Open Chronicles A night to remember (open)

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Well, magic was a funny thing. Even if the wielder knew nothing about it.

Rainie took a bite of her apple and suddenly got lurching feeling in her gut. Not from the fruit, no. She just suddenly got the feeling she really shouldn't leave through the back door. Warily, she reached over and engaged the deadbolt with a surreptitious click. Well, now what?

She hadn't heard anything from Flint. Perhaps she was imagining things... But she knew better than to ignore her instincts. Shrugging, she left the first floor and padded silently up the stairs. Her second target would be in the bedroom, if her suspicions were correct. She didn't dare light another candle, and instead searched by the dim moonlight streaming in through the windows. It took a little bit once again, but then she found it in the jewelry box.

Wrinkling her nose in disgust, she actually pulled on a glove to touch the artifact: a human tooth, ancient and carved in the shape of a human skull. It was set into a silver ring, and if Rainie had any sense for such things, was pulsating with dark magic. She tucked it into a little pouch and stashed it away.

A strange uneasiness in her stomach, she rushed soundlessly to the door of the balcony. She stepped outside and closed the door behind her, then stood in the shadows a moment to listen. She could hear a small bit of movement, and for some reason her heart beat faster in her chest. She took a quick glance over the banister, finding Flint standing below, still dutifully keeping watch as something sparkled in his hands.

Rainie exhaled in relief. The barber was fine. She swiped a pretty blue flower from the balcony railing and tucked it into the top of her camise, between her breasts. Looking around, and finding no one, she pulled herself on top of the roof and leapt to the neighboring one silently. Though she saw no one, she couldn't shake the feeling they were being watched, or followed, or...

-

Rainie exited an alley a short way down the street from where she'd left Flint. Her skirt fluttered around her ankles and her long hair tangled in the slight breeze. Bathed in moonlight, she held a bottle aloft and called to her friend, "Got them! Thanks for waiting!" She rushed over to join him, taking a bite of her apple with a noisy crunch. "To the docks, then?" she asked from behind her hand, speaking around a mouthful of apple.

Flint Lectrix

Lectrix stood idly by the wall, covered by darkness. He watched her go up to the second floor, and then jump onto the neighboring roof, coincidentally the one he had once resided on. Judging by the way she moved, he could tell she was experienced. Her movements were perfect, a clearly well trained thief. He couldn't help but smile at the competition he had brewing with this one.

He eavesdropped on the exchange between the girl and her watcher. The docks, huh? Sounds fun. I'll meet them there soon enough. For now, he turned to face the house. He memorized the route which the woman took, and the house was ripe for the picking.

Let's see what you stole, love.

He removed a pair of lockpicks from his bracer, and proceeded to unlock the door the exact way the woman did.

• Yay
Reactions: Rainie
Flint closed his hand, palming the coin as he fell in beside the thief. "To the docks. Uhm, did you find what you were looking for?"
Slowly sobering, Flint was beginning to feel a little uneasy about what Rainie had just done. He reckoned he needed another drink. Soon.

• Yay
Rainie swallowed her bite with a grin. "Yes, I surely did," she told Flint serenely. Her eyes flicked up to the rooftops, where she saw a shadow moving in the moonlight. "Let's get out of here, darling."

Arm in arm, she led Flint down the cobbled streets. The marina was quiet save for the sound of the waves; even the gulls had quieted for the night. She was busy struggling with a cork from the bottle she intended to hand to Flint. Grunting, she told the barber, "You're the tops, you are. Mind if I look you up next time I'm in town?"

Flint Lectrix

Flint howled a laugh as they took their place by the water. "I'm not so great, all I did was stand still and play around with a coin. You're the real talent. How did you get up the damn wall?" he marvelled, looking out across the silvery waters. For all its shortcomings, Elbion was a thing of beauty. He was happy to call it home.

Taking the bottle from Rainie, the barber managed to get it open, taking a long swig, letting the liquid warm his chest. "And of course you can look me up. Be insulted if you didn't". He held the bottle out to the spy in offering

• Yay
As Lectrix exited the house into the cool night, he took a seat on the roof and pondered on what he had seen in the house.

The basement radiated magic, a green glow illuminating from a skull in the middle of the room. Lectrix, fortunately for him, could see well in the dark, so there was no need for a candle to see his dreary surroundings. Herbs, shelves littered with books, and all the like laced the room.

A quick scan of the room revealed nothing interesting in particular, besides all the devilish aesthetics that room contained and two bottles missing from a full shelf. He assumed she took it, making him think of her more dangerously. He turned to leave up the ladder, when a small opening in the middle of a bookshelf caught his eye.

