Quest As We Once Were[Templar]

Organization specific roleplay for governments, guilds, adventure groups, or anything similar
Anastasia stepped in, moving to the side to let the departing elf pass. The curtain closed behind her, cutting off the dark world beyond the tent. She was abruptly taken aback by how homely the small, warm space was. Like another world. She shook her head, dismissing this.

"I don't care what you think of me," she informed with that same, perpetual softness to her tone. "This matter is more important than myself, I won't let things like pride prevent progress."

There was no hint of judgement in her words, just a genuine attempt to explain herself and her behavior. If the elf wanted her dealt with afterwards, then she'd raise her chin and take the punishment. As long as she was heard. As long as she had a chance to change things for the better.

She stayed at the threshold, feeling no need to intrude further. "I am worried that will happen here though. That emotions from a time I can't even fathom will doom us now, in the present. But..." she paused, her voice a touch shaky. "Is it not our duty to think beyond ourselves, to sacrifice ourselves and do everything we possibly can to bring all the light we can into this world?" She implored, aware that her insinuation that the elf before her was not doing this could cause quite the insult.

But she wasn't trying to speak to the elf, she was trying to appeal to the Templar Knight that stood before her. It did not matter that their species were different, or that the elf had seen more events than Ana could ever fathom. Their motivations, their very core was the same.

Anastasia hoped that was enough.

She continued on, not giving the elf a moment to respond, flat out desperate to be heard. "I'm aware that you are in no danger of crumbling. But we are. And if you don't help us, the part of the world that we protect will abruptly become swallowed in darkness. And this will continue as each chapter flickers out, until it is just you, the immortal elves, trying to shoulder a task far too large for one group to handle. We can't let it get to that point. We need to... strengthen our position in this world. And you're right. It will come with sacrifices. We will risk another schism. But if we can do some real good, aren't we suppose to shoulder that cost? I'm not judging you for your hesitation. Every chapter has experienced pain, and every chapter can be faulted for thinking about themselves and forgetting our higher cause."

"But I believe we can be better than that again. Please, don't get angry. You don't even have to respond. Just think on my words before you make your decision," she implored one last time, her voice still soft yet impassioned.

She had meant to have a conversation but she had been so desperate to say it all, she spilled it all out without stopping. She felt foolish for it, even to some degree wished she could take it all back. But the words still felt necessary. Regardless of how ... messily they were delivered. Oh Gods, so messily...

She flushed red and took a step back, abruptly ready to leave. "Excuse me."

Last edited by a moderator:
Saul paused for just a moment, considering the words.

They were so divided, so broken, even with their own Chapters. How had it come to this? How had they been pushed so far. His lips thinned slightly, his fingers wrapping around the hilt of his sword as he tried from letting his anger show.

The schism had done so much damage. Far too much. "I have told this to the others as well..."

He was hesitant bringing it up given their discussion just a few seconds ago, but she needed to know. It would not have been fair otherwise, and Saul was not the type to keep information hidden unless it absolutely had to be. Otherwise he would not have been the leader he was.

"It is likely that we will have to spill Templar blood." He frowned at those words, just as he had before. "There are those who will see coming together as a betrayal."

He paused. "And there are those who would see your Chapter gone."

Saul was of course speaking of the Templar Orders who were zealous that any sort of magic was sacrament. Even that which could only be good.

• Yay
Reactions: Fëanáro Elrohir
The Templar order of now was fractured beyond belief. Multiple orders spanning the different races that once stood as one, now more than eager to take out one another if the end justified the means.

They were in such a sad state that Calariel could tolerate no longer. However, at the end of the day, she was just one elf. She may have followers of her own, but in the grand scale of things, did the small amount of them even matter? She'd come to the meeting with a hopeful resolution, but their reality was a bleaker one.

Commander Talith mentioned that it was highly likely that they would have to spill the blood of their Templars, and that was not something that came as a surprise to her.

They've arrived at such a stage that reconciliation between the extremists and those of like minds such as her and the commander were pretty much impossible, and they would most definitely come to blows.

"I understand fully what you mean." She answered with a grave nod.

"I could say the same for yours." She continued.

A thought then came to mind. Why stay fractured and spilt up when those of like mind could gather and band as one?

