Knights of Anathaeum Wishing On A Star

Threads open to all members of the Knights of Anathaeum group

Byanka Valkas

Invisible?
Character Biography
Link

The weather was still cold but the snow was melting, the sun's rays reaching towards the earth and beckoning life back out once more. The season of growing and life was near upon Arethil, and one could feel it, especially on this night in Astenvale. The sun had shone brightly during the day, warming the air so that cloaks and gloves might not be necessary for the Knights of Anathaeum as they walked through Astenvale.

The sun set with a splendid array of colors, slowly turning the sky a darkened indigo. There was not a cloud in the sky, and the stars could be seen clearly as night fell. It was a splendid sight, one that was to be celebrated by the knights. Blankets were laid on a grassy field, and shops and booths were open, though the only light came from the stars and moons in the sky; no one wished to overpower the stars on this night.

Byanka walked behind a group of other knights as she made her way from the Monastery into town. Laughter and music rang through the air, and for the first night in long while, she did not have a headache. She relished in her clear mind, a rare smile across her face. A lot had happened since she had gone to any sort of celebration, and she had changed quite a bit. Her hair was a good bit shorter, and she was soon to have a noble title- Lady Valkas. It was beginning to grow on her.

She saw many familiar faces, none without a smile. Despite the hour getting later, no one seemed to be tired; rather, energies seemed to increase with the lack of light. There were even some dancing in an open spot of grass, amidst the blankets, chairs and people filling the town and field to admire the stars. Some of the more scholarly type could be heard claiming a star shower was in the charts for tonight.

Walking at the back of the group, careful not to send the odd rock spinning into the knights ahead of her, Gruki smiled to herself as Astenvale village hove into view. On a clear night, you could see the lights of the settlement burning from all the way up at the monastery. Tonight, however, no torches had been lit, no watchfires struck.

The only light to go by was that of the stars and the setting sun. Frankly, Gruki found the whole experience quite breathtaking.

'The Festival of Stars,' she spoke softly, as if afraid of spoiling the moment. Memories of her childhood came flooding back to her, making her vision turn cloudy. 'I never get tired of seeing the villagers come together like this. They're good folk... humble and true.' Gruki smiled, her belly rumbling. 'And they put on a good spread.'

Already she could see families gathering on the village green, could hear the laughter of children as they darted about, playing kiss-chase and swinging wooden stick-swords at each other. A few, seeing the knights approach, ran over, flimsy branches held high. One, a young half-orc, saluted Gruki as he shot past, chasing after the older boys. Gruki had half a mind to pick him up and put him on her shoulders.

Alas, her arms were occupied carrying bundles of blankets.

'Where should we sit?' She asked, glancing around at her knights. Syr Byanka was the closest. Shorter by some considerable measure, she had done something with her hair. Cut it, styled it differently. The look suited her but Gruki didn't bother saying anything. Byanka probably already knew.

'Copper for your thoughts?'

Byanka Valkas

Byanka looked up as Gruki spoke, her smile becoming fuller. "It is lovely," she replied. She was about to elaborate on the loveliness of the evening when a group of children spotted the knights and ran up to them. As quick as they were there, they were gone- chasing each other with wooden swords and outstretched arms.

Byanka's smile did not fade, but she wished she had had a childhood like that. Filled with laughter, free of worry, surrounded by loving friends and family.

She missed Gruki's first question, but caught the second one when it was directed specifically at her. She blinked, and looked up into her fellow knight's gold eyes.

"I envy their joy," she said softly, gesturing to the children. "I can't remember being that happy when I was that age."

She paused as some in their group broke off, taking blankets from Gruki's arms. Bare patches in the grass were quickly taken as people laid down blankets and children ran amongst them all.

Gruki

• Blank
Reactions: Gruki
Gruki nodded, momentarily distracted by the knights swarming her for blankets. Smiling apologetically at Byanka, the tall half-orc waited until they were gone before replying. 'I can't recall the last time you talked about your childhood.' Byanka was mysterious like that. Or maybe she just doesn't enjoy talking about herself? Tilting her head just so, Gruki's smile brightened, grew warmer.

'What was it like?'

Finding an unoccupied spot away from the crowds, Gruki laid out their blanket. Plaid, it was. Red and black and frilly along one edge. This should do. She thought to herself, taking a brief glance at the stars before unshouldering her knapsack and placing it on the blanket between them.

'I brought food and drink! Just a little. Not too much.' Smiling self-consciously, Gruki undid the buckles.

Though she wasn't without coin, there were times where she had been perhaps a touch too altruistic with her funds. There were always people in need of help, after all. In Astenvale, and beyond... in the lesser-known parts of the Valen.

'What about now?' Gruki asked, smoothing out the blanket before sitting down. 'Are you happy now?'

