A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Elspeth Sirl

Heart & Starfire
Character Biography
Link
Cortosi Coast
Sirl Seaside Estate

proxy.php

This journey would have been laboriously long and lonely if not for prudent planning and a bit of luck. Nearly a week spent traveling by sea had gone by like a breezy day on the shore - with remarkable weather, wonderful company, and all too quickly. Elspeth Sirl was returning to a home of hers she'd not seen since she was 12, and though her anxiety of returning to memories she often found herself dwelling upon had grown steadily more all-encompassing with each passing day, the presence of Olvir Weiroon by her side gave her the strength she felt she lacked to see the journey through.

Time together, if not entirely alone thanks in part to her Dreadlord Guard Ser Aloref and her Handmaiden Winry, well spent conversing of topics that could take their time. Rather than feeling rushed for only having a few short hours of an afternoon, they had many lazy days at sea to do nothing but linger in story and conversation that elsewise had been set aside. She spoke of her time in Dornoch, of the many friends she'd made and the amazing things she'd learned and practiced there under the tutelage of learned Doctors, Healers, Herbalists, Apothecaries, and more. She delighted in listening to Olvir's stories of his own travels and the missions he found himself enlisted in for his father. Of the things he was doing now to prove himself worthy of the Sirl name. Of the things he planned to do.

She felt they'd barely spent any time at all when the Captain informed them during breakfast that day they would be making port at the estate docks.

And now Elspeth found herself standing on the docks themselves while supplies were offloaded from the ship and transferred to a line of carts and wagons, staring up at the alabaster walls of her old home in silent trepidation.

"I feel... lost," Elsi admitted quietly to Olvir as he joined her side, "I only knew I wanted to come here since Elias told me he'd visited. I've been so nostalgic for this place, but now that I'm here..." she frowned, looking down along the sandy shores where memories served themselves up to her mind on a silver platter, "I'm not really sure what I'm going to do."

• Smug
Reactions: Olvir
Time was a funny thing. It could seem to drag enough that a minute lasted for all the ages of the world itself, and yet in other instances a week could feel like a snap of the fingers. Over so brief that it was hard to even catch.

Descending from the gangplank, Ollie found himself reflecting on just how quickly time seemed to pass when he was with Elspeth Sirl.

The moments never seemed to linger, slipping by and enhanced only by mirth and joy. Even when a story turned serious or a confession became grim, the comfort of her presence was enough to make what would have been a moment of suffering into a cherished memory. Olvir had enjoyed every second upon their journey, so much so that he was almost ready to go back.

”Everything.” He answered as he stepped up behind Elspeth, smiling as he peered down the length of the docks and towards the Estate itself.

Ollie had never visited this particular home of the Sirl’s. Nearly every one of the Great Houses had dozens of varying estates, homes, and summer lodges. It was rare for anyone but closest to the families to have visited all, or really any, of them.

For the young noble, this was a happy sign of the burgeoning progress. He assumed that since Elspeth’s father had okayed this trip, his long labors of impressing the man were finally coming to fruition. Surely he would soon re-approve the betrothal. ”Anything.”

He told her with a smile, stepping up and offering her a hand.

”And.” Ollie looked at her, smile turning into a grin. ”You’ll be doing none of it alone.”

• Ctuhlu senpai
Reactions: Elspeth Sirl
She may have glossed over the fact that her father had given any such permission at all. As it stood, her father had been quite busy and actively leaving the estate in the capital for business in the city. His distractions had afforded her leave without much follow-up and so far as Doran Sirl was aware, she was simply here with a friend. He perhaps thought she meant a lady friend, but he'd not pressed the issue. Something about important business with the crown.

Elsi had not a thought on what that important business could be, but her father had seemed much more interested in participating in court as of late. Which wasn't exactly something she was remiss of, but she'd spent enough time warming palms to her house lately that he might be out there undoing her efforts.

Those souring thoughts set aside, a warm look met Olvir's words and a smile found its way back to her lips as she looked upon him. How right he was! She would not be alone. There was him, and of course her handmaiden Winry, and her guard Ser Aloref, among the small retinue of house keepers that had remained at the estate.

"You are right, of course," Elsi said, "anything and everything is a tall order ... perhaps we should start with a tour?"

Olvir had never been here before and there was much to see.

