Open Chronicles Dangerous Seas Traveled...

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Kjaran Mak Aodha

Sigfrith looked up, face impassively blank at the other whittler who approached, critiquing his skill. Yet, this was a human barely able to carve a straight wooden quill from a slightly bent stick.

"These are runes, lad," Sigfrith growled, "And if you want them to work, they must be complete." He leaned over and traced the part that the newcomer had asked about. "These are runes of joining that bind the mast to each of the planks at the base here and each plank to the other."

He caught himself before he started rambling on about the nature of runes. "The complexity ensures that the vessel acts as one object rather than many smaller ones bound together. You do not want the mast coming off of the ship now, do you?"

Kjaran laughed, "I can see why dwarves don't sail much. Just because it's not made out of stone or metal doesn't mean it'll break" he said. He gave the mast a thump, "Good solid wood that is. Not just because you carved some nice pictures on it".

He stuffed his own butchered whittling attempt into a pouch. "Runes" he repeated, trying to mimic the dwarf's accent, "So how do they work then?". He stared at one picture with a frown before snapping his fingers as an idea came to him. "Actually you've been at it a while, show us a couple there and I'll give a hand, you'll have them done in no time!".

Raigryn could feel the underlying magical pressure shifting under the binding runes. He turned to face the dwarf as he went about his work. He had been mildly distracted watching the alluringly tanned woman at the helm and regretting not being a younger man.

"What do you think.is going to snap a ship's mast?" he mused. "A team of pirates going to leap on over with a saw?" He heard of them trying to use a ballista to fire chains to crack a mast, but it had been something of a failure.

"You know how a tree bends in the wind instead of holding firm and snapping? If you're not an engineer of seafaring vessels it might be wise not to overdo your magical binds."

Raigryn smiled faintly and watched. He doubted he would be listened to. From the perspective of everyone else he was not an expect in either ships or magic. That was the problem with people, they didn't listen any more. Humans were usually the worst in that respect, but there was little that could match the stubbornness of a dwarf with his mind set.

“What do you think is going to snap a ship’s mast?” Raigryn Vayd mused.

The port fell below the horizon before the sun did. Since leaving the docks, seagulls danced around the Asherah’s Ruby. Their caws along with the wind filled the air.

Kyver delved into the ship. His eyes took a few seconds to adjust to the dim lamplight. Upon examination, Kyver discovered that these were magic fueled lamps – a luxury on a ship.

Where’s the mage, then?” Kyver asked beneath his breath.

Walking around the halls, Kyver found the barracks and a few store rooms. Eventually, he found the canteen. A burly orc toiled away at a boiling pot. Kyver sat down at one of the bench tables.

Opening his mouth, Kyver seemed as if he was going to speak to the cook. Before words could escape his mouth, unusual popping echoes could be heard belowdeck.

And abovedeck, the seagulls had disappeared and only the wind remained.

Kjaran Mak Aodha Sigfrith Runecarver Gal Aalina Eder Valdyna Weiroon Savei

Valdyna Weiroon | Kjaran Mak Aodha | Raigryn Vayd | Sigfrith Runecarver | Gal | Kyver

Aalina could hardly hold back the smirk with respect to the comment of her blade. The longsword she carried was a fine piece of steel, forged by her own hands back home in Alliria many years ago. It was plain in appearance, no fancy ornate carvings or runes, no sigil or crest, and no unique markings. The only feature of the blade was its sharpness, arguably the only aspect that mattered in her eyes.

Her father was a well respected smith, commissioned more than once by the Allirian Watch for weapons and armor. She too had learned the craft. Perhaps one day she might return and take over when her father was too old and decrepit to swing a hammer.

For now though she simply nodded in agreement to Gal. "Suppose'n it does."

Though one could argue the armor was a nice touch in the foreboding aspect. "Does take a bit of work takin' off. Not quite as simple's a maiden's dress. A second pair ah hands does make't easier. Faster too than doing it alone, that's f'sure."

