Private Tales As the Skies Clear

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Len Dy't B-taa

The Grand Terios
Character Biography
Link
The Rain Dance, or the Ngoma ya Mvua as he'd heard people here call it, had so far been an incredible event. Never had Len seen such an incredible civilization in such close proximity to the water, so detached from the rest of the world. The sheer spectacle of it all left him reeling ever since he'd sailed with Medja and the other Empire representatives through the massive sea gate that had brought them here.

The food was delectable, the architecture shockingly similar to that of the Kingdom from which he'd come, and people had welcomed him with open arms in the short time he'd gotten to know them.

It had been a rather embarrassing start; Len had broken into a dance unlike any he'd performed in quite some time upon listening to the wondrous sounds these people produced with their instruments, and it had created a slight air of awkwardness amongst some of the other guests.

After quickly and meekly eating the meal that had been so graciously provided to him, he made himself scarce and spent much of the celebrations apart from the others, exploring the surrounding beauty of the Island Paradise and meeting some of the indigenous peoples it homed, eager to learn of their culture.

Len hadn't forgotten about the promise he'd made to Noelani, however. The breathtaking Princess of the Mchawi had quickly taken an interest in him, an interest which was very much shared. Regrettably, their time had been cut short by her duties, but not before they'd agreed to meet up again later in the evening. B-taa would not have missed it for the world.

A chance to speak again with a woman of such elegance, to learn more of her story, while also sharing tales of his own people's history, that alone would make the journey here worthwhile, not that the incredible hospitality of the Mchawi had not already accomplished that feat.

Still, it was with an eager step that he headed back to that same place which he'd danced and dined, now lit by flames in the waning sunlight. He would need to ask Noelani if there was a place it would be acceptable for him to bathe before the night's end; his armor was becoming uncomfortable, and he knew that his flesh would call for water when he removed it.

Of course, he would need to find her first.

Noelani

• Smug
Reactions: Noelani
"I'm not tired," the small child yawned as Lani carried her up the steps, smoothed by the passage of time, to the palace where her sister waited to collect the tiny terror. It had been impossible to pry her from Skull-Hammers side for most of the evening, only managing it when the girl had fallen asleep curled up around the orc's pet turtle.

"No but I am tired," Lani faked her own yawn. "And you promised to read me a bedtime story, remember?" Her niece fixed her with those eyes that seemed to know too much for one so young, and for a moment Lani wondered if she would call her out for her tale. Thankfully the girl finally nodded as though she did remember the imaginary conversation.

"I will tell you a story then... then I'll... come back," Lani pressed a kiss to the top of the young girls head to hide her smile.

Naturally by the time she had made it to the very top her niece was fast asleep and did not make so much as a whimper as she was transferred from her aunt to her mothers awaiting arms. The two sisters exchanged kisses of goodnight before going their separate ways. Lani gave a soft, contented sigh as she meandered her way back down to the main party. Most of it had broken up for the evening. The entertainment had headed down to the beach where a large fire had been lit and the drums beat for dancers. This spot had turned into a place of refuge for those wanting peace to hold conversations and enjoy one another's company under the canopy of stars. It had seemed an apt place to meet with the man time seemed to have forgotten.

Medja had been quite close-lipped about where she had found the stranger, though the glint in her eyes had said it was an interesting tale. The Princess found herself all too eager to hear of how a man who seemed to have walked out of the Histories, had come to be. She spied him when she was still little less than halfway down the rocky steps to the palace, perfectly in line with the highest branches of some of the yaw-yaw trees. Sensing an opportunity for mischief she took to the branches and stealthy stalked the man as he meandered about their meeting place. From the way his head swung side to side it was clear he was searching for her. She pressed her lips tight together so as not to give her game away with laughter.

With stealth that would rival the jaguars that called her island home, Noelani climbed down the trees and hopped from branch to branch, until she settled into the tree under which he had decided to sit and wait. She carefully settled onto the branch just above his head then allowed herself to fall backward, so that she came almost face to face with him, swinging by her knees.

"Enjoy your walk?"

It was rare that Len was caught unaware by anything; In his previous life, to be surprised was death. That rule was still burned deep into his bones even now, which was why the sudden presence of a face mere inches from his own caused him to react with reflexes nearly rivaling Noelani's own.

The warrior shifted his momentum in mid-step, pushing himself backwards and posing himself on the heel of his back leg. A mask of cold, calculated fury briefly came over his features, and his arm snapped like lightning to his back, searching for a weapon he had not even brought with him.