• Aww
"A tour?" Ollie said, smiling as he looked down at Elspeth. "Well, I suppose that does make the most sense."

He looked over towards the massive fortress for a brief moment, scanning the walls and the architecture. It was less...brutal in architectural style than he had expected. House Sirl had never particularly made it's reputation known on it's artistic expression. Still, here it seemed the family had allowed the architect some little leeway.

Even if only to get a little cheer and sun from the shore.

Not that his own family was much better with their own Estates when it came to their proclivities. The Weiroon Winter House was such an ostentatious display of wealth that even other Noble's had commented that it was a 'bit much'. "Perhaps you'll be my guide?"

Ollie asked, offering his beloved a respectful arm.

• Cthuulove
"I will have to dig deep for those memories of this place," Elspeth admitted and not without a hint of longing for the days spent here with her parents, "but I will do my best."

Her smile returned as she looped her arm through his, feeling the warmth of the sun all the more distinctly under her collar in doing so. Naturally should she falter or become lost, there would be the Estate watch and help to turn to of whom were already moving to greet her in a line.

"My Lady look!" Winry her handmaiden excitedly pointed, "Old Johnny's still here!"

This caught Elsi's alarmed attention as she turned first to look at Winry and then to follow the line of her arm to the man standing in the main gateway with a very tired and very old hound sitting by his feet, tail wagging.

"Oh the Gods have been good," Elsi gasped, gripping Ollie's arm as she leaned in to say, "that dog is ancient. It was here when I was just a girl." Smile broad, she set off alongside him to walk along the pebblestone drive that lead into the main courtyard of the estate's entry.

"Mr. Shull, it is so wonderful to see you again," she greeted the old man who beamed back at her through a peppered beard, "and Old John ... how can we be so blessed with your presence still?" Her off hand left Ollie's arm as she bent slightly to gently stroke the old dog's head.

Old John panted up at her with a white-mawed and bleary-eyed glee.

"He was waiting for his Lady," Mr. Shull replied, "knew you'd be back someday."

Ollie walked alongside Elspeth like the smiling fool that he was.

In truth he would have been happy if she'd asked him to come along and walk besides the sewer with her. He was happy to simply be here, to get to spend time with her. There was a moment where he had thought their betrothal in doubt, and now?

Now he was more confident than ever.

As they continued along the path and encountered the old hound, Ollie practically beamed. "Wow!"

He declared. His own family had kept mostly show-hounds, something to do with the pedigree of the Weiroon name. But in Alliria Ollie had befriended several of the local streets strays, something he'd been advised again, but done anyway.

As Elsi spoke to the old man, Ollie squatted besides her, gently petting the dogs head.

"Loyal, then." He said with a smile. "Always thought that was the best quality someone could have."

The Noble mused, scratching Old John's ear.

• Cthuulove
Indeed, loyalty was a required asset to be part of House Sirl. Those who stood the test of time against the family's dangerous and threatening ways were rewarded handsomely for good service and loyal minds. For many it may have been simply out of fear, but for some like Mr. Shull and Old John it was out of love. Elspeth had known the man her entire life and though she'd only ever spent time with him while here at the seaside estate, the memories were enduring.

"Oh you must join us for dinner tonight, Mr. Shull," she said as she righted herself to give Ollie the chance to garner as many pats with Old John as he could.

"You are most kind, My Lady," Shull pulled his hat from his head and dipped it respectfully toward her, "but is that such a proper thing to do? My Lord would-"

"My father is not in attendance with us," Elspeth proclaimed loud enough that all who had arrived to greet them seemed to sigh silently in relief. A tension lifted and it was nearly palpable. Elsi smiled as she looked around at them all, some faces she yet recognized from her youth still and many she did not. How things had changed.

"I am here on holiday with Master Olvir Weiroon," she continued, "whom I hope beyond hope to renew my betrothal to and that you might some day call him your Lord."

Behind her Winry was beaming so brightly her cheeks had turned so red they might've been apples.

"Please, you that know me know well that I do not stand on the same ceremony as my father. I beg of you to treat with me as an old friend, and that I may make friends of those I do not know yet. I am no Princess," she glanced back to Winry fondly, "I do not require doting and tending to hand and foot. I am most able and well kept. Please do not allow our presence to interrupt your daily routine. In fact I invite you all to supp with us tonight. I should like to hear about everything that has come to pass since my last visit."

