Private Tales A Small Camp Fire

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
She raised her bowl with his toast as she wondered at the nature of the nobles game with the McArthurs. They had seemed simple enough people that wanted little trouble save for the occasional fight. She hadn't the faintest idea what could be gained from playing a clan that way.

"It very well could make you one, but a fine arse you would be." she teased as a small chuckle escaped her as she tried to take a bite of stew, the back of her hand covering her mouth as she tried to stop laughing to herself.

• Yay
Reactions: Keiran MacArthur
"My my Templar Skuld, are you trying to make me blush now?" He teased right back, laughing along. It was nice to forget about ones worries and enjoy the moment.

Enjoying here stew, he was fairly proud at how it turned out. He found those same feelings applied to the night in it's entirety. His temporary banishment seemed to had work in his favor and for that, he would be grateful. Stealing a quick glance towards his company he would look away just as quick out of fear he would actually blush and soon he found himself laughing once more.

• Yay
Reactions: Skuld Zajac
"I too am a charming one Mr..." Skuld stopped a moment as she corrected herself. "Kieran."

When he glanced at her and quickly looked away before laughing, she dropped her spoon into the stew and have him a quizzical look. "Is there stew on my face?"

• Yay
"What? No.. Your face is perfect... Perfectly clean..." He cleared his throat having realized his wording. "And it's Keiran o charming one..."

With that said, Keiran finished off he stew and poured himself another bowl. "I'll take care of camp and our horses, you should do well to rest m'lady... By day break we should ride out."

It seemed the night was coming to a close and Keiran was in no way rushing to add any more awkwardness, at least from his part.

• Yay
His initial wording confused her for a moment, her blank faced stare at him broken as she turned a bit red in the face. She bowed her head quickly as the last scoop of stew was finished. "Alright." She awkwardly chirped, the surprise from his compliment evident.

She set the bowl towards the fire, a sure spot to be seen in the light as she took a very long swig of wine from her stash of wine.

"Yes, thank you." Skuld blurted, unsure of how to not act like an impetuous child suddenly. She stood, her skin warm against the cool air as she stretched, feeling very aware of her company.

"Make sure you stay warm." She requested before nodding to him once, twice, almost a third as she took steps backwards into her tent. She sat for a moment facing away from him, the flap still open as she undid the bun her hair was in.

Her hair fell, deft hands splitting the draped hair in half only seconds after setting it free. Her hands froze in the motion as she turned and quickly pulled the flap closed.

"Good night, Keiran!" she called from behind it, her voice carrying dismay in it.

• Yay
"Sweet sleep m'lady..." He said in reply, the smallest of chuckles slipping passed his lips. This night had been full of surprises he had found, much welcomed ones in fact.

With their good nights exchanged, he turned to the tasks at hand. His second bowl of stew was eaten and the bowl joined the one Skuld had placed down. True to his word, he took care of the camp, cleaning what needed to be clean, packing what needed packing, and tending to their horses. By the end, the camp was mostly packed away to the point that the left over stew had been bottled and kindly left beside Skuld's tent. All the while, Keiran did so while humming once more. By the end, the fool would fall asleep with the biggest of grins upon his bedroll, staying as instructed by the Templar, warm beside their fire.

All that would be left come morning was to set off.

• Yay
She fell asleep a one later, listening to the man work around the camp before slipping into sleep without trying to.

She rose the next morning, her horse poking his head into her tent and pulling at the braid she had put into her hair the night before. She swatted at the beast before sitting up with a stretch. "Away with you. I'm up." She hissed as she tried to look around her. It was still before sunrise, and with no light, she simply felt her way around the inside of the tent.

She dressed as quickly as she could, the sun beginning to rise as the soft ring of her armor being donned came from her tent. The horse had wandered out when she had stood, content that his job was done.

• Yay
"She awakens..." He taunted from outside her tent after the dismissal of her horse pried a chuckle from him.

Despite going to bed after her, Keiran found himself to be the first one up. More then likely because she had done more traveling then he and thus needed some more sleep. That and the fact he had awoken to the tinge of smoke in the air. A fire had burned in the night, a great one. The sun had yet to rise when he had awaken and yet in the distance was a small horizon. Though to far to tell who's estate had been set ablaze, Keiran knew full well that this night had been stained with blood. Unbeknownst to him, the blood spilled that night was of a minor house, no different then his own clan, that had ties to House Weiroon.

They were to far to offer assistance so all Keiran could do was watch. Besides, the House his clan swore loyalty too did not live in that direction. A very sad and cold way of thinking, but ultimately, it was a bitter truth. He had his own wars to fight, best not champion some other's cause. At least that was his feeling regarding this matter.

