Dreadlords Coming For The Crown

Threads open to all members of the Dreadlords group

Mieri

One Punch Knockout
Character Biography
Link
The Siege of Trien - Formerly Vel Trien

Mieri stood at full attention within the midst of her fellow Initiate's, all of them arrayed in neat lines as the city and the Anirian warcamps lay out ahead of them.

The siege had been ongoing for nearly three weeks now. Some of them had been here from the beginning, others had only trickled in during the last day or so. No one was saying why the Initiate's were being brought to the nearly finished battle, nor was answering any questions about why they had been gathered at attention in the training yard.

"That all of them?" A surly looking Major asked one of his Lieutenants who answered only with a simple nod.

Mieri's guess was they were preparing for the final assault. Though if that was the case, where were all the actual Dreadlords? She knew some were around, she'd seen them in the camp, but...none had been gathered here. Only Initiates.

Huh. Weird.

"LISTEN UP YOU LOUTS!" The Major's voice suddenly boomed, and Mieri found herself instantly snapping to attention. Training beaten into her taking hold. "Trien is almost done. The city is all but on it's knees, and this morning the so called 'King' sent his envoys to talk of surrender."

The King of Trien was actually just some councilor who had declared himself a Monarch. The city wasn't a large one, but the mines in the nearby mountains made it an important one. "Negotiations have begun."

So not an assault? Probably some boring lesson on having to take part in diplomacy then. Unconsciously, Mieri deflated a little. Suddenly disappointed in the waste of an afternoon.

"Archon Pollux has decided this makes for an opportunity." The Major's voice changed slightly, making it obvious that he did not approve of what he was about to say. He stared out over the Initiate's, taking in each one of them. "I don't much like sending children into a warzone, even less so for some fuckall no matter mission. But the Archon, in all of his wisdom has made his request and unfortunately in this fucked up command structure I can no longer say no to him."

Mieri's head turned to the side, like a dog who had been spoken to using it's favorite word. Her intrigue entirely focused on the complaining Major. "You all are to enter the city, before the surrender, and capture the Kings crown."

"How you do it, in what teams or the method doesn't matter."
The Major chewed the words, clearly not liking the idea of this 'mission'. "Whoever hands the Crown to the Archon by dawn tomorrow wins. Simple as that. Those are your orders, starting..."

The pugilist had to keep herself from bouncing, a wide grin on her face as the Guardsmen looked down at his watch, and then made a clear motion to begin. "Now, but on't get yourselves killed!"

He shouted. "Alright? Not worth it over some trinket. Just show your best an-"

Before the Major could even finish his sentence Mieri shot off like a rocket. One second she was standing in line with the next she disappeared, magic rushing through her as she darted towards her tent in an instant. Intent on retrieving her pack, and then heading directly towards the city. That crown would be hers.

Kristen stood there as but the memory of Mieri remained. Other Initiates of the formation standing before the Major made like Mieri, brimming with haste and setting off without a moment's delay, and others were more like Kristen, of the slower approach. Though for Kristen personally, to say she had an approach at all in that moment would have been generous. Truly, she stood there baffled, unable as of yet to reckon with what she had heard from the Major.

What...was the purpose behind this? Kristen had arrived at the Siege of Trien in such time that she only had a week's worth of waiting before the Major's announcement today. Proctor Magomo had been dubious about the whole prospect of her coming here, scoffing and saying "Trien will likely be Vel Trien again by the time you get there, Initiate Pirian," but ultimately he decided that the chances were good enough to send her and perhaps get her some experience with how the Guard conducted its sieges.

What Proctor Magomo couldn't have anticipated was Archon Pollux (though if he could have he likely would've have been so tepid on the whole prospect of this). Kristen herself couldn't have anticipated the Archon. To what end did this...game, yes, game, there was no better way to describe it, it was exactly like the game put on by Dreadlord Elouise Libelle over a year ago...to what end did it serve? Especially when the city's resistance was all but over? It all seemed so foolhardy and needless!

Nevertheless, Kristen inevitably took her first few steps, these with a gingerly quality about them.

"Well...I suppose there is no quarter for arguments to the contrary," Kristen muttered to herself as she started slowly toward the Anirian warcamp and the city of Trien beyond.

