Private Tales The Wrong Kind of Ship

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
She offered him the soup and sat on the deck, crossing her legs beneath her. Sitting, she began shoveling in spoonfuls quickly. She was surprised at herself. She liked being alone. Didn't like to extrovert a lot and here she was. Gabbing up a northerner.

Still, that didn't mean she'd be super talkative.

"Elbion," she said quietly between slurps.

• Sip
Reactions: Ivar
He blinked. "Never heard of it."

The Tundra was far, far away from Elbion. Ivar had heard of few cities in the southlands, and anything that far west was more of a tall tale than anything else. He knew of Teth from some of the traders that made it to Kjos.

Knew of Molthal because he'd fought in the Blightlands, and of course Alliria. Other than that though? Most of the world was an utter mystery to him. That was part of why he had left the Tundra in the first place. To explore, fo love, to see what opportunities lay in this world for someone like him.

"What is it like?" He asked. "Cities are...different in the South."

That was putting it mildly.

• Yay
Reactions: Finn
The soup was good. Not as good as Darrendale made in the dwarven kingdom. But pretty darn good for a young girl who only picked up the skill of cooking recently. She had to during her travels. She'd gotten sick of eating bread, cheese, and dried meats.

Head tilted up to look at him. Even sitting down, he towered over her.

"It's busy, loud, crowded, and dangerous." Voice quieted on the last word. "Folks vying for their little two-by-two piece of land and power. Those who already have power looking to exploit others." Shoulders rolled. "Suppose it's like that almost everywhere, actually. What's it like in the North? Don't think I've ever gone up that way."

• Sip
Ivar shrugged. "Depends on where you go."

Teth was a rather unique animal, at least as far as he was concerned. There was something different about this place that he couldn't quite put his finger on. Back home things were more...put together.

"People in Kjos tend to be more helpful to one another, they work together." Unless you were an exile of course, like his father had been. "The Nordenfiir are insular, but they have a sense of community."

He shrugged. "It depends on where you go."

Ivar did not mention the Nordwiir. They were a...disturbed people, and if she thought about heading to the Tundra he did not want to dissuade her. His home was beautiful, most people kind.

Not visiting because of one tale of horror would be sad.

• Yay
"Maybe you could show me one day," she pondered. It sounded interesting. "Would they shoot me down from the skies, though?"

Finn, obviously, had to be careful. One would think dragons would be the worst but they were actually very polite and more curious than anything. It was usually orcs and humans shooting from the ground that posed the biggest problem.

"Okay," she finished her soup and sat up. "Looks like tomorrow morning I"ll have to make one more trip to the market. Might have you stay here and guard the ship."

He shook his head. "Not unless this thing looked like a Frost Wyrm in the air."

Ivar somewhat doubted that it did.

From what he could tell the ship was...well just a ship, but floating through the air. Most people in the Tundra would probably be just as bewildered as he was, probably more. Most were friendly, as long as they were not Nordwiir or Giant.

Though she'd have to be careful still.

"Sure that's a good idea?" He asked. "Might be better if I come with you. The Markets aren't exactly...safe."

There had been rumor of a slaughter lately, a Pirate Captain attacking a rival or some such. Ivar had not heard the details, just some rumor.

• Yay
"Frost Wyrm? You'll have to explain that one more to me."

Cleaning up her dishes and snatching his up as well, she took them back to her little cabin, keeping the door open so she'd still be able to hear him.

"I'm not sure," she admitted about his question on his role guarding the ship, or like he suggested, guarding her. She had left her ship alone before but it always made her worry.

"Will bringing you attract more attention to me?"

Again, he was quite the bear.

• Popcorn
"It's a big flyi-" Ivar cut himself off with a shake of his head. "I'll tell you later."

The Northman was not entirely sure how Teth worked, but from what he had observed ships were most often left alone. As long as you paid the dockmaster things were generally okay. The reputation of whoever was running the dock was at stake.

If something was stolen from a ship on their berth it was taken as an insult, and an insult here on Teth was met with strict retribution. "Don't know."

Ivar admitted with a shrug.

"I'm not exactly the biggest thing here." He had seen more than one ogre walking around...literally.

"No you're not," she admitted. The biggest thing here. "But you look pretty," how could she put this delicately?

She swallowed.

"Intimidating." A quick shrug his way as if there was nothing she could do about it. And there wasn't. Blues narrowed in his direction. "Wait. Why do you have to explain what a frost wyrm looks like later?" Fingers came up and picked lightly at the tattoo that ran down the outside of one of her thin arms.

• Popcorn
Ivar blinked.

He had never really thought of himself as intimidating...though he realized now that it was probably true. The Barbarian stood head and shoulders above many Southrons, hell, even over most of his own people. He was a warrior well versed in combat, a man who could hunt the worst beasts of the Tundra.

