Open Chronicles Breaking Bread at the Knoll

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Helena

Captain of Dawn
Character Biography
Link
1643505049462.png[1]

It was a quieter day at the knoll, and Hector was glad that Roki was in charge of the meal prep today. "What's for lunch?" The young squire asked his orc counterpart.

1643448572238-png.492
[2]

Roki, normally bright eyed and energetic, seemed tired, and like he would rather be elsewhere. "Roast rabbit and roasted carrots with mashed tatters,"

"Again?"

The young ork crossed his arms. "Take it up with Marrowund, they're the one who has been assigned to hunting duty this week,"

Hector grumbled. "I'd rather not,"

Roki smirked. "Yeah me neither, she never seems too happy after hunt," he served up a plate, and grabbed a hot bun of bread with some wooden tongs before he placed it near the potatoes and offered it up to the young half-elf.

Hector nodded, took his plate. "Thanks Roki,"

"Don't mention it. See you at the forge later, yeah?"

Hector nodded, and went to find a seat. There were a few knights scattered about the tables, none that Hector recognized at first glance, but the day was bright and the sun poured through the oculus window that was at the peak of the mess hall's dome. A few of the long tables had room, so he went and sat down, glad to have some food to eat after a morning of training and more mundane duties. In the distance he saw a pair of Pursuants talking about something meant only for their ears. Their kit was complete, the Dawn's armor gleamed bright, while the Dusk's looked like gilded shadow. Weapons in sheaths, rested nearby and in hands reach. There was little joy in their expressions. And their hands moved in sharp gestures between bites of food.

Where would they go, Hector could not help but wonder. What horror would they fell, or what great deed would they do?

A sound came from the entrance, and Hector turned to see who had entered.

As soon as Hector turned his head, he heard a voice behind where he had just been looking moments ago. "So, what do you think they are talking 'bout?" A few moments later Vos Fleetwood faded into view, the clear signs of illusion magic disappearing. Vos was in his stereotypical clothes with his half-cloak pulled up. In his hand was a piece of roasted rabbit, and on his face was a smirk.

"Off to slay some mysterious monster, or maybe save a damsel in distress? Must be nice." Without waiting for an offer he jumped over the table and took a seat across from Hector.

"How ya been Hector? Getting into any trouble? Maybe single-handedly crushed any armies?"

"Vos," Hector could not help but smile at the mention of the younger squire's name. "Up to your usual antics, I see?" Try as he might, he could rarely hide a grin from the troublemaker, even when he did try to show how slick he was at the expense of Hector's portion sizes. "I hope my rabbit is to your liking," he said with a bit of friendly steel in his eye. "And fleet as you are, I expect you'll fetch another soon enough, yes?"

With no invitation, Vos planted himself across from Hector, and went on as he did. Hector shook his head, still unable to do anything but smirk. "Yes, a whole horde of slugs that had been eating away at our cabbages," he picked up the hot roll of bread and ripped it apart, there was some butter in a jar on the table so he grabbed the jar and the small knife left with it, and spread some warm butter onto his bread, thick so it covered up the crannies. "So fierce and full of corrosive slime these slugs were, that I almost had Took [1]go and find Mistress Brambleshell [2]," then he put the knife and the jar away, and dipped his bread into the mash, which he proceeded to eat. After some chewing, he asked. "What about you? I'm sure you have more than a tale or two of mischief, maybe even a dash of mayhem?" He smiled.

1. Hector's owl
2. Knight Master of the Wild

Last edited:
Vos took a large bite of the rabbit with a toothy grin and sighed melodramatically. "Alas, my days have been attempting to kill me with boredom. I keep a little busy with a prank here and a missing sword there. Oh, last week, all the horses mysteriously got out of the stables and caused some panic...Still, I need something a little more...fulfilling."

He looked around the room suspiciously like at any moment he expected someone to overhear them and throw them in a prison. "What if I told you that I had a reliable source that told me that howling wolves have been overheard the past few nights...I think I know where they are."

