Private Tales Those Fallen

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
He paused for a moment, glancing down at Ana with a frown. Saul tried to speak, but he found the words dying in his throat. He was sure there was something poignant he could have said, something that would have made everyone feel better about the situation, but he couldn't.

After a moment he nodded at her, knowing that she was right. Killing him would not only have been wrong, it would have made him a martyr.

Fingers tightened, and slowly he spoke. "We need to drag him to the balcony."

His voice was quiet.

"Show them we have him, then get ready for the others to return." A breath shook him once more, his nerves still fraying. "That will end this. All of it."

Then a new set of troubles would begin.

• Yay
Reactions: Anastasia
She wordlessly nodded, though in her head she was not concerned over that. She reached out for his other arm, holding both, trying to ground him.

She searched for words too.

Sorry I left you? Sorry I doubted. Challenged you. Lost sight of our cause and left you to question yourself over it.

She pulled forward and wrapped him in a hug instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Yay
Reactions: Saul Talith
Saul was still holding his sword with his right hand, clutching the blade tightly as Ana wrapped her arms around him. His left hand floated up her back, clutching her tightly for just one moment before he took another stabilizing breath.

"Okay." He said quietly.

The shake that had seemed to wrack him slowly disappear, the grip on his sword came loose, and finally he simply nodded his head once more.

"We need to get him to the balcony." The Templar Commander repeated, this time his voice louder, more steady. "It will stop the fighting."

More importantly, stop other Templar from killing each other.

• Yay
She held him for a breath more before pulling back, strands of hair catching on his armor and pulling out of their ties to hand by her face. She nodded, pushing them back.

"...Our people are not unreasonable," she added, trying to reassure them both. "Beyond his core, the others will see reason. Will see the law. This will end in your favor." She gave him a weak smile, then turned back to the orders as they emerged with Athwaithsdhjfkhg in hand.

"To the balcony," she urged quickly. "They can't have been long behind on their return. Let them see their corrupted leader be dealt with by the law before they chose their next actions."

• Yay
Saul slipped his sword back into it's sheath, intent on not using it any more.

Without another word Saul stepped forward, the red cloak around his shoulders billowing as he lead the others into a small procession through the empty hallway. Their steps echoed, Arrawaith's small whimpers sounding out behind them as they made their way through the manor.

Distantly he could make out fighting, the sound of swords ringing against one another, the cries of battle calling out to all those around them.

Then they reached the double doors to the balcony. Saul didn't slow his stride, grabbing both handles of the door and pushing them open with jarring force. They slammed against the outside, casting sunlight into the hall just as Edwin and Leane dragged Arrawaith onto the balcony. "STOP!"

Saul's voice boomed within the courtyard of the Compound.

• Yay
Ana fell out behind out behind Saul, blood leaving her face as she caught sight of the fighting. The fighting. They were suppose to avoid the fighting.

She drifted steps forward, placing each and every face she saw. Her family.

And every face stared back at them, Saul's voice ringing out strongly through the courtyard. The world tunneled out on her. She didn't hear Edwin's next words, or the public rumbling response to them. She just saw her people, covered in roped of sweat, red coating blades. And his face pulled to mind. Long dead. Unmentionable. But the root of all this fear.

She stumbled back and away, not carrying about the politics or soldering that would pursue. Instead going for medical supplies. Because that was where she would apply herself here. She would keep them all alive and kill what stood in the way of that.

Which was Arriwaith. Who she abruptly regretted saving.

• Yay
"Enough is enough!" He called out as Edwin dragged Arrawaith to the banister of the balcony, Saul vaguely aware of Ana suddenly falling away. "It's over."

Those below looked up, glancing at the booming voice, and then spotting Arrawaith half being held up by Edwin. The man's face was bleeding, broken, his hands were shackled and his tunic was stained with crimson red. Those below stared, then one by one their blades fell.

There was a clatter of steel hitting stone, the small garrison that remained surrendering to the forces Saul had brought with him. "Any man who begs forgiveness, any Templar who joins his brother will be forgiven."

Saul's voice remained steady, calm.

This had to be about reunification, this had to be about coming together.

"Go." He ordered those surrendered Templar, pointing towards the gates. "Tell the others."

• Yay
It took a few deep breaths from beyond the balcony to steady herself, her fists clenched to keep herself composed.

This wasn't right. They weren't each other's enemies, they shouldn't be hacking at each other!

She shoved off the wall and stalked to the infirmary, a bag of gear gathered as she began to shove supplies in. Until the sudden coldness of steal pressed into her neck, stilling her.

The old Templar, fierce even in covered in wrinkles, slowly stepped around her. "What are you doing with my work."

Ana swallowed hard, chin raised to the blade as she met the woman's foggy blue gaze. "...There's injuries out there. We have to help."

"Help your enemies?" The old woman tested.

Ana's jaw set. "My brethren," she said forcibly.

