Completed The War of The Kinniger Duchy

Kyla simply tossed her blood covered garments aside leaving her in only a chest wrap which she discarded as well before plopping into the tub with a relaxed sigh.

She wasn’t one for change, and in light of her usual affairs this man was a large change to what she was accustomed to. Neat, polite, bound by oaths and principles were not carved into the headstones of who you’d find in her list of lovers to date. She let her eyes wander slightly down his body, but in a way of curiosity and not particularly lust. She was reminded of the times they had spent together.

Messy and straightforward. Not something that would be accepted among his people if she were a citizen, but that was why he was so fascinated by her. He was a big change for her, he was neat, bound by oaths and his people's chivalric code. But the same was true of her, she was a big change for him, she was so free, unbound by oaths or expectation. She didn't have to or really try to hide her shortcomings, whereas he wasn't going to hide it but he always, always felt a sense of guilt afterwards and he often went on what his people knew as a Pilgrimage for Penance. She fascinated him, and he was a little ashamed to know that he was envious of the freedoms she had.

“This...This is nice..” She said with a smirk as the knight followed suit if not in a neater fashion than she herself had approached the task..but such was his nature..charming in a way Kyla found refreshing if not slightly unnerving.

"It is," he said in agreement, "something tells me that you haven't relaxed in a while. You'd be amazed at how much good a warm bath can do.

The monster hunters..Then the trip here.. “She is an odd one isn’t she..That Heike..”

He shrugged, "odd to some. To me she seems pretty normal, a little different but definitely similar. How odd that we use the word 'odd' to refer to something that is a certain measure different from ourselves. How odd is that would you say?"

She had scooted around to be next to him in the tub. It was clear her intentions were pure. While a big talker and seemingly the veteran of many tosses in the bed she was far less promiscuous when they were alone.

He smiled at her as she scooted next to him, and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was not lustful. He extended his arm so that he might wrap it about her shoulders as she came closer, a gesture mostly to bring some calm comfort to both of them.

He himself had had but one lover before, and they hadn't actually shared a bed until they were properly married. He was no veteran, he had only ever shared a night of passion with his wife a few times, but several of the servants and even his father had complained about the two of them keeping them awake at night.

He pushed the memory of his wife from his mind, before it darkened his good mood.

Last edited:
“People that relax in my world often get a chance to relax for eternity. In the ground.” Kyla said with a shrug. “But this..This is a welcome treat.” She said.

“Especially with you..” She said laying her head on his shoulder and relaxing close to him. “I suppose. I really do not even consider such things...perhaps it’s the dual nature of how if conflicts with her affliction..And it seems my sister truly has deep feelings for her..so I suppose I will have to..as my sister says “get the $&@! Over it.” She said with a sigh as she watched the steam rise from tub.

“I doubt any one would approve of what we’re doing..Not now particularly, but in general..Is that something you feel is worth..us? Your father seems to be not someone that would approve and I would not wish to have him as an enemy...or complicate your relationship. A man needs his father..For guidance, and wise counsel.” She said plainly.

“Our ways are very different. I find it charming and refreshing. But I see conflict in the future of others..” She said. Not wanting to sour the mood, but these questions had been eating at her mind recently.

“I doubt any one would approve of what we’re doing..Not now particularly, but in general..Is that something you feel is worth..us? Your father seems to be not someone that would approve and I would not wish to have him as an enemy...or complicate your relationship. A man needs his father..For guidance, and wise counsel.” She said plainly.

“Our ways are very different. I find it charming and refreshing. But I see conflict in the future of others..” She said. Not wanting to sour the mood, but these questions had been eating at her mind recently.

“My people, at least those who actually care, will have to, as your sister says, get the $&@! over it.” He said with an amused grin. “Especially my father, besides, his credibility regarding my love interests has lost a lot of validity, he got me married once and it ended poorly for everyone, and now I always press that angle when he tries to find me another, and that’s usually dissuades the woman’s father from allowing the marriage. And as far as my fathers relationship with, me, he has taught me what’s I need, and he has ceased to give me advice, I’m on my own as far as advice goes, I still follow his orders, and if things get too heated I’ll simply need to call for the Duel of Succession, in which case one of us will die, and if I walk away alive, I will have taken the seat of duke from him. The short answer is yes, it has been a long time since I loved someone, and while our relationship is only a few months old, it is something I will defend, with violence if need be.”

