Fable - Ask There's Something About Nira

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
The events of the day had left her so tired that despite the conversations between Khari and the three men who accompanied them she slept soundly. So exhausted that very little would have woken her from slumber. As the sun crested over the horizon in the morning she finally came to her senses not long after her friend.

Ichika pierced the stillness of the room with a loud yawn as she awoke. In her mind’s post-sleep haze she’d nearly forgotten the predicament the two women had found themselves in. But the quiet was almost eerie, as if it preceded something sinister.

”Where are they?” she whispered to her friend. The silence magnified the situation they found themselves placed in. Perhaps the entirety of Nira was suffering from a collective hangover after last night’s festival?

The Tsuri woman stepped out of the bed, adjusting her peasant’s clothes. ”Should we stay put?”

Fleeing after their male companions had vanished seemed risky. Maybe there was a threat they’d dealt with and were returning soon? Staying in the rundown motel might’ve been the safest gambit but at the same time perhaps the quiet of the city would provide an excellent cover for them to slip out undetected.

Unless, of course, a trap was being set for the two.

• Sip
Reactions: Khari
Khari frowned.

She didn't want to believe that the three retainers would betray them, but a lingering doubt raced through her mind. Lips thinned.

It was almost certain that by now the two of them would have a very large bounty on their head. So large that most normal humans would have been tempted to snap it up. It would have been easy for the three retainers, simple.

All they would have had to do was give Nari's city guard the address of the hotel. That would have been it. It would have all been ov-

"Good morning!"

It was Obi who burst through the door. In his hand was a silvery tray, she assumed it wasn't real silver, that had more than a dozen pastries upon it. He wore a happy smile, though the expression really didn't suit his face. He walked over towards the two girl.

"You both rather passed out, so we thought we'd let you sleep in. Got you these pasties though!"

Khari slowly looked over to Ichika. "Th-thank you?"

She stammered.

• Cheer
Reactions: Ichika
Ichika smiled.

Only after Obi had burst through the doors did she realize how much tension she was holding in during that brief moment. When the mention of pastries atop the silver platter he held her face lit up. She hadn't wanted to mention this the moment they woke up but she was absolutely starving.

All of the alcohol and cardio of the previous evening had left her stomach running on empty.

"These look great Obi!" were the only words she managed to get out before grabbing at the first fruit-filled scone. Nibbles quickly turned into a mouthfuls as she cast a look of joy up to Khari, "youf got to try fhis one!" Her hand pressed against her lips to shield the daemonette of any bits of patisserie.

There were other treats lining the tray of course. A cinnamon speckled round thing, one long-shaped object covered in chocolate and filled with a cream, and even little bits of plum around the edge of the tray to serve as a palate cleanser of sorts.

The Tsuri woman took a break between bites to mention to her friend. "When we're back at Dornoch you'll have to come to my home. Our chef makes some fantastic deserts and we even have a spa and a guest wing for dignitaries. We'll really treat ourselves."

• Cthuulove
Khari was more than happy to indulge in the treats that Obi had brought them.

Though her gilded cage back home was indeed a cage, she did enjoy many luxuries back in Dornoch. Pastries was one of those things, though these were especially delectable. Perhaps it was the day they had just suffered through, or perhaps Nira was just filled with better bakers.

The Daemonette had no idea, but she was happy for it. "Mhm."

She intoned quietly, munching away on one of the pastries.

As Ichika spoke of the chef at her home Khari gave a small nod. A shy smile touched her lips, and for just a brief moment she allowed herself to live in a fantasy where such a thing could come true. It was a nice thought, one that she could have stayed in all day.

"I-I have some bad news...not to spoil the meal or anything."

Khari frowned, looking up.

"What is it?" She asked softly.

"The entire city is looking for you, I mean you specifically, Miss Khari. It seems the Daimyo's son is still missing and for now a General Timura is ruling the city, but...well they know who you are. At least made a guess. There are posters of you all over the city."

• Nervous
Obi mentioned his bad news and it caught the short-haired Tsuri woman so off guard that a bit of the chocolate croissant she was nibbling on fell down her chin. What could possibly have gone wrong now?