Yes. Slow and steady would be her motto. Caution her watchword. Mieri, for her part, seemed quite enthusiastic, and it was all well and good by Kristen's lights if Mieri or some other speedy Initiate snatched the crown before her. Kristen's primary concern would just simply be to ensure, as best she could, that harm did not befall her nor Trien's defenders by her hand—Blessed Aionus, they were enemy combatants today, but soon enough they wouldn't be! No one wanted to be the last man or woman to die in a war.

Could she include her fellow Initiates behind this aegis of protection? She didn't know. Many of them would scoff at her for even having such notions as she did (right after they got done scorning any potential interventions of aid). And she didn't even want to think about what they might be willing to do to one another to wrest that Crown from a fellow Initiate's grasp.

Mieri

• Yay
Reactions: Mieri and Mariana
Mariana tried to stand at as much of attention as the other, older initiates. The best she gave was a half-slouch. It was clear she didn't want to be here. But it was by Proctor Palahniuk's hand that she was. He'd told her, 'if you could survive those mad cows you could survive a city about to surrender. Good for you, kid. If you have even a modicum of talent that your brother does, you'll be more than fine.'

Mariana didn't ask but what if she didn't?

Also, there weren't many other younger initiates like her here. Not that she was an initiate. She was still just checking things out to see if she even wanted to go to the Academy. So far it was a hard PASS.

That was weird-but anyway she was hungry again. And BORED. Everyone here just liked to talk and talk and talk she began to imagine the major's head like a fluffy cloud about to float up and away from his shoulders just like that cloud shaped like Luna the Pig up there.

She blinked as everyone dispersed.

Something about a crown. Going to the city. Basically a field trip?

Idk.

At least she wasn't wearing the oversized, loud clanking armor like last time. Hands shuffled the pack on her small shoulders as she trundled ahead, catching one of the girl's talking to herself. A poke into the older girl's side. Kristen Pirian

"Hey, can I have one of your extra rations? I'm hungry. Also, who're you talking to?" Head swiveled as if she could spot the non-being.

Last edited:
So this was a test. They were here for that and nothing more. Varian kept at the back of the group of ambitious initiates; his arms kept crossed, accompanied by a slouched posture. His attire was light, with a sleeveless tunic that hugged tightly against his form, almost like a second skin with pants of a matching color. His clothing looked more ceremonial than it did battle ready.

He digested the information granted but saw little purpose to the command issued other than to hone the skills of the initiates there. Perhaps this was why one of the proctors in the academy saw it fit to have him travel here. With the dismissal of their group Varian was quick to retreat into the familiar territory of deep thinking, mulling over a strategy to acquire the crown, taking a slow pace as opposed to rushing in like other initiates.

It needed to be efficient, with as little time as possible to complete the objective. Varian recalled the little details he could regarding the city, focusing primarily on its defenses. If they were of mundane means, then it would be of little effort to bypass them. But he knew tests such as this would be anything but simple.

As he dwelt more into his thoughts, that large frame of his bumped into both Mariana and Kristen. Varian took a reflexive step back as his throat tightened.

"My mistake...I was too caught up to notice where I was going." Considering the circumstance, he shook his head, almost deciding to bolt off just like that other initiate.

Kristen Pirian Mariana Mieri

Mieri was at her small tent before any of the other Initiates even stepped ten meters from the line they had been assembled on.

Practically buzzing, the little Dreadlord to be grabbed her bag and began to throw everything she would need into it. Talking to herself in gleeful mirth as she packed. "Gloves for punchin', Hoodie for disguin', Rope for climbin', annnnnnd grappling hook for ho-"

A frown touched her lips.

"Where...wheres my grappling hook?!" She demanded of no one in particular, throwing around her bed mat, shifting her sleeping bag, and not finding the metal edged hook anywhere in her little tent. A string of curses echoed passed her lips.

She thought about Trien for a while, frowning and wondering if she could jump over the large wall that protected the peninsula city. "Too tall, I'd wear myself out..."

Mieri said, still only talking to herself.

"I could swim..." She mused, but instantly thought of all those soldiers still waiting to fill anyone approaching with arrows. At least against the wall she'd have cover.

After a moment, her frown flickered up into a smile. With her pack thrown onto her shoulder, she darted out of the tent and went rushing through the camp. Frantically she searched, eyes flickering back and forth until she found the trio of already gathered compatriots. "Varian!"