So maybe she stole a book too? Interesting.

He then moved to where she escaped from. He headed up the stairs that led into a bedroom. He opened the door into the room and took scanned the area as he did in the basement.

He found nothing of interest, besides a tiny jewelry box, which was opened. He walked over quietly and looked inside. Nothing stood out, again, which perplexed Lectrix. Why didn't she take some of this, hell, all of it. Or maybe she had?

Finally, he jumped out the window onto the roof where he sat on now.

Definitely a job. There's no way she exited that house without taking more if it was a personal job.

He thought, a look of confusion on his face.

Why am I even following this trail? What gain do I have here? He thought as he closed his eyes. Curiosity had overtaken him, making him follow a trail that would probably lead him to a near death scenario.

Now establishing his motives, Lectrix knew where the two had moved to next. The docks

He fired his grapple at the next house over, and swung to the roof after it toward the docks.

• Yay
"Climbed it," she answered humbly. She took the bottle back gratefully, and took a long pull. Ooh, wine. She nodded thankfully at the permission to call on him again. "I've a boat to catch in the morning. Got to visit a friend of mine in Fal'Addas." She toed off her precious shoes and set them down next to her belongings, and sat at the edge of the dock with her feet dangling above the water.

She looked out over the sea, where anchored ships too large to dock cut through the horizon like mountains breaching through the water. She sighed, content.

"Have you ever been? To Fal'Addas, I mean?" She wondered as she held the bottle back out to Flint.

Lectrix

"I haven't", he admitted, taking a more measured sip from the bottle this time. A couple of guards walked by behind the pair, but kept their noses to themselves. "I hear its nice, and what a fine way to travel". Flint loved being at sea... when supplies were ample. Too often he'd heard of boats go missing at sea, only to wash up filled with bodies. Disease and starvation could be heavy hitters, if a crew didn't know what they were doing.
"Maybe I'll visit there, sometime", he said, looking longingly out to sea. "You're welcome to stop into the shop when you end up returning here, anyways".

• Yay
He finally got to the waterfront district, where he took up a perch on a roof near where the two were talking.

He pulled out his eye glass and began to target the bag she wore. There it is. Now, what did you steal?

He continued to observe and study the pair while a small sail boat sailed past dock.

Curiosity killed the cat, Lectrix. Drop this, this'll only lead to problems. But, it is magic, something he knew could do damage in the hands of the wrong people. He just... had to make sure. He definitely wouldn't hear the end of this from his sisters for being home so late.

• Yay
"Isn't that the man from the tavern?"
Watching the guards leave, Flint noticed the strange man leap atop a rooftop, just over the pair on the waterfront. Coming to a stance, he left Rainie with the wine, scratching the top of his head as he looked at their viewer.
"You want a haircut or somethin'?".

• Yay
Lectrix wasn't the type to get caught, so the man spotting him caught him by surprise. Well, might as well make his move now.

He put his eyeglass away and leaped off the building, turning his body to fire his grapple on the rooftop. The grapple hit, pulling him up and slowly falling to the ground.

He ignored the man, making eye contact with the thief instead.

What's in the bag?

He said, pointing at the pouch she carried at her side.

• Yay
Rainie’s head snapped up when Flint called attention to a shadow on the rooftop. Smiling, she drawled, “Ah, I was wondering when he’d join us. Very cloak and dagger, him.” And then she laughed when Flint pointedly offered him a haircut.

In the next instant, her shadowy stalker grappled down to ground level. Rainie arched an eyebrow and took another drink of wine. Her hand rested gently on her thigh, tracing the dagger sheath beneath it, dragging the hem up as she did.

“What’s in the bag?”

Rainie snorted a laugh. “Lady-things.” She declared firmly. Her expression darkened. “And if you’re with that thrice damned Allirian Theives Guild, you can turn right ‘round and go on your way. They deserve ten times what they got, after what they did to me.”

Her eyes scanned the darkness, scenarios forming in her mind. She wasn’t in the best spot; what at the end of an empty dock. She could shout for those guards, but someone might try to out her as a thief, which she couldn’t have. Her most hasty escape route would be jumping in the murky water, which wasn’t ideal. She’d prefer to jump to a docked vessel, but there were none within leaping distance. And then there was the matter of poor Flint, who may not be able to swim. No, if there was to be a confrontation, she wouldn’t be able to run this time. Not. Ideal. At all…

She stood up on the dock, barefoot and not intimidating at all. She couldn’t pull off intimidating if she tried. Quickly, she switched tact. “Listen,” she tried beseechingly. “I’m not hurting anybody, I’m just trying to get by. It’s nothing personal, you see.” She frowned hard at the stalker, then, against her better judgement, took a deliberate step forward and offered her hand in greeting. “I’m Rainie.”