Her head on his shoulder, he placed his head on hers, just enjoying the close proximity. “Besides, while my people believe in strength through unity, the sanctity of choice is still something not to be taken lightly, in fact in order to overrule this, especially regarding the union of a man and a woman, one needs a High Priest of one of the virtues to overrule it, and even then it’s hard to do if the couple decide to get another high priest to agree with the union. It’s very hard to prevent this, even with courtly disapproval. So for the most part we’re safe, at least for the time being.”

Heike knew that what she had to say would not be received so well. Yet it needed to be said all the same. She did not want to leave, especially in light of what Ferelith had just shared about other friends, other lovers, being committed to a similar path and not returning--for one reason or another. Though Ferelith's embrace was lovely and Heike wished not to leave her in such an echoing manner as these others, circumstances dictated that it would be the case. Heike had pledged herself to Sir Eberwolf's cause, but revelation concerning the use of necromancy annulled that pledge, as Heike could not morally continue to work with Eberwolf while party to such vile magic.

She told him that she would leave, and she had meant it.

Heike slowly raised her arms to return the embrace. Said in a gentle but quietly resolute tone, her lips down near Ferelith's ear, "I know well that this is difficult, but it is to be done. Attend to your duty here, and attend to it well. That is the prescribed manner by which you will atone for your past crimes and misdeeds. Do this, earn your freedom, and we shall be reunited."

Heike gradually pulled back from the embrace. Said, "Now let us go and see about your sister."

Ferelith Scathach Sir Eberwolf Kinniger

Last edited:
The sadness left her eyes as she heard what she knew she would hear. She seemed almost like her soul was drained out of her eyes at her lovers words.

“Fine..” She said shoving her away harder than she meant to. Her lovers claws raking her back. She didn’t even notice the pain as she glared at her. Tears still dripping from her cheeks.

“Then go! Go and leave me to go die for some order of people that died already! I’m still here! I know you loved them! But I love YOU...and I’m still here..” She was shaking with so much anger and sadness she looked like she couldn’t decide wether to snap Heike in half or sob uncontrollably.

Leaving her trembling as she turned away and began walking away from the camp and towards the woods.

“But I’m sure it doesn’t matter..” She said slamming her fist into a tree. It splintered and fell with a creaking crash. “It never does..” She went stomping off into the woods to blow off steam it seemed. And she didn’t look back.

• Stressed
Reactions: Heike Eisen
Eberwolf sighed and rubbed her shoulder, “Anyway. Tell me about your people. Your customs, your faiths and such. I’d like to learn more about you. And if you’d like I could tell you more about my people.”

The situation with Ferelith had the potential to be problematic. But as of right now he simply relaxed in the hot water, glad to share these moments with Kyla.

• Yay
Heike was taken aback by the abrupt shove. She listened to Ferelith's lamenting, her mouth set in a resolute line but her eyes swimming with concern. Ferelith could be tempestuous, but in truth Heike did not expect it here to such a degree. Pushback and protests, of course, but not a snap shift from sorrow to anger that left a tree felled and Ferelith herself storming off into the woods.

Heike closed her eyes, her head tilting down and to the left. Herr Dieter often said that honor was not kept in times of peace, but in times of strife. And this was such a time. She could go to Ferelith, recant all that she said and commit to staying in the Duchy's War for her sake--to do as her own heart desired. But the heart was a fickle thing, and vigilance needed to be maintained over this fickleness. To uphold one's own cherished values and morals took necessary precedence over all. Failing at this standard led always to a degradation of oneself, in ways subtle or profound.

So she let Ferelith go, as much as it hurt to do so. But her stance and her course had both been made clear, and she would adhere to it. For if Heike did not respect herself, then how could anyone else?

Heike brought her free hand to her face. Cradled a rough third of it with her palm. And at last a slow, pained sigh escaped her lips.

