Private Tales A Long Way From Home

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Kailyn

Special K
Character Biography
Link
Kailyn sat atop the camel's back. Gerra provided her with a handful of guards whenever she traveled a good distance away from the Empire. Two blue orcs who were too large to ride any beast worth taking in the desert. They walked along some pack mules. Their lumbering forms setting quite the pace. She was on one of her inspections of the outer trade runs. A rim around the desert, skirting the mountains to the north. Rumors had it, bandits had been taking advantage of the supplies.

She hoped to see if she could broker a deal. Or perhaps change the route. It was worth it for the people the goods were meant for. Some of the southern towns were in danger of not getting enough of the harvest. And she'd be damned if anyone starved on her watch due to insecure trade routes.

Hands tightened on the reigns as they rose on a higher dune. She saw tracks in the sand. It looked like they would be joining another party along the route. Perhaps other traders.

She hoped they weren't the bandits.

Cillian

• Cthulhoo rage
  • Sip
Reactions: Gerra and Cillian
"Yer a fuckin' liar, Jeriah. T'ain't no fuckin' way a Dragon is a Vizier!"

Cillian resisted the urge to roll his eyes and settled instead for pinching the bridge of his nose as if he were still trying to ease the hangover caused from one too many Dragons Breath shots from the night before. The Leprechaun had had his usual luck in stumbling across a fire when he had needed it out wandering the desert sands alone. The two lads - brothers, as Cilli had discovered - were traders in fine silk. Jeriah made the fabric and Jeremy tailored them into beautiful works of art. He had stupidly agreed to join them on the remaining leg of their journey to Lastrist and their famous bazaars. Merchants from all over would travel here often to make a pretty penny and as was the way, wealth attracted Bandits.

Cillian hadn't worried about Bandits in over a Millenia now and he didn't intend to start any time soon. He touched the lucky penny about his throat and then returned his grip to the bag slung over one shoulder with his own wears in.

"Who ye callin' a liar yea big Gobshite?"

"I am!"

"Oh are yea laddie?!"

The two lanky men grabbed a hold of one another and proceeded to go tumbling into the sand in a ball of limbs. This time Cillian couldn't resist the roll of his eyes as he came to a stop to let the two get through this latest scrap. Since they had set off from their campsite about four hours ago the two brothers had done this twice already. As they fought and cursed his eyes scanned the horizon and then stopped, lingering on shadows which were taking form as they crested a dune. Blue... orcs? He shielded his eyes against the sun and watched as they descended, apparently heading in the same direction as his own group.

"Looks like our band's about to get bigger," Jeriah - or was it Jeremy? - said. The two had separated when they had noticed the change in demeanour of their new friend.

"Aye... 'nd Empire ones a' tha' Lads," Cilli watched a moment longer then turned on his heel and began walking on. They would catch up in their own time.

• Cthulhoo rage
  • Bless
Reactions: Gerra and Kailyn
Amber eyes squinted. Three figures in the distance. Didn't look like bandits. The tension built up in her shoulders rippled out. She sighed.

“Orders?”

One of the orcs looked over to her. She still wasnt used to giving orders after taking them for so many years. If Gerra hadnt insisted that she travel with protection, she would’ve traveled alone. She missed it. Traveling without drawing attention.

She wondered how her friends Lani and Nym did it. Did they always have a retinue with them?

“Let’s see if we can join them. There is usually safety in numbers.”perhaps they could benefit from the orcs as well.

Teeth gnawed on the inside of her cheek as they approached the small group a few hours later. Throat cleared. The sun was beginning to set on the horizon.

She’d much rather be painting it.

“Hello travelers. Do you mind if we join you for the night? I’m Kailyn and this is Brute and Gary.” The orcs sniffed and eyed the three up for weapons.

