Open Chronicles Banquets and Banners

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Princess Dune

Character Biography
Link
She could see them... Those treacherous ladies puffing their chests and averting their gazes. With fans half unfurled and waving-oh-so tactfully. They signalled to each other messages in ways that were unheard of and not understood.
This was the language of the courts. The language of backstabbing nobles.
And you thought you could avoid the wolves for the goats? Even the hens here have spurs.
The gaze of Dune meandered and wandered back and forth, from one manservant to another. From one slave to another. They spoke a language concealed to the eyes of the foreign nobles. How they bowed and how they walked. How they touched one another as a parchment slipped between their sleeves. Each one was in league with another devil in shiny robes.
But to most, this was unseen. The normal throb and beat of the court.

Mulay Danush, her brother and king of Jaleyaana's realm was the host of this banquet. And dune? She was his gem, sitting politely and looking so pretty. Danush, Amir and Mulay was as sunkissed as Arethil was dark. She? She was as blue as a white horse's mane, as pale as the ocean's deepest pearl. He was a conqueror and general, the 'black dragon' among the mountain kings. And she? She was to be pretty, to eye the noble Heydar, son of queen Iman at every glance they'd cross.

No. Dune watched from a dipped gaze how the servants and the foreign dignitaries acted. How they talked and how they ate their fills of Jaleyaanan food. Layered pastries of filo dough, kaymak, little delights and many more. They drank tea so hot it could as well be considered still boiling. The hall was coated in banners from all over the world, or at least their limited view of it.
Of course, it was a time of shortsighted peace and everyone was rushing to gain favour. The lord of Seluca drove away the Mirapolic hand. And the conquest to drive away the Cairou warlords was continued by Amir Farid ibn Baha and Mulay Danush. Dune's younger brother, Abaty, he too had done a feat worth celebrating. Besieged and won a small fort not far east of Falahmat itself. Perhaps the young prince too would be able to carve a name from himself. Though the shadow of his brother was impossibly vast, his victory was but a pebble in Danush's conquest.
She hoped the feast was meant just for Abaty the young, and not his insidious plans. Was she supposed to cross eyes with Heydar again as he so said?
Dune began to look for guards, sometimes the nobles brought adventurers with them. People from across all the world.

---

Amir Farid Baha walked with a glass of scalding tea, as red as blood yet as clear as air. A toast to his old enemy Danush? Pleasantries and antagonism were but opposing beats of a heart, were they not? In due time they will clash again. »And you Danush, do you fear your brother yet?« He jested with the slight, raising his hot hand to tease the undignified and power-hungry 'black dragon'. In a cheer that was hard to discern of its honesty, Danush rose his hand in reply. »At least I still have a brother, my friend.«
And then they drank their fill.

Last edited:
The rabbit elegantly made his way through the crowd, exclamations of missing jewelry following him close behind. His elegant clothes were tailored to suit him perfectly, emphasizing his lean legs that hopped. He flirted with ladies and scowled at their jealous husbands, who were too keen on keeping the image of a perfect couple to bother to deal with a rebellious teen. But as he watched the people around the room, watched them give each other looks he didn't know the meaning of, he became curious. Why was the princess not talking and mingling with the others?

A light cheer eased the mood as the folk went into a toast. Dune however kept looking at a suspicious trail of people whose attention briefly changed from the spectacle of the squabbling Amirs to their own pockets.

The ripple seemed to follow a pair of pale ears that rose through the crowd...

If enough strife may come to pass from a mere rabble-rouser, the guards surely will come in to restore order when found out. A slightly fouled-up mood for the masses indeed. But if the Amirs spilled blood, she would not know what scandal would be to follow.
Now, what if...assassins.
She averted her gaze for but a moment, fanning herself in the process to at least make it seem genuine.
Dune's gaze began to search the crowd again for the ears.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Zafir
1670899993886.png
Darduran of Seluca, scion of the high merchant family, Enku. That was the name of the face he wore. A quiet, if not too serious young man, dressed in finery that was at once simple, yet expertly cut, with bits and details enough to show its worth, and a dye so blue, only a fool would think it cheap or easy to obtain. A heavy knife strapped to his waist sash, handle of fine wood, pommel capped with a well polished bronze.

It would not do to have Seluca unrepresented at such a gathering. Not with their doings fresh in the minds of so many.

So, the young Abaty had conquered a fortress. Ousted rabble that had sat too long and grown too fat. Nothing of import. Though, Darduran thought behind his still cooling cup of fragrant chai, it would not do to leave such a thing un recorded. The Mulay Dunash had schemes and machinations to be sure.