Then she turned toward the camp. Walked the rest of the way into it, looking quite out of place wearing the smock and carrying an armload of wet clothes. She intended to find Sir Eberwolf to inquire about the status of Kyla, and then act accordingly if she had not yet been recovered. He was more than likely at the command tent if he had indeed returned, but if not, Heike would have to ask around to see just where he had gone.

“Ah, My people...” Kyla said a grin creeping into her recollective expression at the knight rubbing her shoulder. “Not much to tell really. My father was a ruler. Leader of our tribe. Gunhild, Brynnhildr, and I were his three princesses. We lived, hunted, and killed most our lives. Our mother died of illness before I could much recall her, and the new wife he chose was an elf that had been found wandering the spine after her caravan was attacked...” Kyla paused as if the memories both brought her joy and sadness.

“We were a happy family then. Many battles were won and many feasts and celebrations had...But prosperity is often the first to go when one comes down from their run of good luck.” She said with a cold neutrality creeping into her tone. Kyla only became neutral when she was removing the emotion she would be displaying if she were a normal person. “One night there was a raid. Orcs mostly. Few humans here and there.. My father was killed in front of us as well as my mother..you know the rest..” She said realizing she had told the knight a bit about her family already.. Her head rested on his shoulder before pulling away as she finally rose. The water clung to her naked body as she began to get dressed. Putting on the clothes she had brought with her.

“Let us go greet the vampire. I can smell her close. And my sister isn’t with her.” She said with a grimace. Helping him out of the tub she would wait for the knight to dress as well before taking him by the hand and leading him out of the bathing area. She went to go find Heike following her nose through the camp until she saw her heading for the command tent. “Where is she?” Kyla asked. After hauling her. Releasing her grip from enerwolfs hand. Her expression saying she already knew the answer.

“Ah, My people...” Kyla said a grin creeping into her recollective expression at the knight rubbing her shoulder. “Not much to tell really. My father was a ruler. Leader of our tribe. Gunhild, Brynnhildr, and I were his three princesses. We lived, hunted, and killed most our lives. Our mother died of illness before I could much recall her, and the new wife he chose was an elf that had been found wandering the spine after her caravan was attacked...” Kyla paused as if the memories both brought her joy and sadness.

“We were a happy family then. Many battles were won and many feasts and celebrations had...But prosperity is often the first to go when one comes down from their run of good luck.” She said with a cold neutrality creeping into her tone. Kyla only became neutral when she was removing the emotion she would be displaying if she were a normal person. “One night there was a raid. Orcs mostly. Few humans here and there.. My father was killed in front of us as well as my mother..you know the rest..” She said realizing she had told the knight a bit about her family already.. Her head rested on his shoulder before pulling away as she finally rose. The water clung to her naked body as she began to get dressed. Putting on the clothes she had brought with her.

He listened closely. Her story was a tragic one to be sure, and he felt sympathetic towards her. He rubbed her shoulder comfortingly as she spoke. Then she stood up, and he couldn’t help but appreciate the view as she stepped out. He followed suit and stepped out.

He put on his undergarments then his gambeson pants and his arming doublet.

“Let us go greet the vampire. I can smell her close. And my sister isn’t with her.” She said with a grimace. Helping him out of the tub she would wait for the knight to dress as well before taking him by the hand and leading him out of the bathing area. She went to go find Heike following her nose through the camp until she saw her heading for the command tent. “Where is she?” Kyla asked. After hauling her. Releasing her grip from enerwolfs hand. Her expression saying she already knew the answer.

When said Ferelith wasn’t there. He looked up at her and said, “that’s not good.”

So he put his armor on as quick as possible, then followed her out. They found Heike by the command tent and Kyla asked the question. He simply waited for Heike to answer. He gave a short whistle as they approached the vampire and Kerberos came bounding over a moment later.

They found her instead of her finding them. Heike had turned around by the command tent, and saw them coming when they were but a few paces out. Them, of course, being the word of distinction: both Eberwolf and Kyla. That answered the first question Heike had quite readily.

"Sir Eberwolf. Kyla--it is good to see you liberated from your predicament," Heike said to them in greeting.

