Private Tales Forging of Bonds

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Tharu San'Seya

Destined Son
Character Biography
Link
For the first time since he'd accepted the title of Ambassador, Tharu San'Seya didn't feel as though he was being sent into a hopeless situation as the brilliant white mare carried him across the vast, wide Ixchel expanse. Every other court that he sought to visit accepted him merely because of his title; they saw him as little more than a child who could not be trusted with any level of information. Tharu supposed he couldn't blame them too harshly-- he wasn't exactly experienced. But then, that wasn't his fault.

It mattered not. Those he traveled to today would not shun him, for they were the court of what was likely the only true friend he'd ever met in Vulpesen. He'd heard much about the Vitae from the warlock, who spoke of it as a place not too unlike the Spring.

So too had the Brothers themselves, whom he'd met briefly during his Father's coronation as King of The Spring Court. Tharu had found them all downright pleasant compared to most of the other courts that had attended, so he had hope that this latest attempt at outreach would be successful.

The only troublesome part would be finding the Vitae's Hidden Estate. The Spring Prince knew that it lie somewhere within the Ixchel Wilds, but the exact location wasn't common knowledge. Nairth had sent a message ahead of Tharu's arrival to expect delegation, so now The young San'Seya could only ride about the Wilds and hope that the Brothers would lead him to them.

So far, he was having no such luck, the loud impact of his horse's hooves against the soft ground was the only sound he could hear, even with ears taught and listening for the sounds of life under the glum and cloudy day that brought the air heavy on his shoulders.

Of course, it would be gloomy when he finally got a chance to run free. It wasn't as though he cherished these moments of travel from Grovehaven or anything. Sometimes whatever beings controlled the weather truly seemed to despise him.

"They have to be somewhere close... Next time I see Vulpesen, I must ask him for a map."

A steady clopping would herald the arrival of Tharu's navigational salvation. A white horse, upon which sat a golden-haired rider in an unblemished diplomat's suit. "Or you could ask one of us who actually live here," Rerreno offered, a polite smile laying upon his lips. "You did well to get this far Mr. Tharu. Now if you'd follow me, I'd be happy to get you there the rest of the way." Ordinarily, the lord of diplomacy wouldn't have offered such a personal welcome, but there were a few changes to the situation. The chief among those being his secretive brother's reports. Varos as always, was meticulous in following the paths of others within the diplomatic spheres and was well appraised of Tharu's troubles. They'd agreed that it was time the Spring court's ambassador caught a break. "A pleasure to see you again. It's been some time since we met at the coronation."

Tharu's friendship with Vulpesen might have made for a better connection to Varos, but the brothers all had their role to play. While Varos and Wulren would be around for any sort of dealings with another court, it was Rerreno who spoke with the voice of the Vitae and handled all the formalities when it came to friendships. As a general rule, one did not want to speak with Wulren in an official capacity, and Varos served only as the court's ears when it came to foreign policy.

Tharu San'Seya

• Popcorn
Reactions: Keenai
Tharu hadn't the slightest idea where Rerreno had emerged from, but he was certainly happy to see the Vitae. "Sir Rerreno!" He pulled back on the reins of his mount, redirecting to follow the bright-haired diplomat as he led The Prince to their home. "The King told me I was to be expected, but I wasn't entirely sure where we'd be meeting," Tharu called in apology. As fragile as things were between some of the courts right now, the secrecy and caution was completely warranted. That same fragility was also why it was so vital that they come to an arrangement for Spring and Vitae to act as close-knit allies in the face of inevitable conflict looming overhead. "Indeed it has. Nairth sends his regards, by the way. He wanted to do this himself, but he had urgent business with the Autumn."

Tharu was only vaguely familiar with the structure of the brother's duties, but Nairth had told him Rerreno was likely the one he'd be speaking with. He had met the other two, Varos and Wulren, at his Father's coronation, but that meeting had been brief, with all the commotion that had coincided with that event. Keeping close to the Vitae so as not to so easily lose his direction again, Tharu continued. "I do hope I find you well. I know many of us are facing conflict right now, and the landscape of our land is ever-changing." Part of his job here today was to inform the Vitae of the Shadow, but that could wait. There was a minute chance somebody could hear them now, and even such a small possibility was far too large for information so sensitive.