Dardurans cold silver eyes looked to the young princess, who seemed to follow the peculiar thief. He smirked. And what of her machinations, he wondered.

Only one way to find out.

A step, and Darduran cut her path. A collision course set. But would they collide? He couldn't help but wonder.

Princess Dune Percy Slayer

• Popcorn
Reactions: Princess Dune
Azlat had two homes, though both were a great distance away. Strange, that a representative of a land so distant would take interest in such an event, but the territory held greater interest to Azlat than convenience implied. It was of the western desert, where Drakormir had risen from the sands, and from which they deduced the deceptive pretender had originated. Further, there was a 'Black Dragon', and concern of connection between the two ran high. Aside from that, Azlat had arrived knowing little else. The northern lands were rife with various kingdoms and cultures, and the more she learned of it the more she realized there was to learn.

She hadn't worn her face paint, nor her ceremonial robes for the visit. She'd rather not stand out, as best that she could. Instead she had arrived in northern attire, wearing a wearing a dress of green that was woven by northern tailors. Little could be done for the unusual appearance of her draconic amber eyes, however. Unless any were familiar with Thagretis, none would identify her origins, and truly few had learned of the city. To those that inquired, Azlat simply explained them away as a hereditary feature of her kind, which was as honest as it was vague. Better to not appear obviously Thagretan, when she knew not how the Jaleyaanans would regard it. The Bhathairkians had certainly not taken well to her gods or kingdom.

But that was not information she needed to state. She held another post, and could arrive as a representative of the kingdom of Route rather than as the questionable clergy of a distant city. There was no deception to it, when she genuinely held the position and even had a signed royal letter to verify it.

Within, her subtle search for any signs of Jaleyaana's involvement with the incident continued. There was a Azlat strode on, joining the crowd with many other dignitaries with a glass of freshly poured wine in her hand. She simply needed to know more, and such events were a wonderful means of gaining information. For that matter, it had gone so well in Route that she was present as an actual dignitary this time.

What might she learn in these lands?

Princess Dune Percy Slayer Zafir

The people of the mountains didn't put milk in their tea.

Sinuhe stood frowning at the stoneware cup that had been given to him. He still drank it, of course. With orcish countenance, he did not feel the heat of the drink, only lamented its strong flavor. It needed something smooth, to balance out such a red color.

For most of the party, Sinuhe had politely passed from one cluster of bachelors to another, absorbing the talk of battles won and princesses courted with an unassailable level of decorum. With that odd spymaster Zafir running reconnaissance, his presence here felt rather redundant. At least he had been told Zafir would be in attendance. Sinuhe had yet to be able to pick the spymaster out from the crowd. Just a couple of Selucan merchants and courtiers like himself, everyone you would expect to be at a party like this.

Sinuhe eyed someone holding a plate of date cookies as they walked past. He wouldn't be disguised as one of the servants, would he?

"That blade you have, its Nasuran in make," one of the young noblemen said, pulling Sinuhe back into the conversation in front of him. The man smiled at him cordially enough, but his eyes hid cruelty. "I've heard many tales about the skill of swordmen from the West. Care to step outside and indulge us in a demonstration?"

Ah, that was a charade. If he bloodied any of these noble's sons, even in friendly competition, he'd be out of a job. Best case scenario.

"Perhaps another time," Sinuhe said. His eyes betrayed him as he looked for any kind of escape route. There - a woman unattended, with the look of a distant emissary about her. "I've just spotted someone I know, who deserves a proper greeting." Before anyone could be offended, Sinuhe slipped back into the flow of the crowd, and caught up with the woman in the green northern garb.

He leaned down to her height so he could speak below the current chatter of the banquet. "Forgive me for using you in such a way, my lady, but I desperately need to escape a conversation." He lowered his eyes and pressed his palms together in a generous bow. "My name is Sinuhe. Would you pretend to know me for a moment?"

Princess Dune Percy Slayer Zafir Azlat Ushus

An orcish man approached that Azlat did not know, and concern grew with his increasing proximity. Had he been among the angry mob chasing her from Bhathairk? His garb and manner of speaking seemed not of that city, but she had not met an orc anywhere else. Azlat imagined she'd remember the face of one she'd gotten along with, and could think of no other reason why this orc might find her familiar.

It had been a grave error to be earnest about her gods in that place. She hadn't known they'd laid blame for the ruination of their city upon them, and they cared not for her attempt at rationalization. They only cared to spill her blood, by the contents of the threats uttered at her there. Needless to say, they cared not for divine truth. Azlat did not forsee the formation of any Draconic chuch within Bhathairk.

It was the only cause that came to mind for the reason the orc approached. All the same, his hand was not on his weapon and hostilities might not be had, yet. Azlat cleared her throat, prepared to respond with breath of draconic fire, just in case.