Byanka Valkas

• Aww
Reactions: Byanka Valkas
Byanka waited as the rest of the knights grabbed blankets and drifted off. She stayed with Gruki as the half-orc laid out a blanket for them.

"Dull," Byanka replied, rather bluntly. "I lived on my father's estate but I was never allowed in his presence for long; I was an embarrassment, especially to my father's wife. I couldn't go to banquets, parties, anything. It was like I was being punished for something that wasn't my fault,"

She and Gruki had grown up together in the Order- Gruki knew perhaps more about Byanka's past than any of the other knights did.

Byanka sat down on the blanket beside Gruki. She paused a minute before responding to Gruki's next question.

"I think I am happy, especially right now," she said softly. "But what about you?" She felt guilty for bringing the mood down with her sad, boring childhood; she had to remind herself that Gruki had asked, so she had to care. Even just a little bit.

Gruki

• Derp
Reactions: Gruki
'Me?' Gruki pondered the question a moment, surprised Byanka would ask. 'I suppose I'm happy. I mean, you're here! Is that not reason enough?' It was true. They had both grown up together, been taught the same lessons by the same people in the same places. Of course, Byanka's tuition had started a few years prior to her arrival at the monastery.

Gruki didn't like to think of them as lost years, per se. She had, after all, been experiencing the world and all it had to offer, albeit with her real family... instead of the one she had managed to pick up along the way.

The Order of Anathaeum was her family now. Sure, Ma and Pa were still out there, somewhere, but time and distance had taken care of the pain Gruki had felt at losing them. Though, again, she hadn't really lost anything. 'I'm... sorry, by the way. It couldn't have been easy, being born into that sort of life.' Some folk had a nasty habit of looking down on bastards, like it was their fault they had been born out of wedlock.

Fools, the lot of them!

'My ma and pa weren't married when they had me, and I like to think things worked out okay for us all in the end.' Gruki shrugged, found something to admire in the middle distance. 'Times change and we change with them. Who we were is not who we are today.' Another shrug as Gruki turned to direct a smile at Byanka. 'Wouldn't you agree?'

Byanka Valkas

Byanka flushed and she was glad for the low light. Byanka didn't have to ask if Gruki meant it- she could tell she did. Byanka could count on one hand the number of people who had told her outright that she made them happy.

"It's not your fault, any more than it's mine," Byanka replied, surprising herself at the level of calm and certainty in her voice. She realized she had come to peace with it. There were only so many things she could blame herself for.

Byanka held Gruki's gaze as she gave a little piece of her childhood before the Order. They were similar, Byanka thought, and even if it was a small thing, she was grateful for it.

"Definitely," she nodded, meeting Gruki's smile with one of her own. Byanka had changed much, even just in the past few days; and not just physically. She still dealt with frequent headaches, but she found it easier to bear them, especially in friendly company.

"What sort of food and drink did you bring?" she changed the subject, sitting up straighter, her smile not yet faltering.

Gruki

• Wonder
  • Ooof
Reactions: Aarno and Gruki
There was a specific scent to the night at spring, after a sunny day where dust and yet melting earth mingled in the air. A pleasant sort of freshness of a colder eve and waking flora in it all, something that was often lacking once summer properly arrived. The grass had greened up well in the past week, reaching skyward at so much lifegiving radiance inch by inch. Glancing at the little field wherein people sat, whispering amongst each other, he decided it’d dried up pretty well, considering how much snow there’d been earlier.

Cleaned up nicely, too, he decided in his staring at the ground, the little stripes from a rake lingering on the turf. He came to belatedly therein, realizing his kin scattering and hurrying to take one of the last blankets from the large squire, Gruki. The bundle, a heavy knit in a washed out rust orange, was put underarm as he lingered, like a man undecided where he ought settle.

His stare swept over to the row of stalls, a myriad of shopkeepers at work well-illuminated under the twin moons. From some of them, steam was rising, promising.

Why not some tea, hmh? Then he’d sit down at long last, perhaps.

• Bless
Reactions: Byanka Valkas
'Oh, nothing special.' Laying her pack down, Gruki began removing select items, all of them neatly-wrapped and ready for travel. 'Bread, cheese, grapes, salami. Even some figs, believe it or not.' The Valen, while temperate, lacked the sort of warm climate necessary to grow figs. In any meaningful amount, at least. Which was a shame, really.

Cause Gruki simply adored figs.

'I brought some wine, too. Just a skin-full. If this year's festival is anything like the last, someone's gonna have to lead this lot home come the dawn.' Maybe even carry a couple. Good thing Syr Faramund isn't here. She thought, smiling to herself. The dawnling liked his liquor, but his liquor certainly didn't like him. Mind you, the same could be said for many a knight.

'Is that... Syr Aarno! Over here!' Holding up a hand, Gruki waved to him. Though the Festival of Stars was as good a night as any for solitude and reflection, it was always best spent with friends.