"How is the daimyo's son still missing? We left him," she ceased speaking as the gears clicked in her head. "Oh. Someone is making a power grab." And pinning it all on Khari was likely their intention. The Dynast's personal killer come to Nira and murders the daimyo, 'murders' her son too, the city has no choice but to accept General Timura (or whoever was pulling his strings).

Maybe they'd even force the Dynast to recognize the new ruler of Nira's authority to avoid further political embarrassment.

Ichika placed her half-eaten pastry back on the table and stood, still clutching her injured arm. "We need to get back to Dornoch." There wouldn't be any fair trials here. Khari would simply be placed in some kangaroo court or executed immediately, her body parading as a political weapon. At least in Dornoch they stood a chance. Maybe the Dynast would see through it, spare her, and if not then the Tsuri family had vast resources to at least give the women some options.

Of course, to move they'd need a proper disguise for the daemon-girl. "Obi, we're going to need hair dye. And a lot of makeup." They already had the hooded robe to cover her horns.

• Stressed
Khari sat quietly, contemplating.

Obi nodded his head eagerly, apparently either wanting to please or simply all in on the ludicrous nature of what was now going on.

The Daemonette couldn't quite pin down which one of the two it was, but he seemed more than eager to take down a list of things from Ichika. He asked a few questions, and then began to jot down some notes so he would not get the wrong things.

Half-way through, Khari interrupted. "I'm not sure this is going to work..."

She said quietly.

"No matter how much we disguise my hair, no matter how much we change my clothes or face..." Khari trailed off, then gestured. "I still have these."

A frown touched her lips. "They're a dead giveaway."

She just couldn't see a way around them. "I think...think we might have to cut them off..."

• Stressed
"No."

Her words were stern as her milk chocolate eyes narrowed at Khari. "We aren't cutting them off." Ichika practically slammed her foot on the ground in protest. Anyone who got to know Khari even a little bit was forced to realize that she was incredibly self-conscious about her horns.

Even in a multicultural melting pot like the Erdeniin Empire they were unusual. Combine it with the red lines on her face and the woman stood out, almost like a pariah. For Ichika though they were what made her friend. Seeing the woman struggle with her appearance like this had upset her for the week or so they'd known one another and she'd already made her mind up that once this whole endeavor was behind them Ichika would help the daemonette accept exactly who she was.

"If we need to escape through the sewers then that's what we do. If we need to throw you in a burlap sack and haul you off like you're a delivery of fish, that's what we do," the port administrator was practically huffing at his point. Her chest rapidly rising up and down as she found the entire notion so upsetting. "We are not going to mutilate you. No way."

With that she moved closer and placed a comforting hand on Khari's shoulder, staring directly into her friend's eyes.

• Stressed
"We don't have a choice!" Khari intoned, her voice more of a quiet whine than anything else.

She knew exactly what Ichika was doing, what she meant.

The very thought of it made her heart soar. Khari knew dozens of people back home who would have jumped at the chance to carve her horns into stumps, knew that most folk would have rejoiced at the idea. The fact that Ichika defended them made her want to practically hug the other girl to death.

But it just didn't work. "One look. One little glance. That's all it will take."

She said quietly.

"There aren't many people with...this." Khari gestured to her horns. "Tieflings, sure, but there aren't many in Nira and...and..."

A frown touched her lips. "They don't look like me."

Her head shook.

"I just don't know how else we'd get out, Ichika. Even if I was in a sack. All they need is one look..." Her voice trailed off quietly.

• Stressed
Ichika wasn't going to let her do this. It was insane. She couldn't let Khari proceed with it.

"No! We'll find another way!" Her good arm draped around the other woman's neck and she pulled her friend close. Eyes beginning to well up with tears as she squeezed her tighter. "Obi, tell her this is crazy," she choked out between sobs.

"Well actually..."
"See! Obi agrees with me!" Ichika forced a laugh to come through as she pulled Khari closer and tied her arm as tightly around her as she could manage.