The question, where is she, dove straight to the point, and like before when Heike had to tell Ferelith what happened, she once again found herself being the bearer of bad news. But, with Kyla here now and no need to set off to rescue her, that did change things. It provided an opportunity.

Heike exhaled some lingering air in her lungs out through her nose. Said to her after a short glance to Eberwolf, "I told Ferelith of my decision regarding Sir Eberwolf and the necromancer. She did not receive this news very well. Will you come with me? I know in what direction she has gone, and I believe it would be best if you were there to speak with her as well."

Ferelith, in any case, needed to be brought back regardless. She had her moment to vent some of that destructive anger, but she still had her levied duty to the Duchy in which to attend. Heike did not think she would go fugitive.

Sir Eberwolf Kinniger Ferelith Scathach

“Stupid!” Ferelith spat firing another punch into a large pine. It creaked as it slowly toppled and landed with a crash.

“That’s all I am. For thinking she..for thinking she would stay!” Another tree brought down as her bones shattered and reformed.

The pain blanking out the emotional conflict she found tearing at her heart. It numbed her.

“Yes..Then it will just be me and you for a while I’m guessing..” Ferelith said nothing. Her mouth thinning into a grimace. It was the voice that had been in her head ever since she woke up.

She had been ignoring it.

Barely distinguishable from the usual haunting memories that crept up in her mind in lonely nights in her cell. But it had been persistent..female and speaking with no real accent. Ferelith kept ignoring it.
“Fine. Ignore me? We share this place now and like it or not..” The voice said it’s tone rising from sultry and seductive to pure venom.

“I have a say.” It whispered before Ferelith froze. She fought against it without a word. Trying with every fiber to strain at the will that halted her. “I can make you bleed.” The voice taunted. Her nose began to bleed a thick black blood.

“I can break every bone and keep it that way. Or perhaps I can just keep you like this..What would happen when the animals realize you grow back?” She laughed..It was an icy, mirthless noise that warped the happy sounding titter into a an ice pick of menace.

“Understand?” She asked as the strain of fighting the presence grew too much for the girl and she gave in with a sigh.

“Good.” The voice whispered in a kindly way dripping with sarcasm. Her hair fell to the side as whatever will held her in place relinquished it’s hold and she was allowed to collapse panting.

The small grey scar had grown longer. Running halfway up her skull. Yet still easily covered by her hair When worn in its usual way. Small veins branching out from it pulsed an angry black.

“So..What do you want..” She said finally after having a moment to catch her breath.

“I already have what I want.” The voice said cheerfully.

“The question is. What do YOU want.” It finished as The strain on her body caught up to her as her adrenaline and anger faded from her body.

“I want sleep..” Ferelith said with a slight slur as her vision swam and she finally blacked out. Her hair once again covering the nasty mark.

“We are going to have so. Much. Fun.” It giggled.

• Cthuloo
“I expected as much..” Kyla said with a sigh. “She’s been burned in this way many times before but that serves as little excuse for her to act like a child.” She reached up and kissed Eberwolf on the cheek of his helmet and gave his shoulder a friendly squeeze.

“Stay here love. Let us handle my sister. We will return soon.” She said with a reassuring smile as she turned and gestured for Heike to follow.

“Lead the way.” Kyla said waiting for her to pass her before falling into step alongside her. She noticed the necklace. “She was proud to have that made for you..I have no doubt that only added weight to the blow.” She commented as they walked. Eventually coming to a clearing. Well it hadn’t been a clearing a few moments ago, but it was now.

“I understand why you must leave..and I respect your stance..” She trailed off whistling at the clean swath of destruction that kept going farther into the wilderness. “But my sister thinks too much with her heart. A strong and powerful thing, but often more selfish than even the mind.” Kyla lamented.

She stopped.

Blood.

The ground was becoming more covered with it. Some black, some sparkled the way Ferelith’s and Kyla’s tended to. She stopped and crouched and reached out with two fingers dipping them into the black blood.

“Something isn’t right here..” She said wiping the black blood from her fingers quickly with a look of disgust etching itself into her features. “There is no way..It was just a theory..Even they admitted the risks were to high..” She muttered to herself.