When Skuld chose to join him, she would be greeted with a more warrior ready man. A black and yellow surcoat with the mark of MacArthur was worn proudly, bits of chain-mail ever present along his neck and arms. At his side was his sword, joined this time by a small ax tucked into his belt. Now he look the part of a proper fighter and not some lonely singing mountain man she came across.

"Someone's blade tasted blood tonight... I'm sure we will hear news of this once we reached the city... I left you an apple to break your fast m'lady." He informed her once she made her exit from the tent.

• Yay
She had narrowed her eyes toward the direction of the voice that teased her so early. Choosing to remain quiet instead of biting back as her company has been pleasant, and her tendency to bite as hard as she barked drove folks off.

The helmet was the last piece as she opened the flap and gave a small whistle of approval. "Now you look much more the part of heir to your clan." She decided to tease him just a little as he informed her of the nights events.

She frowned a little as she looked at the man, his calmness about the situation suggesting that either this was nothing new to him, or this was a common thing altogether.

The visor was clipped open, though it still blacked a little while giving him a small nod as she fetched the apple. "Is that a common thing? Death in these hills I mean?" she asked bluntly before taking a crisp bite.

• Yay
The whistle and compliment brought a grin to his face but that faded as Skuld took notice on the attack that had happened. Unfortunately, bloodshed in these parts was far to common.

"Aye.. That it is... Nomads tend to wander about... Raiding along the way... Though... This fire is curious... Nomads tend to attack caravans... Supply wagons... Small villages... That fire burns in the direction of the noble estates.... I am not sure if the attacks are brave or stupid to do such a thing..." He was lost in thought and gone was the fool from last night. Instead, a man capable of thought stood there, pondering what could have caused such events to transpire.

"We should ride... Better to be on our way before someone think it wise to test us..." He turned his back upon the the scenic view beyond to look to the camp so he could pick up what little was left.

He went about the motions of snuffing out their camp fire when he was suddenly reminded of one particular item that hung from his belt. Taking hold of the small pendant, he'd look down to the carving and ran his thumb over it. Carved from ebony wood in the style of a stag's head, the single eye shined when it caught the light, thanks to a yellow gem. The pendant itself could be worn around ones neck thanks to a strip of leather cord. Taking hold of it, he pulled the pendant free from his belt and moved to Skuld where he would offer it.

"One last gift before we are on our way... I imagine the life you lead to be perilous and with out much opportunity for safe moments of respite... If you ever travel these hills and come across Edenham, a small village, or even our family home in Vel Anir show them this... You will be welcomed as a friend, and treated to a warm bed, food, and ale... Or at least stew and a wine and a campfire." A warm smile was followed by a nod and once she had claimed this trinket, he would turn to prepare for the ride to the city.

• Yay
Her brow furrowed at the mention of the fire being toward the noble estates. It had to be a decently sized group of nomads, or a few well trained ones to take out a nobles estate she imagined.

When he suggested they ride, she gave a nod and smirked at the mention of someone testing them. She didn't offer a comment to follow the smirk, but began to pack up her belongings when he caught her attention.

She listened, examining the pendant in is hand before he extended it to her. Her surprise was evident as it took her a moment to process just what he was giving her. A faint smile appeared as she looked at him a little better in the light.

"Thank you, if I get the chance I will do so gladly." Skuld thanked him in earnest. She took the item carefully, giving it one appreciative look as she unclipped the helmet and placed the pendant around her neck as best she could. She stuffed it beneath her gambeson before putting the helm back on.

"Let's finish up and get underway. I might be able to get us breakfast if we are quick enough." Skuld began packing up her camp a little quicker, the pendant around her neck cool against the warm clothes.

• Yay
Keiran found himself smiling and openly at that. He hadn't expected her to actual wear it in then and there but it seemed it brought him joy that she had. Nodding to her comment of breakfast, he moved away to survey the camp one last time before looking back to the Templar.

"Need you my m'lady?" He offered. If none was needed, he would mount Queen, his horse and they would be able to set upon their way.

• Yay
"Just have to tie it all on if you will hold it while I do so." Skuld asked as she began pulling gear over to her own stead. With his assistance, the process took almost half as much her usual time and they would be quickly underway.

With her armor secured and the camp packed away, all that was left was to ride off to the city. Their day would be well spent as they rode together, moments of silence broke with light and often humor filled conversation. As they approach Vel Anir and it came time to part ways, Keiran honestly felt he had made s new friend. He couldn't help but wonder when their paths would cross as he headed in the direction of his family's small estate. The up coming days were sure to be interesting.

• Yay