As he would usually be rude at this moment, rejecting the hand in greeting and continue his push to the truth, for some reason, the woman tilted him. He took her hand and shook it. Name's, Tilder. Nice to meet you.

A fake name, obviously, but she clearly didn't recognize him. She hadn't heard of him and his endeavors. Maybe this was a way to earn her trust. She clearly didn't like the guild, so he could work off that.

And don't worry, I'd rather drop dead than join those brain dead guild members. Got talent, but they're all arseholes, ain't they? So you can take your hand off that dagger, adn keep that sheathe somewhere a little less obvious. Backup ain't really a back up you an see it.

He offered the woman a smile, and let go of her hand. He removed his hood to reveal his face again. He really didn't want to get into a fight with her. He felt they were evenly matched, and he'd rather not have to shoot her with paralyzing poison.

Listen, that house you broke into, infested with magic. In the wrong hands, it could hurt a lot of people. I just want to know what you stole.

• Yay
Flint raised an eyebrow as the man pulled down his hood. "Alright, you definitely need a haircut". He stood a little closer to the pair. Partially to remind Tilder that he was outnumbered, but mainly because he was feeling excluded. "What she stole is none of your business. Hell, I've been with her all night and I don't even know. So why don't you back off?". He didn't like this guy, on first impression. From ignoring him to discrediting a whole guild, this guy sounded like a pompous know-it-all. "Have you been stalking us since the tavern?". He wasn't sure what game Rainie was playing greeting this man, but the barber wanted no part in it.

• Yay
He chuckled, turning his head toward the man addressing him. He saw him trying to toughen up and get involved, but the years of training Lectrix had under his belt told him that the man posed no threat.

Oh, shit, you're still here. My apologies. However, I don't recall asking you about anything. I remember asking her about her loot, lookout boy.

He turned his head toward the thief one again.

I assume you're not the type to let someone speak for you?

• Yay
“I’ll keep my sharp things where I like,” she mumbled. This guy would benefit from minding his own business. Besides, with how she looked, no one expected her to keep a blade anywhere, really.

Flint interjected, quite correctly, accusing the stalker of following them since the they’d left the tavern. The stalker, apparently named Tilder, said something quite rude in return, then turned gaze back on her.

“Sure,” she said quite loudly. “I’ll speak for myself!” She poked Tilder in the chest. “Don’t be an arse to my friend!” She wasn’t drunk enough to deal with this. After slipping her enchanted shoes back on, she found her discarded wine bottle.

She took another long drink of the sweet wine. “And they way I see it, is this…” She stepped up into Tilder’s personal space, looking him straight in his grey eyes. “What’s it matter who’s hands this magic crap is in? It’s in their hands, or in the hands of my patron, what difference does it make?”

She tilted her head and peered up at him consideringly, exposing the line of her pale throat. “And you don’t exactly look like the type who does the right thing for the greater good, Tilder.” Like her.

She leaned back, giving him his space back. “Now you big, strong men are just going to have to trust little old me on this: I’ve got this handled. Alright?” She finished sweetly with a smile. If she had a gold piece for every time some random male acted like he knew better than her and she ought to just let them handle it… Well, she wouldn’t need to steal anymore, would she?

She turned and bent to retrieve the second wine bottle. “Now, something tells me you could use a little time to… unwind.” His hair color looked stupid, she thought unkindly. “See, what we were doing,” before he interrupted, “was reveling in good company. Enjoying time with friends.” Had he heard of them? “Perhaps you should try it some time.” Smiling, she pressed the wine bottle into Tilder’s hands.

“After all, in my experience, friends are better company than foes.”

I don't desire to be your foe. I just want you to see the repercussions of your actions...

Her words cut deep. He had done some questionable stuff in his past, but he always justified it as caring for his sisters and killing those who had the power and gall to hurt others. Those who were quite literally the scum of the earth. He earned his name, he was the Ghost of Reckoning, the man who killed those who were wronged innocents. But deep down, her words were true, in a way. He dismissed the thought immediately.

Clearly, you don't understand the gravity of the items that you hold. The person whose house you broke into could'v been protecting that magic. You don't know what...

He took a step forward as he spoke, but he stopped cold. He looked down at the wine bottle in his hands. Finally, he sighed, and shrugged.