Only then did his eyes catch up with his instincts, and he realized who it was he'd just taken such an aggressive stance with.

"Lady Noelani!" B-taa quickly corrected his posture and stood straight, lowering in a bow to she who had so warmly welcomed him into her homeland. "Forgive me, I was startled." He apologized, rising once more and casting a glance above them, noting the tree which she'd descended to accomplish such a feat of stealth.

Incredible. Even he who had scaled the Fifth Great Tree and danced with death upon her branches would have struggled to climb along such winding branches with any degree of silence. A silent expression of awe parts Len's lips as he steps underneath the twisting ways of the wood. Perhaps he would have an opportunity to attempt such a thing himself before he departed?

"I have. This land is like something out of my dreams." Len murmured, still coming out of his mesmerized haze as he looked back toward his lovely host. "I grew up in the sands, where water was a luxury. I never dreamed anybody lived in a place so abundant with it. Everybody here has been so kind, so understanding of me, even when I find myself oblivious to your customs."

At that, he's reminded of something. A smile forms upon his lips, and he curls them in an attempt to pronounce the word he'd been taught.

"Mchawi. That is what the people call you. They speak of you with such reverence, and there is a glimmer in their eyes whenever I speak your name. You are truly beloved, Lady Noelani. From what I have heard and experienced thus far, it is well-deserved. But I find myself curious... what is a Mchawi?"

After a pause, he laughs.

"Though... I suppose I do owe you some answers of mine own, do I not?"

Noelani

• Smug
From the delighted expression on her face it seemed as though his reaction was the one she had been hoping for and that it had caused no insult.

"And I cannot imagine how anyone can live in the sands," Noelani countered, still swinging back and forth from the branch whilst Len collected himself. The delight at surprising him only seemed to grow as he described her islands. It was always a joy for her to hear how others adored a place she called home and held such pride for. Her family had worked hard for centuries to make it the paradise it was, and would continue making sacrifices for it in order to protect the lifestyle they had here. Such as their assimilation into the Empire.

"I believe you promised in return for letting you run about my island," Lani laughed and unwrapped her legs from the branch. Using the strength of her arms alone she hung from the branch and flipped herself over to drop down into the sands below on her feet, as agile as a jungle cat. "But first, let me show you the answer to your question," she flashed him a grin then inclined her head to show he should follow her.

The Princess led him away from the last remains of the party down a sandy path through the thicket of the jungle. It wasn't long before the pathway opened to reveal a slow running series of falls that created large pools at various heights, before crashing off the edge of the cliff into the oceans beyond.

"Mchawi," Lani repeated as she dipped a foot into one of the pools that was on the same level of the jungle floor as them, "In the Common Tongue translates as Sea Witch," with a curl of her fingers she coaxed a long tendril of water to rise to meet her hand. "Not all of our people are blessed with these gifts, so those that are and pass the trials are named Mchawi."

There was much for Len Dy't B-taa to learn of the new world he'd been thrust into, regarding both this idyllic paradise and the sun-baked Empires that had found him first, wandering aimlessly in rags as the final fingers of the reaper slowly lost their grip on him. That there were still people with benevolent hearts such as Noelani and Medja was the only reason he'd not fallen into the throws of insanity as he realized his own world was no more.

These people were willing to teach him, to integrate him into the society of today. It took a patience he would not have held in his previous life, but for one such as he, who had dedicated his very existence to the service and forwarding of a greater cause, a home was not something he could simply go without. The Grand Terios of the Aberrant Kingdom had indeed died, but through the efforts of The Empress, and the beautiful Mchawi that now led him away from the final vestiges of revelry and into the thick and vibrant foliage of the jungle, Len Dy't B-taa had been born anew, the final Son of The Sand and now an ancient weapon for The Empire to wield high.

"You display incredible strength and agility, Lady Noelani." B-taa observed as he followed close, his eyes having admired the impeccable form with which she'd dismounted the tree. Such maneuverability was trivialized by those who had no experience in such things. "In my time, every man and woman coming of age embarked upon a journey of self-discovery. You would choose a path you wished to follow in life, and climb a great tree representing that path. Upon its massive branches, you would sleep, eat, and be educated and tested on your ability until you were prepared."

Len smiled to himself, picturing in his head a scene of Noelani approaching the Seven Great Trees. Undoubtedly she would be highly sought after by each. Which, he found himself asking his vision, would she choose?

When he opened his eyes, they had arrived at a great falls. Pools of all sizes gathered along the edge of the Jungle, clinging to the earth before eventually concerning to gravity and crashing back to the wide ocean below. A serene mist seemed to envelop the majestic place, as though the world itself kept the existence of the grand falls a secret.

