Fate - First Reply A town's last hope

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join

Flint

The Barber
Character Biography
Link
Flint was in trouble.

The life of an adventurer was not taken on with ease. He'd spent years as a barber-surgeon, perfecting his trade and earning himself a living. It meant owning a decent house, avoiding the hardships faced by journeymen and beggars. It meant avoiding danger, unless he'd decided to seek it out for himself -- which he had.

He enjoyed his job. It allowed him to meet all kinds of people, hear all kinds of stories. Though this brought with it a certain degree of envy. He too longed to travel long and wide, to live the life of a valiant hero, a daring loot runner or a hardy monster-hunter. He even had the combat experience to back him up. A childhood of training with his uncle, and a few close encounters with thugs down Elbion's alleyways had allowed him to hone his skill with his blades. His own abilities helped in that domain too.

So, when the barber had first travelled through a town being terrorised by bandits, he'd been excited. Finally, an opportunity to see some action, to prove to himself that he was capable of the adventurer's life. He'd identified some of the resisting townsfolk, joined their effort to fight back against their invaders. They'd questioned a barber's worth in a fight, but Flint was able to assure them that he had capable hands. They'd mounted an assault on the town hall, in which the invaders had taken up residence. A bloody battle ensued, as the townsfolk fought for their home, for their freedom. Flint had done well in combat, but there was only so much they could do against a force that was trained for combat. This was proven to be even more true when it was learned that the bandits were being lead by a Necromancer, who'd been resurrecting the corpses of his fallen allies, possessing those of his slaughtered enemies. The townsfolk were overrun, systematically killed and reanimated. It had reached a point in which only the barber had remained, and Flint found himself fleeing from a small undead army.

He'd taken up residence in one of the town's old barbershops (where else, eh?), in which he'd managed to sew up some of his wounds. Regardless, the barber sat against the wall, wincing against the pain brought on from the previous battle, furious that he'd failed those he'd tried to protect. He lay low, well aware of the revenants that walked by the shop overhead. In his state, and considering the opposition, it appeared as though there was no hope left, until the barber heard something drop to the ground further inside the shop.

At first he thought it to be one of the undead, having finally tracked him down, sneaking through one of the windows out back. He gripped one of his throwing blades, prepared for a last stand. Thankfully, the eyes that his met belonged to a living being, and while they did not resemble one of the townsfolk, the person that crept towards him looked neither like a bandit or like the Necromancer. The barber brought a bloody finger to his lip, urging the newcomer to stay silent, before pointing to the window above, where a corpse walked by. He looked to the newcomer, eager for them to explain themselves.

This was a bad time to go off on his own. He was the captain of a Paladin squad and he had to pick now, this village, with this crisis, to be separated from his team to gather information on the surrounding area. Sure it sounded reasonable to everyone at the time. Just going into town to ask the locals about anything strange, supernatural, or any evil legends regarding the village or any of the nearby ruins.
He certainly didn't need any help for that simple job.

But what he found himself smack dab in the middle of was a hostile takeover, combined with a revolution, that deteriorated into a fricken Zombie Apocalypse! He was just riding through the middle of town, he didn't wear his armor, or even bring his charger Redemption with him. All he had was his sword and a borrowed horse that honestly struggled with his weight.
He found himself surrounded by Zombies, immediately there was no way out and he was forced to dismount or be overwhelmed by their numbers.

They shambled towards him and so he drew his sword, the light kept them at bey at first, but it only held fear for the dead for so long. He was surprised that there were some living among the zombies unaffected by the light, they charged straight in to attack him. As they charged at him and drew closer they almost faltered as his sheer height began to loom over them, but points for them they didn't flee in terror.
He defended himself, cutting down the bandits with relative ease, even though they were skilled swordsmen they weren't quite a match for an elite of the Templar order.
"My condolences to your blackened souls... They won't find peace now." He offered as a prayer as he took the three of them on at once.

It was a brief encounter, their skills were good, but he found the loopholes quickly, and ended each of them in a single strike from his holy blade, one after another before they could sound an alarm.

As soon as the attackers were dealt with he used the remaining light to hold off the zombies while he looked for shelter. He tried to be stealthy once he was out of sight around the corner of the building, sheathing his sword.
Climbing through windows was definitely meant for smaller people, but as the zombies ambled after him he saw his options quickly fading away. He had to find somewhere quiet where he could watch and assess the situation.

He silently opened the window and squeezed inside. He was actually kinda proud of himself that he was able to manage it without too much hassle or noise. Once inside he tried to stay low looking around at his surroundings. He was in a sort of kitchen area and there was a doorway at the far end. He made his way that direction until he found himself staring at a man clutching a bloody knife, rather well dressed and groomed, but sporting some patched up injuries and many blood stains on his clothes.