You know what. Fuck it. I'll stick around, and if things go south, I'll be the first to say I told you so. Also, this employer of yours, I might wanna keep tabs on. Don't worry I won't interfere.

As he finished his sentence, he stuck a bolt into the wine cork and uncorked the bottle. He took the cork off the bolt and threw the bolt to the side. He looked at the bottle one last time before he took a big swig. He had never drank before, but he was tough enough to withstand the alcohol. He finished his swig with a sigh and a burp, then re-corked the bottle. He threw the bottle back at the woman.

Friends it is. And the name's actually Lectrix. Call me Lex.

Rainie gave a mock cheer at Lectrix resigned ‘Fuck it.’

“That’s the spirit!” She raised her own bottle in cheers and took a drink with him. One handed, she deftly caught the bottle thrown at her. Shrugging, she wiped off the mouths of both bottles, and handed the one she’d been drinking from to Flint. Maybe she’d go back in her marked house and swipe another bottle. She quite liked this wine. Rich chaps always kept the good stuff.

The assassin professed his true name and Rainie threw her head back and laughed. “Too late, Tilly! You’ve a new name now. Sorry to break it to you.” She turned around and found Flint’s eyes. She gave him a baffled look a half shrug as if to say, what the hell just happened?

“Now, if Tilly’s done telling me I’ve no idea what I’m doing because I’m clearly deficient, let’s hear more stories! Flint, do you have any funny ones? I’d quite like a funny one.”

Tilly, huh? Eh whatever.

He responded to the new nickname Rainie had just given to him. He took a seat on the edge of the dock, his legs hanging over the water. He had to keep his guard up for when this went south, but at the same time, Rainie was right, she could handle herself.

He looked up to the barber, apparently named Flint, as Rainie asked him for a story. He knew he had confused the two of them, hell, he was confusing himself. But you know what, fuck it. Why not throw logic out of the window. His life relied on logic, maybe a little too much. Maybe some time confusing the living hell out of himself and his new found compatriots.

Yeah, come on lookout boy. Whatcha got?

He felt awkward asserting himself into their conversation so suddenly, but since all logic was out the window, might as well.

Flint was a little disappointed to hear Rainie ask him to trust her. He'd never even bothered to ask what she was stealing, and he'd put his neck on the line keeping watch for the girl. If that hadn't been trusting, Flint didn't know what was.
Tilder introduced himself as Lectrix, though Flint couldn't decide which name he found more odd. He wasn't sure if he bought Lectrix' story. If the man was really worried about safekeeping magic objects, he'd have taken them from Rainie by now. No, he must have had something to gain. Flint would keep an eye on Lectrix, but at least hoped he could learn something from the stalker. He did, at the very least, look like an interesting fellow.
"Another story? Ah, well..." Flint considered this for a moment, Lectrix' 'fuck it' resonating with him."Truth be told, I lied in the tavern, at the end of my story. I know what became of the dear thief. You see, once I had shaved half his head, some of the Lord's men came knocking. I tried to keep them at bay while the thief escaped through a window, but eventually they barged in". Flint took the bottle of wine, but decided to set it down. He'd had enough for one night. "The guards knew I'd helped the thief, and they started thrashing my shop. One of them took one of my straight blades, holding it to my throat", Flint smiled. He was quite proud of the moment. "I have... certain skills. Have had them since I was a boy. I was able to disarm the man before he could slit my throat. Broke the poor bastard's nose before his friend ran at me. I was able to slam the other man's head against a wall and throw the pair out my window"

Flint still wondered if one day the lord's men would return, to punish him. He highly doubted it.
"Anyway, I start cleaning up my shop when the thief shows up, with quite an enraged looking woman. You see, the thief had family in Elbion, and his mother was horrified by the half shaven head I'd inflicted upon her son. She demanded I gave him a full head of hair again. I'll tell you, it took a while for us to convince her it doesn't work that way", he chuckled.

Lectrix actually broke into smile at the story, even though he had little recollection of the rest of the story. But something stood out to him, making Lectrix smile a little more. He grabbed the wine bottle Flint had refused to take a sip from and took a quick drink.

Certain skills, huh? Well, let's see them.

Lectrix put the bottle down by his side, then slowly stood up and unsheathed his short sword. He then grabbed the finely sharpened blade, and pointed the handle towards Flint. Lex chuckled a bit, a smile well kept on his face. He knew the man didn't like him, and he wanted to see how he matched up against him. Just in case. Plus, it would give an opportunity to warm himself up, as he hadn't been in a fight in a long while.

