Fable - Ask A Dragon's Forgiveness

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Raimond winces at the thought of drinking water that anybody could question the authenticity of. He'd probably die of thirst before he put anything too murky or cloudy to his lips for a drink. In that way, maybe he was still of the privileged variety after all...

"Yeah? How far out were you living anyways? Obviously they don't teach us about what actually happens to people who get exiled here. It's an out of sight, out of mind mentality." Realizing that probably sounded a bit harsh, Thesius quickly waved a hand. "Not that I agree mind you, obviously I'm curious or I wouldn't be asking."

Before Androl would have a chance to say anything in response, the well-dressed old lady running the place brought out a tray with two warm cups of tea, spiced with some mint and given a squeeze of lemon for flavor. It wasn't too strong, but Rai liked the little kick with the bitterness of the leaves.

"Oh, you've got incredible timing, Miss Marrin. I'm parched." Rai beamed up at the kindly looking woman as the steaming ceramic cups were placed down on the table, with a pot of more for the two of them to share. Instructing them to enjoy, she shuffled back and vanished behind the counter once again.

"Mel showed me this place, the one I mentioned to you earlier before we got interrupted?" Androl had asked him about her before they'd had the unwelcome guest. Raimond hadn't gotten the chance to answer his question. "She's a beauty. Had a thing for her for a long time, but she's got a lot of pressure on her right now, being the last of heir of her bloodline and all, any choice she makes gets scrutinized. Doesn't leave much time in her schedule."

Raimond leans back, taking a long drink before sighing.

"Sometimes I swear the old farts here get their kicks trying to dictate how we spend our lives."

• Bless
Reactions: Androl
"Most of the time we live on the wall." Androl said with with a shrug. "It's not so bad there, warm bed, warm food, a fight every now and again."

Most of the beasts of Malakath had long since abandoned their attacks upon the great walls. Sometimes herds of Ogriden came crashing down, but it was never truly coordinated. It had been long since any had chosen to truly challenge the nations of dragons.

In the annals of his families histories battles of great armies were spoken of, but Androl had never experienced anything like them. "The rougher parts are when we range out into the wast-."

He cut himself off as the kindly old lady placed his drink in front of him. "Thank you."

The soldier said with a soft smile.

As the woman left. Raimond returned their conversation to the woman that he had earlier asked about. Androl listened carefully, smiling at his new friends expression as he spoke of this 'Mel'. He mused for a moment upon the nature of what Raimond said, shaking his head.

"I suppose the politics never ends." He offered. "We're all bound by laws written hundreds of years ago. I mean...until today I wasn't even allowed into the city because of something that someone I'd never even met had done four hundred years ago."

Androl shook his head. "Perhaps things need to change."

He mused outloud.

Raimond stifled a laugh into his tea at Androl's spoken thoughts. He was right, but saying it was a far cry from it actually happening. "Yeah, well saying that too loud sounds like the kinda thing that'll put you right back into the trouble you just got out of. You're lucky granny Marrin is so nice, here." Thesius had been smart about this place, his new friend wouldn't likely run into many high-nosed military minds this far into the Outer.

Rai swished the dark brown brew in his mouth a bit before swallowing with a satisfied exhale, setting the half-empty cup on the tray between them. "You'd think in a city filled with Dragons we'd spend more time appreciating how awesome the world around us is, but I'll tell you, Andy, I can't really promise you it's much better inside than it is out." It sounded harsh maybe, but he leaned forward on an elbow as he elaborated. "At least out where you were you could see the thing trying to kill you coming. The snakes in here will shake your hand and kiss your cheek, then stab you in the back as soon as you turn around. Metaphorically speaking, most of the time..."

There was a moment as he considered his own words. No, he couldn't honestly say that Thanasis was a hostile place by nature, but then the events that had occurred within his own family had shaped his opinion. Leaning back in his seat, he took another sip of tea.

"About seven years ago, my older brother lost his Dragon, his mobility, and his spirit in some military conflict outside the city. Took him two years before he could walk on his own, and he'll never do it without a cane. Know what the first thing this city asked him was?" Rai's gaze left his tea and met Androl's. "When are you coming back?"

• Popcorn
Androl listened attentively to Raimond, practically hanging on every word. Lips pressed together as he spoke about snakes in the garden, his fingers curling in memory of some of the things he’d read in his ancestors journals.

His head tipped in a nod as his friend spoke of his brother. Hearing a story that sounded all too familiar to his ears. ”I’m sorry.”

Androl said.

