Open Chronicles Expansion

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Lord Skavius Drytail

Underworld Kingpin
Character Biography
Link
Jared couldn’t see anything through the black sack that had been shoved over his head hours ago. It was quiet now, but before then there had been muffled voices and strange chittering voices yelling. He knelt on the ground with his hands bound behind his back. The floor was wet, he could feel it seeping into the knees of his pants. The smell… gods the smell.

Just four hours prior he had been on the job. Steady jobs were hard to find in the Underdark, and almost none of them could be kept without killing someone. Jared was good at that part, made a good name for himself in the knife-fighting rings before he was picked up by Woodtongue as a street-level thug. Killed enough troublemakers to land himself a job as an enforcer and boy life was good. He just had to wait around until someone made enough of a fuss for him to come and take care of them.

He’d been on the streets a lot more in the past few days. Rous were moving in. Disgusting, smelly rodents that thought they could start slingin’ product in Woodtongue’s turf. Jared had killed four of them and was heading towards the fifth when he was jumped.

His legs ached, he’d been kneeling for what felt like at least an hour. It was deathly quiet, especially since he’d been gagged from the start. The silence was broken by a bang… a door slamming?

Suddenly the hood was torn from his face. The candlelight, though dim, hurt his eyes after so long in the dark. When they adjusted he saw that he was in fact one of three men, all of them bound and gagged in a line. He was at the far left end of the three. The one in the middle looked terrified, his face wet from tears and snot. The one on the far right wasn’t crying, but he also looked afraid. Jared was afraid, too, but he did his best not to show it. He knew what this was, he’d seen plenty from the other side.

Six… no, seven other men stood around the room, one directly in front of them. Gods, he was fat.

Then his eyes fully adjusted to the light, and his face turned white. They were rats. All of them. He had been taken by the Rous. The corpulent one in the middle made a motion, and their gags were roughly removed. Jared sputtered along with the others, but he didn’t speak. Slowly, with labored steps, the rous stepped into the light.

”Gentlemen,” Drytail spoke in a surprisingly deep and rich voice. His hands swept out, palms upward in greeting. ”I thank you for joining us this evening, although, I confess, I wish it were under better circumstances.” Every part of him seemed to move as he spoke, the ripples of flesh starting at his chin and migrating over his body where it was not hidden by sturdy armor or thick silks.

”I like to consider myself a reasonable rous,” he continued, ”I conduct business, the same as many in these dark tunnels. Well, aha! Much better than most if I may be so bold!” he chortled to himself, his laughs echoing in the small stone room. None of the other rous laughed.

”But… you…” he pointed at them, ”...have interfered in this business. Oh, oh, no… I cannot have that. No fewer than ten of my… salesmen… have been slaughtered by your very hands!” The jovial tone had left him, and it was replaced with a hot fury. He breathed heavily for several moments, his face flushed where it was not hidden beneath dark fur. He began to pace in front of them, a pudgy tail sweeping behind him.

”I understand you may have dealt with other competitors in such a way, yes, yes. But I will not tolerate such an affront.” He motioned to a guard and they came forth. They carried a sword nearly as tall as Drytail himself, and easily a full foot in width. It had a flat end and a single edge like a meat cleaver. At the very end of the weapon, jutting opposite the sharp edge, was a short yet horrific looking hook.

The man in the middle broke. “Please, ser,” he blubbered, “It was Woodtongue’s orders, ser. He… he would’ve killt us if we’s hadn’t done it!”

”Woodtongue is finished.” The fat lord said matter-of-factly, taking the sword and stepping towards the man on the far left, who began to shake violently.

“Yes, master sir,” this man agreed. “We don’t like him at all! We… we’d much rather work for you! Please… we had no choice!”

Drytail tutted, his chins waggling as he did so. ”Such disloyalty.” With shocking ease, he lifted the mighty sword over his head and brought it down, cleaving the prisoner clean in half. The deluge of blood was sickening, and the man in the middle screamed and began sobbing in earnest, pleading and begging. Drytail’s simply pulled back the weapon, his eyes burning with a silent fervor.

He walked slowly to the next prisoner, and amidst his cries and pleas, split him like a log just the same. Jared did not cry when Drytail stood before him, he did not beg. He just stared into those beady eyes, the crooked, jutting teeth.

”Do you have any last words?” the rat asked solemnly. Jared spat on him. The last thing he saw was a rush of steel.

Drytail stood over the mutilated bodies, breathing heavily. His handiwork was efficient and gruesome as ever, but it did not satisfy him the way it used to. He thrust the bloodied weapon back into the hands of a guard, who staggered under its sudden weight. Stalking back to the door he barked an order.

”Summon my generals, we have work to do.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A region of the Underdark is in turmoil. Lord Skavius Drytail, crime boss and de-facto ruler of the Underdark for many leagues, has laid claim to Darnish Woodtongue’s territory. The normally treacherous Underdark is sure to be even more dangerous on this border as the conflict rages. Mercenaries can find plentiful work on either side, and spies, suppliers, and most of all thieves, will come like moths to a flame.

Lord Drytail now meets with his generals and advisors in his war room.

• Thoughtful
  • Sip
Reactions: Zana and Kekrizh
Zana

Ashur-Kan sat comfortably on his horse. Drawing parallel to him was one of his household's more junior Dreadlords, one that he had spent a worryingly small amount of time with. He grimaced silently to himself, he tried to entertain all of his Dreadlords, become as close to friends with them as were possible. Luana was far from harsh taskmasters, likely they possessed some of the least overworked Dreadlords, but it was good practice to familiarise yourself with the team.

"Zana, I think apologies are in order, I haven't seen you since that gala a few months ago and now, here I am dragging you on some secretive mission during your day off." He smiled gently towards the Dreadlord. Although it wasn't his face that turned to her. The two had employed some clever rune magic to create a glamour that hid their true identities. It was common practice on diplomatic or foreign missions within Vel'Anir, especially when the houses did not want word getting out.

