Poll Character Mentions

How do you feel about mentioned in threads you're not in?

• I love all the mentions.

Votes: 33 86.8%
  • I would like being mentioned occasionally, but not too often.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Maybe being mentioned once by one character I've RP'ed with before, and that's it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My alerts are full enough as is, so I'd rather not be mentioned even if I would enjoy it.

• I'd rather not be mentioned at all.

• Total voters

VigiloConfido

Character Biography
Link
So this topic came up in the Discord, and I have been wondering about it for a while. How do you feel about being mentioned (@'ed) when your character is being thought about or discussed in a completely different thread by a character they have RP'ed with before? Or, depending on the circumstances, not RP'ed with directly before--but that is much rarer and more special case and takes more setup.

I, personally, love all the pings. I like how it feels when the lore seems deepened, when there is a definite echo of what happened in a previous thread being carried forth. It makes individual threads seem less isolated and more as part of a greater, interlocking tapestry. I think it's cool, on my end, to show how interactions with other people's characters have shaped, changed, and influenced my own characters whenever an appropriate opportunity presents itself. I also think it's cool if, say, your character is of a certain renown (because of their station in the world or because of some notable thing they have done), that other characters who you might not even expect could know of their story. Potential for future threads (that otherwise may never have happened) could even be spawned by these mentions, who knows.

But, I also fully recognize that pings could easily be seen as annoying. There have been many opportunities in the past that I could have @'ed someone to show that my character is thinking about theirs in some capacity, and simply decided not to because I thought it would be a bit tiresome or unwanted. It might even just be as simple as the other person having a lot of alerts to deal with regularly, and these sorts of mentions would just add to the clutter, even if they would otherwise like them.

What do you think?

I feel that if you want to inform them, you can always tell them personally if you hold correspondence. I "try" to keep good communication with all of my fellow rpers and use those channels to clarify when I use their character, even in memory, to how they feel it went down. The feeling is the same and it is a separate tab from the Alerts.

To me, regardless of the character I'm playing I think there's something cool about being mentioned by others especially if you've never met them. It equates to a certain amount of fame in my opinion so if people you've never met are mentioning any of your characters I'd say it means they are famous or well known in their own right.

I'd say the most well known examples of this would be Gerra or Maude. Both are the respective rulers of their own areas on the map so to me it makes sense that someone might mention them in some fashion without ever having actually met them.

There's an interesting implication here. Characters who are working with other characters are combining their user lore with yours in some respects. Getting mentioned by other characters in their lore is actually a great honor you put the work and effort into completing that thread with them I personally have been on sites where user lore literally does not matter.

That being said, I think this site is very good about user lore and it's own site lore. Being mentioned also reflects on hard work the community as a whole is putting in. To get mentioned by another character in their stories as a up and coming character is pretty cool in my book. I think it's a neat way to look at this.

• Yay
Reactions: VigiloConfido
I think it's fine! Irl sometimes you find yourself thinking about people you have met before, so this makes sense in rp too! I also think that it binds different storylines together in a way I really like, since this fantasy world is all overlapping and intertwined it makes sense for the characters to overlap in rp too.

• Yay
I love it, personally. Seeing one of my characters tagged in another thread makes them feel important.

• Yay