Private Tales The Urathiin Syndicate

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Jeremiah watched in brief confusion as Melody spoke of her sister appearing. "Complicated?" He said. He knew something was up with them from the get go due to the unrealistic likeness of the two and how twins had their differences still. But what transpired is not something he would have guessed.

The automaton did figure it out quickly. Another loud clanking of his hands together followed by a laugh of absolute wonderment. "I can hardly believe it! You are both Faith and Melody! How's such a thing possible? Are you human? It doesn't matter I just love that I have two companions!" He laughed yet again.

Then, he dropped to one knee and held his hat to his chest with his head down before Faith.

"My dearest Faith. I hope that you can forgive my actions on the day that we met. I hope you know that I only do what I believe to be best for those around, and I struggle with letting men like that walk free."

• Yay
Reactions: Rämna Sisters
Faith allowed herself a quiet laugh. Jeremiah was such a wonderfully animated character, and she had missed that. When he dropped to his knee she looked at him kindly, but with remorse.

"I understand, Jeremiah, and I hope you can forgive me for leaving so suddenly. I did not think of how Vel Anir would see a man like you in such a situation. I am afraid I let my distaste for violence cloud my judgement." She offered a hand so that Jeremiah might stand again.

"And yes, we are human. At least... I believe we are. I truly don't know how we exist in such a way, but we have made it work as best we can." A mental scoff from Melody. She did not agree that Faith was handling things in the "best" way. "I am sorry I did not tell you before. My sister can be... impulsive. But it would seem we have a shared goal for once."

She looked up at the night sky. It was clear, and the stars were numerous. "I so rarely get to see the stars. The night is Melody's time." She gazed for a time, and then returned her thoughts to the surface. "I suspect she will need to return soon. I heard something of a game? Do take care. I trust you, Jeremiah, but Melody can be... dangerous. To herself and to others."

Jeremiah took her hand softly and rose like the gentleman he is to his feet before Faith. He couldn't be mad at her for her decisions when they happened. He displayed his ugly side a bit too quickly and to someone he knew he shouldn't have. Her asking for forgiveness was almost too much for him.

"Oh my dearest Faith!" He cried out, leaving dozens in the area severely confused as to how this was all unfolding. "You are far too kind! I am undeserving of your forgiveness and of course of course OF COURSE you can have mine! It is much too wonderful to see you again, you and your sister both have become such monumental people in my life and I will do whatever it takes to help you both through this ordeal!" His voice was... Strange. Sort of a regal crying. As if he was delivering an obituary in a play.

The automaton listened closely to her information, a hand to his chin. Interesting how they were both creatures unaware of how their existences. This friendship was a match made in heaven! Their senses of right collaborating as well, oh, Jeremiah knew it was fate!

"Soak them in Faith!" He shouted, thrusting his hands to the stars. "They are a beautiful, aren't they? And their mother moons imposed to the background! I hope Melody offers you another opportunity to-"

"HEADS UP, FUCKO!"
A bolt of pure energy shot from the left side of Jeremiah and sent him tumbling. A horribly sinister laugh erupted from the same direction. The automaton stood up but faltered, noticing a dent in his leg now.

"Curses. It'll take me ages to find someone who can fix this."

"Nah, I wouldn't worry bout' that."
The voice of the laugh called back. Jeremiah looked up to see a man, no older than twenty, wearing two of the same bracelets the Enforcer had been wearing. Behind him was a gaggle of four men. Each of them with a bracelet and an insignia with two skulls, except the young one.

His had three. The rest of the people in the vicinity besides one woman sprinted away from this afraid. They were openly terrified of this man.

"Sup'. Name's Rory. Urathiin Syndicate Lieutenant. A little birdy was quick t'inform of us of the two of you," A finger wagging between Jeremiah and Faith, "have been causing a real ruckus. Even killed a good number of our Grunts." The Lieutenant looked down at the K.O'd Enforcer.

"Tsk, we really lettin' slackers like this get a bracelet nowadays? Ol' man Fromiere ain't gonna like that." He finished his sentence and walked over to Faith and the knocked out Enforcer, where he promptly stomped the head of the man in over and over until it was nothing but pulp. One of the Enforcers he brought with him ran over and started cleaning his boot with a rag from his pocket. Rory lifting his leg as if he knew this was going to happen.

This man was clearly dangerous. His gaze fixated on Faith right afterwards. He let out a cat-calling whistle.

"Well, well, well. Looks like we got quite the fire wench causin' us issues. Here's a deal for ya, I'll let ya live, and you'll live chained up in my chambers, mmmmkay?" Another hideous laugh escaped this psychopath.

• Dwarf
Faith jumped back as the bolt struck Jeremiah. The pop in the air hurt her ears, and she could smell hot metal. She regretted that her magic would do no good for his injuries. She could only heal flesh, not mend steel.

She moved backwards to regroup with her fallen comrade. The group of men wore the same getup as the first enforcer: clothing that was at once fine and utilitarian. The small man in the middle, though, his emblem was more prominent than the others. It seemed to have a shine to it, like it was metal instead of simply stitched on.

Their enemies had a name now. The Urathiin Syndicate. It sounded as sinister as they looked. Faith felt her stomach churn once again at the threat of capture. Did they have no other threats for her but this disgusting repetition? Seeing Jeremiah on the ground, hearing the jeers of the gangsters. It made her angry. She had practiced controlling such feelings from a young age. The angrier she became the more likely Melody would take the reins, but Melody would be welcome now, and she felt her face grow hotter.

Already she could feel the eagerness from her sister. The savage, animal indulgence she allowed herself. Let me kill them, came the thought, almost hissed through her subconscious.

Faith wanted to let her out, wanted her to hurt these men. Could Melody and Jeremiah beat them? She had felt the previous battle as if through a very thick fog, but it seemed like a single enforcer had given them trouble. She spoke quietly, so that only Jeremiah could hear her.

"Can we beat them, or should we run?" She hoped that his leg would not prevent him from moving.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Jeremiah
Jeremiah could move, it seemed. Just maybe not as gracefully. He could fight too. Which he knew would be unavoidable when surrounded by men like this. They were not in good standing to win was the issue. Whoever this lieutenant was, he was a big problem. That magic was powerful and hit him hard. And the man didn't seem to be even trying. Whereas the two of them struggled with bring down one of the lackeys, which this Rory had brought four of.