The raven-haired heiress to the Tsuri clan wasn't stupid. The longer they debated this the more it was becoming obvious that it likely was their only play. No matter how much she didn't want to admit it, no matter how badly she wished it wasn't true, there likely wasn't a better way out of Nira than this.

She loosened her grip but still held onto the daemonette. Her face was filled with concern and worry as she simply stared at the other woman. "We can wait, try to figure out... something."

Her please were likely useless at this point. The decision had already been made. Now all that Ichika could do for her friend was be there for her and reassure her that everything was going to be fine.

• Cry
Khari found herself squished against Ichika, her lungs straining as she tried to take a breath and speak out about her own opinion.

Obi looked about as lost as she did, lips turned to a grimace as he raised a finger and tried to object. Ichika didn't give him a chance of course, likely knowing that any sense either of them spoke would just be convincing.

The Daemonette wished that Ichika had been right. Wished that there was another choice.

She had tried to cut her horns before, when she'd been young.

The task had been all but impossible then, but mostly because she'd tried to do it all herself. She couldn't help but believe with others that it would be easier. "I-it's alright Ichika."

Khari said slowly, finally able to take a breath as her friend loosened her grip.

"They don't feel pain." At least they hadn't ever. "A-and I think they'll grow back."

Not that getting rid of them wouldn't be a blessing. "I-I just don't know how else we'll get out."

She said softly, reaching up to gently curl her fingers around her friends arm.

• Stressed
There wasn't anything less to say about it. Hopefully her friend's horns would regrow and hopefully she was right about them not feeling pain. Resigned to the decision Ichika side-eyed Obi and nodded, "OK," was all she said and the man needed nothing else to prompt him to turn and leave the room.

For several moments the two friends stood and simply embraced one another until Obi returned.

He came accompanied by Yasui this time, each armed with a bonesaw and files. At this point the two were sitting on the floor, backs pressed against the bed. Ichika's heart fluttered slightly as she saw the jagged edges of the saws.

"Remember to take your time... and be careful... and stop if she winces or..." she instructed the two men who came around to either side of Khari. The Tsuri heiress positioned herself in front of her friend and grabbed her hand, forcing a smile at her.

The entire situation was awful. Ichika had wished she could do something, anything, to prevent it from happening but she'd already said her peace. She knew the daemonette wouldn't risk them being captured over her horns and the short-haired woman couldn't help but respect her decision. "Let them know when you're ready," she gave her friend's hand a squeeze as she said it.

• Stressed
For a few seconds it seemed like Khari wouldn't give the go-ahead. A nervous expression flickered over her face, lips thinning.

She stared ahead at Ichika.

It was that small tentative smile on her friends face, the squeeze of her hand. It was the reason why she was doing this. To get them out alive, to keep them all safe. It was important, and she was sure that her horns would grow back.

Even if they didn't...maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing. They had always been what marked her out, what others saw as 'evil'. Maybe without them she would live a more normal life. Maybe without them she could finally be more than just a 'demon'. "O-okay."

She said slowly. "Do it."

Obi glanced down at her, then over towards Yasui. Gently he moved, placing the saw onto the horn on the right of her head.

Nothing happened, save for a brief pulse that ran through the odd red lines within the bone like structure.

Khari's eyes flickered upward, taking a breath, and then closing her eyes.

She felt Obi's grip tighten, felt his muscles strain, and then the first draw of the blades over her horn. There was no pain, hardly any sensation at all, save for that pulse. It ran through her entire body, flickering, drawing in. Her eyes went wide in panic, and then suddenly she let out a scream. "GET DO-"

Before she could finish speaking, as Obi cut into her horn, the spark of energy released itself.

An explosion tore out from the 'wound', rippling in a thunderous concussive blast. It tore at everything around Khari, ripping into clothes, bedding, anything in it's path. Windows shattered, and screened doors were torn into pieces.

Everything was going to be fine.

Ichika kept repeating that thought through her head over and over again. There wasn't anything to be worried about, she reminded herself as she continued her wide smile aimed directly at Khari. Their clenched hands got tighter as the daemonette asked for them to proceed.