He paused. He'd given Zana some reading material before the mission - instructed her to burn it once she was done, so no trace of their actions would remain. That said, he knew some Dreadlords were barely capable of such literacy - although he doubted Zana was one of them. Ademar sprang to mind.

"The Underdark is a curious thing, relatively unknown and left out of surface politics... Yet, it pays to ensure your neighbours are stable. A new power is growing and I wish to extend an olive branch, at any case, it will keep crime down at least." His eyes drifted lazily towards the countryside rolling before them. It was well-known the Underdark had a hand in most crimes within Arethil, whether or not the rumour was true that was another question.

All Ashur knew was that a friend below-ground, one familiar with the comings and goings of the underworld, would be a useful contact and ally for his house. Vel'Anir would benefit too, of course. If the Underdark was more centralised and unified, bargains could be struck to protect and stave off crime that plagued a state's interests.

"A curious race... The Rous, they are steadily gaining power. We have been sent as anonymous Anirian benefactors to ensure the takeover goes smoothly." He did not know his comrade well enough to gauge her thoughts and opinions, so he continued.

"I figured, a secret mission might bring us closer." He laughed, his voice calm and gentle.

"That and, once we're done, I have a vineyard and hot spring waiting for us to relax afterwards." A thrill of excitement shot through his spine. A recent Luana purchase had seen them acquire a fledging vineyard that hosted several thermal baths, he had yet to visit but had heard great things.

Ashur's companion appeared the mirror image to him. Whilst he sat relaxed and at ease, she appeared stiff and uncomfortable despite the efforts to keep her emotions from her face. Everything about this mission had caught her off guard and for Zana that was a rarity that had put her on the defensive. She hadn't foreseen any summons and she had actually been looking forward to spending her day off pursuing one of her new hobbies. But alas, there was no point in arguing with the heir of your house when he requested you personally. Her eyes darted about their surroundings as they rode taking in every little detail she could and committing it to memory as if something there might give her more insight into their mission.

She had not had much time to read the notes she was given before their departure but she had a rough understanding of the situation. It seemed straight forward enough though the idea of dealing literally with vermin made her skin crawl a little.

Zana was content with long journeys being carried out in relative silence so having Ashur talk was another jarring change to her normal way of working. It was at least relative to the mission so she did pay attention intently to what he had to say, and more importantly what he thought about it. However she made sure to keep her eyes firmly on the road between her horses white ears instead of meet his gaze. Her dealings with the Luana family had not been all that pleasant from a young age and she knew full well it was his father who had ordered such intense experiments on her skills. Just how far did the apple fall from this tree?

At his comment on them growing close she covered a snort with a polite cough.

"Their leaders seem to shift erratically," Zana thought quietly over the material she had been given. "There would be no assurance that whatever you negotiate here will be honoured by whoever replaces him," after a moment she finally met his gaze for the first time. "What are you planning to offer them in order to ensure this... friendship continues beyond your contact should the need arise?" Would he be willing to send his Dreadlords to aid this new leader should he have need to crush any future rebellions? Would he end up wasting Luana resources in trying to keep this leader afloat? The thoughts worried at her and a small frown marred her until now blank face. There were enough troubles in Vel Anir to worry about what happened beneath their feet.

Last edited:
"That is a very fair point Zana, I'm very glad you brought it up" He spoke calmly and passed a warm and genuine smile over towards his travelling companion. His lips worked briefly in thought as he considered how best to convey his thought-process towards her.

"The Underdark has been plagued by corruption, instability and unrest. Drytail is the first ambitious one who attempts to exploit that. He's got considerable allies and supporters within the Underdark and... Since we've had a significant increase in, how should I say it? Unsavoury dealings with the Underdark. We figured it would be best to support his interests. You know what they say, better to have someone pissing outside the tent from within than outside pissing him." He let off a brief snicker at his joke. Crude humour was a new thing to him, people daren't expose him to such within the confines of Anirian society.

"We are here to take down one of his last remaining rivals. He knows us as two nameless Dreadlords sent by a benefactor. When you meet him you'll see he's quite an... eccentric figure by any standards. That said, we will not be supplying him military aid - aside from this of course. An odd gift here, an odd gift there - small monetary contributions really. He wants to be seen as a leader, he wants the Underdark as his state." He paused. The actual dealings and considerations hadn't been fleshed out fully, but Ashur-Kan continued. He trusted his Dreadlords.

"Additionally... It is not entirely selflessness why we are here. Elise Virak has been making moves, she's trying to break the ruling alliance apart and wage another useless war. I'm sure you're aware that she decimated an entire city without council approval recently? I fear that we need to look further afield for our allies. I do not know if Drytail can be such an ally, but it would be idiotic of me to discount him simply because... because he's a rat." His tone shifted in the last bit. Honesty was a rarity among the nobility and it was almost therapeutic for him to speak those words aloud and give them substance.

As Ashur-Kan finished his speech, the two of them rode off one of the well-travelled paths and on towards a hidden overgrown trail. In the distance, beyond several small copses of trees, a small mountainous outcropping could be seen. Their chosen entrance into the Underdark beyond.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Zana
Zana felt like she was back at the Academy in that brief moment he praised her for asking a good question. Memories flashed through her mind and she had to force herself to flex her fingers on her reigns in order not to stiffen her whole body. Even if students had asked good questions they were usually punished for speaking and assuming nobody had thought what they had asked before, or for being arrogant enough to interrupt a lecturer. She swallowed the lump in her throat and her shoulders eased a little when she realised he actually did find it a good question and proceeded to inform her of his opinion.