The automaton had no time to think, only act. If it was Faith's consciousness still around she may not be as good for a head on fight, but he knew she could be spry and tactful. That was their only advantage. Well, they had one other. Rory's overconfidence. He was young and brash. His position likely given to him way of familial reasons. The strength he had only existed due to the bracelets he bore. And Jeremiah could probably deflect most of his attacks. However, that still left the fact that they were brutally outnumbered. Calculations ran through his head as fast as he could muster.

He grabbed Faith's hand without word, and bolted into a nearby alleyway leading to a more residential area.

"HEY WHAT THE FUCK." Could be heard shouted from Rory's mouth as another bolt was shot from his hands, nearly taking off Jeremiah's head but he was luckily able to dodge.

Once they were away from the main scene he pulled her aside, they had only seconds.

"For the time being we have to split up. Do not stray too far, it's impossible to tell who will follow who. We have to think on our feet. If at any moment it gets too dangerous call for me. We will survive this." His voice was still in its normal jaunty accent but his tone dramatically changed. Perhaps the first time he'd been serious in a fight in a long time. With these words he let go of her hand and bolted across the eyeline of all the men so they would see where to follow. He looked back to make sure Faith was going the opposite way.

They would be on their own for a second.

• Scared
Faith followed Jeremiah without questioning. It was a wise decision not to face the men head on. Flashbacks of her first encounter with Jeremiah filled her mind, of running after, not away from, ruffians not unlike these. Jeremiah seemed such an upstanding man, how did he always manage to find trouble? Perhaps was the nature of being a good man in a world that was so often evil.

She nodded as he spoke, but apprehension was evident on her face. The had felt the bolt rush past her to strike Jeremiah, smelled the hot air and electricity surrounding it. Jeremiah may have survived only due to his construction, she was unlikely to be so lucky. "We will reunite soon," she answered, equal parts a request and a promise. After he left, she turned.

Did you hear all of that?

I got it.

Good.

Her eyes closed, and she wavered unsteadily for a moment. She almost fell, but caught herself. Her eyes opened with a new light behind them. She blinked, steadying herself. Having both minds active for this long was beginning to take its toll, but Melody was far better suited to the tasks ahead.

She ran, and she was fast. The group of men had reached them. "Follow the girl!" she heard Rory bark at his henchmen, and two of them split off to chase her. Evidently he believed Jeremiah to be the greater threat and chose to pursue the automaton himself.

Melody rounded a corner as a burst of light hit the ground by her foot. It was not as powerful as Rory's had been, but it would certainly have hurt. She could hear the men behind her, and she continued to rush down side streets. A few windows had opened at the commotion and were quickly shuttered when they saw who was chasing her. She would get no help here, the people were too terrified of the syndicate.

Rounding another corner she leapt behind an abandoned market stall, crouching low. She needed to get back to Jeremiah, but she couldn't bring these men, that would just put them back in the same situation. They would have to be eliminated. Fighting head on would be difficult, so let's see how easy they were to trick.

Within moments the two sets of heavy footfalls came rushing around the corner. "Fuck, where'd she go?

"That way,"
pointed another. "She must have gone down that alley."

When they had both passed the stall, Melody leapt out lightly. Her cloth and leather clothes made her quiet, and and crept up behind the trailing goon.

She gathered as much energy as she could in her fist. She felt it siphoning from the rest of her body, building into a focal point of explosive, divine justice. Risky to put so much power into one strike, but she wasn't about to let him get up after this.

She jumped, and the man heard her. Too late, her fist came crashing into the side of his head as he turned with a brilliant flash and a crack. The force of it whipped Melody's hair and cloak back, and she shut her eyes tight against the harsh light. Her target hit the ground hard, and his partner was blown off his feet by the blast.

His face was badly burned where she had struck him, and while he was breathing, he was out cold. His partner, on the other hand, began to get up, cursing at her. Frantically, Melody reached down the unconcious man's arms. On the left wrist closest to her: nothing. The other one then, it must have the silver band.

Her other enemy had gotten to his feet, and she tore off the bracelet. He walked towards her with murder in his eyes. "Boss wants you alive? He'll understand if I blame it on Judson, here." No time to worry about the repercussions. Melody clamped the bracelet on her wrist. She immediately felt a warmth fill her hand and forearm, and it dwindled to a pleasant tingling in her shoulder.

"He hit the poor lass too hard!" As he swung with crushing force, Melody met his fist with her own. An explosion several times more powerful than the one she had just created broke out, and both she and her assassin were thrown back. "What the..." he sputtered, and saw the glowing bracelet on Melody's wrist just before it faded. "No! Take that off!"

Melody lifted her wrist and turn it over, examining the band. It fit perfectly. Impossible... it had just been on a much larger wrist. There was an aura around her hand, almost invisible, but definitely there.

"I dunno, I kind of like it," she called back. "Didn't you know? Women like presents like this," and she darted forwards. She was fast. Traces of divine magic, stored by Faith, trickled into her muscles as she leapt and swung with the wristband.

This time the man blocked and it only glanced off the side of his own magical gauntlet, so the impact caused but a shower of sparks. Melody kept moving, hammering at him with her newly invincible fist again and again.

Finally, he caught her wrist with his unarmed hand. Strong as she was, she could not break free from his grip. He pushed her to the ground, kneeling over her, pinning her arm. He smiled an evil grin in victory. "That hand won't be givin' me no more trouble!" he bellowed.

"Yeah, but you forgot about this one." Melody's left hand had shot up and grabbed the side of his face. His eyes opened wide in surprise.

"W-"

A burst of light shot from her palm and the mafioso's head melted away.

With great effort Melody extracted herself from beneath the heavy corpse. She had to get back to Jeremiah. The rooftops seemed like a good option. She searched for a way to climb.

Jeremiah looked back when he heard Rory's call. Two chased after Rämna Sisters which was as good as he could expected. He now had Rory and two of his goons on him. For five opponents that was an easy split. The goons shouldn't be too bad, it was this little wiz kid he had to conjure an idea for. While he thought, he bolted down another alley way and immediately ducked behind a bin of compost.