She turned to the vampire.

Her expression held an emotion the vampire as well as anyone that had ever known her had never seen. Even Ferelith herself could only count on a single hand how many times she had seen it even fleetingly appear. This time it stayed. Only adding to the sudden increase to the gravity of the situation.

“When you got back what did she do? What did you both do!?” She said seeming to grow more alarmed by the moment.

Her eyes widening.

Glancing about the clearing. “Find her!” Kyla exclaimed urgently glancing about herself.

“And if you find her ask her what your last name is. Don’t touch her until she answers correctly. If she doesn’t...” Her voice fell as she seemed to shove the possibility from her mind. “Just call me and run to find Eberwolf. DO NOT GET NEAR HER..” Kyla said clearly. “No matter what she says..” She muttered again.

Heike exhaled some lingering air in her lungs out through her nose. Said to her after a short glance to Eberwolf, "I told Ferelith of my decision regarding Sir Eberwolf and the necromancer. She did not receive this news very well. Will you come with me? I know in what direction she has gone, and I believe it would be best if you were there to speak with her as well."

Eberwolf wasn't surprised at this. Heike was just as stubborn in her ways as he was, which meant that there was little that could be done to change her mind. Something he could respect, something he had to respect.

“I expected as much..” Kyla said with a sigh. “She’s been burned in this way many times before but that serves as little excuse for her to act like a child.” She reached up and kissed Eberwolf on the cheek of his helmet and gave his shoulder a friendly squeeze.

“Stay here love. Let us handle my sister. We will return soon.” She said with a reassuring smile as she turned and gestured for Heike to follow.

He cocked an eyebrow, while the show of affection was appreciated, he didn't much care for her giving him orders. But it sounded a lot more like a recommendation than an order, and he could see the wisdom behind it, he was the cause of Heike leaving, so him showing up probably wasn't the best idea. He sighed, "very well, but I'm sending Kerberos with you, just in case, he'll howl for me if things get serious."

Then he turned to Heike, "and when you get back, there is something I need to say to you. A warning really, and a recommendation."

And so he saw them off, Kerberos following them closely, and he stayed on the wall to listen for a howl, and watch for their return, Thunder waited by the gate.

• Yay
Heike thought it to be a touch improper that Kyla would give her warden, Sir Eberwolf, a command such as she did. Yet it was also improper for Heike and Ferelith to be romantically involved while they were warden and charge, so she had scarce room to voice any objections, however mild. It did not appear to bother Eberwolf, and he was sending the three-headed hound to attend them, so all was fine regardless.

Before they could set off, Eberwolf spoke directly to her. A warning and a recommendation? She could not imagine about what, for it had seemed that Eberwolf had manifested all of his thoughts on their fracturing disagreement already.

But Heike nodded in assent to him. Said, "Alright, Sir Eberwolf. We shall share words when I return."

* * * * *​

Heike deposited her wet clothes in the tent assigned to her and Ferelith before they set out. She'd but the smock she wore, the necklace about her neck, and the shoes on her feet--but perhaps Ferelith could be swayed to reason in short time.

And this thought was challenged severely by the sight of the trail of felled trees, which left Heike pitted against a wall of disappointed consternation. Kyla was certainly right about that, about her sister thinking quite heavily with her heart, and Heike agreed, "Yes. I am aware." Yet she was still left with murky, sinking feeling of dismay. Was this what she could expect every time she and Ferelith had a disagreement? Ferelith was indeed prone to violence when her fortunes turned, that same fighting spirit Heike loved turning in an instant from a thing worthy of adoration to a thing worthy of scorn for its childish lack of forbearance. The wanton, senseless vandalism here was utterly unbecoming, and it was a shame to even look upon. Disorderly. Bereft of discipline. An indulgence in impulse. It was a disgrace.

Along they went. Until Kyla spotted something, drawing Heike's attention down.

Then, so far as Heike was concerned, Kyla began to make little sense--this all coming from seemingly nowhere for no discernible reason. Heike narrowed her brow in strained consideration. Kyla's alarm was palpable, but what she was saying was lacking context or served as inadequate explanation for said alarm; even her two questions seemed to be of negligible consequence. She had left quite a lot out of what troubled her so.