They hadn't spoken much at the gala. Zana had been too busy trying not to throw up after she had touched Elise Virak and she had no intentions of ever going near that woman again if she could help it. But he had come across as quite a quiet man who had taken his cues from Her Ladyship. But perhaps her impressions of him made from those observations had been wrong. He was... smarter than she had given him credit for and she found herself nodding in agreement.

"Why are you keeping my identity a secret Sir? I understand... you keeping yours hidden. But surely you want him to know it is Luana who are the benefactors here and not allow for the credit to fall elsewhere. If you are happy for them to know which House it is that sends them gifts then why keep my face hidden?" she was nothing, after all. A tool to be used. The grass nearly came up to her knees even on horseback and her mount nipped at the passing tops of the grass. It was a bad habit for a horse to get into but it wasn't her horse so she let it be; it was not her job to school every horse in that stable.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Ashur-Kan Luana
The war room was perhaps the only place in Drytail's keep that had a theme. Red banners draped the walls, each with a different sigil or symbol. The downside of stealing most of your goods was that you could not commission any with your own design. Still, they set the mood well, and most of them were only partially moth-eaten. Dark iron weapons and hastily assembled suits of armor dotted the walls and in the center was a long table.

Laid out upon the table was a very large map of the local Underdark. It looked very much like a child had been given free license with a quill and ink, and from afar resembled a tangled mess of yarn. The twisting tunnels and passages were only the known routes, and many secrets had been drawn in as they were discovered. This was only the Underdark in the immediate area, as well. The true expanses could never be contained to a single sheet of paper, no matter how large. After all, what was unknown could not be mapped.

Drytail stool at the end of the table, closest to the map. He had swapped out his bloodstained silks for clean ones and managed to wash off most of his face (a rare ritual). He was looking at various trinkets that had been placed on the map as markers, and a group of mean-looking rous sat around the rest of the table.

"Woodtongue has been hitting the eastern corridors the hardest, I want reinforcements there but we will send a second group around to the west, catch him from behind." The other rous hummed and hawed their approval, and one spoke.

"An excellent plan, my lord. This will, however, take forces away from the main routes."

Drytail waved his hand. "That is not a concern. Only a small strike team will be needed, the majority will stay on the primary course." The general looked somewhat perplexed, but knew better than to question the strategy. The Lord had not gained so much territory by losing wars.

Indeed, the relative stability of Drytail's control was remarkable. It had only been a few years since he began aggressively expanding his influence, but the slow and steady base he had built in the decade beforehand served him well. Paradoxically, it was also due to his restraint. He did not destroy homes and infrastructure when he could help it, and instead added them to his own domain. A steady flow of taxes kept his empire running, but his "citizens" would be protected from other unsavory interlopers... for the most part.

He was even more confident in this next acquisition, however. He had instructed his guards to be on the lookout for some most unusual guests. Anirians, from the surface above, had sought an audience with him. A nameless figure had offered the services of none other than the famed and feared Dreadlords. Even one such soldier at his command could double his territory... but he would exercise caution.

As a rule, Anirians were not to be trusted. Deeply intolerant of the "lesser races," so they called them, he questioned their motives for assisting him. No doubt some form of mutual benefit, and he was very keen to find out what this was. Were it not for the immensity of the support they were offering, Drytail would have been very hesitant to accept.

One thing was certain, however: he would not be in debt to these people. He would not be in debt to anyone. He was the collector, he held the upper hand in all of his dealings. To do business otherwise was foolish.

He would see these visitors, and hear their terms. He would learn their motives, and perhaps a secret or two. Most importantly, he would locate all of the strings attached to this deal.

"Better to be safe than sorry, after all. With our disguises on we are two nameless Dreadlords. With just mine, I am a nameless Dreadlord - who doesn't exist - and a Luana Dreadlord who left the city fully kitted and ready for battle on her day off." He smiled. The question was a fair one. Not many people knew how easy it was to access information regarding the Dreadlords. Painfully so, in fact. Any member of any household had connections aplenty to reference where a Dreadlord was at any point in time.

As the trio passed through the first copse of trees, Ashur continued, although this time he kept his attention solely fixed on the rocky outcroppings before him. "The other houses have paid little heed to the politics of the Underdark. I very much consider that they would be far too proud to admit or, even pretend to, have dealings with the Rous." He chuckled. Pride was a useless thing, it was the biggest hindrance of Vel'Anir and he was glad that his family at least never let it overcome them.

"I would much rather keep the relationship secret, I do not trust the Rous and suspect they could even attempt to blackmail us - although I do not think Drytail so foolish. No, I think an arms-length relationship should act best. We pay him in coin and intelligence to keep Vel'Anir relatively crime-free and, occasionally, we might call on him for a favour or two. Such is the way of the world." He spoke calmly and lively, eventually bringing his hand up behind his side and motioned towards the outcropping that grew in the distance.

Hidden, yet easily visible to a trained Dreadlord, were two rous figures - dressed in what could be assumed to be their smartest clothes. Although that said, it was little more than a patchy shirt with a tie painted on. As the duo drew closer, Ashur-Kan hailed the two figures from their vantage points.

"I believe Lord Drytail was expecting us - you two will lead the way yes?" The first Rous nodded, then scurried off into the darkness awaiting the two Dreadlords to follow.

Zana inclined her head to show she understood but other than that she kept quiet for the rest of the ride and merely listened to the information offered freely about his opinions. Information was key in the game of Vel Anir and it might be things Zana herself could use in the future. As the figures appeared in the distance she went over once again in her mind the notes about her new persona. They were meant to be nameless but of course the two of them would not be able to go the length of this mission without communicating with one another. So within her file had been a rough sketch of the person she was to be on this mission. Her name was Cassie. Another unremarkable name. Short for Cassandra presumably.