The three followed swiftly, too swiftly, which was what he wanted. The trailing of the three was a goon. Who he easily grabbed from behind, covering his mouth and wrapping his arm around his throat. He wasted no time snapping the mans neck and throwing his limp body to the ground. The thud of the corpse alerted Rory and his remaining ally, who turned promptly around.

"Really?" Rory yelled while running, "You gotta kill all my fuckin' bodyguards today?" Jeremiah paid no mind and kept the chase going. Luring them into other alleyways without looking back. Quite possibly a mistake he'd later pay for, as Rory stopped the pursuit. The goon did not see his leader stop running and kept following. When Jeremiah finally looked behind him, he saw only the goon heading straight for him. Like the mindless oaf he was, the Enforcer continued charging. Jeremiah planted the foot from his injured leg straight into his nose, causing him to fall backwards and slide forward past Jeremiah due to momentum. The automaton shook his leg in admiration. Guess it was fine after all.

He moved quickly towards the knocked over buffoon and gave him one solid punch to the head, killing the man instantly.

As he rose, he was struck immediately in the shoulder from another bolt coming from above him. Jeremiah flattened into the ground with a large grunt. A new dent now formed somewhere else. When he went to look up, Rory was already on top of him. The young Lieutenant grabbed Jeremiah by his head and effortlessly threw him into the building behind him. Damaging the brick and leaving Jeremiah to struggle up again.

"You know," Rory started as he threw Jeremiah into the building parallel like he was but a doll. "I reallllly wanted to have this job be an easy one. No fuss, no mess, and I could go back to dumping Fromiere's money on brothels. But you two just haaaaaaad to go and make trouble for me."

"When I break you boy it's going to be slo-"
Before Jeremiah could finish Rory's hand shoved the automatons face further through the brick.

"This that, you get revenge, etcetera, etcetera." Rory sighed, like he'd heard it a thousand times. "Just for the sake of cliches, I'll give you one fun little piece of information before I take you apart, bronze man. These bracelets," He pointed to his wrist. "Amplify magic by five fold. Now you do the math. I have two so... Ten fold for me. They can even give magic to those without it." He grabbed Jeremiah's head, throwing his hat to the ground and stomping on it.

"Now imagine this: A man who can create these bracelets with a fraction of a fraction of his magic. THAT'S Fromiere. THAT'S who you two decided to fuck with. Even if you were strong enough to stop me, which you are NOT, you'd have several more like me to get through before you even messed with our boss. Are you getting the picture yet, scrap heap?" He took Jeremiah's head and slammed it straight into the cobblestone alley, planting his foot on the back of it and pushing down.

"I'll give ya one thing, creep. You sure were spry."

• Scared
Melody had scaled a rain gutter to reach the rooftops. Thank goodness for Anirian infrastructure. The clay tiles clinked and clanttered beneath her boots, only occasionally breaking. She was light on her feet, and was able to leap across small alleys and over chimneys.

She had gotten quite turned around during her own chase. Where was Jeremiah? That creep had been following him, and he was worth at least two of the goons she had just finished. She hoped her metal friend would be able to hold his own long enough for her to find him.

Faith must have done some real good during the day, because karma seemed fit to give Melody a break. She saw a bright, but brief, flash of light from a rooftop just a few blocks away. It had to be him.

The closer she got, the more she could hear. The unmistakable sound of metal against stone. Please just be punching the walls.

She crept along the final roof and peered down. Rory was standing with his boot on Jeremiah’s head, the iconic tophat in a heap beside them.

”I’ll give ya one thing, creep. You sure were spry.”

A rage swelled up inside her, fueled in no small part by Faith’s own connection with the automaton. Without thinking things through she swung down from the rooftop directly over Rory, yelling in fury. She swung her braceleted hand down like a hammer.

Rory’s head snapped up as she yelled and he raised his arms in an “x” to block her strike. There was another flash and a crack of lightning, and Melody’s arm was thrown back, sending her into the wall and down to her knees.

Rory stumbled back, knocked off balance but not off his feet. He brought his arms down, breathing hard. The bracelets were both glowing. And then… he started to laugh.

”Aha… ahahaha HAHAHAHAHA!!!” A maniacal, insane howl of laughter. Melody grit her teeth, clutching her right wrist. The bracelet that was once there had shattered, falling into dust on the ground beside her.

”I underestimated you!” Rory cackled. Within a second, his face fell from mirth to anger. ”You two have killed five of my enforcers today. No skin off my back, really, but that’s five more knuckleheads we have to train up and make bracelets for. No, I have had enough!

He stomped towards Melody. ”I’m gonna make you scream one way or another, you bitch.” She had just barely gotten back to her feet when Rory unleashed a flurry of blows at her. She ducked under a right hook but was caught in the side by the left, and knocked back down the alley by a blow to her face. She felt blood spurt from her nose as she stumbled back. She spit, and gritted her teeth, glaring at Rory. ”What a waste, you had such a pretty face.”

He reached her again. She avoided another blow and swung at him. He blocked her easily and grabbed her by the throat. Melody felt a hot, vibrating sensation in her neck from the bracelet’s magic. It smelled like burning metal and lightning.

She sputtered, clawing at his hand but unable to rip it off. She thrust her hand at his face, but he grabbed her wrist and diverted her magic blast into the side wall. He hit her hard in the stomach, and her legs went limp.

Rory turned back to Jeremiah dragging her along with him, gasping noiselessly, clutching at his wrist. ”How much do you think her neck can take before it snaps? Less than yours, I’d bet!” Melody’s eyes rolled back, and through the blurred tears she thought she saw someone on the rooftop.

A bolt of crimson lightning shot down from the sky and struck Rory’s wrist. The bracelet shattered, and he let Melody go with a yell. She fell to the ground gasping.

A figure wielding a long metal staff jumped down from the roof. He had a mane of unkempt gray hair falling to his shoulders and a silver beard. ”That’s enough, Rory,” he growled.

Rory scowled. ”This time imma kill you, old man!” He lashed out with his left hand, hurling an orb of light. The newcomer spun to the side and shot the second bracelet off with more red lightning from the staff.