• Popcorn
  • Haha
Reactions: Innis and Hector
"Wolves, huh?" Interrupted Innis as she plopped down at a seat next to Hector and across from Vos. She had already been chewing on her bread roll, and she swallowed the bite before continuing. "We'll get back to the wolves. Tell me more about last week. Do you know how sore Pursuant Edelbert was after he lost his favorite palfrey?" The young Loch mage's voice was light, but her eyes were cold and seething as she looked at Vos. "He woke up the whole Dusk ward in the middle of the night. Wouldn't let me or the other squires get back to sleep until we helped him scour half the woods looking for that damnable horse."

Behind them, at a table in the corner, the so named Pursuant sat in his sleek, shadowy armor and argued with the Dawn Knight across from him. Edelbert was a thin, gaunt man with silky hair and a crooked nose. Even when he was smiling he looked dour, and he seemed downright dubious just then as he stabbed a fork into something on his plate and gestured sharply with his whole hand at the other knight.

Hector's eyes went wide at all the information that poured out of Vos' mouth, his eyes darted left and right, and before he could advise the younger squire to shut it, Innis cut in, her weight came down hard and shook the table. Hector sighed, and still wore a curl of the lip, though the humor had mixed with a tinge of sour and a splash of sympathy.

At the mention of Pursuant Edelbert, Hector's eyes narrowed, as he glanced over at the Knight who's Pursuit was Death, and he slowly looked away. "I can only imagine what that must have been like," he muttered, as he remembered a quest he had embarked upon as the Pursuant's second, not so long ago. Hector looked to Innis, then back at Vos. "Hey," he knocked two fingers on the table to get Vos' attention. "Go get me another leg of rabbit, and I'll see if I can talk Innis here out of ratting you out," Hector winked, and jabbed a thumb over his shoulder for added emphasis.

Vos rolled his eyes at the new arrival. "It wasn't a big deal, Innis. I made sure they didn't go too far. Besides, look at the man." He motioned to Edelbert. The man needs to lighten up a bit. I feel like the temperature of a room drops when he walks in."

Vos was going to continue his reasoning when Hector cut in and he sighed. "Fine." He jumped up and began to move to go get another rabbit, but not before getting in one last quip. He pointed to Innis, "Can I get you anything? Like maybe a sense of humor?" He shot her a grin before leaving before she had a chance to make a comment.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Innis
"I have a sense of humor..." Innis pouted, looking down mournfully at the rabbit half on her plate. "You're just not funny!" She called after the boy, but it was half-hearted. She knew it wasn't a very good comeback.

When Vos got far enough away, Innis grasped her fork like a wand and held it before her. "Spirits of fen and gale, lend me your sight, make what is hidden clear," she intoned. A thin silver veil slicked across her eyes before they returned to their usual rich color. She flicked her fork around again, and when she looked up, the world was just a bit more colorful.

Next to her, Hector glowed a soft yellow, as consistent as ever. In the distance, Vos's aura rang green, rippling like a wooded stream reflecting the leaves above. It was annoying that she had to cast such a sensor spell just to make sure Vos wasn't going to disappear again, but she wasn't about to be out-Loch'd by someone three years her junior.

Innis leaned in closer to Hector and whispered low. "So, we're still telling Sir Edelbert it was him, right?" A playfully cruel smirk brightened her dark eyes. "Because that would be pretty funny."

Last edited:
  • Scared
Reactions: Wroc Flintson
Hector ate from his mash and carrots, gulped. "Oh, absolutely." He glanced over his shoulder and looked over at Vos and his trailing cloak of green. "Getting yelled at by the man is practically a right of passage."

Before his junior turned about, Hector turned about and went on eating. "Sides, having a Pursuant know you are clever and quick doesn't hurt." He smiled and forked another few roasted roots. "Not too bad at least."

Vos eventually came back with a roasted rabbit for Hector and as he took his seat he dropped another roasted rabbit on Innis's plate. "I figured I would get another just in case." He pulled out a bread roll from his cloak and took a bite of that.

"So, let's ignore whether horses did or did not escape. Let's focus back on the wolves. I want to go get one. Bring back as many as we can. They make great companions for the Path of the Wild candidates."