She called out, ignoring Kristen and the girl she'd never seen before. "You're big and strong, I think we can help each other!"

"W-What? Oh. Oh, certainly," Kristen said to Mariana. She didn't know the other girl's name, and surely hadn't seen her likeness about the Academy (a conspicuous character, what with those bright colors, shouldn't she have noticed her before?). Nevertheless, she had been caught slightly off guard by her, mostly because the vast swath of Initiates were...how to put it charitably?...of a goal-oriented mindset, with no time for talking.

Kristen waved off the question of who she was talking to after handing one of her wrapped ration packs over to Mariana. "You need not mind it. I was merely lamenting to myself over the—"

Reckless would have been the next word she'd have spoken, if not for having been bumped into from behind by Varian. The Metal Man, or Man of Steel, so some have taken to calling him, though of what else could be known of him Kristen wasn't privy, for she wasn't overly familiar.

"Oh, no harm," Kristen said to him. "At least you've—"

Varian!

Kristen flinched. If there was one thing about Mieri that everyone knew, it was that she had a hearty set of lungs on her alright. Kristen had been prepared to make a comment on Varian's seeming forbearance against haste, but, if Mieri was petitioning for his attention, it wouldn't be long before he would be rushed into some haphazard circumstance, would it? Blessed Aionus, what a miracle if every Initiate made it out of this perilous contest unscathed!

Kristen stepped aside from Varian and Mieri, allowing them to conspire together. To Mariana she asked, "I do not believe we've been properly introduced. I am Kristen Pirian. May I have your name?"

Mieri Mariana Varian Armata

• Yay
  • Smug
The young Krixus took the ration packet and unwrapped a corner, taking a very careful sniff before she took a bite. Mmmmmmm. She didn't know why she was always hungry. Perhaps because she'd eaten so little since running away from the orphanage. Since growing up on the streets and traveling from town to town until her fate changed in Vel Lameus.

She nearly dropped the sweet bit of food when some larger man...why was she blushing?!?!?! Ewww. Boys. Bumped into her and Kristen.

A sharp glare with her Krixus blue eyes up, up, up at the other, older initiate. And for a moment, she got lost in a daydream of how she'd draw and paint his muscles. Varian Armata

Was she drooling?

Brightly highlighted haired, head shook as she turned her attention back to Kristen, ignoring the weird, loud girl. Mieri

"I'm Mariana. My brother, Alistair, says it probably isn't wise to share all details with other initiates but I don't know why. I've heard a lot of stories about you. You and him have gone on a lot of missions, right?"

Varian jolted, shoulders tensing at the loud call of his name. He scratched the back of his head, tilting to glance at Mieri. It wasn't all bad to be noticed; if he could aid another initiate and perhaps keep them from harm, then all the better.

"What did you have in mind, Mieri, right?" The name came to him just in time. The question wasn't an outright yes, but it wasn't a declination of her offer either. "I would prefer to make this quick. Through the walls, perhaps, if you wouldn't mind the potential of falling debris."

He turned to Kristen and the other, someone he had yet to meet and seemed starved, given her expression. Varian glanced back to Mieri before darting back to the others. An idea sprang in his mind. "Sorry to barge in on your conversation. But maybe working together as a team of four would be the best course of action? Of course, after your friend, there eats her ration. I apologize for interrupting your meal as well....er?" His words trailed off, not at all familiar with Mariana.

Mieri Mariana
Kristen Pirian

"Mieri, Mimi, The Meerkat." She said with a click of her tongue and a shrug. "Whatever's clever, doesn't matter."

Mieri had never much been particularly concerned with what people called her. Mostly because she hardly paid attention unless there was something interesting going on. She glanced over towards Kristen and the…new girl, wondering briefly of they too could help her.

Though she was weary of teaming up a bit too much, this was a competition after all.

"Woah woah woah." She said with a stifling of her hands, signaling Varian to slow down before he included the whole camp in what she was sure would be a perfect plan. "Well…wait…"

The walls were still defended, meaning soldiers atop would still try to stop them from getting in. Maybe adding a few extra targets to the mix wouldn't be so bad. At least they could provide some cover. "Right, fine, but I don't think we should go through the walls."

From her pack she pulled out the length of rope.