Rerreno

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
"We are very well," Rerreno responded as he rode deeper into the woods, guiding Thau the home of the vitae court. "Change is good. It's the reason we've returned, and therefore, the reason you are here. As for conflict," a sly grin formed on Rerreno's face, an expression that might have more suited his dark-haired brother, "Don't let my title fool you, our code is three words and none of them are peace."

Rerreno was the lord of diplomacy, but diplomacy wasn't always forging friendships and the like. Often, it was deciding the terms of surrender and declaring war. Still, there was something in Tharu's tone that made the lord of diplomacy believe that the spring court's 'conflict' wasn't some nebulous unnamed thread. "And I hope things go well between your lord and the Autumn court. Thankfully, they've proven to be quite reasonable in the past." Considering that the Vitae resided on what might be considered Autumn land, the statement held a fair amount of weight as the court's creation hadn't caused a civil war.

Tharu San'Seya

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
(Definitely said Dusk on accident. I meant Autumn.)

Tharu wished he could say neither Change nor Conflict was fast approaching them, but it wasn't so. This was far from a social call, and the circumstances of his trip deep into the Vitae's land with Rerreno wasn't an entirely peaceful one. "Well, it's good you aren't averse to a fight, because we may soon have one on our hands. There's something looming on the horizon, and the waves it creates could shake even the Vitae. "

There was a second threat as well, but the more pressing matter was why he'd been sent here. Even so, it would behoove him not to explain things thoroughly, given what he was to ask of the brothers. "I should hope that my Father and the Erlking can put aside their differences. We seek an alliance, and wish for the Brothers Vitae to be a part of this union." Tharu wasn't sure how much to divulge before he had the audience of all three brothers. Ears were everywhere, as they say.

• Popcorn
proxy.php

Rerreno's brow raised as he listened to the vague beginnings of a proposal. It didn't take a genius to figure out what was coming, and the lord of diplomacy heaved a small sigh. "I've a feeling this isn't a meeting that I can handle alone. Looks like you'll get to see my brothers after all."

Such a meeting wouldn't be long in the making as before them, the estate that served as the main base of operations for the Vitae Court. Through the trip, a fair amount of small homes could be seen, the beginnings of a rebuilding faction. Most of the Vitae continued to live scattered through the Wilds, and even out in the greater world. But some had answered the call and come home. While it wasn't obvious, the brothers' court would not be without an army.

"I'd suggest you cover your ears." His head tilted back and his jaw dropped before unleashing a loud howl which filled the air with a rich tenor. In seconds it was returned by a piercing high tone and a rich baritone, the former of which came from somewhere within the main structure and the latter from somewhere behind it. "They'll be meeting us inside," Rerreno said as he finished his correspondence and turned his horse to a nearby stable.

Tharu San'Seya

• Bless
Reactions: Tharu San'Seya
Doing as he'd suggested, Tharu lifted his hands from the reins of his horse to shield his ears for a moment. Even through his palms, he could hear the piercing howl that reverberated off of every surface, even those that seemed as though they weren't even there.

Ever since he'd arrived in the Vitae lands, he'd gotten a distinct impression that they were a court of cloaks and daggers. Until Rerreno had diverted them down a specific route and given the call, he'd seen no trace of any civilization to speak of. The manner in which they all seemed to come from nowhere at the drop of a hat was impressive, not to mention encouraging.

"I wish the news I was bringing them was better. Still, I'll feel more comfortable getting into details when we're somewhere more private."

The estate ahead of them wasn't as grandiose as Grovehaven, but it was still a suitable centerpiece. Enough so that even as the two of them approached the structure and dismounted their horses, Tharu found himself walking with his back straighter and his posture square, as he did in any meetings in the most extravagant of foreign lands.