All of that she could take within her stride. No, the most disconcerting bit about the glamour was seeing white skin when she looked down at her hands. Before they had left she had caught her new face in the mirror; blonde ringlets and pale blue almost grey eyes. Unremarkable. It was a face that would very easily get lost in Vel Anir, not at all like Zana's true face.

When she first saw the rous it was hard to keep the grimace off her face. She had no true qualms against other races, but Zana hated rats and the idea of following them down into their lair made her skin crawl, even if they weren't truly rats. Reluctantly she dismounted her horse; the little hole the creatures had disappeared through was no way big enough for the two steeds, so she took the reigns of her own horse and that of Ashurs and led them to a small crop of trees where she staked them down and eased their girths.

With one hand on her sword she took a deep breath and followed Ashur into the dark tunnels.

• Dab
The Underdark was a dangerous place. Aside from the near absence of light and uneven footing, and ignoring the scores of criminals and general lawlessness, every tunnel was bristling with hidden danger. Perhaps a cave centipede would bite your ankle and paralyze you long enough for a skeever to eat your organs. Maybe you would step on the wrong cobblestone only to feel it sink into the ground while an arrow sticks you from the side. Even with their guides, the two Anirians would do well to keep their wits about them. Of course, such dangerous would be trivial to a Dreadlord.

They took the most direct path available, although it surely did not feel that way. They ducked through many side passages and secret crawls, through doors barred by passwords and heavy locks. Eventually they would find themselves in front of a door that was larger than the rest, and flanked by beefy rous wearing mismatched armor and carrying weapons from several different regions.

Drytail's "keep," as it was called, was like the rest of the Underdark: a series of caves. These, however, were well lit and lavishly decorated, and the ceilings were high enough for the humans to stand upright. They were funneled immediately to the war room.

The first guide poked his head in the door after a quick knock. "The, uh, 'tourists,' my Lord," he said in a sickly squeaking voice.

Lord Drytail waved his hand, "Leave us," he ordered his generals. All left except for his two personal bodyguards, and he settled himself in a large wooden chair at the end of the long table. The anirians would be ushered forth by their guides before having the door closed behind them.

"Welcome!" Drytail said in a jovial tone, opening his arms in greeting, a smile playing at his jowls. "Welcome to my humble home. Oh, I am sure it does not compare to your castles above, but we rous enjoy the simple things in life. Bahaha!" He allowed himself a healthy chortle, and motioned to the chairs near him. "Sit, sit... we have much to discuss."

The sentiment of their visit had been explained in writing, but the exact details were left ambiguous. That was fine, negotiations were one of Drytail's strong suits. Of course, he was not usually set against someone that he could not intimidate.

Ashur took note of the steps each of their guide took, remembered each turn and cave they entered. His memory was a honed and sharpened weapon if they needed to make an escape he would remember. It would be a terrible death, he imagined, getting lost in the endless tunnels and labyrinthian Underdark.

Eventually, they made their way to the final destination and turned into Drytail's war chamber. As the Rous left, Ashur slipped them both a crown as a tip for their help and shifted his attention solely on the commanding and bulbous figure that was Drytail. Without delay, Ashur produced two large drums of gold paint and rested them onto the table before the crime lord. His sources had told him that Drytail was a big fan of paint - although for what purpose he couldn't begin to imagine.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Lord Drytail. My employer has told me that you were a man of taste and I can see why." He smiled warmly towards the rat. Across the war room were random maps of far off corners of Arethil - most forged and inaccurate - but you couldn't blame the poor figure for trying. Ashur, at least, wasn't going to burst his bubble.

"I believe we have some details to flesh out? My master will be watching behind a veil of rune magic, so I can assure you that I speak on his behalf and can answer any question or provide anything you wish." Again, a warm smile. Although, this time, it was more at how literal his words had come out. He almost chuckled, almost.

"Once we've had it all fleshed out, just point my comrade and I in the direction of your enemy and we'll do the rest."

• Popcorn
Zana followed at a slightly slower pace behind the others. Not enough to be left behind but enough so that she would have enough space to defend the rearguard should they have need of such a thing. Her hand rested on the pommel of her sword and it didn't leave it even when they entered the supposed war room. with a sweep of her gaze she took it all in and then caught herself as she went to stand behind Ashur - no - she had to sit next to him Ashur. If she were to stand behind him it would give away their positions in reality and that wouldn't pay.

Slowly she sat down. How... odd. To sit in a meeting.

The talking was best left to Ashur and so she neatly folded her hands over the top of the table and instead pretended to be interested in the maps and banners that hung upon the wall. Better for him to think only one of them was intelligent and the other merely here for tactical support.

Drytail's small, black eyes peeked out from the creases and rolls of his face. It was unusual for him to treat with surface dwellers, and even rarer for them to treat with him. Normally he would not have bothered with it, preferring to deal with his enemies the way he had always done so, as this had not served him wrong yet. But, then again, there was nothing normal about the situation.

The word "Dreadlord" was so seldom mentioned in the Underdark that its meaning was likely unknown to most of its inhabitants. For those that did know it, the word was often treated like a myth, referring to some great and powerful force somewhere far, far away, and well beyond the realm of their own personal reality.

To Drytail, however, and others of a more "worldly" disposition, the word held weight. They were a force best avoided. He had no delusions of taking Vel Anir, not in any way that would matter to its rulers. Perhaps delve into its criminal enterprises from below the surface, but always with a keen eye and a loose hand on those above.

But to be offered their assistance... Drytail had to admit, his curiosity was peaked. The idea that he could have power incarnate at his fingertips was quite alluring, and so he had acquiesced.

"Ahh, no doubt he has much on his plate in the big city, busy man like him." He said, nodding his head, but then his tone fell a note. "I am a busy man, too. And I do not make a habit of speaking to subordinates." He stared at Ashur-Kan, perhaps the master behind those eyes would make note of this slight. But his face returned to its regular doughy shape just as quickly, and he said, "Ah, but he probably couldn't stomach the smell! Bwaha!"