Lips thinned as she made him consider the thought that he might be...scary. "Well, I..."

Ivar rubbed the back of his head.

"Better I stay with you then." He offered. "Keep them off your back here."

The Barbarian said. "I'd rather make sure you're safe than a ship."

Better protect the mind that had built it.

• Cthuulove
Color tinged her pale cheeks and she wasn't sure why. Perhaps his insistence on keeping her safe. It reminded her of an old friend.

"Alright," she squeaked. Cleared her throat. "Just, let's try not to get into a fight. Okay?" She gulped and slung a bag over her bony shoulder. She had things to trade with in there and a list of supplies she still needed.

"Ready?"

• Popcorn
"I'll do my best." Ivar said with a nod of his head.

Despite his size, Ivar has never really enjoyed fighting all that much. He'd joined a few Mercenary Bands, fought in a battle or two, but it was never his go to. Fighting was a job, a task that he had to do to earn coin, that was the opposite of what was needed now.

He preferred to steer clear of any combat if he could help it, if only to make sure that he stayed alive a little longer. "Just stay close."

Ivar told her as he pulled himself out of the airship and onto the dock, offering Finn a hand so that she could get onto the pier more easily.

• Bless
She took his hand. Again his larger, calloused palm dwarfing her own. But hers was calloused too. Lots of work on an airship to keep it up and running. Especially recently.

They wound their way through busy and cramped docks that built upon old ships cobbled together to form this floating island. There were some large gaps were things were in dire need of repair but the residents cobbled together patches of wood to still make walkable routes. Even was some of the wood groaned and creaked beneath them.

They began passing stalls that were stacked three rows up. Ladies of the night offering their services. Mercenaries looking for work. Fishermen selling their catch. Slaves huddled together for sale. Those selling magical items or said to be magical.

"Be on the lookout for more canvas and some dried fish. And," this would be the trickiest one. "If I can find a smithie who will let me use their forge and some metal."

• Sip
He glanced over to her. "Most probably would, if you paid them well enough."

There had to be Smiths on Teth, there were smiths in every city.

A place like this served pirates, men and women who went into battle. Not to mention all the ships that had to be taken care of. Ore would likely be transported in, taken from stolen ships and the like, but he couldn't imagine such a place would survive long without a few dozen smiths.

"There." He pointed to a shop built into an old Galleon, noting the great lengths of rolled up canvas hanging outside. "That what you need?"

At least in part.

• Yay
A quick nod as she ambled over. Thin lips pursed as she began the process of trading and bartering. The shop-keeper finally relented even though Finn thought they got the better end of the deal. Cost her a stack of coppers and some rope. But, the keeper did point the pair in the direction of a smithy.

Problem was, it was in Red Beard's territory.

Gangs on this cobbled port was starting to be a problem and Red Beard was the most powerful of them all.

"Alright," Finn sighed. "Here we go. Into the dragon's den."

• Popcorn
Ivar stepped behind Finn as though there were no problem in the world. He was of course entirely unaware of the politics of Teth, not even knowing the name Red Beard or any reputation that might have clung to it.

Teth was world famous, the Pirates that made their berth here were known around the world, but the Tundra was a world of it's own. Most people who tempted the continents never made it close to Ivar's home, and thus he was excluded from the many tales that circled around the pirates of this place.

"Dragon?" The Barbarian asked curiously.

There were no Dragons in the Tundra either, though the wyrms were close from what he understood.

"Don't think a Dragon would make it long here." He told her. "Too much wood."

They breathed fire, after all.

• Haha
The inventor looked to the giant northerner. A shake of her head and a small smile on her small mouth. "No, silly. It's just an expression. It means we're going into danger because a dragon's den...isn't very safe. Well. I imagine it not to be. Y'know."

She paused and scratched at her dirty-blonde hair.

"I've never been in one before but I bet it's dangerous." As Finn was gabbing, she didn't notice the two male orcs who stepped in behind to track them.

• Popcorn
"Ah." Ivar said, his eyes straightforward as she explained the odd expression.

He did not know if she was trying to fool him or actually telling the truth, but he was inclined to believe her. The Southlands were...strange, especially with how the spoke. There was no reason to thing that she was telling a lie.

"I've never seen a Dragon." Ivar confessed, glancing in the mirrored surfaces around them. "Though a Frost Wyrm or two."

While Finn was ignorant of those following them, Ivar was most certainly not.

He spotted them within one of the shields in a shop, his hand falling to his ax. Though he did not speak up to Finn.

Not yet.

• Yay
"Why won't you explain more of what a frosty wyrm looks like?" Finn blinked as she looked down the boardwalk. "There's the sign," she pointed and shuffled onward. It was a female elf hammering in the humidity with sparks flying everywhere.