• Cthulhoo rage
  • Sip
Reactions: Gerra and Cillian
The three walked in relative silence for the next few hours; the weight of what was approaching them began to make all of them tense. Cillian wore only a simple broad sword that he wore strapped across his back and looked as though it belonged in a museum. The two lads were even less well armed with a bow and some arrows between them, though he had caught sight of a few nasty blades dotted on their person. They were definitely brawlers rather than skilled fighters, not people built to deal with Empire soldiers should they think the band of travellers were a thread.

The shadows of the orcs and camel fell over them in the late afternoon followed by the hailing of a voice. Cilli turned with his hands casually clasped behind his neck. It was meant to make him look less of a threat but in truth it put his blade within easy reach should he have need to use it. He quirked a brow at the names of the orcs, sizing them up with a wary glance before returning his attention to the woman who apparently held the leash.

"Aye, 'tis a free country lass, if yiz don' mind walkin' at our pace. We ain't got the luck o' such long legs like ye friends 'ere," he cast the other ogres another wary look. "I'm Cillian, these two Lads are Jeriah and Jeremy, we're headin' up to Lastrist but yer welcome to keep with us till your path diverts from ours."

Last edited:
  • Cthulhoo rage
  • Wonder
Reactions: Gerra and Kailyn
"Funny," she gave a warm smile down to the man who had spoken for the others. Cillian. "We're headed that way too."

As luck would have it.

The sun was quickly becoming a smoldering fire in the sky. Her favorite time of the day with all the pink, orange, and golden hues just before the deepest violets and blackness of night. Until the stars began painting the sky in their own canvas of twinkling lights.

"Looks like we'll need to find a place to camp for the night." Brute shrugged and Gary sniffed the air as if smelling for danger. Kailyn stopped herself from rolling her eyes. With a shift in her legs, she unstraddled the camel and slipped down its side until her sandal-clad feet hit the sands of the dunes.

Amber eyes nearly matching the fire of the setting sun found their way to the one called Cillian.

"Do you travel this way often?"

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Cillian
"Oh don'tcha worry lassie, there's a spot just o'er there," Jeriah pointed to a small outcrop of rocks a half a mile away. Cillian's hands rose to rest on top of his head now, fingers combing through his hair to pull it off the back of his sweat slicked neck. "Just you stick with us girlie, we'll get ya there," Jeremy gave her a two fingered salute before the brothers began trekking forward. It was the most driven they had been all day and his lips faintly lifted in a bemused fashion before eyes of molten gold returned to Kailyn, briefly, to check if she was going to follow, before setting off himself.

If she were some Princess used to bowing and scraping she would be left wanting from this band.

"Depends how often often is, doesn'it?" He answered cryptically with a lazy shrug. Cilli might have preferred his own company but he wasn't a rude man. Rudeness was bad for business. He did however often forget how to talk to people which sometimes resulted in the same hurt feelings. He threw in a disarmingly charming smile as it passed through his mind his reply might have been one of those occasions.

"Myself, maybe twice or thrice a year - the markets are good o'er 'ere but I like tah travel. Elbion, Alliria, Belgrath - where'er the pot o' gold is."

• Sip
Reactions: Kailyn
She gave her camel an extra scratch before gently tugging the reigns for the beast to follow. He nudged at her shoulder, hinting of being treated well by this rider. She couldnt help the small, amused smile at the brothers. Brothers? She assumed they were.

Eyes lit with interest as Cillian spoke. She’d never heard that lilt in a voice before. Then again being a slave hadn’t afforded too many opportunities to get out. Until Gerra. And her freedom.

And there’s was something in this man’s eyes. Something ancient. Intriguing.

He followed the coin. Sounded like a true merchant. “I’ve never been to any of those places but would like to visit. Is it true what they say about Elbion? Bookcases five stories high in their libraries? And Belgrath. Is that the dwarven city beneath the mountains?” She caught herself, fingers tucking a ribbon of hair behind one ear. A shy look toward the rocks they approached.

• Popcorn
A barrage of questions had not been what he had expected as a response to his answer. He rubbed at the side of his neck as if he were dazed; this was probably the most sentences he just strung together for another living person for several days. It was at least a good run up to learning how to talk to customers again. He took his time in mulling it over and when he spoke it was with an air of laziness as if he didn't like to be rushed.