He adjusted himself in his seat, shifting his ample weight to one side and then the other. "Naturally, your offer is intriguing," he continued in a more serious tone. "The Dreadlords of Vel Anir are legendary, and I am certain that with individuals such as yourselves, we will make short work of Woodtongue." He rubbed at his chin and chattered his teeth quietly, his brow creased in thought.

"Of course, we are not in the business of charity. I would not expect such assistance to be offered lightly. Naturally, your masters will wish something of me in return. This can be arranged, but the terms will need to be set." He leaned back and folded his hands over his belly, the seat groaning in protest at the movement.

"I will ask plainly: what is it you desire of me?"

Ashur-Kan did not answer Drytail. Instead, he laughed where Drytail laughed, nodded where he nodded, and smiled when he smiled. The rous was trying at playing human, he could see the figure trying to put on airs and improving his standard. It was a good attempt, in Ashur's opinion. He'd seen far clumsier attempts in Anirian society. Yet, he sensed something else. Something dangerous. Drytail was a smart man, he knew when to push, when to pull and what to say. Ashur could appreciate how such an individual had suddenly taken the Underdark by storm.

His smile widened. This would be a fruitful endeavour indeed. Silently, he presented a document for all to see and carefully laid it out before Drytail. The parchment was of the finest quality, written in gold ink and rippling with blue surges of magic. Divided into three columns, the parchment - a contract - was translated into Common, Underdark and, finally - and with great expense - Squeek. The strange pidgin language that the Rous had claimed via scrabbling together various phrases and sounds of other languages. At the bottom, in handwriting that would be familiar to Drytail, Ashur had signed as 'The Benefactor' and imprinted a small bloodied fingerprint to bind him to the document.

"I appreciate your frankness. Indeed, every favour is not without cost and my master would appreciate it if you could read this document and - if you agree to it - sign and bind yourself to it. It prevents either him, or you, from betraying the other party. If you wish, you may have it independently assessed - but we guarantee there are no tricks here."

Without waiting for Drytail's response, Ashur-Kahn spoke levelly and explained the various terms and conditions hidden within the contract.

"My master agrees to pay you a quarterly stipend of 10,000 Anirian crowns, in return, you use your influence to... encourage your associates to avoid and dissuade any criminal enterprises within Anirian territory. Additionally, he will provide you with two favours. These favours are within reason, as set about here." He gestured towards one of the clauses in the contract. The favours may be anything, as long as it was within the limits and powers of the individual. Equally, if impossible or difficult, they retain the right to refuse.

"Additionally... My master would appreciate it if you encouraged your comrades to frequent the confines of The Empire. He will pay you an appropriate premium on top of your stipend for any major operations and activity that prove detrimental to the function of the Empire. He intends to be very generous, especially if crime were to suddenly plague that area of the world." Ashur smiled calmly, letting his words linger for a few moments.

"Finally, my master will, equally, be owed two favours from you and your kin. These will be entirely within your right to refuse and, as per the contract, he will not ask you something you cannot possibly achieve. Completion of these favours will grant you increased... Income." His smile never as he spoke and he carried on, talking Drytail through the final clause of the agreement.

"The agreement will prevent either of us knowingly betraying the other, I believe there's a group in the Underdark who have a similar agreement... The Reckoners? It is much the same as theirs." Ashur was nothing if not meticulous. This contract had been drafted by some of the finest minds in Elbion, he had spared no expense, and had even ensured their minds be wiped after this project had been completed.

He finished calmly, placing his hands gently onto his lap. He cast a glance towards Zana, checking on his comrade and reassuring her with a small smile.

Whilst the two talked, Zana watched. Her gaze ran over the man her House were to do business with and she thought quietly about why they didn't just wipe the rous out and implement their own Underground. The people of Vel Anir loved them and there would no doubt be many people who would jump at the chance of a new life if it were packaged the right way.

The contract seemed very well thought out however, so clearly those paid more to think more had decided against outing them. It made her more curious about them and as such her eyes never wavered from the rat in front of them. With the guise on her blue eyes were like ice and more than a little unsettling in their unblinking manner.

When Ashur turned to her it took effort to stop staring and evaluating and give the man a glance and small incline of the head to show she was ok.

• Popcorn
The glittering piece of paper caught Lord Drytail’s eye like a hundred coins that sparkled beneath the murky waters of the Underdark.The gold ink and rippling blue lights were surely unnecessary, but they had been an expert touch. Drytail rarely ever dealt in written deals. Words were enough in the Underdark, and for all of his terrible actions and self-indulgence, his word was binding. However, drawn to any image of wealth, the protuberant rodent took the piece of paper with strenuously contained eagerness.

He held out his hand, and one of his guards placed a pair of glasses into them, which he balanced on his bulbous nose without taking his eyes off the paper. It was actually two pairs of glasses melded together at the center (it was difficult to find an intact pair down here) and the left side had two lenses, one directly in front of the other. Rous were not known for their vision, and the bright text would have been easy enough to read in any conditions, so it was not at all unlikely that the rat baron had done this simply to appear more learned than he truly was.

He tutted as he read, teeth chattering once more. ”A well written bit of parchment,” he said after a time, setting it down and removing the glasses, returning his eyes to their normal size. ”I am afraid, though, that some… alterations may be in order.” He leaned back in his hefty chair once more, regarding the two anirians one after the other. The woman had not spoken since they’d arrived… perhaps she was simply the muscle. Not a bad plan for underground travel.

