had been loving and the home they'd made for him had been filled with comfort.

"An adventure." Maric mused. "Yes, I think that's the best way to look at all of this."

He smiled. "It will be some time before we reach Althhaven, and there may be more nights like this."

Maric admitted.

He had told her from the start that this journey would not be an easy one. They would face more than a few problems along he way, that much he was certain of. Yet he knew that he would keep his promise. She would reach Althhaven, and she would learn to control her magic.

"Caves aren't so bad." He jested. "At least they're dry."

Maric chuckled. "Perhaps I can take the time to teach you some college magic."

Ciana nodded firmly, her smile still warm. "Quite."

"Goodness. I can only imagine Elspeth's face if she knew." she grinned, looking down at her damp skirts and the dirt floor. "It's unbecoming of a Lady, Ciana." she mimicked her step mother's voice perfectly with a purse of her lips and then chuckled with a shake of her head.

If anything, Ciana was rather excited about the prospect of sleeping in caves and forests, rather than appearing in any way revolted by it. It felt nice to be free enough to stand in the rain and muddy her boots, and she would enjoy such things whilst she could. She had always been quite jealous of the servant's children being allowed to climb in trees and such things.. Perhaps she might try that on her adventures too.

"Ohh.. Yes please." she smiled as she rubbed her hands together over the fire to warm them, but found the flames start to shrink and so quickly took her hands away with a sheepish chuckle.

Last edited:
  • Bless
Maric smiled. "Perhaps one day you will be able to return and show just how unLadylike you have become in your absence."

The Professor mused, though knew such a thing would take time.

Ciana had to learn more control first, and her home...well, her home would have to change. The city was not quite as bad as it's neighbors, but a visit such as that might still come with some consequence. If she was not careful at least.

Maric smiled at Ciana as she pulled away from the fire, giving a slight thought for a moment before he began to search around where he was sitting.

"Excellent." The Professor declared as he picked up a small pointed rock. "Your propensity for learning will be your greatest gift, Ciana. Even greater than your magic."

Maric said as he began to draw symbols in a circle around the fire. "Natural talent is all well and good, but even the most powerful will falter if they refuse to pick up new things."

Briefly he looked up at her. "Keep an avid mind, and you will go very far."

Just as he had hoped.

• Bless
Ciana chuckled quietly, but the smile she wore was a weak one. She had already begun to accept that she would likely never return home, but she hoped at least that wouldn't mean never seeing her father again. She had put such things to the back of her mind for now, and settled her attention instead on the here and now, and what she could learn whilst she was in the fortunate position of having the Professor's sole attention.

Wonderment sparkled in her gaze as she watched with avid curiosity as he drew strange symbols in the dirt, and she gave a nod and a warm smile to the advice he offered. "I will." she agreed. And she would. Ciana had always wanted to learn far more than she was permitted to, and so she turned to books to teach her what men would not, but there was never enough.

"What do these mean?" she asked as she peered over the symbols..

• Bless
The Professor smiled warmly at Ciana. He wondered briefly when the last time was that he'd had such a devoted student. Not someone who was just eager to learn for the sake of power or prestige, but simply to hold the knowledge itself.

Perhaps the Anirian, a few years ago, but even then fear had driven her more than anything. It was not so with Ciana, and he was more than glad for it. Maric could see Ciana was scared still, but it was no why she was here. Why she wanted to learn.

Her curiosity drove her, and for him it was the greatest mark of character he could have asked for.

"They are Rune Magic, of a sort." The Professor explained.

"College Magic is the simple expression of the arcane. A spell is spoken or written, and a price is paid." He continued. "These runes are a spell, and in this case..."

As he finished speaking the last rune was drawn. There was a sudden flicker, an odd sort of orb around the fire, and then it disappeared. "One of protection."

Maric said with a smile. "Try getting closer to the fire now."

He told Ciana, and this time when she did the flame would not wave or shift. They would not be drawn into her. Instead the runes on the ground would begin to fade, the fire protected until they were gone entirely.

"Ohh.." she smiled as she shifted forward, watching as the magic took effect. Doing as he told her, she held out her hands over the flame and felt nothing but the pleasant warmth of it. Her expression was sheer delight as she looked at him and back at the fire, rubbing her hands together and soaking in the heat..