"I don' think I'm the righ' person tah be answerin' these questions lassie. Books?" he pulled a face. "T'aint my thing. Besides, they don' let the likesa me go strollin' intah their big fancy libraries. Belgrath, aye, the Dwarfish capital far o'er to the East - ways away from 'ere. Tis a beaut' to see and the dwarves know how tae drink - better than these lads anyways," the two brothers turned around when he raised his voice at the end of the sentence and Jeriah made a rude gesture.

"'ows abou' yeself lass, why the journey to Merchan' City?"

• Haha
"Not your thing?" The corner of her lips twisted. "Never had a reason to escape before?" A pinch of her brows and a jesting twinkle in her amber eyes. "Good to know you can hold your liquor though."

Kailyn certainly could NOT.

"And it's business. I work for the Emperor - trade and those trade routes specifically. There has been a bandit problem in this surrounding area." Eyes darted to the surrounding mountains and open dunes before flickering back to Cillian.

"Just trying to...fix it or find a new route." Walking over to a mesquite tree, she tied up the camel's reigns. The blue orcs set up a loose perimeter around the area that would be their shared campsite for the night.

"Lucky that we ran into you three and NOT the bandits I suppose." Upon close inspection, he might notice that flashes of color of dried paints speckled the skin of her fingers.

• Popcorn
Cillian's easy expression flickered for a moment when she asked whether he had never had a reason to escape, but it was just that. A flicker. If she hadn't been looking at him right when it happened she wouldn't have noticed it at all. Instead he gave her another crooked smile as she commented on his drinking abilities then proceeded to listen as she told him a little more about herself. The fact she was an Empire official made him a little uneasy; Cilli liked to stay out of the way of anyone important. People in power were never satisfied and Cillian was the key to a lot of it very fast.

With dire consequences.

What she spoke of was an admirable quest though not one he suspected she would succeed in doing.

"There's been Bandits up 'ere for as long as I can remember Lassie, folks try tae clear 'em but they just come back," and he had been walking these Silk Roads for a millennia if not more. As they finally came to a stop he shifted his pack from his back and to the floor. It was cold at night but Cilli never bothered with a tent, he preferred the stars until he could actually sleep. He unrolled his mat and then rolled his shoulder, noticing the paint flecks about her fingers.

"Aye, yea did'nae say yiz were an artist too, Lassie," he nodded to her hands.

• Popcorn
"Oh," eyes flickered down to her fingers and she flipped her hands over. For a moment the tattoos on her wrists showed. Marks of a person opposite of what Cillian thought she was.

A person of no consequence.

"Yes," hand came up to rub at the back of her neck awkwardly. "More of a hobby, really. I love to paint. It helps me...forget things I'd rather not remember." Shackles around her ankles. The voyage to Amol-Kalit in the deep, dank belly of a crowded ship. Rocking and unforgiving seas.

She took her own bedroll out and rested it out at a respectful distance from his own. One of the orcs began starting a fire. The brothers seemed to be trying to convince Brute to join them in some drinking. She wondered if they'd be successful.

Probably not.

The flicker of flames made a glint spark around the traveler's neck. Kailyn's eyes narrowed and she stepped into the man's personal bubble - forgetting things like space. Finger poked curiously up at his chest.

"What IS that?" There was a whisper of something she felt around others with magic. Like Gerra. Or Gaheris. Noelani too.

• Scared
Cillian felt far more at ease with other craftsmen than he did the normal traveller. Seeing she too had an eye for art, listening to the thread of joy that weaved through uglier words and memories, he knew she was a kindred spirit. It released a little of the tension from his shoulders and he carefully unbuckled the old blade from his back and lay it out across his bedroll.

"Well, whether yiz good or not got nothin' to do with it lassie, as long as it calms ye soul then - woah, woah, woah," Cilli held up his hands as she came practically toe to toe with him and poked a finger at the penny about his throat. Carefully he put his hands on her upper arms and lifted her like she weighed nowt more than a bag of sugar, and set her back down a step back.