Those words beget a murmuring among the estate folk and spurred a flurry of excitement among the wary confusion of the new and different. Aloref Gantri's dour expression grew darker, but as always the man said not a single word.

"We'll be touring the estate for the day," Elsi declared as she held out a hand to Ollie to invite him to take their leave, "I look forward to our evening feast."

• Aww
Ollie looked up as his name was said, slowly pulling away from the hound to stand up. He bowed his head respectfully, though did not interrupt Elspeth as she spoke.

Instead he watched her with rapt attention, smiling as she wove the small speech and pulled the crowd to her side. With every word that passed her lips Ollie couldn't help but fall just the slightest bit more, his choice, truly his choice of whom he was to be betrothed to solidified all the more.

His heart sang as she finished, holding out a hand to him.

He smiled, and quickly scooped up her palm. "That was delightful. I'm sure your generosity will speak to them."

Olvir knew, just as Elspeth did, that there was much their Houses had to make up for. Neither of their family names were those oft sung praises about. A few held them in high esteem, but to most of Vel Anir they were the Merchantmen, and the Enforcers.

Though, he was sure she would change that in no time.

• Cthuulove
Elsi had her doubts of attendance at bay as the help awkwardly dispersed as bid. It went against their very nature - being so unstructured and unattentive of their Lady, but she wanted for them to feel as though this place truly was their home and not simply that they were here as caretakers. She looked to Ollie, feeling flush from the excitement of the moment and the rush of her heart at her public proclamation of her hopes. They had yet to even enter the manor and already she was tired!

Perhaps breaking from the eyes, ears, and curiousity of the servants would give her time to catch her breath.

"Yes," she nodded, "I truly hope it does." Elsi would not ever admit that such things had been rather lacking under her father's rule here, but it was nearly such an open confession when listening to the unspoken.

"Where would you like to start?" time to change the subject and move her feet. She gave his hand a squeeze and a tug to make way for the massive double oak doors, "The east wing holds the library and observatory that overlooks the sea, the west wing holds the armory and gallery. There's the ballroom and dining hall here in the main keep..."

• Gasp
Ollie thought for only a moment before coming to a decision. "The library, I think."

In his lifetime he had seen a dozen ballrooms, hundreds of dining halls and Keeps. Even Armories were a dime a dozen. Usually they were all the same. Accented or gilded with some ostentatious decoration that changed depending on the family.

A library thought?

Each and everyone was different in it's composition. In his experience no two were exactly the same, and it was those differences which were interesting. What books someone kept said a lot about them, though he supposed this was not Elspeth's library.

Not yet.

Still, he was curious to see it, and there would be time for everything else later.

• Cthuulove
One of her favorite places to spend time no matter what home they were at. Another nod and Elspeth lead the way in through the massive entrance doors, smile warming to the butler and letting her gaze cast about the grand entrance foyer where the memories of this home ran freely through her mind. She did not even have to think about how to get anywhere despite the many years it had been since her last visit. Her worries of such things were quickly dashed as her feet instinctively lead them between the two curved grand staircases and back to the left hall whose end brought them to the library doors.

They were closed and, strangely, locked, but Elspeth did not have to wonder long before the sound of clipped heels and the ringing of keys echoed in behind them.

"Mistress!" an older woman dressed in the black, red, and gold of House Sirl strode hurridly their way, "Forgive me please, I was quite absorbed in taking stock of our food stores when you arrived. We did not know you were coming, this is most irregular."

"Misses Probst," Elsi turned to her, her smile faltering somewhat at the Housekeeper's dour expression. One of her father's favorites and, she surmised, rather unhappy with having been left here instead of invited to join the family at the main Sirl estate in the capital, "my apologies - I had not intended to-"

"You will not apologize to me, Lady Sirl," said Probst tersely as she unclipped her key ring and quickly filed through to the right one, "your schedule is your own and so is your estate."

Elsi could hardly correct her title. She was not Lady Sirl yet, but the library doors were swinging open before she could say anything and the Housekeeper stood back to gesture them inside.

"Most of the manor has been locked up for safe keeping, my Lady," informed Probst as she quickly made way to the various windows of the room and pulled back the curtains to let in the sunlight, "I will make the rounds so your way is not barred."