Yet, her paranoid was unfounded, and she'd not need to.

"Forgive me for using you in such a way, my lady, but I desperately need to escape a conversation. My name is Sinuhe. Would you pretend to know me for a moment?" The orc introduced himself, and it was a true relief for Azlat to learn that they'd not actually met yet. Tension left her in an instant, and her lips curled into a welcoming smile. It was a favour Azlat understood and was inclined to grant.

“Absolutely. And Azlat, by the way.” She replied in a hushed tone, before playing further into the lie herself.

“Sinuhe! How wo̡nderful to see you, it's be͠en ages, has it not?” Azlat exclaimed, as if meeting an old acquaintance. Azlat continued walking as if she had somewhere in particular to go, which she hadn't. Anywhere further than where they were would be fine enough, so long as whomever Sinuhe referred to remained out of earshot.

Sinuhe Princess Dune Percy Slayer Zafir

Last edited:
The silence that followed the toast was uncanny, but slowly, slowly chatter resumed as the crowd around the noblest members of society toasted along and drank their fill. Chatter of politics, trade agreements and alliances filled the air, but they were as fleeting as the leaf in the wind without the proper dignitaries and bureaucrats behind them.
Yet the thoughts... those thoughts filled the nobles as if they turned mountains with their mere words.

»No matter how hard you try, only a son of Ursh* will unite all of kalit,« calmly boasted Mulay Danush, in a voice that would neither rattle the crowds nor disturb the flow of its being.
»You Mulays and Lalas, Murayas and Serperayas, cling to this old 'birthright'... « Slowly slurred Farid before resuming in a tone hard to discern: »Who can even prove that those old lineage books aren't frauds...«
It was hard to tell if Danush could hear him, or if he pretended he did not. The scalding hot breath from his nostrils told a different story entirely.

As her brother seemed otherwise occupied with his gaze firmly focused on Farid Ibn Baha, Dune slipped away from the side of the young Jaleyaanan nobility. She trailed her dress among the dispersing crowd, but not before giving a side-eyed glance at Heydar. He figured as much that it was a poisonous stare and thus remained put in his place.
While the music was only now picking up in place, the crowd of eager dancers was gravitating away from the princess. Fear-respect was it? Ordering any bystander to dance with her would have been even more discouraging than being merely left standing among twirling crowds of colourful skirts.

Percy Slayer Zafir Azlat Ushus Sinuhe

Ursh* A variant of Urshumgall

Last edited:
Percy smiled to himself as he felt the princess' eyes upon him, and idly spun a ring too large for his thin and quick hands on a single finger. He noticed the crowd had grown in size, gravitating away from the silent yet beautiful lady. Percy made up his mind.

"Care for a dance, my lady?" He asked, bowed and ears pressed up and alert in his direction, quick to escape if such a risk presented itself. "I've noticed you have not indulged in any... fun."

He waited for her answer, meeting her eyes quickly before hurriedly averting his gaze. Stupid, he thought, to meet eyes with someone that was obviously so much more important than he was. He nervously adjusted his billowy sleeves and looked at his strong feet, eager to leave this situation if she declined.

Eyes wandering, they fell once more upon the Lapine youth. But now was not a gaze from behind the banquet table, looking at crowds far and unreachable. Percy stood before her, bowing as was in decorum and said to be proper.
But she couldn't quite unsee the hesitation in those blue-green eyes.

And if they'd dare to look again, Percy would see two gemlike-blue eyes staring back wistfully with a smile oh so slightly intoxicating. Her hand outstretched and reaching halfway, waiting to meet in the middle.
Are you going to take it after all or did I think of you too brave?

A flash of surprise passed across Percy's features, quickly replaced by an expression of pure glee. He gracefully took the princess' hand, leading her to the center of the floor, ignoring the looks of jealousy he had received, not unused to the expression on others' faces. He twirled her gently and swayed side to side. "I am called Percy, what do they call you? Gorgeous? Lovely?" He guessed, a small smile gracing his lips.

A smile flashed between Sinuhe's tusks, genuine. He seemed to have picked out the right stranger from the crowd. "Ah, Azlat, I am glad you could make it. I trust the journey treated you well?"

He followed her as she wove between members of the crowd, until they landed next to a windowed alcove, out of the way of the other party goers. Shutters opened out to a view of the courtyard below. A beautiful fountain gurgled in the center of the yard, loud enough to be heard even through the chatter of the party around them. Sinuhe let out a breath and relaxed his shoulders as he watched the group of young men who had previously be goading him disappear from sight.