Rerreno

Despite Tharu's apparent concern, Rerreno's lips were curling into a chesire grin. Behind him, a golden tail lifted from his cloak, flicking back and forth. "We'll speak in the war room," the lord of diplomacy stated as they headed towards the main structure where the doors were opened for them. "My brothers will meet us there. Though, you needn't worry on our account. Since we've reactivated, our old retainers have been moving slowly as if weighed down by the burden of apathy. They have no goal, nothing to drive them back to our lands to fill our homes and barracks Perhaps this will be the purpose they need. The Vitae exists for change. And nothing brings change faster than a war."

Travelling up a flight of stairs and into a side room, Rerreno opened the door to a relatively simple room. Surrounding the walls was a variety of weapons and maps. In its center, single table flanked by the lords of secrets and war. Upon seeing Tharu at Rerreno's side, the brothers smiled brightly and offered a nod of welcome. "Good to see you Tharu. I trust you've been well," Varos purred in his quiet whispering voice.

"Reno knows I hate politics. If we're all here, that must mean you're planning a party." Wulren's eyes were bright and his smile's exuberance matched the silver tail that swished through the air at an almost audible speed.

Tharu San'Seya

The war room... certainly an apropos choice of setting for the conversation that was to be held. Tharu would have preferred not to involve him self in such a business so soon after regaining his own autonomy, but pressure from two fronts and a King who needed to demonstrate his unwillingness to be toyed with left him with no choice in the matter.

The Estate was impressive, even by Fae standards. From the way Rerreno spoke, one would think it would be showing signs of age, but everything looked as new, even that which had obviously been set in its place long, long ago. How well would Grovehaven age, Tharu wondered? With its walls of bark and foundation of roots... It stood to face a much different test.

"War can indeed be a powerful motivator, Rerreno. I just wish we knew exactly who this latest war was to be against." The Prince lamented, following him into the simple, but foreboding room. The weapons and maps seemed to exude a pressure in the air that rested heavily on his shoulders, though slightly downplayed by the presence of Varos and Wulren. Tharu took a deep bow and smiled at his companions. "Noble Vitae, The Spring thanks you for your audience today. I promise it would not have been insisted upon were the matter not urgent."

Rerreno

Rerreno walked over to join his brothers, standing with them around a central table whereupon lay a map of Arrethil. "Those of the Spring Court are always welcome within our halls, with or without urgent matters at hand," he stated. "Though, I will say that your concerns are a bit puzzling."

"Aye. If I see right to punch someone in the nose, I generally know who's face I'm going to rearrange," Wulren growled. A war was exactly what he needed. Something to test his mettle with and brush off the dust from centuries of minor conflict at best. But wars required sides.

"Have you been the subject of sabotage? Attacked by masked and hidden foes?" Varos questioned. A slender finger pressed lightly against the map and traced along towards the Falwood. His eyes scanned over the area, looking along the borders and who might stand against them. "And if so, have you any ideas who?"

"I would assume someone powerful. You mentioned earlier, the possibility of an alliance between us and the Autumn Court. While I'm not particularly opposed, it's certainly a drastic measure." All it took was a glance at his silver brother and Rerreno could see the wheels turning within his mind. Wulren was often seen as dull compared to his brothers, his direct nature not lending well to the idea of complicated thought. But when war was involved the math of logistics, manpower, and warbands came to him as easy as breathing. Giving him three armies to play with would be akin to the best of birthday presents. At least, it would if any three of them could remember their birthdays.

Tharu San'Seya

Meeting the Brothers during the Coronation of his father had been one thing; the tension was diluted with wine and merriment. Now though, with business on the table and a threat looming, Tharu couldn't help but be the slightest bit intimidated. These were powerful beings, after all. Immediately he was assailed with warranted questions and concerns from the trio. It must have been a rare occurrence that all of them were summoned to this room. Strangely enough, Tharu could swear there was the tiniest crackle of excitement in their voices.

"I wished to have all of you here before I explained the situation as it stands, for it is a rather delicate one. Autumn has recently informed Spring that information collected from its spies has provided good reason to believe Summer is preparing to launch an offensive. A war could begin at any moment."