"Dinnae your mother e'er teach ye it's rude tae touch wit'out buyin' a man a drink first?" he tugged at the neckline of his shirt and cleared his throat. "That ma'am is a lucky penny, t'were a gift from me old Ma back when I were a lil'un. She said t'would bring me luck and so far she ain't been wrong."

• Wonder
His touch sent tingles along her arms. A delicate clear of her throat as he stepped back. One of the orcs rose behind Cillian as if they needed to protect her. She gave a quick, subtle shake of her head.

She did not enjoy traveling with them sometimes.

"It's beautiful and I've never felt anything like it. I mean. SEEN. Seen anything like it."

She ducked her head and knelt by her bedroll, smoothing out the fabric that didn't really need to be smoothed out. "I never knew my mother. Or my father. But I think it's great that you have something to remember her by."

Head lifted, realizing how she sounded.

"And I'm not looking for pity, either. I just...," voice trailed off with a stubborn lift of her shoulders. "thank you for answering my question." Gaze shifted back to the brothers. "Looks like they're breaking out some ale. You gonna join them?"

She looked to the dark horizon. For the first time, something felt...off. A frown tugged at her lips.

• Sip
Cillian fixed her with a look that was hard to read. She had said felt. Was she blessed with sensing magic? It was a rare gift but a gift nevertheless, and a strong one at that if she had been able to sense if from something belonging to the Fae. It returned the slight tension to his shoulders; he did not particularly want to be discovered by the Empire of all factions in this world.

"Aye well, if ye ha'n't been beyond the Empire then ye wouldn't have, I'm a long way from home and that's the only place you'll find somethin' like this," he tapped the penny with his forefinger and then folded his arms across his chest, acting as though he hadn't felt the looming orc behind him. His sword was still in easy reach. There was a moment where he frowned at her words but he didn't go to offer her pity even before she confirmed she didn't want it; when Cilli had lost his brother pity had been the last thing he had wanted.

"Aye, the lads would'na let me not - are yiz a drinker lassie?" he glanced over his shoulder to where the brothers had gotten out their last few bottles. Tomorrow they would reach the City of Silk and they would be able to replenish their stocks.

• Scared
There was something unnerving about his looks. Like he was peeling her apart, layer by layer. It made her uncomfortable. She'd never really liked attention on her. Which is why, a part of her hated the prestigious position she'd been given in the Empire. Most days, she wanted to take her art supplies and disappear in the countryside to paint. Or travel.

Cheeks warmed at his next question.

"Not really." What would Lani say? Nym would be shaking her head now and wondering why Kailyn was being so shy around a fine piece of man. No, she'd definitely say ass.

"If I tried the stuff I imagine you'd need to carry me the rest of the way." A broader smile pulled at her lips in the twinkling starlight.

Jeremy...Jeremiah? Was loudly hollering at the both of them to join. Unfortunately for Kailyn, it seemed as though they weren't going to take no for an answer, even from her.

• Devil
Cillian had been about to reassure her she wouldn't have to drink when the lads began a calling and waving them over to the fire they had got started. Jeremy waved a bottle of the Dragon's Breath and even he looked a little worried. He ran a hand over his face slowly then rubbed at the back of his neck sheepishly, throwing Kailyn another crooked roguish smile.

"Now, tae trick to fakin' drinkin' Lassie is to throw a little o'ver your shoulder when ye go to take a sip," he mimed the gesture as they both turned and began walking over to the rest of their little group. One of the Orcs seemed to have finally been convinced to at least take the bottle to examine and maybe have a sip of. Judging by his boisterous laughter at one of the brothers terrible jokes, he sensed the Orc was either thick or had partaken in a little nightcap.

"If yiz didna want to drink, the boys will understand though," they would be extremely disappointed not to be getting the only woman in the camp a little tipsy, but he would give them both a thump if they pushed it any further. Cillian made himself comfortable on the sand and was instantly passed some of the horrific whisky they had drunk the night before which he took a sip of but wisely did not pass to Kailyn.