"Thank you, my lady," he said, giving another grateful bow to the woman. "I owe you for the assistance. Ask of me anything you like, and I will answer truthfully." It was a rare gift, in a court of lies like this.

Azlat Ushus

The layers of her dress swayed in the brisk pace they walked in. Layers of blue silk upon white and red, embroidered and patterned to the highest quality. Light veils and dangling bracelets. gems and jewellery. A soft rustle she made wherever she moved, yet so quiet among the chatter of people and the musician's play. »Dune, call me Dune.« She spoke with a tinge of boldness to her calm tone, seemingly only now getting out of her polite shell.

Truly, the people that surrounded the dance floor looked in surprise, maybe even contempt if they were daring enough. But woe if they were found scowling at the younger sister of the Mulay! Too scared they were, and now with green eyes they became onlookers.
They were little people, easily forgotten. And while Dune dared not look back in case she crossed glances with Danush, she upheld a facade that positively beamed.
»Have you wandered here all alone?« She mused a question with a trailing tone that vanished into the rhythm of the music. Her body twirling every so often on cue, the grip she held with Percy was light and gentle.

Percy Slayer Zafir

“Quite so. Oh, I’ve so many stor̢ies to regale you with, my dear, do w͜alk and listen.” Azlat continued to speak in the candor of an old acquaintance finally reunited. The two trotted off in their given direction. Azlat hadn’t the slightest clue where they were going, given she’d never travelled to Jaleyaana. The only destination that was relevant was simply one that was elsewhere, given the situation Sinuhe had spoken of.

The only concern over location that Azlat held was the availability of potential escape routes, should her conversation go sour as it had back in Bhathairk. Windows led to the courtyard which was enough to enable a hasty escape, should such an exit become necessary. Sinuhe, though Orcish, did not appear to be of Bhathairk, but Azlat’s stay within the city had been too brief to become truly familiar with it and the possibility could not be discounted. Avoiding the topic of her religion appeared prudent, just in case Sinuhe too might fly into a rage at the name of Neha.

Azlat was surveying the scene beyond the window when he spoke.

"Thank you, my lady," Sinuhe expressed with a cordial bow, offering an honest answer to a given question in his gratitude. Azlat wondered how best to phrase her inquiry, as she was bound to raise suspicion were she to bluntly ask of any such allegiances to the hostile city. It seemed best to make a general inquiry.

“Well, I've not set fo͞ot in the western desert before. Much of Liadain is still so n͟ew to me. Tell me, what sights and cities have you seen?” Azlat asked, keeping her question open and vague while leading to the knowledge Azlat wished to know. Hopefully what response she received would be absent the concerning name of Bhathairk. Were it so, Sinuhe would seem as likely to react with anger as the previous orc she'd met there. And as far as she knew, they could still well be tracking her down. It was more likely than not, given their displayed determination in doing so.

She held no clue, and a lack of geographic wisdom left her unable to determine much by observation. Hiding her concerns behind her continued cordial smile, Azlat awaited his reply.

Sinuhe

Last edited:
The woman's question did not surprise him. His garb was more muted in pattern and color than the average Sereti denizen, and he didn't look like he belonged to any of the orcish tribes from the mountains. Even a stranger to the courts could notice such inconsistencies. Sinuhe had grown accustomed to answering the same questions from other curious parties. However, Sinuhe was still slow to answer, a look of concerned contemplation clear on his face, even through the tusks. The problem now was that he had promised to tell the truth.

"My tribe hails from the black-soil valleys of southern Amol-Kalit, in a place called Nasura. We are known for our swordsmasters and our coffee, though I don't have much interest in either craft." Sinuhe paused to take a sip of his piping hot tea, frowned at the sour-spiced taste of it, and then continued. "As for travel, I have gone along the Cortosi Coast as far as the Falwood Stone, and up the Baal-Asha as far as Seluca, where I reside now." There, that would do it. A nice, truthful summary of his journeys that would not prompt too much curiosity. He needn't go on.

Damn his tongue, then, that he kept talking.

"Ah, I nearly forgot. When I had just come of age, my elders sent me away to Bhathairk. I had a weak constitution, you see. They thought some time in the Old Stronghold would toughen me up."
Sinuhe let out a light chuckle, as if he were telling a quaint story about his boyhood. "It didn't work - I studied merchant's law instead."

Azlat Ushus

Azlat listened intently as Sinuhe listed off the locations he'd travelled. He'd thankfully included directions with his answer, and it was enough for Azlat to roughly determine where they all were. Somewhere in Amol-Kalit were kingdoms of apparent hostility to Thagretis, and Azlat neither knew what their reasons were, nor exactly which ones.