If you'd told Len that this was the very edge of the world, he would have believed you.

"A Sea Witch... the name, in common, almost seems to come with a negative connotation." Len frowned. Even in his time, to be called a witch was not a compliment. The term did not match a creature of such beauty and prowess as Noelani. "I believe I prefer Mchawi." B-taa steps forward, squatting at the edge of the water and runs his finger along the surface. "This place... it does not feel like a place of witchcraft. What is it, then? Is this where the tests occur? Or is it merely a hidden splendor that you wished to bestow upon me? Certainly, it's not the first picture of beauty that I've seen here."

Noelani

• Smug
"No," Noelani smiled at his question about the trials, her eyes sparkling with amusement though not unkindly. "They are just pools, I thought you might want to bathe."

With a wave of her hand the waters of the pool she had been stood in stilled and she stepped onto the surface like one would step onto the shore. She strolled across to the next pool which came to her chest height with the easy care of someone who trusted fully in her magic. Pulling herself up she twisted round to sit on the edge of the rocky border and leave him in semi peace if he did wish to take advantage of the chance to cool off.

"Witch is an unkind word in many parts of the world," she admitted, bringing them back to their original conversation. Drawing one leg up to her chest she rested her chin atop her knee with a thoughtful expression. "But in others it is as blessed as the term priestess or shaman. Here it is no insult, but yes I prefer it in my own tongue," her lips twitched. "It is prettier than the Common Tongue, though I am biased of course. The trials can take place in any body of water, though there are some pools which are considered more sacred than others. Some choose to take then out at sea, others in rivers or lagoons. Water is the same mistress no matter where we go."

"I only know Common Tongue because I was a military man. In hindsight, I am glad. To be resurrected knowing only a dead tongue would be a far more daunting fate..."

If their conversation hadn't been so captivating, Len may have felt slightly embarrassed at acting so dramatically enchanted by a place Noelani found so ordinary. Of course, to him, these pools were a sight the likes of which he'd never been bestowed upon in this life or his previous, but to her it was home, as common as the bird in the sky.

Len turned to watch her as she moved to the next pool, opening his mouth to speak only to find himself without words as she effortlessly stepped upon the surface of the water as though it were land. This was what it meant to be Mchawi, surely. A total mastery over water and the seas, just as Len's with the sands. Indeed, the more time he spent with Noelani, the further kinship he found in her. They were alike, if not somewhat parallel.

"You speak of the ocean as I do the desert." Len rises and follows her to the second pool, walking around the edges to avoid submerging himself. To bathe would mean removing his armor, and such an act of immodesty in the presence of a noble felt akin to disrespect "I can feel the respect and love you hold for the waters in every word that leaves you, Noelani. It is not only your gifts that grant you domain over the sea, but the creed you hold yourself to."

B-taa would have liked to meet a woman like her in his previous life. She would have been one to rival him in grandeur. An ally, perhaps, that he could have depended on when he needed one most. In the end, such a companion might have helped avert the tragedy that had brought his end.

As Len carefully perched himself on the edge of the second pool, he seated himself there, and allowed his legs to submerge, the cool water reaching underneath the thinner armor that covered his legs chilling his warm skin. Len closed his eyes, sighing. This feeling reminded him of the rooftop baths of his Kingdom, where men and women could soak in the waters beneath the blazing sun, the heat above and chill below creating a harmonious balance.

"The Rain Dance... how often do you hold it? I find myself growing fond of this place... I should like to visit more often, if you'd allow my presence..."

Noelani

• Smug
Noelani's smile softened at his compliment. Very often she found it easy to laugh them off from people and dodge them where she could. Her mother and father both had taught her the importance of keeping her ego in check given the status she had and the opportunities it afforded that others did not. She had also learnt first hand from her sisters that she was not the best of the Mchawi. Not yet. Her eldest sister had ten years practise on her, but one day Lani would reach those lofty peaks. But Len did not compliment her skills, he complimented something deeper. Something people often overlooked or mistook for something else like control and dominance.

"The Rain Dance is an annual feast we throw to celebrate the Rains that the Lungs brought to our once dying lands," her fingers flowed through the waters of the pool at their backs. "It is the biggest of our festivals, which is why so many from the mainland make the passage, but there are others. We honour the Mother from who we came, the Lunar cycles, and my fathers birthday as the monarch. There are games the islanders host too, where people race across the waves," she smiled the soft smile of memory.

"But nobody needs permission to visit the Islands. Least of all a friend."