"Trust me lassie, if yer worried about ale you dinnae wanna touch this."

• Scared
Amusement sparked in her eyes as he taught her how to fake drink. "Thanks for the tips," she said dryly and took a seat next to the man. Legs crossed in the sand. She doubted she could pull it off though. With her luck, she'd spill it on her or it would be to obvious and hurt the brother's feelings.

And both orcs were partaking in a bit of drink now.

If Gerra found out, he'd probably have them executed.

She sighed.

Surrounded by boys.

Jeremy was practically begging now. What was the worst that could happen? She already knew. She'd end up streaking naked through the desert but this time would have no girlfriend to lean on.

"Finefinefine. FINE." Giving Cill a rueful look, she reached over and snatched that bottle of whiskey right out of his hands. "ONE sip," gaze leveled at the brothers and finished on Cill. "Then will you quit your collaring?"

"Maybe but only if we get a dance after," Jeremy looked rather hopeful about that.

Kailyn rolled her eyes.

Then, she took the bottle up to her lips and tipped it back. It was like fire burning down her throat. So much worse than the wine. Ambers bulged and she hunched over, shoving the bottle back into Cill's chest. She coughed and croaked.

"Horrible," she managed as the brothers gufawwed and slapped each other on the shoulders. One of them exchanged coin with the other.

Oh the hell.

• Haha
Cilli had been ready to step in on Kailyn's behalf at the gentle nudging turned into more of a nag. In his mind, if a lass said no it meant no. Especially when it came to drink. But much to his surprise Kailyn had ripped the bottle from his hands and taken a gulp before he could so much as utter a warning. As the boys laughed however Cillian couldn't help but grimace; they'd all been there with their first sip of the Dragon's Breath.

"I widdna sit laughin' like that boyo when you coul'na even handle a shot of the Fire Cracker Spirit last night," Cillian chuckled as his hand came up to the bottle that had been slammed into his chest. Both lads looked a little sheepish at Cilli's words and murmured apologies to Kailyn like naughty schoolboys, heads bowed. One of them sheepishly offered her a mug of ale instead.

Cilli leaned back until he rested upon his elbows, his legs stretched out towards the fire.

"'ave yer ever tried sellin' your paintings lass?"

• Bless
There was a fire spreading in her veins from that drink. She waved a hand to stave off the mug of ale. NOT a good idea right now. Her throat was still burning.

A hand waved in front of her neck as if she couldn't feel the cool air from the desert night at all.

Brute stood and offered her a tankard of water. She accepted and didn't mind the quieted snickerings from the brothers as she took a healthy sip. The lightness hit her much harder and faster than the wine ever did. Her head tipped back, fingers running through loose ribbons of hair.

A glance to Cilli.

Her tongue seemed to be much looser than it had been.

"No, I mostly give them away. Why do you ask? Are you in the business of selling new goods?" A bold waggle of brows in his direction with a crooked smile of her own. She floated herself on back to that sand but didn't even bother propping up on her elbows.

"Besides, sometimes when I paint or draw weird things happen."

The lightweight offered no other explanation.

• Thoughtful
Poor Lass.

Cillian threw the brothers another look but they were busy trying to teach one of the orcs a card game now and so he raised the bottle of whisky to his lips and took a swig. Her apparently already tipsy state earned her a taken aback look. Especially when she waggled her eyebrows then flopped into the sand. For a moment he wondered if she had passed out and he leaned forward a little to check. But then she spoke and he breathed out in relief. He wasn't entirely sure what the Orcs would do if they thought the brothers had poisoned their mistress.

"Naw, not unless you pain' shoes Lass," he chuckled and then took another sip of the whisky like it were a fine wine and not a burning liquid. He studied the bottle for a moment and then raised his golden eyes towards her and tilted his head slightly to the side.

"Ye can tell me to fuck off Lass, but - what do ye mean by 'weird'?" in this world weird could have any number of meanings. Not all of them good, but then not all of them were bad either.