Stlll, Zufar had been a Kaliti too, and Azlat had to admit there was nothing much amiss about him. Neither did much seem amiss about Sinuhe's, and by his account he was another who had departed the western sands to travel. The lone encounter had not entirely dismissed her concerns, but it was soothing to know Sinuhe was at least unlikely to carry fealty to kingdoms that could seek conflict – which remained the greatest present concern upon Azlat's mind. Sinuhe seemed unlikely to start a fight. Azlat could reference the locations he mentioned in her map at some point later on, and gain greater familiarity with the new lands she'd recently been roaming.

Her thoughts were given an immediate pause in shock at Sinuhe's mention of Bhathairk, evaporating any sense of safety formerly interpreted. Of belief that Sinuhe would fly into a rage at discover of her identity, Azlat quickly gave a mental her options in the event of violence. They'd only known what she looked like in robes and face paint, which she had thankfully gone without for this excursion. Azlat's appearance now was entirely different, and it seem likely that he would not recognize her out of ceremonial attire.

Except for her eyes. That might need explanation...

At least she could take solace in the fact that the window remained nearby as a backup option.

“I se͢e. I've not been to Bhathairk I must say. ...How lo͡ng ago w͠as tha҉t?” Azlat continued, hiding her concern as best she could while continuing the conversation with care.

Sinuhe

Last edited:
It was with a turn and a spin, most perfectly timed, that Darduran, Scion of Enku, flowed across the floor with graceful steps and wind-kissed grip. His bright shimmering blue robes flared and fanned and settled as his hands took the young Lala Dune's own into their palms, gentle as a spring breeze come across the sands.

"Dune, if I may," he said with confident smirk as he kept with the step of the music, and most importantly her. A mirror, that shimmered and shook in that way mirages did. So graceful did Darduran of Seluca move. "Had you wings to fly, where would one chase you, the cool wind does wonder," his silver eyes burned bright, like pools of distant stars, and not once did his smile falter, while stares did dig and gazes burned as they followed.

Princess Dune

At the last spin with Percy, Dune saw herself spinning and spinning away from those pale hands. Her dress rose and spun as if swooped up by the western mountain breeze. Into foreign hands, she was led, but ones she hesitated not to touch. The exchange was as seamless as the rolling dunes.
To such unrestrained charm, free of hesitation, she only could return a smile. »Fear you not the envious eyes, « she smirked, stepping in pace with this mysterious thief before meeting his silverine eyes with her crystalline blues. »Then the wind has already stolen me! «

A winning smile spread across Darduran's full lips, his eyes on hers as their bodies twist and twirled and shook with the shimmering sounds of the music.

She spoke, and he listened, his eyes and ears drinking in all she offered, smile and step, and closeness. "What fear has the wind? For their eyes and all their envy, cannot see it," he grew closer still, scandalously so amidst a court so dignified "But whisper where, and this wind will take you," he moved back, smile beaming with unabashed pride, his glittering gaze mischievous. "There and everywhere, you so desire, Dune whose eyes quench the driest thirst," He spun away, a show of his grace and form. An easy and elegant strength, that moved his long limbs with fluid command. Wide hands spread out like fans and feathers as his blue and white robes shone like stars across a gentle noon sky.

Like a sail she responded to every move, led by it across the dancefloor. »So they look, and they cannot see? «
Onlooking eyes, insidious and sour, yet seemingly loyal and kind! They peered in contempt, oh was it the greatest of noble lies?!
But her sapphire eyes gazed with a softness so genuine. Full of life as an oasis mid a desert, no Fata Morgana on fool's day!
»The wind too has to stop when cast against the forest. Perhaps you may seem too brazen.«

There was a bang on the table. Seems as if somebody grew courageous at the far-off table...

As soon as Zafirs's robe fell against his body once more, Dune fell out of step and stopped, that smile now shooked. Behind 'Darduran' some steps away slowly from the crows emerged Heydar, son of Queen Iman.
Zafir Azlat Ushus Sinuhe Percy Slayer

• Smug
Reactions: Zafir
"All such things can hope to do is slow the heaven's currents, Princess," he smiled, bright and sure and without a worry.

Come the harsh bang. The sound of startle that did ripple through the crowds. The hushed whispers and rustlings of jewels and beads softly set astir by the to and fro that came with gossips.

The music stopped. And Darduran turned to meet the young prince, with no hint of fear in his starry eyes.

"Your highness," the young noble addressed the Son of Queen Iman with a bow. "Would you like for me to offer you a dance as well?" he smiled, and outstretched his hand.

Princess Dune Azlat Ushus Sinuhe

• Devil
Reactions: Sinuhe