The woman studied her for a moment before lowering her knife and nodding towards a cabinet. "Fresh slauve is in there, fetch it, will you?"

Ana slowly relaxed, nodding in understanding. Together they packed, and together they returned to assist those that found themselves injured. Regardless of their fealty.

• Yay
Those that were not injured, those that had originally sided with Arrawaith either followed Saul's commands or simply sat themselves down.

They had enough of the fighting.

A few of them trickled out of the fortress, doing as their Commander had told them to. They would intercept the forces that Arrawaith had sent to take the ship, and hopefully they would talk sense to their brethren. It was a hope, a small hope, but perhaps there would be no more fighting today.

"Leane." Saul said quietly. "Make sure those still ready man the walls, gather some bows and everything we need to defend ourselves."

He gritted his teeth. "Just in case."

There was no telling what the others would do, but they had the Compound now, they had the numbers, and most important they had Arrawaith himself.

"Everyone else help Ana." They nodded, quickly dispersing and following his orders, leaving just Saul and Arrawaith on the Balcony.

• Yay
"You're a fool, with a fool's vision," Arriwaith spat once they were alone. Blood trickled down his broken face, speckling with saliva as he spoke.

"You'll get the whole faction killed chasing an impossible dream." He spoke down to him as he always had, petulant and demeaning even in the worst of times.

"The Templars won't reunite. And the others know this. They won't follow a naive child to their grave out there when there's work to be done here. You've screwed yourself," he laughed, uncaring about his position.

"You should have stayed in hiding."

• Yay
Saul didn't say anything, though he did consider drawing his sword and driving it through the mans neck.

Or perhaps throwing him from the balcony. "You should have waited."

The Templar Commander said quietly, watching the small crowd below. It was a smattering of his men and Arrawaith's now, all of them either working together to help the wounded or simply sitting to rest for a while. Those whom he'd sent as messengers could no longer be seen, though he knew they were making their way to the others.

Would they fight?

He doubted it. Many of them followed Arrawaith simply because of pay, not ideals.

"You could have killed me when I walked through the door." He glanced at the broken man. "You would have at least learned that other Templar have already agreed to follow me."

He saw the man's eyes tighten.

• Yay
In the end, Saul was right. Many, if not most of the opposing force returned. Blade down, hands up. They were Templar in the end, not street roughing mercenaries. Predictably enough, the ones that had close ties to Arriwiath, the ones that followed the man and not the pay or stolen leadership, did not return.

Dusk descend on the compound. But the city watch did not send any men to check on the chaos of within. Nor did Arriwiath's patrons send to save his neck.

The city of Alliria went on with it's life, not deigning to risk its neck over Templar wars. The new and proper leader would emerge ... hopefully sane, and without needing watch intervention. That would be a right hot mess.

Ana stood up as the last of the injured was helped out of the courtyard, the task, for now, down. Sweat beaded down her brow. Her stomach ached. But she felt good. Better.

In control of things.

• Yay
Saul had sent word to the third Commander, though the answer had been about what he'd expected. He would not return, though he would also not stop any of his men from coming back to Alliria either.

That added with the number of men loyal to Arrawaith that had entirely abandoned them...Broken Sword was now reduced to only two hundred and fifteen men, plus whomever returned from the company of the third Commander. Those numbers were abysmally low, and Saul stared at the paper with a deep frown. Edwin was watching him, knowing exactly what was going through his head.

"We need a change, Edwin." They both stood in the Lord Captains office.

After Arrawaith had been thrown into the dungeon Saul had ensured all the gilded furniture and gold articles were removed from the office. Everything was as it was supposed to be now, restored to the way that the old Lord Captain had always kept it. Simple, sleek.

The way Saul like it.

"We need actual recruits." His words were quiet. "We need more numbers."

The other man slowly nodded.

• Yay
Ana's soft knock came at the door, the woman entering without an okay. She lingered at the doorstep though, a bloody apron clutch in her hands.

"Sir," she said respectfully, Saul more than just... Saul, now. He was Lord Commander. Well, wasn't he?

She kept her eyes down, out of both respect and lingering shame for her earlier actions. As a family, she knew she owed them an explanation. Even though she had merely been doing her part as a Templar, they weren't suppose to leave each other hanging like that. But she did, and the time had given her a clearer head for it.

"Doc wanted you to know Ranal is not likely to pull through the night. Nara and Jun are already passed. Everyone else should heal nicely."

• Yay
A heavy sigh escaped him.

"Alright." Saul said quietly, his lips thinning for a few seconds as he considered what to do.

After a moment he realized the truth was there wasn't much he could do at all. He was in charge now, but he could not prevent death. As much as he hated the truth of that, as much power as he had...this was one thing he couldn't fight. His fingers tightened for a moment and he took a breath.

"Make them as comfortable as possible." Saul said quietly. "They'll be buried with honors."