The man was surprised but seemed a bit relieved. He motioned for silence and beckoned him closer, to which Elijah complied. He waited for the zombie the man indicated to pass by before he spoke in a whisper.
"I'm a Paladin of the Templar order. Do you know what's going on here? Who's raising all of these undead? What's up with the bandits with them?"

• Cheer
Reactions: Flint
Flint almost felt like laughing at his own luck. As the man moved further into the room, his size became more apparent. The guy was huge! The barber had to assume he was part elf, or something else. He stood well taller than Flint, and Flint was tall for a man.

Despite his sheer size, the man moved silently and for that Flint was thankful. Whoever this Paladin was, he clearly understood the graveness of their situation. He identified himself as a member of the Templar Order, who Flint had to admit he had little experience with. Still, Paladins fought for virtue justice and all of that melarky, right?

The barber nodded, pointing towards the room from which the Paladin came. It'd be easier to speak unheard in one of the rooms out back, and their chances of being spotted would be lower. Gritting his teeth, Flint crept towards one of the rooms behind. Part of the shopkeep's living quarters, by the looks of things. Flint held his wounded hand, wincing against the pain as he spoke.
"Name's Flint. I passed by here in search of work. Bandits once terrorised this village, led by some twisted necromancer. I mounted an assault on the bastards alongside some of the townsfolk. As you might have gathered, it didn't go so well".

It felt odd looking up to the man while speaking. It wasn't often he found himself in the company of giants. "The Necromancer is held up in the town hall. I'll bet he's well guarded too. Gods only know what he's doing with the bodies. Did you come here for him?".

He imagined Paladins had a distaste for the undead. Necromancy was an unholy act, or so the barber had heard. He shook his bloody hand towards the Templar indicatively. "One of your gods got something for this?"

Elijah Khalo Celasaer

He followed the man back into the kitchen area. Evidently they could talk more freely here. He listened t his report of the situation and breathed a sigh of relief.
"Only a necromancer? that is good. I was afraid this was the work of a litch, and their impossible to kill without destroying their phylactery. I can handle the undead, but they will keep rising until the summoner can be stopped. I didn't come here searching for a necromancer, but I did come seeking information on the land and anything that might be plaguing the village... I didn't expect to find this, otherwise I would have come fully equipped and with my comrades."
He would definitely feel better if he had his armor on. Thick steel plates were much harder to bite through than embroidered cloth.

He couldn't help but notice the mans injuries that were still troubling him. "If you want I can offer you a prayer of healing before we plan our next move? It's not a complete purification but it'll stich you together well enough. Face the undead hoards fresh for another round."

• Yay
Reactions: Flint
The Paladin sure asked a lot of questions. He didn't seem so fazed by what they faced. He spoke of the Necromancer in the way Flint would speak of a low-level street thug. Flint, however, had seen the dark mage at work. He was a sadistic and ruthless man, and he was more than capable of slaying valiant warriors. The barber hoped the Paladin would keep that in mind.
"Make no mistake here, knight. Lich or not, this guy is dangerous. He's already slaughtered a host of strong warriors, and some of the bandits who serve him. He'll put up a fight."
That said, Flint wouldn't have minded a few more Paladins, if they came in the same size as his ally did. The holy warrior offered a prayer of healing, but urged that it would only do him well enough to survive the next fight. After that he'd need real medical attention.
"Thanks. I'd sew it up myself if the wound wasn't on my hand". The barber waved his hands over the various throwing blades on that were sheathed in the belts that ran under his arms. "Besides, I'm much better use to you when I can throw a few of these, eh?"

He nodded with a smile before kneeling in front of him. Even kneeling with his head bowed he was close to the height of a man standing. He began the prayer, hovering his hands above Flint's injuries. A faint light began radiating from his hands as he spoke.
"Father Tychan, Mother Metisa, Mother Astra. All praise to your names and let full honor and glory be shown in the deeds of the faithful this day. Let your full grace be shown to your humble children and cure us of our ills, let us stand once more in your light to shine in the dark places once more. In your names, let this be so."
He finished the prayer. The light that radiated from his hands and seeped into the body of the man before him, curing the outward appearance and the inward pain of his wounds, filling him with a holy warmth.

After he was finished healing he looked about, "Did everyone in the village take part in the fighting? what about the women and children? I saw non among the undead, where would they have gone to hide? If there is a church in this village it may be a good place to set up a refuge once I re-consecrate the grounds with the proper rituals."
First and foremost they had to get any survivors or refugees to safety. The church was the best bet since that was the domain of the gods, then they need only worry about the still living bandits threatening their safety. Once they have a proper base they could make a plan for their offensive.