Spar me. Stop before contact rules. If you can beat me and my Heart of Serim......

As he said this, his free hand shot up to the handle of the sword sheathed on his back. The sheathe seemed to react to his grip, causing it to unbuckle slightly, giving room to unveil his weapon. He slowly pulled the sword out, revealing first the base of the sword, and then the curve that that lead from the base to the curved blade, with the end of the blade blunted and shaped like a hook. Lectrix brought the sword to his side, the moonlight shining off the blade.
proxy.php

...Then you can give me a haircut. Square?

Flint scoffed. Lectrix wanted to spar, and the barber was really starting to get the impression that the stalker was looking to impress them, or specifically Rainie. The other man handed him a sword, the shorter of his set. Already at a disadvantage, huh? He thought to himself, and looked Lectrix straight in the eye. He doubted he could win this fight, but he sure ass hell could make this creep look like a fool.
Flint smacked took the short sword, slowly. Then, the barber released his grip, allowing the blade to drop to the floor. He raised his fists, in the style of a well-versed boxer. Setting one foot in front of the other, he flexed his fingers, feeling magic pour down his arms. Even after a few drinks his magic added accuracy to his movement. Agility, purpose.
"I'm not going to fight you with a toothpick, you hedge-born knave."
Flint stood in a defensive position, anticipating the first attack and ready to react accordingly. Disarming the stalker was his first goal. If he somehow managed that, well. It was anyone's game then

And once again, the mood went from hysterical to tense. Rainie scowled as swords were pulled out and started getting thrown around. Why couldn't they just tell stories? Why'd they have to whip out pointy things and fling them around? She was sure there was a naughty joke in there, but she was too frustrated to articulate it.

"Men," she hissed scathingly.

Grumbling angry curses under her breath, she gathered up her stuff (and the wine) and shuffled down the dock towards solid ground. No way she or any of her stuff was getting wet if one of these two idiots went in. Plus, she needed to protect the wine. She sat back down on the wall, where she was very likely to stay dry. Glaring and muttering under her breath, she pulled out her lute and decided to serenade these two like they deserved. After a hearty gulp of wine, she recounted the first verse of Jackass and kept the jaunty beat with her lute.

"One day he strode to town,
From the university.
And started hee-an-hawin'
Ev'ry lady he did see.
One, when she tried to ride him,
Said he wasn't very kind!
And a fizzle of a pizzle
Wasn't what she had in mind!

"He's Jackass! Jackass!
Runnin' through th' halls,
Distractin' all the students
'cause he's
licking someone's books
And ink and papers.
Capers all around th' class,
'Cause you can't be an arcanist
when you're such a stupid ass!"

If someone walked by and saw this scene, Rainie may be forced to ascend. "Go, Flint! Get him!" she jeered from the sidelines, then picked the song right back up.

Flint Lectrix

Last edited:
Hedge-born? Nah mate, I don't think think so. Maybe bastard. That one's true. And don't disrespect my blade. That tooth pick has taken more lives than you can imagine. Deny it, that's fine by me.

He didn't want to hurt the man, but he didn't want to get hurt either. He flipped his sword so the blade faced towards him, revealing the hook to Flint. He thinks I'm going in for a normal rush slash, so he's defending his torso, yet leaving his legs revealed. He smiled a bit, and with Rainie's cheer as a starting bell, he rushed in, jumping forward and putting his blade behind his back, feigning the set up for a slash to his torso. Once he landed back on his left foot, however, he let his muscle relax, letting gravity take it's course. The hook dropped from it's target to aiming for Flint's exposed leg, aiming to hook his leg, and using the momentum of his swing to put him off balance.

Flint did not flinch at Lectrix' sudden attack. The assassin brought his blade high, and Flint moved in, using the length of the blade to his advantage. He'd wait for the swing to take up momentum, before barreling for his opponent's wrist. Then, he could rely on his strength and the skill of his hands to wrench the weapon from the man's hand.
Unfortunately, he hadn't seen the feign coming. As he felt the blade hook around his leg, Flint swore internally. Then, gritting his teeth, the barber wrapped a lean arm over the assassin's neck in a headlock. If Lectrix brought him down, Flint would make sure his enemy followed. If he removed his blade, well, he'd have to deal with the right jab Flint was bringing in with his free hand. He aimed for the man's nose, hoping to send him backwards, breaking up the pair for another encounter. He was escalating the fight somewhat, but he reckoned a man who'd taken unimaginable amounts of lives had it coming.

Rainie Lectrix