Rory looked at his wrists, charred and naked. His eyes darted between Melody and Jeremiah on the ground, and this new sorcerer that was pointing the staff at him. He started to back away, pointing at them. ”You’re gonna suffer for this. Fromiere won’t just kill you, oh no, you’re gonna burn!” And with that, he turned and ran into the night.

The old man lowered his staff and stared after the boy until he was certain he was gone for good. Then he approached Melody. ”Can you walk?” She nodded silently, getting shakily to her feet. ”Good. And what of you, my fine sir?” he beckoned to Jeremiah.

• Wonder
"Do...n't..." Jeremiah reached out to Melody. He couldn't bear it. He couldn't watch her suffer like this. But he couldn't get up. He tried and tried and tried. His fist to the ground he could only barely lift himself up from the ground. His bronze body was shooting alarms throughout his carapace telling him to stay down.

If Jeremiah had the ability to cry, this would be a day that he sobbed relentlessly.

He was going to break this man. No matter what. And serendipitously, he may get the chance. His periphery was able to catch the lightning bolt from the sky, striking their foe in the wrist. He could barely make out the words said in the conversation as his ears were ringing.

Another bolt. What was happening? Were they being saved?

Can you walk?

They were. Someone came to their rescue.

Good. And what of you, my fine sir?

"I-I can try." The man reached a hand down and helped Jeremiah stand. Steam was going wild out his left eye and his shoulder. Magic arcing from his body; his suffering was visual..

"Who are you?"

• Scared
Her head ringing, blood gushing down her face, her throat hoarse and burning, Melody was thoroughly rattled. She stood next to this stranger, wavering unsteadily, trying not to focus on the pain from her broken nose. She needed Faith’s magic, but the adrenaline rushing through her was keeping her sister far away. She dabbed at her face with her cloak, gingerly avoiding the sorest areas.

The man helped Jeremiah to his feet. Though he grunted a bit in exertion, he lifted the heavy metal man smoothly. He was taller than Melody, but not quite as tall as Jeremiah. His clothes were black and damaged, but upon closer inspection it was clear that they used to be very fine. He wore a woolen doublet from which the sleeves had been torn to reveal sturdy, sinewy arms. His pants were likewise finely embroidered, but it was difficult to see through the dirt, dust, and tears. His boots had obviously received the most meticulous care, as they appeared more or less intact and were made of supple patterned leather.

He placed Jeremiah’s arm over his shoulders, helping to support him while doing his best to avoid the steam and magical arcs that shot from his body. ”I can’t say that I’ve ever seen something quite like you, friend, but I think I know where to take you.” He motioned for Melody to follow along. ”I know an artificer who may be able to help him, we must go quickly. They will be back.” His tone was quiet, but urgent.

Melody nodded wordlessly and walked alongside, picking up the crumpled hat from the cobblestones. What choice did she have? If this stranger had wanted to harm them he surely would not have rescued them. Even if he did have some ulterior motive, she would gladly take that over remaining in this alley even one second more.

”You may call me Marius,” he said in response to Jeremiah’s question. His tone was warmer when addressing the automaton, reassuring. ”I am glad to see people standing up to the Syndicate, but taking on a Lieutenant is not a smart move without the right equipment.” He shook his staff. ”What’s your name, chap?”

Melody looked at the weapon. It was not elegant at all. In fact, it looked like it had been assembled piece by piece in a slag yard. Most of it was a long metal rod. Large hexagonal bolts were clamped around either end, about a foot from the tip, and thin copper filaments were braided haphazardly from these to the ends of the staff. Marius had apparently wrapped some leather straps around the middle to form a sort of handgrip.

He lead the pair down dark streets for what felt like hours (although was more likely only a few minutes), finally guiding them down a damp staircase that descended below street level next to a featureless stone building. Marius knocked on an equally plain door, and waited.

After half a minute, a small hole opened in the door, and the light from within shone out in a thin beam onto Marius’ face. The hole abruptly closed, and the door itself was finally opened. He beckoned Melody through and followed with Jeremiah.

It was a shockingly large and brightly lit room. The many stone pillars, arches, and low ceiling revealed the place as a cellar, but it had been converted into something else entirely. Shelves lined every wall and were absolutely stuffed with scrolls, baubles, and strange looking tools. Several workbenches were laid out in a seemingly haphazard way, and the gentle hum of machinery could be heard from every corner.

The door shut heavily behind them, followed by the sounds of many locks and latches. Melody turned to see a short, plump man with a thick leather apron close the final bolt and approach Marius. He wore heavy gloves that went to his elbows and large goggles that made his eyes appear several times larger than they actually were, and they peered out from beneath a messy mop of graying brown hair.

“What on Arethil have you found, Marius?!” he exclaimed. “Why, it’s magnificent! Here, bring him here.” He lead the pair to one of the workbenches which he unceremoniously cleared, shoving the contents onto shelves that were already quite full. “Lie him down. Now… let’s see what we have. Hello there! Can you tell me your name?”

Marius returned to Melody, offering her a seat on a small couch. He ducked into a side room and returned with a metal bowl and a rag, and set about cleaning up her face. She winced as he neared her nose. “Your nose will be crooked, and your neck will be bruised for some time, but nothing serious.” His voice was deep and paternal, and was quite comforting. After he was satisfied with his work, he set the bowl and cloth down. Both had been dyed red.

“Rest now, and in the morning, you will tell me why you picked a fight with the biggest crime family this side of Vel Anir.”

Melody was out like a light.

• Thoughtful
"You'd be amazed how often I hear that." Jeremiah spoke back to the man, hoping to lighten the mood as best he could considering the atrocious circumstances. They were alive. That was really all that mattered in the end. And this man was the cause of such a miracle.

"We are grateful to you, Marius. Which is but an understatement. You may call me Jeremiah." After the exchange of pleasantries Jeremiah more than happily followed Marius, happy only that the Rämna Sisters were in one piece. It could have easily ended up a different route. The pair followed Marius down a strange place and once the door opened it was clear to Jeremiah this was an artificers workplace. The shop had a very familiar look to it as it vaguely resembled the workshop he was made it, albeit much less extravagant.

Then, the worker in the place immediately took notice and wonder of Jeremiah, asking him to move swiftly to the table. It was a necessity, he supposed as repairs were in order.