No matter the side they fought on. They were all Templar, all part of the Order.

His Order.

• Yay
She nodded her fingers twisting in her apron as she bit back the next words.

"I... Also wanted to apologize. To both of you. I shouldn't have left without a word. I shouldn't have left you all wondering. I-"... Had a weak moment.

• Yay
For a second Edwin and Saul looked at one a other.

Both of the two Templar frowned, then Edwin shook his head. It was a silent message, one that did not need to be deciphered or decoded by his long time friend. They were all close, close enough that they could read the non-verbal cues that fell off of one another. Including just a simple look and a shake of the head.

"It's alright." Saul spoke quietly, though none of his usual confidence was spared. He had always meant what he said, even though he usually didn't manage to say it very well.

He always tried though.

"These times were...a trial." That was one way to describe them anyway. "We need to look past this all of this. Rebuild and become what we set out to be."

Edwin nodded. "All of us, together."

• Yay
She watched them both, her face unreadable. If this was a trial then she couldn't help but to feel she failed. The biggest test of endurance they had ever encountered, and she was slipping about. She didn't understand how they could push forward so strongly through this. Her emotions burned through her chest, gripped at her and yanked her about. Her sensitive nature was turning into a weakness, she was sure of it.

It made her so angry she wanted to cry. Which only made her angrier. The others didn't cry. Not unless the cause deserved it.

"It won't happen again," she whispered back. She needed to evolve. Become harder. A proper solider. The stress of it weighed heavily on her. She took a step back, then turned and left, dismissing herself without further word.

• Yay
Edwin and Saul looked at one another for a brief moment.

The two of them weren't exactly the best among them when it came to anything that had to do with emotional insight. Edwin himself wasn't particularly good with women...well the feelings part of women, when it...that didn't matter right now. Still, he stared at Saul and opened his mouth.

"I know." The Templar said with a wave of his hand.

He was the Lord Captain now.

A thousand new responsibilities weighed on his shoulders. He had to rebuild Broken Sword, he had to knit the Order back together, but...his first and foremost responsibility would always be to his friends. Especially to Ana.

Without another word to Edwin Saul followed after Ana.

• Yay
Ana stiffened as she heard the door open behind her, her footsteps picking up ever so slightly as she tried to keep them out paced. But the direction and speed told her it wasn't Edwin slipping off to preform an errand. It was someone catching up to speak to her. She took a deep breath, resisted the urge to run, and turned.

"What?" She asked, her expression hardening even further at the discovery that it was Saul. Her chest clenched and throbbed with emotions, but she did her best serious Leane impression and kept herself a blank slate. She didn't want to fight anymore. Leane never fought with anyone.

• Yay
Saul blinked, not expecting quite such a strong reaction from her.

He wasn't here to yell at her of course, not here to rebuff her or shun her. That wasn't something any of them would ever do. Not to each other and not to Templar in general. "I was just coming to see how you were doing."

The new Lord Captain said calmly.

His voice was calm, even. Since they'd taken the compound and word had been sent from those rejoining or staying away Saul had afforded himself the opportunity to relax. For the new few days at least there wasn't anything more to worry about.

They'd won.

They'd started on along road, but for now at least, they'd reached a place to rest.

• Yay
"I'm fine," she responded immediately, the practiced response slipping off her tongue like butter. She was unreadable, unusual for her but doing a fair impression of the others.Which was the point of this all. She kept herself locked down, constantly shutting down thoughts that tried to bubble up.

She felt his heavy gaze, knew it was trying to break her down, so she added. "I was just going to wash up." She held open her hands, baring the blood cake under her nails and staining the apron she had taken off at his door.

• Yay
He glanced at her hand, frowning, and then glancing down at his feet.

A slight pang of shame rang through him, though why he didn't really know. Perhaps it was because he hadn't helped with the wounded, though Saul had never been particularly good at the medical side of things. Still, he wanted to help, it was within his nature.

"I'll come with you." Saul told her.

It would at least give him a chance to poke around the compound.

Since everyone had returned he and Edwin had been practically sealed in the Lord Captain's chambers. They'd read letters received by Arrawaith and promises made. It had been a pain to sort through it all, not the least because they needed to know who was friend and who was foe.

A fact that he'd now hopefully sorted.

• Yay
"I don't need you to," she quipped, defensive. She caught herself just as fast, rocking back a little. "What I meant was..." she amended, speaking carefully. "You don't have to do that. I really am fine. ... and I'm sure you have things to do."

• Yay
He shook his head. "I need to get out of that office."

That was of course not the entire reason, but if was a good enough excuse.

"I've been cooped up in there for hours reading and writing." Not things that he was really well known for. Saul had done well enough in the classes here at the Compound, but he'd never been near the top of higher learning. Not among them anyway. "Plus I need to seearound the Compound."

He told her quietly, not sure if he sounded like he was just making excuses.

• Yay