”Naturally, you ask me to protect your own territories from the… activities of our populace. Alas, I am afraid that life beneath the surface is quite different than it is in your sunlit homes. These activities put food on the table for my dear citizens. They look to me as a protector, a provider. I cannot ask them to forsake their livelihoods for the favor of a foreign lord.” He paused, he did not like to speak too quickly during negotiations. Let the others sweat it out. Much to his disappointment, the man’s face seemed unable to change from smiling.

”However-” he started up again, and immediately coughed violently into his arm. The fit lasted a good ten seconds, but he recomposed himself afterwards and turned back to the pair. ”However, my loyal subjects in the area could certainly be dissuaded from venturing above ground too often if their pockets were filled by other means. Alas, 10,000 crowns will be spread too thin to allow this. Fifty-thousand crowns quarterly, and I will suspend all official operations in Anirian lands, and, in appreciation for your master’s assistance, I will declare the capital city of Vel Anir off-limits to any and all Underdark citizens.”

Of course his proposal would be refused, but the humans must have known he would attempt to increase the written amount. They would likely settle somewhere in the middle, and this suited Drytail just fine. Suspending his organization’s activities in the Anirian region would not be a large loss, as he didn’t truly intend to venture above ground in the area all that much. Perhaps in the outlying settlements some “freelancers” might find a few trinkets, but he was perfectly happy to leave the military superpower well enough alone.

”As for the Empire, their power rivals the Anirians. Take no offense at this, my friends, we all know a Dreadlord is worth a hundred Empire soldiers, alas the Empire has soldiers to spare. Now, I believe that my people will be more than capable of reaching their lands, but make no mistake,” he pointed a chubby finger with a dirty claw at Ashur, ”I will not be pulled into your war. I am prepared to make an arrangement with your master and him only. I cannot favor Vel Anir itself. To do so would put my people beneath the desert sands in danger. I am sure you understand.”

”Now, as to these favors…”
They deal troubled him much more than a few thousand crowns. The favors added an element of uncertainty. Lord Skavius Drytail did not deal in uncertainties. Oh, he had offered his services in exchange for ambiguous favors many times, but he would never be fool enough to enter into such an agreement for himself. No, he would know exactly what he was getting himself into. Only then could he be certain that he stood to make a profit from this agreement.

”I am afraid I cannot promise to do something if I do not know what it is. Your master may make his requests, but they must be made now.” A knowing smile crept across his jagged and stained teeth. Some additional terms may be added to the contract, but it was just as well if the “favors” were removed entirely. While Drytail appreciated the business, he would not bind himself to a single party beyond what was absolutely necessary.

Ashur-Kahn paused thoughtfully then nodded. Truth be told, he hadn't particularly considered what he truly wanted favour-wise from the Rous. There were not any pressing situations that required him to use such a valuable favour, nor the unique skills of Drytail's people. He showed no expression on his face, he was impressed with the Rous' commitment to negotiation and his willingness to barter - Ashur, or at least a part of him, had assumed the negotiations would be a pushover. He inhaled deeply, another tactic then.

"Part of the reason." He paused, Ashur was a thoughtful man and liked to take his time with his words. He was a talented orator and even the most boring conversation he could stretch to eternity and have the audience on the edge of their seat - or at least for most people. "We travelled here in a pair, is because... While I am the eyes of my master, my comrade here is the voice."

"She is a powerful mind mage and will be communicating directly the wishes and expressions of our master. Therefore, I think it best if she carry on the negotiations." He smiled calmly towards Zana. He felt no small pang of guilt throwing her to the wolves like this, but his Dreadlords were all sharp and intelligent. While Virak chose the flashiest, most destructive, Luana took comfort in the cunning, the wise and the smart.

"Ania, I believe it is your time to continue the rest of the negotiations." His face was a warm one and his smile genuine. This was his first foray into the Underdark and he knew he could probably change tact later on. Instead, he wanted to see how Zana's mind worked. It was hard to see what direction, ambition or goals his pledged wanted for or from the house. However, today he would see just that. Plus, if Drytail came looking for a mind-mage named Ania he would certainly be in for a shock.

While I am the eyes of my master, my comrade here is the voice.

No...

Dread crept into Zana's bones though her face remained impassive as Ashur continued to throw her under the carriage so to speak. She didn't know enough about these people, nor about the aims of Luana to be able to properly carry out a negotiation such as this. Her nails dug slightly into the palms of her hands to stop herself from shooting her Commander a look of horror and betrayal. This seemed... unwise to say the least. Her mind quickly back peddled through the conversation to recall the little details Ashur had already spoken about out loud and then over the counter offers Drytail had provided. Of course, to Zana, half of his requests were not acceptable on any level. But how to come to a middle point so that these discussions didn't drag on for much longer?

For a while all she could do was stare at Drytail with a cool and unnerving gaze. In truth it was shock that was keeping her tongue from working but it probably would just seem she was talking to this mysterious master of theirs.

"Thank you," Zana glanced to Ashur though her honeyed words were nothing of the sort. There was definitely a glint in her eyes and the set of her jaw that told him she was incredibly unhappy with how the situation had been turned upon her. Her gaze then went back to Drytail.

"We understand your concerns about your people and their livelihood and of course we're not suggesting you entirely forsake Anirian territories but rather... avoid certain areas and target others. We think you'll find that the ... tips we give you will be more worth your peoples time than petty thievery in other areas. Your continued activity in the Anirian regions will also mean your activities in the Empire will seem less like an attack per see but rather just what you do," Zana took a breath and forced herself to press her hands flat against her thighs under the table.

"But again, we can perhaps provide you with some of these same tips and bits of information which will make your forays into the sands more profitable for yourself but also for us - certain shipments that will be disrupted, pieces of information that might not reach their intended person because they're robbed on the Sand Trails - that sort of thing." It was hard not to look at Ashur to gauge if this was what he wanted. She wished that she did have the powers to talk to others through her mind, it would definitely make this a whole lot easier.