"We go over." She bounced her eyebrows. "I'm small, you're big, give me a running start and then you…"

She made a chucking motion. "Then I tie the rope off and you can make your way over too."

Mutual benefit, though once inside Mieri would be gunning for that crown.

My brother, Alistair...

Kristen glanced around as if in alarm, blinking rapidly, before turning her gaze back onto Mariana, such was the level of her surprise. My brother! She didn't know Alistair had a sister! Though, perhaps she ought to have anticipated this; Alistair wasn't particularly the type to be forthcoming with (what he would view to be) extraneous details about things unless directly asked about it.

"Y-Yes, we have. Pardon my shock, but...I just...wow...I never knew Alistair—"

Varian, after some counsel with Mieri, petitioned for their attention then, and Kristen glanced to him. Oh no, Mieri was already planning on diving straight in to Trien. She'd not heard the exchange between Mieri and Varian, so she had no idea if the latter was a tempering or exacerbating force on Mieri's impatient tendencies.

Kristen held up her hands as if in a plea, looking from Varian to Mieri, and said, "Should we not slow down? Haste courts disaster, and this whole endeavor is...is...foolish to begin with! Yes, foolish, no matter if it originates from an Archon! Even the Major is opposed to this silly idea."

Mariana Varian Armata Mieri

"Mffryyana," she said, her mouth half full of the ration, her big blue eyes looking up at THE BOY WHO WAS TALKING TO HER. She swallowed. Then to the loud girl.

Mimi!

Then to Kirsten.

Y-Yes, we have. Pardon my shock, but...I just...wow...I never knew Alistair—

"Wait. You have gone on missions but you never knew Alistair?" Older kids were confusing sometimes. Blue eyes crossed on her face for a moment, brown scrunching up in furious thought that quickly erased as she took another bite of food that was...well, not as yummy as the stuff she pulled from the bins of Vel Lameus. Vel Lamus was one of the foodie meccas in all of Vel Anir but still. She couldn't believe their ration packs at this Academy that her brother really wanted her to go to had food worse than what was found in the trash THERE.

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Eyes flickered back to Mimi. "I can get us through the walls," she shrugged as if it was the most obvious and easy thing in the world. "I can just draw us a door and we can go through."

Another munch-much of food.

She wondered if the city had any good art shops.

"Pleasure to meet you?" Varian tilted his head, flinching as if anticipating food particles to hit him as she spoke. His confusion soon subsided, however, as she mentioned being able to create a door, blue eyes widening.

"That...would be the best course of action if you can manage it! Thank you, Mifryana." That was the name he heard when she spoke. He turned to Kristen, explaining the initial draft of his plan. The conversation between the two flew right over his head around. "I was thinking of forming a sizeable hole into a spot on the wall for use to walk through and spearhead straight to the castle. But looking back at it, it would've brought unwarranted attention."

"I could do that. But maybe we should try the subtle approach first. If it doesn't work, I am more than capable of getting everyone over the wall." Varian's gaze shifted back to Mieri. They had a multitude of options, and this was good. Having more than one way to tackle this situation meant they were prepared for more scenarios should they come out compared to if they were to shoulder this task alone.

Mieri Kristen Pirian Mariana

"Slow down?!" Mieri parroted in disbelief.

She couldn't even fathom the idea.

"Why would we slow down?!" The Initiate asked, glancing towards Varian and giving him a look that might have said 'can you believe this chick?'. "You don't win a competition by slowing down, Kristenm you win by barrelling forward and running into every obstacle until they're out of your way."

Mieri smiled, as if she'd just dolled out the key to life, and then whirled on the pipsqueak who was still munching away. An arm slipping around her as she practically shoved Mariana forward and towards the wall.

Enough talk! The others were probably up and over the wall well on their way to the palace. They didn't have time to stand around and chit chat how they were going to go about this. "Great! Same deal, you get me through and then we'll all split up."

She said, leaving off what she was actually bringing to the table in this arrangement.

The excitable little Initiate pushed forward, not caring if Varian and Kristen actually followed along. She was smiling wide even as they approached the front-lines. Deep trenches had been dug all opposite the wall of the great city, filled with Guardsmen standing watch or catching what little shut-eye they could. A few of them looked up as the Initiates passed by.

"Watch out for the south Tower!' One shouted. "They got an archer there, great shot."