"Thank you Misses Probst," Elsi attempted a smile but found she could not warm the older woman's stoic veneer, "this is Lord Olvir Weiroon, he will be staying as my guest here."

"Excellent, I will ensure our finest guest suite is made ready for Master Weiroon. The Maids will be notified to be ready for your bell."

Elsi nodded and watched the woman stride off with so much purpose it nearly stung. She sighed, then turned to look into the library, "I suppose perhaps it would have been better to write ahead. Duly noted indeed."

The library was still, quiet, and rather looked as though it had been picked through by looters. The truth of the matter was that everything left behind belonged to her mother or held no meaning or value to her father. Whatever he'd meant to keep, he'd taken with him back to their estate in the capital.

Olvir stayed quiet through most of the small exchange between Elspeth and her Servant. Offering only a small greeting and smile when he was introduced. An attempt was, of course, made at a thank you, but the woman moved so swiftly that she was half-way down the hall before Ollie could even get the thought through his head.

He watched her with bemusement. "I get the sense that even if you had written her, she might still have found herself frazzled."

The young noble commented idly with a smile, meaning that Misses Probst seemed the type to always be fretting about one thing or another. Ollie knew the type, for there was a Mistress of his families own estate who was much the same.

A doting perfectionist who would accept no less than perfect.

He smiled a moment more, and then followed Elspeth into the library. Expression falling slightly as he saw the state of the half-bare shelves. His eyes darted to his beloved, checking to see hers. Had she expected this? Known it was the state of things?

Ollie suspected not, and his eyes almost immediately darted to the shelves. He searched briefly, and then spoke.

"Oh!" He said, immediately breaking away from Elspeth's side as he moved towards one of the more filled shelves. "I haven't seen these in years."

The Noble exclaimed as he gestured to a series of six books. All of them bound in hard cover, each individually labeled in turn by the name of the series; 'The Great Creations of Aniria'. A collection of books which had been written about the side of Vel Anir most would never know; it's art, it's poetry, it's culture beyond war and battle.

• Aww
He'd find her not surprised but a shadow did cast upon her expression as she took in the many empty shelves. A smile returned quickly enough after him and what he'd found, "Yes, my mother was quite a debutante in her youth. She quite enjoyed the finer points of life in the city and was most studied on theater and the arts."

Elsi looked fondly upon the books but did not reach out herself to touch them, "Most of what remains here belonged to her. After her death my father could not bear to continue using this home that had once belonged to her. He left everything here. Perhaps he hoped the pain of her absence would stay as well without the reminder..."

Her smile was trying now and it was an effort to maintain.

"I miss her."

• Cry
Ollie slowly turned, hearing the sorrow that had filled Elspeth's voice.

His eyes fell upon his beloved, saw the slow curve of her lips turn. An ache filled his heart. Neither of his parents had been particularly...kind growing up, but a piece of him loved them still. He could not imagine how he would feel if they passed.

Nor could he even begin to fathom how Elspeth must have felt about her mother. He couldn't stop himself form touching her.

His hands softly reached out and grasped hers. Fingers gently curling into her palms. A single step taking him close enough that she could hear his whisper. "I wish I could have met her."

Ollie said truthfully.

"Maybe while we're here we could do something." He offered. "For her, I mean."

• Cthuulove
She had many years of practice in schooling her face as a Lady, but the slightest of ticks and quirks in her expression alluded to the turmoil of mixed emotions.

"She was ... not a particularly pleasant woman if I am quite honest," words that were difficult to capture for herself, "you can imagine what kind of woman would endear the heart of my father. I may have been very young to have known her, but I remember her being wickedly intelligent. She loved to read," Elsi's figure bent just slightly toward the warmth of Olvir, maintaining decorum for the eyes that were most certainly watching but seeking out the comfort he had to offer all the same with a glance to their hands.

"She would read to me every night from plays and novels. My youth before finishing school was spent under her tutelage. I enjoyed her attention, but..." her brow knit together, "she never smiled and to this day I can not recall a single time she spoke of love for myself or Elias."

A notion that was difficult for her to grasp. How could she not have loved them?

"But she loved our father deeply, that much I know. And he, her."