"Everything is going to be fine," she said aloud in as positive of a voice as Ichika could muster. As the blades began to saw into her horns she added, "when we get home we'll have to," her words stopped as her friend's face was filled with worry and her voice rang out.

There wasn't any chance for Khari to finish her warning. There was a flash of red light and then a blast that threw Ichika against the far wall.

A few seconds, or perhaps minutes, later she rolled over and let out a groan.

Her hair clumped near her forehead where a gash had formed and caused a mass of hair and blood to form. That was the first thing she noticed. The second thing she noticed was the bone sticking out of her leg.

"K-Khari?" she said in a mumbled stupor.

• Stressed
Khari was the only one in the room not hurt. Not a single cut lay on her skin, not a bruise, nothing at all. The slight gash within her horn was still, yet it radiated with an angry red.

Her eyes snapped open, panic gripping her almost immediately.

Heart thundered, gaze sweeping over the room as she desperately searched for Ichika. She spotted Obi laying unconscious against the wall, Yasui half standing up against one of the bed looking as though he were about to collapse. Then she saw her friend.

Almost immediately the Daemonette stood.

Within half a second she closed the distance between the two of them. "Ichika!"

Her voice was a half startled cry, a desperate pleading that echoed out towards no one in particular. She fell to her knees almost immediately, gently gripping her friends head and steadying her gaze.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." She whispered again and again. "I don't...I didn't mean to...I don't understand..."

Khari said desperately, her voice half a cry.

She was sure that Ichika would despise her, hate her. She had every right to. She had every reason to. "I never thought..."

The Daemonette tried everything she could to cut off the anger she knew must be coming. The hatred that was surely there.

• Cry
Ichika would be lying if she couldn't admit that she was in an incredible amount of pain. Having a broken wrist was one thing and she'd done a well enough job ignoring it. But having a chunk of bone stuck out from your leg was a new threshold of pain that she'd never comprehended before.

Brown eyes filled with sorrow as she saw the desperation on Khari's face. It was obvious that the whole situation had weighed heavily on her. It's okay, you didn't know," the Tsuri administrator forced her smile once again and placed a comforting hand on the demoness' arm.

She wasn't sure if she'd even be able to walk now. How would they ever get out of Nira if she couldn't even walk?

"You didn't do anything wrong," she reassured her friend once more. "You should get back to Dornoch. Negotiate my release." It was probably the best course of action to get all of them out of here alive at this point.

Ichika was pretty sure that the authorities of Nira wouldn't execute the heiress to the Tsuri clan and Khari could probably escape the city easier on her own. "I don't want to hold you back."

• Stressed
Khari shook her head. "N-no."

There was no way.

"No." She said more firmly this time, her voice solid. "I won't."

The Daemonette glanced around the room, looked to the shattered windows, the broken doors. The Two Retainers who were barely standing. Whatever had exploded out from her, whatever magic that was...she'd never done anything like it before. She didn't understand, but it didn't matter right now.

"You're the only friend I've ever had." Khari said quietly, tears welling in her eyes.

"I'm not leaving you here." Her voice was solid, firm. "I'll get us out, somehow."

She began to run through a dozen scenarios in her head. A way they could get Ichika out, a way they could make it past all of this. An idea flickered through her mind, though it was not a good one. "I need to set your leg."

Khari said, gently gripping Ichika's face.

"It's going to hurt." But there was no other way.

• Nervous
Khari had not been Ichika's only friend.

But her refusal to abandon her quickly elevated the demoness to the status of being her best friend. The other clanmembers, cousins, and associates she had back home wouldn't have challenged her. They'd have seen her injury, heard her suggestion, and then saved their own skins.

That realization filled Ichika with warmth and forced a genuine smile onto her face.

Of course, that cozy expression was erased by the next thing that Khari mentioned. "S-set it? Um, can we talk about this for just a second," she held up a pleading hand as her mind raced at some of the alternatives. She was already in severe pain, the idea that her leg could hurt even worse was one of the most terrifying prospects she could have processed in that instant. Nearly all of the color faded from her face.

