Completed What Did You Think Was Going to Happen?

Raphael Thrice

Rich-Boy Renegade
Character Biography
Link
"Listen, I really didn't think you'd be awake. After all it's like, what, noon? Wouldn't the sunlight seep through the cracks in your walls or so- OH GOD!"

The vampire countess was clearly not listening to Raphael as she lunged to take his throat out with her claw. It was only swift thinking that allowed him to use his magic to blink away from her, though it sent him half footed onto her enormous staircase. Which he promptly fell down.

While Raphael fell, he had a brief moment to think. First about how he was going to definitely die. She was absolutely, one hundred and ten percent going to kill him. And, if she didn't, then the woman he'd brought with him into this house and left in another room because he, "had a super good idea to distract this bitch," definitely would. Oliviana had to be fucking pissed. Wherever she was.

He then thought about this house. How it shifted and moved like a living maze. That exiting a room in this place could mean entering it again. It was so confusing and whatever magic she'd put on the place had definitely disoriented Raphael.

And finally, he hit the bottom of the stairs with a groan. Trying to push himself up he yelled,

"Oliviana where are you?!"

To say Oliviana was fucking pissed was an extreme understatement. She was livid. No...livid didn't seem strong enough.

Murderous.

Yes...she was murderous. As in she was going to murder Raphael when she found him again.

She should've murdered him already but this damn house kept moving. It was giving her a headache and pissing her off...simultaneously.

"Oliviana where are you?!"

"The fuck if I know!" She yelled back at her soon-to-be-dead companion. "I see she hasn't killed you yet. That is good because I want the pleasure!" She yelled again as she ran into a wall for the sixth time.

It was dark wherever she was and she had been trying to find a door. She, instead, kept running into walls and cursing the day Raphael was born.

Raphael never thought himself to be like, that good with women, but certainly not bad enough that two would try to murder him in one day. He could barely hear Oliviana’s voice through who knows how many walls. Raphael stood up only to hear the hiss of the vampire from behind up as she flew towards him down the staircase.

“Fuck, don’t you ever get tired?!”

He ran forward and jumped towards a window leading to another room. Once through, he blinked again and slammed into the opposite wall. With an oof he grimaced and saw the vampire still coming for him. But before she could cross the threshold, it seemed the house was moving again. Maybe if she activated the magic, she couldn’t control it well? Hard to say.

He braced for impact and yelled,

“Wherever you are, Oliviana, I pray you forgive me! Also, hold onto something!”

Unfortunately for Oliviana, she had not found anything to hold onto in this damn room so she stumbled back into one of the walls when everything started to shift again. The wall dropped out from under her and she landed on something else hard.

Oof, she grunted as she felt around her. She was on top of someone. The fact that she wasn't dead already meant that she was not laying on the vampire.

"Raphael, is that you?"

She asked as she shifted to sit on the floor.

The wall he’d slumped against spun around and led to a library. Shifting bookcase? Pretty cliche vampire lady. What wasn’t cliche was when a full body fell on top of him. Oh gods, did she keep bodies laying around? He thought that until he heard the familiar voice.

As Oliviana slid off of him he rolled over on his back to look at her with an apologetic smile on his face.

“I appreciate the enthusiasm, Oliviana, but we hardly have the time.”

His smile turned humorous and arrogant. She was already going to kill him, right?

Oliviana punched him right in the stomach before standing up with a scowl on her face.

"You are disgusting!"

She started to look around the library with the scowl still on her face. He was disgusting and she hated him but she was very glad to be back together again. Two against one (a very strong one) were better odds than the two of them being separated.

"If we get out of her alive, I will show you real enthusiasm," she said with a wink. She couldn't stay mad at him.

Raphael did not see the punch coming, despite having looked at her the entire time as it occurred. The blow hurt, a lot. That was because Oliviana was strong! A lot stronger than he was for sure.

But the promise of something fun later on made him give a thumbs up as he wheezed from the pain.

The hiss of the vampire countess could be heard through the walls. Oh right, they were still doing with this. Raphael stood up slowly, still in agony, and looked around at the apparent library they were in.

“H-hey goood n-news. I don’t think she can control-l the house magic very well.”

“Small mercies,” Oliviana grumped.

She really hated this bullshit.

A lot.

