Private Tales A Crossing of Blades

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Lale Carvyre

Character Biography
Link
Many remembered Valenntenia to be peaceful, kind, and gracious, but to their own Descended families, favour could be swayed easily.

Odhran Carvyre had been one of the most influential Generals of the Vanguard, but his distaste for being slighted for the role of Absalon had cut him deeply. He made enemies, which was not unnatural for those in the ancient household of Carvyre, but it was the fresh feel of the wounds felt by the fair people of Valenntenia. It was almost two years ago that he had incited riots, almost tearing apart a section of the Old Town, scars of that night still seen on some buildings if one knew where to look.

But even his only surviving child was not free of the anger returned to the Carvyres.

Six nights ago, an attempt had been made against her life.

It was easy to forget that the Lady Lale had in fact been trained in combat, as all members of the ancient family name were known for their dedication to the Vanguard. She had fought off the offender in her own home, had caught them by surprise. The assailant only managed to run away due to being the first to draw blood, cleaning slicing across the Lady Lale's throat. What was sure to be her death bed, the next morning word spread that the Carvyre woman would survive, and that proper medics had seen to her.

It was her choice to leave her family estate in favour of Dornoch, where she had family, but most of all there were many that came to this city looking for work. Coin, she had plenty of, but she did not dress herself to show that. In fact, she kept hidden beneath a finely tailored burgundy cloak, a fashioned collar stopping below her jaw. She still wore bandages, but she insisted on being here to meet someone her sources had picked out for the job. They would not know her name, only been instructed to look for someone wearing the sigil of two spears crossed before a circle.

Carvyre.PNG

• Melting
Reactions: August Oreno
It was not often that August got a job like this... or an interview to a job anyway. Usually he met people in darkened alleyways or in churches at night. The latter were especially popular for some reason. Perhaps they assumed that nobody dared to spy in the halls of the gods or they believed that plotting murder inside a church would fasten the time of their absolution.

A quick murder order and then into the booth with the priest.

Instead the meet was supposed to happen in a bar. Not particularly original, but some people just didn't have any imagination. And this particular contact that whispered the name of August Oreno into the ear of Lady Carvyre was certainly not imaginative.

They compensated by being highly effective at what they did. So when Lale Carvyre entered the bar it didn't take long for someone to peel off the bar and brush past her. "Up the stairs... second room to the right. Wait until I am gone before going up there."

And the figure disappeared before Lale could say or question anything.

Once that occurred and she (presumably) followed the instructions she'd find a man in the room. Currently looking out the window. Large, shaped more like a bull than a wolf, he held little in the way of ceremony.

"The Lady of Spears." August murmured. "How can we be of assistance?"

• Smug
Reactions: Lale Carvyre
Up the stairs, and the room to her right, two doors down, Lale knew there was no need to knock. She opened the door and strode in, pausing only to close it behind herself before turning to glimpse the bulky male by the window. When he spoke, Lale crossed the room, slowing herself before coming to stand by the second window his form did not take up.

"I have a name of someone I want brought in. Doing so would cause upset in the city where I am from, so I need the discreetness our mutual acquaintance assured me you excel in." She spoke in a softer voice, still healing, but if her were to take a glance her way, he would see the determination and means for this job to be done quickly as possible. Someone had done a grave injustice against her, and her family were not the kind to let such a thing go unpunished.

Her life was almost taken before her time, and she only wanted the same brought against her offender.

"So of your service, I would need you to bring them to me somewhere none will discover us... questions first, but my hands must be kept clean of this."

• Melting
August listened with interest.

Bringing in. Bring them somewhere. No discovery.

That was a tricky game. August preferred it when it was a clear execution or killing job. You went in, you stabbed the bastard through the throat, you left again. Easy.

"Price goes up for a live delivery job, my Lady." August said simply as he glanced to her, his eyes going up and down her features with clear appreciation. "The risk is magnified catching them alive and then to extract them without detection."

However August did not say it was impossible.

"Who is the target and what can you tell me about them?" Them. August clearly did not care about the gender of the target. A woman, a man, he'd do whatever needed to be done as long as the price was right. As long as his pouch was heavy at the end of the job.

He pushed himself off the wall and wandered over to the table. Beginning to pour himself a goblet of wine and offering her one as well if she wished.

• Smug
Lale peered down her nose to the streets of Dornoch below, watching as oxen and horses still worked transporting goods at this evening hour. "Price is no concern, but I expected as much. I will also double the fee if you deliver quick enough." Finally, she tore her gaze away from the window to look at the Mercenary.

"His name is Reed Kehlvan. Valenntenian native, and a member of the Faith. The son of the High Priest. I cannot be seen or known to have a hand in this, so you will need to go to this address by the docks in order to claim your money." From the pocket of her cloak, nestled between two fingers, she held out the slip of parchment with the address and generous offer of silver and gold coin for this obligation.

It hurt to move her neck still, even with all the healing salves, poultices, and herbs she had learned all over Epressa, there was nothing a human could do to bear the pain. She had turned her body to address him, and began unclasping her cloak to reveal the bandages beneath it, wrapped around the base of her throat. "Any more questions?"

As soon as she saw him pour a second glass, she wandered over to the small table and stared at his face until he met her gaze. She took the offered wine, but made no move to drink it immediately. "Or are we understood?"