"Doesn't Nira have like, some free healers at the temple or s-something?" That'd be a perfect solution, they'd just go get a healer who was sworn to patient confidentiality and she'd be right as rain. No pain required!

Her watery eyes pleaded at Khari's face but the Tsuri girl knew she was speaking nonsense. There really was no other way even if her mind wanted to think otherwise.

• Stressed
Khari shook her head. ”There isn’t enough time.”

There was no doubt that the guards had already been alerted to the explosion. How could they not have been with the ruckus it had caused? They would surround the place soon, if they hadn’t already. Khari had brought utter disaster on them, and as sorry as she was, there wasn’t any taking it back now.

”I was taught some healing by my tutors.” She told Ichika, though failed to mention that those lessons had been nearly a decade ago and she’d never much paid attention to any of it.

”I’ll set the bone.” She told her friend. ”Put a splint on it, then get a healing rune in place.”

Khari doubted that it would be safe enough to walk on, but it would at least keep Ichika from dying. ”Ready?”

The Daemonette did not wait for an affirmation.

Her fingers flickered forward, thin strands wove themselves around Ichika’s legs. Then suddenly her magic wrenched around her friend’s leg. The bone was pulled back into proper place, taken there by a jarring and sudden jerk that was faster than any hand could have offered.

• Stressed
Ok, Khari had experience with healing magic. That was good, it meant this wouldn’t be as bad as the nightmarish image she was picturing. Perhaps she knew some sort of numbing spell or maybe a mending incantation which would simply cau-

”AAAAHHHH-,” Ichika’s bloodcurdling scream transformed into a muffled cry of pain as Khari’s hand came up and firmly covered her mouth. Tears streamed down her cheeks even as the healing rune began to take effect.

Stars danced and dazzled at the corners of her vision, blurred by the welling tears. Only after a few more seconds did Ichika’s sobs rescind and her horned friend removed the hand from her mouth. How were they possibly going to escape now?

There wasn’t any chance the short haired girl could walk. At least not for a few hours and only then if the healing rune was truly well made.

But they didn’t have hours, they needed to get out of Nira as quickly as possible. ”W-what d-do we,” she spoke in ragged breaths with a shaky voice. In between deep inhalations she stammered out, ”do n-now?”

Nira was, officially, going to be removed from Ichika and Khari’s list of relaxing vacation spots.

• Stressed
By now Asuka was standing in the shattered doorway. His eyes were wide and there was no small amount of shock on his face, but he seemed whole at least. "Asuka, check the others, make sure they're okay."

Yasui waved him off almost as soon as the other man stepped forward, though Obi seemed to lull against the wall still.

"Will be alright, just...time."

He said quietly, his head shaking as he tried to take in a deep breath. It was cut short by a pain in his ribs, and Khari quickly nodded.

"Alright. Alright." She said with a nod. "Obi, Yasui, stay here. Tell the guards we attacked you, stole your things. Headed towards the docs. Can you do that?"

Obi hesitated, but then nodded. He didn't want to be anywhere near her. "Asuka, pick up Ichika. Get a robe, and get her to the Grand Lotus. Penthouse suite."

The Daimyo's sons room.

"I'll meet you there, okay?" She said to Ichika, squeezing her friends arm gently.

Ichika nodded and gave her friend’s hand a squeeze. ”Be careful,” she said in a serious tone. The idea of Khari being captured filling her with an extreme dread. A glance was paid at Asuka, she’d spent the least amount of time speaking with him on their journey over and while he looked capable he also had an unfamiliar edge to his appearance.

”And please hurry.” With that the taller man scooped Ichika up from the floor, careful with her mangled leg only after the initial whimper she issued, and the pair was soon out into the streets of Nira.

Outside there was a chaotic situation happening on nearly every street corner. The official guards were making regular patrols and loyalists had formed makeshift townwatch groups who marched through the city shouting things like, “we must find the demonspawn!” or, “they killed our mother!” It felt as if Nira was on the verge of an all out riot.