"I would be happy to fight with you when the time comes." She paused.

What she would suggest then would cause most to call her a heretic without a doubt.

"Perhaps, when the time comes, those who share the same dream should band together and form a new united order?"

Now this was a long shot in the darkness.

Never had Fëanáro been lectured by a human, let alone one who was barely a child in the grand scheme of things. She could see it on her features, young, naive, foolish. She felt the tiny hairs on the back of her neck stand on end, the tips of her pointed ears burning in contained anger. However despite her desires to silence the woman before her, she allowed her to say her part, finish what she started.
"I admire your bravery and tenacity, soldier, but do not dare try and question things you have no idea about." She replied coolly, placing the glass of wine down and moving closer. She circled the woman like a female Gathamhr, a predator around her prey. Her circling ceased when she was stood directly in front of Anastasia. "You speak of sacrifice and yet I can see it in your face, your eyes, I can sense it, you know very little of the sacrifices needed to dedicate oneself entirely to the Templar ways." Her voice remained calm, collected, yet her features showed very clear disdain, her pale gaze piercing as it never left her face.

"My Sisters and I have given everything we had, we have forsaken our futures for the Order, for the Templar way. We have stripped ourselves of our social standings, noble or peasant, we stand as one, Sister beside Sister." She told the woman, her voice growing a little more sharp, her tattooed features creasing at the corners at the insult, the sheer idea that they had not sacrificed. "Our names are merely remnants of what we were before joining. Love, that I can see burns so deeply in your soul, for someone close to you, we have discarded so that only the Order, so that only the Templar are our devotion, our duty and cause, there can be no other."
Elrohir finally broke her gaze and moved back across the tent, pulling her long flowing white hair from the tight ponytail that it had been kept in all day, loosening the strands with a shake of her head. "You speak as a Templar, yet you are unwilling to sacrifice what must be discarded, you are young, so very young and naive, so full of hope." She turned back to Ana, her lips pursed. "You have yet to see the horrors of this world, the death and hate that can befall you by those closest. So do not lecture me, like I do not know the way of the Templar, we are the Templar, embodied." She seethed, again she paced back over.

The smooth skin of the backs of her fingers traced Ana's jawline, the Elf before her taking in her features. Her voice was lower, smoother, but venom dripped from every word. "How can a member of an Order, so willing to shed the blood of their own Chapter, lead by a man who can barely keep his own people together, even hope to question the thriving might of the Mehtayar." She hissed low.
"When the time comes, how can you expect us to trust a mage hating Order, so willing to strike at their own Templar's, to watch our backs and fight side by side. Once before we did that, once before we lost so many of our people to the likes of your kind..." Fëanáro let her words linger, before she retreated her touch as though Ana's skin was hot, she felt the power the woman held, the power to render everything she was and could be, completely eradicated. It disgusted her.

Elrohir once again picked up her wine, taking a sip and leaning herself against the middle pole of the tent, her eyes narrowed a fraction, elegant features determined. "Choose your next words carefully soldier, lest you speak more of what you do not know and insult me further." It was no threat, her words were true and she spoke as a ranking officer and no longer as the Elf before Ana, her hardened exterior returning once more.

Anastasia

Anastasia didn't waver under the elf. Nor did she bristle or find insult in her words. She listened, her eyes softened and unhardened by loss, sure. But they searched the elf's face, truly trying to understand her. She was young, yes. Naive in some things and imprudent in others. But there was also a genuine attempt at doing good here-- at finding an understanding with the elf, of achieving what her predecessors failed and brokering some level of partnership between them again.

"If you are all those things, then help us find that way. We are not those people. We are not unwilling to change. If you know more, then show us.Participate. Our lives are short and we're giving you the chance to have an influence in how the next generation of Templars conduct themselves.We can't do this alone."

"Templar to Templar, I'm asking for your help. Don't let us die out."