• Thoughtful
He licked his lips at the prospect of grabbing a cleric. August loathed the clerics and others that were of the Faith, because they were such... gross hypocrites. They preached about love and moderation, while taking advantage of their flock. Living in absolute luxury.

This one August could have done for free.

Not that he would tell Lale this, because then he wouldn't get paid.

"I will travel to this place right after our meeting is finished, my Lady, worry not." Doubling the fee? On top of already it being pushed up?

Oh, yes, August enjoyed the way this woman worked.

"We are completely understood." August said with a smile as he raised his cup to her. "To a bright new partnership, ma'am. After all, if I complete this one for you, who is to say you won't need my services again... and again?"

Those with clean hands most often found themselves getting addicted to his quick solutions.

• Sip
Lale raised a brow at him, smirk leading her lips to twitch. "Oh, I have not told you the most important detail yet." With his interest in the job expressed, the manner of her wealth displayed, Lale watched him over the rim of goblet. The wine differed to the like in Valenntenia, but held a stronger taste that she preferred.

Setting down the goblet, her hand trailed to the bandaging at the base of her neck, seen under the collar of her shirt. "I did not come all this way to leave the job entirely to your hands. No... I have appearances to keep up." She pulled at the gauze, a light hum noting the sharp sting as the still healing wound had been disturbed, but Lale revealed the angry red line across her throat. She allowed him to stare at it, to see what it was worth to go about this the way she did.

"I need to be seen in society and in public when you operate. Step by step, I cannot even be thought of in connection to the job once it comes to light. In saying that, we are to meet prior to whatever you do next. After all, the rat came to Dornoch. Those loyal to my father and my family reported Reed to be gambling in an elven tavern found in the Outer Wall." At her hip, a small leather pouch containing different vials was shown, her fingers delicately taking one filled with a milky and silvery substance. She poured it into her wine, unafraid to ruin the smooth wine, before downing it.

"A little tonic to help me heal." She informed, reaching for the wine bottle to pour herself a fresh glass to help wash the taste. Growing up in a military family, Lale had taken it upon herself to ensure she was never taken off the table, that she always had a seat in representing the Carvyre name. "The bandages are to keep up pretenses."

• Popcorn
He listened closely and then nodded slowly.

"I see. So I track him down- I make sure to be aware of his every movement. Then before I strike I notify you and you make sure to be seen socializing elsewhere." August summed up there as he watched her down the silvery milk with a bit of a grimace himself.

It smelled foul so August didn't really want to know how it tasted.

"That is fine. How will I contact you once I am in the city with the rat?" That was one question, but there were several more that were important.

"Furthermore, do I need to organize a safe house to stash him in myself or will it be provided to me in advance?"

At the very least it would show Lale Carvyre that he wasn't just a pretty face with a sterling reputation. No, August thought these things through and wanted to make sure every job didn't just go well, it had to go entirely perfect without a hitch.

Complications often proved deadly for the folks involved.

And August wanted to retire in wealth and comfort.

• Smug
"There is an establisment within the Second Wall, an old friend runs it and will uphold the favour she owes me. Take Reed there, ask for Ivelle and tell her to remember what happened in Oban." Carvyre did not divulge him more than that, but Ivelle would remember the life debt.

Tucking the vial securely at her waist, the woman was free to wash her mouth by savouring a sip of her wine. She lifted her darkened grey eyes to the mercenary. "I have a party I am to attend tomorrow, conveniently the tavern that Reed is frequenting is to hold a competition with a large sum for a prize. A ruse, on my part. You are to watch his every move, to see where he goes after and who he speaks with. I am to know if he attempted to take my life on his own volition or not." And if it all went to her plan, within the week he would be tied down in a cellar somewhere and the very much alive and recovering Lale standing over him.

"Here. Twin medallions with runes that allow us to summon the other. You pick a location and I will come to you before you are to strike."

• Devil
Lale Carvyre

"Of course, it sounds like you have thought this through." And by the tone of August it was clear that he approved of her foresight and planning. He took the medallion and glanced at it with interest until he looked back up to her.

"Careful, my Lady. I might just decide to keep it... so I can communicate with you more often."

Smirking there as he sipped from his glass again.

Then making it disappear before she could demand it back again.

"May I ask what you are planning on doing with this chap by the time I deliver him to you?" It didn't really matter to August on a personal note. But it would affect the way he'd handle the mission. For instance, if she wanted to kill him at the end, then he wouldn't risk everything to bring him in alive. No matter what she said. If on the other hand she needed to extract information from him?

He'd certainly risk a lot more to make sure he got him back alive.

• Smug
Lale's mouth quirked upwards into a sly smile. "Cannot have you turning sentimental and soft. Not when I prefer to see strength and determination in those I ask service of." But her eyes gave brief assessment of his appearance after the coin disappeared upon his person.

"You deliver him to me and I will get information I need. What happens to him after depends on what he shares..." Her father had been known as a driving force of the Vanguards of Valenntenia, but his hand had been cruel to his daughters. He had a weak daughter, Lale's younger sister who had since passed, but Lale had built herself to be without fault in his eyes. She had made it her duty to show him she too was a warrior, that she would make the name and history of Carvyre proud.

"And yet he came for my life, mercenary. There has to be a punishment to teach him a lesson... do you have any suggestions as to what?"

• Bless