• Wonder
Eyes cracked open and found their way to his twin golden suns.

She took a breath, held it, then exhaled. Hair fanned out in the sand where her head lay. Voice dropped low as if she was worried the others might hear them. Chin tilted toward him.

"Funny you said that about shoes." Hand held up between them, fingers waggling through the air. "When I paint or draw I can pull the object that I paint or draw from the canvas and it becomes something real. I can also hide real objects into canvas."

If Kailyn wasn't such a lightweight, she would've been way more wary and cautious about sharing openly about her magic. She knew it was dangerous. Her magic seemed to be rare and to some, like Gaheris, useless. And she was far from understanding it completely and still discovering other things she could do.

Seemed like alluring strangers and dragon's breath whiskey had a way of parting her lips.

"But will you promise not to tell anyone?" Head propped up closer to him for a moment.

• Wonder
Cillian couldn't believe anyone was this bad after a sip of whisky. It would have made it hard to concentrate on what she had been saying if the magic hadn't perked his interest so much. Such a gift was rare but he had come across it once before; an artist who had painted the ceilings of famous churches and palaces over in Oban. The man had been stark raving mad but his abilities and skill had been unquestionable. He raised a brow when she asked for him not to tell anyone.

"Does ye Emperor no' like gifted women?" He didn't fail to notice his own hypocrisy for he hid his gifts all the time, but then that had more to do with the fact of what he was rather than what he could do. But, as much as he wasn't keen on this growing Empire, he couldn't see a Fire Giant having a particular problem with magic. Especially with a damned Dragon as a vizier. "Aye, lassie, I won't tell a soul," he sighed and then brushed a strand of hair back from her face with a slight shake of his head. "But ye shouldna hide from the world, if ye fear yiz magic it will only get more powerful 'nd out of control."

He had seen enough in his time to know ignoring and hiding gifts was the way to disaster, especially in mortals.

Last edited:
  • Wonder
As his fingertips brushed across her face, she felt it again. A tingle of magic. She couldn't stop the relief mingled with curiosity from crossing her features.

"No he, Lord Gerra, knows and is not against magic. He warned me that others might use me for it." Voice was quiet again. She couldn't look away from those golden eyes though. She wondered if she looked long enough if she'd drown in molten.

Brow pinched.

"You sound like you've experienced magic being out of control before."

She left him enough space to elaborate on the topic if he wanted to. But didn't press him.

• Sip
"Then yer Emperor is a smar' man lass, tis world ain't a nice one. Given the chance most would use ya then leave ya," he returned his hand to the bottle at his hip and drew it to his lips, his eyes briefly closing as he savoured the taste of the liquor. He could feel her curiosity - taste it in the air even. Cilli could hardly blame her after the questions he had just asked and so he thought about how he could answer her question without answering it.

"I've travelled all o'er this world love, ain't much I ain't seen now," he set the bottle back down in the sand. "Me own gifts are no' wha' people would call common," his lips twitched and he briefly skimmed his fingers across the penny at his throat. "I will no' tell a soul abou' ye gift's lassie, dinna'ye worry."

• Popcorn
Kailyn blinked and tipped her head back in the sand. Eyes dragging away from golden to look at the twinkling stars instead.

"You know what, Cilli? I trust you." The second sentence was quieter. She didn't know if it's what she felt when she'd been close to that penny necklace of his. Or his fingertips against her cheek. But she typically trusted her instincts. Had gotten her this far.

Helped her survive the hellhole of Cerak At'Thul. Her time in Salitra and her encounter with the Emperor.

Head tilted back to his shadowy outline in the night, his features warmed by the firelight that the other four gathered around. The clinking of ale mugs being passed around with laughter and grunts of swearing at a losing hand filled the night air around them.

"You mean have more of a gift than being able to handle your liquor?" She laughed, a clear-bell like sound in the night. "And traveling for so long and so far. Doesn't your family miss you?" She assumed he was married.

• Popcorn