Once they had arrived at the Grand Lotus, after weaving through alleys and back roads the entire journey, Asuka was wise enough to enter through the kitchen exit. He apparently spoke some orcish dialect which seemingly went over well with the kitchen staff and got them through.

Truthfully she had no idea what Khari was plotting. Why they’d be going back here or how she’d plan for them to escape. But she’d placed her trust in her friend this long and it seemed silly to doubt her now.

Only after they had made it to the penthouse suite was Ichika able to rest. He plopped her down on the first sofa as her gaze tried to make out whether the daimyo’s son was still present or not…

• Sip
Being seen when you wanted to be seen was easy, disappearing after you were seen was a bit more difficult.

Khari had been taught for most of her life that stealth was key to her survival. Even without her line of work, even without her tutors, it was something she had come to intrinsically understand. People hated her simply for what she was.

That would always be there, always be the case.

That was why she had taught herself to disappear, to work as a shadow.

So she allowed herself to be seen. She allowed the crowd a glimpse of herself, and then lead them on a merry chase. By the time she circled back to the Grand Lotus the sun was once again setting on the horizon. She had nearly been caught thrice, only managing to escape due to sheer luck the last time.

The Daemonette was tired, exhausted, but as she slipped onto the Penthouse balcony she was sure that no one had followed her there.

Her knuckles rapped against the glass doors, eyes narrowing slightly as she spotted Ichika on the sofa...sitting opposite the still tied up heir to Nira.

• Bless
Ichika's eyes were bloodshot and tired from the previous day's events. They felt watery and sore after the tears that had welled up from setting her leg back into place. Khari's healing rune was beginning to do its job but it'd likely be nightfall until she could put any weight on the thing. And even then, she'd be moving with a limp.

For now she simply glared at the bond heir to Nira's throne. Only, he wasn't really an heir. He was a man and the law within Erdeniin was extremely clear. Males could not inherit A real problem for someone like the daimyo who bore only sons.

But, in cases like the one they found themselves in the boy could nominate a lawful successor. One of his female cousins or an aunt. That was, of course, unless General Timura declared full martial law, seized the city, and intended to break away from Erdeniin. That'd be a difficult prospect if the daimyo's son lived and named a proper successor.

"Long time no see," she finally said as the hellspawn they'd bond and gagged murmured through the wrappings over his mouth. He glared at Ichika with a fury but she sat still, Asuka nearby in case the lad somehow broke free. "We'll be waiting for a bit, a friend of mine is on her way."

An hour or two later Khari slid in through the window and the Tsuri girl's face lit up with joy at the sight of her. "Khari! Are you alright?" She wanted to jump up and hug her but instead her gaze went right back to the noble boy tied up on the ground.

• Sip
"I'm alright." She called out, though there was a lethargy to her tone she couldn't quite keep away.

The previous day had practically drained her of all her magic, running around the city tonight?

She felt as though she had been run through a dozen washing cycles in the rapids of a river and simply been left in the water afterward. Her body ached, her face hurt, and even her horns seemed to scream in some sort of pain. All that she wanted to do was sleep.

Yet somehow she managed to drag herself over towards one of the sofas, crashing down with a soft thud. "Are you?"

The Daemonette asked, head lulling towards the Heir who sat bound and gagged.

Oh good. He's still alive. She thought to herself, head lulling to regard Ichika more completely.

Concern flickered over her features, knowing still how badly she had harmed her friend.

• Popcorn
"I'm great," she replied warmly, "you're quite the healer you know."

Ichika hadn't known Khari very long but they'd become fast friends in the week or so they'd known one another. She could tell that the injury she'd caused weighed on her conscious and while, in the moment, she couldn't help but show how agonizing it all was now that the wound was healing and the pain was subsiding the least she could for her friend was to put on a brave face.

After all, she'd likely be dead already without the daemonette's assistance.

The daimyo's child had righted himself into a sitting position, his mouth still gagged as he glared at the two women before him. Ichika gestured with her chin over to his designated corner and asked her friend, "what do you wish to do with him?"

She was certain that he was the reason why they'd come back her though the short haired woman wasn't entirely sure what plan the horned assassin had concocted.

• Thoughtful