”For your brother.” Upon the wall, injury was often worse than death. Though those who were crippled in the line of duty were well cared for, the truth was many injured warriors often chose death over continuing life. The shame of no longer being able to fight, of being a burden, meant many could not bear it.

It seemed in Thanasis if they still thought you useful, they wouldn’t even give you the honor of a warrior’s end. Instead choosing to use you until you were broken.

”My mother told me of a saying once, from a place far away called Alliria.” Androl mused. ”’The Grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the hill.’”

He shook his head. ”It seems whether on the Wall or in Thanasis, there is always a reason to be watchful.”

Raimond shook his head lightly, seemingly uninterested in Androl's apology. He doubted he had anything to do with it, and sympathy was misplaced in this instance. "Don't be. Things aren't going to get better for him until he lets them." At some point, Raimond hoped Errune would put his foot down and stop allowing the city work him to death.

He hoped, but he doubted it.

Androl's other point was valid, though. As hard as he was sure life was upon the wall, there would be hardships no matter where you went. Where Thanasis struggled, perhaps Androl's home thrived, and perhaps this Alliria place was worse than both. To blame your woes entirely on one's home was fool's rage.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't let your guard down now that you're back." Raimond traced the rim of his cup, a little smirk breaking through. "Not everybody is a sweetheart like me, and I think you're alright."

• Bless
Androl smiled at his new friend.

Ironically, his father had said much the same things about Thanasis. There were dangers here which on the Wall were simply…not a factor. Sure there were arguments, even a few fights every now and again.

But on the wall when you stood with someone, you know they stood with you. That was how it was, how it would always be. Trust was important when the next monster to come by could rip out every organ in your body. To fight with someone, you needed to trust them, at least a little bit.

There was danger in thsi city, and Androl had to be aware of it. ”Thank you.”

He said to Raimond.

”I’m not entirely sure what would have happened had I not run into you.” Likely Androl would have spent the day wandering around like a fool. Perhaps with someone attempting to mug him. That was the last thing he needed, a whole incident where the crown could frame him for defending himself.

”Your generosity will not be forgotten.” Androl continued. ”If you ever find yourself on the wall, make sure to mention my name. You will be welcomed.”

His family would see to that.

Raimond again waved a hand to dismiss his gratitude. He appreciated the sentiment, sure, but it was no more than he would have done for any new face. He couldn't know what Androl had been so vilified for, or why he'd been allowed to return, and that was his business. Raimond only saw a man who genuinely wished to coexist in a place that wasn't sure it wanted him back yet.

There wasn't anything to be hostile about. Anybody who got in a fit over this was too dramatic for their own good.

"Ah, you'd have been fine." He smirks, finishing his tea and placing it back on the tray sitting between them. "Might have had to bust a moron's head, but you look like you can handle yourself in a tussle. Perks of Wall life, I'd wager." It was a half joke, but if Androl had stuck around the Inner District much longer after Rai had come across him, there was a pretty high chance somebody would have picked a fight with him. Somebody who knew more than Raimond did.

"Still, I'll keep that in mind..." He nodded. "Sometimes I think about getting the hell outta here, but I couldn't do that to my sister. It would put all my burdens on her, and she doesn't deserve that."

Looking out the window, noting how late it had gotten, Raimond bites the inside of his cheek and slaps a few more coins on the table. "Well, I better get home. The old man is going to get suspicious if I'm out much longer. But, listen..." Thesius stood up, and extended his hand down towards Androl. In his palm was one more coin, one with a family crest embellished on its surface."People start giving you trouble again, flash this at em'. They won't bother you if you have the blessing of the Thesius house. Our gets a lot of respect around here."

• Sip
Androl picked up the coin from Raimond's hand.

He flipped it over between his fingers for a brief moment, inspecting the emblem upon it as he nodded his head. Androl had heard of such tokens, they were usually meant to be distributed among soldiers and others riders, a sign of respect.

"Thank you." Unfortunately he did not have any of his own.

Such traditions had not found their way to the wall. There one trusted the person next to you because there was no other choice. Whatever else was there to talk about quickly fell away when one of the raucous creatures of Malakath came screaming at you from the sky.

"I will see you again some day." Androl remarked with a nod. "Your warnings will be heeded as I make my way through the city."

He chuckled. "You can be assured of that."

Some of what Raimond had told him about still surprised him, but it was in the back of his head now, and the lessons would not be soon forgotten. For today though, perhaps it would be best to simply call it quits. He had already tempted fate more than once.