"I am Jeremiah, friend."

"Wondrous! Wondrous! What is your make? Are you steel? No, no, the color is enough to give that away... Mmm... Copper? A copper automaton?"

"A what?"

"My, don't you know what you are my friend! You are a miracle of science!"

The two were locked in conversation for a long time. There were things Jeremiah learned he had not known before of himself. Yet, he couldn't shake the thought of Melody's injuries. He adjourned the topic until she was awake, and sat by her side while she rested.

• Yay
Marius watched as his partner worked. The man was a genius, and never let anyone forget it. He had built the staff that had shattered Rory’s bracelets, among many other strange and incredible objects.

After a time, it was clear that he was out of his depth. Jeremiah and his “doctor” spoke of things he could hardly make sense of, and so he returned to the sleeping woman on the couch. He had managed to find a thick yet moth-eaten quilt with which to cover her, and she was sleeping peacefully. How regrettable that someone so young had been drawn into this war, but, such was the nature of these things, he supposed. Once she was awake, and the metal man repaired, he would need to ask them some questions, and, he suspected, answer many more.

Faith awoke an hour after sunrise. She felt like her head had been a drum in a very enthusiastic street performance. She couldn’t breath through her nose, and when she touched her face to investigate she was met with blinding pain and congealed blood.

Through her blurry eyes she saw Jeremiah sitting over her. His glowing eyes were easy to pick out anywhere, and he looked as dapper as ever. She tried to speak his name, but only a hoarse rasping sound came from her throat. She had not realized how much it hurt. She pushed herself up to a sitting position, grimacing as her body protested. Melody always left Faith to clean up her messes… but at least they were alive. The last thing she remembered was running with Jeremiah…

She placed a hand gently over her face, and another at her throat. She took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. Gentle yellow light emanated from her palms as she did so. Her nose cracked and shifted as bones were put back in their proper pace and knitted together, and copious amounts of backed up blood was freed and fell onto the quilt. The bruising around her throat faded away, and the swelling shrank back down into her original slender neck.

Her hands fell heavily, and she opened newly clear eyes. She could now see that they were in a very strange place after all, and an unfamiliar man in black clothing was approaching them.

”Jeremiah, please tell me what happened. Did you defeat them? Where are we?”

Marius sat next to the pair. ”I didn’t think you hit your head that hard,” he said, looking confused. There were things he needed to tell these two about the syndicate.

Last edited:
"I can't hardly believe that." Jeremiah spoke with surprise in his mechanical voice. The man, Axel as he had learned through their talks and Jeremiah's repairs, explained to him about a great excavation that took place in a quest regarding an area known as the Shattered City. That other beings like himself were discovered taking people, that his body was reminiscent of what they were. What didn't make sense was his age. He'd lived much longer than the others discovered. Were they newer than him? There were still many questions, but progress was made in his search and he knew what to ask about.

Their conversation was cut short by Faith's voice, though that was very welcome to Jeremiah as he was beyond relieved to hear she was okay. She seemed to not share direct memories with Melody from the question, so he would try to keep her secret with his explanation. Even Marius noticed something off.
He stood up and rolled his arm with a hearty laugh.

"I'm so glad to see you okay, my friend! Unfortunately we are far from out of the woods yet. I doubt we've seen the last of those rapscallions! On that note..." He turned to Marius.

"Can you in any way explain to us who they are?"

• Yay
Faith wore a look of concern at Jeremiah's words. She had not been witness to the battle beforehand, but she felt a deep disquiet from the depths of her mind, and she knew that Melody was hurting. Combined with the severity of the wounds she had awoken with, she knew that their encounter must have been terrible. Jeremiah looked no worse for wear, though, and so she hoped that he had managed to fight off the ruffians at least.

She turned to Marius, his face grave. "Please," she said, and her kind face broke him.

They are called the Urathiin Syndicate. A family with ties deep into the ruling houses. You won't find anything on paper so don't bother looking. They are lead by a man named Fromiere, but he keeps his hands well out of the dirt, using his lieutenants and enforcers to carry out his will." There was hatred in his eyes, an anger that had once upon a time burned hot, but that had become cold and black with time. "The family has preyed on the people of this city for generations, and I will fight until my dying breath to see their reign broken."

Faith peered at him with emerald eyes. She reached out and placed a hand over his. His skin was rough with a lifetime of wear. She suspected they were not always so, and like the clothes he wore she figured at one point they were likely soft and fine. "Sir... I apologize that for my memory, I must have taken a blow..." she cut herself off, closing her eyes. These people had obviously helped them and there was no time for games. "No... no the truth is I do not remember last night because I was not there. My sister lives in this body at night, and I during the day. My name is Faith." She raised her hand at Marius' look of bewilderment. "I know how it sounds, but this is the truth of things. Please, tell me, who do you fight with and how can we help?"

Marius wasn't sure how to respond at first. He looked to Jeremiah, then to Axel (who shrugged), and finally back to the woman. "Well, uh, Miss Faith... it is just us. Me, Axel there, and the twins. They should be here soon. Nobody wants to fight the syndicate. They are all too afraid."

Faith's set her face. It was a look of determination that she only wore when facing great challenges, when she needed the most faith in herself. "We are not afraid."

• Thoughtful
Jeremiah had felt Melody's turmoil, and worried that maybe his joyous self was not what the moment needed. There was pain in the air and while he believed a happy tone did wonders in times of disdain perhaps he needed to be a bit more empathetic today. The automaton listened closely to what Marius had said. If this were the truth, even if they toppled this syndicate, it's possible they would receive backlash from the houses. It'd be best to leave Vel Anir for a long while after this was done with, but he'd bring that conversation up when the time was right.

Apparently they'd have allies in this. Even more than who stood in the area currently. Whoever the twins were he'd still feel guilty about asking them to be in the front lines.

"Sir Marius, Sir Axel." He walked over and stood by Faith. "We have already placed our faces and lives on the line against this neerdowells. All we need is to know what we're up against. That Rory fellow had quite a bit of strength."

"Ah yes, Rory."
Axel clicked his tongue. "Man's quite a problem. Those gauntlets have created a great deal of trouble for all of us. However they are just technology imbued with magic. Any piece of artifice can only handle so much magic before it bursts. They can be overloaded."