Heike lifted her clawed hands up in a slow down gesture. "Calm down, Kyla. I can see your concern, but I do not understand it. Tell me what you know. What do you believe happened to Ferelith, why does my last name matter, and why is it that we should not get near her?"

That we should not get near her. If Kyla's abrupt alarm was as warranted as it appeared, there seemed to be no worthwhile benefit in splitting up as she had implied, and Heike had no intention to do so.

Kyla Scathach Sir Eberwolf Kinniger

“The people that made us what we are we’re working on something else. I don’t have all the details but..” Kyla began pausing for a moment to fully recollect her thoughts and memories.

“They wanted to do something to us..Everyone in our program.. They called it “the turning point.” but even people like us couldn’t handle the strain of whatever it was. They would sometimes combust in their cells when they were returned from the experiment chambers. They would leave this.”

She said crouching once more to the ground and pointing at the thick black substance that seemed to have joined Ferelith’s own blood.

“It would be everywhere..” She muttered.

Though unlike the blood of say Heikes this black ooze seemed to have a mind of its own. It would latch onto the red blood even on the ground. It was slight movement but noticeable on closer inspection.

“Cell mates that got covered in it often fell ill and died rapidly as well. While they were awake they would argue with people that weren’t there and they couldn’t say the full names of people. Perhaps Brynn hoped to bring this plague to us in the camp. Did she behave strangely? Have any strange marking? Anything?”

Kyla continued as she kept up her search. The path of destruction ended here. Unless she had stopped she would be here. She called to the hound. “Help me find her boy.” She asked the dog as she waited for Heikes answers.

“Help me find her boy.” She asked the dog as she waited for Heikes answers.

The dog gave a dutiful yip, a surprising sound for such a large creature, and got to work, one nose to the ground the other two in the air, all sniffing. It took all of four seconds for them to pick up the scent, and he followed it.

He put a second nose to the ground while the third remained airborne to keep it more easily. The dog followed the trail to the woman they searched for, and he sat down, waiting for Kyla to catch up and do something.

• Yay
Was there simply no end to the evil perpetrated by Bryn and her ilk? What Kyla was saying was difficult to listen to, even more so than the previous crisis involving the parasite and the ailment. Heike was far from one who placed their faith in the gods and goddesses of Arethil, but this sounded nothing short of unholy. Tinkering on living people like a torturer gone mad with his tools, human beings horrifically bursting into flame often as a result, the quivering black blood-like ooze that brought illness and death upon touch.

This was the consequence of falling prey to the seductive allure of power. This is what every true Reikhurstan rightly feared. Bryn and her ilk had likely convinced themselves that this was all for some great betterment for Arethil or for themselves, or perhaps they were honest and did not toy with pretense, knowing full well that they sought terrible knowledge and power for its own sake.

And this pursuit turned them into monsters akin to the vampires who slaughtered the citizens of Reikhurst without mercy. The gallows seemed almost an insufficient punishment for their like.

All of these concerns were readily reflected in Heike's expression as Kyla explained, and she walked stiffly alongside her as she continued on with the search. The three-headed hound had appeared to pick up a scent as well.

Did she behave strangely? Have any strange marking? Anything?

Heike brought a palm to her temple as she thought back. "Behaving strangely...not that I can remember. Nothing seemed amiss. We came back to the camp, resolved to get ourselves cleaned of the filth from the refuse tunnel at once. I didn't notice any--"

This one was different...was an angry dark grey. And looked..Fresher than the others. It was quickly swept away from view as she decided to toss her hair back to the other side covering it. “Go on..” She said gesturing for Heike to go.

"--strange markings..."

Heike's eyes darted around in a downward direction--left, right, left, right--as she tried to recall every little detail she could. Her voice had the hollowness of a sudden realization as she said, "I did not give this one any special consideration. It seemed like the other scars. Or like a bruise perhaps. It was this...gray mark. I saw it for a fleeting moment before her hair covered it."