Greedily, Innis accepted the bribe of more food without hesitation. Her fork peeled off a thin layer of meat from the ribs and plopped it on her tongue. She let the oily, gamey flavor sit there for a second, not exactly savoring it but exploring the, interesting, profile of the scrawny rabbit.

"Oh yeah, sure," Innis agreed to Vos's half-offer without considerable thought, still chewing her rabbit. With the back of her palm, she tapped Hector's arm, reinforcing his attention and volunteering him too. "We can meet up by the wishing well. Two after the witching hour sound good to you, Hector? I got a lecture with Master Roebin at one."

"Two after the witching hour?" Hector said with surprise. "Come now, Innis, why not make it two after daybreak instead?" He looked back to Vos, and had a feeling he would be outnumbered in this fight. He closed his eyes and shook his head. "Two after the witching hour then, if we go."

His eyes opened and he looked to his food, grabbed up the fresh rabbit, ripped off a piece and ate off the bone. "Needs a little pepper I think," he said in-between bights. He glanced up at Vos. "So, before we all agree to go on this wild hunt, tell me, how do you plan we bring these wolves back?" There was a light in the dark of his eye, curious as it measured the younger man.

"Alright, so I have two completely full-proof plans. The first one is that we just have to get close enough that I charm the alpha, and then he follows me back here. The rest of the pack should too. If that doesn't work then I have a backup." He pulled two roasted rabbits from his pockets.

"We attach these to some rope and then we just run back here with them chasing us. When we get them close enough, we will lock them in the old goat pen that hasn't been used in a bit. Then I can work on them slowly over time."

He smiled at both of them confidently and expectantly waiting to hear some sort of compliment. Maybe after all of this was over he should throw out the idea to his teacher that he deserves higher marks in his strategy classes.

• Haha
Reactions: Osuin and Hector
Osuin was seated at a table, too engrossed in his meal to pay much attention to the ongoings around him. A platter of rabbit and cooked vegetables was the meal of the evening, one which he was happily enjoying despite the complaints of Hector. True, it was the same meal as he’d had yesterday, and the day before that, but it was a meal he could count on being before him. He’d lived well over the past decades, thanks to the Knights of Anathaeum who had plucked him from a slaver’s ship and brought him within their ranks.

Nor was he a stranger to poverty and starvation. Repetitive and bland as the meal was, he reminded himself what a blessing it was that he could count on it. He had not always been so fortunate, after all, and recollection hardly ever failed to bring humility.

Vos was up to his usual antics, yet again. Hector was the current target for the squire's curiosity. Vos wondered aloud what the day's task might be, and he would get to hear of it soon enough; once the Pursuants had deemed it fitting to do so. But he was a young squire, and had much to learn and much time to do so. Vos was also the sort who needed to be kept in check; and once he spoke at lower volume, Osuin's suspicions rose.

Innis however, was on it. After Vos had returned, Osuin flashed her a subtle but telling nod before returning his attention to his meal. What was once a heaping pile of food had been reduced to a few remaining morsels that would take only a few more moments to finish. Once he put his plate and utensils away, he approached Hector and Innis, curious about the conversation that he'd missed.

He arrived just in time to catch Vos's explanation of...something. Osuin was unsure if he wanted to know, but remained curious nonetheless

“So. That's the trouble you're up to, then?” He asked Vos, with a grin shot towards him.

“And what trouble has he found himself in now?” He asked Innis shortly after.

Last edited:
Vos visibly guffawed at the accusation from the freshly arrived Osuin. He took a bite of his bread roll, because he knew nervous people did not eat...At least, he thought he had heard that somewhere.

"Osuin, I would never. Trouble is such a strong word. I'm just providing an exciting and creative outlet for all of our skills. Right, guys?" Vos shot Innis and Hector a look essentially saying C'mon don't rat on me. We're friends. I got you that rabbit didn't I?

"Besides, it's nothing to worry about. We are just going out to stretch our legs...maybe do some training...After all, no one better to help me with my Loch than Innis."