Marius's mouth twitched at the corner as Axel spoke. "My associate is being modest. The devices of the syndicate are powerful, and he is the only one who had been able to disarm them so easily." He took a few steps aside and retrieved the strange metal pole he had been wielding in the ally, they one that had sent a bolt of red lightning to shatter Rory's bracelets. "He built this. I have no idea how it works, but it has never failed."

He set the staff back against the wall and sat beside Faith. He sighed a very tired sigh. "The Urathiin are wealthy and have great influence. Acquiring these artifacts is easy for them until recently. No matter how many we destroy, they will always be able to supply more. Which means you'll need a way to destroy them in every encounter." He nodded to Axel, who began rummaging around.

Marius continued. "But it won't be enough to fight their soldiers, there are too many. We need to get to Fromiere himself. We need bring the whole thing down from the top."

Faith was quiet as he spoke. She did not like violence, and although she had mended her injuries her head still ached. She knew this was the right course of action, though. It had to be. These people preyed on the vulnerable, and they needed to be stopped.

She stood. "If you will excuse me, I must pray. I should return shortly." She needed to think this over, and so she stepped into a small side area of the room, behind a few shelves and desks for privacy. She knelt and closed her eyes, resting her hands palms-up in her lap. Her breathing quieted, and she focused on the light. Despite the evils they had witness, there was Good in the world, guided by the Holy Creator. She focused on this, gave thanks for this, and asked that her god once again bless her with a fraction of his might so that she may carry out Their will on Arethil.

Her prayer was answered. A rush of energy filled her, and her entire body tingled with divine power. Her hair moved as if in a gentle wind, though none was present, and her eyes flashed briefly as she received the heavenly gift.

Rejuvenated, she returned to the three men with a new light in her face.

"In truth, it may not be as easy as it sounds." Axel mused, rubbing his chin. "I have extra of these weapons. They essentially concentrate magical energy to an extreme density, and rather than attack with it, it imbues magic into whatever it strikes. It's a bit of a double edged sword, you see. If you hit your opponent directly you may accidentally make them stronger. But the stronger the gauntlet, the more damage that can be done to it. If it is of the highest level it cannot fit much more magic into itself but the amount that these staffs imbue never changes. You'd likely blow their whole arm off."

Jeremiah listened to the two of them talk trying to see how he could couple that with his ability to eradicate magic. It was difficult, since his ability was limited to a wall shape. He fluffed his jacket.
"Do not fret! I am an excellent combatant and shan't miss a shot with these weapons! I'll be sure to show Fromiere just who he's crossed!" A confident laugh escaped him as he spoke of defeating the syndicate. In truth, he was extremely worried. As Faith made her way to pray, Jeremiah heard the opening of a door and a loud "WOULD YA LOOK AT THAT?" He turned to see a man and woman about Faith's age with similar haircuts and very similar faces standing in the door way. This must be the twins they had mentioned.

"Opal can you believe it! Axel's gone and made a metal man!" The boy shouted next to his sister, who didn't seem amused in the slightest despite her brother being floored with excitement. The boy dropped his bag of things and sprinted to shake Jeremiah's hand as his sister rolled her eyes.

"Nice to meet you Mr. Bronze? Can I call you Mr. Bronze? Is that offensive? How did you make him Axel? This is a breakthrough, wow! Can you punch through walls, huh, huh?!"

Jeremiah found his hand being shaken vigorously as this young man's eyes looked upon him in wonder.

• Haha
Opal stepped forwards and violently pulled her brother off of Jeremiah. "Give him some space, ya id'jit!" She gave him an incredulous look, but then she, too, turned to Jeremiah. "But can you punch through walls??"

"Opal! Jasper!" Marius ordered their attention, and the pair froze and looked at him with sheepish expressions. The old man sighed. "This is Jeremiah, and this," he indicated Faith with his hand as she returned, "Is Faith." He still appeared quite confused by the news she had told him regarding her sister, and his expression betrayed a suspicion that the woman he had saved might not be entirely sane.

"How do you do?" Faith asked the pair, bending her knees just a touch in greeting.

"I picked them up last night taking on a lieutenant." Axel mouthed "Rory" to the pair and Marius shot him a dirty look as the twins' faces lit up in horror and intrigue all at once. "He got away, but they took out his enforcers. They have agreed to help us."

The twins were silent for moment, it was a lot to take in so early in the morning. Finally, Opal leaned in to Jasper's ear and whispered, "Well now we know he can punch through walls."

The automaton couldn't help but chuckle at Opal and Jasper. They had a lot of vigor and spunk for people going up against maddened criminals. It helped him think his own way of presenting himself was a bit less jarring. "You two are wondrous. It is true, I can punch my hand straight through brick! Perhaps other things as well but I don't make too much a habit out of property damage if I can help it." He followed this with another laugh.

The twins looked at each other confused for a second before Jasper spoke back up. "Well, ya see Mr. Bronze I actually didn't ask that rhetorically. We found something." Marius and Axel both shot up, Axel blaring at the new news.

"What is it? Did you find a piece of their lair?!"

"We think so... It's just..."

"Spit it out boy we haven't the time! Our days in secrecy are dwindling and staying defensive will change nothing!"

Jasper scoffed; "Listen, quack! You aren't doing reconnaissance, are you? No! Me and my sister have been the ones on the front lines before these whoever-the-fucks showed up so we need the hel- OW!" He was cut short by a sharp punch to the forearm by his sister. Jeremiah looked over at Faith and shrugged in confusion.

Jasper rubbed his arm better and continued. "As I was saying; we think so. But it's a bit bleaker than that. We found a prison. It's connected to somewhere else and it's in the sewers. Blows my mind no one's found it. Or it's just that no one's had the gall to report it. Or they did and they died. Who knows." His gaze passing back to Jeremiah.

"If you can punch through walls, we need that. The prison is guarded by a wall of iron. Something magic too. And they upped security since we left..." Jasper rubbed his head embarrassingly and his sister shook her head, two fingers pressed to the bridge of her nose.

Jeremiah cleared his would be throat. "We can help." He spoke proudly. "Who are we looking to save? Once we clear them we can see where the prison ends up on the other side." Jasper's face went pale and angry.