A few chuckles went up, but Mieri only offered a happy salute. "Will do!"

She called, though clearly not checking the direction they were heading in.

Wait. You have gone on missions but you never knew Alistair?

As it was, the whirlwind of the conversation swept right past this, and Kristen, to her dismay, was left having given Mariana a false impression of herself and Alistair. Would there be time for a correction later? The present haste suggested no, but this hazardous game had to be won by somebody, and then all would come to a conclusion.

Mieri was not too enthused by Kristen's suggestion. Kristen frowned back. What could she do? Mieri was the catalyst for all this reckless impulsivity, this wanton abandonment of caution in a pointless endeavor, and she was obstinate about rushing headlong into a fully hostile city. By herself, mayhap, even if Varian and Mariana by some miracle were to change their minds here and now.

And off Mieri went.

Kristen made a pensive face. Well...some perfunctory effort was called for; despite all of her misgivings, this was the assignment laid down before her, and it crossed no moral lines, just—in her opinion—lines of common sense. And Varian made a persuasive point, that working together as a team would be better than working alone—especially in Mieri's case. Gods, Kristen was loath to see the girl get hurt because Archon Pollux wanted, what, some amusement?

As Kristen hurried along in Mieri's wake, she had to vent. Had to vent to someone. And Varian was right there.

"If there was some driving necessity to which we were crucial, some clear duty to which we were called, then I would not hesitate. My haste would match Mieri's own. But this!" She sounded exasperated. "This is inane! Our own chain of command was rocked by turmoil, and this is the result. What...what can we even do?"

Mieri Varian Armata Mariana

• Gasp
Reactions: Mariana
Mariana smiled wide at Varian. He was oddly polite. She quickly looked away as Miera began pushing her like herding a little sheep back toward the paddock. She managed to duck her smaller form away from a second shove.

"Mimi you are more excited than I am for dinner." She pre-teen explained as she trundled along, Krixus' blue gaze glancing at the top of the walls then back to Kristen.

This is inane! Our own chain of command was rocked by turmoil, and this is the result. What...what can we even do?

"You say a lot of words but we can always go do something else after I draw on the wall," little Mariana suggested not yet understanding hierarchy or chain of command or orders. Really any of it. She was just here trying things out, after all.

There was a sudden whoosh-whooshing sound as multiple arrows began flying through the air toward them. They'd all walked south without realizing it. Mariana quickly scurried behind who she thought would block the most of the arrows. Clearly the strongest and tallest initiate.

And the cutest.

Varian Armata

Varian remained silent, shaking his head at Mieri's statement. Perhaps this was a competition, but even if it was, that innate desire to protect made it difficult for him to strike it out on his own. He would do his best to keep up with her while maintaining pace with the other two. He made it his mission for everyone here to come out alive.

"I don't think this assignment has a practical reason." He said to Kristen, lips thinning with a slight shake of his head. "Like many of our tasks, this seems to be another assessment made to gauge or hone our skills. But that is just a hunch. I'm not privy to anything the nobles and higher-ups scheme up."

He heard the whistling of the arrows just as Mariana hid behind him. Blue eyes flashed momentarily as the ground molded under his weight; Varian's body shifted entirely from flesh and bone to a form composed of metal, not unlike steel.

The arrows toward him glanced away, not even a scratch on his now silver body, sighing in exasperation as they did so. He grabbed a wooden wall improvised by the besiegers and lifted it over his head; it was large enough to shield the four of them without issue.

"Keep close; I shall move with haste. Stay beside me." His voice had a metallic grit, almost cold like an echo muffled by a steel helmet. He started a brisk walk closer to the walls, ensuring whoever wanted to keep cover underneath.

Mieri Mariana Kristen Pirian

”Kristen what are you talking about!” Mieri said with a laugh as they made their way towards the wall, shaking her head as if she couldn’t quite understand what the other Initiate was even trying to say.

”This is necessary.” Otherwise why would they be ordered to do it? Duh. And at least this was fun. ”It’s a test!”

She said as they walked, still being rather casual even as the soldiers on the wall began to take note of them. ”Isn’t it obvious? The Archon just wants to weed out the bozzos who can’t even get a simple crown.”

The first arrow was loosed, Mariana went scrambling, Mieri kept walking.