It was no secret that things between Summer and Autumn were volatile at their very best. It would not be the first time blood has been shed between those two powers, and doubtful would it be the last. Tharu stepped closer to the table that acted as the centerpiece to the room, his arms wrapped around his midsection. "The Erlking has proposed an alliance with our Spring Court, which King San'Seya has accepted. As an offer of support to the Vitae, Nairth wishes to include you in this alliance. We intend to strike Summer before they have a chance to attack us."

There was something else, and the brothers would be able to tell from the conflict upon Tharu's face as he bowed his head.

"Unfortunately, this is a battle on two fronts. A powerful, and anomalous creature has been wreaking havoc within the Spring's lands, and it grows more powerful by the day. Our warriors are doing all we can to combat it, what we call The Dark One, but if Summer learns of this vulnerability..."

Well, that spoke for itself.

Rerreno spoke first, his brothers staring down at the map before them. “The Vitae Court has always been eager to step forward in times of conflict. Ours is not a place of peaceful observance, but of defense and protection. To be frank, a preemptive strike against any court, including summer doesn’t fit well with our current policies.”

“But that doesn’t mean we ain’t inclined to help,”
Wulren continued for his brother, a finger tracing idly between the lands of Spring and Summer. “Thankfully, you face a battle on two fronts. Let the Autumn Court aid you against summer until escalation justifies our interference. It shouldn’t take long before we come in with the cavalry.”

“And in the meantime, we will be hunting. Our court has been dormant, not dead. It is a subtle difference, but one that will prove beneficial under the circumstances,”
Varos whispered, his voice somehow still carrying with perfect clarity. “Discretion is a skill we have dutifully acquired and honed over the centuries. We can aid you in finding and combatting this darkness. And if the blight can be linked to the summer court,” he trailed off, looking up with a cheshire grin.

“Summer will learn the definition of wrath,”
the lord of war finished. Of course, such subterfuge was at best, speculation. Still, it was a possibility worth entertaining, unless they were told otherwise. "And if this dark one is acting independantly as you believe, then it will have no one to mourn it once its found."

Tharu San'Seya

Tharu initially felt himself deflate at Rerreno's tempering of expectations. He'd known this was a possibility, considering Vitae's guardian-like disposition. It was a trait they shared with the Spring, and although obviously Nairth had deemed a preemptive strike justified in this case, he couldn't count on them deciding the same.

Nevertheless, Wulren and Varos were quick to clarify their allegiance to Spring's cause, and The Prince felt his spirit's lift once more as they proposed their own idea as to how they could assist him. Yes! Any help in battling the Dark One was just as good! Bowing his head once more, Tharu was quick with his gratitude. "The Spring would graciously accept any help in combating The Dark One. Whilst The King has been able to keep it at bay, it is proving to be very difficult to vanquish in its entirety."

Deftly he retrieved one of the rolled scrolls from his robes, information he was to provide them with should they accept, written by his Father's hand. Unrolling it and placing it on the table between them, he dutifully explained: "The Dark One is a creature of unknown origin, initially discovered during King Oberon's reign. Nairth has allowed me to share with you all that this dark being is the true cause of Oberon's death, and not a sudden illness as was reported." To reveal the presence of such a being at the Coronation would have resulted in bedlam, as the Brothers could no doubt surmise.

"Similarly, it's exact nature is a mystery as well. It is capable of inhabiting the bodies of other creatures, causing horrible mutations and vast increases in violence and strength. Killing these host creatures does not seem to kill the Dark One, but it does slow it down and cause it to retreat."

Rerreno's head turned, as did Wulrens, to Varos. The dark clad brother's face soon turned into a wide smile. It wasn't the sort that invited laughter, joy, or merrymaking. Most who saw it felt an instinctual fear. It was the grin of a man born with a purpose that he was about to fulfill. A smile that promised ruined and downfall.