It was increasingly clear by members of the knights that Vos had a talent for bullshit. It was funny. When he started talking fast and tried to get out of a problem, his words often sounded more confident than when he just spoke normally.

Last edited:
Innis didn't lose her casual slouch at the table as Pursuant Osuin came over to see what they were gossiping about. It wasn't her neck on the line, after all, and Innis had a decent reputation amongst the upper ranks as a proficient and practical squire. It was not always well-earned.

"No trouble, Ser. For once Vos was being studious," she responded on cue, covering up the younger squire's trail. She did feel bad about lying to Ser Osuin, who was likely only worried about the young squire. But Vos, while annoying, was in the same boat as her, and she couldn't think of anything more knightly than taking a hit for a comrade. She hoped Osuin would understand that. Well, ideally the pursuant would never find out at all... she hoped for that more. "He wants to practice his illusions until I can't see the through them anymore. Tonight's a lesser full moon, so no better time for conjurations."

"We're trying to get Hector to come along, too."
There it was, the last star in the performance. If Hector played along, Vos would have himself an unassailable alibi. Innis kicked Hector's leg underneath the table, hoping he would catch the hint and keep up the lie.

Lori had her head down, putting away her meal as she pretended not to be listening in from the far end of the table.

She had to work far harder than most of the squires in the order, especially as she was closing in on promotion.

There were a number of factors against her. For a start she had never wanted to join the knights. Lori had known she she taller, more ungainly than her older sisters. She had lacked their grace, but had hoped to grow into her body and join them at grand balls and galas. She was also devoid of all magic. She was large for a woman, but not as strong as the largest men on the sparring fields.

What she did have was dedication. Born of a desire to do her family proud under any circumstances she had been honing her craft with the sword. It wasn't the life of a socialite she had desired. Her hands were rough, she wore sweaty gambeson instead of perfumed dresses.

Unfortunately that part of her that had wanted a different life was a notorious gossip. She wouldn't turn the plotters in, but anyone who had heard anything about Lori knew that she would tell someone.

Having obtained her plate from Roki, Awlyn looked around the vast mess hall for perhaps a moment too long. She never knew whether to sit with the squires or the other knights, these days. Although there wasn't any formal division, the two groups naturally tended to stick together.

On one hand, she felt she had more intimacy with the squires, and still thought of the knights as her mentors and superiors. Any casual conversation she tried to have with them would be stiff and awkward, she believed. On the other hand, she didn't want to create that same awkwardness around her younger friends, as she was now, technically, their superior. But they wouldn't feel that way around her, surely?

And if she were to be honest with herself, she'd have to admit that the older knights still intimidated her. She carried this fear that she'd do or say something wrong and be kicked out of the order, now that she was no longer in training and didn't have as much leeway to make mistakes. A fear she knew was completely irrational – that simply wasn't how the Knights of Anathaeum operated. Yet she could not let go of it.

She finally decided she'd spent way too long deliberating over something so simple when she noticed Osuin make his way to a group of squires, among them some that she considered her friends. She didn't know if she could stand up to the more experienced knight but still, she didn't want her friends to get in trouble. She'd always been a rule follower even as a young squire, but she knew some of the others didn't fully agree with that. So she made her way over to them as well, and sat at a respectable distance so that she could observe the interaction and perhaps become involved if she thought her help was needed or if she was called on. She flashed a discreet smile at Innis as she sat.

A kick sharp against the shin broke Hector out of the daydream he had fallen into. One where Vos' had his face torn to shreads by the long teeth of a wolf. Instead, he found himself being eyed by Innis, Vos, and what felt like every other knight at the Knoll. He laughed nervously, terrible liar that he was, and nodded his head up and down as he smiled wide and fake.

"Yes, Pursuant Osuin, Innis tells it true, just, making plans to train beneath the wolf's moon."
He assured with a voice strung as tight as a fiddle string and his heart beating hard and fast in his chest. He stuffed his face with another forkfull of mash and carrots and avoided eye contact with the larger and more Senior knight. He only hoped Pursuant Osuin hadn't heard from the Masters that Hector hadn't taken well to Loch magic.