“Do we wait for the room to change again or do you think your lightning can trigger something? Anything at this point really."

Raphael had just gotten his breath back before the walls could be heard altering again. It wasn’t this room this time around but the grinding of panels and tossing of rubble could be heard easily. This was a pretty obvious portent of the countess figuring out where they were.

As for his lightning, there was some bad news there

”Thing is that Ive used a shit ton of it since we’ve been in here. That blow to my gut didn’t help much either. Well deserved!” He corrected himself before he got hit again, “But a problem for me. My blinking requires a certain amount of energy, and I’ve never done it with someone in tow. If I blinked while touching or holding you, there is really no telling what could happen.“

"We are going to die and I will haunt you forever," Oliviana lamented.

She started to pull books off the bookshelves in the library with some hope that there was a secret passage. It did not even occur to her that if there was a secret passage, it would work in the vampires favor.

She pulled one rather large book and heard a click.

"Raphael," she called and held out her hand for him to grab. If they were about to go somewhere else then they would go together.

The bookshelf disappeared and she was pulled forward into the dark against her will.

Well, he supposed if that was his luck that there existed far worse poltergeists to look at then Oliviana. Always chipper, this one. Find that silver lining!

His name was called, and he went to take her hand without looking but felt nothing when he reached for it. When he whipped around to check on Oliviana, she was being yanked into the darkness behind a bookshelf she'd seemingly swung open.

Raphael moved quickly as the passage threatened to close before he could reach it, and with a jump and a grunt he barely squeezed through the withdrawing passageway.

It was dark, so unfathomably dark in here. And he could not hear Oliviana.

He crackled some of his lightning around his arm for a brief moment of light but saw nothing.

"Oliviana? Where are you?"

Raphael was not able to grab her hand before she was gone.

Son of a bitch, she cursed as she slammed into something hard. She assumed it was a wall but it was so black that she couldn't see a damn thing.

Oliviana saw the light from the lightning before she heard Raphael ask where she was. They had been separated but at least they were in the same place. That was better than the alternative.

"Over here," she called out to him.

It took her a few moments to get to her feet. Her body hurt from all the falling and now her head hurt on top of it. Goodie, she thought with a frown.

Stupid vampire manor!

The Hand started to move towards where she had seen the light. It was not very long before she walked into something hard and smiled.

"There you are," she said with her hands on Raphael's chest...

She hoped that's where they were...at least...

He felt her hands touch his chest as she stumbled towards him. He wrapped a hand around her waist without thinking about it and turned around to listen to the surroundings.

"Here, I can conjure a brief amount of light at a time. We'll just have to take it slow and move forward a couple steps at a time."

Raphael kept his hand just above her hip and rose his other arm to spark a shot of lightning. When he did, there were two faces in front of him. The first was Oliviana's, in closer proximity than expected. The second was fanged and angry and looking him dead in the eyes.

"FUCK!" He shouted as the vampire grabbed him by the shirt and threw him across the room, taking the light away from Oliviana and leaving her alone with the vampire.

He slid across the floor and took minor damage, but it seemed Oliviana was her target for now.

"RUN, OLIVIANA!"

Liv told herself that the chill that ran up her spine at his touch was due to the creepy darkness and their situation. It was definitely that and not him.

Her thoughts were short lived as Raphael was ripped away from her and the light winked out. Her shouted fuck followed shortly after his as she turned to try to find him.

Oliviana had not seen the vampire.

"RUN, OLIVIANA!"

Run? Where? It was pitch black!

She listened though. She took off in the other direction with her hands out in front of her. She could only hope that her hands would hit the wall before she did.

As she ran her heart was beating louder than she had ever felt it beat before.

Gods he couldn’t see a fucking thing in here. He’d just secured her and now that blasted vampire was causing more issues. If they only ran, she would catch them though. If the vampire wanted Oliviana, it was going to have a hell of a time doing so.

He‘d make god damn sure of that.

Raphael knelt down and clasped his hands together. The theory was if he could make two small one, a large one would just require more energy concentrated in one place. If he was able to place that level of magic into a single spot, then it should work.

One crackle. Then flying sparks from his his shoulders. He took in a deep breath, and exhaled. Lightning snapped around the air from his breath, and the magic began to congregate to the center of his arms. The lightning leapt at the other instances of lightning, forming a giant ballista made of electrical magic.