Elrohir finished her glass and placed it down on the compact counter that housed the decanter and two glasses, she rested there for a moment, leaning on her knuckles to give her feet a rest from the heavy armour she had yet to remove, something she would need the help of her Sisters for. It was one of the downsides to not carrying light, she supposed. As Anastasia spoke, she listened and thought, considered the actions of both sides and how a possible alliance may go. The animosity and distrust would be something both would find it extremely difficult to overcome, but perhaps, there could be a future.
Sighing low, she could not argue with the woman's words, sure she had insulted not only Fëanáro but her entire Order, with her presumptions, but perhaps that was one of the things they could change, perhaps they did indeed need each-other. But things still remained to cloud the idea with uncertainty, the Order of the Sacred Rose being present was one of them, no real rivalry was present between the two Chapters, but everyone in both Orders knew full well there was history between the two Commanders of each.

"Then I suppose it is our sworn duty to assist where we can, however even if I wanted to, that is not my call. I am merely an ambassador of the Mehtayar; Lady Sothrilsil will call the decision." She stated, turning back to Anastasia and inclining her head reluctantly. "But, I shall discuss what you have said when I commune with her myself. If we are to help, things must change between our Orders and I do not expect anymore gung-ho Broken Swords to barge into my encampment uninvited and there will be no single Order, we will not dissolve ourselves to be lead by treachery and deceit. This much I know." She stated simply.
The Knight-Sergeant placed her helm beneath her arm and gestured for the woman to follow as she left the tent, marching towards the meeting she had left so abruptly. Now she just needed to find a middle ground. Commander Talith's ideal future was not the ideal future of the Mehtayar, something Lady Sothrilsil would never agree to, but an alliance of sorts may not be out of the question.

Fëanáro felt like she was making a grave mistake, but Templar stood beside Templar, even if it meant the end of a dream.

Anastasia | Saul Talith | Calariel Halorien

Anastasia practically crumbled to her relief, it painted clear as child-like day across her face. She nodded in acknowledgement to the woman's words, the tips of her ears going a little red as she was reminded of her ill-manners.

And just like that she was left turning on her heels to keep up with the lithe-footed elf, her face alight with her excitement as she followed the woman on her approach to Saul.

Four to four. They had four out of four votes of agreement. Conditional agreement, mind you. But agreement nonetheless. The cloud hanging over her head lessened and for the fist time, she truly believed Saul could find them a way out of their own chapter's impending schism.

"That is the hope." He said outloud, glancing towards the door that Ana had used earlier before he returned his attention to the elf.

"Though it is more difficult than you might think." For more reason than one. "There would be arguments about who would lead. Which Chapter would take one, duties. Hell even what food should be grown in the communal gardens."

He shook his head with a slight frown. "We've been apart for so long I fear that many of us no longer know how to work together."

That was something he and Ana had often discussed. The Chapters after the schism had all turned to their own ways, reuniting them would be difficult, even if it was all under the same umbrella. Saul still wanted it of course, but he had no illusions about how hard it would actually be.

"Perhaps it is because you have lost the true purpose of our Orders, Commander." She interjected, looking to Saul as she spoke, before shifting her attention to Calariel. It had been a very long time since she had seen the woman, even if their meeting prior had been brief, it was difficult to forget the woman; her unusually dark hair and striking green eyes had that effect. "Hissa sister Halorien, I hope all is well." She greeted the other Elf, though resisted the natural inclination to use her native tongue, for the benefit of those unable to understand it.
Turning back to Saul, she placed her helm atop the table, directly in the middle of his map and set her hands atop the surface, leaning in. Time for pleasantries was long gone. "I will be curt with you Commander Talith, Templar to Templar: Your dream I do not agree with, nor would any self respecting Order." Her gaze briefly moved to Calariel with a somewhat apologetic look, knowing if she was there, it was likely because she agreed with Saul. "You spoke of shedding the blood of your fellow Templar who would see you as a heretic, in doing so you expect the rest of us to join you in doing so, turning against our own people." She expressed, since he had already stated that was exactly his intentions, or perhaps a necessity if nothing else.

"That makes you no better than those who turned on friend and foe alike during the Schisms, your focus on rebuilding a long lost Order, that even at it's height, was doomed to fail as history has repeated itself." She continued, looking at those around the table now. "With the fracture among our Orders even now, that task would be impossible. Because of this, I know the Mehtayar Order will not follow you, not even when we are at our lowest, treachery and deceit does not make a good leader." She spoke truthfully, from the heart, no longer noting ranks, but standing among Templar.
"However, if you look beyond your own selfish desires and towards the future of our purpose, perhaps there need not be any bloodshed, we are not here to fight one another, we are here, as Templar's to fight that which we have dedicated our entire lives and existence to. The scourge of the Undead and the rampant Dark Magic that seeps into the very earth of Arethil." She demanded, slapping a metal palm to the map as if to emphasis her point.