The grin did not leave his lips, and neither did doubt leave his mid as Vos put forth his rebuttal. The young squire was rather defensive at the notion of suspicion, which really didn’t help diminish it. He also didn’t really make it clear what they were up to – he was clearly nervous.

But authority has that effect on the squires. Even when one hadn’t done something wrong, such discourse had a way of making one uneasy. Especially when they were still learning the rules, and at at point where they might not honestly know if they’ve done wrong. Vos might reasonably be more nervous than most, having gotten into trouble more often than most.

Awlyn arrived too, but was content to watch. A Knight Pursuant, Osuin was always putting an effort to set a proper example, and that Awlyn paid attention to the matter spoke to her desire to learn. Plus, it was always awkward having to arrive as an authority before your former friends. He’d rather not put her in that position, and was fine with her abstaining. He’d encourage it, if he could.

For the sake of setting a proper example, he gave Vos the benefit of the doubt. To let him get away with trouble when he was up to it would do no good, neither would interrogating him if he was up to self-improvement.

"No trouble, Ser. For once Vos was being studious," Innis replied, and Osuin turned to her for the explanation. A lot less nervous, and much less of a troublemaker than Vos was, her testimony put Osuin at greater ease.

As did her alibi.

"He wants to practice his illusions until I can't see the through them anymore. Tonight's a lesser full moon, so no better time for conjurations."

"We're trying to get Hector to come along, too."
Innis explained, and Osuin turned to Hector to await his affirmation.

“You too, Hector?”

"Yes, Pursuant Osuin, Innis tells it true, just, making plans to train beneath the wolf's moon." came his response. Well now, what he’d believed was gossip and trouble making was really just teamwork. He was so proud of them!

“Taking advantage of an opportune time to train. That’s exactly the sort of drive and initiative that makes a Knight!”
Osuin replied, reinforcing the positive behaviour that Innis’s story implied.

“No need to be so nervous now. If you conceal what you’re doing right, we’ll only know what you’re doing wrong and that’d be a shame.” Osuin continued, with a smile towards Vos, having completely bought the ruse.

“I knew you could put that sort of energy to good use. I can hardly wait to see the results of all your hard training tomorrow!
he concluded, shooting a proud smile at all before taking his happy exit from the dining hall.

Vos smiled at the other two as Osuin walked away. He whispered to both of them. "I knew both of you were in. This is going to be great. Everyone is going to be so jealous when we have a wolfpack following us around...I'm going to get more food for the trip."

He hurried off to discreetly stuff his pocket with more rabbits, and maybe some rolls for himself later. After all, becoming a future beast master was hard work and he was a growing teen.

Vos may look like an airhead sometimes, but he had specifically wanted Innis and Hector to come with him for his adventure. He was good with animals, but Innis was observant and level-headed. She could make sure things would not sneak up on them. Hector, well, his job was just to make sure they didn't die. He seemed like the right type of person for that job.

The knot that formed in Innis' throat as Syr Osuin commended their efforts was hard to swallow, but somehow she managed to keep an earnest face. She beamed back at the pursuant, soaking up the praise, but as soon as he left the knoll her innocent expression dropped into a scowl.

"Wolf's moon?" Innis hissed out, barely able to keep her voice below a private whisper. Underneath the table, she kicked Hector's leg a little harder than before. "Seriously Hector, the wolf's moon? The only lesson you need is how to be less obvious."

Easing up a bit when Vos whispered at them, Innis leaned in close and conspiratorially, nearly bonking heads with the two boys. "Whatever the plan is, we have to be back at this table by breakfast tomorrow," she whispered back. "You hear me, Vos?" But it was unlikely that the younger squire had heard, because he was already heading off to somewhere else.

Blinking the magic out of her eyes, Innis settled back on the bench and continued eating. "The wolf's moon was last month," she pouted into her rabbit, mostly to herself. This was not an unusual activity for the almost-knight. "This month is the snow moon."

Hector sucked in a breath and shot up, bolt straight from the sting of the kick. "What, I, how was I," he winced and hunched as he tried to rub away the pain from the pulsing hurt where he had been kicked. "I was caught off guard, ok?" he whispered harshly. "I am not good at this whole, lying to my superiors deal,"

Innis went on to outline their plan further. And Hector nodded, as he looked around at the other knights gathered about the knoll, most seemed not to notice them, though he could have sworn he saw Lorinna all cat eyed in the corner. "Before breakfast, should be easy enough," Hector said, turned his head back to the tale and saw Awlyn eying them, not too far from where they sat, and he smiled weakly at her, then he winced some as he hurt was still tender, and he sucked in some breath. "Let's Syr Osuin's done with his surprises, huh?" he laughed some, then looked down at his food.

Part of him thought of Syr Marrowund, and how many rabbits she had had to catch and quarry from the woods for this meal alone. There was a soft sadness in his chest, though he was not sure why.

• Sip
Reactions: Osuin
Days had passed. Weeks even. Well, maybe not that long, but it always felt that long to Meepo because.. He. Is. Magnificent. Does that really make sense? No. But to him, it did.
And it was always hard being Meepo. He had to duck under every doorway, step over every slow moving critter, and when he jumped, he had to be careful not to put a hole in the ground. Why? At three foot two, he was a literal titan for his clan. Of his ten siblings, he dwarfed them all.

A benefit to being Meepo, aside the obvious, he was always in a good mood. Always. And today was no different. The titan kobold marched proudly into the Knoll, ducking the doorway (obviously) his little bits of perfectly fitting and expertly smithed armor bouncing with each confident step. He would hop onto a bench, then the table, high-fiving a row of hungy Knight-sworn, several squires, and the ever disappointed looking Syr Galvanhad.

Why so confident (aside from the obvious)? Ask Skink and he'll tell you how Meepo the Magnificent had just gotten done slaying two dozen poachers going after his giant lizard buddy named Runk. Was it true? Absolutely.

Hopping from the table to a stool before the mess, Meepo shot a toothy and reptilian grin up at his favorite Ork, Roki, who was serving YET AGAIN roasted rabbit, roasted carrots, and those glorious taters. "Roki!!!" He would bark out excitedly, little tail flicking out to further prove that jubilation.

"Meepo!" Roki grinned before hugging the most magnificent Knight Sworn. He was apparently one of the true believers, or at the very least a very good sport.

"Meepo is hongray." The near-venerable Kobold growled. Common tongue was hard for Kobold, but he tried his best. "We want the rabbitses, the carrots, and the taters!!" He howled in anticipation.

Roki smirked as he piled a portion that one would think would be too great for the owner before grabbing two steaming buns and dropping them beside the tatoes. "Buns have the funs."

Another Kobold howl before Meepo confidently, albeit a little more laboriously strut to his table, the one within view of Helena and by extension, Galvanhad. He offered the Captain a toothy smile and a tail flick while trying to hide from the glare of her paternal adjacent figure.

Last edited:
Margot could already feel her belly gurgling for the delicious meals their orc cook so graciously prepared for the knights. She wasn't it picky when it came to a hot meal, it was better than rations when she was out in the field. She entered the Knoll quietly, brushing blonde strands from her face. The smell of rabbit gracing her as she looked about the hall.

Clusters of knights and squires all in their conversation and meals made her smile. She loved the how close they all were, a family. Blue eyes focused on the food that was being prepared, the pang of hunger reminding her why she was here. She moved easily between benches and tables, the epitome of grace.

"Hail Roki! How goes it?" Margot greeted the orc affectionately, a soft smile on her lips. He used to sneak her extra tidbits as a child and he was important to her. Roki gave her a grunt and a wink before passing her a plate. It was loaded lightly, the girl ate like a bird these days.

She thanked him and turned on her heel, scanning the crowd again. Her face lit up as they landed on Meepo, and she strode over to his bench and settled next to him. "Uncle Meepo, it's good to see you. I feel like I haven't seen you in ages, did your mission go well?" Her blue eyes sparkled as she looked at her adopted uncle with anticipation, he always had the best stories. She adored her kobold family, and would do anything for them. After all, they adopted and raised her as their own.