"...Girls. Lots of em'. To be trafficked I'd imagine. Too young to have to be dealing with this shit." He clenched his fist, and magic snaked up his arm. Opal grabbed his hand and did some breathing exercises to calm him down.

It was a huge amount to take in after being little more than a sleeping passenger as Melody had battled throughout the night. Faith trusted Jeremiah, though, and he seemed to trust these people. She smiled a bit as the twins fawned over him, and her brow creased at Jasper and Axel's shouting match.

The news of the prison sent a cold shiver down her spine and a sickness formed in her belly. Was this prison where she would have been taken if the band of ruffians had overpowered her? "How many?" she blurted out, surprising even herself with the forcefulness of the question. "Erm, how many women are there?" She needed to know.

"Lots," Opal repeated Jasper's assessment. "I'd say thirty at least. Most of them are grown enough but..." she looked as though she needed to physically regroup to say the rest of her thought, "...some are barely more than children. They'll need more help with the escape." The disgust on the young woman's face was only outshone by the rage that seared through her eyes.

Marius broke the tension. "We must go at once, there's no telling when they will be moved. Cargo that precious will be kept close, we may have found our entrance." He addressed Faith and Jeremiah to fill them in.

"The Urathiin are cautious. Fromiere's location is well known, but he is protected by his status. Furthermore, nothing can be directly tied to him. But the rest of them operate below ground, or so we believe. If we can get into their heart, and better yet, find Fromiere in the thick of it, we may have a chance to take them down." He spoke to the group at large once more. "We will only get one chance. The Syndicate is smart. If we fail, they will relocate, and it will be years before we get another chance like this."

Faith tilted her head in curiosity. "How do you know so much about these people?" she asked. Jasper immediately opened his mouth and started to speak, but Opal shut him up with another hard punch to his arm. Axel looked at Marius with tight lips.

Marius' face was dark. "I have had... personal dealings with the family. That is all I care to say." Faith looked down, embarrassed. She had not meant to pry.

Opal piped in to resolve the awkwardness. "So, uh, you can punch through walls," she pointed to Jeremiah, and then to Faith. "What can you do?" Her words weren't aggressive, but her question was clear. How can you contribute?

Faith looked back up at the question. "Oh, well, I am a cleric, a follower of the Holy Creator and competent with healing magic and some shielding spells." She was being modest, but pride was not something that Faith embodied.

• Thoughtful
"Agreed."
The automaton clapped his fist and palm together, exerting steam from his knuckles. A determination in his voice not yet heard by even himself. This crime was unforgivable and he was tired of sitting around being repaired like he was helpless. He had been blessed with greater strength than most living creatures. He wouldn't squander that in a hole waiting for injuries he couldn't feel to get better.

"I feel no need to stand around any longer. Fromiere and his ugly ways will meet their maker this day. We must make haste as Marius has stated. To think of the suffering those poor girls must be enduring..." He grinded his fist into his palm making flecks of bronze scrape and fall. True anger expressed from a machine.

Jasper gulped watching Jeremiah fume. "Y-yeah!" He regained his composure. "Fuck the lot of em'! I'm with Mr. Bronze! Let's knock em' dead while we have the up on them! Axel!" His yelling caused poor Axel to drop a wrench he was looking at. "You still got more of those staffs? We're gonna need em'!"

"Of course, you blockhead! What good would you be without my expertise? Hmph!"
Axel retorted, causing uproariously laughter in Jasper. Jeremiah turned to Opal.

"There is naught that my fist cannot pass through." The anger in his voice did not seem to subside or have any plans to. "Take note, too, that Faith is of utmost importance in this mission. She can provide more emotional, spiritual and medical support than all of us, I'd assume. I have no idea what the two of you are capable of."

Axel passed a staff to each of the twins and offered one to Faith and Jeremiah as well. Jeremiah rejected the offer.

"What the hell are we waiting for then!?" Exclaimed Jasper in a final hurrah for the teams next dangerous mission.

• Dwarf
Faith witnessed once more the righteous fury ignite within Jeremiah. She remembered how he had killed the criminals from his banquet, images of blood and fury and snapping bones. It frightened her, she could not pretend that it didn't, but it did not frighten her as much as it had before. This time she knew their cause was just. This time she knew no one would come to help them. This time she felt an anger of her own.

The Sisters of the convent did not believe in anger. Anger clouded the mind, dampened the connection with the divine. Faith agreed, but should she not also feel disgust at the suffering of others? Should she not wish punishment upon the wicked, and was it not her duty to intervene wherever evil reared its head?

She felt excitement, born of the mixture of fear and anger. She took a staff from Axel. It was heavy, but she was comforted by the weight. It felt sturdy, and her hand held it with a practiced grip. Odd that it felt so familiar, she had never wielded such a weapon before. A tickle in the back of her mind told her that Melody had. Muscle memory was apparently not separated between the two of them.

Opal did not punch Jasper this time, and instead gave a whoop of her own at the proclamation. She took a staff and gave it a few spins in front of her. "Feels good to hold one of these again," and she banged it on the floor a few times sending a brief shimmer of red sparks from the tip. She looked at Faith.

"A healer, eh? Good. Haven't had one of your lot since Patrice, and it's been hell ever since. Glad you're with us, hon." She winked it a way that made Faith blush before turning her attention back to the automaton. "We can take care of ourselves alright. Jasper here can blast apart a catapult and half an army with it. And I'm what you might call a 'conduit.' Whatever you can do, I'll make sure you do it better."

Marius moved across the room. "Opal magnifies magical energy," he explained, clearly tired of her flowery stories. "Come now, all of you, we'll go out the back." He lead them to a heavy metal door at the back of the cellar. Before reaching it he stopped and clapped a hand on Axel's shoulder. "This is it," he said quietly. "See that everyone gets a full pack. And thank you, friend. For everything." His gray eyes were soft for but a moment, and then he left to open the door.

Faith followed but stuck close to Jeremiah. Axel handed her a medium-sized satchel that clinked metallically as she hefted it over her shoulder. What on Arethil was inside? Opal and Jasper picked up their packs as if it were an every-day thing, and Opal gave a little salute to Axel before she went to join Marius.