"We, as Templar, as brothers and sisters, no matter our Order, must look to Arethil first and foremost, we must make sure that we do not lose sight of our duty and purpose, what we exist to do, no matter our own desires or pride. None of it must stand in our way." She stood back from the table, drawing her helm back towards her, her pale gaze searching everyone present.
She did not expect it to be that easy, of course, but perhaps, she hoped at least that her words would strike a cord somewhere.

She kept her stead to a slow amble as she crept up the way to the gate of the Keep. Having seen the imposing structure from afar never gave her a clear indication of just how large the structure was up close. Her view inside her helm was still inspiring and in that same moment alarming. How many people it would take to maintain and fully garrison was a thought she could not completely fathom. With how the chapters were now, no such thing was possible. Nearing the gate, she held her shield out with the Black Rose insignia with her armored foot, leaving it tied to the left side of her saddle.

"Skuld Zajac, Order of the Black Rose, Templar. I am here to attend the meeting." She withheld her rank, unsure of just who was here and how her order stood with the others. The Black Rose had branched off to hunt specific prey, leaving the others to do as they pleased while they remained focused on removing the threat of dark magic from their world. Their methods were a tad, oversealous sometimes, but they did what needed to be done to root out evil. After recieving permission to enter, she let the shield rest and slid off of her horse, walking into the courtyard before her.

Camps of soldiers on both side made her grip the handle of her hammer tightly as the wings on the back of her armor danced as she walked forward. She left her visor down, her armor leaving no indication that a woman was beneath the steel shell. She was directed to where the commander was currently, not wasting time with introductions as she continued to pull the horse along with her, refusing to let anyone take the beast.

Letting go of the reins, she left the heavily saddled stead remain just outside the door as she entered, stooping a little to make sure the wings of her armor did not catch the door. A man and an elf were inside having what she assumed was a discussion, and she allowed them to continue until they gave her their attention. The small Black Rose insignia present on a small cord dangling from her shoulder.

• Yay
Reactions: Saul Talith
Perhaps, they were fated to continue down the path of fractured, splintered Templar orders of different races after all. The problems and difficulties suggested by Commander Talith was a sound and logical one, and not something that Calariel had taken into the picture. She had been looking so much into the bigger picture and their future that she had glossed over picking out the finer details such as the ones that had been mentioned.

All of them were fully reasonable questions and problems, and they were indeed challenges that needed to be solved before they could even be one. Perhaps, an alliance of sorts would be best for now.

"You speak the truth Commander. I had neglected to think about such things and now realised them to be so. You may be right that we have been spilt so long that living together would prove to be highly difficult."

Pondering for a brief moment, she continued. "We would have to make a first step in working together, before we can get into anything else. An Alliance, is what I'm thinking about. A good opportunity would be a joint mission to wipe out the undead or some necromancer. I find that fighting side-by-side in battle and winning tends to make bonding a little easier."

He nodded. "I believe that is where we start."

Saul had never come here expecting the Chapters to unify outright. He was an idealist, but he was far from crazy. He knew that things would take time, perhaps longer than his lifetime, but he also believed that they would get there eventually. Fingers tightened on the table for a moment.

"I think it's best we get everyone together." He told Calariel. "Everyone that has gathered so far."

For some reason The Commander doubted more would come. "We can create the basis of a treaty, or at least come up with some joint tasks for our chapters."

Then from there, they could move on to something more...binding.

With a wave of his hand he urged the Knight Commander to follow him back into the courtyard. He wanted to speak to the others first, and then he had something else in mind.

Calariel Halorien | Anastasia | Skuld Zajac | Fëanáro Elrohir | Kharyck Khrord

• Yay
Reactions: Calariel Halorien
The commander had agreed with her suggestion, and so that is how it was decided by both man and elf.

Calariel knew that she didn't speak for all elves (not that she was intending too anyway), just like Saul here did not speak on behalf of all humans, but nevertheless, this was always a start. Baby steps.