She was large for an elf and had a blunted nose and forehead.

Finn wouldn't be surprised if she had some orc somewhere in her bloodline.

"Fellow tradeswoman. Hi, I'm Finn and this is my partner, Ivar. Word has it that you're a good one to see for borrowing a forge and tools."

She grunted, wiping a gloved hand across her sweaty brow. "Like hell I'd let anyone else use my tools." The two orcs following them paused far back. Things Finn still didn't notice.

• Popcorn
"Takes a bit, they're...strange." Frost Wyrms were odd creatures, not quite like Dragons down in the south. Not that Ivar really knew that.

Ivar noticed.

He did not say anything still, of course, instead keeping an air of calm around him as he stepped slightly behind Finn just in case. He looked down at the Elf for a moment, observing her for a few seconds and then opening his mouth. "Not even for a few coin?"

The Barbarian questioned.

"You'd not need to leave the forge." He contended. "Just need a bit of time, is all."

• Wonder
"Well, if you have enough coin," the elf quipped, giving them both a long, hard look.

Finn dug in her pockets and brought out one of the gems from the dwarven kingdoms she'd visited with her friend Talus.

"Will this do?" Finn knew it was...overpayment. And the dangers of flashing it but...she was desperate. She needed that forge. The gangly, smol inventor held out that gem and the elf snatched it up, eyeing it, then eyeing the pair of them. With a small huff, she stepped back and swept her hand over the space.

"All yours. The supplies and materials too."

Finn's bony shoulders sagged in relief. A satisfied grin was cast up to the north man as she stepped inside the small space and snagged a pair of goggles and gloves that went up nearly to her armpits as she got to work.

• Popcorn
Ivar watched Finn for a few seconds, then nodded his head with a smile.

Fingers fluttered across his ax for a few seconds, hand reaching over the half-moon blade as he went and leaned against one of the posts of the smithy. He leaned backwards and watched those within the crowd nearby, eyes shifting slowly.

He spotted the Orcs.

They watched from what they thought was a hidden position, standing in the crowd and peering at Finn. Ivar didn't look at them directly, though he watched them. It was fifteen minutes when one of them walked away, the other staying. "How long will this take?"

He asked Finn over the roar of the flame.

• Yay
At first Finn didn't hear him, over the roar of the torch. Sweat dripped down her brow. It certainly wasn't cool on this floating barge of an island. Add these thick gloves and the fire she was using. Melting metal and shaping it.

It was so hot and sticky.

But Finn didn't mind. The heat or cold had never really bothered her. Well, maybe some of the colder temps flying too high for too long. But she was fine with the heat.

It wasn't until he shouted again that she finally looked up, flipping off the torch.

"Maybe an hour." Thin shoulders shrugged. "If you're hungry or need a break, you can always meet me back here?" She didn't know why he was asking but assumed perhaps he was getting bored or tired of waiting.

Flipping the shield back over her face, she turned the torch back on.

The elf-forger quietly observed with approval. Even looking more often to see what the girl was doing. Making things she'd never seen before. Shaping metals she'd never thought to shape that way.

• Popcorn
Ivar shook his head. "No, I'm good."

He did not think it was a good idea to leave. The Orc was still standing there, watching. He likely thought himself hidden, but Ivar had been able to pick him out easily enough. Fingers tightened for a brief moment as he crossed his arms.

Had they seen the gem Finn was carrying?

She had kept it hidden until they'd gotten here so he doubted that, but then again he'd never asked how long she had been here or how she'd paid for anything else. Like that Canvas he had carried back.

Lips thinned, and he made the assumption that they likely new, and were now getting additional men. A breath filled his lungs. There would be violence before the day was out.

• Nervous
Finn had never been the best on picking up social cues. She had her head stuck in her inventions. In exploration. Meeting and talking to other craftsmen and women. And every now and then, she was lucky to find a friend. Someone who didn't think her oddities were too much to handle. Someone who felt like the smol inventor needed protecting instead of taking advantage of.

One had been Talus.

Another had been the dwarven king.

Gristle had been the only one in Elbion and he was most likely dead.

But that was it.

So, Finn didn't notice Ivar's posture change. The orcs down the gangway. She was too buried in her work until she finally finished and stashed the pieces of strange, shaped metal into her satchel before slinging it back over her bony shoulders. She handed the gloves and face-shield back to the orcish-elf.

The woman had a small, begrudging smile on her twisted lips. "You need to come back here, just say the word." One tradesmen recognizing talent in another.

Finn tipped her head in an awkward thanks and shuffled out to Ivar.

"Not too bad, right? No one tried to grab me. See? You ready?"

• Popcorn