"I like this spell.." she laughed under her breath, realising how long it had been since she had been able to enjoy such a thing as a warm fire. She drew back as the runes began to fade, and insisted that he write down the runes so that she might commit them to memory. It would certainly come in handy..

"And what if I painted those runes on me?" she mused with a twist of her lips. "Would I be protected?"

• Aww
"Yes and no." Maric said as he shook his head, deciding to immediately explain, not wanting Ciana to get any ideas.

"As I said, all magic has a price." He went on "With Rune Magic that price is paid in three ways. The rune itself, what it is written with, and what it is written on."

Maric gestured to the sand where the Runes were already slowly beginning to fade. "These runes are simple, so they 'give' very little. Similarly, they were but drawn with a stick. Thus most of the energy comes from the sand itself."

"Which means they will fade relatively quickly."
He gestured to the sand where the runes continued to slip away. "So, if you drew the runes on yourself in something simple like ink..."

Maric smiled, leaving the rest unsaid. "However, if you did so in Dragon's Blood or Basilisk Venom..."

He shrugged. "Rune Magic is a balancing act."

"Ah-ha.." she nodded, her brow furrowed as she tried to understand. "It does seem, very complex.. But I didn't expect it to be otherwise." she shrugged.

"So, the cost to me is, my energy.. Or, I suppose, my life? So I must balance what I take in and what I use.. If I store too much, I'll die, and if I use too much.." she left the rest unsaid, her lips twisting. It was a frightening thing to consider, but if Ciana was unnerved by it, it didn't show. She felt far safer now than she had done in months, and in those months she had well prepared herself for death.

Now, she had a second chance, and she was going to learn how to survive, and live.

"Now..
If you could kindly explain the runes for a nice pot of tea and some cake, I think I can rest happy tonight.." she smiled.

• Haha
Maric tipped his head in a nod. She had grasped the concept rather quickly. Her magic was unique, there was no doubt in that. Her entire life would become a careful balance. Always watching how much she took and how much she used.

It had always been so, in a strange way, but at least now she knew. Though learning to control it would be the real challenge.

A slight chuckle escaped at her jest. "I'm afraid I have not developed that particular rune."

He had tried it before, of course. Conjuring things from simple written runes and a bit of magical faff would have been utterly delightful. He was sure that someone was capable of doing it, but Maric had never been able to crack it.

"We'll have to stick with the warmth of a fire, and some rations packed for the road." The Professor chuckled. "As harrowing as that might be."

"Well. It shall be my life's mission, and perhaps one day, I might teach you that particular rune." she smiled. "One should never be without tea for long, professor. Nor cake." she nodded.

"But we shall make do. It is an adventure, after all.."

The atmosphere remained pleasant as they chatted well into the evening, and he never seemed to mind her questions, no matter how many she asked, but after a time she yawned against her wrist, her hair now dry waves and her clothes no longer damp with rain.

"I fear I'm taking advantage of your wisdom, I should let you rest, and do so myself." she smiled..

• Bless
A nod tipped his head. "Yes, Indeed I think it might be for the best."

It seemed now that the worst of the storm had passed them by, and Maric had managed to redraw the runes several times so that the fire kept them warm. He smiled and gestured towards the carriage.

"You sleep in there." It made the most sense, affording Ciana a modicum of comfort and privacy. "We'll get going early in the morning."

Maric told her. "There should be a village not too far from here, and beyond that a city."

"Selucia, it's called."
A place of luxury and finery. From there they would take a river boat, allowing them to skip a large chunk of their journey if they would have gone by land.

"Selucia...." she smiled.. "Oh, I like that... Selucia. Seluuuciaa." she chuckled. "It sounds wonderful." she concluded with a nod.

"Very well.. Thank you for sharing more of your wisdom, and for permitting me to play out in the rain." she smiled, her eyes glinting with amusement as she stood. "It's been quite lovely."

"I hope you sleep well, Professor." she sighed, and sashayed off toward the carriage, whispering to herself..

"Selucia... Sellluciaa.."

Morning came quickly, and after they had shared some rations and set off on the road, she found herself fantasising about a nice pot of tea once more.. Selucia sounded like the sort of place that would have some nice tea. Warm water too. She smiled brightly to herself at the thought as she peered out of the window.

• Popcorn