"I'd wondered why I saw such a deep secret twirled around you at the coronation. I had worried you yourself had taken your father's life. Instead, I'm happy to see you offering a worthy hunt."
The shadow fox purred, his tail swaying behind him. There was certainly a danger to this mission. A creature that could consume and control the fae. What could it do with a god? Could it touch the brothers Vitae who, fueled by the prayers of devotees, where immutable even against their own wishes? "I shall happily solve this riddle. It will have my own personal touch."

This brought out a chuckle from Wulren and a raised brow from Rerreno. The recluse would be acting not through his agents but with his own skill. "Anything knowledge you possess, I must acquire. Where it can be found, what prey it prefers. How it retreats, any forms its main shape might take, and any weaknesses it holds. Rest assured, I shall help you see it banished."

Tharu San'Seya

Tharu had expected Varos to speak up sooner or later; this sort of conundrum was right up his alley. Of course, it was far from his place to suggest which Brother should do what, so he was happy to hear the affirmation. Turning to Varos, Tharu bowed once more, seemingly making a habit out of it. "I shall be happy to provide you with anything you need, Brother Varos. While we're not any closer to defeating the creature, we have observed some noticeable patterns. Perhaps one such as you can discern what said patterns imply!"

The day had been a half-victory, but he'd arrived expecting no more. the Vitae would assist with The Dark One, but until Summer showed provable aggression towards Autumn or Spring, the same could not be said for that front. Understandable, and hopefully their help wouldn't be needed for that area anyways.

"If it is not too much trouble, though..." Tharu turned again to Rerreno, hands together at his waist. "I should like to retire for a spell. My trip here has made me weary, and I believe some rest would help me in recounting my personal encounters with our foe to Brother Varos." The Prince hadn't realized just how drained he was until he'd concluded his business, and already he felt his eyelids battling him.

"The sooner I have the report, the sooner I can begin my hunt. But if you'll excuse me, I have some preparations to make before I begin," Varos growled excitedly before rising up. "If anyone needs me, I'll be in my office." Swiftly, he slid from his seat and out the door.

Rerreno shook his head, tutting his tongue while Wulren chuckled to himself. "As if he needed a reason to lock himself into that office again. Get that report in soon. Maybe he'll get out of the house," the diplomat sighed.

"And get himself some sunlight," Wulren added with a laugh.

Tharu's imposition was met with a dismissive wave of Rerreno's hand. "Your room is already prepared, and I'm sure the Ixchel Wilds, particularly our Veran wood must have been a taxing experience. Our grounds are yours to roam if you feel like it. If you have the chance though, find yourself a guide. Not required, but our lands can be dangerous." Once more, Rerreno's hands waved, though this time he spoke and his voice echoed in on itself with arcane incantations.

A light appeared over Tharu's shoulder then formed into a small coyote, hardly half a foot tall. "Little Lux here will guide you to your room. Rest well Tharu. And if you find time to write, do so thoroughly. My brother's interrogations can be quite rigorous, even for those he calls friend."

Tharu San'Seya

Tharu looked after the departing Varos with a trepidatious smile. His help was appreciated, but he did admit worrying for Varos' safety should he too brazenly chase that horror that was the Dark One. Even a Duanann with the strength of his Father had nearly been bested by it, after all... Were anything to happen to the Vitae brothers because of his request, no small amount of guilt would be upon his shoulders.

As the eager recluse of the three departed, The Prince quickly returned his attention to Rerreno, nodding affirmatively as he acknowledged the dog-like apparition that formed beside him. "Absolutely, I will begin my work at once." He would need to send word to his father, which would mean a short trip out into the Vitae lands before his full report was complete, but he could do much of the preliminary work from the comfort of his room.

He followed the apparition closely out of the war room and through the Hidden Estate to his room without delay, Rerreno's warnings of the dangers of these lands and Varos' thorough examinations ringing fresh in his ears. Perhaps tomorrow he could find somebody out in the woods who knew the expanse well enough to assist him.

The guest chambers were far from quaint, but by no means pitiable. The large bed tucked against the wall looked ever so inviting, but his attention was first drawn to the desk by the window, bathed in sunlight pouring in on the smoothened wood surface. Yes, work first...