Byanka Valkas Aarno

Petra took a deep inhale of the crisp winds that flew by her face. She was tucked low in her saddle as Norvyk hugged the jagged tree line, brushing the tops of stubborn snow with his claws. The moons played like quicksilver over the emerald scales along her dragon's neck, soft and playful with their dance.

Eager to attend The Festival of Stars, they had left the Monastery to fly ahead and meet with her fellow Knights for an evening of stories, merriment, good drink, and star-gazing. And Petra was tracking the stars above when Norvyk informed her that they had arrived.

That familiar dip in her gut went with her dragon's sharp dive, the exhilaration never grew old, and she left her thrilled laughter behind with the stars as Norvyk made for the flower covered field below where there weren't people.

With practiced grace, the Dawnling slid from her saddle and smoothed down the ruffled fabric of her festival clothes. Her hair tinkled pleasantly with the golden adornments she had fastened into her wild curls. Petra had wanted to look nice for the occasion and pulled out garb she hadn't worn since when she lived in Fal'Addas.

She wore a high-necked tunic of navy blue that cut off at her midriff, the stars that patterned portions of it felt appropriate for the festival, and the sleeves were sharp and short to reveal golden cuffs on both biceps. While the pants she wore were of a flowy and thin material, the sides opening to slits down her leg and cuffing again at her ankles. It was perhaps something best reserved for the summer, but Petra found she didn't care as much when she thought of the warmth of fires and good company.

Her cheeks were darkened by a mauve flush from the brisk flight, her fanged grin hard to temper and easier to give with the electric feel to the air. And when she spotted her fellow members of the Order, that grin grew to a smile as she jogged over, Norvyk at her heel like a docile jungle cat.

Byanka was about to say something about the food and why Gruki had brought so much of it and how delicious it looked when she called out to Aarno who was apparently still standing nearby. Byanka started, feeling guilty for not realizing he was still standing there, especially considering how invisible she felt most of the time.

She smiled at him as if that could make up for it. She slipped back into silence. She did not know him as well as she knew Gruki and she felt guilty for that too. What was that about not blaming herself for everything? Byanka couldn't remember.

She heard the wingbeats of a dragon and did not have to look up to know that Petra and her dragon, Norvyk had arrived.

Byanka looked up to the sky and almost wished it was just her and Gruki again- she didn't know the others nearly as well. As soon as she thought it, she felt guilty once more. She was being selfish, and wasn't the point of the festival to spend time with friends and make new ones?

Gruki Aarno Petra Darthinian

He’d barely gotten his tea in hand when his name was called, reaching and heard clear in the cooling eve. With sluggish surprise he perked to attention at it, brows arched in question until he realized whose voice it had been. The squire’s shape was in the middle distance, already sat down with Syr Valkas and waving a hand, beckoning.

He hesitated, catching himself doing so. And for what— Anxiety? Not improbable, taking how little reference he had for the both of them as it came to even simple interests. There was no admitting collective fault here, himself the recluse and not nearly as settled into the Order as most, some of which were nigh half his age. Ah, well—

Mustering a smile, terribly self-conscious, he met the she-orc’s cheer with a nod and begun towards them. Took the hassle of looking for a proper spot of his own out of the equation, at the very least. As he walked, he realized beneath his soles a tremor, his look tracing it towards the trees. Across the field strolled a dragon and next to it, the unmistakable figure of—

“ Darthinian. Norvyk. Had a pleasant flight? “ He acknowledged the pair, raising his tea in greeting as he came to a halt next to Gruki and Byanka. The blanket fell from the nook of his arm, yet left unfolded at his feet. Taking a sip of his drink, he glanced down at the many things the squire had dug out from her pack and set out, a good old bounty.

“ Is that figs, Gruki. “ He asked, brows arched like he’d just discovered a crime being committed. “ How? Last time I saw any that weren't dried was back in Alliria. “

Petra Darthinian Gruki Byanka Valkas

Arbok was tired and just a bit cold. The night air helped perk her up a bit but even so her heart was just not in the experience.
"Hi everyone, good evening."
She greeted her friends as she arrived, a massive blanket under her arm.
Without any ceremony she gave a cursory glance at the sky.
"Looks great huh?"
With a most lazy effort she unrolled the blanket and flopped down onto it.
"Oh there's food, that's nice."
Her voice slowed as sleep slowly tightened it's hold over her.
The days since her recovery had been gruelling. She had insisted on training harder, working longer to make up for it.
Still she did not want to miss this, if only in the strictness sense of being there were possible.

The Chrysanthemum clan gathered, bringing tea and well-wishes. Even Syr Aarno was caught up in the magic of the evening, which was nice. 'Dunhold,' she explained, smiling the accusation away. 'I... um, requisitioned a few bunches from Her Lordship's personal stores. M-meaning I asked her for them, and she was kind enough to say yes.'

