Completed A Secret Revealed

What sweetness there remained in her mouth from the cookies turned bitter, what savoriness of the tea became sour. All at once her mild hunger and thirst departed. Just hearing that made Kristen's stomach turn, and for her heart to fold in on itself in sorrow.

"Blessed Aionus, Holy Sentinel," Kristen said in a stunned and low voice, her gaze downcast. The awfulness of hearing such a sorrowful story came with its own brand of slow-burning fear as well. For all the magic of the known world, still it was that the life of a woman could be lost by trying to do the most noble of all womanly feats: bringing new life into the world. It was cruel that such horrible twists of fate could even be so. Cruel for the mother and cruel for the child, taken so early.

And thus the fear. Kristen knew that she desired children of her own one day, and it set her mind into disquiet to know that the same could happen to her, however small the chance.

Again she struggled for words.

"I...I know not if such a grief can ever be alleviated, for the wound whence it comes is as deep as a chasm." She looked back up, struggling harder still to find some light in this gray pall. "But surely he must...I don't know...mustn't there be a way? He cannot enclose himself in the bitter confines of his grief all the days of his life, can he? Healing must come...right?"

Amelia Pirian Anireth

Amelia hated that she had told Kristen the story. It was terrible and there was no happiness in it. She just did not want Kristen to hate her brother-in-law for something that he struggled with through no fault of his own.

He was trying though. They had made some progress and some was better than none. Honestly, it was Arryn who had continued to be her friend and sounding board. He was the reason she was still here. He believed in both her and Lynus. More than either of them believed in themselves.

She shrugged sadly at Kristen's question. Amelia had never lost anyone so she did not know how grief worked.

"I believe he is making some progress since I have come into his life. It is slow but he is drinking less...I think..." Amelia sighed. "I think there is hope for us in the future. I hope there is a future for us," she gave her sister a half smile.

"I am so sorry that I brought down the mood, Kristen," she added and reached out for her sisters hand.

Kristen Pirian

• Yay
Reactions: Kristen Pirian
Kristen accepted her sister's hand, smiling back. What else could one do when the mood thickened into a gloom? One could stay in it, or one could move through it. As their mother was so fond of saying (and Kristen herself, especially now that she was in the Academy): "Sunshine is never more than a day away."

"So it is that not all news is good, yet it must be told," Kristen said. "Now at least I shall be able to understand, for...certainly...I will someday soon meet the Prince..."

A reserved hopefulness in her eyes, some of the very same when Kristen used to ask Amelia if she could play.

"Right?"

Amelia Pirian Anireth

"Of course," Amelia laughed out at the look that accompanied the question.

Amelia knew that look well. It was Kristen's go to look when she wanted to get her way and she knew that Amelia was likely to deny her. The look always worked.

Damned little sisters and their cuteness.

"Is there anyone you like, Kristen? I must admit that I suspect the Academy does not leave time for love but you are still teenagers so I must ask."

Kristen Pirian

• Yay
Kristen clapped her hands together and held the bundle up near her cheek. "Wonderful! Truly I do wish the best for Prince Lynus, and would love nothing more than to see him returned to high spirits."

And, of course, the majesty of attending a Royal wedding. Oh, but such went without saying, yes? Not quite once in a lifetime opportunities, but most certainly the next category of rare beneath that. Kristen wanted it to be a joyous occasion for both Lynus and Amelia. Perhaps gloom shrouded their relationship at present, but Kristen trusted that time did indeed heal all wounds, and thus would the day come when the Prince was at last ready to move on and truly begin his new life with her sister.

Amelia asked the question, mayhap the only question, which could turn her face as red as the trim of her dress.

"O-Oh! Well, you are of course correct in that: the Academy is rather strict about matters of this sort. So..." Her hands had descended back down to her lap, and there now she twiddled her fingers anxiously. "...it would be prudent to keep such affairs discreet...but..."

A smile, all at once guilty and shy and fantastically excited, crossed her expression as she met Amelia's gaze once more. "Yes. There is someone that I like. You remember the Tal'deneshaars, across the Jades from Vel Numera, yes? Well..."

Kristen shuffled slightly in her seat, struggling to keep her excitement contained and to maintain a more ladylike reservation. Her smile only grew.