One bolt struck the earth in front of him as a balancing act for the weapon.

The Arcanist’s Boomstick
The ballista locked its bolt of lightning into place with an audible kzzzshhh. He shone like a blue lighthouse in the corner of the dark room. The glow didn‘t reach Oliviana or the vampire but he could at least hear Oliviana’s footsteps. He line up his shot with his newfound elemental cannon and fired.

The bolt struck across the room with the might of heaven. It did not connect with anyone, but it flew straight in front of the pursuing vampire. The countess stopped chasing Oliviana to look in surprise at Raphael before the light died out again.

“That’s right, bitch. Look over here!”

The electromancer charged more energy into the makeshift ballista, effectively loading another lightning bolt. He wouldn‘t let Oliviana pay for his mistakes.

77/100 Stamina before exhaustion​

Oliviana was sure she was going to die. She knew the vampire would have her soon and she would become a very tasty dinner.

She had not run into a wall yet but she did trip. Of course she tripped. The one time she needed to stay on her feet and she went down quicker than Raphael while he was drinking. She felt the presence of the vampire even without seeing her and braced herself for the attack.

It didn't come though.

There was a large (bright) flash of light and Liv saw the vampires face for a moment before the red eyes turned back to look at her attacker...her original target...Raphael.

Liv scrambled to her feet and ran towards Raphael and the vampire.

Yes, it was stupid. Extra stupid since she did not have any magic, wood, or a sword. She had a dagger and that would not do much good at all.

Again with the increasing darkness. It was such a headache to try and line up a shot when you couldn’t see the fucking target. He just needed the one though. One single blast from this thing may not kill it but he was channeling enough energy to knock an elephant on its back. She would definitely feel this

Raphael wouldn’t hit Oliviana again. She was getting closer based on the brief burst of light he’d sent that had revealed her presence. No, he knew where the vampire was roughly. His guess would have to be good enough.

He swung the self made lightning turret towards a spot in the pitch black and let fly another huge bolt.

Bullseye.

The bolt connected with the vampire‘s chest and she flew backwards into the darkness from the impact.

”HA HA! EAT SHIT!”

He was far too proud of that shot and wasn’t afraid to admit it; loudly. But the two he’d launched were sapping his strength. Once Oliviana was there, they needed an escape plan.

34/100 stamina until exhaustion.

Oliviana would have laughed at Raphael's words but she was very much in a fight or flight mode at the moment. She had briefly caught sight of Raphael when he had blasted the lightning bolt into the vampire so she ran in that direction.

She could only hope she was on the right path.

She was. She collided with her partner slash future murder victim once more and struggled to keep her legs beneath her.

"Do you have a plan? Because mine consists of run!" She said as she righted herself.

Oliviana was right, of course. Getting out of here was the first and foremost important thing to do. Even a dolt like him could figure that part out. The issue was, where did they go? They couldn't see, the walls moved; there was virtually no way of telling how to get out.

Killing the vampire might dispel the house, it just wasn't realistic. It would take way more firepower to bring this thing down.

"Um, wait. I do think I have a plan."

The sounds of the vampire recovering were returning. His strength was waning. This would be the last bolt he could justify before he fell flat on his face.

He realized that there was no possible way to find an exit. She would keep changing the manor until she got a lucky hit in and ate both of them. So, if they weren't going to able to get to an exit:

He needed to make one.

Raphael swung the turret around, aiming for the wall he'd posted next to. The ballista made of lightning glowed with furious energy briefly before exploding another bolt towards the wall, and with a loud shatter, there was now light leaking into the room.

"GO!"

16/100 before exhaustion.

"Um, wait. I do think I have a plan."

If anyone else had said it, she may have had some hope. For some reason with Raphael she had nothing but doubt. He hadn't gotten her killed though...yet.

The lightning hit the wall causing an explosion that made her jump. Yes, she had watched it happen but it had been loud and there was some debris that had launched towards her. She looked at the light streaming in and then at Raphael.

"GO!"

She could tell he was tired and she wanted to help him.

"What can I do to help you, Raphael?"

Her voice was laced with panic as she spoke quickly. She needed to get both of them out of her safely.

Raphael let the energy disperse from his hands. His breath was heavy as he moved towards the exit he had created and pointed through it.