• Spoon Cry
He really had to learn not to rush to judgment. If he'd kept his mouth shut and just let her speak then he would have avoided stepping on his own foot. Inwardly he shook his head, but simply listened to Elspeth explain her own situation.

Never openly calling himself a fool for making the assumption he had. "I suppose that is something."

His fingers squeezed hers softly.

"It's rare." Olvir's words were chosen carefully. "That people chosen to be betrothed in Vel Anir Lo-...care...a lot...for one another."

Teeth nearly severed his tongue before he corrected his mistake. His fingers tightening for just a brief seconds as his eyes widened he resisted the urge to cough.

Straightening his shoulders, and shaking just looking down at her. Happy that he could stand even this close to her.

• Cthuulove
That earned him an appreciative look as Elsi for once let herself openly study the lines of his face. It was rare, being so close to him, that she could see the various flecks of colors in his eyes so clearly. He was truly handsome, but this she had always known.

"I remember watching them when I was very little, and seeing them on the dance floor at a party."

Elsi carefully threaded her fingers back through Ollie's into a much more intimate hold than the socially accepted closed-finger clasp, "It was like..." she locked eyes with him, "no one else in the world existed to them."

How she had taken their locked stares as the epitome of the love she hoped to one day have.

"Hem-hem," from the doorway so suddenly that Elsi startled, he nose skating across Olvir's jaw as she turned to look.

"Oh, Winry-" Elsi straightened her posture so she did not lean so noticeably toward Ollie and gently withdrew her hand from his, cheeks faintly flushed.

Winry schooled her smile, "Your belongings are all set in your room M'Lady, and yours in your room as well Master Olvir."

• Blank
For a brief moment, she was Ollie's world. There was nothing and no one else to him. Not the library, not the fallen over stacks of books, not even the sudden hem-hem that sounded out in the echoey room drew Ollie back to reality.

It was only when Elspeth suddenly straightened and pulled ever so gently away that only was able to once again fathom the real world.

A breath pulled into his lungs, and he shook his head. Letting out a nervous chuckle as he stifled the myriad of curses which ran through his head. His eyes nearly falling shut as he almost fell to his knees and cursed every god known to the high heavens and beyond.

His hands felt empty without hers.

"Ah." He said, clearing his throat. "Thank you."

Ollie chuckled, drawing his hand back nervously to scratch at the back of his head. "The uhh...maybe we could see the observatory?"

He asked.

• Smug
"The observatory?" Elsi echoed, mentally shooing the butterflies from her mind as she turned to blink up at him, "Yes, yes of course. My second favorite place."

A broader smile met him then as she withdrew to lead the way unhurried from the library and out to the staircase that lead upwards to the floor above. This room was quite open and still housed her father's magnification lense inside. An uncommon instrument indeed - accessible only to the abhorrently wealthy it was typically only found in the ownership of royals.

The crafted brass piece sat under the hood of a glass dome woven into the shapes of interconnecting diamonds through forged metal. It offered an otherwise unimpeded view of the sky in all directions and a beautiful veranda beyond overlooking the sea and shore below. Winry followed them quietly and at distance, taking the opportunity of her duty to also glean some knowledge from the tour.

"This belonged to my Great Great Grandfather Riori Sirl who commissioned a dwarven master smith and elvish star keeper to craft it for him."

Elsi's voice echoed in the open expanse of the room, "It allowed him to look into the heavens and track the stars. He was absolutely fascinated by them ... obsessed, even, from what I can tell by his notebooks and sketches. He did not go a single night without looking up into the sky to chart the stars. He was looking for something... and someone," she made a face of thought, "strange to look there for a person, don't you think?"

• Aww
Olvir tried to still his heart for a brief few seconds as Elspeth stepped away from him. His eyes closing for a brief moment as he took in a deep breath. Fingers reaching to grasp the hilt of his sword in a motion that had become almost ritualistically calming.

After just a few passing beats, he finally pulled himself from his rooted spot. Shooting Winry a quick smile he slipped out the door and quickly caught up alongside his betrothed. The two of them meandered down the hall, eventually coming to their destination.

There Olvir marveled at the great telescope.

Standing close to the device and inspecting the different setting of the lenses. "It's wonderful."

He answered Elspeth as she finished speaking, the smile on his face spreading wide as he glanced over at her.