Gruki was no thief. When she wanted something, she asked. Polite-like.

Leaning over, Gruki unrolled Aarno's blanket as he turned to address Miss Petra and her friendly dragon, Norvyk. She could feel the ground quaking against her knees as she glanced up at them, a subtle warmth to her gaze.

'Hello!' She greeted them both, smiling as she scooched back to sit beside Byanka, a little closer this time. 'Would you like some tea? We have-... Mmm, well, we have wine. I don't know where Syr Aarno found tea.' Probably from one of the vendors, if she had to guess. Maybe even the Wyvern's Nest.

Tanith's chocolate chip cookies really are to die for. She thought distractedly, starting as Arbok unfurled yet another blanket to join them.

The she-bear looked tired and not entirely with it. Gruki knew she had been pushing herself hard lately, perhaps because she felt like she had let her friends down at the hilltop all those moons ago. Gruki didn't think she had. No-one did, really.

'Anyone care for a grape?'

Byanka Valkas Aarno Petra Darthinian Arbok

Byanka was quiet as others gathered, laying out their own blankets. She tried to keep a pleasant expression on her face, but when Gruki scooted closer, Byanka wondered if Gruki had noticed her distress. It only warmed her to she-orc more.

Arbok approached and sat with their group. This time, Byanka's smile was not so pained. She had fought by the she-bear's side against the construct, and Byanka liked to think she had made another friend that day.

Byanka looked back to Gruki as she offered some grapes. Byanka's smile came easy now; she couldn't help it. Gruki's unbothered joy was a balm for Byanka's nerves. She took a couple of the proffered grapes and popped them in her mouth, savoring the sweet juices that burst in her mouth. How long since she had had any real, juicy fruit? It was all meat, bread, cheese, ale, and coffee.

Gruki Arbok Aarno Petra Darthinian

Requisitioned? A kindness from Her Lordship — Fancy.

Giving a sly nod, he accepted the response without dispute or further question, attention drawn to Arbok’s arrival. He but spoke her name in greeting, a low mutter as the ever cheerful Gruki tended to properly welcoming everyone into their midst.

It was slowly forming out to be a proper party. Like a man yet on the fence about whether he ought stay or slink away, Aarno remained standing, a decision made awkward once he realized Gruki had taken the liberty to unfurl his blanket for him. It was the kind of effortless, sincere kindness, small and yet so large, that he hadn’t but to be utterly coerced by it.

And that had been before the grapes and wine were mentioned.

“ Tea requires you go get it from one of the fine people keeping shop over there— “ He jerked his head past his shoulder, wherein the moonlit stalls loomed, offering a bounty of things beyond just the tea.

“ The blends are limited, out here, but it does warm you up all the same. “ A shrug of one shoulder as he tried to soften the statement in a smile, a little half-hearted. What was he supposed to do— pretend he wasn’t picky? Beh.

“ If anyone wants any at some point, I don’t mind fetching. Can’t really sit still for long. “ He offered, sparing explanation as he finally appeared to relent, slowly lowering himself to his blanket. One leg bent for balance, the other was stretched straight, cup of tea cradled on his lap. Once he continued, it was deadpan and not as much in jest as he would've prefered.

“ Lest you lot fancy carrying me back to the Monastery. “

Gruki Byanka Valkas Arbok

"Worrange blendth pleash, wiv whoney thank you Aarno!"
Arbok's eyes were closed and her hand lazily held aloft above her prone form.
Her mouth slurred the words as her mind fought on the loosing battle against sleep.
Her other hand had lain out beyond the reach of her blanket and was gripping grass in its knuckles as if it had some mind of its own.
"Byanka?"
She slid an eye open with way more effort than she was used to and began to scan the gatherers for her saviour.

Aarno
Gruki
Byanka Valkas
Petra Darthinian

'Um, not particularly!' Gruki confessed, tucking her legs in a little tighter as Syr Aarno set to stretching one of his. Is that his bad knee? She pondered, face scrunching thoughtfully. Should I ask him? Fortunately, a voice drew her from her musings before she could come to a decision.

Turning, her smile brightened as she took in the sleepy form of Arbok.

'I'll go!' Gruki told the group as she clambered to her feet, all too aware of the food surrounding them. 'Anyone else fancy a cuppa? Petra? Byanka?' Stepping beyond the frilly confines of her blanket, the tall half-orc waited a moment, her eyes taking in the hooded lights and the people gathering around them. Villagers, for the most part, they greeted the knights they saw with warmth and well-wishes.

Gruki felt a stirring in her chest that wasn't entirely unrelated to the sights unfolding around her.

'I'll be back,' she said, strolling off before anyone could notice her distress. 'Save a place for me!'

Petra Darthinian Byanka Valkas Aarno Arbok