Heike stopped when the hound stopped, and through the grayscale world of her nightvision she could see Ferelith there, lying on the ground. Unconscious? Or...? She cast a brief look to Kyla, then back.

"Ferelith," she said, her tone a near perfect mixture of firmness and disquiet.

“I see..” Kyla said grimly before continuing her search.

She didn’t say more.

She didn’t need to.

“Heike?” Ferelith gasped slowly beginning to move. Even struggling to pull her self up for a moment as her eyes snapped open.

“I..I’m sorry about what I said to you..I couldn’t bare for that to be the last thing I said to you..I respect your decision..I just don’t want to lose you..Just promise me you’ll come back..” She whispered. Sitting up her arms outstretched as she moved towards her. The hound began to growl stepping between Heike and Ferelith.

She had been kind to it and the hound had seemed to like her.. She seemed taken aback by this but kept her arms out and extended.

Begging to share an embrace with Hieke.
Kyla was coming as well standing behind Heike as she seemed weary. “Sister..” She said slowly. “Stay back.” She the looked to Heike. “Where was the mark..” She asked her gesturing at Ferelith.

"Left side. Back of her head," Heike said as an aside to Kyla. With any luck, Kyla could spot it and confirm whether or not their shared fear was warranted.

But.

Until then, it was best to act with caution. To assume that Kyla's concerns were indeed the truth of the matter. And that...foul, parasitic black ooze lent a heavy hand of credence to this nonetheless.

Heike did not move forward. She held her ground several paces away, kept her voice level and controlled, and said, "Ferelith, this may seem an odd question, but it must be asked. What is my full name?"

“Your full name?” Ferelith looked puzzled for a moment. “Why do you need me to..” She drifted off at Heikes unwavering gaze. Her arms dropped.

“So you told her..Kyla wasn’t it?” Ferelith finally looked Heike in the eye. Her eyes had no whites. No pupils. Only darkness. She moved so quickly it rendered her arm was a simple blur. Catching the downward slash of her sisters ax by the wrist. Halting the attack.

“They warned me about you.” She said coldly. Her voice almost seeming to be an echo of its former self. Kyla pulled her wrist free kicking her sister away in the process. The smaller woman being sent flying.

“This isn’t like the others!” Kyla yelled to the vampire. “Send the hound for his master and help me!” Kyla spat. Ferelith already pulling herself back up some distance away. “No. Not like the others. Not a failure.” She said with a giggle. Swishing her hair to the side to show her scar had only grown. Getting darker and branching even further than before.

“You see. This..hybrid subject..” She continued. “It seems to have been the match we were looking for..enough magic dampening to keep my power from over whealming her but just hardy and arcane dependent enough to allow me to fester. I should be thanking you really..so many failed attempts and the answers laid in a test subject we must judged..Well..They misjudged..I always knew these two would come to haunt me..” She said glaring at herself and Kyla pointedly.

“She’s the trial subject. The only one of her kind that can hold my presence. I don’t want her dying any more than either of you do.” She continued removing Fereliths weapons and raising her hands in surrender. “Just wanted you both to understand if you try to remove me I will kill her so quickly you won’t even have time to draw in a breath.” She finished.

Suddenly Ferelith sank to her knees. Her hair falling back into its usual style. The ugly black mark obscured once more. The darkness faded from her eyes as they returned to their normal light blue. “She talks...Way too...Much..” She muttered before finally seeming to be allowed to be released into the darkness of her mind.

No need, Kerberos heard Kyla's order and followed it. He bolted off, a lot faster than something his size should be able to, and once a good distance closer to the fort he began to howl.

Eberwolf heard it, and immediately mounted Thunder. The gates were opened to him and his horse galloped after the howling. Within minutes he found Kerberos, who in turn lead him to the three women. And he arrived just in time to see Ferelith sink to her knees. He dismounted and approached the group.

"What happened?" He asked, keeping his eyes on Ferelith.

Syvis sat hidden..watching..

“Gosh, I feel so creepy.” She thought to herself, she wasn’t really creepy, she just had no clue what was happening. So she sat, out of sight watching the group of people. They looked sad? She wasn’t sure how they all looked to be honest.