"...I have taken quite the fancy for Drastus Tal'deneshaar, and he as well for me."

Amelia Pirian Anireth

That face of innocence, happiness, and guilt shown from her sister. That face that Amelia knew from the times she had caught young Kristen doing something she knew she was not supposed to but she only cared because she got caught. She had no regrets though. She was guilty, she was caught, but she was going to enjoy that cookie that she had snuck.

"Drastus is the youngest one? Yes, I have never met him but I know his name."

She smiled at her sisters happiness and felt that twinge of jealousy surge unexpectedly through her. It was not that her sister was with the youngest Tal'deneshaar...it was that her sister had love at a young age while she had none.

It was quite depressing.

"If you are happy then I am happy but if he hurts you then I will have to send the Royal Guard after him..."

It was a joke...sort of.

Kristen Pirian

• Haha
"Goodness, no!" Kristen said, taking her sister's remark in genial stride. "I can scarcely imagine Drastus ever doing something to warrant the tender mercies of the Royal Guard. Though, if you would like...there's a few names I could suggest."

Kristen laughed lightly, waving a hand to dismiss the suggestion as mere jest. And then she returned to the previous subject.

"But no, among all of my fellow Initiates 'twas Drastus who won my heart. And mind you, Ammy, there are more than a few handsome fellows in my class, yet handsomeness alone is but a poor veneer if the soul within is lacking. I am, of course, quite pleased to say that Drastus is a lovely sight to behold and wants not for character. For what courage he has! What confidence! He's exciting, charming, witty and funny, and even at some of my lowest points he found a way to bring a smile to my countenance."

Amelia Pirian Anireth

Amelia listened to her sister speak with a smile. She was happy for Kristen if Kristen was happy. That was what was important in life and losing her sister over something silly like a crush she did not know was not worth it.

"Maybe I will be able to meet him someday. I will make sure to add a plus one to the invitation for you, my dear sister," she said as she brought the tea cup to her lips.

The two sisters spent several hours talking about everything under the sun and the tea had long gone cold. Amelia was also sure it was time for her sister to head back to the Academy. She did not want to push the royal persuasion she held now by keeping Kristen too long.

"Kristen, I love you and I am happy that you are happy and thriving. I have been worried sick for so long," she reached out and took her sisters hands. "You are and will always be my top priority."

Kristen Pirian

Last edited:
  • Cthuulove
Time, as if there were a decree from Aionus himself, always flowed with the speed of a rushing river whenever Kristen was having fun. Before long the box of snickerdoodle cookies was empty, what tea remained in the pot was cold, and a steward was waiting patiently in the salon doorway.

Kristen squeezed Amelia's hands. Within them rested a myriad of wonderful memories. These were the hands that groomed her hair. These were the hands that helped her up whenever she had taken a tumble. These were the hands that brought joy in their play and these were the hands which banished any squall of silly childhood frights (like monsters hiding the darkness beneath one's bed).

But she couldn't hold onto them forever. Kristen knew that she only had limited time today, and that even this small treasure of time had been hard fought for. She didn't want to be derelict of her obligations to the Academy.

Kristen retained her cheer, but the approaching somberness of parting tightened her smile. "I love you too, Amelia. 'Tis a shame, you must know, for I feel as though I have only just arrived here!"

She laughed a little, trying to dispel that hint of gloominess. Somewhat successful was she in this.

"Pass on my love to Mother and Father, if you would. And! And! If perhaps Prince Lynus would have the ear to hear it, mayhap you could give word that I look forward to meeting him? Quite excited am I, in truth!"

Amelia Pirian Anireth

"I will tell him that, Kristen," Amelia said as she stood and pulled her sister up with her.

She chuckled at the reminder that her little sister was taller than her. It was easy to forget since she would always see Kristen as a child even as she turned into a woman.

Amelia pulled Kristen into a hug and held her there for quite some time before she stood on her tip toes to place a kiss on her forehead.

"I will throw my royal powers around to see you whenever I can, my dear dear little big sister."

It was shortly after that that the two of them parted ways and Amelia found herself in her chambers crying.

Grief of losing her sister, joy of her sister actually being happy, the solidification that she really was committed to staying with her husband now...so many emotions flowed from her as she curled up on her bed.

Kristen Pirian

• Cthuulove