"As for the favours..." Zana's eyes flicked to the contract then back to the rat lord. There were a million possibilities here. Slowly she raised her hands and began to tug off her leather gloves one finger at a time. There was only one way she would be able to even see what favours the House might need. "May I...?" she held out her hand and indicated for him to give her his own.

Lord Drytail's dark eyes were guided to Zana, and it was the first time he had truly inspected her. For someone who was "the voice" of their master, she had been markedly silent. Still, Drytail did not know the ways of these dreadlords and their magics, and so did not draw attention to this.

She seemed to commune with her master for some time, but finally she spoke in a pleasant voice. Naturally, his counter demands had not been met, but this was to be expected. It appeared that the Anirians had made him a better deal than initially expected, even taking into account appearances to the other nation-powers. Of course, they would have thought of this, he reasoned. Vel Anir was probably the last place that would want it known they had direct dealings with the rous.

While the lord was not one to take orders from anyone, the idea of guidance from the Anirians was palatable enough. Suggestions and whispers could be heeded or ignored, and if these whispers were as profitable as the woman promised, it would be useful to listen. Perhaps he could discover the patterns within them and learn of Vel Anir's true interests with time. In any case, the offer actually expanded his area of influence within the region.

He hummed here and there as she spoke, considering and thinking, or giving that appearance. When she extended her hand, however, he hesitated. The man had already told him that she was a mind mage, and he did not wish to have his thoughts rifled through. His immediate instinct was to refuse... but a curiosity filled him. The rous were rarely magical, and the underdark had little more than witches and potioneers on an average day. The allure of true magic was... tantalizing.

Slowly, he reached across the table with a stubby-fingered paw. Zana would need to do most of the leaning, as he could only extend himself so far with his stout stature. His bodyguards stepped closer, ready to intervene if needed. Of course, there was little they would be able to do against such sorcerers.

"No tricks," Drytail said with a crooked smile, waggling a finger with his other hand.

• Devil
Ashur did not react to Zana. He nodded briefly as she spoke, then smiled warmly back towards Drytail. Needless to say, he was impressed, although he knew she would not disappoint. His Dreadlords were groomed for their intelligence and cunning, he knew Zana had both in ample amounts. Ashur-Kan waved his hand over the contract, his fingers moving in small almost imperceptible movements and twitches over the contract.

"No tricks." He spoke calmly, before reaching for the contract before him. A small ripple of blue energy flowed through it and suddenly the contract came alive again. All three languages suddenly warped, shifted, and moved across the page until the wording reflected the discussion perfectly. The runes heading and footing the document pulsed with energy, before subsiding once the contract was set. At the bottom, room for Drytail's own pawprint.

"Perhaps, Lord Drytail, you would like a demonstration of what it's like to have two living weapons on side? I know tales of Dreadlords reach the Underdark, but I can't imagine any people have truly witnessed it." He smiled placidly. Ashur did not overly enjoy combat, but he knew it was necessary sometimes. It was, after all, the reason he'd given Zana for coming here.

Zana suppressed the shudder that ran down her spine when she leaned over the table, almost having to stand to reach him, and his paw pressed against the flesh of her palm. Her eyes went white at the first contact. There was no amount of glamour that would be able to hide that fact, nor the subtle ripple of power that dripped from the air itself as the vision gripped her violently. It was a storm that rushed through her and she struggled to keep up with the fast pace her magic set her. There was a myriad of different images and possibilities but a few reoccurred a few times over and over. It was usually a sign that was the most likely avenue their future would take.

Her grip has tightened somewhat on the rats paw but as the vision and thus the pain left her she let go with a rush of breath, the colour returning to her eyes once more. Despite the wracks of agony currently coursing through her body her face was an impassive mask. It had been a tough things to learn how to do but in situations such as this it was prudent.

"One favour will be to ask for the use of your tunnels with no fear of ambush or attack from your people, the other favour will be a life," her tone was flat and thus the words probably sounded a little ominous but they were spoken truthfully. When Ashur then made a further comment about the prowess of the Dreadlords she resisted the urge to shoot him a look; they both knew he was not a combatant which again meant her. Zana tried not to grind her teeth.

"You can have a demonstration then name your favours also, then we shall decide if it is agreeable."

Skavius Drytail waited with apprehension for their hands to touch, not knowing what would happen but certain that something would. His chin had begun to quiver in anticipation, and when the dreadlord's hand finally met his he felt... nothing.

He didn't see or feel a thing. She, on the other hand, was stone silent and still for some time. The favors were... quite reasonable. Drytail took a moment to regather himself before answering.

"Uh, a-yes, yes, that will be... manageable. Of course, any outsiders in my realm shall be monitored, but you can be sure that no violence will come to you or your people if I can prevent it... provided that they stay in line." He retracted his hand and turned it over, looking at it with his dark and tiny eyes. "A life is easy enough, depending on which one you desire, but I must confess, I would think the dreadlords would need no assistance in murder! Gaha ha!" he rippled once more, the animation returning to his voice.

"Please, proceed with the demonstration. Let's see what Vel Anir has truly lent me."

They would be able to go just about anywhere for the demo. Another room in the hold, perhaps, or another tunnel outside. Drytail would of course prefer not to have his territory damaged, but if the show were spectacular enough, most property (and lives) could be replaced.

• Popcorn
Ashur-Kahn smiled wryly and caught a glance from Zana. No doubt his accomplice would expect him to sit and watch as she slaughtered her way through the rival faction, but that was not his way. He was a Dreadlord, his magic was useful and despite his rank, it was convenience more than anything that saw him as a Fourth instead of a First. Politicking at its finest, with many advantages.

"Point us in the direction of the rival faction, I assure you, you will not be disappointed." He spoke calmly, his voice betraying none of the excitement he felt before a battle. It had been a long time and he felt his fingers flex instinctively. His arm draped to his side and brushed against the hilt of his Khopesh.