Instead she gestured with a thumb towards Varian. ”See! He knows. Bet whoever gets that crown is gonna get to do something really cool.”

Arrows came clattering down Mieri’s body began to move. Like liquid she wove through the shower of steel and wood, dancing through the swarm until Varian ripped free half a wooden wall and came to cover them. She patted him on the back, offering a quick word of thanks, and then huddled by his side.

”You shouldn’t take everything so seriously, Kristen.” She admonished from behind their Guardian. ”I mean you could try having a little fun.”

Much ado was stirred over Kristen's venting. Mariana seemed rather out of place, the irony of this thought not lost on Kristen, for she herself had very nearly suggested the same; Varian let not any personal feelings, whether specifically in favor or not, shape his opinion, one forged in the basis of realism and stark facts; Mieri had a simplistic, self-assured view of things, almost scornful, in fact, of Kristen's reservations, even if such scorn—if it did indeed exist—being delivered in most cheerful way possible.

The immediacy of the arrow shower ruled out the appropriateness, even the possibility, of adequate response. Now so in range of Trien's walls they were engaged in a soft commitment to the task before them. It wasn't too late to turn back, no, but...even though Kristen could (maybe even by some miracle convincing her fellows of it as well)...the bond of duty compelled her forward. Frankly, Kristen sided with the Major: this was a senseless mission. But her opinion of the competency of the mission was not a solid enough foundation for rightful disobedience, not when all the rest of the chain of command approved, however tepidly, of the Archon's task.

She didn't want to have cause to say "I told you so" to Mieri, to Varian, to Mariana, to anyone. She just wanted everyone to come back out of Trien in the same good health in which they entered.

Kristen moved in behind Varian and his improvised wooden aegis. Placed a hand on one shoulder and followed close. Thumps and thunks sounded as arrows imbedded into the broken wooden wall raised high as their shield.

"Behind you," she said.

The time for venting was over. Her doubtful opinions needed to be breathed no more.

Now was the time to act as a Dreadlord should.

Mieri Mariana Varian Armata

Last edited:
  • Yay
  • Smug
Mariana definitely couldn't help it. When his skin turned that strange silver she brought up a finger and poked the back of one of his arms.

Poke. Poke.

"Oh wow, that's reallycool. I meanyait's whatever."

No, it was FRICKEN AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And he didn't need to tell her twice to stay close. She followed him closer than a puppy on the streets finding its first treat.

”See! He knows. Bet whoever gets that crown is gonna get to do something really cool.”

Now lil' M was finally interested. Also Mimi could move really fast and stuff. There may have been a moment of starstruck in the pre-teen's eyes for the redhead as well. "Oh yeah? Like ride on an elephant kind of cool? Or eat the biggest chocolate cake kind of cool? Or paint a mural on your brother's house without getting in trouble kind of c---"

Behind you, she said.

Mariana threw herself to the ground as an arrow came at them from behind. Then she rolled in the grass until she bumped up against something. The wall! Fingers scrambled to dig out the piece of chalk of a few she always kept in her pockets.

Varian kept up the wooden covering, swiveling his head repeatedly to ensure he had everyone else covered. He did not mind the arrows as they stuck into the wood of his makeshift shield. Once at the base of the wall, Varian let Mariana do her thing, murmuring in amazement at how the painting came to reality.

Eventually, the defenders would mix, throwing large chunks of rubble onto Varian's covering. It did little to deter him, being only a mild annoyance, but he knew haste was necessary.

"Please hurry. I do not think this cover would be suitable for hot oil should they have any." Varian waited for the others to cross into the door. He would be the last to enter, following after them once everyone was safe from the pelting of rocks and arrows.

As they reached the wall, Mieri hunkered down beneath cover. Leaning against the well built fortification as arrows continued to rain down from above them. Rubble thudding against the makeshift stone shield a few times.

"Nah, it'll probably be something cooler." The initiate said to her pipsqueak companion, her eyes darting up for just a brief moment. Catching sight of an arrow piercing through the shield. It's barb sticking out a good inch from the wood. "Like."

She glanced down at Mariana, making sure that she was drawing that entrance. "Going to hunt a dragon, or maybe chasing down that Archon that took all the upperclassmen."

Mieri gestured to their metal companion.