• Dwarf
Axel offered Jeremiah a satchel as well but he fervently declined. "I believe you make nothing but useful tools, dear friend, but as a tool myself I would find it rather overkill." He patted Axel on the shoulder as he followed suit behind everyone. He looked back towards Faith;

"Are you ready for what's to come? I'm not going to pretend that there won't be an egregious death toll. But we will win this day." His voice was stern but confident, and hopeful. Jeremiah believed in this group. He feared the worst, as anyone should, but had faith they would come out alive and on top of this daunting task.

"Allllllright!" Called Jasper, "One syndicate leader head on a pike, here we come!" His excitement was palpable. Even his sister was sneaking a grin. It must have been a long time coming for these folks. They made their way outside, Jasper and Opal leading, Faith and Jeremiah behind them, and Marius on the tail end.

They walked for while. The destination was still unknown to the larger half of the group and so they needed to trust Jasper and Opal's judgement on leading. Jeremiah had left his coat and top hat behind for this, as he was not in the mood for dramatizations. They likely had a while to go, and so Jeremiah asked;

"Jasper, Opal, what is your connection to the Urathiin?" An audible sigh escaped from Marius as this was inquired about. There was a silence from the front for moments, though it would have felt like ages. Eventually, Jasper spoke up.

"Our parents cut a deal with them a few years back." Opal shifted uncomfortably. "Fromiere made promises. Big ones. So long as they could pay back what they owed. What they didn't expect was their interest. The price they owed continued to increase an impossible amount. Mother started working as a waitress and at a brothel. Father started to steal, anything he could. Eventually they tried to reason with Fromiere, and..." His magic glowed on his arm heavy again. Opal touched his other arm gently.

"Well, the rest is fucking history."

-------

"Awh, look at their little party of defiance." A wild haired woman mused from the rooftop above Faith and the rest of them. "Should we jump em' now? Aren't you itching to make that old man pay?" Rory stood beside her with rage filling his eyes.

"Fuck off with yer jests, Noelle. He'll fucking get his when it comes. It's the workshop we're after now. Aye big guy." Rory turned his head to a figure sitting behind him. "I can only imagine how much you wanna fight that Jeremiah freak, seeing as you are basically kin, why don't you go have some fun?"

The figure stood up. The moonlight illuminated him as steam shot from his forearms. An automaton, hulking and standing at what must be eight feet in height. Metal of a dark silver reflecting the celestial body's light back to the sky. He bore a bowler hat and a pleasant looking suit vest.

"Jeremiah Hoarfrost," The hulking machine bellowed. "How will you react when you learn that I am the one who killed your master?"

• Scared
Faith looked at the ground as she pondered Jeremiah’s question. He wasn’t wrong, she knew, there was likely to be tremendous violence ahead. The people they were fighting weren’t exactly going to lie down and “come quietly,” as was the term. She knew there would be death. She knew that there would be suffering. She knew that, despite her best efforts, she may not be able to save everyone.

She looked back up, forcing a soft smile amidst worried eyes. ”Yes, thank you, Jeremiah. You are kind to check on me, but I have dealt with evil before. I wish that our mission was not necessary, but if we succeed we will prevent much more death and suffering.” It was a fine line to walk, balancing lives taken with lives saved. Deaths prevented over deaths caused. It was a calculus she hoped never to do, but one that found her all the same. All she could do was look for guidance from God, and the divine fire that filled her reassured her that their cause was just.

She kept stride with Jeremiah, taking comfort in his presence, though her face was sad at Jasper’s story. She wished that it was something she hadn’t heard before, but it was a common tale. Evil men extorting the vulnerable, people forced to take any means to provide for themselves and their families. She felt anger thinking about it. A righteous fury that no amount of prayer could fully suppress. Evil needed to be punished.

Opal’s face was dark as her brother told their story, and Faith noticed for the first time the weapons she carried. A crossbow with a quiver at her hip, and a long straight sword. The young woman’s gait wasn’t altered in the least by the heavy items, and Faith realized that she must be incredibly strong.

They continued for several blocks, taking a path that made no sense to Faith unless it was meant to lose any potential followers. They zig-zagged through allies and across side-streets, until finally reaching a rather inconspicuous looking building. A very narrow space between it and an adjacent home lead behind it, and a singular sewer grate rested there. Faith wrinkled her nose at the smell.

Opal and Jasper hefted the grate aside with effort. “Ladies first,” Opal beckoned to her brother. He rolled his eyes and hopped down.

• Thoughtful
Jeremiah was lucky in this moment that he could not wear an expression. He trusted Faith, but could not be rid of the feeling of worry that dwell within his heart. He wanted her to be safe and though he knew she wasn't weak... The fact that Rory had dealt with both of them like rag dolls added to that feeling. If that's how powerful he was then what were they about to face?

The rest of the walk post Jasper's explanation was silent. Just the birds of morn and some scurrying rats. It didn't seem that it was much longer now. Before he knew it they were. Jasper entered first and Opal followed. Jeremiah insisted that Faith and Marius go before him. He would help both of them lower themselves downward until they were placed firmly on the ladder leading. When Marius reached the bottom, Jeremiah looked down upon them all.

"C'mon, jump! I'm sure you'll be fine. It's a lot of fun too!" Jasper called in a low voice, trying to keep the volume down from here on out. Jeremiah planned to once everyone had moved out of the way, but heard something. Footsteps. Heavy ones. "Hmm?" He mumbled as he peered back. They grew closer and closer. Eventually a shadowy figure barely illuminated by the torches of Vel Anir's slums stood in the alleyway. It was far too tall and wide to fit in this area. Jeremiah saw steam escape the behemoth's shoulders.

"Egads." He exclaimed. "You're like me!" He couldn't pull his eyes away. There was another of him, right before him. It was a miracle.

"Jeremiah." The mechanical beast spoke. Jeremiah reeled in surprise. "Please die."

"...Wha-"
Before Jeremiah's word escaped him the giant automaton placed its hands on the buildings parallel to the alley, and pushed. He scraped through wall like it was dirty and marched towards the party.

"Oh, dear." Jeremiah leapt into the sewer beside everyone. "I believe we're going to want to run."

Last edited:
  • Wonder