Valdyna watched silently as others moved around the boat, and spoke to one another.

At the mast, there was a group all but harassing a dwarf working on the mast. It almost seemed comical, but Valdyna knew that her knowledge of ships paled to many on board, so she didn't want to intrude.

Then the gulls fell silent. A pall of tension filled the air, and goosepimples spread across her arms.

She sat up suddenly, sliding from the box to her feet, and looked around. Shore was still in sight behind them, but there were no gulls. Valdyna wasn't a truly savvy sailor, but on every trip she had taken with her family, the gulls were constant long past the sight of land.

She looked to Gal and raised an eyebrow.

"Is it normal for the gulls to flee so close to shore?" She asked, looking to Aalina Eder as well, pulling up a specific spell that would save the armored woman if she fell in, but hesitated in casting it. There were balances to magic, and the spell would make her essentially without mass unless she could localize it to the armor. That would make her attacks far less effective. "Master Guardswoman, if we get into trouble a'fore you can doff your armor, make sure I am by your side."

At her sides, her fingers flexed as she readied for trouble that she didn't truly know was there.

• Yay
Reactions: Sauvan and Gal
Sigfrith looked up, eyes shadowed beneath his brows. "Dragons. Sea-monsters. Who knows what threats might lie beneath the waves in seas untravelled." He shifted to look at the man. "It takes years to learn rune-lore. Your kind's lives are too short for me to teach."

He paused after a moment as sounds emerged from belowdecks and set down his chisel. "What was that?" His hand drifted to his axe that hung on his belt, and he stood to his full height. "And truly, I second the question of my fellow mage."

Something prickled in his beard and he squinted at the water. With a sharp gesture, he pulled the axe from his belt and rested it on his shoulder.

"Such peculiarities are why I bind the mast. I have no desire to die of lack of water if it ever breaks."

Kjaran Mak Aodha Raigryn Vayd Kyver Valdyna Weiroon Aalina Eder

Gal clicked her tongue and puffed out blue smoke through her nose. “Relass, folk.” She flashed a sharp grin at the assembly of worried expressions. “Gulls prob’ly jus’ seen a fish o’ some sort. Dey be likin’ food, see?”

Her black gaze flicked back to the runecarver. “Das why we ‘ave two, dwarf.”

With that she resumed tuning her senses to the Ruby’s helm, eyes closed so that she could feel the movement of the ship across the waves. A brigantine, however fancy and rich, was still a good ol’ brigantine – she’d grown up on the rig, could sail it with a crew of five and four of them landlubbers.

Time passed differently with the glint of mage-light on the oily sea, with the distant coast reduced to a formless succession of hills and valleys crowding the port horizon. She reckoned it was about the fifth candlemark since their departure that the first glimmer of Garramarisma appeared in the south.

But much, much closer were the quiet shapes that bade the lookout call out in the first place.

“Sail three points off starboard bow!” There was a pause that in Gal’s experience meant much squinting was being done.

When the voice echoed over the deck next, it was more urgent still, and louder to boot. “Pirates!”

Valdyna Weiroon | Kjaran Mak Aodha | Raigryn Vayd | Sigfrith Runecarver | Aalina Eder | Kyver

Kjaran squinted at the design, he was sure he could replicate it roughly enough though he couldn't guarantee the lines would be straight. Any further discussion on woodcarving came to a halt with the call from the crow's nest. He listened with ears pricked before the baleful warning came.

"Oh gods" he groaned, straightening his back and loosening his shoulders. He began to stretch with a few grumbles, pacing the deck. "I've learnt the hard way that my back will hate me tomorrow if I don't do this" he said to no one in particular.

He half drew his sword from his scabbard and touched the metal for luck. "Here we go again". With luck they might outrun her. Without it, there'd be a melee on the pitching deck of the ship.

Gal Valdyna Weiroon Raigryn Vayd Sigfrith Runecarver Aalina Eder Kyver