He rose from his seat, gesturing Drytail to lead the way.

"We cannot be in as many places at once as the rous can," was Zana's only reply to Drytails comment on the need for another to commit a murder on their behalf. It also couldn't be a Dreadlord for this particular assassination; that much had been clear to her. They would need an enemy to pin the blame on and the rat folk seemed good enough candidates. She went back to looking bored though it was truthfully her way of hiding just how tired she was after the effort of the visions. She waited for the other two men to stand before she did. Her hands pressed down on the arms of the chair and she used them to steady herself for a second or two before following after them.

"Is it just other rous you face problems with?"
her head tilted to the side, curious of what other enemies a rat might have.

Lord Drytail was visibly excited. A terrible smirk had creased his face at the thought of the raw power he had been gifted for this encounter. Yes, there were conditions associated, and strict ones at that, but considering the people he was dealing with he had come out much more favorably than expected. The contract that had initially concerned him was started to look more and more like a benefit, for it ensured that these surface-dwellers could not demand more of him after his obligations were fulfilled. He could delegate the control of Anirian activities to one of his generals, they would be able to monitor the flow of crime in the region and make sure that important areas did not suffer too much, and surely one of them would also be able to coordinate with the humans and their "tips."

He pushed himself to his feet with an audible grunt and wheeze of effort, and his bodyguards stepped in closer, ready to catch him should he lose his footing. Drytail remained upright, however, and began to stride out of the room. Despite his absurd proportions he moved with purpose and it was immediately clear to any who saw him that he was someone important.

"Come!" he beckoned to his new allies. "We will lead you there," the tunnels were extraordinarily complicated even for residents, and should these two newcomers head out on their own they would surely be lost forever. Truthfully, Drytail did not want them to learn how to navigate in his realm. They were a valuable asset, and his guides would take them where he wanted them to go. He did not, however, want them to begin wandering around where they didn't belong...

As they exited they met a small company of his "soldiers." The only thing that marked them as such was the ratio of metal to rags that they wore, although not all of them had any actual armor. One had affixed a rather heavy-looking mixing bowl to his head with string. Their faces showed they were ruthless fighters, though, and their weapons, although poorly kept, would do well enough. A small hunch-backed rous began to lead them through the tunnels.

"Oh no, lass," Drytail answered to Zana. "The rous are the least troublesome, as many are loyal to me at this point. No no, it is the others that give me the most trouble. They see us as less than vermin, you see. No respect at all for our honest expansion." He grinned a yellow and jagged smile to the woman. "Woodtongue is a... human, I believe. Ah, but, not like you." He quickly covered. "He is a foul, contemptible man who has slaughtered my people as we attempt to, eh, stabilize the area. With him gone, and my capable leadership, the tunnels here will thrive."

The guide lead them to a wide-open cave. It stretched so far that the opposite end was shrouded in darkness, and the stalactites on the ceiling were just visible. Within it was a shanty-town of sorts surrounding a rather tall and lop-sided structure. It was stone... mostly... but bits of wood, metal, and cloth were draped across it in a pattern that suggested many repairs had been necessary over the years. The twisting streets held the usual underworld rabble, but more imposing figures wearing yellow sashes across their chests pushed and frisked the others.

"Woodtongue's fortress," Drytail said with distaste. "We have lead warbands to its base, but regrettably, its walls are too thick to breach, and enemy soldiers are well hidden within the slums. Most of his army should be engaging with mine some distance east of here, a rather ingenious distraction of my own design, but the elite guard never leaves his side." He pointed to a lone figure that wore a heavy black helmet in addition to a yellow sash. The visor had been molded into a gruesome face.

"If you can clear a path for my troops, and offer Woodtongue to me alive, I will consider our agreement finalized."

As Drytail lead them out of his keep, Ashur tried to make note of the various tunnels, alleys, walkways and corridors they passed through. Yet, for all his merits, even he was unable to keep tally of the various twists, turns and sudden dead-ends that seemed to make up this labyrinthian structure. He sighed, he did not enjoy being defeated, but it made him consider that, perhaps, Drytail was a worthy ally. The Rous had, it seemed, either chosen a deliberately difficult route to disorientate the Dreadlords or, indeed, built such a thing to confuse all enemies. Impressive.

Ashur paused for a moment. He had not considered he would be waging war against another human. His limited research into the background of wood tongue had confirmed he was particularly unpleasant, yet nothing had come up regarding his race. He shrugged, only the worst of humanity dared escaped to the Underrealm and called it home. He knew that whoever this fellow was, he was likely avoiding justice elsewhere in Arethil.

Thankfully, the Anirian duo was here to deliver such justice. Without wanting to cause alarm, Ashur withdrew his Khopesh and over the course of a few moments, his free arm started to glow a beautiful white. He smiled, dimming the magic in his arm as he considered thoughtfully how best to tackle this fortress.

"Ania, do you remember Proctor Ayber?" He did not turn as he addressed her. The aforementioned individual was one of the lesser proctor's of the Academy. She was a fourth-level who taught rune-magic, a discipline that many of his peers considered worthless and irrelevant. Ashur, however, had always found that such a controlled and uniformed approach to magic was rather appealing.

"I believe her exercise in the cherry orchard might be relevant here." He smiled. The woman would always bring a small contingent of students into a copse of trees and have them fight amongst each other whilst trying to burn down the most trees with runes.

Ashur turned to face Drytail. "I assume you don't need this fortress to be standing? Do we have your permission to destroy it in our capture of woodtongue?" He spoke levelly. He knew the task wouldn't be as simple as setting it alight - Drytail would have tried that if it had - yet it was worth asking. For all he knew, Drytail wished to move bases once woodtongue was out of the picture.

Last edited: