Open Chronicles Big Cats and Ballads

A roleplay open for anyone to join
"Usually I stay as long as the food doesn... I mean, the money doesn't run out," Torie said. "But I'm easy. If the company's good, I'll ditch the comfort for the companionship." She said that directly to Finn, though to Zarra she said, "And you've been good company so far. Free entertainment, wherever I go! Plus, this place isn't the most comfortable I've ever been in. Even the straw smells... used." She kneaded her bed of straw briefly. "So I could leave now, if you wanted. Or maybe we should wait until your clientele dies down, Zarra. You must be making a ton of money!"

She turned to Finn.

"Can you play an instrument? Or sing?"

"Well, if you ladies want a more" he looked around the tavern, "decent place to stay for the night I could help you out."

Finnegan lifted his jacket sleave slightly, revealing the handle of a dagger. "No I dont, but im gifted in other talents." He smirked, stood up and walked back over to the bar to get himself another drink and hoping to get a piece of information from the barkeep.

• Scared
Reactions: Zarra Bundyth
"And you've been good company so far. Free entertainment, wherever I go! Plus, this place isn't the most comfortable I've ever been in. Even the straw smells... used." She kneaded her bed of straw briefly. "So I could leave now, if you wanted. Or maybe we should wait until your clientele dies down, Zarra. You must be making a ton of money!"

She shook her head sadly. "Not really. It pays enough to live on but not that much. But your compliments warm my heart, thank you."

"Well, if you ladies want a more" he looked around the tavern, "decent place to stay for the night I could help you out."

She cocked an eyebrow at this, "So what exactly do you mean by that?"

Finnegan lifted his jacket sleave slightly, revealing the handle of a dagger. "No I dont, but im gifted in other talents." He smirked, stood up and walked back over to the bar to get himself another drink and hoping to get a piece of information from the barkeep.

Well, that was dangerous. Zarra looked to the hilt of the dagger, suddenly worried that he was delivering a threat. But he didn't seem intent on hurting them, so she thought different. But she didn't say anything as he left for the bar. She glanced at Torie, her gaze worried.

• Smug
  • Sip
Reactions: Milo and Torie
Torie looked anything but worried, and didn't seem aware of Zarra's worry either. As Finnegan walked away she gazed at Zarra, tilting her head and putting her paws together in mock adoration.

"Can we keep him?" she said, in a hushed voice - hushed for a one-ton tiger, anyway.

Torie looked anything but worried, and didn't seem aware of Zarra's worry either. As Finnegan walked away she gazed at Zarra, tilting her head and putting her paws together in mock adoration.

"Can we keep him?" she said, in a hushed voice - hushed for a one-ton tiger, anyway.

This made her smile, and with a chuckle she said, "I don't know. He seems like he'd be keeping us. But so long as he doesn't kill us I see no reason not to stay with him a while. It could prove interesting after all. But if you want him you may have to get back in shape, and probably go back to being human. I don't think a tiger can easily sway a human, no matter the circumstances."

• Sip
Reactions: Torie
Torie's mind was already racing. Why would he kill us? So she almost didn't hear the next bombshell.

"Get back in shape?" she said, as if she'd just suggested Torie donate herself as a throw rug to the local nobility. But then she looked up at Finnegan, his tall, lean figure and broad shoulders. It didn't seem so outlandish after all. "I suppose I could... but, I just got out of the girdle, and I already eat as much as my budget allows. But if you'd be willing to support me I suppose I could improve my shape. We'll need more money though.

"Hey... I have an idea." With that she picked herself up and waddled to a nearby fellow wearing a floppy grey hat. After a brief exchange of coins from the bag about her neck, she purchased the hat, then walked around the inn's patrons with it in her mouth.

"'Ey, it's that bard's cat thing," one man said, as Torie did her best sad puppy impression. The man looked at her for a moment, then rummaged around in his pockets and produced a few copper pieces. "Here then. Art like that should be s'ported with more n' just applause. Thank ye, lady, for gracing is with your haunting music." He raised his mug to Zarra.

Torie moved on to the next patron, hat in hand. Well, mouth, hoping to make them patrons of the arts as well as the tavern.

Finnegan made his way back to the the pair.
"To answer your earlier question Zarra, my living expenses have been payed for in advance there for I have to coin to get the two of you a room to share."

He lit his pipe once again. "There is an inn two streets down called The Crows Nest." He reached into his jacket and pulled out some coin, handing it to Zarra....he wasnt sure how exactly to give it to Torrie.
"Tomorrow morning I have a job to do. You ladies are welcome to accompany me," his voice now dropped to a low whisper. "But after that we need to head out of town and get on the road as quickly as an arrow leaves its bow."

• Nervous
Finnegan made his way back to the the pair.
"To answer your earlier question Zarra, my living expenses have been payed for in advance there for I have to coin to get the two of you a room to share."

She looked at him nervously, "That's very generous of you Mr Finn. But I could hardly be a burden on your finances. Please, don't waste money on us."

He lit his pipe once again. "There is an inn two streets down called The Crows Nest." He reached into his jacket and pulled out some coin, handing it to Zarra....he wasnt sure how exactly to give it to Torrie.
"Tomorrow morning I have a job to do. You ladies are welcome to accompany me," his voice now dropped to a low whisper. "But after that we need to head out of town and get on the road as quickly as an arrow leaves its bow."

This made her look at him with worry. "Why is that? This won't end up bringing harm to me or Torie will it?"

• Smug
Reactions: Milo
"Loo' at how muth coin I hath," Torie said around the hat as she returned to the pair, a collection of small copper pieces - some rusted green - slithering around the bottom as she moved it. She noted the way Zarra and the wanderer were looking at each other, and put the hat down. The little coins hissed promisingly.

"What?"

Finnegan leaned forward. He looked Zarra right in the eye, but first he spoke to Torie.
"Nothing to worry about doll."

He now spoke entirely to Zarra, "I do not hurt innocents. I simply do the job I am asked to do. The less questions you ask, the safer you are."

He now leaned back as if he hadn't just most probably sent shivers down both womens spine. Took a slow sip of his drinm.

"Take the coin or give it away, I am not bothered. My job aside, if you ladies wish for a little adventure, sticking by my side is gonna be quite the wildest of adventures."

He twirled his glass around, took the final sip and stood up. "Enjoy the rest of your night girl."

Finnegan left, made his way for the inn and got into bed. He needed his rest for what was to come.

He now spoke entirely to Zarra, "I do not hurt innocents. I simply do the job I am asked to do. The less questions you ask, the safer you are."

Well that was worrying. But he said he didn't hurt innocents. But then again, she wasn't exactly innocent, no drow was no matter how reformed they may be. She was far from innocent, and while she wasn't about to openly say that, she certainly didn't feel any safer. But she didn't think he was going to threaten her, so maybe she shouldn't be so worried.

Besides, she'd gotten used to the idea of dangerous men, not usually something you'd find in the underrealm, but she could certainly see why women on the surface found it... desirable.

Take the coin or give it away, I am not bothered. My job aside, if you ladies wish for a little adventure, sticking by my side is gonna be quite the wildest of adventures."

He twirled his glass around, took the final sip and stood up. "Enjoy the rest of your night girl."

Finnegan left, made his way for the inn and got into bed. He needed his rest for what was to come.

She nodded, "You too."

Then he left and she turned to Torie. "You certainly got yourself a good bit of coin. So what do you think? Should we tag along with him? I sense that some sort of story worthy of ballads is going to happen with him around, but I'm also kind of worried."

• Popcorn
  • Thoughtful
"Bye," Torie said to Finnegan, watching sadly when he left. Once the tavern door banged shut she sighed and slumped to the floor, though her melancholy didn't last long.

You certainly got yourself a good bit of coin. So what do you think? Should we tag along with him? I sense that some sort of story worthy of ballads is going to happen with him around, but I'm also kind of worried."

"The coin's all yours! They only gave it to me because they think I'm your pet. It was for your performance. If I walk around with a hat during the performance, imagine how much money we can make. Especially if we go to somewhere a little more... er... glamorous.

"So, here's what I propose: Let's go to this inn he mentioned - Crow's Nest - and lets get our own room. We can meet him for breakfast in the morning and then leave town, and then he can catch up with us on the road after he does his... business. That way, we're already out of town when he does whatever he'll be doing and we can keep him company on the road. What do you say? All we need to do is meet with him in the morning and find out which road he plans to depart by."

• Thoughtful
"The coin's all yours! They only gave it to me because they think I'm your pet. It was for your performance. If I walk around with a hat during the performance, imagine how much money we can make. Especially if we go to somewhere a little more... er... glamorous.

She looked at her friend in surprise. "Well that was really kind of you Torie, thanks. And you certainly make a fair point."

"So, here's what I propose: Let's go to this inn he mentioned - Crow's Nest - and lets get our own room. We can meet him for breakfast in the morning and then leave town, and then he can catch up with us on the road after he does his... business. That way, we're already out of town when he does whatever he'll be doing and we can keep him company on the road. What do you say? All we need to do is meet with him in the morning and find out which road he plans to depart by."

She nodded, "yes that certainly seems like a plan. And I have to agree with you. So, let's do that."

She finished her meal, dropped off the plate and picked up her stuff before opening the door for Your. Once the big kitty was out she followed. Off to The Crows Nest.

The following morning Finnegan sat at a table in the Inn and ate his breakfast. It was a light meal for he needed to be quick on his feet but he was full none the less.

By his own devices he had found out the pair from last night had decided to infact, take up his offer and stay at the inn. He crossed his arms and leaned back into his chair, waiting patiently to find out what else they had decided.

• Popcorn
Torie yawned as she entered the inn's dining area. It was warm, and early - the only other person in the room was the mysterious handsome traveller, though the sounds of a busy kitchen echoed up from the far end of the building. Torie greeted Finnegan with a big grin and went to join him at the table, foregoing a chair to sit on the floor. Torie was actually a little taller in a sitting position, as the posture tended to raise her head and neck.

"Thanks for the room," she said, looking about. "Certainly a step up from our last digs. So..." She looked about to see if Zarra had descended the stairs from their room yet, then said quietly, "what are you planning to do with that knife of yours today?"

"Anytime doll," Finnegan stretched and placed his hands behind his head. He was in a plain black, short sleaved shirt - his jacket rested on the back of his chair. It was obvious that he muscle, well defined muscle at that, Finns scar was now very noticeable.

"Nothing to worry your pretty face about," he softly stroked the top of her head. "Its just buisness."

Torie yawned as she entered the inn's dining area. It was warm, and early - the only other person in the room was the mysterious handsome traveller, though the sounds of a busy kitchen echoed up from the far end of the building. Torie greeted Finnegan with a big grin and went to join him at the table, foregoing a chair to sit on the floor. Torie was actually a little taller in a sitting position, as the posture tended to raise her head and neck.

Zarra had been woken by Torie, she being sensitive to bright lights was naturally going to be inclined to be nocturnal. But that wasn't going to work with what they had planned. So Torie had to wake her up, and she had reluctantly gotten up as her friend instructed. So she came down behind Torie and sat at the table across from Fin.

She managed to yawn out a weak, "morning~"

"Anytime doll," Finnegan stretched and placed his hands behind his head. He was in a plain black, short sleaved shirt - his jacket rested on the back of his chair. It was obvious that he muscle, well defined muscle at that, Finns scar was now very noticeable.

She spied the scar, and was somewhat interested, but then again, most scars came from injuries. Injuries usually meant fights or accidents. So really, she figured there wasn't much to be told about it. She did find something to look at though. She'd seen muscular men before, mostly after she'd come to the surface, but a lot of the time the men who had such muscle seemed to be showing off too much for her to find it attractive. On him, he just seemed to have it like one might have freckles, they just there.

"Nothing to worry your pretty face about," he softly stroked the top of her head. "Its just buisness."

She looked to Torie, "I don't think we should get involved Torie." Then to Fin, "Anyway, me and Torie figured that if you have business here, we might go on ahead and you could meet up with us on the road after your business is concluded. Does that sound alright to you?"

• Devil
  • Thoughtful
Torie pushed her head up into his outstretched hand, enjoying the sensation of touch. Not everyone would dare touch the giant cat, but Torie enjoyed a good scratch as much as a kitten. Especially coming from a handsome devil like Finnegan.

She looked to Torie, "I don't think we should get involved Torie." Then to Fin, "Anyway, me and Torie figured that if you have business here, we might go on ahead and you could meet up with us on the road after your business is concluded. Does that sound alright to you?"

"We just need to know by which road you intend to leave. We'll hitch a carriage ride out of there. Hopefully you can meet us on our way to the next town."

"Sounds good to me," Finnegan gave both girls a dashing smile, stood from his chair.
"So just head out of town and take the right when you hit the fork in the road. Wait for me there." He leaned in close that no one else could hear. "Theres a creek if you walk through the shrubbery, wait for me there."

Finnegan threw his jacket over his shoulder, but not before quickly removing his dagger and conceling it in his boot.

"I should be long." With that he left the inn and made his way over to the Earls house he had been sent to "consult".

"Sounds good to me," Finnegan gave both girls a dashing smile, stood from his chair.
"So just head out of town and take the right when you hit the fork in the road. Wait for me there." He leaned in close that no one else could hear. "Theres a creek if you walk through the shrubbery, wait for me there."

She nodded, "Understood, we'll be sure to be there. Good luck with your mission." She said to him. "And I'm pretty sure I speak for both me and Torie when I say we look forward to travelling with you."

"I should be long." With that he left the inn and made his way over to the Earls house he had been sent to "consult".

So she nodded and stood up. "Come on Torie, I get the feeling we should avoid remaining in town for too much longer."

Finn set our for the barrons house, dagger hidden and got the information he needed. From the streets many could hear the sound of furniture breaking, grunting and a slight scream.

Then he hit the road. First he ran, to make sure no guards were possibly on his tale.

Once he was at the fork in the road he was walking. He held his jacket slung over his shoulder and his shirt had one or two rather visible marks of blood on them, fortunately he had grabbed another an extra shirt on his way out by a seamstress who simply looked at him, "pigs blood." Was all he had said to her.

He reached the point in the road where he heard the stream running and made his way through the forest. It wasn't a long walk but it hid the view of the stream by those traveling along the road.

"Wheres my two favorite girls?" He said whole heartedly then let out a chuckle as he emerged from the trees.

Torie and Zarra had enjoyed a pleasant, albeit strenuous walk from the town to the meeting place, and had found the creek without trouble. Torie had a good sense of smell after all and the creek smelled different from the surrounding countryside. The water was fresh and so by the time Finnegan found them she was floating on her back, her white belly making a broad island on which she'd folded her paws.

"Finnegan!" she said, looking up as he made his entrance. "Come for a swim! The water is wonderful!" With that she kicked a little against the current, then turned her head to give Zarra a grin as if to say, he's here!

"Finnegan!" she said, looking up as he made his entrance. "Come for a swim! The water is wonderful!" With that she kicked a little against the current, then turned her head to give Zarra a grin as if to say, he's here!
"Wheres my two favorite girls?" He said whole heartedly then let out a chuckle as he emerged from the trees.

Zarra had walked with Torie for the first bit of the morning and had preemptively donned her sunhat. Since they would be travelling by day, she'd need it.

While Torie went for a swim, despite the stereotype of cats hating water, she had simply sat down and played her viol. It was a simple tune she played, nothing fancy or prewritten, she just played off the top of her head, making it up as she went. An experiment of sorts.

She looked up as he came to the creek and when Torie gave her a giddy smile she rolled her eyes. She was so hopeless it was cute.

• Cthuloo
  • Dab
Finnegan still wore his bloodied up shirt when he appeared to the girls.
"Ey Torie," he gave her a smile and moved to sit next to Zarra in the shade. "What you playin' there doll?"

Finnegan was a very curious man, it helped with his work and he enjoyed finding out little nic naks about people that put in place the puzzel that they themselves were.

From what he had gathered, Torie was a soft soul, happy-go-lucky and very friendly. He hadnt yet quite put a finger on Zarra but it was obvious she adored Torie and seemed to have a bit of a 'protector' atmosphere when it came to the kitty. He also picked up that she not at all seemed like the dark elves he had run into before, but then again...not everything is as it seems.

• Sip
Torie seemed happy to float while the two humanoids spoke, though glanced over at the pair with worry from time-to-time. Finnegan didn't seem concerned so she assumed there was no need to worry, just floated on her back and enjoyed the water, the birds in the trees overhead and Zarra's music. She closed her eyes, her spirit reaching out through the water, feeling the animals nearby: a badger under the tree, a plattus at the bottom of the creek; fish aplenty. She concentrated very hard on one, luring it closer with promises of food - fish were easy to fool as they had no concept of deception. At the last moment she rolled over and snatched outwards with her claws, then lifted the fish to her mouth and bit down. Then she rolled over, holding the still-wiggling fish between her teeth as she floated serenely.

Nom nom nom...