"I mean." He slowly pulled himself away from the Telescope. "The idea that someone could be out there in the stars? Some god perhaps, or a Sorcerer that learned to step across the moons."

Olvir chuckled. "It's a wondrous thought."

He didn't know any other word to describe it.

• Bless
"Yes," Elsi watched him admire the piece, then turned her gaze upward to the bright sky above, "isn't it?"

"Father never let me near it as a child,"
she recalled with a bit of amusement, "I suppose I cannot blame him. Such a thing was not meant for the hands of the youth." Elspeth could not imagine how valuable it was - if it could even have a true value - and how easily it might get damaged in the wrong or clumsy hands.

"Perhaps once we have a clear night, we might take a look ourselves," the very idea of viewing the stars from more than just standing beneath them? How many people could claim to have done so in their lifetime?

• Gasp
He smiled wide. "That would be quite something."

More and more they were finding things to look at here in the Sirl Estate, but truth be told Olvir was still only interested in one. He stared at her for a moment, before letting his eyes become unglued and flicker back towards the telescope.

"Surely the sea winds will drive the clouds away." Ollie jested. "Or bring one of those storms the area is famous for..."

Either or..."I suppose if it's the latter, we can simply watch the rains."

Ollie suggested, taking a step towards her but obviously...not towards Elspeth, no, the desk there just to her left had an interesting book on it. That was it.

"The storms here are quite spectacular," Elspeth agreed, "I remember the lightening across the open sea and the boom of thunder rolling in through the cove. The waves...how they crashed against the strong stone walls of the estate. The winds and how they roared and whistled through the alcoves. Then the next day, searching the beach for washed up treasure and shells."

She was remembering it all as she looked out through the glass walls to the shoreline below.

When she looked back, Ollie was just near her, inspecting a book on the desk. There were interesting books to be found all over here, it seemed.

"This place is filled with so many memories," she remarked aloud, slowly turning about and envisioning the many nights she'd spent up here while her father observed the stars and made notes in his journal. He'd not been obsessed with finding people in the heavens so much as ... well, she believed he'd merely wanted for distraction from her mother's poor health. But, as she looked at Ollie, she couldn't help but think of something more.

"I cannot wait to make more here with you," Elsi quietly confessed, her stare soft with fondness. She held out her hand to him, head canting to one side, "shall we continue?"

• Ctuhlu senpai
Olvir smiled as he listened to the small description Elspeth gave of the storms.

He took a short few steps to stand besides her, following her eyes towards the glass walls and towards the foamy waves below. His own family had no coastal Estates, not because they could not afford them, but simply because it had never been with the Weiroon's style. His line tended to favor plantations in the country, sprawling estates with dozens of buildings that one needed horses just to traverse between.

Standing there, listening to Elspeth speak, he couldn't help but picture the two of them spending a night together during a storm like that. He smiled for a moment, the weight of his family forgotten, the idea of those scattered homes gone.

All replaced with a cozy evening at home with his wife.

The smile lingered until Elspeth offered her confession. His eyes blinking suddenly as the words seemed to echo in his ears.

"...here with you."

He heard her say, not catching the rest as he found himself lost within his fantasies. Olvir almost immediately glanced to his beloved, flashing a wide grin and wondering if she had been thinking the exact same thing as he. Without a second of hesitation he reached out, taking her hand in his. "Yes."

Ollie said, not sure if he was acquiescing to the tour, or the rest of his life.

"Yes, we shall." He said, confident in either choice.

The evening passed by so quickly after that. The tour continued throughout the manor estate main halls, then eventually came to an end when dinner was served. After some back and forth with Housekeeper Probst on the properness of a high Lord and Lady dining with the help was settled, Elspeth eagerly welcomed the entire staff into the large dining hall and they all ate buffet-style, sharing stories and good tidings.

Please to be seated next to Olvir and introducing him to what she hoped would be his future house help, Elspeth left his side only to attend to some fuss about Old John helping himself to roasted chicken on the serving table. Shull’s face had never been so red in embarrassment that she could recall.

Later, once everyone had dispersed to their homes and cleaning duties, Olvir was shown to his room and Elspeth wished him quietly goodnight.

But only a few hours would pass before he was disturbed from his rest by a tap-tap-tapping on the balcony doors of his suite.

• Bless