“It’s better to observe...people can be dangerous.” She thought, her left hand instinctively reaching for the dagger on the belt of her dress. “What’s a dagger going to do against these people Syvis…? They look like warriors, and you’re a wandering thief.”

Kyla’s mind was working so furiously one could almost see the smoke coming from her ears. She eyed “Ferelith..” with an expression that was nothing short of lost.

“I’m not sure what happened..” She said after a dragging moment of silence. “This is beyond even what I know of my sister and her ilk. This is..different..”

She spoke the word like it was disgusting. A kind of different that lent itself to being beyond description for all the wrong reasons. Was her sister dead? Had it been this..

Whatever it was.. She had no idea. She had been laboring under the impression it was some sort of weaponized form of the disease they used to keep her kind in check, but it seemed she had been wrong. Very wrong. What this was..It made her previous dark picture look like optimistic day dreaming.

How her sister had moved..Spoken..It was as if her sister was here, but miles away at the same time..Kyla was always prepared. Three steps ahead of everyone. It was how she kept control.

Stayed alive.

But this left her feeling like she had been left miles behind.

Her hand shook as she reached for Eberwolfs own. Her own eyes leaving Ferelith’s long enough to glance around them. Her eyes scanned across the tree line

She sniffed the air like a hunter..

A wolf some might say.. She shook her head dismissing it.

It also gave him a chance to see the distress on her face before her eyes were once more on her sisters form.

“I’ll..get it..her....Her.” Kyla said walking slowly towards her sisters body and picking her up. “Let’s go.” She said before readying to leave. Her coin purse fell from her belt as she did so.

A hefty plop as it struck the ground.

She didn’t notice as she held her sister close. For a moment if they really looked hard..One could almost see a young fiery haired girl clutching her smaller blonde sister..like all those years ago when she had pulled her from the pile of bodies..The bodies of their friends...she walked.

The same fear she had had then..The not knowing.. “Stay strong sister..” She said softly. Her sisters hand drifting to Kyla’s own like the motion of a sleep walker. It found her hand. Have it a light brush before falling limp once more.

Syvis watched the strange woman pick up an unconscious woman and continue forward. She didn’t have time to focus on the women as her ears pricked up when she heard the familiar thunk of many coins hitting the ground, dampened by a cloth surrounding them.

“Perfect” Syvis gleaned to herself as she scampered quickly and precisely to where the woman once stood. Hiding behind whatever coverage she could locate.

“This is such an easy steal, and with the sounds of it I’ll be fed for months.” Syvis thought as she made a swipe at the fallen coin purse.

Her hand shook as she reached for Eberwolfs own. Her own eyes leaving Ferelith’s long enough to glance around them. Her eyes scanned across the tree line

She sniffed the air like a hunter..

A wolf some might say.. She shook her head dismissing it.

It also gave him a chance to see the distress on her face before her eyes were once more on her sisters form.

“I’ll..get it..her....Her.” Kyla said walking slowly towards her sisters body and picking her up. “Let’s go.” She said before readying to leave. Her coin purse fell from her belt as she did so.

Eberwolf took her hand to comfort her, his left clasping her right gently. He too saw Ferelith's current state, and while he did not see it all, Kyla calling her 'it' had done plenty to explain that something was very wrong. She went to collect Ferelith, and he in turn clicked for his horse, who came over, and he helped Kyla onto his back, she and Ferelith needed the ride far more than he did. The he heard Kerberos growling.

“This is such an easy steal, and with the sounds of it I’ll be fed for months.” Syvis thought as she made a swipe at the fallen coin purse.

She got to the purse, only to find a three headed dog the size of a horse right behind her, all three heads lowered and growling at the thief. The scraping of steel on leather and the slow shhhhiiiing of a sword being drawn from its sheath was heard in front of her, moments before the cold and prickly sensation of a sword tip being pressed under her chin followed.

"And just who are you?" He said to her.

If she were to look up she'd see a man in full plate harness completely painted white, with his Principe longsword aimed directly at her throat. His sugarloaf (domed) greathelm leaving next to know indicators about his actual intent or attitude, but one could guess that he was not happy.