“We just have to move before she flips the house again. If she catches up to us, hit her with everything you’ve got. Sadly, I’m spent. I might have one more spell in me before I pass out.”

The angry roar of the vampire came from behind them as she was finally getting back up from being blasted with the holy grail of lightning magic. At least it was for Raphael.

He looked sad. Disappointed in himself. He kept his pace, tugging her along with him.

”I’m sorry I got you into this. I’ll get us out, promise.”

Liv didn’t have anything but her blades. She had no magic. She was useless against anyone more powerful than her. Hand to hand and stealth was what she excelled at. Beating a vampire was not on that list.

The sunlight felt warm against her face as they moved through Raphael’s makeshift door. Her hand was in his as they moved. She wasn’t going to let him die…she wasn’t going to let either of them die here.

“Just don’t pass out on me, please,” she said with a squeeze of her hand.

He let out a small chuckle at her half hearted concern. Oliviana always seemed to have a twinge of love on her words. Be it that she actually cared or not was beyond him. It just hovered on her sentences. Like she wanted to use more of it, but didn’t know how.

But the request to not pass out on her behalf was the single most Oliviana thing she could have asked him, and he found it entertaining. Even if they were just barely out of a hell scape. He should like, buy her dinner or some shit. For having to put up with his horrid decision making today.

Raphael sighed in relief when he felt the sunshine. He’d gotten so so so lucky with his bolt placement on that last shot. And with just enough energy to flee the premises at a relatively normal pace. They were gonna get out and it sent so many emotions through his head. All of them good.

“Hey, Liv?” Life was too short for this cat and mouse shit. ”Maybe once we’re like, actually out of here, maybe we could go something fun. Just break the routine of danger for a b-“

It was a nice thought. A pleasantry that might remind them of the first day they’d met. The kind of thing you consider after a near death experience. The realization you haven’t been living as hard as you could have been.

He was going to ask her to go on a date. A real one. Shoot his shot, you know?

Raphael had not thought for one moment that the Countess of the manor would be so blindingly enraged that she’d reach her own undead hand into the sunlight to grab him by his hair.

Her flesh singed and sparkled with flame as she dragged the mage back into the darkness with the full force of her hatred. Raphael was dragged screaming into the manor once more, leaving Oliviana to stand by herself.

There was only vacancy were Raphael once stood. And the house began to shift once more.

Liv held onto Raphael as though his life depended on it and it may have at this point. He looked exhausted and he was slowing down quite a bit. They both relaxed as they realized they were finally safe. The vampire could not come out in the sun and they were in the sun.

Her own sigh of relief was cut short when Raphael called her Liv. She tensed up and her initial reaction was to bark at him to not call her that but she held her tongue. She was not actually upset with him calling her by her nickname and that confused her more than anything. Sure, they had spent time together but they were not friends.

Were they?

"Maybe once we’re like, actually out of here, maybe we could go something fun. Just break the routine of danger for a b-"

She stared at him trying to digest his words. Go do something fun? Was he...no...he wouldn't...

Liv did not get to hear the rest of his words as she opened her mouth to yell at Raphael. She was too slow though. She was too slow and he was gone in an instant.

His screams echoed through the house as she ran back towards the giant hole in the wall. She had barely made it inside when the manor started to shift.

"Fuck!" She cried out. She had to find Raphael! She had to find him now!

Raphael’s screaming eventually died, replaced with heavy breaths. The walls were moving passed him so fast as the Countess dragged him through her maze like house. Coupled with the shifting of the manor, Raphael began to grow dizzy from the speed. He could not find a moment’s respite to think about what to do as his attention was placed solely on the building that now looked more like a Rorschach test.

There was no telling where they were or where they were going. The manor seemed immensely bigger inside than it did out. He and Oliviana had never discovered even ten percent of the lay out. He’d gotten so lucky with his last escape. That luck was spent.

Eventually, they reached a room that he could not see the interior of from the mounting darkness. This vampire sure did like it’s shadows. She threw him by the hair against the far wall of the building, the impact threatening his consciousness to fade.

He could see nothing and only heard a door slam from where’d been thrown.

“Now.” The vampire’s voice came. Regal sounding and filled with vitriol. ”Who are you, who sent you?”