Hopefully, just hopefully, once they get the ball rolling, the rest of other like-minded Templars who may be hesitant of being the first may even join them. She could only hope.

What else is there but hope anyway? Despair? She was having none of that.

Her human counterpart spoke about gathering all of the Templars that had gathered today as he began to walk out back into the courtyard. She followed him immediately without hesitation and awaited his next move.

She was curious to see what he had up his sleeve.

• Yay
Of course, he was suddenly headed off by the other elf that had joined them, coming back into the room and slamming her hand on the table. He frowned for a brief moment as she spoke, lips thinning as he cleared his throat.

"I will spill only the blood that is necessary." Saul's voice was even and calm. He did not like being accused of carrying out subterfuge, if only because he had always made himself clear to anyone around him. It was why the other Commanders of the Broken Sword hated him. It was why he knew he would have to fight.

There were those that would oppose working together, those that would stop it at all costs. It was they who would die, and only they.

"Arethil must be protected, but it cannot be done with a handful of Templar here and a handful there." He bit back the harshness of his tone. "Even now this world is being ravaged. Liches run wild in the Reach, the Undead pull themselves from the sands, and the north is ruled by a Giant bathed in fire."

Molthal, he wanted to spit the name. "My desire is far from selfish. It is pragmatic. I don't care if it's me who brings us together or anyone else."

His gaze swept over the others.

"Alone we can't stand against the tide, but together, together we have a chance." The Commander tightened his fingers for a moment. "I do not expect unity overnight, maybe ever, but I do expect cooperation. Alliances that can actually be of use."

He paused for a moment, making his point once more. "I will reach out to every Chapter with an offering of peace, an Olive Branch freely given to join in an Alliance to simply support one another in greater campaigns against evil."

That was the crux of this, what he wanted to accomplish here. A bond between Chapters that would allow them to support each other.

"But, I know there will be those that oppose this. They will see your Chapter, even my Chapter, as sacrilege against the old ways." Anti-magic was bad enough for some, but the pyromancy? That was horrid to even some 'Tolerant" Chapters. "But the old ways are dead. Done. I don't care what magic you practice. As long as you stand with me against the tide."

"And that is all I ask. Help me when I call for you. Stand by my side against the tide of darkness creeping across the land. You do not have to follow me, just come to my aid when it is needed, as I will come to yours." That was the whole point of this. He was not trying to pave the way back towards the old Order, but bring about something new. Something that could help instead of just flailing in the dark.

It was a long way off, decades probably, but for now he would settle with a system ofsupport. Shared resources, information, simple.

As he finished his gazed wandered towards Skuld Zajac, somewhat surprised to see yet another Chapter.

Ana came to stand off by Saul's side, warmed by the presence of Leane following in behind her, pressing an encouraging hand to her back. Slowly, all six of the other templars Saul had brought with him stood up, falling into flank at his side as the courtyard became truly overflowing with other factions.

All nine of the Broken Sword chapter were similar in age, a bonded group whose loyalty to each other was unwavering.

They said nothing, it wasn't their place. Saul stood at the head of them, his position clear and unspoken. Some of them stood relaxed, at ease, while others like Ana scanned the new faces with tension in their bodies. They were aware of how dangerous this task was, and all eyes fell heavily to the new knight entering the courtyard.

Skuld Zajac

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Yay
Skuld had remained quiet, but noticing the attention from the people behind the Commander, her helmed gaze wandered over each one of them slowly. With the commanders attention on her suddenly, she removed the helm and held it beneath her arm, giving the man a small nod to acknowledge that her presence was known.

She could do no more than listen to what was proposed and report back to her chapter, being as she was the only one from the Black Rose in attendance. She wasn’t about to agree to something without speaking with the other Black Rose’s. She wasn’t entirely sure how the Commander could grab the attention of all the splintered chapters, but with how he spoke, it seemed he was entirely ready for extreme measures.

She watched from afar, content with being on the outskirts of the meeting in the courtyard. Being the center of meetings within her own chapter were difficult enough, never mind having the full attention of other chapters on her.

Fëanáro Elrohir | Calariel Halorien | Saul Talith | Anastasia