"It's like Varian said." She reminded. "It's a test, and a test means they're squaring up our skills."

Which was enough for Mieri. She knew she wasn't the best In her grade, not even close, but she'd earned her place among the ranks of the Gilded Class. Even if she had to prove it with this stupid test.

"OIL!"​

The called went out from above, and almost immediately Mieris head shot up. She poked out from beneath the cover, seeing men fetch a large barrel. "Go go go!"

Mieri called to Mariana, urging the kid to draw faster.

It's a test, and a test means they're squaring up our skills.

In a basic and isolated sense, this was reasonable. Unfortunately the execution of this here in Trien by Archon Pollux left quite a lot to be desired. Beneath all matters of good sense and propriety, one might argue—certainly the Major would—that this was a gross abuse of power on the Archon's part.

All this informed the brief frown to Mieri Kristen wore in response. But here, under fire from the battlements above, soon to be threatened by boiling oil, was no longer the place to give voice to the case against this reckless venture.

When Mariana finished her drawing (what an astounding gift!), Kristen was if not the first then the second one through the queer magical door.

Awaiting them on the other side of the massive city wall, however, was one of the Trien soldiers. He had his manhood in his hand, whistling leisurely as he urinated in a shaded corner. He saw the Initiates coming through and in a state of baffled shock he said, "Who the hell are you?"

Kristen wasted no time—better to act now while he had his hand on the sword that wasn't sharp. She chanted a quick verse and Withering Chains burst from the ground and the wall and ensnared the soldier, sapping him of his strength such that he could barely stand. As his stream lost its force some urine sprinkled on his trousers and left a patchy trial of dark spots climbing up toward his groin.

Only then did Kristen truly grasp the awkwardness of the situation. Gods! She made a conscious effort not to look at the soldier's exposed nethers.

"Say not a word," Kristen warned. Even though they were the enemy, she was inclined to spare the common soldiers of Trien as much as she could, because even for them peace was but days away. Archon Pollux's asinine decree threatened the lives of more than just the Initiates forced to obey the order.

Mariana Varian Armata Mieri

"Okay but don't hesitate or you'll get stuck in the wall and then you will probably die," she barely finished the warning and the magical door before the flat drawing suddenly morphed into something real as if the stone had always had a strangely beautiful and short door always at this part of the wall.

"And hold your breath!"

She went last and nearly got her boot stuck as the door quickly went back to stone as they all were deposited onto the inside of the city. Where she got a facefull of something she knew her brother probably didn't want her to see for a long time.

Krixus-blue eyes widened and she squealed.

"Kristen can you at least cover IT?!"

Varian's ensured his covering was more than adequate, keeping it still and using his own body to help protect against the pouring oil. That was his initial plan, but an idea sprang into his mind just before they were ready to pour the heated liquid onto him and the others.

Like a discus, Varian took the wooden covering and launched it into the walls as it spun up high, crashing into the men preparing the oil. With a large crash and groan, the men were thrust backward into the middle of the battlements, the hot oil now spilling onto them instead of potentially on his fellow students.

He said little as he entered the drawn door, now come to life, bolting through to the other side with the rest.

"Which way is the quickest towards the throne room?" Varian asked, that metallic grate in his voice fading as his form reverted to its norm, his eyes trailing down to the neutralized guard with a shake of his head.

Mariana Mieri Kristen Pirian

”Ha!” Mieri said, pointing at the figure on the ground and offering Kristen a quick slap on the back. Her elbow jutting into the noble's side just a second later.

”That’s one way to make the mission more interesting.” The Initiate said, entirely ignoring Kristen’s warning to stay silent. Glancing back over her shoulder at Mariana as the pint-sized painter squealed her complaint. ”There’s nothing wrong with the human body!”

She objected.

”It’s beautiful and should be appreciated in all it’s forms.” Mieri lectured, turning back around just as Varian’s metallic grating echoed into the air.

”That’s easy big guy!” The Initiate said as she swept the leather jacket from her shoulders, throwing it conveniently, though not purposefully onto the guards nether regions. ”It’s a straight shot!”

Mieri said with a loud laugh, a clap of her hands, and then a whirl as she turned and slipped away from Kristen. Breaking into a full on sprint that saw her dash down the street and directly towards the palace looming in the distance.

Entirely intent on claiming that crown for herself.